Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14442Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4891 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 17,107
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:
Originally Posted by c__w View Post
I don't agree. The reason you're saying colour accuracy is more important is because because you can stick a meter on it and check it.
Uh, no it isn't. I've lived with calibrated TVs for almost 15 years now. I know how colors are supposed to look and can point out the inaccurate colors on my A1Es without a meter. Also, I'm not a calibrator who is strictly by the numbers. My eyes are the first and final validation.

Quote:
Motion and graduation are subjective but the viewer can see it and judge it isolation. Crap motion is crap motion, as is bitty colour graduation.
Do you own an A1E and/or 2017 LG?

Quote:
In isolation colours can look perfect to your eye only against a reference meter can you say it's not right, but poor motion is there to see with your eyes.
For an amateur, sure. I'm not an amateur. Again, lived with reference colors for years pal. I know how things should look.... without a meter.

Quote:
Television is about the viewing experience, which can be subjective. Start concentrating solely on colour accuracy and nothing else (such as ignoring the huge efforts to develop the processing engine) , well you may as well just buy a monitor.
This is your opinion which is subjective.

Oh and BTW, unless you are using the Coax cable IN port and/or the internal sound amp, you are using the display as a Monitor
Ken Ross, rlb, JimP and 7 others like this.
D-Nice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4892 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
An update on the new 77" OLEDs: Robert of Value Electronics, confirmed to me a short time ago, the 77" Sony will come in at $17,999 and the 77" LG at $14,999, a $3,000 disparity.



He said this is 100% confirmed.


That's funny he told me it's the opposite.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
Nick Martelli is offline  
post #4893 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
robert9674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,487
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
ISF Bright Room defaults to 2.2. ISF Dark Room defaults to 1886. Gamma -2 on the Sony equals 2.4 on the C7.


I thought gamma of -2 equals 2.2 on Sony and 0 is 2.4

Sony A1E
Triton one

Last edited by robert9674; 06-15-2017 at 05:11 PM.
robert9674 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4894 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 17,107
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2115 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
I thought gamma of -2 equals 2.2 on Sony and 0 is 2.4
You have it backwards
D-Nice is offline  
post #4895 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,260
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martelli View Post
That's funny he told me it's the opposite.
The prices had recently changed.

Either way, the Sony was always priced higher. I suspect you misunderstood Robert.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4896 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The prices had recently changed.



Either way, the Sony was always priced higher. I suspect you misunderstood Robert.


He emailed me 4 days ago.

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
Nick Martelli is offline  
post #4897 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martelli View Post
He emailed me 4 days ago.
Pricing has been announced for the 77". $20K pre order $18K from Robert sounds about right.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2871777

Incidentally, browsing through the Sony owners only thread and the LG b7/c7 owners thread, it seems the Sony thread has fewer reports of banding and vignetting? Not sure if that is because there are more LG owners, or they're more apt to check with slides, or Sony does a better job of hiding uniformity problems, or some combination of these and other factors.
barth2 is offline  
post #4898 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 10:32 PM
Newbie
 
Isoparm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
Incidentally, browsing through the Sony owners only thread and the LG b7/c7 owners thread, it seems the Sony thread has fewer reports of banding and vignetting? Not sure if that is because there are more LG owners, or they're more apt to check with slides, or Sony does a better job of hiding uniformity problems, or some combination of these and other factors.
My guess is that the banding is the same across panels as they are all produced by LG, the vignetting... from what I'm gathering it's possible that is due to the manufacturing of the whole TV, so it's possible the Sony is a bit better crafted?
shyguy3763 and pakten like this.
Isoparm is offline  
post #4899 of 8186 Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
Pricing has been announced for the 77". $20K pre order $18K from Robert sounds about right.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2871777

Incidentally, browsing through the Sony owners only thread and the LG b7/c7 owners thread, it seems the Sony thread has fewer reports of banding and vignetting? Not sure if that is because there are more LG owners, or they're more apt to check with slides, or Sony does a better job of hiding uniformity problems, or some combination of these and other factors.


