Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 255 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14432Likes

post #7621 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dear AVSforum experts,

I just bought my first OLED TV ever, the 55" Sony A1 (I think without the letter e? exact model I was sold says kd-55A1BAEP), and was horrified by the artifacts I was seeing on the screen and even in the introduction menus. I have attached pictures, which show the white, clearly defined area on the left edge of the screen, also continuing from the lower left corner to the bottom edge of the screen. In fact it's so visible, I first thought it is just some effect in Sony's menu that is supposed to be there. However after viewing some uniformity test grey screens I was sure it was a faulty screen.

Well, I got the TV replaced and what do you know... second unit has almost exactly the same kind of artifact visible, with the exception that it is more confined into the left edge of the screen without continuing on the bottom edge. Pics of the second screen also attached.

Can you please give your opinions, is this "normal" for OLED screens, similar as there exists light bleeding on back lit LCD's, or have I really gotten two faulty units with the same failure mode? In either case, I am baffled that a 2k€ TV can have such issues in the image quality, be it "normal" or manufacturing fault (maybe damage from transportation is also probable?). Has something like this been experienced with Sony before?

I have to say that all of the attached pictures have been taken with less than 1 hour of usage on the screen. However I would be very surprised, if this dramatic issue would vanish on it's own by putting more hours into watching the screen...

I would really appreciate all comments on this as an OLED noob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia1_intro.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	2360628   Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia1_youtube.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	2360630   Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia1_grey.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	2360632   Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia2_intro.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	2360634   Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia2_20grey.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	2360636  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia2_screensaver.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	2360638   Click image for larger version

Name:	bravia2_bluetooth.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	2360640  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7622 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemuli View Post
Dear AVSforum experts,

I just bought my first OLED TV ever, the 55" Sony A1 (I think without the letter e? exact model I was sold says kd-55A1BAEP), and was horrified by the artifacts I was seeing on the screen and even in the introduction menus. I have attached pictures, which show the white, clearly defined area on the left edge of the screen, also continuing from the lower left corner to the bottom edge of the screen. In fact it's so visible, I first thought it is just some effect in Sony's menu that is supposed to be there. However after viewing some uniformity test grey screens I was sure it was a faulty screen.

Well, I got the TV replaced and what do you know... second unit has almost exactly the same kind of artifact visible, with the exception that it is more confined into the left edge of the screen without continuing on the bottom edge. Pics of the second screen also attached.

Can you please give your opinions, is this "normal" for OLED screens, similar as there exists light bleeding on back lit LCD's, or have I really gotten two faulty units with the same failure mode? In either case, I am baffled that a 2k€ TV can have such issues in the image quality, be it "normal" or manufacturing fault (maybe damage from transportation is also probable?). Has something like this been experienced with Sony before?

I have to say that all of the attached pictures have been taken with less than 1 hour of usage on the screen. However I would be very surprised, if this dramatic issue would vanish on it's own by putting more hours into watching the screen...

You need to add some hours on the screen. Use it for a few hours and then let it sit off for a few hours so it will run an auto cycle. After several runs give it another look. It will probably change for the better quite a bit. Then you can make a decision if it warrants a return.

Good luck!

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #7623 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 5488
Run a clear screen and see what happens. Give it at least 1 1/2 hr to complete

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7624 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am hesitant about running the screen refresh feature since the owners manual specifically advises not to use it, at least not more than once a year, since it can affect the display lifetime. I read that the refresh is what is usually suggested, but I'm still thinking of first contacting the retailer/Sony to confirm that I am not doing anything to my warranty, or the right to replace the monitor or cancel the purchase entirely.

After finishing the first movie with this screen, I am feeling very disappointed. The light area is pretty much visible in all scenes except the most brightest outdoor ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro
Good luck!
Thanks, I feel that luck will be needed with this one
post #7625 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

I am hesitant about running the screen refresh feature since the owners manual specifically advises not to use it, at least not more than once a year, since it can affect the display lifetime. I read that the refresh is what is usually suggested, but I'm still thinking of first contacting the retailer/Sony to confirm that I am not doing anything to my warranty, or the right to replace the monitor or cancel the purchase entirely.

