Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14423Likes

post #4111 of 8123 Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I picked up the 65 inch A1 today with the x800 4k player, does anyone have the x800? If so is it a good player? I was trying to decide on this and the oppo but I got this one for 150$ so I couldn't pass it up.

My A1 won't be here till the 31st and I can't wait! Looking at al's pics I'm super pumped! Does anyone have any settings advice for a first time premium tv owner? I want to get the best out of it!
leftyguitar1963 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 8123 Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
HDR in Photography isn't the same thing as HDR in display technology. They use the same term, but they mean slightly different, yet related things (and adding "high" on the front is vague enough that it can apply to both).

So say I have a camera that's capable of 5 stops of dynamic range (number is arbitrary, roll with it). Those multiple exposures you take get you more stops of dynamic range that you have captured. Say we can now capture 10 stops of dynamic range. You merge all that together. But there's also a second step which is taking this photo and displaying it. That's where this other definition starts entering play.

When talking about an HDR TV, we are talking about the dynamic range of the display itself. So taking the example above, lets continue using the arbitrary numbers of 5 stops and 10 stops. If I have a display with 5 stops of dynamic range, and all content is graded to those 5 stops, then if I were to take this HDR content using 10 stops of dynamic range, then we have to crush fine detail to get it all to fit in the 5 stops of dynamic range available to us when we go to display it. But if I can produce a TV that can actually display 10 stops, then we can display the whole dynamic range that was captured.

So long as the dynamic range remains lower than what the eye can discern without contracting/dilating the pupil, you can eek out more contrast details from display tech by expanding the dynamic range that is both captured, and displayed. If we look at real numbers:
- Human Eye (Static): 10-14 stops
- Human Eye (Dynamic): 20 stops
- 8-bit SDR (Blu-ray): 6 stops
- 10-bit HDR @ 2000 nits: ~17 stops

The main benefit going beyond 10-bit is obviously dealing with quantization errors and retaining fine details in certain shades the eye can still pick up. Dolby wants to aim above the 20 stop limit of the human eye (12-bit @ 4000 nits), but that includes the range the eye can get to by dilation and contracting the pupil. I think this is a bit of a mistake because of the more rapid changes in desired range in a movie would mean you can hurt fine detail rather than help it as the human eye keeps trying to adjust to the different scenes.

When you talk about HDR imaging (HDRI), you are also including the assumption that it includes range compression to meet the capability of the display. You are taking those 10+ stops you captured with your DSLR, and compressing it to the 6 stops or so that your run-of-the-mill LCD displays. So it will look a bit different than on a display that can actually display the whole range of the image.

But I do agree that the range we are likely seeing in early content is faked to some extent. VFX, maybe a bit less, depending on if they can re-render it, since they have better control over the output and can properly map the tonal range.
My point was or is, you can not produce HDR with one shot such as a movie. The lens and processor only has a certain amount of dynamic range it can capture. The whole intent of HDR is based on multiple stops to capture the broad spectrum of the colors the eye actually sees that the lens does not.
In movies they film in one stop and edit with software to produce the HDR image. Other words they manipulate the image on what they really think it should be but not what it was. Then you add the processors built into the TV or Bluray player and that further enhances the image. Software has come along ways in reproducing a single image to HDR content but bottom line it's still not true HDR.

Unless you have a properly calibrated Eizo or a BenQ monitor then you'll never see the true dynamic range of what you are calling HDRI as you pointed out. HDR has been around in the photography world for a very long time. The movie industry is just now catching on to what it is and doing their best to reproduce it the best they can.

Sony 65" A1E | Samsung 55" UH8500
Marantz SR6011 AVR l Martin Logan motion 40's, motion 30, and motion 15 rears, Martin Logan AFX Atmos speakers atop the front L&R
SVS PB 16 Ultra x3 l SVS PC12 Plus
Oppo UDP-203 | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #4113 of 8123 Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips63 View Post
My point was or is, you can not produce HDR with one shot such as a movie. The lens and processor only has a certain amount of dynamic range it can capture. The whole intent of HDR is based on multiple stops to capture the broad spectrum of the colors the eye actually sees that the lens does not.

