Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14422Likes

post #3391 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakten View Post
Think it is in the sketches
thx very kind !
it is not on their swedish site and i didnt look on the american one my fault

Sony KD-65A1 4K OLED | Oppo 103 | Marantz AV7703 | Mcintosh M6600 | Magnepan 1.7 | (surround x2) Magnepan MC-1 | CambridgeAudio azure 650R | MSB Analog Dac | Clearaudio Performance DC

Last edited by våge; 05-11-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martelli View Post
It only does 1080 but handshake works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #3393 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
Consumer report. Top 2017 Oled tvs.

1place Lg W7 Oled tv
2place Lg C7 Oled tv
3place Sony A1 Oled tv.

Intresting list
And long ago CR tested tires; all season and summer high performance. They picked the all season as the winner. Why? Because it was better in the rain! Last issue of CR I ever looked at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3394 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I would definitely fall into the category of this thread and its owners helping with a purchasing decision. I sincerely appreciate everyone's candid thoughts on the A1e. I'm particularly interested in hearing from the owners of both the A1e and the '16 and/or '17 LG oleds. I'm coming from a 2011 Sony xbr hx 929. I gave it the old college try with last years B6 and E6, but ultimately couldn't live with them. Particularly after I heard the rumors of a Sony oled for '17. Crushed blacks and motion issues were very much there on both units. The thing that bothered me most with the '16 oleds was that unless it was being fed a pristine signal, the upscaling looked poor. It varied from channel to channel and even by program(ps 4, blu ray and even netflix looked good). My 929 is a much better performer in regards to handling low bit-rate over-compressed material. The A1's light output isn't a concern as I keep the 929 backlight at 1. I'm hoping that someone in the community that has lived with both can comment as to the A1's upscale quality on sources such as DirecTv. Likewise, I'm familiar with the lag numbers, but I'd like to know if the 1080p lag proved an issue for anyone, as gaming will be a huge percentage of its use. I'm interested in real world usage, not obsessively staring at slides. I wouldn't necessarily say that money is not an issue, but The A1 would be the most important component of my home theater. Therefore I would rather spend the extra scratch if it would fit my use-case scenario more effectively and be happy for the next 4-5 years instead of living with regret. Thanks.
ataneruo likes this.
post #3395 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
elvis: Standard cable content was a big deal for me. I bought my A1E because others reported that it did upscaling better than the LG. I'm so glad I went with the Sony. Most cable channels look great, and 4K content blew me away. I do not use it for gaming.
shyguy3763 likes this.

Sony 65"A1E, Marantz 7005 Pre, Rotel 5ch X 120w, Axiom & HSU sub.
post #3396 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisnoodle View Post
I would definitely fall into the category of this thread and its owners helping with a purchasing decision. I sincerely appreciate everyone's candid thoughts on the A1e. I'm particularly interested in hearing from the owners of both the A1e and the '16 and/or '17 LG oleds. I'm coming from a 2011 Sony xbr hx 929. I gave it the old college try with last years B6 and E6, but ultimately couldn't live with them. Particularly after I heard the rumors of a Sony oled for '17. Crushed blacks and motion issues were very much there on both units. The thing that bothered me most with the '16 oleds was that unless it was being fed a pristine signal, the upscaling looked poor. It varied from channel to channel and even by program(ps 4, blu ray and even netflix looked good). My 929 is a much better performer in regards to handling low bit-rate over-compressed material. The A1's light output isn't a concern as I keep the 929 backlight at 1. I'm hoping that someone in the community that has lived with both can comment as to the A1's upscale quality on sources such as DirecTv. Likewise, I'm familiar with the lag numbers, but I'd like to know if the 1080p lag proved an issue for anyone, as gaming will be a huge percentage of its use. I'm interested in real world usage, not obsessively staring at slides. I wouldn't necessarily say that money is not an issue, but The A1 would be the most important component of my home theater. Therefore I would rather spend the extra scratch if it would fit my use-case scenario more effectively and be happy for the next 4-5 years instead of living with regret. Thanks.
Get the A1E, as you were already unsatisfied with LG's 2016 models. For gaming purposes, spend time reading poster's @Ness Roman extensive and detailed posts about why gaming is better on the A1E than the 2017 LG's as well. The A1E is in a different class where processing is concerned due to its dual database, super bit mapping, and object-based HDR remastering. As a result, you'll see no color gradient banding with Sony as you do with LG. In addition, better processing means that broadcast TV upscaling, motion, shadow details, and HDR presentation are noticeably better on the Sony. There's several owners throughout this thread who own both the LG and Sony and confirm the Sony is better in all these areas, so go back and review if need-be.

