LG C6 65in OLED = >1080p 60fps 3D Gaming. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3DMamper

post #1 of 6 Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi, just wanted to let others know an unexpected bonus of this amazing 3D OLED TV.

I have owned about 4 3D TVs and 3 3D projectors.

Those of you who play 3D games using a PC to your TV know about the limitations. Unless you use a nvidia 3D monitor... you on only get 3D in, [email protected] or [email protected] a useless 24fps! Extremely frustarting!

I found a solution by pure luck. If you have a 3D game that supports SBS 3D (Trine 1, 2 & 3, Tomb raider 2015 and Rise of the tomb raider for example. You can set the game resolution to 2560 or even 4k, then enable SBS 3D. This LG tv is the only TV know that can render SBS 3D at any resolution your PC has the power to output. 4k would be max of course. So if you set your game to 4k SBS 3D, you get 3D at about 2k resoultion at 60fps... if your GPU has the horse power.

Its truely amazing and the 3D looks beautiful! Thank you LG for making such an amazing TV!

Ive tried this with my sony 940C and it wont enable SBS 3d unless the resolution is 1080. In that case you get effectlively 720p 3D at 60fps which looks rubbish.

I dont know if this feature is unique to LG 2016 3D TVs.

Also for ganes that dont support SBS 3D, i use a app called tridepth. This also allows games to render SBS 3D at any chosen resolution and refresh rate.

Enjoy Let me know how you get on.

Last edited by 3DMamper; 02-20-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
Good tip, although you should use O/U instead of SBS 3D mode if you can, because these OLEDs use passive polarized 3D and hence have 50% of their vertical resolution split between each eye.

There is no point in rendering SBS if you can avoid it, it's the equivalent of 1920x1080 per eye (at 60hz, still better than 24p! for sure), but it's throwing away GPU cycles for nothing.

3840 x 1080 per eye, over-under, is the way to go if you can make that work. Let us know.

If SBS is the only choice in a game or due to the TV, then you could possibly change the horizontal POV and use GPU scaling to make it full-screen 4K. I.e. render the game at 3840 x 1080, and get the GPU to upscale 1080 to 2160. You'll have to change the aspect ratio by 1/2 X somehow.

You can't benefit from more than 1080 lines per eye regardless so you might as well not render more than that, per eye. You're better off saving 50% of that GPU code and maintain a solid 60 fps and boost the visual quality settings (AA, FX, etc).

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 02-20-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-22-2017, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Good tip, although you should use O/U instead of SBS 3D mode if you can, because these OLEDs use passive polarized 3D and hence have 50% of their vertical resolution split between each eye.

There is no point in rendering SBS if you can avoid it, it's the equivalent of 1920x1080 per eye (at 60hz, still better than 24p! for sure), but it's throwing away GPU cycles for nothing.

3840 x 1080 per eye, over-under, is the way to go if you can make that work. Let us know.

If SBS is the only choice in a game or due to the TV, then you could possibly change the horizontal POV and use GPU scaling to make it full-screen 4K. I.e. render the game at 3840 x 1080, and get the GPU to upscale 1080 to 2160. You'll have to change the aspect ratio by 1/2 X somehow.

You can't benefit from more than 1080 lines per eye regardless so you might as well not render more than that, per eye. You're better off saving 50% of that GPU code and maintain a solid 60 fps and boost the visual quality settings (AA, FX, etc).
Hi RLBURNSIDE,

Thanks foy your input. How silly of me you are indeed correct. I forgot being passive the resolution is shared horizontally.

So in 4K SBS 3D, the image is extremely good. In 4K Over Under 3D.... its crystal clear! The games look like 1080 3D Animated movies at 60fps or more if you GPU can do it. As you said, those with a powerful videocards can use AA and super sampling to get a super smooth 3D gaming experience without jaggies.

Ive been waiting for this moment for 7 years! To be able to play 3D games at 1080 @ 60fps. Thank you LG for allowing this to happen. And shame on you Nvidia for not updating your Nvision TV 3D play to allow for this . Instead trying to push the horrid Nvison 3D monitors that have terrible blacks and xtalk.

Mods can you move this post to 3D forums? Thank you.

RLBURNSIDE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
I'm glad it worked out! I'll have to try this sometime.

In general, VR is already creating a resurgence of vendor-neutral stereo rendering (screw NV locked-in backwards 3D "standards") in most major game engines so chances are, 3D TVs and projectors will still have some gaming content to play outside of VR as well.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-23-2017, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed! I own CV1 and HTC Vive and recently PSVR (I like this headset most for its lens and less screendoor). And as you said i hope VR will keep 3D alive and maybe get more fans into 3D.

What amuses me is when people say, "i hate 3D i dont get the point of it". Yet put them in VR and suddenly they say, "OMG the depth of feild/3D is fantastic!"

Personally i think 3D on tvs is "too complicated for most consumers. Yet in VR its all set up for you and auto detects etc.

I am interested to know if others have 3D TVs that allow SBS or OU 3D at higher than 1080p. Plz state the model number. I hope this post helps other gMers that have been let down by Nvidia 3D TV play.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-24-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 76
So what exactly do you have to do to enable it in Nvidia and the LG? How about games that don't have a 3D menu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page