Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 160 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14432Likes

post #4771 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible11111 View Post
There's still things the Sony(based on reviews and thoughts from owners) offers without 'magic dust' and that is how it handles all content. And watch Vincents comparison videos for example when The Revenant while calibrated looked cleaner on the A1 than the C7 at one part of the movie. So my decision is gonna be more based on stuff like that because for me that is the main reason for upgrading this year.
These things are the X1E chip and the chip only, because at its core its an LG panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
These things are the X1E chip and the chip only, because at its core its an LG panel.
Yes but these are still things owners can take advantage of while calibrated like Vincent showed. You made it sound like there's no point getting the Sony over LG if it's going to be calibrated but perhaps i misunderstood.
post #4773 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invincible11111 View Post
Yes but these are still things owners can take advantage of while calibrated like Vincent showed. You made it sound like there's no point getting the Sony over LG if it's going to be calibrated but perhaps i misunderstood.
My only point is just exploring all the things the X1E chip does.. and posting my impressions... with an understanding that there's a common preference people prefer for picture delivery here, and won't ever get around to using them to see what the extra stuff does..

I'm just the member that is exploring the settings and saying even if other members choose not to use them, they do deliver what Sony is saying it does...

Last edited by Al Leong; 06-11-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4774 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyR13 View Post
how do u think I fix it
I've gone back to try and follow your posts. It appears you are concerned with too dark HDR and a cropped picture. IDK if the latter is only with OPPO, just your broadcast TV, or all sources. I'm also not sure what picture profile and settings you may have changed from the defaults. Anyway, a couple additional suggestions:

Crop:
- If it happens to all sources, not just ones via your OPPO to your A1E while watching content, on the A1E remote press Action Menu, then select Wide Mode from the pop-up. From there, change the format of "the crop" to suit your taste -- you'll see pictures and online help will provide more detail of what they do. "Full" is what I use most of the time.
- If the problem happens to only certain sources, change the settings on your OPPO, TV receiver or whatever to change the crop. Most of my sources allow me to also change the crop in that device, as well as in my AVR, and then also in my A1E.

Dark HDR:
- Some here will of course suggest you need to get your TV calibrated. That's up to you, but if greyscale, brightness, contrast, colors, etc. are off with SDR, HDR is likely going to still have an issue. You can of course cause all sort of problems with HDR and a too-dark image if you've got black level/black adjust messed up. If you've fiddled with whatever picture profile settings you are using, you may want to reset them to defaults and start over first.
- Do be sure though, besides the basic enablement of 4K HDR with "HDMI Signal Format: Enhanced", in Picture Adjustments under Video Options: You should have all three of those settings left at the default of Auto -- which amongst what they do, will cause the A1E to use your existing picture profile and regardless of your SDR setting, automatically max-out brightness and XDR when an HDR source is played. Without that, it's another possibility for very dark HDR content.

If the defaults and these suggestions don't help, I'll let you locate and explore setting combinations some of us have provided across the 3 A1E threads that work for us. Good luck.
post #4775 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Does the A1E have the new Android 7.0 Nougat OS or version 6? Just wondering if it improves the OS any since that seems to be Sony's biggest weakness on their TVs (other than maybe the crappy remotes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4776 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyR13 View Post
how do u think I fix it
There must be a setting for pixel orbiter. I forgot the name that Sony gives it.
post #4777 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The points you keep making was expressed 2 months ago and is obvious to everyone reading here.. My points in having the new DV discs as comparisons, what the A1E does and how it does it to match that performance..

This is a progressive conversation, no one cares what it takes for another guy to open his wallet.
No Al, actually I was responding to your posting of Sony's advertising hype regarding 'magic dust'. You posted it and I responded to it.

And actually I do think it's useful for prospective buyers to see the thought processes of others in purchasing a new display. It's probably one of the most frequently asked questions on AVS, "which display should I buy and why".

Last edited by Ken Ross; 06-11-2017 at 11:40 AM.
post #4778 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMIL View Post
Does the A1E have the new Android 7.0 Nougat OS or version 6? Just wondering if it improves the OS any since that seems to be Sony's biggest weakness on their TVs (other than maybe the crappy remotes).