After finishing the first movie with this screen, I am feeling very disappointed. The light area is pretty much visible in all scenes except the most brightest outdoor ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro
Good luck!
Thanks, I feel that luck will be needed with this one [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Run a screen refresh ... mine looked worse than that when I first got my replacement

Then post pictures

1) 7.2.4 Atmos; Marantz 8802a; Parasound A51; Parasound 1250; Oppo BDP203; AppleTV4K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Prestige 95F; ML Descent-i; Prestige 2000sw; 4x SA-ADP paradigm in walls surrounds; 4x paradigm ceilings, angled; Furman; XBR-77A1E; xfinity x1; 2) 5.1; Marantz 7702; Emotiva XPA-5; Monster Power Center; Oppo-BDP93; Apple 2K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Studio 100 v.5, CC-690, SA-ADP in-walls; Paradigm Sub 15; Panasonic ZT60 65"; Xfinity X1
post #7626 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Dear AVSforum experts,

I

I understand people saying to give it time and to run a cycle but to be honest that looks like a panel issue thats just may get a little better but never go away. I've sold and installed enough of these to be confident in what I'm saying. I wouldn't waste time and swap it out if you can. It's just thats it's the best set on the market in my opinion and that is def a production issue.

Sony XBR65A1E | Sony XBR75X940D | Fujitsu AVIAMO P65FT00AUB
post #7627 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 PM
aaz

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Don't know where you live, but considering how both sets had a similar issue on the site could this be a problem from shipping or installation? I've never seen anything like this from any A1E. Two sets with the exact same issue that doesn't appear elsewhere doesn't look like a manufacturing issue unless they had a particularly bad batch. Could the TV have been left exposed to high heat or cold on one side? Could it have been laid flat? Exposed to something?

In any case I would definitely ask for a replacement with one that doesn't have that issue or for your money back.

Family Room: Sony XBR-65A1E | Yamaha YSP 5600 | Sunfire HRS10 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4K | Sony BDP-S6200 | (soon) XBox One X | Harmony Ultimate one
Living Room: Panasonic 65VT30 | Yamaha YSP 4300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 4 | PS3 | Harmony | Harmony one
Bedroom: LG 43UJ6300 | Shaw Gateway HD-PVR | AppleTV 3 | Harmony one
post #7628 of 8148 Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSV View Post
Quote:
Dear AVSforum experts,

Can you please give your opinions, is this "normal" for OLED screens, similar as there exists light bleeding on back lit LCD's, or have I really gotten two faulty units with the same failure mode? In either case, I am baffled that a 2k? TV can have such issues in the image quality, be it "normal" or manufacturing fault (maybe damage from transportation is also probable?). Has something like this been experienced with Sony before?

I

I understand people saying to give it time and to run a cycle but to be honest that looks like a panel issue thats just may get a little better but never go away. I've sold and installed enough of these to be confident in what I'm saying. I wouldn't waste time and swap it out if you can. It's just thats it's the best set on the market in my opinion and that is def a production issue.
If he's gunna ask for replacement anyway why not just run the comp cycle and see what happens. Certainly don't run the cycle if a tech needs to come out and eval the abnormality

1) 7.2.4 Atmos; Marantz 8802a; Parasound A51; Parasound 1250; Oppo BDP203; AppleTV4K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Prestige 95F; ML Descent-i; Prestige 2000sw; 4x SA-ADP paradigm in walls surrounds; 4x paradigm ceilings, angled; Furman; XBR-77A1E; xfinity x1; 2) 5.1; Marantz 7702; Emotiva XPA-5; Monster Power Center; Oppo-BDP93; Apple 2K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Studio 100 v.5, CC-690, SA-ADP in-walls; Paradigm Sub 15; Panasonic ZT60 65"; Xfinity X1
post #7629 of 8148 Old 02-14-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6675
post #7630 of 8148 Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 AM

So, I contacted the local (Finland) Sony support today before doing anything else (thanks for the help and suggestions though!). They reacted very swiftly and took my issue seriously right from the beginning. Even though my opinion is that it is probably not their fault, they were still very sorry for the inconvenience. I got a really positive feeling about Sony customer support and I hope it's similar in other countries as well.

They asked me to send some pictures via email, and within few hours they confirmed that definitely both of the panels are defective and the quality is not acceptable. So, I will get my dealer to give me a third unit, this time checked and calibrated before delivery. Hopefully this will be the last TV replacement for me for a while...
mikey94025 likes this.
post #7631 of 8148 Old 02-15-2018, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:

Thanks, I feel that luck will be needed with this one
Not normal at all. Mine looks nothing like that. No OLED screen is band free, but that is bad.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #7632 of 8148 Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am from Brazil and here Sony yet did not lauched the firmware update with Dolby Vision. Anyone knows if is possible to apply a firmware from other country?
post #7633 of 8148 Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgio View Post
I am from Brazil and here Sony yet did not lauched the firmware update with Dolby Vision. Anyone knows if is possible to apply a firmware from other country?
If another country uses the same model, then yes, otherwise no.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #7634 of 8148 Old 02-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
If another country uses the same model, then yes, otherwise no.
My model is XBR-65A1E.
post #7635 of 8148 Old 02-16-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgio View Post
My model is XBR-65A1E.
Well then the firmware here ought to match: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18

If it isn't right, the TV won't try to load it.

