Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14422Likes

post #3361 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
Is Dr. HDMI only for 1080p inputs or it doesn't matter the input as the device is really about HDMI Handshake issues?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I could be wrong as I've never used a Dr HDMI, but from my quick search, specs seem to only go up to only HDMI 1.4a. I would instead try to first ensure my cables are up-to-spec and working as they should. This thread here on AVSForum is a good recent testing resource on long-run options, and more questions on HDMI are likely best suited to the HDMI forum.

From my 2-week A1E 4K HDR experience, after using nothing but Monoprice certified premium high-speed cables between components and a 25' BJC Beldon Series-1 from my AVR to the A1E, all of my setup/connectivity issues were 100% related to handshake problems... My Roku problem (it could see 4K to my A1E, but not complete HDCP 2.2) was resolved by removing a slight twist on it's certified premium cable that I suspect worked it's way between my twist-tie bundles trying to keep things neat behind all my AVR gear, and my PS4 issue was simply resolved by powering-down and back-on all components for whatever reason -- and it has worked fine since driving beyond 1080p. All has been well otherwise, and all my devices that are 4K HDR capable are performing flawlessly with my A1E.
Al Leong likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
I can see a processing improvement in the Standard HDR performance.. as well as the improvement you mentioned for Custom mode HDR.

Trust me.. I watched 1/2 of that Fifty Shades Darker.. a movie I'd NEVER want to sit through.. after the update, it was an improved experience in HDR.. really a more definitive PQ...

I actually ended up enjoying the movie by the end, because the HDR is outstanding on its cinematography. I had watched Fifty Shades of Gray and 1/2 of the sequel before doing the manual update.

Watching the second 1/2 of the sequel was a very noticeable improvement to the nuanced tones and HDR highlight intensity.. remember, I'm watching with ACE and XDR both on HIGH.. to get the X1e HDR dynamic processing.. after the update I feel it improved..

Just a note: I watch TV with my prescription specs for 20/20 vision at all times.. I never watch without them. If a picture is better or worse or the same, I'm going to see it instantly.

Give me a 100 page contract and change a "it" to an "and" and I'm going to catch it.

I am OCD when it comes to details
OK that's fair. I didn't check HDR Standard but I wouldn't be surprised if they "fixed" or "tweaked" all of the HDR picture modes. I know whatever they did, it didn't effect the calibration because I went in and checked and "usually" these updates don't.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #3363 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Lightbulb

Moderator with idea

we would allow a new Owners Only thread for A1E: each poster should add his model in his sig

non owners should not post in it (report the post and let the mods handle)

Only one new owners thread will be allowed

please PM me if you are interested in starting one
thezaks, Al Leong, jrref and 1 others like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3364 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Sebring5 will start owners only thread: link soon
thezaks and Al Leong like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

post #3365 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaTVrules View Post
Recently got the 55 B6 for 2 grand but I just saw the A1E at best buy and now I wish I had the money for this set lol. Absolutely gorgeous looking display. It immediately reminded me of the Pioneer Kuro in the way it displayed images. Motion looked sharp and smooth, and everything looked "real", like you could reach in and touch the objects. I suppose it could have been the demo material though. Even the styling has that Pioneer solid, no nonsense look. Either way, super jealous of you guys
Yes, as an owner I have been very struck by the strong three-dimensional quality of the images on the set for a wide variety of material. There is an incredible sense of depth and realism to images.
shyguy3763 likes this.

Theater: Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD, Oppo-205, Anthem AVM60, 7.1.4 B & W CM 7 LR,CDM-cse, CM 1, CM 1 S2, Silverline minuet , SVS SB13 Ultra, Rotel RMB 1555, Parasound A23, Naim NAP 100, EEcolor lut box. Calman, MobileForge, I1D3 & I1pro 2.
Stereo: Aurender N100H, Auralic Vega DAC, Focal Chorus 836 W, BAT VK-3ix, Pass XA 30.5, PPP.

Last edited by eganz1; 05-11-2017 at 06:05 AM.
post #3366 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
Is Dr. HDMI only for 1080p inputs or it doesn't matter the input as the device is really about HDMI Handshake issues?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It only does 1080 but handshake works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BFJ 96 likes this.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
post #3367 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
OK that's fair. I didn't check HDR Standard but I wouldn't be surprised if they "fixed" or "tweaked" all of the HDR picture modes. I know whatever they did, it didn't effect the calibration because I went in and checked and "usually" these updates don't.

Hi Have you had a chance to look at standard mode yet. I would love to know the nits at that setting. Thanks so much in advance

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #3368 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Moderator with idea

we would allow a new Owners Only thread for A1E: each poster should add his model in his sig

non owners should not post in it (report the post and let the mods handle)

Only one new owners thread will be allowed

please PM me if you are interested in starting one
Will it be a private thread? Will that mean that the owners will stop visiting this thread and only interact amongst themselves, thereby blocking any potential buyers from asking legitimate questions? Will this thread still exist? Can't anyone add a model name to their signature?

