In person comparison: LG 65 E6 vs Panasonic 65VT60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
370ZYZFR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
In person comparison: LG 65 E6 vs Panasonic 65VT60

As many of you know, I have been debating on selling my 65vt60 and buying and oled.

Last week I pulled the trigger and had my lg 65 E6 delivered. I left my vt60 mounted and have the oled sitting on the floor under it. I purchased a Samsung 4k BD player. And I am using a Denon 3313 BD player.

So I hooked my new 4k player straight to the oled and put in the same movie (4k on the oled and BD on the vt60). I started the movies and sync the both screens to the same second of play so I was literally watching the same scene on both panels. I spent over 12 hours watching all types of content side by side.

I watched multiple pieces of content. Here are just a few:

All of the following were both 4k and BD 1080 at the same time:

- Jack Reacher
- Independance day
- Deep water horizon
- xmen apocalypse
- Magnificent 7
- Star Trek Beyond
- The Revanant
- The Accountant

Also, I streamed the same Netflix stations on both panels. But chose 4k videos to watch and watched both simultaneously.

I also watched a handful on non 4k discs as well and went back and fourth and put them in both panels.

I also watched multiple DirecTV stations.

The goal: To see if there was a huge difference between both sets through watching 4k and 1080 content.

Here is a short summary of what I found:

4k vs 1080 same movies
Most of the movies in could definitely tell that the 4k content looked marginally sharper. However I would say approximately 1/3 of the time I couldn't tell a different. But here are my takeaways

-The white on the oled is definitely more white. Not haze to it. Cleaned white. I noticed this theme a lot.

- The skin tones on the vt60 looked better half the time. Not sure why. I messed with the oled settings for hours on end comparing and contrasting tones.

- The oled wasn't horrible for motion. I did notice some issues on Independence Day. But that mostly cleared up with user setting DB 10 and dejudder 0.

- Shadow detail on the oled was very disappointing. Yes, before anyone chimes in, I followed as close as I could to make some adjustments to bring out more detail. I would go to a dark scene and pause it and make adjustments. What I found out is that you can't make many advanced adjustments when watching HDR. Almost all my 4k discs are HDR. Lots of details lost in the shadows compared to the vt60.

- The oled appeared more grainy at times in almost all settings and brightness. Almost as if the processor was trying to work but couldn't nail it down. The picture on the vt just flowed better at times. Brighter scenes were definitely was made the oled look a tad more sharper. Outside scenes etc. inside scenes (homes, rooms etc) were about a draw.

- The Netflix app works much better on the oled. Way faster.

-The biggest image quality difference was while watching Netflix. Sizeabke difference in quality for the oled when watching 4k content to 1080 on the vt60. The 4k netflx definitely wasn't 4k BD quality but much better than the "1080" on the vt60. Internet speed is 200 mb.

-DIRECTV didn't look bad on the oled. I found the pictures to look mostly comparable. Sometimes I think the oled would edge out the vt and others it wouldn't. High quality channels really made the oled shine. I would say most of the time on DIRECTV
I couldn't tell a difference in sheet picture quality.

In summary:
I do like the oled. Motion issues definitely exist. But just depends on the content and how bad it is. The picture quality between the two was marginal. 4k blu ray did look marginally better most of the time
But not all of the time. Some of the time even watching 4k content on the oled i still would chose the vt60.

The shadow detail is my biggest issue. It shouldn't take a pro calibrator to pull out shadow detail. LG seriously missed the mark here. Overall brightness was however great on the oled. I was pleasantly surprised on how bright it was compared to the vt even after turning down brightness oled setting.

Overall picture quality was great on the oled. I was actually surprised on how close the pictures looked. They appeared almost identical at times.

I haven't not decided if I am going to return the oled or finalize the sale of the vt60. I know as more content comes out and more 4k available then it would make sense to keep the oled. I am leaning toward keeping it. But the alternative is waiting for the C7 to come down in price or buy the Sony z9d. I would love the have the z9d side by side to do a comparison.

Hope this helps some of you who are in the same position I am.
N3O, vavan, fafrd and 9 others like this.

