Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14442Likes

post #4921 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
I know Chad and D-Nice are top pros but I'm asking if geek squad ISF guys are BAD BAD. You guys make them sound like they will make your tv worst than with no calibration. It sounds exaggerated to me?

Chad or D nice spend around 4 + hours on calibrating ,A best buy ISF about an 1 hour . That pretty much explain everything.

They not only use the tools and done ,they inspect all the behaviors of the display. Some displays especially Oled aren't easy to calibrate.You fix something according to the tool and mess other things that only the eyes can see.

They do their tricks while maintaining the display as accurate as possible.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Last edited by losservatore; 06-17-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I have never used geeksquad but, I think what @Creator44 is saying is that they cannot be 100% bad! I am sure I am going to hear about this.....
post #4923 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Quote:
Geek squad tv calibration worth it?
Your dog could do a better job bob.
I can get it done for 50 only reason why I was considering it.
And you will probably end up with a worse picture then what u had out of the box!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4924 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 162
@Creator44 I had my Kuro calibrated by D-Nice and let me tell you that it made a difference. You spends thousands on a tv you want calibrators that know what they are doing .I intend of using him again when I get my new Oled.
Spizz, mnc, Geronimo.USMC and 2 others like this.
post #4925 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextmoney View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Geek squad tv calibration worth it?
Your dog could do a better job bob.
I can get it done for 50 only reason why I was considering it.
And you will probably end up with a worse picture then what u had out of the box!!!
How do I find a professional near me is their a website?
post #4926 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
Quote:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...post-here.html
post #4927 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Most of the good ones are touring calibrators.Check the forum calibration thread.
post #4928 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Every TV will have issues, I would give up a bit of PQ to get the 65W7P, no question That TV is so sweet......
I will rephrase that to say obvious issues.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #4929 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Quote:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...post-here.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 View Post
Quote:
Most of the good ones are touring calibrators.Check the forum calibration thread.
Much appreciated!
post #4930 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Unless Sony is getting the 'pick of the panels', which I seriously doubt (that claim was made years ago with other panels and it proved false), I suspect it's nothing more than the far greater numbers on the LG side. I've heard of nothing in Sony's processing that would hide banding.
Banding exists on both LG and Sony OLEDs. There are more LG owners reporting it because LG sells more OLEDs... that should be common sense
Ken Ross, skip61 and KMFDMvsEnya like this.
post #4931 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
I know Chad and D-Nice are top pros but I'm asking if geek squad ISF guys are BAD BAD. You guys make them sound like they will make your tv worst than with no calibration. It sounds exaggerated to me?
This is a better sidebar for a more appropriate thread, but since it continues here, as someone who had never had a TV professionally calibrated until after all the discussion since this thread began:

I did have it done on my A1E by a certified professional with more than 15 years experience. I didn't know what to expect as no one ever talks about those little details -- but thought I'd done my due-diligence asking questions about other OLEDs they had calibrated, types of gear they used, etc. before agreeing to have the work done.

A nice-enough guy who was in the broadcasting biz before he started doing calibration work showed up with arm-loads of gear, but after initial setup, I was soon listening to more cursing "at Sony" than I preferred. As he eventually seemed overly-frustrated , I offered a modified set of ratings.com settings I had been using as something for him to start from with profiles, gamma, etc. I knew they worked, but were likely not as good as they could be. From there he used Calman, a DVDO and C6, but I was appalled at one point when he put up the color bars and pulled-out his cardboard-mounted blue tint glasses (perhaps to just impress me, or maybe he really was doing a double-check of what his gear had told him. I think not.). He never questioned settings I had with my AVR in the middle of my components and A1E (even though I had already set it all to passthru). There was no exploration of HDR or trying source material from any of my own sources in the nearly 3hrs he was here, until I put in my PE II UHD disc as he was packing-up so I could make sure everything was still working, and he commented on how good the picture looked.

