Recommended settings for the C6 OLED ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By fafrd
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Recommended settings for the C6 OLED ?

I just purchased this TV at a killer price(1499.00 OTD). Not too thrilled with the picture out of the box though, or the presets. Its not bad, just doesn't look AMAZING. I've tried blu rays, 4k (amazon) and cable. I tried the settings on Rtings but thought it made the picture look kind of dead. I'm also seeing a lot of black crush.
Does anyone have some settings I can try ? Are different settings needed for the C6 because its curved and has a different firmware than the "B" ?
Gdog2015 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 02-13-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
I just purchased this TV at a killer price(1499.00 OTD). Not too thrilled with the picture out of the box though, or the presets. Its not bad, just doesn't look AMAZING. I've tried blu rays, 4k (amazon) and cable. I tried the settings on Rtings but thought it made the picture look kind of dead. I'm also seeing a lot of black crush.
Does anyone have some settings I can try ? Are different settings needed for the C6 because its curved and has a different firmware than the "B" ?
Check out this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ck-detail.html

Here are my base settings for dark-room viewing:
ISF Dark
everything off
Contrast 85
Broghtness 50
OLED Light 45 (delivers about 170 cd/m2 peak)
Gamma BT.1886

Then if you want to reduce black crush and improve shadow detail, peruse that thread. In general, you want to go into 21-pt controls and raise 5% Adjusting Luminance to taste. You can try +5, +10, even +15 (or anything in between).

Whatever you raise 5% to, generally best to 'splice in' by raising 10% one notch less, 15% another notch less, etc... until you reach +1 and then leave the remainder of the 21-pt Adjustibg Luninance controls at 0.

Or invest ~$200 in a meter and learn to calibrate 21-pt greyscale/gamma controls in a repeatable manner - it's pretty easy ad the payoff with these OLEDs is big.

Attached is a scene from TRON II that my calibrated 65C6P displays levels of shadow detail I never knew were there .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1964673  
mttpalmer and buju22 like this.
fafrd is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Check out this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ck-detail.html

Here are my base settings for dark-room viewing:
ISF Dark
everything off
Contrast 85
Broghtness 50
OLED Light 45 (delivers about 170 cd/m2 peak)
Gamma BT.1886

Then if you want to reduce black crush and improve shadow detail, peruse that thread. In general, you want to go into 21-pt controls and raise 5% Adjusting Luminance to taste. You can try +5, +10, even +15 (or anything in between).

Whatever you raise 5% to, generally best to 'splice in' by raising 10% one notch less, 15% another notch less, etc... until you reach +1 and then leave the remainder of the 21-pt Adjustibg Luninance controls at 0.

Or invest ~$200 in a meter and learn to calibrate 21-pt greyscale/gamma controls in a repeatable manner - it's pretty easy ad the payoff with these OLEDs is big.

Attached is a scene from TRON II that my calibrated 65C6P displays levels of shadow detail I never knew were there .
Thank you. Those settings are a little dark for my taste, I'll keep messing around. Maybe I should pick up the Disney calibration disc.. I notice there is a "smart picture " option but it seems to be greyed out on all picture presets. Has anyone had success using that?

"Then if you want to reduce black crush and improve shadow detail, peruse that thread. In general, you want to go into 21-pt controls and raise 5% Adjusting Luminance to taste. You can try +5, +10, even +15 (or anything in between).

Whatever you raise 5% to, generally best to 'splice in' by raising 10% one notch less, 15% another notch less, etc... until you reach +1 and then leave the remainder of the 21-pt Adjustibg Luninance controls at 0."

Not sure what you mean by luminance, I dont see a setting for luminance.
Gdog2015 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
Thank you. Those settings are a little dark for my taste, I'll keep messing around. Maybe I should pick up the Disney calibration disc.. I notice there is a "smart picture " option but it seems to be greyed out on all picture presets. Has anyone had success using that?