7.0 came in with the first update. Other posts on detail, but for me the biggest change was just a reorganization and new presentation of how things like settings are displayed. IMHO it is no silver bullet or night-and-day improvement if that is what you were hoping for.
Spizz likes this.
post #4779 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
I've gone back to try and follow your posts. It appears you are concerned with too dark HDR and a cropped picture. IDK if the latter is only with OPPO, just your broadcast TV, or all sources. I'm also not sure what picture profile and settings you may have changed from the defaults. Anyway, a couple additional suggestions:

Crop:
- If it happens to all sources, not just ones via your OPPO to your A1E while watching content, on the A1E remote press Action Menu, then select Wide Mode from the pop-up. From there, change the format of "the crop" to suit your taste -- you'll see pictures and online help will provide more detail of what they do. "Full" is what I use most of the time.
- If the problem happens to only certain sources, change the settings on your OPPO, TV receiver or whatever to change the crop. Most of my sources allow me to also change the crop in that device, as well as in my AVR, and then also in my A1E.

Dark HDR:
- Some here will of course suggest you need to get your TV calibrated. That's up to you, but if greyscale, brightness, contrast, colors, etc. are off with SDR, HDR is likely going to still have an issue. You can of course cause all sort of problems with HDR and a too-dark image if you've got black level/black adjust messed up. If you've fiddled with whatever picture profile settings you are using, you may want to reset them to defaults and start over first.
- Do be sure though, besides the basic enablement of 4K HDR with "HDMI Signal Format: Enhanced", in Picture Adjustments under Video Options: You should have all three of those settings left at the default of Auto -- which amongst what they do, will cause the A1E to use your existing picture profile and regardless of your SDR setting, automatically max-out brightness and XDR when an HDR source is played. Without that, it's another possibility for very dark HDR content.

If the defaults and these suggestions don't help, I'll let you locate and explore setting combinations some of us have provided across the 3 A1E threads that work for us. Good luck.
I only have a problem with HDR and the tv is in enhanced format. the other 3 setting are at auto in HDR I left all setting default. vivid is the brightest but all the others are way to dark.. when I'm watching cable the tv is fine and bright Netflix too full screen and bright. my lg was awesome in HDR. but horrible everywhere else I can't win. I don't know what setting to change. I have the revenant, mad max , hacksaw ridge, all cropped and can't fix it , lg g6 didn't crop it only movie it cropped was batmam vs superman .. if u have these movies dose yours crop it down?
post #4780 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
For Sony to release a OLED product after all these years of LG OLEDs being in the market to not offer anything "more" would be a waste of anyone's time.
For anyone to buy a Sony A1E and ignore the features that make it special, tune it down to make it do what those years of LG OLEDs did/do.. is even a bigger waste of money and time.
True, but Sony has a huge fan base, they could sell a LG re-badge and make it work......
post #4781 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
True, but Sony has a huge fan base, they could sell a LG re-badge and make it work......

Sony has be re-badging all TVs since they stop producing the Trinitron. Nothing special about picking LG after years of selling Samsung panels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken Ross and Geronimo.USMC like this.
post #4782 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
Sony has be re-badging all TVs since they stop producing the Trinitron. Nothing special about picking LG after years of selling Samsung panels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, the never made a plasma either during the plasma days. All their plasma panels were bought from other suppliers too. The days of Sony actually making TVs from start to finish is long gone.
post #4783 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Yup, they never made a plasma either during the plasma days. All their plasma panels were bought from other suppliers too. The days of Sony actually making TVs from start to finish is long gone.
Apple iPhone uses Samsung LCD (soon to be OLED) panels, and there's a noticeable difference between an iPhone and Galaxy phone. Both the XBOX One and PS4 are made of the same hardware architecture..

The software layer becomes the differentiator.. LG OS is better, all the HDR apps work out of the box.. but if you're using an OPPO 203 to play in content, which many people will.. there is a difference between the 2 TVs.. there's no need to activate the additional settings of the A1.. once you get the time to sit in front of both for yourself and watch extended content playback.. perhaps at the VE shootout, you'll see for yourself.

A person doesn't have to like the dynamic object HDR remastering of the A1E, but there are also a ton of people who loves it and me for one can't go back to life without it.
ataneruo likes this.
post #4784 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Apple iPhone uses Samsung LCD (soon to be OLED) panels, and there's a noticeable difference between an iPhone and Galaxy phone. Both the XBOX One and PS4 are made of the same hardware architecture..

The software layer becomes the differentiator.. LG OS is better, all the HDR apps work out of the box.. but if you're using an OPPO 203 to play in content, which many people will.. there is a difference between the 2 TVs.. there's no need to activate the additional settings of the A1.. once you get the time to sit in front of both for yourself and watch extended content playback.. perhaps at the VE shootout, you'll see for yourself.

