Ask the Editors: Should I Buy an OLED or LCD TV? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 298Likes

post #181 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thank you Scott. I was on the fence about just getting a new LCD for the family room, it I'll wait for the 17 OLEDs to appear first. It's a shame that the brick and mortar stores do such a poor job of displaying the sets properly as to showcase the significant advantages of OLED technology............... but on second thought from a business perspective when you have 30 competitive models of LED tech to move, might be more advantageous to level the playing field. LOL
RoadLizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
Thank you Scott. I was on the fence about just getting a new LCD for the family room, it I'll wait for the 17 OLEDs to appear first. It's a shame that the brick and mortar stores do such a poor job of displaying the sets properly as to showcase the significant advantages of OLED technology............... but on second thought from a business perspective when you have 30 competitive models of LED tech to move, might be more advantageous to level the playing field. LOL
Yep, sadly, stores mostly do a terrible job at setting up TVs and showcasing them. At least my local Best Buy has a magnolia center that's actually decent. They have the high end TVs in there and it's much easier to compare them since the room is darker than the showroom and they are running actual blu Ray or UHD content versus some stupid store feed or whatever.

Still, most TVs are not setup properly and the average consumer is NOT getting to see the TV in its best state. Ugh.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #183 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked: 3038
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
As someone who jumped in plasma at its zenith with the Kuro followed by the ZT60, I really couldn't disagree with your assessment more. The LG hatorade is strong in you. Even a 65" ZT60 next to a 55" OLED was a difficult decision for viewing at times (content dependent). I'm sure the larger you go, the greater the gap of immersion between a flatscreen and a projector becomes, but even at the movie theater, I feel that is canceled out somewhat by the middling contrast and dark grays. The last film I saw in the theater, The Revenant, was ruined by the abominable contrast in the night scenes.

No hatorade, simply the fact that I've yet to own an LG product that didn't fail spectacularly. Why would I put myself in that situation, willfully, again?

Also. I have several models from a niche TV tech that has already gone the way of the dodo and there were a whole THREE manufacturers making those.

As for the theater: my modest setup bests what my local cinema can produce so you'll get no arguments there. Still fail to see the correlation to this discussion though.

As for OLED vs plasma. OLED has better blacks... and worse everything else. The contrast is stunning, true, but the motion is middling and the value is poor. I also haven't seen an OLED that produces accurate color without a calibration. But, as people don't get calibrations, out-of-the-box accuracy is important. Maybe that's changed recently. I don't care really because it's still too small.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 02-15-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I would love to see the scientific data that debunks the "myths" of breaking in speakers or plasmas!

Oh, BTW, are you always this pleasant when posting to someone for the first time?

The mods won't like me but: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...act-or-fiction

"In an electrodynamic driver featuring the usual surround-diaphragm-spider construction, driver suspension mechanical compliance plays a key roll in determining the measured value of various driver parameters. All of these parameters will shift as the mechanical compliance of the driver's suspension shifts in value. The bulk of a driver's compliance shift will occur at the time of initial burn in."

FYI the "initial burn in" happens in the first few few seconds of using the speaker.

And, yes, I'm always this pleasant. What, you want me to tuck you in and bring you a hot cocoa?

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #185 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The mods won't like me but: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...act-or-fiction

"In an electrodynamic driver featuring the usual surround-diaphragm-spider construction, driver suspension mechanical compliance plays a key roll in determining the measured value of various driver parameters. All of these parameters will shift as the mechanical compliance of the driver's suspension shifts in value. The bulk of a driver's compliance shift will occur at the time of initial burn in."

FYI the "initial burn in" happens in the first few few seconds of using the speaker.

