Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14442Likes

post #5551 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
No vignetting. I'd take that and be happy.
Could you clarify? Like Alexander823 says, I find the banding incredibly distracting/annoying. Hard as I try, I've never seen any evidence of vignetting when watching content - so why should I care if I see it on a gray screen? Thanks.

Denon AVR-X7200WA | Oppo UDP-203, BDP-93
Paradigm Studio 60 Mains, CC-570 Center, (2) ADP-470 Surrounds | (4) Golden Ear Invisa HTR-7000 height | (2) SVS SB16-Ultra
Sony XBR-65A1E | Pioneer PRO-141FD | Panasonic TC-P42ST30
Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTracey View Post
Could you clarify? Like Alexander823 says, I find the banding incredibly distracting/annoying. Hard as I try, I've never seen any evidence of vignetting when watching content - so why should I care if I see it on a gray screen? Thanks.
The C7 that I own and the new panel that was replaced on that C7 both have/had vignetting. The second one is slightly better but I still see it in content. Being a horror movie fan it creeps up (get it?) more often than not. There should be a pic in this thread of a scene from the movie Christine with it easily visible.

Yeah I'm not happy about banding either but for me it's not as bad as the vignetting so I can live it.**

**That is of course it's not over the top bad.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #5553 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The C7 that I own and the new panel that was replaced on that C7 both have/had vignetting. The second one is slightly better but I still see it in content. Being a horror movie fan it creeps up (get it?) more often than not. There should be a pic in this thread of a scene from the movie Christine with it easily visible.

Yeah I'm not happy about banding either but for me it's not as bad as the vignetting so I can live it.**

**That is of course it's not over the top bad.
Thanks; maybe I'll need to post pics of both sets and solicit opinions...

Paradigm Studio 60 Mains, CC-570 Center, (2) ADP-470 Surrounds | (4) Golden Ear Invisa HTR-7000 height | (2) SVS SB16-Ultra
Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5554 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
In my experience, vignetting is most prominent when you get a relatively solid color background that is just above black. Scenes that depict a colored object that is right at the edge of the screen will often interrupt the vignetting and lessen its impact to the eye (or make it appear as though it's not there at all.)

There are times, too, when the side of a dimly lit room in a shot is simply darker than the rest of the screen and may appear as vignetting when it really isn't. The way I've tested this, once I've seen that my set suffers from the problem, is to briefly change the aspect ratio to 4:3. That will reveal whether or not it's the source material, or the defect. Once you see the vignette a few times, though, you can usually pretty easily pick out which is which.

HBO's The Night Of has a lot of scenes that will bring the vignetting out if it's there. Recently, I watched the film Table 19 on Blu-Ray. There's a 5-10 minute segment toward the end of the film that takes place outside in the dark, and the sky is a murky gray/near black. That showed off the vignette on my last set very badly.

If you've watched a variety of content and you haven't seen it yet, that's good news.
post #5555 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
I hope it is not a cable issue...I just replaced all my HDMI cables with Monoprice Ultra-Slim Active 18Gbps cables.

I went ahead and ordered two new cables...got to wait until Monday to see if that fixes it.

Is re-establishing the handshake just turning things off and re-connecting?
You can't use more than one of those Monoprice Ultra-Slim Active 18Gbps HDMI cables in a chain. So you can't hook up all of your devices to your AVR with the Active HDMI cables and then an Active HDMI cable from your AVR to the TV. If you switch out the HDMI cable that goes from AVR to TV with a non-active HDMI cable, everything should be good. Monoprice's item description explains this, but most people don't read it (like me).
markrubin likes this.
post #5556 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeClair12 View Post
In my experience, vignetting is most prominent when you get a relatively solid color background that is just above black. Scenes that depict a colored object that is right at the edge of the screen will often interrupt the vignetting and lessen its impact to the eye (or make it appear as though it's not there at all.)

There are times, too, when the side of a dimly lit room in a shot is simply darker than the rest of the screen and may appear as vignetting when it really isn't. The way I've tested this, once I've seen that my set suffers from the problem, is to briefly change the aspect ratio to 4:3. That will reveal whether or not it's the source material, or the defect. Once you see the vignette a few times, though, you can usually pretty easily pick out which is which.

HBO's The Night Of has a lot of scenes that will bring the vignetting out if it's there. Recently, I watched the film Table 19 on Blu-Ray. There's a 5-10 minute segment toward the end of the film that takes place outside in the dark, and the sky is a murky gray/near black. That showed off the vignette on my last set very badly.

If you've watched a variety of content and you haven't seen it yet, that's good news.
Thanks - I think . Now I ask myself do I check out your examples and possibly forever see vignetting, or continue to live in ignorant bliss...