A person doesn't have to like the dynamic object HDR remastering of the A1E, but there are also a ton of people who loves it and me for one can't go back to life without it.
I agree, Apple's IOS vs Android is a huge differentiator. I used to be someone who refused to join the Apple community, but after using an iPhone and a Mac, I wouldn't go back to Android phones or Windows. That's not to say I don't have a Windows computer too, but it's almost a necessity to have one on hand.

But it's precisely for that reason that Sony earns a big demerit in my book for their TV's OS. If you buy a Sony you have to live with their OS. Going into Netflix last night, my 940c locked up...again. It then somehow 'forgot' my internet connection and I had to start over.
post #4785 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
I agree, Apple's IOS vs Android is a huge differentiator. I used to be someone who refused to join the Apple community, but after using an iPhone and a Mac, I wouldn't go back to Android phones or Windows. That's not to say I don't have a Windows computer too, but it's almost a necessity to have one on hand.

But it's precisely for that reason that Sony earns a big demerit in my book for their TV's OS. If you buy a Sony you have to live with their OS. Going into Netflix last night, my 940c locked up...again. It then somehow 'forgot' my internet connection and I had to start over.
I write mobile and TV apps for many platforms. Not all Android devices are created equal either including TVs. Its just like how IOS and Android are different.

Its always comical when someone compares their old android phone (typically some Samsung garbage) to their newer iPhone. Its almost like iPhone owners don't think competitors make progress with their operating systems or hardware. People in general also do not seem to know their are other android devices that offer a completely different experience. If you ran with a Google Pixel for a while you would be shocked how good it is. Windows is different because what you get on one device is he same on the other. That is absolutely not the case with Android. Samsung borderline ruins the Android OS before they ship their phones.

Also, I have said this many times.... The Android TV OS is not the problem with the Sony TVs. Its the terrible Mediatek chipset that Sony uses. The processor is terribly slow and even the wifi/ethernet are just bad. My Nvidia Shield Android TV runs circles around my Sony Android TV and even my Apple TV.

IMO LG's OS is much worse than Android TV. There are FAR less apps and there is no built in Chromecast support or personal assistant. Yes, Sony TVs will have the same functionality as a Google Home very soon and Google Assistant is much better than Alexa and Siri. The one thing I will give the LG OS is the difference in apps supporting HDR but that should change soon. If you are not a fan of the Android TV interface it is also getting a complete content first revamp which can be seen here.

Last edited by adam355; 06-11-2017 at 01:39 PM.
post #4786 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

The analogy is a pretty good one. Both use commodity hardware where they have no value added and then use custom hardware/software where they can differentiate themselves. Both also charge a premium for their differentiation.

The only area imho where Sony falls flat has been in its user interfaces and in updating older products.

ataneruo likes this.
post #4787 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Well I did it.

I returned my 65B7 and picked up an A1E.

Wow, just wow. Even my wife noticed.

I left the MotionFlow on standard, which is the default and it looks just great! It is not just the motion that is better it's the color, clarity, everything. It's like my plasma but on steroids.

The only bad thing about the TV is the Android OS. Damn it is pokey at times. I had to pull the plug once when it completely locked up.

Thank you everyone for all the information you provided that helped me make the decision to get this wonderful TV.

Dan
Spizz, mnc, shyguy3763 and 6 others like this.

Equipment:
Sony XBR65A1E / Denon AVR-X4400H / Outlaw 5000 amp / Apple TV 4K /
Playstation 4 Pro / Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTM62, M1 / Klipsch KSW-15 /
Ubiquiti Unifi Network
post #4788 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancolt View Post
Well I did it.

I returned my 65B7 and picked up an A1E.

I left the MotionFlow on standard, which is the default and it looks just great! It is not just the motion that is better it's the color, clarity, everything. It's like my plasma but on steroids.

The only bad thing about the TV is the Android OS. Damn it is pokey at times. I had to pull the plug once when it completely locked up.

Thank you everyone for all the information you provided that helped me make the decision to get this wonderful TV.

Dan
Welcome to the Dark Side of the TV force....

The A1.. when the (Sony) Empire struck back!!!

When you get a chance, if you have it.. Star Wars Ep III Blu-ray first 20 minutes.. Pacific Rim 4K BD.. and of course Mad Max 4K BD.. May sound funny but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 4K BD is on the level of Pacific Rim... some eye candy treats to get started with...

Last edited by Al Leong; 06-11-2017 at 04:21 PM.
post #4789 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
I write mobile and TV apps for many platforms. Not all Android devices are created equal either including TVs. Its just like how IOS and Android are different.

