Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14441Likes

post #4711 of 8172 Old 06-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Since the image of the A1e is a lot darker and seems cropped to you vs the G6...as well as loss of 3D.. Why are you staying with the A1E?
My guess, motion.

Equipment:
Sony XBR65A1E / Denon AVR-X4400H / Outlaw 5000 amp / Apple TV 4K /
Playstation 4 Pro / Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTM62, M1 / Klipsch KSW-15 /
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4712 of 8172 Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyR13 View Post
I just got my Sony a1e. I had the LG g6 both 65. I have the OPPO203 DVD player. Watching Content is much better on sony motion wise but I'm having a problem with HDR. I find the TV to be a lot darker than the G6 for some reason In HDR. And the G6 would play the same movies I have using the whole screen. The Sony crops it a little on top and bottom which annoys me Don't know if there's something I can-do in the settings But it's very dark as well.
Have you set your HDMI signal to "Enhanced" on the A1E?

Sony XBR-65A1E OPPO UDP-203
post #4713 of 8172 Old 06-07-2017, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancolt View Post
My guess, motion.
Makes sense. I still have my Samsung PN64F8500 plasma for watching sports as the motion is perfect. One of LG's only weakness that the A1E has improved. I'm on the fence myself between the A1E, 79D and LG G6P as a replacement for my F8500 and don't know if I can live without 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4714 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7386 Post(s)
Liked: 8266
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyR13 View Post
I just got my Sony a1e. I had the LG g6 both 65. I have the OPPO203 DVD player. Watching Content is much better on sony motion wise but I'm having a problem with HDR. I find the TV to be a lot darker than the G6 for some reason In HDR. And the G6 would play the same movies I have using the whole screen. The Sony crops it a little on top and bottom which annoys me Don't know if there's something I can-do in the settings But it's very dark as well.
As far as the cropping is concerned, it's probably something like the orbiter being engaged on the Sony and not on the LG. There's no reason, with proper settings, that one crops and the other doesn't.
post #4715 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked: 6859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
I'm sure the director intent was to make a good movie..
Ya, well I have seen some movies I had to stop watching there where so bad.....
ataneruo likes this.
post #4716 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocl View Post
Its done, i'll return lg c7 and get sony by the end of the week.
Got my Sony yesterday.
First impression is very good, the complaints that i have with c7 is now gone.

Which mode and settings should i use?

Regards,
statealum likes this.

Kocl
post #4717 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4614 Post(s)
Liked: 5609
Quote:
Got my Sony yesterday.

Which mode and settings should i use?

Regards,
Either Cinema Pro or Custom. Try them and see which one you like best.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #4718 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Got my Sony yesterday.

I'm curious, what complaints did you have about the c7 that are now better on the Sony?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #4719 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
I'm curious, what complaints did you have about the c7 that are now better on the Sony?

I was going to ask the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #4720 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
Quote:
Got my Sony yesterday.

The gradiation and posterization effects on background objects.
shyguy3763 and aypues like this.
post #4721 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quick question for an A1E owner. Where is the remote control sensor on the tv located. Need to know if I'll have dump my soundbar. Thanks!
post #4722 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb442386 View Post
Quick question for an A1E owner. Where is the remote control sensor on the tv located. Need to know if I'll have dump my soundbar. Thanks!
It's right on the bottom, in the center, where the LED light is.

Sony XBR-65A1E | Marantz SR7010 | Infinity P362, PC350, P162, P152 | SVS PC-2000 (2) | Microsoft Xbox One X | Apple TV
post #4723 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 792
can anyone tell me how to get android 7 to speed up? I know I saw a psot about how to make it quicker but I cant seem to find it now? Any help much appreciated

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #4724 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
can anyone tell me how to get android 7 to speed up? I know I saw a psot about how to make it quicker but I cant seem to find it now? Any help much appreciated
IIRC, Delete individual app cache, then reboot your TV (latter is 10-sec hold on remote power button or physically pull the plug, wait and put it back in).
post #4725 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Thinking swapping my LG for a Sony

Hey A1E guys,

I have an LG 65B7 and I am seriously thinking of taking it back to Costco and picking up an A1E.

My only issue with the LG is the motion (TruMotion). Coming from a Plasma, I am having a hard time dealing with the judder and artifacts. I’ve never had an LCD so I have never even thought about motion settings before now.