"Then if you want to reduce black crush and improve shadow detail, peruse that thread. In general, you want to go into 21-pt controls and raise 5% Adjusting Luminance to taste. You can try +5, +10, even +15 (or anything in between).

Whatever you raise 5% to, generally best to 'splice in' by raising 10% one notch less, 15% another notch less, etc... until you reach +1 and then leave the remainder of the 21-pt Adjustibg Luninance controls at 0."

Not sure what you mean by luminance, I dont see a setting for luminance.
You can bump up the OLED Light higher and see if that helps you out. My settings are not far off from fafrd but I use a higher setting for OLED Light. My brightness is at 51 & Contrast at 86. I did the luminance adjustments too. I started with +10 and then counted down by 2's.... so +8, +6, +4, +2, 0

Keep in mind too that dark room means DARK room! No lights or you may find that the picture is a tad darker than you'd want. I have 2-3 different "base" settings that I use for different conditions. Try out my medium-bright room settings:

Picture Mode: Cinema
OLED Light: 65
Contrast: 86
Brightness: 51
Color/Tint: 52/0
H&V sharpness: 10/10
All enhancements OFF

Color Temp: Warm 1(you can try warm2 but warm1 works for cinema, IMO)
Gamma: BT1886
TruMotion: User - Deblur 0, DeJudder 10(personal preference here, experiment)

20 Point adjutsing luminance:
IRE 5: +10
IRE 10: +8
IRE 15: +6
IRE 20: +4
IRE 25: +2
All the rest = 0 or default

See what you think. These are for a moderately lit room or you could try them in adarker room but maybe drop the OLED light a little.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #5 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
You can bump up the OLED Light higher and see if that helps you out. My settings are not far off from fafrd but I use a higher setting for OLED Light. My brightness is at 51 & Contrast at 86. I did the luminance adjustments too. I started with +10 and then counted down by 2's.... so +8, +6, +4, +2, 0

Keep in mind too that dark room means DARK room! No lights or you may find that the picture is a tad darker than you'd want. I have 2-3 different "base" settings that I use for different conditions. Try out my medium-bright room settings:

Picture Mode: Cinema
OLED Light: 65
Contrast: 86
Brightness: 51
Color/Tint: 52/0
H&V sharpness: 10/10
All enhancements OFF

Color Temp: Warm 1(you can try warm2 but warm1 works for cinema, IMO)
Gamma: BT1886
TruMotion: User - Deblur 0, DeJudder 10(personal preference here, experiment)

20 Point adjutsing luminance:
IRE 5: +10
IRE 10: +8
IRE 15: +6
IRE 20: +4
IRE 25: +2
All the rest = 0 or default

See what you think. These are for a moderately lit room or you could try them in adarker room but maybe drop the OLED light a little.
Thank you for reply. Im still not following you on the IRE stuff. Here is my TV settings ...do we have the same firmware ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IRE.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1967001  
Gdog2015 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 10:58 AM
Member
 
MeximusPrime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
Thank you for reply. Im still not following you on the IRE stuff. Here is my TV settings ...do we have the same firmware ?
You are almost there. Click down one to IRE 100 and the select down to IRE 5. Then start adjusting luminance as per Road's comments.

LG OLED77C8P | Panasonic DP-UB820 | LG OLED65E7P | Sony UBP-X800 | LG OLED65C7P | LG OLED55B6P | Apple 4K TV x3
MeximusPrime is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
Thank you for reply. Im still not following you on the IRE stuff. Here is my TV settings ...do we have the same firmware ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeximusPrime View Post
You are almost there. Click down one to IRE 100 and the select down to IRE 5. Then start adjusting luminance as per Road's comments.
Exactly - just like that. .