Yup I see the announcement

A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
Oppo 203
Xbox One S
Denon AVR X6300W
Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Origin Acoustics Theater 68
Nick Martelli is offline  
post #4900 of 8186 Old 06-16-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,769
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked: 5720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoparm View Post
My guess is that the banding is the same across panels as they are all produced by LG, the vignetting... from what I'm gathering it's possible that is due to the manufacturing of the whole TV, so it's possible the Sony is a bit better crafted?
There are very few verified cases of vignetting on the Sony. Just one purchaser best I can remember. Banding on the Sony is also much better which is why you are not seeing as many reports as you do on the LG thread. Same panels so I'm not sure why this is the case unless Sony's process for equalizing the voltages across the screen is better.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #4901 of 8186 Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,260
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8300
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
Pricing has been announced for the 77". $20K pre order $18K from Robert sounds about right.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2871777

Incidentally, browsing through the Sony owners only thread and the LG b7/c7 owners thread, it seems the Sony thread has fewer reports of banding and vignetting? Not sure if that is because there are more LG owners, or they're more apt to check with slides, or Sony does a better job of hiding uniformity problems, or some combination of these and other factors.
Unless Sony is getting the 'pick of the panels', which I seriously doubt (that claim was made years ago with other panels and it proved false), I suspect it's nothing more than the far greater numbers on the LG side. I've heard of nothing in Sony's processing that would hide banding.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4902 of 8186 Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,769
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked: 5720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Unless Sony is getting the 'pick of the panels', which I seriously doubt (that claim was made years ago with other panels and it proved false), I suspect it's nothing more than the far greater numbers on the LG side. I've heard of nothing in Sony's processing that would hide banding.
I really don't think its greater numbers or the panels. I think it's Sony's algorithm to equalize the voltages across the screen is probably superior since this is the cause for screen uniformity issues. For the panels that I see, there is no question that the Sony's are always more uniform. This doesn't mean that the LG's are bad since most of the time whatever is there is usually not visible with most content.

The other thing is that a lot of people, open the box, run the set for 10 minutes then post what the screen looks like and ask for an opinion, like that's going to make a difference , not to mention that the camera makes everything look worse. I recommend always doing ONE clear screen when you get the set and then use it normally since you just don't know how it left the factory. Although this is simple and safe to do, everyone loves to keep debating and discussing this over and over and over again and as you know this has been a main topic for many years lol.

When I got my A1, I was almost in tears when I looked at the 5%. What I found out after looking at several sets in the same run at Value Electronics is that it appears that Sony must sample sets on the production line and run tests on them for a while because my set had a lot of image retention like test patterns were run. The other set's I looked at didn't have this. Once I did a clear panel, all the image retention went away and I was left with a very clear panel.

Another thing i'll mention and I have two model years of looking at LG's OLEDs to confirm this speculation, it appears that LG and probably Sony, must do some "extra" quality control for the first couple of shipments in every model year because, in my experience, the panels always look cleaner than the ones I see after production ramps up.
Not to say that there isn't a "bad" panel in any run but i'm guessing they are trying to make sure that the panels look the best they can given that they will be reviewed by professionals and the early adopters.

Finally, you will see over and over again people agonizing over which month the set was manufactured in like that's also going to make a difference . Last year, there was never any hard evidence that one production month was better or worse than any other month except for the first month as noted above.
Spizz, Egan, shyguy3763 and 4 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 06-16-2017 at 08:49 AM.
jrref is online now  
post #4903 of 8186 Old 06-16-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 33,260
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked: 8300
John, regarding the possibility of a Sony algorithm to minimize uniformity, perhaps, but it's certainly got a long long way to go towards being proved. It would have to be investigated over a longer period of time, with many more units. Either way, the important point you made, IMO, was this: "This doesn't mean that the LG's are bad since most of the time whatever is there is usually not visible with most content."

Either way, if one is in the market for a 77" OLED, you have to decide if the Sony is worth $3,000 or more. This is especially true, when it's been shown that the LG actually does some things better than the Sony and vice versa. Having seen both, I'd have a very hard time justifying the additional cost, especially when you're not conducting an A/B in your home and have only the one display to watch.