My summary: Using my own settings as a basis that I'd gathered and tried from reviews and reading every post about the A1E here, the professional calibration I had done improved color settings and blacks that I had created (with my eyes & AVSHD disc) because he had the tools that I didn't have at the time. I received a single setting for use 7x24 in my lighting-challenged family room (not say one profile for day and night, or an additional calibrated game profile), and he went on his way. So, my take is just because someone is certified, does not mean much by itself -- especially if that person was certified years ago, well before today's tech came into being. If I were to ever buy a calibration service again, the price someone charges will be a partial indicator of what sort of end-service I may receive, and I'd ask a lot more questions what I was going to get. I'd also be wary of big box stores that send just "someone" from their team to do the calibration, without knowing who the individual was, their certification level, experience with my mfgr/type of TV and what I'd be left with at the end of the calibration session (e.g. one SDR profile?).
My POV:
  • Some may be happy with settings out-of-the box, but those are also likely not the sort of individuals that frequent AVSForum.
  • I think some people that don't want to spend the money and are not as critical could be happy with careful eyeball work on the basics using a good calibration disc such as AVSHD IF (and that's a big one) they took the time to know what they are trying to accomplish, then take the time to do it. That's what I initially did, and while I know it wasn't perfect to some decimal point like some here demand, it wasn't bad to my eyes and friends/family.
  • Professional calibration, if you can afford it, you can properly vet the individual as I discussed above with a few of my learnings, and you are not going to need to have the work done often could be a really great option.
  • Me? I have since purchased CalMAN Enthusiast, an i1Pro2 to calibrate my C6-HDR against, and splurged on a generator as well. I've started playing and learning more beyond what I can read here, traded notes with Joel, and am registered for a ISF II Certification course in the Fall. I don't plan to go into the professional calibration biz, but am sure I'll be able to do a better job than my first professional calibration experience left me with. (Let's not talk about how the calibration gear and future course cost more than a second A1E, and that I will never have the practical experience a great professional will have, but I should be able to make my TVs look better for some number of years than nearly most others that don't go the professional-route; take care of a few select family and friends TVs, and as a hobbiest/Enthusiast, learn a little something along the way.)
So, in your case, is it worth $50 to have the Squad "calibrate" your A1E? Perhaps, if nothing more than having another POV on what optimum settings may be. As long as you're sitting there while they do their work, they can't really do any permanent harm to your TV. You can always keep the settings if you like them, go back to something you prefer more, or have the calibration done by a tried-and-true professional at a later date.

Good luck with whatever calibration route you choose. Just enjoy that A1E!

Last edited by BertL; 06-17-2017 at 01:08 PM.
post #4932 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
John, regarding the possibility of a Sony algorithm to minimize uniformity, perhaps, but it's certainly got a long long way to go towards being proved. It would have to be investigated over a longer period of time, with many more units. Either way, the important point you made, IMO, was this: "This doesn't mean that the LG's are bad since most of the time whatever is there is usually not visible with most content."

Either way, if one is in the market for a 77" OLED, you have to decide if the Sony is worth $3,000 or more. This is especially true, when it's been shown that the LG actually does some things better than the Sony and vice versa. Having seen both, I'd have a very hard time justifying the additional cost, especially when you're not conducting an A/B in your home and have only the one display to watch.

The one thing I can say with confidence, having seen it with my own eyes, the Sony does do a better job controlling false contouring. OTOH, I have very few issues with false contouring in general.
There is nothing special about Sony's processsing and it does nothing when it comes to screen uniformity. I sent my first 55A1E back because the left side of the screen was redder than the rest. I've seen the same thing on other A1Es including those in the owners thread. The second 55A1E I got was bluer on the left side. My 65C7 is the same way. My 65A1E and 55C7 are damn near perfect in uniformity.
Ken Ross and Wizziwig like this.
post #4933 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Quote:
There are some documented cases where Geek Squad did makes things worse (although it was correctable). However, why risk spending the money on a Geek Squad "cal" in an attempt to save a little money? If you're going to do it, do it right. Just like you wanted a top notch TV - get a top notch cal. You don't buy a new Corvette and fuel it with 87 octane. I would recommend just using a calibration disc with the better out of box mode if not getting someone like Chad B.
post #4934 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c__w View Post
But you're missing my point, being that if you're comparing the LG and Sony with all options turned off you're not seeing the significantly better motion handling settings of the Sony. Dumb monitors don't tend to have exceptional processors...
No you're missing the point. I compare with and without processing. I'm also smart enough to use processing that does not harm the original source