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #8 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeximusPrime View Post
You are almost there. Click down one to IRE 100 and the select down to IRE 5. Then start adjusting luminance as per Road's comments.
OK. So as I am in the IRE menu, (where it says IRE-100)
and I set the adjusting luminance number for each IRE setting 5, 10 etc . Color looks a little weird now. I am using warm 2. I am assuming that even though the main screen only shows ONE IRE number at once, all of the other IRE settings are adjusted even though you cant see them without drilling down into the IRE menu.
Gdog2015 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
OK. So as I am in the IRE menu, (where it says IRE-100)
and I set the adjusting luminance number for each IRE setting 5, 10 etc . Color looks a little weird now. I am using warm 2. I am assuming that even though the main screen only shows ONE IRE number at once, all of the other IRE settings are adjusted even though you cant see them without drilling down into the IRE menu.
I am assuming if I turn the method back to 2 point it turns all of my IRE modifications off ? What does luminance do anyway ?
Gdog2015 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
I am assuming if I turn the method back to 2 point it turns all of my IRE modifications off ? What does luminance do anyway ?
2-pt and 21-pt complement each other (add).

2-pt low is effectively an offset over the entire luminance curve. 2-pt high is essentially a multiplication factor (scaling) over the entire luminance curve (limited effect at low IRE, maximum effect at high IRE).

21-pt is a series of local adjustments.

Since the lowest adjustment point is 5%, raising this is the most effective way to increase shadow detail.

After that bump at 5%, you want to increase the successive % values by less to blend into the default gamma curve in a smooth way.
fafrd is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
OK. So as I am in the IRE menu, (where it says IRE-100)
and I set the adjusting luminance number for each IRE setting 5, 10 etc . Color looks a little weird now. I am using warm 2. I am assuming that even though the main screen only shows ONE IRE number at once, all of the other IRE settings are adjusted even though you cant see them without drilling down into the IRE menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
2-pt and 21-pt complement each other (add).

2-pt low is effectively an offset over the entire luminance curve. 2-pt high is essentially a multiplication factor (scaling) over the entire luminance curve (limited effect at low IRE, maximum effect at high IRE).

21-pt is a series of local adjustments.

Since the lowest adjustment point is 5%, raising this is the most effective way to increase shadow detail.

After that bump at 5%, you want to increase the successive % values by less to blend into the default gamma curve in a smooth way.
I see. OK. so it sounds like If I want to reverse the changes that I did I would have to go into each individual IRE value. Changing it to 2pt low wont be enough.
Gdog2015 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Member
 
tony9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St Charles MO
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
please clarify....

I'm anxious to try the suggested CINEMA settings. Feel free to reply. So far I have the following:

Cinema
OLED light 65
Contrast 86
Brightness 51
Color 52
Tint 0
H sharpness 10
V sharpness 10

Expert controls
Dynamic contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Color Gamut Normal
Edge enhance Off
Color filter Off
Gamma BT1886

Picture options
Noise reduction Off
MPEG reduction Off
Black level Low
Motion eye care Off
TruMotion Off

White Balance
Color temp Warm 2
Pattern Outer
20-point adjust luminescence, 5 used:
IRE 5: +10
IRE 10: +8
IRE 15: +6
IRE 20: +4
IRE 25: +2
All the rest = 0



I like those above so far, I just want to be sure no setting was left out.

I was using Expert Dark Room settings recommended from Sound&Vision review - http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...29CXP5CfXI8.97

Thanks for any response & thanks to everyone on AVS Forum for their postings on the OLED55B6P (I've been following the pricing since OCT). The OLED replaced a KURO 4280, a nice upgrade for a price of $1189 .
tony9 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
I see. OK. so it sounds like If I want to reverse the changes that I did I would have to go into each individual IRE value. Changing it to 2pt low wont be enough.
I'm pretty sure there is a 'reset to defaults' control...
fafrd is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 02-16-2017, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony9 View Post
I'm anxious to try the suggested CINEMA settings. Feel free to reply. So far I have the following:

Cinema
OLED light 65
Contrast 86
Brightness 51
Color 52
Tint 0
H sharpness 10
V sharpness 10

Expert controls
Dynamic contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Color Gamut Normal
Edge enhance Off
Color filter Off
Gamma BT1886

Picture options
Noise reduction Off
MPEG reduction Off
Black level Low
Motion eye care Off
TruMotion Off

White Balance
Color temp Warm 2
Pattern Outer
20-point adjust luminescence, 5 used:
IRE 5: +10
IRE 10: +8
IRE 15: +6
IRE 20: +4
IRE 25: +2
All the rest = 0



I like those above so far, I just want to be sure no setting was left out.