The one thing I can say with confidence, having seen it with my own eyes, the Sony does do a better job controlling false contouring. OTOH, I have very few issues with false contouring in general.
jrref likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #4904 of 8186 Old 06-16-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,227
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7024 Post(s)
Liked: 7049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Either way, if one is in the market for a 77" OLED
If this is the case, I noted it before, take a good long look at the XBR-75Z9D, is the OLED worth 100% + more cost to you?
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4905 of 8186 Old 06-16-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,769
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked: 5720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
John, regarding the possibility of a Sony algorithm to minimize uniformity, perhaps, but it's certainly got a long long way to go towards being proved. It would have to be investigated over a longer period of time, with many more units. Either way, the important point you made, IMO, was this: "This doesn't mean that the LG's are bad since most of the time whatever is there is usually not visible with most content."

Either way, if one is in the market for a 77" OLED, you have to decide if the Sony is worth $3,000 or more. This is especially true, when it's been shown that the LG actually does some things better than the Sony and vice versa. Having seen both, I'd have a very hard time justifying the additional cost, especially when you're not conducting an A/B in your home and have only the one display to watch.

The one thing I can say with confidence, having seen it with my own eyes, the Sony does do a better job controlling false contouring. OTOH, I have very few issues with false contouring in general.
So just to be clear, I don't think that LG would be sending Sony "special" panels so whatever it is, it can't be the panel itself. Both LG and Sony have a process using a specific formula or algorithm to adjust the voltages across the screen to get uniformity. All i'm saying is if it's not the panel then it has to be this process which differs from LG and Sony. It "appears" that Sony's process is working better than what LG is doing which doesn't really surprise me since Sony is "known" for it's picture processing technology. You will never see numbers from the manufacturers concerning screen uniformity but between the calibrators and the folks here on AVS, you can get a pretty good idea of what's going on and it "looks like", so far, the Sony's don't have vignetting and the banding seems to be better "overall". All this said, you still can't go wrong with either set. I also would think In your case, since the 77 inch is basically made in very small quantities that they would be scrutinized at the factory more than the 55 and 65 inch sets that are mass produced so the risk of getting a "bad" panel is probably greatly reduced.
Ken Ross and pakten like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #4906 of 8186 Old 06-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Creator44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I really don't think its greater numbers or the panels. I think it's Sony's algorithm to equalize the voltages across the screen is probably superior since this is the cause for screen uniformity issues. For the panels that I see, there is no question that the Sony's are always more uniform. This doesn't mean that the LG's are bad since most of the time whatever is there is usually not visible with most content.

The other thing is that a lot of people, open the box, run the set for 10 minutes then post what the screen looks like and ask for an opinion, like that's going to make a difference , not to mention that the camera makes everything look worse. I recommend always doing ONE clear screen when you get the set and then use it normally since you just don't know how it left the factory. Although this is simple and safe to do, everyone loves to keep debating and discussing this over and over and over again and as you know this has been a main topic for many years lol.

When I got my A1, I was almost in tears when I looked at the 5%. What I found out after looking at several sets in the same run at Value Electronics is that it appears that Sony must sample sets on the production line and run tests on them for a while because my set had a lot of image retention like test patterns were run. The other set's I looked at didn't have this. Once I did a clear panel, all the image retention went away and I was left with a very clear panel.

Another thing i'll mention and I have two model years of looking at LG's OLEDs to confirm this speculation, it appears that LG and probably Sony, must do some "extra" quality control for the first couple of shipments in every model year because, in my experience, the panels always look cleaner than the ones I see after production ramps up.
Not to say that there isn't a "bad" panel in any run but i'm guessing they are trying to make sure that the panels look the best they can given that they will be reviewed by professionals and the early adopters.

Finally, you will see over and over again people agonizing over which month the set was manufactured in like that's also going to make a difference . Last year, there was never any hard evidence that one production month was better or worse than any other month except for the first month as noted above.
This is interesting information to have thank you.

But do we really have enough 5% slides of the A1E to judge that? I know slides aren't everything but they are the best way to see what uniformity problems there are on the panel whether you're gonna see that or not in real content is hard to tell from pics but they give an idea.

I didn't see much slides of A1E at all here. I think you said at some point seeing no vignetting on both LG and A1E oled at VE. Well after only two tries I got a very bad vignetting one on LG. Just saying.
Creator44 is offline  
post #4907 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
This is your opinion which is subjective.

Oh and BTW, unless you are using the Coax cable IN port and/or the internal sound amp, you are using the display as a Monitor
Youre right, both LG and Sony will be great monitors, being fed from a source with everything turned off showing a raw input (e.g. Games console).