Quote:
The LG and Sony share the same panel, so this thread should not be this long as the TVs should be exactly the same but with a different badge stuck on it. Except it's not and they're not. It's like discussing the engine on a VW Golf vs and Audi A3, it's the same engine!, it's what's wrapped around it that counts imo.
And IMO, the Sony isn't worth the 1-1.5K US dollar difference unless you care about BFI and/or want to eliminate banding 100% of the time and/or love the asthmatics. 1 and 3 are the reasons why I bought 2 A1Es.... plus the fact that the wall mounting holes are centered on the back of the TV instead of the lower 3rd.
post #4935 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Been thinking the same. Isn't the Sony a bit thicker than the LGs? I can't say it enough, I'd rather have a TV with a thicker case and a better image than a super thin cool looking display with issues.

Although D-Nice did mention moisture being an issue in the manufacturing which I also read in the latest Sound & Vision.

Monday can't come soon enough so I can figure out my next step.
IMO there is no debating when it comes to build quality. The Sony is far superior and is just plain solid when compared to the LG.
Geronimo.USMC and dr0z77 like this.
post #4936 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasima View Post
Hello - thank you for the rich commentary on the A1E experience, I have had my A1E for a month now and also connected an Oppo UDP 203. Noticing that when I pipe my Spectrum cable box into the A1E or my older Denon AVR 4311, the picture that is displayed registers as 1080i or 1080p respectively. However if I pipe the Spectrum box into the Oppo's HDMI in port, I can get a picture that registers as 4K resolution and to my eye looks better.
Based on the above, you have the OPPO doing the upscaling of your cable signal. Yes it is superior than the Sony;s upscaling. Hopefully you do not run into any of the bugs that are associated with the HDMI In on the OPPO.

Quote:
Question: Is there a setting on the A1E that will do an upsample directly from the cable box or is that already happening? Just trying to understand the difference.
If you run your cable direct to the A1E or set the OPPO to output source direct, the Sony will be doing the upscaling to 4K.
dr0z77 and wasima like this.
post #4937 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Are they really that bad? I mean they are ISF experts with the tools to calibrate properly?
You realize that it only requires 3 days, $1,800 and one test to become ISF certified, right? Just because you see that title does not mean you will get quality. Same goes for THX. Look for someone who knows your specific TV in and out.
post #4938 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Based on the above, you have the OPPO doing the upscaling of your cable signal. Yes it is superior than the Sony;s upscaling. Hopefully you do not run into any of the bugs that are associated with the HDMI In on the OPPO.

If you run your cable direct to the A1E or set the OPPO to output source direct, the Sony will be doing the upscaling to 4K.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony A1E, Sony HX929, Denon AVR 4311, Oppo UDP 203
post #4939 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 4726 Post(s)
Liked: 5717
Here's the thing with calibrators. Experience is everything and you have to get someone who is going to spend the proper amount of time with the right equipment and "knowledge" or your outcome won't be good. It takes at least an hour to get everything set and warmed up so i'm not sure how someone calibrates a set in one hour.

Also, I don't care how much formal training you get, although a good foundation is mandatory which is where these certifications come in, it's working with the sets that "educates" you on how to calibrate it in the best possible way which is where the experience comes in. Every set has their own little "quirks" and it's only from experience that you learn what and what not to do to optimize the PQ on each type of set. The good news is that as the years progress, it "seems" that the calibration controls on a lot of these higher end sets, while far from perfect, are getting better and there are less "tricks" that you need to use to get a great picture. You also have to remember that these are consumer sets so they are not going to be perfect.

At the very least, what's really important is a good calibrator will
1) Make sure their equipment is checked every year to make sure it's in specification.
2) They will profile the equipment they are using to your specific panel.
3) They will "interview" you as to the room environment and how you like to watch TV so that they can customize the calibration for you.
4) They will spend the time needed, which is usually a couple of hours depending on how many picture modes they calibrate.
5) They will check their work with real content in all modes and the apps and demonstrate the results to you.
6) They should provide the before and after of the calibration so you have a record of what was done, all of the settings for each picture mode, etc.. for your records.

