2017 TV Shootout Evaluation event will be in NYC, July 12 and July 13, 2017 - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5272Likes

post #1291 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Man, this is getting better and better.

Basically, the LG won the game on the field but the contention is the game was either rigged (whether intentionally or ignorantly) or that the Sony did better during warm-ups. Gotcha.

Sometimes this hobby perplexes me when some people try to use it as a status symbol and therefore fight to the end to justify that their piece of electronic is the best.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
We have a way to go to match the "high end" audio forums.
ataneruo likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
The color differences were minor but consistent. The blue push was noticeable on all content but was most noticeable with white or gray. Credits were too hot, clouds, etc. glad DeWayne can get that fixed.
I think that's what we said. At the shootout, D-Nice and some of us proved that you can make the LG and the A1 look identical depending on how you calibrate it.
Spizz and ataneruo like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #1293 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2080 Post(s)
Liked: 1692
Quote:
We have a way to go to match the "high end" audio forums.
Very true

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
I don't think out of the box comparisons would stop all this debate. People would just say that one or other was a better or worse example of the TV than the opponent. In other words they would point to the varience seen within TVs of the exact same model type.
Agree - That would be like buying three race cars, drive them out of the showroom, improve nothing and then race them and the winner is best? Makes no sense but do agree that most folks don't calibrate and most credible reviews do make reference to the "Out Of The Box" performance.

This was not a review but a comparison to see which has the potential to be the best with that fine tuning!

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000

Last edited by bob brennan; 07-15-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #1295 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I think that's what we said. At the shootout, D-Nice and some of us proved that you can make the LG and the A1 look identical depending on how you calibrate it.
Which is why I will be calling DeWayne again when it is time for ordering my OLED. Will have to get a 77" to keep up with my buddy Ken.
ataneruo, losservatore and xSAMCOx like this.

Louder is NOT better!
post #1296 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 551
What we can say, without too much fear of contradiction , is that all the sets being judged do certain things differently. We can also say that no one set seems to do EVERYTHING better than the others and so it ultimately boils down to what is most important to you, the individual.
Buy an A1 and you have to accept some compromises as compared to a C7. Likewise buy a C7 and you must accept compromises as compared to the A!.
For me , personally, I found the decision fairly easy because I wanted an OLED and not only did I prefer the overall picture performance of the C7, and it's styling, but it was £1,200 less expensive than the A!.(I did think some of that was possibly due to the audio screen of the A1 which I don't need.)
Others will have different priorities and views and will go for the A1. Horses for courses , as they say.
Ken Ross, tosa68 and ataneruo like this.
post #1297 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
VR is the future of 3D, one or two more generations and the picture quality plus comfort will be there and nothing is gonna beat that visual experience when it arrives.
I'm in for a truly visual experience come August 21 and no display will come close to giving it justice. The biggest meanies that day will be clouds.
Stereodude and WiFi-Spy like this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
post #1298 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Man, this is getting better and better.

Basically, the LG won the game on the field but the contention is the game was either rigged
No one said "rigged", meaning a malicious attempt to coerce an outcome.

What isn't disputable is the E7 looked the best on stage during the shootout hours.

What is disputable is: was there enough understanding about Sony's X1E chip imaging algorithm and missing CMS to set up the A1 to its best mode during the shootout? Here, I say no. Only reason why is because I got a chance to see the A1 set up for its best mode after day 1 with pro calibrator guys that own the A1 and know it. And that was merely raising the A1 to where the E7 was delivering, and stayed consistently over the 2 days.

To be ultimately clear, and to repeat.. the E7 is the BETTER reference TV in view of the X300 (best in room) because it accurately displayed the same image contouring.. the A1 did not (it removed it).. as a "reference" shootout, this is a fact that can't be ignored from the biggest Sony fanatic. Just taking this 1 point alone, the result is valid.

Motion and Dynamic HDR Remastering are "additive" processes aside from the subject of "reference" PQ capability.
ataneruo and lsorensen like this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 07-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.
post #1299 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
...snip..

To be ultimately clear, and to repeat.. the E7 is the BETTER reference TV in view of the X300 (best in room) because it accurately displayed the same image contouring.. the A1 did not (it removed it).. as a "reference" shootout, this is a fact that can't be ignored from the biggest Sony fanatic. Just taking this 1 point alone, the result is valid.
Very interesting point.

Although the A1 didn't show the contouring, do we really want to say that its not as good as the E7 because the reference set, X300, also showed the contouring???????

The presumption is that if its in the content, it should appear on the screen....but shouldn't we be saying it looks better without the contouring then that display is superior?????
audiofan1 and King Richard like this.
post #1300 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Very interesting point.

Although the A1 didn't show the contouring, do we really want to say that its not as good as the E7 because the reference set, X300, also showed the contouring???????