But you're missing my point, being that if you're comparing the LG and Sony with all options turned off you're not seeing the significantly better motion handling settings of the Sony. Dumb monitors don't tend to have exceptional processors...

The LG and Sony share the same panel, so this thread should not be this long as the TVs should be exactly the same but with a different badge stuck on it. Except it's not and they're not. It's like discussing the engine on a VW Golf vs and Audi A3, it's the same engine!, it's what's wrapped around it that counts imo.

Last edited by c__w; 06-17-2017 at 01:13 AM.
c__w is offline  
post #4908 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 05:13 AM
Senior Member
 
ataneruo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Everyone is saying that SDR blu-ray looks excellent on the A1E when upscaled via the Oppo, with similar results on the Sony BD player. Has anyone tried BD playback on the PS4 Pro? Does it provide similar results?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ataneruo is offline  
post #4909 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,507
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoparm View Post
My guess is that the banding is the same across panels as they are all produced by LG, the vignetting... from what I'm gathering it's possible that is due to the manufacturing of the whole TV, so it's possible the Sony is a bit better crafted?
Been thinking the same. Isn't the Sony a bit thicker than the LGs? I can't say it enough, I'd rather have a TV with a thicker case and a better image than a super thin cool looking display with issues.

Although D-Nice did mention moisture being an issue in the manufacturing which I also read in the latest Sound & Vision.

Monday can't come soon enough so I can figure out my next step.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is offline  
post #4910 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Member
 
Mrbonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Geek squad tv calibration worth it?
Mrbonus is offline  
post #4911 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 08:16 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mnc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
Geek squad tv calibration worth it?
No
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, DUAL PSA XS30SE's, ATV4K, 75X940E, UBPX700
mnc is offline  
post #4912 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
Geek squad tv calibration worth it?
Your dog could do a better job bob.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #4913 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Member
 
Mrbonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
Geek squad tv calibration worth it?
Your dog could do a better job bob.
I can get it done for 50 only reason why I was considering it.
Mrbonus is offline  
post #4914 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,227
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7024 Post(s)
Liked: 7049
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Been thinking the same. Isn't the Sony a bit thicker than the LGs? I can't say it enough, I'd rather have a TV with a thicker case and a better image than a super thin cool looking display with issues.
Every TV will have issues, I would give up a bit of PQ to get the 65W7P, no question That TV is so sweet......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4915 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Member
 
wasima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
4K Upsampling on A1E

Hello - thank you for the rich commentary on the A1E experience, I have had my A1E for a month now and also connected an Oppo UDP 203. Noticing that when I pipe my Spectrum cable box into the A1E or my older Denon AVR 4311, the picture that is displayed registers as 1080i or 1080p respectively. However if I pipe the Spectrum box into the Oppo's HDMI in port, I can get a picture that registers as 4K resolution and to my eye looks better.

Question: Is there a setting on the A1E that will do an upsample directly from the cable box or is that already happening? Just trying to understand the difference.

Planning on getting one of the upcoming 2017 Denon AVRs

Thanks!

Sony A1E, Sony HX929, Denon AVR 4311, Oppo UDP 203
wasima is offline  
post #4916 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Creator44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
Geek squad tv calibration worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Your dog could do a better job bob.
Are they really that bad? I mean they are ISF experts with the tools to calibrate properly?
Creator44 is offline  
post #4917 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
I can get it done for 50 only reason why I was considering it.
You can do it for free.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #4918 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Are they really that bad? I mean they are ISF experts with the tools to calibrate properly?
Better off using DNice or other top pros. They are not that good as you can ask on here.
mnc, Geronimo.USMC and sheshechic like this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #4919 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Creator44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Better off using DNice or other top pros. They are not that good as you can ask on here.
I know Chad and D-Nice are top pros but I'm asking if geek squad ISF guys are BAD BAD. You guys make them sound like they will make your tv worst than with no calibration. It sounds exaggerated to me?
Creator44 is offline  
post #4920 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 3,198
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
I know Chad and D-Nice are top pros but I'm asking if geek squad ISF guys are BAD BAD. You guys make them sound like they will make your tv worst than with no calibration. It sounds exaggerated to me?
They are not good. If you wanna use them then try it out.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
CHASLS2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off