I have asked a lot of questions about the motion on the A1E and I have come to the conclusion that apparently it is so good that it is not an issue on the TV. Another point that leads me to believe this is true is, I don’t see any threads dedicated to MotionFlow or any in-depth discussions about how to fine tune MotionFlow to get it working properly without artifacts.

I do have a few questions.
  1. Is there a similar feature to the LG “HDR Effect” setting that makes SDR look like HDR?
  2. Is there a setting to turn off the internal speaker and just send the audio out via optical?
  3. If I send all devices directly to the TV via HDMI, will the TV send the audio to my Denon via optical? (Yes, I know… Stupid question but I had to ask)
  4. What 4K HDR apps are available? Is there a list online?
  5. How do the apps perform, any audio sync issues, crashing etc?
  6. How bad is Android 7? Does it piss you off daily, weekly?
Optional questions:
  1. What do you love about your A1E?
  2. What do you hate about your A1E?

Thank you very much for any info that you can provide.

Dan

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #4726 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Hey A1E guys,

I have an LG 65B7 and I am seriously thinking of taking it back to Costco and picking up an A1E.

My only issue with the LG is the motion (TruMotion). Coming from a Plasma, I am having a hard time dealing with the judder and artifacts. I’ve never had an LCD so I have never even thought about motion settings before now.

I have asked a lot of questions about the motion on the A1E and I have come to the conclusion that apparently it is so good that it is not an issue on the TV. Another point that leads me to believe this is true is, I don’t see any threads dedicated to MotionFlow or any in-depth discussions about how to fine tune MotionFlow to get it working properly without artifacts.

1. Is there a similar feature to the LG “HDR Effect” setting that makes SDR look like HDR?
  2. Is there a setting to turn off the internal speaker and just send the audio out via optical?
  3. If I send all devices directly to the TV via HDMI, will the TV send the audio to my Denon via optical? (Yes, I know… Stupid question but I had to ask)
Optional questions:

Dan

1. The jury is still out. Some owners recall Sony marketing it's own version of HDR Effect called "Dynamic HDR". Unlike LG's version that can be turned on by using dynamic contrast on low it was said that Sony's is on all the time. I haven't seen any reviews mention Dynamic HDR by Sony though.
2. Yes and the sony is very simple. You only have two sound settings to choose from. Internal Speaker or Sound System
3. It should but I have never tried it to confirm. I use ARC so I don't have to use an optical cable.
4 and 5. I will have to do some testing to see. I'm pretty sure the basics are covered Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc
6. I have had to reboot Android twice and that was right after the Android 7 update. Since then I have not had any issues with Android. However it does seem to lag from time to time.

Optional questions:
  1. What do you love about your A1E? I love how polished it feels with any video content I throw at it. It's the combination of how it handles motion, reduces color banding, near black noise, makes even highly compressed content look decent, etc. It's the best television I have ever owned.
  2. What do you hate about your A1E? The price. Even though I can't notice the tilt from the front just the fact that it exists and I know it's there still bothers me a little. It's also pretty heavy compared to other Oled televisions. When it comes time to replace it the television is going to be a pain to move.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #4727 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
1. The jury is still out. Some owners recall Sony marketing it's own version of HDR Effect called "Dynamic HDR". Unlike LG's version that can be turned on by using dynamic contrast on low it was said that Sony's is on all the time. I haven't seen any reviews mention Dynamic HDR by Sony though.
2. Yes and the sony is very simple. You only have two sound settings to choose from. Internal Speaker or Sound System
3. It should but I have never tried it to confirm. I use ARC so I don't have to use an optical cable.
4 and 5. I will have to do some testing to see. I'm pretty sure the basics are covered Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc
6. I have had to reboot Android twice and that was right after the Android 7 update. Since then I have not had any issues with Android. However it does seem to lag from time to time.

Optional questions:
  1. What do you love about your A1E? I love how polished it feels with any video content I throw at it. It's the combination of how it handles motion, reduces color banding, near black noise, makes even highly compressed content look decent, etc. It's the best television I have ever owned.
  2. What do you hate about your A1E? The price. Even though I can't notice the tilt from the front just the fact that it exists and I know it's there still bothers me a little. It's also pretty heavy compared to other Oled televisions. When it comes time to replace it the television is going to be a pain to move.
Wow, thanks for all the info.

LG has dynamic HDR for HDR-10 content, I was wondering more about if Sony had something like LG's HDR EFFECT which works on SDR content.

I would use ARC but my receiver doesn't support hdmi 2 so I need that port for another device.