In movies they film in one stop and edit with software to produce the HDR image. Other words they manipulate the image on what they really think it should be but not what it was. Then you add the processors built into the TV or Bluray player and that further enhances the image. Software has come along ways in reproducing a single image to HDR content but bottom line it's still not true HDR.

Unless you have a properly calibrated Eizo or a BenQ monitor then you'll never see the true dynamic range of what you are calling HDRI as you pointed out. HDR has been around in the photography world for a very long time. The movie industry is just now catching on to what it is and doing their best to reproduce it the best they can.

We all know hdr tv is just a marketing term for wider color and contrast range for tv. It's just closer to what the original camera captured.
seanbryan likes this.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4114 of 8123 Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
If your sensor is good enough, you can. They aren't good enough yet for the full 17 stops that HLG/HDR10 can achieve, but some like RED's Scarlet-W get very close with 16.5 stops. And as I've pointed out already, that's still more than the range that the human eye can achieve without dilating or contracting the pupil.

And it's not color, but tonal range you are thinking of. You don't need high dynamic range to have a wide gamut. The two are orthogonal. One depends on saturation you can achieve, while the other depends on the luminance range you can achieve.

Quote:
I didn't dispute this... But the sensors available already capture a lot more than what you can put on a BD. But, that certainly does mean you need to know what was used in filming to know what the captured dynamic range is and how much of it they had to guess at themselves. And with things being VFX heavy, that adds another wrinkle. Complaining about faked HDR is a bit ironic considering how much of the shot itself is effectively faked. Or the fact that to get the appearance in the shots you shared, the dynamic range of the final shot is compressed into a meager 6 stops or so that you can expect in a properly calibrated 8-bit display.

Quote:
The problem there is that you still need that display that can reproduce the whole range, rather than using 8-bit color, and a 100-120 nit calibration standard. So you have to be a bit more specific here. "Properly calibrated" in my experience in photography means the above. It may be on a wide gamut display, but the low nit range keeps the actual dynamic range fairly small. HDRI itself is an approximation of reality by compressing the tonal range. And a technique I am quite familiar enough with, thanks.
seanbryan likes this.

Sony 65A1E, Marantz 5010, Polk LSiM 705/704.
post #4115 of 8123 Old 05-22-2017, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_7982 View Post
I picked up the 65 inch A1 today with the x800 4k player, does anyone have the x800? If so is it a good player? I was trying to decide on this and the oppo but I got this one for 150$ so I couldn't pass it up.

My A1 won't be here till the 31st and I can't wait! Looking at al's pics I'm super pumped! Does anyone have any settings advice for a first time premium tv owner? I want to get the best out of it!
I've had the OPPO, no VP9.2 codec, but it's the best for PQ.

I now own UBPX800 and it has HDR YouTube app codec. PQ is great.

Enjoy your combo! Welcome.

OLED65E6P
post #4116 of 8123 Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just Got my 65" A1E today got it all setup with my Bose ST300 and my rears and Sub. was wondering about the sub out on this guy, anyone try using a sound bar such as the ST300 and plugging in lets say a Prosub 1000 for Definitive Tech. and seeing if it works?? if so im looking to get something a bit more hefty for this system. Thanks in Advance!

PS: Love this thing so Far!!!
post #4117 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks for the help I've received here in this thread, regarding my television purchasing decision, which largely was between the Sony A1E and the Sony Z9D, but there were a few other, lesser possibilities. I've greatly learned from reading this thread and appreciate all of it. However, my decision is for the 75'-inch Sony Z9D.

I wrote a post over at the main Z9D thread explaining my decision. It was really close, and both televisions are excellent, but there were a few important advantages the Sony Z9D has over the Sony A1E for me long-term. I'd say if the A1E had a more traditional stand underneath the television, rather than the new, untested kickstand, the decision more likely would have been for the A1E.