Sorry, I just don't understand what that accomplishes. There are brand-bashers on every thread here; shouldn't this thread be moderated and controlled the same way? Why does this model need a second owner's thread? There is already a clutter of repetitive thread topics throughout AVS and especially in the OLED Tech section. Again, help me understand why this thread can't be moderated as is.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #3369 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

^^^

because here non owners are allowed to ask questions/comment: the new thread will be strictly for owners only

owners can continue to post in this thread: totally up to them

LG C9 OLED owner

post #3370 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
Hi Have you had a chance to look at standard mode yet. I would love to know the nits at that setting. Thanks so much in advance
I measured 730 nits in Standard with 100% white 10% window, effectively the same as in Cinema Pro.

Chris Heinonen
Staff Writer, The Wirecutter, a NY Times Company
Founder/Editor, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
Previously: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, AnandTech.com, HDGuru.com and Electronic House
post #3371 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Have they improved the HDR Cinema Pro mode too?
post #3372 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I think this starts getting confusing having so many threads. Non owners should be able to ask questions to owners. We already have a settings thread for the A1. Why create another thread?

Quote:
^^^

because here non owners are allowed to ask questions/comment: the new thread will be strictly for owners only

owners can continue to post in this thread: totally up to them
ataneruo likes this.
post #3373 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I'm also cool with non-owners posting in this thread, as long as it remains respectful and on-topic or in relation to the A1E. I know there may have been problems in the past, especially when the rtings review came out, but overall, I personally enjoy reading their perspectives. We all can learn from each other.

Just don't go overboard e.g. don't come here and post inflammatory things like "I'm so happy I chose a C7 over the A1E" or come into this thread to pick apart the TV every time a new review comes out and lists a couple cons.

I guess what it is, is that I personally don't like having too many threads to keep track of. But if this second "Owners Only" thread is what some of you want, then I feel Al should start this Owners thread, he was really the first owner and has been an outstanding poster and source of information in this thread... but that's just my humble opinion.
werewolfy and Al Leong like this.

The tech (r)evolution continues...

2017 - 65" A1E OLED | 2007 - 40" XBR3 LCD | 2002 - 20" FD Trinitron WEGA CRT
post #3374 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
So it looks like after viewing several A1s and C7's in person that the A1s seem to have better highlights in SDR and HDR modes although the C7s have a verified higher peak luminance levels. After talking to "sources", and thinking about it from an engineering perspective, it's possible that Sony is "managing" the total available luminance via their picture processing algorithms to generate better highlights. In layman's terms, from a high level, you can think about it this way. The set has a budget on how much luminance it can display for a specific frame for example. This is dependent on the set's power supply, the panel and other factors. Instead of making the whole frame as bright as it can be, it appears that Sony is using their picture processing algorithms to utilize the available luminance to make only the part of the picture "that needs it" brighter.

I haven't been able to 100% verify this hypothesis but it's a plausible deduction based on what the viewer see's when looking at these sets side by side in person. Not that one set is better than the other, they both have subtle differences.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #3375 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led-zep View Post
Hi guys,

For those that have wall mounted the TV - is it possible to confirm the exact measurements from the back of the wall to the front of the TV?

I have a recess and just want to make sure that this will fit well and not stick out too much...i have heard 3 different measurements from those that have it mounted
4" depth to front of panel is what I measure on my wall mounted 65A1E
post #3376 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sebring5 will start owners only thread: link soon
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post52900681
Al Leong likes this.

LG C9 OLED owner

post #3377 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post
I think this starts getting confusing having so many threads. Non owners should be able to ask questions to owners. We already have a settings thread for the A1. Why create another thread?
I agree. As someone that is considering the A1E, the ability to have access to existing owners is critical in making a decision.

Dan
ataneruo likes this.
post #3378 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 788
I think jrref explains this perfectly. Think about it. The X1 extreme chipset is the same one the Z9 uses to manage its 600 different zones brightness . So I think all Sony did was probably use this chipset to make highlights really pop. They have done an excellent job!!!!!

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #3379 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Can you PM me on how to add my current equipment to my thread posts.

Thanks
post #3380 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Before asking this question, let me preface that this Sony is probably the best OLED available on the market, from what I've been seeing.

whether thats by a slight bit or a lot, I dunno. I haven't seen one in person, retail or otherwise yet. So I'd just be going off anecdotes on avs

..But how are people getting along going from webOS to android driven tv, who had LG OLED's before this A1E?

Genuinely curious, thanks

LG 65EG9600-UB 602
LG 55C6P 702
post #3381 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post
Can you PM me on how to add my current equipment to my thread posts.