And, yes, I'm always this pleasant. What, you want me to tuck you in and bring you a hot cocoa?
Not that I disagree with this, but I'd just like to point out that it says "the bulk of", which means not all, so that indicates that there is more shifting that occurs after the initial burn in. How much, or how long after, may or may not be significant, but the implication is there.

post #186 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Truly a tough call. Last September I grabbed a UH8500, love it...yet cant stand the blacks most of the time. Got bias lights that help tremendously, yet still isn't perfect as those pillars appear time to time. Last week wife got so tired of me complaining she grabbed a B6 and surprised me with the invoice to pick up the next day. Long story short I decided not to grab it as new sets dropping soon. She got it for $2,999. See my plan is come September this year, after current payment on UH8500 that will bring it down to around a grand. Figured i would sell it, pay it off (before interest charges take over as I had 1 year interest free.) then grab an OLED.

As days past, I am pondering if I made a bad decision. Seeing there wont be a B6, as the B7 drops, I am wondering how much more it would be than the B6 was last week. They will hold price for 30 days, as right now it went up to $3,500. So i think you can see my thoughts on this... If i wait, no more B6's available perhaps and the B7 if more than $2,999 is out of reach money wise. So I am so confused on what to do. As said those bias lights help allot, very impressive just how much, yet 80% of my viewing is in a darker environment, so the LG OLED seems to be the right path to take. Anyways, would love to get some of your thoughts on this and perhaps save my sanity at the same time. Thanks for taking the time all. peace.
post #187 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3889
Quote:
No hatorade, simply the fact that I've yet to own an LG product that didn't fail spectacularly. Why would I put myself in that situation, willfully, again?

Also. I have several models from a niche TV tech that has already gone the way of the dodo and there were a whole THREE manufacturers making those.

As for the theater: my modest setup bests what my local cinema can produce so you'll get no arguments there. Still fail to see the correlation to this discussion though.

As for OLED vs plasma. OLED has better blacks... and worse everything else. The contrast is stunning, true, but the motion is middling and the value is poor. I also haven't seen an OLED that produces accurate color without a calibration. But, as people don't get calibrations, out-of-the-box accuracy is important. Maybe that's changed recently. I don't care really because it's still too small.
Sorry but you are clueless about LG Oled beats all my prior plasmas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
video_analysis likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #188 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Not that I disagree with this, but I'd just like to point out that it says "the bulk of", which means not all, so that indicates that there is more shifting that occurs after the initial burn in. How much, or how long after, may or may not be significant, but the implication is there.

There's an anecdote of a speaker system that he tested over a four year time frame with no discernible difference in response.

Your LCD has no moving parts besides maybe the twisting of the crystals themselves. Some materials could be subject to heat expansion but LCD usually isn't too susceptible to that. So the question becomes: what could possibly be 'breaking-in' on such a device? Even the bugaboo about plasma's 'initial phosphor aging' was way overblown but continued to persist as it was an issue that effected the tech very early in it's life cycle.

There is, however, numerous psychological explanations for why something would look better to you despite nothing actually changing with the device itself. That's why measurements are so important. That's why science is so important. It serves to separate our feeling from fact.

post #189 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Yeah, they do - the actually murder them and it isnt even close. Amazingly, the vast majority of us ex-KURO and whatever other plasma owners all get this. Thats fine if this other person does not. Not a big deal. Of course, OLED beats plasma in a LOT more areas than just blacks but we dont have to go there. If someone is content to just stick with a projector or their plasma...so be it. Meanwhile, Ill thoroughly enjoy my wickedly good PQ. All good.
npsacobra likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #190 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
There's an anecdote of a speaker system that he tested over a four year time frame with no discernible difference in response.

Your LCD has no moving parts besides maybe the twisting of the crystals themselves. Some materials could be subject to heat expansion but LCD usually isn't too susceptible to that. So the question becomes: what could possibly be 'breaking-in' on such a device? Even the bugaboo about plasma's 'initial phosphor aging' was way overblown but continued to persist as it was an issue that effected the tech very early in it's life cycle.