I, like many I've read mention this, would have loved to seen Samsung introduce a true, emissive form of QLED, without the ir possibilities, and other concerns currently with OLED. I would have chosen that over either LCD or OLED televisions. I'm also very interested in 8k and the possibility of 3D making a comeback at that point when glasses-free technology has a greater chance of true success.

Until then, I believe the Z9D will be just fine for me. However, as a long-time major fan of Sony, I hope well for all of its television models, including the A1E and its future OLEDs, etc.

Red Sun rising - Drown without inhaling
Within, the dark holds hard
Red Sun rising - Curtain falling
Higher than hope my cure lies

- Nightwish
post #4118 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
interesting

Sony KD-65A1 4K OLED | Oppo 103 | Marantz AV7703 | Mcintosh M6600 | Magnepan 1.7 | (surround x2) Magnepan MC-1 | CambridgeAudio azure 650R | MSB Analog Dac | Clearaudio Performance DC
post #4119 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 189
^^^^ The very underrated Vincent Teoh does a great job explaining the pros and cons of the current OLED sets in regards to tone mapping. Looks like it'll be another year or two before OLEDs will resolve the brightness (nits) issue in order to truly resolve this..
jamesmil and GeneWildersHair like this.
post #4120 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by våge View Post
Here is my response -> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post53162138

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #4121 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked: 5371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
^^^^ The very underrated Vincent Teoh does a great job explaining the pros and cons of the current OLED sets in regards to tone mapping. Looks like it'll be another year or two before OLEDs will resolve the brightness (nits) issue in order to truly resolve this..
Not true, probably going to be many years because the panel needs to get a lot brighter to help minimize the need for Tone Mapping.
10k likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #4122 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Not true, probably going to be many years because the panel needs to get a lot brighter to help minimize the need for Tone Mapping.

That's why its ok to buy now. It'll be 5-7 years before they are bright enough, or CLEDIS or micro led take over.
jrref likes this.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
post #4123 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6518 Post(s)
Liked: 6494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
I saw the Sony A1E 65 inch at Best Buy today in Sarasota, Florida. It looked simply fantastic, incredible picture! But, the 65 inch is just kinda small for me. The 77 inch one is just the right size for the immersion factor. Of course the price for it is still ridiculous (15k). I'll just have to wait a while
I wonder what price they will fall into a few years from now. There is even a chance they may never fall in price. Manufacturers always have that special order show piece that never really makes it in the real world. I hope this is not the case with 77". For example, plasma TV's never made it over 65" for a cost effective price which was a drag. The UN88KS9810 is the only unit that was huge, a special technology ( FALD ) and actually had a fair price, but now those are going to be gone after 2 year life cycle soon enough with no replacement in FALD
post #4124 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Yeah more nits and we will go blind in some years.
post #4125 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_7982 View Post

Congrats on your A1E order.

Be sure to check out dedicated thread on the X800 for more on that subject: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...rs-thread.html

I suggest you grab your favorite beverage and do some quick searches in this thread as well as over in the Owners A1E thread for setting suggestions and initial profiles you may want to start playing with. While there is no single POV and the discussion can go on forever as to "what's best", there are already a number put up by a few of us -- including my latest version from not a week ago over in the Owners thread. Also check out links to a couple of the recent reviews that included their settings you may want to try (especially the rtings.com version).

Lots of things to explore once your A1E arrives! Enjoy!
post #4126 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
From your Star Wars icon you already look like you have gotten the nits and more!
BlueChris likes this.

Last edited by tanman; 05-23-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #4127 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
As Vincent Teoh noted in the video more nits in HDR results in more detail not necessarily more brightness. In the comments HDTVTest said an A1E vs C7 comparison video will be forthcoming, looking forward to that.
seanbryan and Turrican4D like this.
post #4128 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
After leaning heavily towards the Z9D, I decided on the A1E to replace my beloved Panasonic ZT60. It'll be delivered next week...looks like I've got some reading to do!
Spizz, mnc, shyguy3763 and 5 others like this.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|Sony HT-Z9F|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
post #4129 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Indeed. Vincent Teoh is a genius, one of the highest level experts in calibration imo.
pahu007 likes this.
post #4130 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've almost wondered this myself. How many nits do you need to blind someone in a dark room, and how much is too much?