I'm sure other's will chime in on additional steps but, it's my opinion that you need these at the very minimum. I hope this helps those asking the calibration questions.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 06-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #4940 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
This is a better sidebar for a more appropriate thread, but since it continues here, as someone who had never had a TV professionally calibrated until after all the discussion since this thread began:

I did have it done on my A1E by a certified professional with more than 15 years experience. I didn't know what to expect as no one ever talks about those little details -- but thought I'd done my due-diligence asking questions about other OLEDs they had calibrated, types of gear they used, etc. before agreeing to have the work done.

A nice-enough guy who was in the broadcasting biz before he started doing calibration work showed up with arm-loads of gear, but after initial setup, I was soon listening to more cursing "at Sony" than I preferred. As he eventually seemed overly-frustrated , I offered a modified set of ratings.com settings I had been using as something for him to start from with profiles, gamma, etc. I knew they worked, but were likely not as good as they could be. From there he used Calman, a DVDO and C6, but I was appalled at one point when he put up the color bars and pulled-out his cardboard-mounted blue tint glasses (perhaps to just impress me, or maybe he really was doing a double-check of what his gear had told him. I think not.). He never questioned settings I had with my AVR in the middle of my components and A1E (even though I had already set it all to passthru). There was no exploration of HDR or trying source material from any of my own sources in the nearly 3hrs he was here, until I put in my PE II UHD disc as he was packing-up so I could make sure everything was still working, and he commented on how good the picture looked.

My summary: Using my own settings as a basis that I'd gathered and tried from reviews and reading every post about the A1E here, the professional calibration I had done improved color settings and blacks that I had created (with my eyes & AVSHD disc) because he had the tools that I didn't have at the time. I received a single setting for use 7x24 in my lighting-challenged family room (not say one profile for day and night, or an additional calibrated game profile), and he went on his way. So, my take is just because someone is certified, does not mean much by itself -- especially if that person was certified years ago, well before today's tech came into being. If I were to ever buy a calibration service again, the price someone charges will be a partial indicator of what sort of end-service I may receive, and I'd ask a lot more questions what I was going to get. I'd also be wary of big box stores that send just "someone" from their team to do the calibration, without knowing who the individual was, their certification level, experience with my mfgr/type of TV and what I'd be left with at the end of the calibration session (e.g. one SDR profile?).
My POV:
  • Some may be happy with settings out-of-the box, but those are also likely not the sort of individuals that frequent AVSForum.
  • I think some people that don't want to spend the money and are not as critical could be happy with careful eyeball work on the basics using a good calibration disc such as AVSHD IF (and that's a big one) they took the time to know what they are trying to accomplish, then take the time to do it. That's what I initially did, and while I know it wasn't perfect to some decimal point like some here demand, it wasn't bad to my eyes and friends/family.
  • Professional calibration, if you can afford it, you can properly vet the individual as I discussed above with a few of my learnings, and you are not going to need to have the work done often could be a really great option.
  • Me? I have since purchased CalMAN Enthusiast, an i1Pro2 to calibrate my C6-HDR against, and splurged on a generator as well. I've started playing and learning more beyond what I can read here, traded notes with Joel, and am registered for a ISF II Certification course in the Fall. I don't plan to go into the professional calibration biz, but am sure I'll be able to do a better job than my first professional calibration experience left me with. (Let's not talk about how the calibration gear and future course cost more than a second A1E, and that I will never have the practical experience a great professional will have, but I should be able to make my TVs look better for some number of years than nearly most others that don't go the professional-route; take care of a few select family and friends TVs, and as a hobbiest/Enthusiast, learn a little something along the way.)
So, in your case, is it worth $50 to have the Squad "calibrate" your A1E? Perhaps, if nothing more than having another POV on what optimum settings may be. As long as you're sitting there while they do their work, they can't really do any permanent harm to your TV. You can always keep the settings if you like them, go back to something you prefer more, or have the calibration done by a tried-and-true professional at a later date.

Good luck with whatever calibration route you choose. Just enjoy that A1E!
Bert, this was a very interesting read. Unfortunately, I've heard stories like this before and it was very clear from you experience that your calibrator either never or worked on very few Sony's or he would have known what to do.