There is, however, numerous psychological explanations for why something would look better to you despite nothing actually changing with the device itself. That's why measurements are so important. That's why science is so important. It serves to separate our feeling from fact.
I do not now, nor have I ever owned, an LCD TV lol.

Again, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with the point made, just stating that by his own words, he is saying that not all changes will effect at burn in. Just most. Whether that makes any discernible difference, I don't know, and was never arguing to know. Just pointing out that the quote you used to prove a point, when looked at closely, could potentially make the opposite argument you intended to make, by using the quote.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 02-15-2017 at 09:41 AM.
post #191 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Careful, your fan-boy is showing.

In your opinion. In my opinion it still has a ways to go. And, to be fair, OLED is a relatively new tech with all of ONE manufacturers working to improve it. Plasma, at it's death, was a mature tech that had squeezed all that they could possibly get out of it. OLED will, most likely, get there. But I still see a few issues that they need to address. Namely, OLED has the same motion issues as LCD. Compared to tech that doesn't suffer sample-and-hold (CRT, plasma, DLP) that difference is very obvious to me and the measures used to combat it are imperfect (namely BFI and CFI). I can only game on my plasmas and even a dedicated gaming LCD with 1ms gtg is still a mess in quick action.

Also, LG needs to not be the only game in town.

post #192 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Careful, your fan-boy is showing.

In your opinion. In my opinion it still has a ways to go. And, to be fair, OLED is a relatively new tech with all of ONE manufacturers working to improve it. Plasma, at it's death, was a mature tech that had squeezed all that they could possibly get out of it. OLED will, most likely, get there. But I still see a few issues that they need to address. Namely, OLED has the same motion issues as LCD. Compared to tech that doesn't suffer sample-and-hold (CRT, plasma, DLP) that difference is very obvious to me and the measures used to combat it are imperfect (namely BFI and CFI). I can only game on my plasmas and even a dedicated gaming LCD with 1ms gtg is still a mess in quick action.

Also, LG needs to not be the only game in town.
Why exactly are you here other than to inject projectors as an off topic discussion ?

I speak from the perspective of actual ownership versus reading reviews. You are free to disagree obviously but alot of the things you are stating are simply inaccurate.

losservatore likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #193 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
I do not now, nor have I ever owned, an LCD TV lol.

Again, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with the point made, just stating that by his own words, he is saying that not all changes will effect at burn in. Just most. Whether that makes any discernible difference, I don't know, and was never arguing to know. Just pointing out that the quote you used to prove a point, when looked at closely, could potentially make the opposite argument you intended to make, by using the quote.

Sorry, confused you with djoberg.

Here is his quote that I was calling into question: "I noticed a marked improvement after the first 200 hours on my Sony 940D."
If someone could explain to me how an LCD 'breaks-in' I'd be more than happy to entertain that discussion. Sorry again for confusing you with someone else.

post #194 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why exactly are you here other than to inject projectors as an off topic discussion ?

I speak from the perspective of actual ownership versus reading reviews. You are free to disagree obviously but alot of the things you are stating are simply inaccurate.

Chunon, I'm simply having some fun and playing devil's advocate.

Please point out what I've gotten wrong (that isn't opinion).

Has OLED suddenly become a value proposition like plasma was? Is there another manufacturer of OLED televisions other than LG that I can buy from? Can I even buy a flat panel display that doesn't suffer sample and hold? There's a difference between liking something and defending it's merits and straight up being defensive.

post #195 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 655
I'm late to this thread but enjoyed reading through it. Mostly.

My $.02, as a current owner of both OLED and LCD:

If I had to buy a 65" or small display right now I would only consider OLED. If I had to buy a 75" or larger set right now I'd buy an LCD, probably a 2016 at close out prices. Or, wait yet another year entirely for 2018 when we should see QDCF LCDs from Samsung as well as further shakeout of HDR standards.

When the 77" OLED is in sort-of reasonable land, say $10k, which I fully expect in 2018 (and POSSIBLY Black Friday 2017 for the LG 77" via the internet guys), then I'd go that route.