Last edited by 370ZYZFR1; 03-07-2017 at 02:49 AM.
370ZYZFR1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 Old 03-06-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PRO-630HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,606
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Truth be told the only reason I own a 65C6P is because my 65VT60 was stolen. I loved the set and plasma's have a great sharp natural look to them. The key here is HDR and 3D which the 1st is non existent and the 3D is vastly improved over the Panasonic.
PRO-630HD is offline  
post #3 of 58 Old 03-06-2017, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
370ZYZFR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Truth be told the only reason I own a 65C6P is because my 65VT60 was stolen. I loved the set and plasma's have a great sharp natural look to them. The key here is HDR and 3D which the 1st is non existent and the 3D is vastly improved over the Panasonic.
Good point. I didn't review the 3D yet.
370ZYZFR1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 58 Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,586
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
It sounds like you're basing most (all?) of your shadow detail complaints on HDR10 content, which can't be solely pinned on LG, since that format and its competitors continue to be a work-in-progress and in flux (Dolby Vision actually has the requisite metadata to access for these TVs to largely avoid the problem you experienced). A more useful comparison would have been shadow detail on SDR next to the VT60, but thanks for the effort.
video_analysis is offline  
post #5 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
370ZYZFR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
It sounds like you're basing most (all?) of your shadow detail complaints on HDR10 content, which can't be solely pinned on LG, since that format and its competitors continue to be a work-in-progress and in flux (Dolby Vision actually has the requisite metadata to access for these TVs to largely avoid the problem you experienced). A more useful comparison would have been shadow detail on SDR next to the VT60, but thanks for the effort.

I reviewed shadow detail on about every every single piece of content I could. I spent approximately 10 hours over 3 days comparing. As you already know it's not just HDR where it's an issue.

But thanks for the reply
370ZYZFR1 is offline  
post #6 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
ll Viper ll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
I reviewed shadow detail on about every every single piece of content I could. I spent approximately 10 hours over 3 days comparing. As you already know it's not just HDR where it's an issue.

But thanks for the reply
You should wander into the thread about getting better shadow detail out of the Oleds. It worked well on my 2015 1080p model which doesn't even have the same number of gamma/IRE controls.

Also, it doesn't take a pro 'hours' to eek more shadow detail out of these sets--it's a fairly straightforward process (although you can go a lot further tinkering to get the best, most granular balance. Fortunately, this has been largely streamlined by the great work of some of the contributors here).
ll Viper ll is offline  
post #7 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 AM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 676
What is your brightness value on your OLED ?

My TV needs 55.

I fixed the rest of my shadow details by using the combination of Gamma 2.2 with dynamic contrast at low setting (based on someone's recommendation). I had a problem with black suits in Downton Abbey, but using this trick, it work really well.

Finally, I fixed my latest motion issue with Dejudder 3 Deblur 0. Now the motion is really perfect.

Finally, OLED, like wine gets better with time, give it another hundred hours and do the same test. You might be surprised. Most importantly, your brain will adapt and second the OLED will set up.

Never underestimate the brain effect. Think about it, you spend thousand hours watching your previous TV. Part of your brain are hard-wired to think the Plasma look great (combination of positive reinforcement and attention mechanism). Give yourself at least 1-2 weeks.

Last edited by Quebecker; 03-07-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Quebecker is offline  
post #8 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RoadLizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,304
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
What is your brightness value on your OLED ?

My TV needs 55.

I fixed the rest of my shadow details by using the combination of Gamma 2.2 with dynamic contrast at low setting (based on someone's recommendation). I had a problem with black suits in Downton Abbey, but using this trick, it work really well.

Finally, I fixed my latest motion issue with Dejudder 3 Deblur 0. Now the motion is really perfect.

Finally, OLED, like wine gets better with time, give it another hundred hours and do the same test. You might be surprised. Most importantly, your brain will adapt and second the OLED will set up.

Never underestimate the brain effect. Think about it, you spend thousand hours watching your previous TV. Part of your brain are hard-wired to think the Plasma look great (combination of positive reinforcement and attention mechanism). Give yourself at least 1-2 weeks.
Good stuff here, Q. I was able to get solid detail out of dark scenes using the "two-stp ramp" for IRE adjustments and gamma BT1886. Brightness 51. OLED Light at 60 for dark room. Just works for me.