I was using Expert Dark Room settings recommended from Sound&Vision review - http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...29CXP5CfXI8.97

Thanks for any response & thanks to everyone on AVS Forum for their postings on the OLED55B6P (I've been following the pricing since OCT). The OLED replaced a KURO 4280, a nice upgrade for a price of $1189 .
Confused. Are you using the Cinema settings you posted or the soundandvision expert dark room settings ?
1189 is a great price. I am assuming thats a price match ?
Gdog2015 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Member
 
tony9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St Charles MO
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
YES I am now using the suggested CINEMA settings offered by RoadLizard ...... I listed out his setting choices & the numerical values of each ..... plus I also listed the other available settings within CINEMA that were not specified (hoping anyone would verify or correct my choices). I like what I am seeing from CINEMA so far.

Thanks RoadLizard .

Previously I WAS using the Expert Dark Room settings that are shown within the Sound&Vision link. Too dark for my taste by compare.


The OLED actually belongs to my father, I helped him shop, set up & calibrate the PQ. The purchase from ielectrica/ebay was charged to his CITI card, enrolled into their Price Rewind program. Those details are in this link (#3016):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-ol...l#post50778841

Feel free to offer any suggestions.

Thanks once again
tony9 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
question on the IRE settings. When you say "all the rest to 0" ...On my TV--IRE 100 adjusted luminance can only go down to 50. Are you supposed to leave that at 130 ?
Gdog2015 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hamburg Township, Michigan
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog2015 View Post
question on the IRE settings. When you say "all the rest to 0" ...On my TV--IRE 100 adjusted luminance can only go down to 50. Are you supposed to leave that at 130 ?
You adjust the IRE by hitting IRE first. Then scroll to the left all the way to 5. Then hit the cursor error down twice to Adjusting Luminance and go up to +10. Do that for all of the recommended settings up top. I think you're going into Target Luminance and you're supposed to just leave that one alone. Don't touch it at all and leave it at 130.

LG OLED 65B6P
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player
Sony PlayStation 4 Pro
Nintendo Switch
Sony PlayStation 3
Superman23 is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 02-19-2017, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony9 View Post
YES I am now using the suggested CINEMA settings offered by RoadLizard ...... I listed out his setting choices & the numerical values of each ..... plus I also listed the other available settings within CINEMA that were not specified (hoping anyone would verify or correct my choices). I like what I am seeing from CINEMA so far.

Thanks RoadLizard .

Previously I WAS using the Expert Dark Room settings that are shown within the Sound&Vision link. Too dark for my taste by compare.


The OLED actually belongs to my father, I helped him shop, set up & calibrate the PQ. The purchase from ielectrica/ebay was charged to his CITI card, enrolled into their Price Rewind program. Those details are in this link (#3016):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-ol...l#post50778841

Feel free to offer any suggestions.

Thanks once again
Glad they are working for you. I really like these Cinema settings. Nice balance between a little more punch but still maintaining deep blacks. Of course, a little tweaking is always recommended to get things dialed just the way each user likes them.

One thing to try with these settings: I think I've recently switched color Temp to warm1 and then set tint to R2. Slightly cooler looking image which was pleasing to my eye. Then, the slight bump to the red side for tint helped balance it back out. Just a thought.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is online now  
post #19 of 19 Old 02-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Senior Member
 
evoll88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I just tried your settings roadlizard for the c6 i just got and they look pretty good, thanks.
evoll88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off