And with respect to the potential of panel banding and vignetting, there's zero vignetting with Sony and Sony owners aren't seeing any banding in content unlike some 2017 LG owners. And, of course, vignetting and banding were major issues in LG models from 2013 through 2016. Finally, you're right not to worry about slides, as they're not worth looking at unless you see something bothersome in content. And even then, seeing anything in content that distracts you (regardless of what brand you own) should lead you to exchange or return your set anyway.
post #3397 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Moderator with idea

we would allow a new Owners Only thread for A1E: each poster should add his model in his sig

non owners should not post in it (report the post and let the mods handle)

Only one new owners thread will be allowed

please PM me if you are interested in starting one
You should put the calibration thread in there as well.
post #3398 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
Get the A1E, as you were already unsatisfied with LG's 2016 models. For gaming purposes, spend time reading poster's @Ness Roman extensive and detailed posts about why gaming is better on the A1E than the 2017 LG's as well. The A1E is in a different class where processing is concerned due to its dual database, super bit mapping, and object-based HDR remastering. As a result, you'll see no color gradient banding with Sony as you do with LG. In addition, better processing means that broadcast TV upscaling, motion, shadow details, and HDR presentation are noticeably better on the Sony. There's several owners throughout this thread who own both the LG and Sony and confirm the Sony is better in all these areas, so go back and review if need-be.

And with respect to the potential of panel banding and vignetting, there's zero vignetting with Sony and Sony owners aren't seeing any banding in content unlike some 2017 LG owners. And, of course, vignetting and banding were major issues in LG models from 2013 through 2016. Finally, you're right not to worry about slides, as they're not worth looking at unless you see something bothersome in content. And even then, seeing anything in content that distracts you (regardless of what brand you own) should lead you to exchange or return your set anyway.
The lack of vignetting has me most intrigued about the Sony. My opinion is I don't care how your panel handles all the other stuff, if there are screen uniformity issues pulling you out of the content you are watching it's a major problem.
shyguy3763 and jrref like this.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #3399 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked: 5144
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
The lack of vignetting has me most intrigued about the Sony. My opinion is I don't care how your panel handles all the other stuff, if there are screen uniformity issues pulling you out of the content you are watching it's a major problem.
Just to re-enforce this, although all of the sets have some banding, including mine, I tried watching hockey and what I discovered is that if I try to focus on the spot where I know there is some banding, I can very faintly see it when the scene is moving around But if then I re-focus on the game, meaning the players, etc, there is no way that I can see the banding. That said, i'm wondering if the users that Are distracted by banding have issues with their eyes or glasses. I'm not trying to be funny but the focal point of this very faint banding that you can sometimes see if the gray scale, and the luminance is just right and you are staring at a specific spot is different than what the eye focuses on when looking at the content.
10k likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #3400 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Just to re-enforce this, although all of the sets have some banding, including mine, I tried watching hockey and what I discovered is that if I try to focus on the spot where I know there is some banding, I can very faintly see it when the scene is moving around But if then I re-focus on the game, meaning the players, etc, there is no way that I can see the banding. That said, i'm wondering if the users that Are distracted by banding have issues with their eyes or glasses. I'm not trying to be funny but the focal point of this very faint banding that you can sometimes see if the gray scale, and the luminance is just right and you are staring at a specific spot is different than what the eye focuses on when looking at the content.
Can you see the banding in the settings menus and so forth? I've never seen it in hockey, but in baseball and soccer, and in the settings menus. It drives me a little crazy, I have to admit. But so does color banding, and the A1E does that better than anything else I've seen.
post #3401 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
I've said several times the banding to me is far less an issue. I hardly ever see it even on my C7. Vignetting I see quite often.
jrref likes this.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #3402 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
So it looks like after viewing several A1s and C7's in person that the A1s seem to have better highlights in SDR and HDR modes although the C7s have a verified higher peak luminance levels. After talking to "sources", and thinking about it from an engineering perspective, it's possible that Sony is "managing" the total available luminance via their picture processing algorithms to generate better highlights. In layman's terms, from a high level, you can think about it this way. The set has a budget Ed on how much luminance it can display for a specific frame for example. This is dependent on the set's power supply, the panel and other factors. Instead of making the whole frame as bright as it can be, it appears that Sony is using their picture processing algorithms to utilize the available luminance to make only the part of the picture "that needs it" brighter.