Intersting on the Deblur/DeJudder - thats another area of contention that poeple need to at least try some different settings and see what they can do. It doesnt hurt and its obvious that tweaking these sets can make a big difference.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
RoadLizard is offline  
post #9 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Nothing like a direct side by side comparison to shed some reality on things.
Thanks for posting.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
DavidK442 is offline  
post #10 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canton MI
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
WOW! Great compare! In my mind, the key point here is that the author gave the OLED every single advantage with high bitrate/quality input (4K Stream & Ultra HD 4K disc) and watched it in HDR.

Given the significantly higher data rate source AND higher resolution display with wider color gamut (HDR), he still can't see a major difference (marginal=minor), then I question the value of keeping the OLED if the VT60 is still running well.

I'd say keep it and wait until the next Gen OLED comes down in price. Other point worth noting is perhaps once HDR10 adds dynamic metadata, wouldn't that improve the shadow detail?

In my mind, I was expecting OLED +HDR+4K to be a dramatically better experience compared to Plasma and this doesn't appear to be the case. I have a Panasonic ST60 still going strong and now, I'm not so sure I want to turf it for an OLED quite yet.

Thanks for taking the time to review and post your findings.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
mchartra is offline  
post #11 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,586
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
YMMV. Though I didn't get a chance to compare 2016 side-by-side with my previous ZT60, I did compare it with a 55EA9800 (2013 model OLED), and with blackout viewing, the draw of the zero blacks was only overshadowed by the less than satisfactory near-black uniformity (which is now significantly improved). Is there a chance these are crushing more to conceal noise/artifacts in that stimulus range? Perhaps, but you can make satisfactory adjustments and likely not notice any ensuing detail loss without a nearby reference.

In any case, this did not surface at the shootout as a major issue last year (with the G6), so I continue to believe it's not an insurmountable obstacle to enjoyment.

Last edited by video_analysis; 03-07-2017 at 12:06 PM.
video_analysis is offline  
post #12 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Thanks for this comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
- The oled wasn't horrible for motion. I did notice some issues on Independence Day. But that mostly cleared up with user setting DB 10 and dejudder 0.
The biggest issue with motion, IMO, is with video games that are 60 Hz without motion blur or with defeatable motion blur. This is where plasma (and CRT) still crush the competition.
Ozymandis is offline  
post #13 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,313
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Some of us came from a Vt60 and have the exact opposite opinion. Nothing definitive here imo . I don't miss my IR magnet space heater VT60 at all. Great technology in its day but surpassed in almost every way by Oled. Watch a properly mastered hdr bluray and you will see what I mean. Vt60 looks dull and lifeless in comparison.


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
post #14 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM
 
Quebecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
Thanks for this comparison.



The biggest issue with motion, IMO, is with video games that are 60 Hz without motion blur or with defeatable motion blur. This is where plasma (and CRT) still crush the competition.
Really?

OK I never gamed on a plasma TV, but a lot on different LCD monitors and TVs and the OLED is the absolute best gaming TV for 60hz material.

24p over 60hz, not so great, but true 60hz, it's really great.
Jond0 likes this.
Quebecker is offline  
post #15 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Really?

OK I never gamed on a plasma TV, but a lot on different LCD monitors and TVs and the OLED is the absolute best gaming TV for 60hz material.

24p over 60hz, not so great, but true 60hz, it's really great.
Yes, plasma still wins on motion (from a gamer's perspective)-

LCD still struggles with actual pixel response, and black frame insertion can only help so much.

OLED doesn't struggle with pixel response time but does still rely on sample and hold, and plasma is visibly superior on 60Hz material. You would think that LG would jump at the chance to add BFI to their TVs as an option to address this. Yes, it has a big hit to brightness, but as an option for gamers in dark rooms this would be fantastic.
Ozymandis is offline  
post #16 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Really appreciate your breakdown between the two sets. I sold my 50" F8500 for $800 and wanted to get a larger set that still had 3D along with having 4K/HDR support for my gaming habits.