My issue is that I'm currently replacing a 75" edge lit low/mid tier 1080p Samsung from 2013. I want to both go bigger and better. But as amazing as the OLED is, it's not "bigger enough." That left the 80, 85/86, and 88" LCDs. It's crazy how low the pricing is on these right now.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #196 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Chunon, I'm simply having some fun and playing devil's advocate.

Please point out what I've gotten wrong (that isn't opinion).

Has OLED suddenly become a value proposition like plasma was? Is there another manufacturer of OLED televisions other than LG that I can buy from? Can I even buy a flat panel display that doesn't suffer sample and hold? There's a difference between liking something and defending it's merits and straight up being defensive.
Value is subjective , I paid $2500 no tax for my 65" C6. Given the performance I consider that a good value. You stated the ootb performance and color accuracy are poor. That is incorrect both are certainly within accepted de parameters with no calibration..Much better than Plasmas ootb performance.

Motion is very subjective not really going to argue that. I have no issues with motion but others don't feel the same.

As far as LG goes I think they suffer from some bias. I have found the build quality to be sound and the customer service to be outstanding. Sony is jumping in now along with several other companies in Europe.

What i find tiring is people wanting to potshot the technology with no actual viewing experience. My C6 is the best set I have owned hands down. Are Oleds perfect ? No . They are pretty darn close tho imo

fafrd and Superman23 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #197 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Value is subjective , I paid $2500 no tax for my 65" C6. Given the performance I consider that a good value. You stated the ootb performance and color accuracy are poor. That is incorrect both are certainly within accepted de parameters with no calibration..Much better than Plasmas ootb performance.

Motion is very subjective not really going to argue that. I have no issues with motion but others don't feel the same.

As far as LG goes I think they suffer from some bias. I have found the build quality to be sound and the customer service to be outstanding. Sony is jumping in now along with several other companies in Europe.

What i find tiring is people wanting to potshot the technology with no actual viewing experience. My C6 is the best set I have owned hands down. Are Oleds perfect ? No . They are pretty darn close tho imo

Couldn't agree with you more! The whole reason I held out so long on buying an OLED is because of all of the talk about the motion issues. I am a motion snob! LOL! So I was like I'll just hold onto my ZT60 as long as I can until OLED fixes their motion issues. Well I got tired of waiting and took the plunge last Saturday. I haven't experienced any motion issues with my 4 day old B6 and think its just as good handling motion as my ZT60! I've played Madden, Tomb Raider, watched Force Awakens and everything was stunning! Perfect Blacks, Bright Colors and no motion issues at all. I have all of the enhancements turned off as that is what I've always done with my plasmas. I couldn't be happier!

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
post #198 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

I went to see the LG OLED65G6P and the Sony XBR-65Z9D at my local PC Richards and could see the LG looked very good, but black levels on the Sony were so close to the LG I need to get up to 1 foot's distance to see that difference. Brightness on the Sony was far superior, and when feeding non-HDR video the Sony Z9D wins hands down, the colors were so much better. I cannot go with LG over this Z9D, plus 3D is still in play for the Z9D. Now that most viewing will be from Fios TV sources the LG cannot be my choice, I think in 2020 we get regular HDR/4K Broadcasts, but until then LG better come up with better processing.
post #199 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez176 View Post
I went to see the LG OLED65G6P and the Sony XBR-65Z9D at my local PC Richards and could see the LG looked very good, but black levels on the Sony were so close to the LG I need to get up to 1 foot's distance to see that difference. Brightness on the Sony was far superior, and when feeding non-HDR video the Sony Z9D wins hands down, the colors were so much better. I cannot go with LG over this Z9D, plus 3D is still in play for the Z9D. Now that most viewing will be from Fios TV sources the LG cannot be my choice, I think in 2020 we get regular HDR/4K Broadcasts, but until then LG better come up with better processing.
Sounds like you are making the right choice for you. Not arguing led vs Oled just countering another posters statements. If you are trying to start an argument not really interested in that.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #200 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more! The whole reason I held out so long on buying an OLED is because of all of the talk about the motion issues. I am a motion snob! LOL! So I was like I'll just hold onto my ZT60 as long as I can until OLED fixes their motion issues. Well I got tired of waiting and took the plunge last Saturday. I haven't experienced any motion issues with my 4 day old B6 and think its just as good handling motion as my ZT60! I've played Madden, Tomb Raider, watched Force Awakens and everything was stunning! Perfect Blacks, Bright Colors and no motion issues at all. I have all of the enhancements turned off as that is what I've always done with my plasmas. I couldn't be happier!