I use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and YouTube a lot. I wish I could find a list of Android TV apps but google seems to group all phone, tablet and tv apps together.

Dan
statealum likes this.

Equipment:
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #4728 of 8172 Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Hey A1E guys,

Optional questions:
I just recently came from a B6, but many of your complaints are still valid.

Love: The A1E handles poor content much better than the B6. A show like Game of Thrones streaming on HBO Go no longer looks unwatchable or bad in low light scenes. The smooth gradation feature set to low is great to combat banding in sky scenes. The motion is a huge improvement. It doesn't suffer from the artifacts problem LGs are plagued with.

Don't care for: The lagginess of Android. Sometimes it takes a while for the OS to respond to commands. I don't normally use TV apps, so eventually this won't bother me, but since I'm still tinkering with picture settings, it's bothersome waiting for the OS to catch up at times as I go back and forth. Because of this, I wish there was an option to "apply to all sources" for picture options like LGs have. A minor complaint, but right now I wish it existed.

The design is polarizing, but I absolutely love it. It doesn't look ordinary at all. I'd hate to move it again though.
Spizz, shyguy3763 and ataneruo like this.

Sony XBR-65A1E | Marantz SR7010 | Infinity P362, PC350, P162, P152 | SVS PC-2000 (2) | Microsoft Xbox One X | Apple TV
post #4729 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

LG has dynamic HDR for HDR-10 content, I was wondering more about if Sony had something like LG's HDR EFFECT which works on SDR content.

I would use ARC but my receiver doesn't support hdmi 2 so I need that port for another device.

I use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and YouTube a lot. I wish I could find a list of Android TV apps but google seems to group all phone, tablet and tv apps together.

Dan
Sony has something called Advanced Contrast Enhancer which from what I've read functions like LG's Dynamic Contrast/Active HDR effect

Sony 65" A1E
post #4730 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
Also remove unnecessary apps and trim which apps or features are displayed. Select which things you want and try to trim the interface.

original article: https://purewell.co.uk/blog/sony-and...te-3-ways-fix/
ataneruo likes this.

Theater: Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD, Oppo-205, Anthem AVM60, 7.1.4 B & W CM 7 LR,CDM-cse, CM 1, CM 1 S2, Silverline minuet , SVS SB13 Ultra, Rotel RMB 1555, Parasound A23, Naim NAP 100, EEcolor lut box. Calman, MobileForge, I1D3 & I1pro 2.
Stereo: Aurender N100H, Auralic Vega DAC, Focal Chorus 836 W, BAT VK-3ix, Pass XA 30.5, PPP.
post #4731 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Hey A1E guys,

Optional questions:

Dan
There's currently some paradoxes.. B7 has all HDR enabled apps out the box.. A1 only supports HDR10 and HLG at this time with DV coming rumored to be soon.

But in picture.. you'll read here guys say "they are the same in picture" and even Vincent say "similar picture" and that's a curved statement I'm not fully getting in my observation.. the 2017 LG looks great if you want to be satisfied you're getting a reference "purist" image.. but I don't care what anyone say about this LG purist image.. if you look at this video from Vincent and see the imaging on the A1E with general playback (though the A1 here is adjusted to be considered calibrated), the 2017 LG OLED, while looking great, does NOT look exactly like the screens behind Vincent in this video.. I personally can see this difference in image processing, I'm guessing most can't, but the pitch, color handling, and representation of overall fidelity is something different with the "Sony Color"... its a choice of loving what it does, or dealing with the war of finding the magic settings on LG:

post #4732 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I asked this question before but received no answer:

Does the A1E YouTube app support the VP9 Profile 2 HDR capability?

Does the Google Play movies played via the A1E app support HDR and 4K resolution, and if so, how do you verify data throughput?

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD (Calibrated Cinema Pro / Cinema Home / HDR) - LG UP970 UHD Player
NVidia Shield Pro (2015) - Chromecast Ultra
PS4 Pro 1TB - 30TB NFS Share Over LAN (Win7 HaneWin)
SANUS VLF525-B1 Wall Mount
post #4733 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmo View Post

Does the Google Play movies played via the A1E app support HDR and 4K resolution, and if so, how do you verify data throughput?
...probably because no one can answer with 100% certainty.