I'd say keep the VT60 and actually wait for the C8 or Sony next year when things truly stabilize especially regarding the HDR/HDMI 2.1. Then you could retire the VT60 to the bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Truth be told the only reason I own a 65C6P is because my 65VT60 was stolen. I loved the set and plasma's have a great sharp natural look to them. The key here is HDR and 3D which the 1st is non existent and the 3D is vastly improved over the Panasonic.
That is terrible and awesome at the same time. Seriously, it's pretty damn hard to steal a Plasma TV but damn they knew that's the one to get lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Really?

OK I never gamed on a plasma TV, but a lot on different LCD monitors and TVs and the OLED is the absolute best gaming TV for 60hz material.

24p over 60hz, not so great, but true 60hz, it's really great.
I had the last Samsung F8500 and it's motion quality with 60FPS games is the closest thing to CRT-like smoothness. Input lag negligible for the most part and just amazing all around. Of course you could only sit so close to the set before pixels started appearing vs the Oled which does trump response/pixel count.
ziocomposite is offline  
post #17 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,633
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
If anyone wants to trade me an OLED for my VT60 I'm listening
ziocomposite likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #18 of 58 Old 03-07-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
I had the 65 vt50 a couple of years ago now have the e6. Vt50 is a very nice set for sure, my parents have that tv still and it's going strong. The brightness of the oled is very noticeable not to mention perfect black. I used to have some problems with shadow detail but after getting my setting lock in I'm very happy with it.
Adamd is offline  
post #19 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
370ZYZFR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I did the same thing last night. Watch some content side by side.

I have officially decided to sell my Vt60. Will be picked up today.

Do I think OLED technology is there yet? No. I think it will be 2017 or 2018 for the differences to be addressed that matter to me. However, I will never get anywhere close to 2,000 for the vt again.

I have a 55vt50 in the bedroom. I move the oled up there if they are greatly improve etc later.


I do really like the oled. Just wish for the money that it didn't faulter in a few important areas.
370ZYZFR1 is offline  
post #20 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 299
As an owner of two VT60s, I'm glad to hear that they compare favorably to the latest, greatest tech. If it weren't for that pesky IR...
B T C is offline  
post #21 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
I did the same thing last night. Watch some content side by side.

I have officially decided to sell my Vt60. Will be picked up today.

Do I think OLED technology is there yet? No. I think it will be 2017 or 2018 for the differences to be addressed that matter to me. However, I will never get anywhere close to 2,000 for the vt again.

I have a 55vt50 in the bedroom. I move the oled up there if they are greatly improve etc later.


I do really like the oled. Just wish for the money that it didn't faulter in a few important areas.
Good choice, I'm sure you will get your settings more locked in over time as well to where your happy. I used to have problems with shadow detail with hdr10 content with my samsung and now it looks amazing I don't see any loss of detail. I've read that the 2017 sets have improved with shadow detail as well. I have got a new flag ship tv every year the last 10 years. Since the e6 I can finally say I can keep with thing for at least 5 years or till it bites the dust.
Adamd is offline  
post #22 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Irwinroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 63
370ZYZFR1

What are your thoughts on processing of SD Direct TV channels side by side?
Irwinroad is offline  
post #23 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,313
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
I did the same thing last night. Watch some content side by side.

I have officially decided to sell my Vt60. Will be picked up today.

Do I think OLED technology is there yet? No. I think it will be 2017 or 2018 for the differences to be addressed that matter to me. However, I will never get anywhere close to 2,000 for the vt again.

I have a 55vt50 in the bedroom. I move the oled up there if they are greatly improve etc later.


I do really like the oled. Just wish for the money that it didn't faulter in a few important areas.
Shadow detail is great after a calibration well worth the investment imo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
post #24 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SnellTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,005
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Interesting to read just how close a 2013 plasma is to a 2016 OLED... Shame on LG & Co...


Now this makes me wish Panasonic would have released a 2014 PDP VT70


Would be like a VT60 except:

* slightly better blacks
* slightly higher contrast
* slightly better brightness
* even more accurate colours
* 4K resolution?
* an improved anti-reflective filter from the ZT60?