Its always comical when someone compares their old android phone (typically some Samsung garbage) to their newer iPhone. Its almost like iPhone owners don't think competitors make progress with their operating systems or hardware. People in general also do not seem to know their are other android devices that offer a completely different experience. If you ran with a Google Pixel for a while you would be shocked how good it is. Windows is different because what you get on one device is he same on the other. That is absolutely not the case with Android. Samsung borderline ruins the Android OS before they ship their phones.

Also, I have said this many times.... The Android TV OS is not the problem with the Sony TVs. Its the terrible Mediatek chipset that Sony uses. The processor is terribly slow and even the wifi/ethernet are just bad. My Nvidia Shield Android TV runs circles around my Sony Android TV and even my Apple TV.

IMO LG's OS is much worse than Android TV. There are FAR less apps and there is no built in Chromecast support or personal assistant. Yes, Sony TVs will have the same functionality as a Google Home very soon and Google Assistant is much better than Alexa and Siri. The one thing I will give the LG OS is the difference in apps supporting HDR but that should change soon. If you are not a fan of the Android TV interface it is also getting a complete content first revamp which can be seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UehNYsspc0M
I agree with some of what you say Adam, but forgetting apps, the difference in stability between the LG OS and the Sony OS are day & night. Been there done that and continue to 'do that'. Never once had a crash with LG's OS, but I've lost count of how many I've had with the Sony. So whether it's the fault of the OS, or, as you say the processor, it makes not a bit of difference to the end-user. We're stuck with whatever is causing the issue.
post #4790 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
I agree with some of what you say Adam, but forgetting apps, the difference in stability between the LG OS and the Sony OS are day & night. Been there done that and continue to 'do that'. Never once had a crash with LG's OS, but I've lost count of how many I've had with the Sony. So whether it's the fault of the OS, or, as you say the processor, it makes not a bit of difference to the end-user. We're stuck with whatever is causing the issue.
Thats my whole point. The OS is more stable on different hardware. My Shield Android TV never crashes and its even on the exact same OS as the A1E. The Shield processor finishes tasks in time so the software never quits. The Shield glides around like butter while the Sony is a laggy freezing mess. It may not make a difference to the end user now but if you are educated about the matter you may not avoid a future Sony TV or other Android TV device if it runs on faster hardware.
ataneruo likes this.
post #4791 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Welcome to the Dark Side of the TV force....

The A1.. when the (Sony) Empire struck back!!!

When you get a chance, if you have it.. Star Wars Ep III Blu-ray first 20 minutes.. Pacific Rim 4K BD.. and of course Mad Max 4K BD.. May sound funny but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 4K BD is on the level of Pacific Rim... some eye candy treats to get started with...
Is it true that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 4K BD is in Dolby Vision?
post #4792 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post
Is it true that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 4K BD is in Dolby Vision?
No its not. The HDR10 though is outstanding.
post #4793 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Everyday I go back in forth between the 65inch a1e and 75inch 940e. I'm sure some of you had to fight it..so what made you decide to choose the smaller screen size?

I sit 8-10 feet away in a 14x14 room.
post #4794 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
Everyday I go back in forth between the 65inch a1e and 75inch 940e. I'm sure some of you had to fight it..so what made you decide to choose the smaller screen size?

I sit 8-10 feet away in a 14x14 room.
8-10 in a 15 x 20 room with a 55". You will be happy with the 65".
post #4795 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancolt View Post
This! First TV the wife has noticed in 40 years.
post #4796 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Out of curiosity, did Sony manage to solve the vignetting problem that so many LG OLEDs were plagued by?
post #4797 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 08:03 PM

post #4798 of 8148 Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Has the price for the 77" been announced yet? And when will the 77" be available? Thanks!!
Geronimo.USMC likes this.
post #4799 of 8148 Old 06-12-2017, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam355 View Post
Thats my whole point. The OS is more stable on different hardware. My Shield Android TV never crashes and its even on the exact same OS as the A1E. The Shield processor finishes tasks in time so the software never quits. The Shield glides around like butter while the Sony is a laggy freezing mess. It may not make a difference to the end user now but if you are educated about the matter you may not avoid a future Sony TV or other Android TV device if it runs on faster hardware.

So do use always use your Shield for streaming on your A1E in lieu of Sony's internal apps?

Does this avoid the issues involving 24fps sources displayed at 60hz?

What is your setup for using your 2 fully capable hdmi inputs. Do you connect the Shield and your Oppo directly to the television and then route your cable/sat through the Oppo?
post #4800 of 8148 Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by In.vincible View Post
Out of curiosity, did Sony manage to solve the vignetting problem that so many LG OLEDs were plagued by?
No not 100% but varies from panel to panel.
In.vincible likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page