The presumption is that if its in the content, it should appear on the screen....but shouldn't we be saying it looks better without the contouring then that display is superior?????
If we are talking "reference" then we should be seeing exactlty what is being fed and not some processed image. It's a bit like reference headphones. Some people prefer headphones that add bass but they cannot be called reference.
You may prefer the processed image but you can't call it reference.
post #1301 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Very interesting point.

My opinion:

When the word "reference" is the determinator, the TV should show 1:1 everything the source transmit.. the E7 was the only TV doing that closest to the X300.. this is a very big deal because as expressed before, the X300 is $1K per inch of screen size.

The A1, until it can turn off their always-on default Smooth Gradation algorithm, the qualities of the TV from PQ, color, HDR looking like Dolby Vision... doesn't compensate.. In my unbiased view, the A1 can not be called a pro level "reference" device until it can accurately transmit source flaws such as contouring.

The reason is if a pro content creator needs an emergency panel to do mission critical work on, and don't have a way to get to a X300 and must use a unit from Best Buy and calibrate it to meet a midnight deadline.. the 2017 LG OLED is the only TV that's going to aid that pro in such an emergency.

The A1 additives will not help that pro.. but.. is the ultimate consumer TV though.. all the way..
Spizz, Ken Ross, aypues and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 07-15-2017 at 10:39 AM.
post #1302 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Yep,
There should be no difference but I wish you would have mentioned this to me because I would have had them check to make sure that the correct PM was set for the streaming because if it wasn't, that could have made you see what you saw.
I noted about the settings in my post the first day of the shoootout. Some of the setting were different in the app section and the regular section. It was noticed that the streaming did not take the setting and it was in standard mode and one of the calibrators said that he remember putting it in the apps section of the TV but it did not stay. I ask you guys to check the next day to make sure the setting did not revert to standard instead of cinema pro which had the color settings etc.

My post: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
Imagic/D-Nice

When they are doing some test streaming/YouTube yesterday (early lunch period). The Sony had separate Video modes for the Apps (Youtube) and Netflix, but one reverted to Standard instead of the Cinema Pro. One member noticed it and it was fixed. However, if you get a chance remind them to double check the setting on the YouTube and then on the Netflix before they use the two apps on both Sony TV's.

I had a blast yesterday going to my first Shootout. Wish I could have stayed later. I wanted to ask some questions on which modes were better for calibrations and tone mapping ( home or pro) etc.
pakten and King Richard like this.

Last edited by dominica; 07-15-2017 at 10:30 AM.
post #1303 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My opinion:

The A1 additives will not help that pro.. but.. is the ultimate consumer TV though.. all the way..
To each their own opinion.

post #1304 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
I noted about the settings in my post the first day of the shoootout. Some of the setting were different in the app section and the regular section. It was noticed that the streaming did not take the setting and it was in standard mode and one of the calibrators said that he remember putting it in the apps section of the TV but it did not stay. I ask you guys to check the next day to make sure the setting did not revert to standard instead of cinema pro which had the color settings etc.

My post: 674
I remember seeing this.
post #1305 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
Sony just need to give the option to disable all the extra processing ,that's all.

It may even help the sluggish navigation.
ataneruo likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-15-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #1306 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
If we are talking "reference" then we should be seeing exactlty what is being fed and not some processed image. It's a bit like reference headphones. Some people prefer headphones that add bass but they cannot be called reference.
You may prefer the processed image but you can't call it reference.
I understand what you and AL are saying.

I just find it an interesting topic to question it and not just take it for granted.

We are taking for granted that both the X300 and E7 are doing it right when what we might be asking is are they reducing bit depth and that's why it shows up the way it does and its the Sony that doing it right. Matter of perspective and I suppose technical knowledge as to how the content appeared when being mastered.
post #1307 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7256 Post(s)
Liked: 8016
Quote:
Which is why I will be calling DeWayne again when it is time for ordering my OLED. Will have to get a 77" to keep up with my buddy Ken.
But I don't think I'll get an 'S', so you'll always have me there.
post #1308 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7256 Post(s)
Liked: 8016
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I'm in for a truly visual experience come August 21 and no display will come close to giving it justice. The biggest meanies that day will be clouds.
Total solar eclipse. Too bad we're not in the path of totality here in NY.
post #1309 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I just find it an interesting topic to question it and not just take it for granted.

We are taking for granted that both the X300 and E7 are doing it right when what we might be asking is are they reducing bit depth and that's why it shows up the way it does and its the Sony that doing it right. Matter of perspective and I suppose technical knowledge as to how the content appeared when being mastered.
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that , in this case , the reference image is better than the processed image. However "better " is a very subjective concept. What the judges were doing was comparing the test TVs against what they considered to be a reference display and in their opinion the LG was closest.
For me, give me a user controllable setting to do what the Sony was doing and leave it up to me to implement or not.
In the absence of any trade offs then I would probably implement it. My worry , with picture processing, is that it often does have downsides although this doesn't seem to be the case here .
ataneruo and audiofan1 like this.
post #1310 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:

All day 1, I was commenting and found comradery that the A1 and X300 looked 1:1 exact from about 15 feet seating. To me the A1 and X300 matched closest on Day 1, a few others thought the E7 matched closest.. it was really as split on Day 1 as it is on these forums..