Maybe would have made me swap out my 9G Kuro haha
SnellTHX is offline  
post #25 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Interesting to read just how close a 2013 plasma is to a 2016 OLED... Shame on LG & Co...
Well you could also say good job on LG & Co for getting close to such a mature technology lol

All in all, happy for everyone finding the right display for them
ziocomposite is offline  
post #26 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 913
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Interesting to read just how close a 2013 plasma is to a 2016 OLED... Shame on LG & Co...


Now this makes me wish Panasonic would have released a 2014 PDP VT70


Would be like a VT60 except:

* slightly better blacks
* slightly higher contrast
* slightly better brightness
* even more accurate colours
* 4K resolution?
* an improved anti-reflective filter from the ZT60?

Maybe would have made me swap out my 9G Kuro haha
It would have also been nice if they stuck around another year and addressed the issue with IR. The VT60 & ZT60 are terrible when it comes to IR.
B T C is offline  
post #27 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
jamawass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370ZYZFR1 View Post
As many of you know, I have been debating on selling my 65vt60 and buying and oled.

Last week I pulled the trigger and had my lg 65 E6 delivered. I left my vt60 mounted and have the oled sitting on the floor under it. I purchased a Samsung 4k BD player. And I am using a Denon 3313 BD player.

So I hooked my new 4k player straight to the oled and put in the same movie (4k on the oled and BD on the vt60). I started the movies and sync the both screens to the same second of play so I was literally watching the same scene on both panels. I spent over 12 hours watching all types of content side by side.

I watched multiple pieces of content. Here are just a few:

All of the following were both 4k and BD 1080 at the same time:

- Jack Reacher
- Independance day
- Deep water horizon
- xmen apocalypse
- Magnificent 7
- Star Trek Beyond
- The Revanant
- The Accountant

Also, I streamed the same Netflix stations on both panels. But chose 4k videos to watch and watched both simultaneously.

.
Did you watch Dolby Vision content from Netflix on your OLED? It's incomparable to anything a 1080 plasma is capable of producing. Even Amazon's HDR can't compete.
jamawass is offline  
post #28 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
370ZYZFR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post
Did you watch Dolby Vision content from Netflix on your OLED? It's incomparable to anything a 1080 plasma is capable of producing. Even Amazon's HDR can't compete.

Yes! I don't know much about the DV and HDR But the Dolby Vision looked amazing! Really looked great! Shadow detail was a bit better etc
370ZYZFR1 is offline  
post #29 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
alettiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I came from a D-Nice calibrated 65VT60, which I eventually sold and used the funds to offset the cost of an LG B6. Honestly, once I got past the honeymoon phase of being blown away by seeing “zero-black,” a lot of the weaknesses of the OLED became very apparent.

There are many things I felt the OLED did better. Obviously, black-levels being the most apparent. Whites were brighter and more vibrant, in comparison to the typically “dull” whites that are found on plasmas. There was absolutely no detection of DSE during bright panning shots, unlike my VT60, which exhibited DSE to a very mild degree. Also, the resistance to IR in comparison to the VT60 was very refreshing. As many have stated, the last generation of VT/ZT plasmas were an absolute nightmare with IR. Logos, bars, HUDs, and even subtitles, would often stick around for ridiculously long periods of time - even when properly setup and taking proper precautions. It really put restrictions on what I was comfortable using my VT60 for, confining its use to mostly movies and not much else. And Panasonic would provide zero support if something happened. It's one area where I feel they really screwed their customers to the point where I don't think I'd ever fully trust them again.

Despite having superior blacks, the shadow detail on the VT60 in comparison to the OLED was pretty obvious, even without doing a side-by-side comparison. The black crush on the OLED, which is an area that many people acknowledged, but didn’t seem too bothered by, really irked me. After spending hours fiddling with the gamma and grayscale with my meter, I could never eliminate it entirely. As many reviewers stated, you have two options. Either bump up the brightness and “spoil” perfect black, or just accept a bit of crush and learn to “adjust” to it. Fortunately, it sounds like early reports indicate that this issue is eliminated on the new 2017s, but I’m waiting for in-depth reviews before buying into these claims entirely.