I haven't been able to 100% verify this hypothesis but it's a plausible deduction based on what the viewer see's when looking at these sets side by side in person. Not that one set is better than the other, they both have subtle differences.
Sadly Rtings showed that in real life condition using their real life luminosity test, the C7 is still brighter in SDR and HDR.

It was a nice theory though. I'm still thinking it's just higher contrast with the benefit and problems inherent to it.

Another theory could be panel lottery. Last year OLED differed from almost 100 nits from panel to panel.

Last edited by Quebecker; 05-11-2017 at 07:24 PM.
post #3403 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
Sadly Rtings showed that in real life condition using their real life luminosity test, the C7 is still brighter in SDR and HDR.

It was a nice theory though. I'm still thinking it's just higher contrast with the benefit and problems inherent to it.
HDTV Polska real world tests seem to agree with you

https://hdtvpolska.com/lg-b7-oled55b...-ultra-hd-hdr/

https://hdtvpolska.com/sony-a1-kd-55...ki-z-4k-i-hdr/

However the differences in peak brightness are small and might be hard to notice on their own. It's probably just more aggressive dynamic contrast.

Those hdr technical review videos consistently show hdr content is low nits, and even highlights are often limited to 500-600nit range, so there is a lot of room for oled dynamic contrast to make a lot of the picture brighter.

What jrref is talking about is the result of the combination of xdr and adv contrast enhancer. The Sony marketing materials call out analysis of portions of the picture and adjustment of contrast on "objects" so his observations make sense to me.
Spizz, Bob Fosse, Dhalmo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by 10k; 05-11-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #3404 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
This is why owners have abandoned this thread.. too much tail chasing, speculations and naysaying from people who never saw the TV against a guy who is clearly telling you what it is...

I personally won't be posting in here anymore, I'd invite owners to no longer waste their time with subject matter beneath your ownership level.

If people want to observe what owners impressions are, let them look and not speak until they verify themselves as a owner.
I'm a PhD student. I believe objectify before subjectivity, this is just how my brain work.

I thought your were a retired engineer?

All my friend engineers only believe pure quantifiable numbers. They are very zealous about it.
post #3405 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Phew, what a relief to finally be able to post in this thread as a nonowner without feeling like I'm about to get bawled out for cracking some eggs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post
I know I've been disputing your posts more often than not lately (apologies), but we did have one owner who called it quits due to banding visible in content. It's a good sign that complaints have been few and far between since. I'm pretty sure exchanging this 77" for others would have resulted in the same issues I've had (the 3 samples here all look very similar). I'm simply going to have to allow for the self-healing over time to take place and hope for the best.
ataneruo likes this.
post #3406 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Phew, what a relief to finally be able to post in this thread as a nonowner without feeling like I'm about to get bawled out for cracking some eggs.

I know I've been disputing your posts more often than not lately (apologies), but we did have one owner who called it quits due to banding visible in content. It's a good sign that complaints have been few and far between since. I'm pretty sure exchanging this 77" for others would have resulted in the same issues I've had (the 3 samples here all look very similar). I'm simply going to have to allow for the self-healing over time to take place and hope for the best.