I mean I think Sony CLEDIS and future tech displays aim for 10,000 nits but I found 1000 nits to be very bright.

Realism isn't always the answer though, imagine if we one day have displays that can produce the brightness output of the sun, so if the camera films the sun it will be like us directly looking at the sun How many nits is the sun from earth though? 50,000 ?
aypues and Nick Martelli like this.
post #4131 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well damn, the sun energy output is measured at 3.84 * 10^26 which is basically a million octillion or a trillion, trillion, trillion

and you multiply watt by roughly 20 for the lumens right? so 76 followed by 26 zeroes of lumens. how many nits is that
Nick Martelli likes this.
post #4132 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
As Vincent Teoh noted in the video more nits in HDR results in more detail not necessarily more brightness. In the comments HDTVTest said an A1E vs C7 comparison video will be forthcoming, looking forward to that.
Cannot wait for this. So far it seems the only credible source that has compared Sony vs LG OLED is Rtings, with LG 7 series having an ever so slight advantage... Wonder what HDTVTest says
post #4133 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arysyn View Post
Thanks for the help I've received here in this thread, regarding my television purchasing decision, which largely was between the Sony A1E and the Sony Z9D, but there were a few other, lesser possibilities. I've greatly learned from reading this thread and appreciate all of it. However, my decision is for the 75'-inch Sony Z9D.

I wrote a post over at the main Z9D thread explaining my decision. It was really close, and both televisions are excellent, but there were a few important advantages the Sony Z9D has over the Sony A1E for me long-term. I'd say if the A1E had a more traditional stand underneath the television, rather than the new, untested kickstand, the decision more likely would have been for the A1E.

I, like many I've read mention this, would have loved to seen Samsung introduce a true, emissive form of QLED, without the ir possibilities, and other concerns currently with OLED. I would have chosen that over either LCD or OLED televisions. I'm also very interested in 8k and the possibility of 3D making a comeback at that point when glasses-free technology has a greater chance of true success.

Until then, I believe the Z9D will be just fine for me. However, as a long-time major fan of Sony, I hope well for all of its television models, including the A1E and its future OLEDs, etc.
Good luck with the Z9D. Hope it works well for you. I almost went with that one myself. A couple comments though:

1) The stand on the A1E is surprisingly robust. You can't really switch between the wall mount and table stand modes easily, since there's hardware in both cases to make the whole thing rigid. That part is key, IMO. And then there's the massive weight you add to the back when assembling it to use on a table stand. I honestly wouldn't have been that worried about it as long as you have the depth. It's surprisingly well built to take the stand into account. It's obvious from the fact that the 65" shaved a whole 3-4 lbs off the Z9D of the same size. But I don't think you are going too wrong with either the Z9D or the A1E, IMO. And it's not like the A1E is as affordable as the 75" Z9D is. At that size, I'd have picked the Z9D over the 77" A1E too.

2) I'm not sure QLED would solve the IR issues. It's been a problem to varying degrees with all technologies, and it depends on the maturity of the tech. LCD in particular used to be pretty bad in the 90s, and it took newer versions of the technology to improve on it. Now it is very hard to induce it on most LCDs, but with higher densities for computer screens, we're starting to see a resurgence of the effect. With QLED, my thoughts are that the emissive layer is the thing to pay attention to when it comes to IR. Since that's really where you step away from LCD behavior. It has potential, but I'd wait until we get to see the real deal before hanging my hat on emissive QDs being the thing to kill OLED. I wouldn't mind if it did, but it isn't really something I think we can speculate about with any accuracy.

Quote:
I have to agree with others who already posted. It will take more to overcome the brightness limits that OLED currently has. Especially since the white subpixel is partly responsible for helping it get as far as it does. It's already dealing with a deficit on that front.