LG had some really shoddy CMS controls to the point where messing with them would really screw up the picture. This was not an issue with my VT60 at all. Motion handling was better on the VT60 as well - even though I never found LG’s motion to be as offensive as some people claim. Perhaps I’m just not as sensitive to it. What I do feel the VT60 did significantly better than the OLED, however, was handling of less-than-perfect sources, including compressed HD cable, DVDs, and older BDs that might not have the best transfers. Sure, you can write these weaknesses off as irrelevant, but as a hardcore film buff, not everything I watch is “reference” content and I still considering upscaling to be an extremely important factor in determining a TV’s overall performance. This is one of the reasons why I’m paying very close attention to how these new 2017s perform in comparison to last year.

I guess both sets have their pros and cons. And if it wasn’t for the sensitivity to IR, I probably would have kept my VT another year and waited for 2017 LG or Sony OLEDs. Many people upgraded from a VT60 and were quite pleased with their 2016 OLEDs. And I guess it really depends on what you place emphasis on when it comes to picture quality.

For me, shadow detail, upscaling, and low-level uniformity were all very crucial factors and I just didn’t feel that the 2016s delivered in this regard. But from what I’m reading, it sounds like LG is on the right track.

Until then, my money is waiting.
alettiere is offline  
post #30 of 58 Old 03-08-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,313
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I came from a D-Nice calibrated 65VT60, which I eventually sold and used the funds to offset the cost of an LG B6. Honestly, once I got past the honeymoon phase of being blown away by seeing “zero-black,” a lot of the weaknesses of the OLED became very apparent.

There are many things I felt the OLED did better. Obviously, black-levels being the most apparent. Whites were brighter and more vibrant, in comparison to the typically “dull” whites that are found on plasmas. There was absolutely no detection of DSE during bright panning shots, unlike my VT60, which exhibited DSE to a very mild degree. Also, the resistance to IR in comparison to the VT60 was very refreshing. As many have stated, the last generation of VT/ZT plasmas were an absolute nightmare with IR. Logos, bars, HUDs, and even subtitles, would often stick around for ridiculously long periods of time - even when properly setup and taking proper precautions. It really put restrictions on what I was comfortable using my VT60 for, confining its use to mostly movies and not much else. And Panasonic would provide zero support if something happened. It's one area where I feel they really screwed their customers to the point where I don't think I'd ever fully trust them again.

Despite having superior blacks, the shadow detail on the VT60 in comparison to the OLED was pretty obvious, even without doing a side-by-side comparison. The black crush on the OLED, which is an area that many people acknowledged, but didn’t seem too bothered by, really irked me. After spending hours fiddling with the gamma and grayscale with my meter, I could never eliminate it entirely. As many reviewers stated, you have two options. Either bump up the brightness and “spoil” perfect black, or just accept a bit of crush and learn to “adjust” to it. Fortunately, it sounds like early reports indicate that this issue is eliminated on the new 2017s, but I’m waiting for in-depth reviews before buying into these claims entirely.

LG had some really shoddy CMS controls to the point where messing with them would really screw up the picture. This was not an issue with my VT60 at all. Motion handling was better on the VT60 as well - even though I never found LG’s motion to be as offensive as some people claim. Perhaps I’m just not as sensitive to it. What I do feel the VT60 did significantly better than the OLED, however, was handling of less-than-perfect sources, including compressed HD cable, DVDs, and older BDs that might not have the best transfers. Sure, you can write these weaknesses off as irrelevant, but as a hardcore film buff, not everything I watch is “reference” content and I still considering upscaling to be an extremely important factor in determining a TV’s overall performance. This is one of the reasons why I’m paying very close attention to how these new 2017s perform in comparison to last year.

I guess both sets have their pros and cons. And if it wasn’t for the sensitivity to IR, I probably would have kept my VT another year and waited for 2017 LG or Sony OLEDs. Many people upgraded from a VT60 and were quite pleased with their 2016 OLEDs. And I guess it really depends on what you place emphasis on when it comes to picture quality.

For me, shadow detail, upscaling, and low-level uniformity were all very crucial factors and I just didn’t feel that the 2016s delivered in this regard. But from what I’m reading, it sounds like LG is on the right track.

Until then, my money is waiting.
I have no black crush and excellent shadow detail on my C6 so you can have both just gotta hire a good calibrator.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Quebecker and skip61 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off