All I know is that I've been eyeing the lgs for two years, and then I saw this TV, bought it and never looked back. The hdr even at 700 nits WILL BLAST YOU. And the silky smooth motion on both UHD and HD content will blow you away. This is a phenomenal tv

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
post #3407 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's great. This G6 blasts me with more brightness than any TV that has preceded it (~650 nits or so) and allows me to watch the nearly 100 3D movies I've collected. The manufacturers really didn't make it easy to choose this year for people like me who developed an affinity towards 3D content.
Nick Martelli likes this.
post #3408 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
That's great. This G6 blasts me with more brightness than any TV that has preceded it (~650 nits or so) and allows me to watch the nearly 100 3D movies I've collected. The manufacturers really didn't make it easy to choose this year for people like me who developed an affinity towards 3D content.

That's awesome. Are you looking to buy an a1e?

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
post #3409 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked: 5144
Quote:

Another theory could be panel lottery. Last year OLED differed from almost 100 nits from panel to panel.
Right but what counts is what the "human" viewer perceives when looking at the two sets side by side which I have done in controlled conditions many times and I can tell you that the A1 has brighter highlights which makes the picture look more "dynamic" vs a higher overall picture luminance which Rtings measured. And as 10K has stated above, Sony is doing their own version of picture processing vs what LG is doing. It's interesting to compare them in a constructive way.
Spizz, 10k, ataneruo and 3 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 05-11-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #3410 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
All I know is that I've been eyeing the lgs for two years, and then I saw this TV, bought it and never looked back. The hdr even at 700 nits WILL BLAST YOU. And the silky smooth motion on both UHD and HD content will blow you away. This is a phenomenal tv

Nick, when you say the motion is silky smooth, can you please tell me your motion flow settings? Do you put it completely off and it's still smooth or are you using low, medium, etc?

I'm trying to see if Sony still have better motion even with their motion flow processing turned off or not compared to LG with trumotion to off.

Thanks.
post #3411 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Nick, when you say the motion is silky smooth, can you please tell me your motion flow settings? Do you put it completely off and it's still smooth or are you using low, medium, etc?

I'm trying to see if Sony still have better motion even with their motion flow processing turned off or not compared to LG with trumotion to off.

Thanks.

I set motion to motion flow: true cinema & cinemotion: low

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
post #3412 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I'm a PhD student. I believe objectify before subjectivity, this is just how my brain work.

I thought your were a retired engineer?

All my friend engineers only believe pure quantifiable numbers. They are very zealous about it.
The only thing that is not mentioned is that the full data set for evaluation is not readily available, i.e. the reviews being applied online throughout utilize traditional static tests not in real world content. The problem with this approach is that it does not quantify the ability to utilize processing algorithms for optimized utilization of HDR. This invariably translates to users applying qualitative descriptions to the observed phenomenon. The descriptions can be doubted, as many have on this forum, because there is not a quantitative measurement standard for what the processing is doing so as to compare to different displays.
ataneruo likes this.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD (Calibrated Cinema Pro / Cinema Home / HDR) - LG UP970 UHD Player
NVidia Shield Pro (2015) - Chromecast Ultra
PS4 Pro 1TB - 30TB NFS Share Over LAN (Win7 HaneWin)
SANUS VLF525-B1 Wall Mount
post #3413 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I set motion to motion flow: true cinema & cinemotion: low

So you mean you have:

Motion Flow at True Cinema

Smoothness slider at MIN

Clearness slider at LOW

CineMotion at LOW

Is that it?

What are the options and sliders you see in the panel. A picture would make it clear.

Thank you!
post #3414 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
So you mean you have:

Motion Flow at True Cinema

Smoothness slider at MIN

Clearness slider at LOW

CineMotion at LOW

Is that it?

What are the options and sliders you see in the panel. A picture would make it clear.

Thank you!

Yes. And 'Smoothness' is not selectable when true cinema is selected it seems to be backed into that setting.