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase!
Try playing something where you can turn the motion blur off. Specifically something fast paced and twitchy. Titanfall 2 is a good test. Ironically, so too are any classic games like what you could emulate or play on a NES classic. If you don't see it: congratulations. Honestly, I wish I could unsee it. Actually... DON'T do anything I just said because going looking for things like this is a bad idea. Just enjoy your display.

post #201 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Try playing something where you can turn the motion blur off. Specifically something fast paced and twitchy. Titanfall 2 is a good test. Ironically, so too are any classic games like what you could emulate or play on a NES classic. If you don't see it: congratulations. Honestly, I wish I could unsee it. Actually... DON'T do anything I just said because going looking for things like this is a bad idea. Just enjoy your display.
LOL! I hear ya! I'm really trying not to look to hard for these flaws and am trying to enjoy it. I've got the new Street Fighter V game so I'll try that next. That's pretty fast so it should be a good test. But like you said I'm gonna try not too look to hard for flaws and just enjoy it.
sage11x likes this.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
post #202 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess my response to this would be how do you think that bias got started? Lol! LG has made some real stinkers in the past. I accept that fact may have changed over the years but it doesn't make me any more eager to jump in to a multi-thousand dollar purchase having the past experiences I've had.

I'm sorry, Chunon, but the fact that OLED is only made and marketed (currently) by one company is a downer. That's not an indictment of the tech itself but you sure as hell bet that it's a factor in many peoples decision making.

But, again, I'm glad your experience has been trouble free.

post #203 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4364 Post(s)
Liked: 3808
Come in, sage, the water's fine. All of the issues you elevate to showstopping status are the hallmarks of someone looking in from the outside and reading the negative nancies. Colors bad? They're no less accurate OOTB than the ZT60. Yea, this conversation is over. Bringing the commercial movie theater experience to the fore in this discussion is applicable since it's indicative of the average contrast ratio one might expect from an affordable projector.

To counter your LG experience, my mum has a G3 smartphone (2013 or 2014 model) that is still afloat (I think the ambient light sensor might be broken because the screen brightness doesn't auto-adjust anymore, could be blocked by debris, but the phone is otherwise fine). I have one of their Blu-ray burners in my PC that is AOK (doesn't get much use admittedly). I bought a 2010 LG Black Friday LCD for my pops, and that one is still working (amazing uniformity, a shame about the black levels).

Samsung who are busy creating dangerously flawed products and rubbing their fingers together to try to create more LCD magic (misusing the QLED acronym no less) are the ones you should really be flinging you're hate at (I do, whenever possible).
chunon likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 02-15-2017 at 12:16 PM.
post #204 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
I guess my response to this would be how do you think that bias got started? Lol! LG has made some real stinkers in the past. I accept that fact may have changed over the years but it doesn't make me any more eager to jump in to a multi-thousand dollar purchase having the past experiences I've had.

I'm sorry, Chunon, but the fact that OLED is only made and marketed (currently) by one company is a downer. That's not an indictment of the tech itself but you sure as hell bet that it's a factor in many peoples decision making.

But, again, I'm glad your experience has been trouble free.
Well Sony and Panasonic also use OLED this year. LG Electronic is not alone anymore.