I am not aware of a way on the A1E itself to see realtime color/display detail of what the onboard apps (or even external inputs) are providing for display, other than WxH resolution and if what's playing is HDR or not. In other threads, people discuss some of the types of detail you're interested in for other platforms like Roku, but IMHO it's many times from researching websites related to those apps and what they are "supposed" to be doing on certain platforms -- not always what is being sent for display like say my OPPO UDP-203 easily provides for any source going through it. Perhaps there is some Android App that may assist -- IDK as I don't use onboard apps or have experience with the Android platform, but it may be something for you to explore.
post #4734 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does the A1E YouTube app support the VP9 Profile 2 HDR capability? - No

Does the Google Play movies played via the A1E app support HDR and 4K resolution, and if so, how do you verify data throughput? - 4K yes not sure about HDR

John
post #4735 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Here are few gaps I've noticed with the A1E with some having promised remediation in the semi-near future:

1. No VUDU HDR support
2. No YouTube VP9 Profile 2 support
3. Unknown resolution/HDR capability for Google Play movies
4. No Dolby Vision support (yet)
5. No clear indication from the UI as the incoming detailed bitrate and/or HDR profile (perhaps when more than just HDR10 is fed this will occur?)
6. MediaTek SOC processor undersized for full Kodi support

For a state of the art TV, there are some notable gaps here that even a $50 Chromecast dongle can remediate. What's up Sony?
Spizz, jermar and ataneruo like this.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD (Calibrated Cinema Pro / Cinema Home / HDR) - LG UP970 UHD Player
NVidia Shield Pro (2015) - Chromecast Ultra
PS4 Pro 1TB - 30TB NFS Share Over LAN (Win7 HaneWin)
SANUS VLF525-B1 Wall Mount
post #4736 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Here are few gaps I've noticed with the A1E with some having promised remediation in the semi-near future:

1. No VUDU HDR support
2. No YouTube VP9 Profile 2 support
3. Unknown resolution/HDR capability for Google Play movies
4. No Dolby Vision support (yet)
5. No clear indication from the UI as the incoming detailed bitrate and/or HDR profile (perhaps when more than just HDR10 is fed this will occur?)
6. MediaTek SOC processor undersized for full Kodi support

For a state of the art TV, there are some notable gaps here that even a $50 Chromecast dongle can remediate. What's up Sony?
1. No VUDU HDR support - Should come when DV is available.
2. No YouTube VP9 Profile 2 support - Supposed to come with DV update.
3. Unknown resolution/HDR capability for Google Play movies - Probably never going to happen or we would have it now.
4. No Dolby Vision support (yet) - Update should be available soon.
5. No clear indication from the UI as the incoming detailed bitrate and/or HDR profile (perhaps when more than just HDR10 is fed this will occur?) - Great point but not a show stopper.
6. MediaTek SOC processor undersized for full Kodi support - This is sad but Sony users have been complaining about this for a long time on previous sets.

John
post #4737 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Hey A1E guys,

Optional questions:

Dan
Thanks you for putting this together and asking a well thought batch of questions. It's helpful for us all
ataneruo likes this.
post #4738 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

Dan
No problem. 10K did some testing with the Object Based HDR Remaster which is the Sony equivalent to LG's HDR Effect or the HDR+ on the Samsungs. He believes it's tied to the Advance Contrast Enhancer Control. You can read his results on post #1495 on the Sony XBR-X940E owners thread.

If Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and YouTube are the apps you use a lot then you should be fine eventually. The Sony A1E is still waiting to get some features like Youtube HDR but all of the apps you named are pretty common and should be fully supported on the Sony.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #4739 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
No problem. 10K did some testing with the Object Based HDR Remaster which is the Sony equivalent to LG's HDR Effect or the HDR+ on the Samsungs. He believes it's tied to the Advance Contrast Enhancer Control. You can read his results on post #1495 on the Sony XBR-X940E owners thread.

If Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and YouTube are the apps you use a lot then you should be fine eventually. The Sony A1E is still waiting to get some features like Youtube HDR but all of the apps you named are pretty common and should be fully supported on the Sony.
This interview with Sony's product manager has a ton of great info on the Sony picture processing as well. They are talking about the z9d but substantially all of the conversation is relevant for all TV w/ X1 Extreme chips in them -> https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/341
statealum likes this.
post #4740 of 8172 Old 06-09-2017, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post
This interview with Sony's product manager has a ton of great info on the Sony picture processing as well. They are talking about the z9d but substantially all of the conversation is relevant for all TV w/ X1 Extreme chips in them -> https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/341
I just finished watching this interview and it was very insightful. It's totally changed my attitude on using HDR mode on SDR content.
10k and statealum like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page