2017 TV Shootout Evaluation event will be in NYC, July 12 and July 13, 2017 - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5272Likes

post #3541 of 3546 Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
But the surprise was the fact that not only does the Sony A1 OLED fail to perform significantly better as compared with the LG OLEDs, but in fact in reality it actually performs worse than both the LG and PANASONIC OLED TVs in more ways than one! Sorry Al!
Not in my home.. "calibrators" want to tinker with the A1E gray scale according to patterns and don't know how the CMS is tied to the picture controls and totally muck up the A1E X1E processing capability on the OLED display.. that's everyone else issue who want to keep living with 2006 calibration methods..

Every time I go to Magnolia, enter my settings, the A1E blows everything else away and someone ends up buying one...

I'm good..

Again.. people want to buy the AMG S65 of TV and judge it based on a "Driving Ms. Daisy" 20MPH with other TVs with only a 1/2 of the full capabilities.. is a con hustle I won't buy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3546 Old 08-15-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Not in my home.. "calibrators" want to tinker with the A1E gray scale according to patterns and don't know how the CMS is tied to the picture controls and totally muck up the A1E X1E processing capability on the OLED display.. that's everyone else issue who want to keep living with 2006 calibration methods..

Every time I go to Magnolia, enter my settings, the A1E blows everything else away and someone ends up buying one...

I'm good..

Again.. people want to buy the AMG S65 of TV and judge it based on a "Driving Ms. Daisy" 20MPH with other TVs with only a 1/2 of the full capabilities.. is a con hustle I won't buy...
I will stick with my modded Vette over a AMG. But hope to know how the A1 compares to my 60vt60 soon.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #3543 of 3546 Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
But the surprise was the fact that not only does the Sony A1 OLED fail to perform significantly better as compared with the LG OLEDs, but in fact in reality it actually performs worse than both the LG and PANASONIC OLED TVs in more ways than one! Sorry Al!

...In fact, I'm so impressed by the 2017 LG OLEDs that we are going to buy a bunch of the LG OLED TVs and showcase them in our shiny new demonstration centre, one of which may very well end up in my living room!
You must be joking. The processing on the 2017 LG's is mediocre at best. It was intolerable on 2016's, and now it is barely tolerable. The posterization/false contouring is off the charts bad on the LG compared to Sony. I see it all the time when watching cable/compressed streams, and it is distracting. More obvious macroblocking as well with compressed content.

The motion artifacts are much worse on the LG compared to Sony, and if you turn TruMotion off, it is blurry, resolving only 300 lines. I cannot tolerate the blur. So with sample and hold tech it is necessary to have good motion processing, and everyone knows Sony is better.

The notion that the Sony OLED fails to perform significantly better as compared with the LG OLEDs in certain categories is just plain wrong. The Sony is significantly better at processing and motion.

That is the cold hard truth, and most A1E owners (as well as Z9D owners) can easily see the tangible differences in processing and motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 3546 Old 08-16-2017, 01:44 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 3845 Post(s)
Liked: 6267
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
You must be joking. The processing on the 2017 LG's is mediocre at best. It was intolerable on 2016's, and now it is barely tolerable. The posterization/false contouring is off the charts bad on the LG compared to Sony. I see it all the time when watching cable/compressed streams, and it is distracting. More obvious macroblocking as well with compressed content.

The motion artifacts are much worse on the LG compared to Sony, and if you turn TruMotion off, it is blurry, resolving only 300 lines. I cannot tolerate the blur. So with sample and hold tech it is necessary to have good motion processing, and everyone knows Sony is better.

The notion that the Sony OLED fails to perform significantly better as compared with the LG OLEDs in certain categories is just plain wrong. The Sony is significantly better at processing and motion.

That is the cold hard truth, and most A1E owners (as well as Z9D owners) can easily see the tangible differences in processing and motion.
Go and read what I actually said...

Here's a clue... It wasn't this: "the Sony A1 OLED performs worse than both the LG and PANASONIC OLED TVs in absolutely every single way"

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 08-16-2017 at 01:47 AM.
post #3545 of 3546 Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
No way to bypass ABL.

Only ABSL can be bypassed (in the Service Menu).

I have noticed that ABL does not engage while using "hdr effect" mode but not sure what peak brightness is on full white screen. Obviously it's not 700+ nits. Looks to be around 2 or 300 nits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3546 of 3546 Old 09-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I watched the HTG YouTube discussion as per link below.

When Mark asked why LG won the Streaming criteria I could not understand the answer from Matt. Can anyone explain the answer please in basic terms.
Question asked 1:03:30 into the YouTube video.

For streaming should the evaluation not be based on what you can see on the tv, without comparing to the sony mastering monitor, because the mastering monitor is not built for Streaming content?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page