• 1 Post By Jelllo

post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2016, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
nVidia Shield and LG 6 OLEDs

Hi,

I am struggling with my nVidia Shield and my LG B6. Before I spam the owners thread I thought I open a new one.

Can anyone give the correct settings the Shield as well as the HDMI input on the TV have to be set to for 4K?

If I set the TV to Deep Color on the HDMI input to be able to play HDR content from the Shield, I am suffering from crushed blacks. If I set the black level on the TV to high it reveals all details, but the picture is washed out. If I disable Deep Color on the HDMI input the crched blacks mostly disappear, but then I can't play any HDR content from the Shield.

This is almost like back in the day when 1080p displays and sources had the wrong RGB range (full vs. limited).

Has anyone gone through this before and has some hints for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2016, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
You could try changing screen settings so that they match the content you are watching. Shield has a bug where it switches output to RGB if it sets refresh rate automatically.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...06817/#5006817
post #3 of 6 Old 12-31-2016, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrbot View Post
You could try changing screen settings so that they match the content you are watching. Shield has a bug where it switches output to RGB if it sets refresh rate automatically.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...06817/#5006817
Thanks, but I don't think it actually applies to my case. They are talking about a bug that causes the Shield to fallback to RGB output when automatic frame rate switching is used in apps like Plex. Which I don't do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Thanks, but I don't think it actually applies to my case. They are talking about a bug that causes the Shield to fallback to RGB output when automatic frame rate switching is used in apps like Plex. Which I don't do.
I know the pain. I have a B6 and a Shield. I use deep color, and black level low on the TV. On the Shield I am using 4:4:4 and 4k output at 24 hz. I don't care about HDR as my OPPO 203 will do that now. I use Kodi and after playing around with the settings color was washed out. I was so fed up I installed the beta version of Kodi and hated it. I deleted that and reinstalled the release version again. I don't know what I did, but the color is back to normal again so I am not touching any more settings. One would think that the picture quality would be better with the Shield, but for me the OPPO 203 gives a noticeable better picture, but doesn't play some of my BR rips due to Cinavia protection. I think the problem lies with Android TV and hopefully everything is better with the new version coming in a month or 2.

On the B6 have you calibrated it yet? I used the settings that Darko posted on you tube along with adjusting brightness and contrast. It helped a lot with black levels.

Sorry I can't post a link because my post count isn't high enough, but if you search "lg b6 darko" you will find it.
funkahdafi likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you @jello , appreciate the input. No, my set isn't calibrated and probably never will be. Calibration pros are hard to come by here in Germany.

In the meantime, I have tweaked a few settings here and there and I am semi-happy now with the picture. I guess I'll be tweaking more over the coming weeks, but at least I am in a spot now that lets me focus on and enjoy the content that I am watching without constantly worrying and wanting to improve the PQ.

I am going to check out that Youtube video you suggested though.

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone found a way to fix the black issue with the Nvidia shield and the LG Oled's? I'm about to take delivery of a shield tomorrow but it'll be going back if I can't get the colour space right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page