Unless you're taking about OLED panel manufacturer. They are made by LG Display, a different company than LG Electronic. The same company that already provide most current Sony panel for exemple. So this is just business as usual.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by Quebecker; 02-15-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #205 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
I will not trade my oled back to plasma.

Plasma phosphors.

Last edited by losservatore; 02-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.
post #206 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
I will not trade my oled back to plasma.

Plasma phosphors.
or the heat

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 02-15-2017 at 01:08 PM.
post #207 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 58
As someone who owns an OLED TV I would say go for it. And my experience is from the LG EC9300 from 2014. The newest ones have HDR, 4K(if you care about that...I don't) and better motion handling(the EC9300 motion handling is decent but could use some improvement). The blacks and colors are just amazing and the ABL isn't really even noticeable to me. When I went shopping for a new TV back in May of 2015 I didn't want another backlit display and I'm so glad I didn't get one.
post #208 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Come in, sage, the water's fine. All of the issues you elevate to showstopping status are the hallmarks of someone looking in from the outside and reading the negative nancies. Colors bad? They're no less accurate OOTB than the ZT60. Yea, this conversation is over. Bringing the commercial movie theater experience to the fore in this discussion is applicable since it's indicative of the average contrast ratio one might expect from an affordable projector.

To counter your LG experience, my mum has a G3 smartphone (2013 or 2014 model) that is still afloat (I think the ambient light sensor might be broken because the screen brightness doesn't auto-adjust anymore, could be blocked by debris, but the phone is otherwise fine). I have one of their Blu-ray burners in my PC that is AOK (doesn't get much use admittedly). I bought a 2010 LG Black Friday LCD for my pops, and that one is still working (amazing uniformity, a shame about the black levels).

Samsung who are busy creating dangerously flawed products and rubbing their fingers together to try to create more LCD magic (misusing the QLED acronym no less) are the ones you should really be flinging you're hate at (I do, whenever possible).
I'm glad you can give me anecdotal evidence of three LG products you know of that haven't failed. But having been a vendor for them for close to 7 years I would say: my experience is a *little* different than yours. I also might have a *little* better sample size for that anecdotal evidence.

And you can buy a $500 projector with better contrast than the local cinema. Again I fail to see the correlation. That would be like me comparing your flatscreen to the display wall BMW used at the auto show. Two completely different animals.

Last edited by sage11x; 02-15-2017 at 12:47 PM.
post #209 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4364 Post(s)
Liked: 3808
Now we've moved onto my anecdotes are better than your anecdotes. The Customer Report failure rate is all I need to see to know that its circumstantial noise.

I'm not aware of the contrast ratio values on those cheapie projectors, but I question how much I would have to fork out to get comparable performance to even a ZT60. I think only JVC offers anything comparable (may be outdated info). Even if I could, it wouldn't be enough after owning an OLED, bigger screen real estate be damned.
post #210 of 514 Old 02-15-2017, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
You are correct about sample hold being inferior to plasma. I am sad to see my plasma go because it has been the best gaming screen in my house, as far as motion handling is concerned. Gaming at high framerates with a pc on an OLED has taken a bit of getting used to. There are no trails with motion blur, like an lcd (especially the ks8000 I owned briefly). Instead, there is a slight blur to textures and detail when panning the camera. I do miss how the same action looked on a plasma, but the vibrancy of the image as well as 4k capability are a trade-off. I wasn't sure about it in the beginning, but a few months in and I am good with it. I even look forward to it and wouldn't trade back. Batman Arkham Knight is absolutely sublime on an OLED in 1440p. Granted, I'm not at the top of any multi-player rosters, but if that was important to me I would use a monitor. I've had my plasma unplugged and sitting on the dining room table for two and a half months, and just gave the lady the ok to list it.

Sent from an S7 Edge, because they took my Note 7.
sage11x and video_analysis like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
ask the editors , lcd , oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page