By the end of Day 1, with the post sit-around, all 3 devices looked 1:1 the same.. then...

We noticed the contouring missing from the A1's fix.. Outside that shootout, that's a great thing.. in a client's home for a calibrator.. but inside that shootout, that little "quality" about the A1 is what spoiled it for me being a 1:1 reference judgement to the X300.. which looked confidently every bit of a "pro" OLED display even at 30".
ataneruo likes this.
post #1311 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
To each their own opinion.

Take "reference" for "pro content creators" (who were the judges) out the picture and make it all about "eye candy" imaging slated for videophiles and consumers...

There's no comparisons.. for your wife, sister, mother, and father who couldn't tell you what a "calibration" is.. are not going to respond how the "pro" people do.

Understand.. the A1 "fixed" the contouring flaws the references were showing in the PEII sun intro and sky scenes..

The "pro" view is the flaws should transmit.. the videophile/consumer view is not to ever see them.
rx74ray and King Richard like this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 07-15-2017 at 11:17 AM.
post #1312 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Take "reference" for "pro content creators" (who were the judges) out the picture and make it all about "eye candy" imaging slated for videophiles and consumers...

There's no comparisons..

Understand.. the A1 "fixed" the contouring flaws the references were showing in the PEII sun intro and sky scenes..

The "pro" view is the flaws should transmit.. the videophile/consumer view is not to ever see them.
As I said, to each their own opinion man

post #1313 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
As I said, to each their own opinion man

No condescending posts necessary, as a owner of the devices having received the feedback of many guests seeing both, its a fact in my home.

No condescending intent, but its easy to say "opinion" and get through live moving sporting events smoothly.. without noticeable judder.. consumers care about things like that.
pakten and TomcatTLC like this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 07-15-2017 at 11:23 AM.
post #1314 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No condescending posts necessary, as a owner of the devices having received the feedback of many guests seeing both, its a fact in my home.
Not being condescending. I literally mean it when I say every has their own opinion and as long as you are happy, no biggie.

post #1315 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
But I don't think I'll get an 'S', so you'll always have me there.
Yes, but you will still have more TVs! BTW, the first serious tv I bought out of law school was the Profeel. So we have that in common too. Uh oh, better get a drink!
Ken Ross likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
post #1316 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No condescending intent, but its easy to say "opinion" and get through live moving sporting events smoothly.. without noticeable judder.. consumers care about things like that.
Agreed. Hence why I'm glad my TV can do exactly that, among other things as well.

Ken Ross likes this.
post #1317 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 304
A real question for the attendees,

Can you guys elaborate on the ABL performance between the C7 and A1E? What I've noticed in store with both sets next to each other is a more consistent picture experience with the LG. The ABL kick on the Sony was pretty obvious to spot whereas the LG seemed either not do it or it was subtle enough that I wasn't able to pick up on it. Keep in mind, that's with store settings so I'm curious how that experience is with calibrated settings?

I watch a fair amount of racing (F1, MotoGP) and full screen, bright images, in the middle of the day are the name of the game for that. Would love to hear some details specific to ABL performance.
post #1318 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
A real question for the attendees,

Can you guys elaborate on the ABL performance between the C7 and A1E? What I've noticed in store with both sets next to each other is a more consistent picture experience with the LG. The ABL kick on the Sony was pretty obvious to spot whereas the LG seemed either not do it or it was subtle enough that I wasn't able to pick up on it. Keep in mind, that's with store settings so I'm curious how that experience is with calibrated settings?

I watch a fair amount of racing (F1, MotoGP) and full screen, bright images, in the middle of the day are the name of the game for that. Would love to hear some details specific to ABL performance.
Not an attendee but can say that the ABL on the LG kicks in at a higher brightness level than the Sony and so you will not see it as often. For me that is a big plus as it means a lot of bright scenes will appear brighter on the LG.
King Richard likes this.
post #1319 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 273
So @Al Leong : If you talk about quantitative measure, this review is the fastest growing of all of the OLED posts combined!
post #1320 of 3546 Old 07-15-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Never saw any "lines" when watching on my 65ZT through a Oppo 103D - but agree, came and gone just like curved screens.
Good riddance to curved screens. The Great Wall, Guardians of the Galaxy are but two recent 3D titles available/soon to be available. I will continue to snatch up notable titles with good 3D presentations as they become available (I have about 100 such titles today to pair with my G6, whereas I only had 2 or 3 with the comparatively dim ZT60).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page