I enjoy a cinema feel so this is very smooth for that look

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
post #3415 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's awesome. Are you looking to buy an a1e?
I was thinking about it before March, but after upgrading every year since 2013 (including overpaying for a monster this year), I've got to put a cork on it for a while (I'm a huge hobbyist with finite resources in comparison to some here ). I'm excited to watch from the sidelines while things finalize in the HDR realm.
post #3416 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Interpolation is for people who love SOE
Not with Sony. Interpolation is for people who like respectable motion resolution and dislike judder, which can look awful. No annoying or aggressive SOE on a Sony. Theirs is the best. Very mild and hardly noticeable and not bothersome. Without TruMotion and de-blur engaged on LG OLED, it looks obviously blurry and has a poor motion resolution of only around 300 lines.

If people think they can turn all motion processing off on their OLED (Sony or LG) and get great motion, they are sorely mistaken. They need to use some motion processing to combat sample and hold. Sony's is clearly more refined and better, making it more useful.

I hardly doubt that LG OLED motion is equally as good as Sony's, meriting the same score. Rtings needs to rethink the way they calculate their number ratings.

Planet Earth II, for example, looks far better with some smoothing engaged.

I watched the entire Planet Earth II series side by side on my Z9D next to my C6, with smoothing engaged on the Z9D, and no smoothing on the C6.

The judder was quite annoying on many scenes without any smoothing ("SOE" as you call it).
post #3417 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I have seen both sets and the difference in ABL can easily be seen in real content. Bright content (like soccer or daylight scenes) are brighter on a B7 than on the A1 due to the less agressive ABL. About every review also confirms this.

The better ABL of the LGs means that in cinemascope movies you will get abount 320 nits without ABL whereas the Sony will only show 180 nits without ABL.
post #3418 of 8110 Old 05-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips63 View Post
Do you even own the A1E? You keep referencing an LG to the Z9D but no mention of the A1E, me thinks you're in the wrong thread.....
Sony themselves obviously have set their own Z9D beside their A1E, and they say that the Z9D remains the flagship for HDR.

I am waiting for a proper independent side by side comparison of the A1E to the Z9D. I am not the one who brought up the Z9D in this thread. Al Leong, an A1E owner, likes to keep talking about the Z9D and LCD's in general compared to the A1E, and he claims the increased brightness advantage of LCD is to no avail, and means nothing.

Al keeps claiming repeatedly (and erroneously) that HDR is only graded to 600 nits, and since the A1E can do 650 nits peak (ignoring ABL!) therefore the A1E is perfect, and can perfectly display any and all content. This is misinformation and is simply untrue.

True, I do not have an A1E next to my Z9D, but neither has Al ever set a Z9D next to his A1E, so why does he keep talking about the Z9D in this thread since he does not own one and has not ever set one next to his OLEDs?

The best I can do for now is compare 2016 LG OLED side by side with my Z9D. All I can say is that with content that is graded to 1000+ nits, like the popular HDR demos floating around, there is a very visible and noticeable difference between the Z9D and my C6.

The Z9D has much more pop, and the LG OLED can look sort of dull and lackluster by comparison, even with LG's own demos like Chess. That is why HDTVtest called the Z9D the best HDR TV of 2016 (not OLED), and John Archer of Forbes picked the Z9D over the LG OLED as best HDTV of 2016. Recently, Archer of Forbes reviewed the A1E and claimed he still favors the Z9D for HDR. Some may wish to ignore all of this, and contradict Sony themselves, and claim their A1E is perfection, and even better at HDR, but it appears there must be something lacking, or everyone would agree hands down the A1E is the best at HDR, like Al would have us believe.

So, contrary to Al Leong's baseless claims of A1E perfection, it appears there is something left to be desired with the A1E when it comes to brightness and color volume for HDR. Side by side, I can clearly see where the 2016 LG OLED is lacking when it comes to brightness/pop/color volume.

Perhaps the Sony can appear a bit brighter than the LG OLED with HDR, although some will dispute this. From Sony and Archer, it appears that it is not quite enough to fully close the gap.