Apple TV 4K
post #5557 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks - I think . Now I ask myself do I check out your examples and possibly forever see vignetting, or continue to live in ignorant bliss...
Some will disagree with me, but I'd rather know sooner rather than later. Like I said, you can go ahead and just watch a lot of varied content to try to find it...or not. If you don't see it then enjoy and forget the slides...that is until a title with a similar gray background pops up.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #5558 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Some will disagree with me, but I'd rather know sooner rather than later. Like I said, you can go ahead and just watch a lot of varied content to try to find it...or not. If you don't see it then enjoy and forget the slides...that is until a title with a similar gray background pops up.
Now you've thrown down the gauntlet...

Apple TV 4K
post #5559 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now you've thrown down the gauntlet...
LOL! Sorry I couldn't help myself.

post #5560 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
I agree with watching the hell out of it during your return period. Once you see something (say something!) across more than one source, verify with a slide or 3.
VidPro and BLeClair12 like this.
post #5561 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you recommend a couple episodes/scenes in The Night Of where you see vignetting, just so I don't have to sit through numerous episodes? Thanks.

Apple TV 4K
post #5562 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk)

Anyone use an external sub with the A1E? I'd like to add a little bass without going the sound bar route.

I've tried the Martin Logan 700w but it booms way too much even with the gain turned up a notch!

Any feedback? I'm using the sub out on the headphone jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5563 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Can you recommend a couple episodes/scenes in The Night Of where you see vignetting, just so I don't have to sit through numerous episodes? Thanks.
I don't recall specific instances, unfortunately. It's been quite a while since I watched the series. I know for certain there's a bit of it during the title sequence, though. The whole show is quite dark, with lots of near-black backdrops, so there's a lot of instances where the issue will show up if it's there.

There's a specific scene in 13 Reasons Why on Netflix as well, in the character Clay's bedroom. I actually just scrubbed through the last 5-6 episodes to try to get you a timestamp, but I couldn't find it (I remember it being later in the series, and I even have an image from my own set of the scene.) I wish I could be of more help in that regard.

I'm sure there's someone who can chime in with some specific instances. Have you looked at slides and seen it all?
post #5564 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't recall specific instances, unfortunately. It's been quite a while since I watched the series. I know for certain there's a bit of it during the title sequence, though. The whole show is quite dark, with lots of near-black backdrops, so there's a lot of instances where the issue will show up if it's there.

There's a specific scene in 13 Reasons Why on Netflix as well, in the character Clay's bedroom. I actually just scrubbed through the last 5-6 episodes to try to get you a timestamp, but I couldn't find it (I remember it being later in the series, and I even have an image from my own set of the scene.) I wish I could be of more help in that regard.

I'm sure there's someone who can chime in with some specific instances. Have you looked at slides and seen it all?
Thanks BLeClair, didn't mean to cause you a lot of effort. Will try looking at some scenes in The Night Off. Trying to talk the wife into watching Table 19

I have looked at slides; can see vignetting only on the right side of the screen at 5%, but like I mentioned earlier, nothing in real content (yet). I should probably post some pics, maybe tomorrow.

Apple TV 4K
post #5565 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks BLeClair, didn't mean to cause you a lot of effort. Will try looking at some scenes in The Night Off. Trying to talk the wife into watching Table 19

I have looked at slides; can see vignetting only on the right side of the screen at 5%, but like I mentioned earlier, nothing in real content (yet). I should probably post some pics, maybe tomorrow.

No worries! The right side is where it always seems to be. I haven't seen vignetting on the left since the EF9500 (though I have seen a couple unlucky folks who have had it on the 2016 models.) If it shows up at 5% in slides, it's likely to eventually show up content. But, hey, if it doesn't, or you don't notice it, all the better.

I know everyone has differences in opinion on whether to seek out this stuff. I completely understand both sides. I tend to fall a little more on the line of wanting to know if there's anything that's going to bother me long term, given the price tag on these sets.
post #5566 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Top 3 4K movies to show off picture quality on a1e?
dancolt likes this.
post #5567 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbonus View Post
Top 3 4K movies to show off picture quality on a1e?
Do some searches earlier in this thread, as there are a number of recommendations and specific scenes some suggest as showing off one thing or another.

My personal G-rated #1 favorite that will show off just about anything you want with 4K and HDR is Planet Earth II. If you're into more action and not necessarially something for the younger ones, Mad Max Fury Road has a lot going for it.
post #5568 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Life of Pi is my pick for showcasing HDR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #5569 of 8188 Old 07-12-2017, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 319
How is gaming on the A1E? I am going between the ZD9, LGC7 and the A1E. Input lag being a little higher on the A1E is not a issue since I am not a competitive gamer, but I am mostly looking how good games look and in particular HDR gaming. Primary use will be 90% gaming (PC, PRO, Xbox One S and Xbox One X (when it comes out).