I can tell you, if you have the time, interest, and willingness to invest in the equipment to calibrate your set yourself, after a while you will get very good at it and be very satisfied with the results. Just keep an open mind, learn from the community of calibrators and DIY's on the forums, many will answer or give you some guidance on questions you have, and you will become an expert over time. While there is a lot to know and a lot of experience to get, this is not rocket science for those with a good technical understanding of video technology in the consumer space. You will really enjoy the ISF class in the Fall because it will give your a great foundation and understanding of the subject matter and i'll probably see you there.
ataneruo likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
post #4941 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is nothing special about Sony's processsing and it does nothing when it comes to screen uniformity. I sent my first 55A1E back because the left side of the screen was redder than the rest. I've seen the same thing on other A1Es including those in the owners thread. The second 55A1E I got was bluer on the left side. My 65C7 is the same way. My 65A1E and 55C7 are damn near perfect in uniformity.
If there is nothing special about Sony's processing, how do you account for the fact that there have been "almost no" A1's with vignetting where you can see user's posting LG's with some vignetting almost every day in that forum? Something has to account for it and I seriously doubt that LG Display is providing Sony with "special" panels.
Spizz, 10k and Al Leong like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
post #4942 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Here's the thing with calibrators. Experience is everything and you have to get someone who is going to spend the proper amount of time with the right equipment and "knowledge" or your outcome won't be good. It takes at least an hour to get everything set and warmed up so i'm not sure how someone calibrates a set in one hour.

Also, I don't care how much formal training you get, although a good foundation is mandatory which is where these certifications come in, it's working with the sets that "educates" you on how to calibrate it in the best possible way which is where the experience comes in. Every set has their own little "quirks" and it's only from experience that you learn what and what not to do to optimize the PQ on each type of set. The good news is that as the years progress, it "seems" that the calibration controls on a lot of these higher end sets, while far from perfect, are getting better and there are less "tricks" that you need to use to get a great picture. You also have to remember that these are consumer sets so they are not going to be perfect.

At the very least, what's really important is a good calibrator will
1) Make sure their equipment is checked every year to make sure it's in specification.
2) They will profile the equipment they are using to your specific panel.
3) They will "interview" you as to the room environment and how you like to watch TV so that they can customize the calibration for you.
4) They will spend the time needed, which is usually a couple of hours depending on how many picture modes they calibrate.
5) They will check their work with real content in all modes and the apps and demonstrate the results to you.
6) They should provide the before and after of the calibration so you have a record of what was done, all of the settings for each picture mode, etc.. for your records.

I'm sure other's will chime in on additional steps but, it's my opinion that you need these at the very minimum. I hope this helps those asking the calibration questions.
I agree with everything you posted except item 2. That is not needed.... I'm not going to sidebar this thread detailing why but if you want to discuss, you are more than welcome to PM, email or call.
post #4943 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
If there is nothing special about Sony's processing, how do you account for the fact that there have been "almost no" A1's with vignetting where you can see user's posting LG's with some vignetting almost every day in that forum? Something has to account for it and I seriously doubt that LG Display is providing Sony with "special" panels.
Explain how my 55C7 doesn't have Vignetting. I know a bit more about the manufacturing of LGs OLEDs than you... including some refinements that have been made since January

Just because something "has to account for it" doesn't mean your theory is correct. You of all people should know that more samples can create more observations..... there are far more LG owners than Sony owners on this forum.
losservatore likes this.
post #4944 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Explain how my 55C7 doesn't have Vignetting. I know a bit more about the manufacturing of LGs OLEDs than you... including some refinements that have been made since January