The point is, no display is perfect, and there are always tradeoffs and compromises. The Sony A1E obviously can do blacks better than the Z9D, but the much greater peak brightness and lack of aggressive ABL means the Z9D has something extra that the A1E lacks, HDR pop and sizzle.

I still think that compromises must be made in 2017. There is no perfect display that can do perfect blacks as well as spectacular HDR.

With the Z9D, you can get pretty spectacular HDR highlights, and full screen brightness, but you have to give up the perfect blacks of OLED.

With the A1E, one can enjoy perfection in blacks that cannot be had with LCD, but at the expense of visibly less impressive HDR.
dancolt and ataneruo like this.
post #3419 of 8110 Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
Sony themselves obviously have set their own Z9D beside their A1E, and they say that the Z9D remains the flagship for HDR.

I am waiting for a proper independent side by side comparison of the A1E to the Z9D. I am not the one who brought up the Z9D in this thread. Al Leong, an A1E owner, likes to keep talking about the Z9D and LCD's in general compared to the A1E, and he claims the increased brightness advantage of LCD is to no avail, and means nothing.

Al keeps claiming repeatedly (and erroneously) that HDR is only graded to 600 nits, and since the A1E can do 650 nits peak (ignoring ABL!) therefore the A1E is perfect, and can perfectly display any and all content. This is misinformation and is simply untrue.

True, I do not have an A1E next to my Z9D, but neither has Al ever set a Z9D next to his A1E, so why does he keep talking about the Z9D in this thread since he does not own one and has not ever set one next to his OLEDs?

The best I can do for now is compare 2016 LG OLED side by side with my Z9D. All I can say is that with content that is graded to 1000+ nits, like the popular HDR demos floating around, there is a very visible and noticeable difference between the Z9D and my C6.

The Z9D has much more pop, and the LG OLED can look sort of dull and lackluster by comparison, even with LG's own demos like Chess. That is why HDTVtest called the Z9D the best HDR TV of 2016 (not OLED), and John Archer of Forbes picked the Z9D over the LG OLED as best HDTV of 2016. Recently, Archer of Forbes reviewed the A1E and claimed he still favors the Z9D for HDR. Some may wish to ignore all of this, and contradict Sony themselves, and claim their A1E is perfection, and even better at HDR, but it appears there must be something lacking, or everyone would agree hands down the A1E is the best at HDR, like Al would have us believe.

So, contrary to Al Leong's baseless claims of A1E perfection, it appears there is something left to be desired with the A1E when it comes to brightness and color volume for HDR. Side by side, I can clearly see where the 2016 LG OLED is lacking when it comes to brightness/pop/color volume.

Perhaps the Sony can appear a bit brighter than the LG OLED with HDR, although some will dispute this. From Sony and Archer, it appears that it is not quite enough to fully close the gap.

The point is, no display is perfect, and there are always tradeoffs and compromises. The Sony A1E obviously can do blacks better than the Z9D, but the much greater peak brightness and lack of aggressive ABL means the Z9D has something extra that the A1E lacks, HDR pop and sizzle.

I still think that compromises must be made in 2017. There is no perfect display that can do perfect blacks as well as spectacular HDR.

With the Z9D, you can get pretty spectacular HDR highlights, and full screen brightness, but you have to give up the perfect blacks of OLED.

With the A1E, one can enjoy perfection in blacks that cannot be had with LCD, but at the expense of visibly less impressive HDR.

Jesus man what a rant. I just watched star trek beyond on the A1 and there are scenes in there that make me squint they are so bright. May maybe you should buy the tv and see for yourself. Or come on by I don't care.

In a bright room z9d may have an advantage, but if you've got this sucker set up in the right space, it is untouchable. Brights, darks, motion, you name it.
Spizz, jrref, våge and 1 others like this.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4

Last edited by Nick Martelli; 05-12-2017 at 12:05 AM.
post #3420 of 8110 Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6303 Post(s)
Liked: 6308
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
True but there is a point where you have to settle as everything made today has some degree of screen uniformity......
ataneruo and jrref like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page