Thanks
others may want this info too:

at top of page: Tools/quick links/user control panel/edit sig/add your model/preview/save

LG C9 OLED owner

post #3382 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
others may want this info too:

at top of page: Tools/quick links/user control panel/edit sig/add your model/preview/save

Thanks Mark
markrubin likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E | Sony XBR75X940D | Fujitsu AVIAMO P65FT00AUB
post #3383 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6391 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
post #3384 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Coming into an owners thread, browbeating people who made a decision.. the best possible decision in TV...

Is not how AVS is supposed to work.

I have no sorrow or pity for anyone who post outside the threads I own in.

Frankly, I just don't care and its not owner's jobs to quash insecurities with people who have yet to find themselves for TV...

It's been said many times, and even on a remedial 1rst grader level...

There's an A1E anticipation thread, or, how about, the ability to start a A1E General Discussion thread?

As a AVS Gold member, I wish to only communicate with buyers and people seriously looking to buy in this thread.

It can't be difficult at all to comprehend.

And one last thing.. kill the "limited screen real estate" and "limited brightness" etc.. there's a point that will never resolve and sounds over zealous..

No one is pulling anyone's leg to buy anything.. but be clear.. for me as an owner..

I'm not going to go blind chasing artificially added brightness to content just so some manufacturer can sustain their dinosaur LCD business against LG's OLED monopoly.

When I wan't a lantern heat-box TV, I'll buy one of the MANY on deep discount on eBay.. because we all know TVs like the Z9D can heat up a room (the A1E does not despite those wanting to wish it so).. some of us don't like sweating while watching an HDR presentation.
Most TV's these days are not hot like our older plasma/LCD, plus I can't believe that people are fighting over TV's instead of discussing pro and cons. Sold my LG EF9500 and will get a 55 A1E or OLED55C7P for the office, but you guys are not making it easy to pick one

Temperature Measurement from RTings

A1E Temperature

The A1E is a fairly cool TV, never getting more than a little warm to the touch. The thickest part of the TV is in the center, which is also the warmest part of the TV. There is also a lot of heat along the bottom edge, which may contain some panel circuitry producing heat.

Maximum Temperature : 36 °C
Average Temperature : 30 °C

Z9D Temperature

The Z9D is surprisingly cool given its high peak brightness. Its local dimming works well to make different areas of the screen only as bright as they need to be, thus saving power and reducing temperature.

Maximum Temperature :36 °C
Average Temperature :32 °C
ataneruo and OLED4UNME like this.
post #3385 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Please can someone tell me the distance from the lowest screw hole for vesa mounting and the bottom of the 65 model?
It s coming next week and i have to understand if i can reuse the existing wall mount or buy a new one or move it .
No info on sony documentation....
post #3386 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
I downloaded and looked at these HLG HDR videos:

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=154

http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=158

The Custom picture mode is improved and these HLG demos are outstanding in quality.

I'm still making my way through content after the update...
These videos are in HEVC HLG HDR.

How about VP9-HLG YouTube HDR?
A VP9-HLG video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk7qbWCljks#t=0m0s

If the A1 supports VP9-HLG, it should also support VP9-PQ YouTube HDR.
A VP9-PQ video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U#t=0m0s

Universal audio/video receiver (Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, etc.) is achieved.
Universal HDR TV (HDR10, Dolby Vision, HEVC HLG HDR, VP9-HLG / VP9-PQ YouTube HDR, Dynamic HDR) is required.

Push for universal HDR TV!
post #3387 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post
Hitting"Display" on Sony UBP-X800 & A1e. Then difference in location of HDR from my Sony 65-850c & A1e.
Got it, thanks. I will check on it tonight.
post #3388 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
65" Wall mount measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by våge View Post
Please can someone tell me the distance from the lowest screw hole for vesa mounting and the bottom of the 65 model?
It s coming next week and i have to understand if i can reuse the existing wall mount or buy a new one or move it .
No info on sony documentation....
Think it is in the sketches
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 65A1E.pdf (620.8 KB, 139 views)
post #3389 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Consumer report. Top 2017 Oled tvs.

1place Lg W7 Oled tv
2place Lg C7 Oled tv
3place Sony A1 Oled tv.

Intresting list
post #3390 of 8123 Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Consumer report. Top 2017 Oled tvs.

1place Lg W7 Oled tv
2place Lg C7 Oled tv
3place Sony A1 Oled tv.

Intresting list
Remember that any score is calculated from a number of factors, some of which might not matter to you. The Sony costs $2 more a year to run than the LG, that might cost it a point (the points system isn't fully public). The LG also has a backlit remote, which factors into usability, which the Sony does not and could cost a point. Just like having a component input might be worth a point, but you might not use it.

Chris Heinonen
Staff Writer, The Wirecutter, a NY Times Company
Founder/Editor, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
Previously: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, AnandTech.com, HDGuru.com and Electronic House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page