Just because something "has to account for it" doesn't mean your theory is correct. You of all people should know that more samples can create more observations..... there are far more LG owners than Sony owners on this forum.
I didn't say that my "theory" was "the" answer but only a possibility. If you take the number of A1s that I've seen plus other cailibrator pros that I've spoken to and the user's in the forum, while not a "large" sample, it is enough of a sample that you would think that we would have seen at least one with A1 with vignetting which is why this is so interesting. I know that one user early on said he had some minor Vignetting on his A1 but no reports since then. Banding yes but not vignettting. If you have the inside track, then if you can, please share this information so we can all learn from it.
Spizz, ataneruo, pakten and 2 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
post #4945 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Bert, this was a very interesting read... You will really enjoy the ISF class in the Fall because it will give your a great foundation and understanding of the subject matter and i'll probably see you there.
. Yes, that would be great to meet you one day -- It doesn't happen that often with folks we converse with on forums like this. San Diego is great in the Fall, but then I'd tell you that most times of the year since it is where I live.
post #4946 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that my "theory" was "the" answer but only a possibility. If you take the number of A1s that I've seen plus other cailibrator pros that I've spoken to and the user's in the forum, while not a "large" sample, it is enough of a sample that you would think that we would have seen at least one with A1 with vignetting which is why this is so interesting. I know that one user early on said he had some minor Vignetting on his A1 but no reports since then. Banding yes but not vignettting. If you have the inside track, then if you can, please share this information so we can all learn from it.
The 55A1E I sent back had Vignetting. I have yet to look for it on my new one. Ditto for my 65. I try not to report that particular item because I.... well know better
post #4947 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
These sets are not ready for prime for my taste for the money spent. I am waiting it out for a while. Long as my 60vt60 works i am fine. I am sure after you come and touch it up again it will be even better this July or whenever you get down here.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs

Last edited by CHASLS2; 06-17-2017 at 05:02 PM.
post #4948 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
These sets are not ready for prime for my taste for the money spent. I am waiting it out for a while. Long as my 60vt60 works i am fine.
Ok.. you're just sticking the same erroneous point.. I need to know what your VT60 is doing that you believe the A1 doesn't completely dominate?
post #4949 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
Ok.. you're just sticking the same erroneous point.. I need to know what your VT60 is doing that you believe the A1 doesn't completely dominate?
What does the A1E "completely dominate" over the VT60 with SDR content? Black Level... sure. What else? Keep this in the realm of PQ and not attempt to inject things like heat or power consumption into the mix.
post #4950 of 8186 Old 06-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
What does the A1E "completely dominate" over the VT60 with SDR content? Black Level... sure. What else? Keep this in the realm of PQ and not attempt to inject things like heat or power consumption into the mix.
D, love you dude.. totally respect your word.. don't always agree, but I give respect to your work in the field and would never directly challenge your word based on your experience on that respect...

But a little about me.. I invented UltraViolet.. you know, that video sharing rights service? I also licensed the tech to Amazon for Amazon Prime Video.. among many other products under my belt.. content consumption is my life.. and I am a professional product developer... and before my career as a product dev.. I have extensive video editing experience... Avid, Final Cut, disc authoring.. Deluxe, Technicolor mastering.. the whole thing I know extremely well.

Having said that..

The A1E is the best TV I've ever seen. I read the calibrator views and reviews.. and again, I don't contradict this because there's a technological backbone to this preference of TV adjustment, and that's colorimeter measures.

In my line of work, the A1 delivery of SDR content is simply called "backwards compatibility". Here is the fact: SDR delivers up to 16.78 million colors (256 red x 256 green x 256 blue). 99% of people eyes are not capable of deciphering the difference between pure "red" (Hex FF0000) and "red" with a hex point hint of blue (Hex FF0001).

For the Sony A1E OLED TV, with over 8 million zones of image instruction, to handle SDR content for the X1E chip is elementary. No one in the 99% of consumer viewing will see or care however the VT60 reads on a meter as to what the A1E does..

But of course, the A1E, in the evolution of image technology, can object process the SDR image to look like a comparable 2017 level image over the 1990 imaging when Rec 709 was born for HDTV specs.

This is all mundane. So for a guy to make a statement, in this 2017 thread that the VT60 can do something in SDR that the A1E can't, is moot.

I won't take this response past rec 709 content, but to this date, the A1E is the best display I've seen that does rec 709 image delivery, meaning to the level of when I look at a rec 709 presentation, I don't feel like I wasted my money on a 2017 TV to see what I could see on a VT60, but giving the rec 709 content new life by utilizing the dynamic object processing the X1E chip does.

If the goal is to deliver rec 709 content to 1990 standards.. on the foundation, yes, the A1E is better than the VT60 or any plasma TV due to the benefit of real 0% black level capability.. something that plasma never hit.
dr0z77, Dhalmo, ataneruo and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Al Leong; 06-17-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page