But this is the sort of detailed comparison around tone mapping on the OLED sets that I've been looking for. Honestly, I have to agree with them that it's Panasonic's approach that seems to be the best one here.
Arysyn likes this.

post #4134 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess Panasonic EZ1000 IS the best consumer display ever made. That's what I've extrapolated from AVForums' review:

https://www.avforums.com/review/pana...v-review.13312

* The most accurate greyscale out of the box
* greatest colour accuracy out of the box
* Best near-black handling of any OLED, including Sony A1
* 99% DCI P3, Colour Volume on par with 2017 OLEDs
* Most accurate consumer display ever made
* 25ms input lag, much lower than the A1, right up there with C7
* 400 lines of motion resolution (is that the best performance for a non-plasma, ever?)

and obviously infinite contrast, absolute blacks bla bla. tracks the EOTF/SMPTE 2084 PQ almost perfectly

ALMOST perfect but the one disappointing thing with this TV is as measured in this review; the brightness. 640 nits

Thats LG 6 series performance... worse than A1 and 7 series LG OLED. I was really hoping Panasonic could get 800 or even 850 nits out of the EZ1000.

Anyway,

- 10/10 Colour accuracy
- 10/10 greyscale accuracy
- 10/10 out of the box picture quality
- 10/10 calibrated picture quality

Rest are 9/10s. The only 10/10 ratings the ZD9 and A1 got were for greyscale... rest being 8-9/10

Edit: They are literally stating this is the most accurate and best consumer display on the market, gave it 10 out of 10 on almost every category yet no 'Reference' badge rewarded... Not even *highly* recommended!!
Arysyn likes this.
post #4135 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Good luck with the Z9D. Hope it works well for you. I almost went with that one myself. A couple comments though:

1) The stand on the A1E is surprisingly robust. You can't really switch between the wall mount and table stand modes easily, since there's hardware in both cases to make the whole thing rigid. That part is key, IMO. And then there's the massive weight you add to the back when assembling it to use on a table stand. I honestly wouldn't have been that worried about it as long as you have the depth. It's surprisingly well built to take the stand into account. It's obvious from the fact that the 65" shaved a whole 3-4 lbs off the Z9D of the same size. But I don't think you are going too wrong with either the Z9D or the A1E, IMO. And it's not like the A1E is as affordable as the 75" Z9D is. At that size, I'd have picked the Z9D over the 77" A1E too.

2) I'm not sure QLED would solve the IR issues. It's been a problem to varying degrees with all technologies, and it depends on the maturity of the tech. LCD in particular used to be pretty bad in the 90s, and it took newer versions of the technology to improve on it. Now it is very hard to induce it on most LCDs, but with higher densities for computer screens, we're starting to see a resurgence of the effect. With QLED, my thoughts are that the emissive layer is the thing to pay attention to when it comes to IR. Since that's really where you step away from LCD behavior. It has potential, but I'd wait until we get to see the real deal before hanging my hat on emissive QDs being the thing to kill OLED. I wouldn't mind if it did, but it isn't really something I think we can speculate about with any accuracy.

I have to agree with others who already posted. It will take more to overcome the brightness limits that OLED currently has. Especially since the white subpixel is partly responsible for helping it get as far as it does. It's already dealing with a deficit on that front.

But this is the sort of detailed comparison around tone mapping on the OLED sets that I've been looking for. Honestly, I have to agree with them that it's Panasonic's approach that seems to be the best one here.
I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of the Z9D. It certainly was a close choice though between it and the A1E, both great televisions.

While I like the stand design of the A1E, the problem from what I was told by several salespeople, is the possibility of the connections between the kickstand and the panel itself breaking if I tried moving the television from the panel instead of from the kickstand. Unfortunately, that is the only way I could have moved the television the way I would have needed to, based on positioning it properly on the table I plan to use for the television. Due to the slightly unusual setup I have in my room, there wouldn't be any practical way for the television deliverers/installers to set it up without my needing to move it later on.

Anyways, I would have considered getting the Panasonic OLED, if it were available here in the U.S. as an alternative option to LG and Sony.