Thanks in advance for any input.

-Hawkmoon
post #5570 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
How is gaming on the A1E? I am going between the ZD9, LGC7 and the A1E. Input lag being a little higher on the A1E is not a issue since I am not a competitive gamer, but I am mostly looking how good games look and in particular HDR gaming. Primary use will be 90% gaming (PC, PRO, Xbox One S and Xbox One X (when it comes out).

Thanks in advance for any input.
I have checked out a few games (Persona 5, Last of Us Rematered, Uncharted 4, and FFXV) on PS4 Pro since replacing my EF9500 with the A1E. The visual quality ESPECIALLY in HDR has seen a significant upgrade and I love it.

Sony 65" A1E
post #5571 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

OK, here are some pics from the 2 A1Es I'm evaluating. I've also looked at a third, but it had thick jail bars everywhere and I returned it immediately. I'm not particularly crazy about continuing to play the panel lottery (unless the consensus is both these panels are terrible), so I'm inclined to keep the second set (the one that shows some vignetting on the right). As BLeClair suggested, I looked at The Night Of and Table 19 last night; I saw nothing on Table 19, and while I did see some vignetting in the opening credits of The Night Of, I really had to strain to look for it; probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	set1_5_small.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2233609   Click image for larger version

Name:	set1_10_small.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	2233617   Click image for larger version

Name:	set1_15_small.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2233625   Click image for larger version

Name:	set2_5_small.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2233633   Click image for larger version

Name:	set2_10_small.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	2233641  

Click image for larger version

Name:	set2_15_small.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	2233649  

Apple TV 4K
post #5572 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
OK, here are some pics from the 2 A1Es I'm evaluating. I've also looked at a third, but it had thick jail bars everywhere and I returned it immediately. I'm not particularly crazy about continuing to play the panel lottery (unless the consensus is both these panels are terrible), so I'm inclined to keep the second set (the one that shows some vignetting on the right). As BLeClair suggested, I looked at The Night Of and Table 19 last night; I saw nothing on Table 19, and while I did see some vignetting in the opening credits of The Night Of, I really had to strain to look for it; probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.
the second one doesn't look too bad at all IMO, the one that does NOT have that dark black streak to the right of the center.

do you have any idea what the build date on that is?
post #5573 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tough choice there. The first with that ridiculously large band right to center is troubling, but the lack of vignetting would have me seriously thinking about keeping it. The second unit with the vignetting looks pretty good to. If you really need to strain to see the vignetting that might be the best choice. But the other one is not bad too so... Good luck!

post #5574 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Tough choice there. The first with that ridiculously large band right to center is troubling, but the lack of vignetting would have me seriously thinking about keeping it. The second unit with the vignetting looks pretty good to. If you really need to strain to see the vignetting that might be the best choice. But the other one is not bad too so... Good luck!
yea

if i were him i would run 1,2,3,4% slides and see how vignetting looks there as well. if it's minimal there too then just keep it.
post #5575 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2988 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
What about the Red tint ? Is that a camera artifact?
post #5576 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys. Build date on both is March 2017. I looked at 1,2,3,4% slides; the right side of the screen is maybe marginally darker but nothing is extending farther towards the centre of the screen.

Apple TV 4K
post #5577 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
What about the Red tint ? Is that a camera artifact?
Not sure what red tint you're referring to (I don't see it) - these are just unadulterated iPhone snaps, so I wouldn't make much of it anyways.

Apple TV 4K
post #5578 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Not sure what red tint you're referring to (I don't see it) - these are just unadulterated iPhone snaps, so I wouldn't make much of it anyways.
It is really hard to know based on iphone photos, but I would think the sharp dark/light transition right in the center of the second panel would show up in a lot of content. It depends on how much the contrast is between the dark part and the light part in real life, but it reminds me of one of the flaws in my first panel that I could see in all kinds of content, including sports played on grass.

Sony XBR65A1E
post #5579 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodog View Post
It is really hard to know based on iphone photos, but I would think the sharp dark/light transition right in the center of the second panel would show up in a lot of content. It depends on how much the contrast is between the dark part and the light part in real life, but it reminds me of one of the flaws in my first panel that I could see in all kinds of content, including sports played on grass.
Thanks for the comment; haven't seen that myself viewing actual content.

Apple TV 4K
post #5580 of 8188 Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7150 Post(s)
Liked: 7194
Quote:
Trying to be positive, but I agree overall. Banding and vignetting should not be so bad that it gets in the way of enjoying our VERY expensive sets.
I agree with what you say but a person could by a Mclaren P1 and still have complaints.
mikey94025 and dancolt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page