Red Sun rising - Drown without inhaling
Within, the dark holds hard
Red Sun rising - Curtain falling
Higher than hope my cure lies

- Nightwish
post #4136 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quick question about the AE1. Like I posted earlier, I love it. Hooked up the FiOS box, works great. Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, look great too. Hooked up my son's nintendo switch and it was horrible! I could not manipulate the settings enough to get a decent image. It is like too dark and missing some detail. Hooked up the switch to and older LCD and it was fine. Hooked up the switch to my 665ES projector and it looked great too. So I'm guessing something about the switch and the sony don't like each other! Any ideas?

Thanks!!

M
post #4137 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arysyn View Post
While I like the stand design of the A1E, the problem from what I was told by several salespeople, is the possibility of the connections between the kickstand and the panel itself breaking if I tried moving the television from the panel instead of from the kickstand.
That... doesn't make any sense to me. The setup guide itself states you should move it (with two people) using the panel, not the kickstand. Especially when assembling it. Until it is set in the base, and the screws put in place, the vast majority of the weight is in the panel. The base screws to both the kickstand and a brace that connects with the panel. That holds the whole thing rigid nicely. Once it's rigid, there's not much chance of the connections breaking. The brace pretty much ensures it won't flex in that way. I just might disconnect the base from the kickstand before moving it between rooms. It makes the TV much easier to move, IMO.

I honestly wouldn't even try to move it via the kickstand, the weight distribution is all wrong for it. Those sales people had to have been guessing, IMO.

Still, don't let me push you into buyer's remorse here. I just think they weren't properly informed/trained.
Arysyn likes this.

post #4138 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
I guess Panasonic EZ1000 IS the best consumer display ever made. That's what I've extrapolated from AVForums' review:

https://www.avforums.com/review/pana...v-review.13312

* The most accurate greyscale out of the box
* greatest colour accuracy out of the box
* Best near-black handling of any OLED, including Sony A1
* 99% DCI P3, Colour Volume on par with 2017 OLEDs
* Most accurate consumer display ever made
* 25ms input lag, much lower than the A1, right up there with C7
* 400 lines of motion resolution (is that the best performance for a non-plasma, ever?)

and obviously infinite contrast, absolute blacks bla bla. tracks the EOTF/SMPTE 2084 PQ almost perfectly

ALMOST perfect but the one disappointing thing with this TV is as measured in this review; the brightness. 640 nits

Thats LG 6 series performance... worse than A1 and 7 series LG OLED. I was really hoping Panasonic could get 800 or even 850 nits out of the EZ1000.

Anyway,

- 10/10 Colour accuracy
- 10/10 greyscale accuracy
- 10/10 out of the box picture quality
- 10/10 calibrated picture quality

Rest are 9/10s. The only 10/10 ratings the ZD9 and A1 got were for greyscale... rest being 8-9/10

Edit: They are literally stating this is the most accurate and best consumer display on the market, gave it 10 out of 10 on almost every category yet no 'Reference' badge rewarded... Not even *highly* recommended!!
Of course, Panasonic no longer sells tv's in USA

OLED65E6P
post #4139 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I guess Panasonic EZ1000 IS the best consumer display ever made.
Too bad Panasonic bailed on the US market, effectively. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that available.

Quote:
Well damn, the sun energy output is measured at 3.84 * 10^26 which is basically a million octillion or a trillion, trillion, trillion

and you multiply watt by roughly 20 for the lumens right? so 76 followed by 26 zeroes of lumens. how many nits is that
So, after applying the inverse square law, or just googling the final number, you get about 98k lumens per square meter (or 98k lux) at the Earth's surface. Divide by pi to get approximate nits, and you get roughly 30k nits. Since that can cause damage to the retina, let's definitely avoid displays that bright.

CLEDIS displays at 10k nits are probably more interesting for signage viewed at a distance, where the brightness drops down due to the distance that you view the sign at. A billboard, for example. That would be useful during the day when you are competing against sunlight.

post #4140 of 8123 Old 05-23-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
After leaning heavily towards the Z9D, I decided on the A1E to replace my beloved Panasonic ZT60. It'll be delivered next week...looks like I've got some reading to do!

What made you change your mind?

Viewing angles?

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page