Given Brazil uses PAL-M which is almost exactly NTSC-M, it actually makes sense that Brazil would have the same model as north america.
rlb and robgio like this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200

Last edited by lsorensen; 02-16-2018 at 08:18 AM.
post #7636 of 8148 Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Last night I watched the NBA All-Star game and the picture was terrible. There were a lot of artifacts, digitalization looking images. Also I noticed that the images were going in and out of clarity - blurry to in-focus a lot. Any ideas what is going on? Was it the cable feed?

Thanks

Sony XBR-77A1E OLED
post #7637 of 8148 Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokashi View Post
Last night I watched the NBA All-Star game and the picture was terrible. There were a lot of artifacts, digitalization looking images. Also I noticed that the images were going in and out of clarity - blurry to in-focus a lot. Any ideas what is going on? Was it the cable feed?

Thanks
Back off the motionflow. Anything past true cinema will artifact.
post #7638 of 8148 Old 02-19-2018, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Quote:
Originally Posted by canon.tk View Post
Back off the motionflow. Anything past true cinema will artifact.
Nope. Motion flow does not do what they described if used at a minimum. Sounds like a source issue.

I've used Custom and 3 Smooth on the 940E since Aug and now the A1E, it works very well. You want to see an implementation that does funky stuff, watch LG's Trumotion.
dancolt likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #7639 of 8148 Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Nope. Motion flow does not do what they described if used at a minimum. Sounds like a source issue.

I've used Custom and 3 Smooth on the 940E since Aug and now the A1E, it works very well. You want to see an implementation that does funky stuff, watch LG's Trumotion.
I notice some weird anomalies when using custom 3. Panning is much smoother than true cinema but I do see some anomalies around objects.
post #7640 of 8148 Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by canon.tk View Post
I notice some weird anomalies when using custom 3. Panning is much smoother than true cinema but I do see some anomalies around objects.
Custom 3 is a good setting but it does introduce a bit of SOE. I’ve settled on custom min or off.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #7641 of 8148 Old 02-20-2018, 05:32 AM

It does, but I prefer it a little smoother. Whenever I cut it back to true cinema on 24hz, I want to gouge my eyes out. YMMV.

post #7642 of 8148 Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Is there a “smooth” setting?
post #7643 of 8148 Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post
Is there a “smooth” setting?
Under the presets like Custom and Tru Cinema, you have Smooth and Standard. Standard is pretty good, but Smooth is too Smooth for me.

I just use Custom, Smoothness 3, Clearness Low
PaulDuBious, jrref and bokashi like this.

post #7644 of 8148 Old 02-20-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Under the presets like Custom and Tru Cinema, you have Smooth and Standard. Standard is pretty good, but Smooth is too Smooth for me.

I see. I was playing around with the different settings. I like your recommendation of custom, 3 smoothness, clearness: low and cinemotion: low.

You still use cinemotion as low
bokashi likes this.
post #7645 of 8148 Old 02-20-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post
I see. I was playing around with the different settings. I like your recommendation of custom, 3 smoothness, clearness: low and cinemotion: low.

You still use cinemotion as low
Yeah, CM on anything but low starts looking like fast forward.
bokashi likes this.

post #7646 of 8148 Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you!

Sony XBR-77A1E OLED
post #7647 of 8148 Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Anyone here watching Olympics on DirecTV in 4k? My screen dims after a minute or 2. To get it bright, I pause, and restart and it's bright again. Wondering if it's DirecTV, or my a1e.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #7648 of 8148 Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9500 View Post
Anyone here watching Olympics on DirecTV in 4k? My screen dims after a minute or 2. To get it bright, I pause, and restart and it's bright again. Wondering if it's DirecTV, or my a1e.
-If you installed the Dolby Vision update on your A1E then more than likely it's your A1E. Me and another poster on here identified this issue immediately after installing the Dolby Vision update.

-For me it's most noticeable when watching something like basketball or playing video games. If I could go back and install the previous firmware update before Dolby Vision I would because of how annoying the screen dimming is at times.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #7649 of 8148 Old 02-22-2018, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
-If you installed the Dolby Vision update on your A1E then more than likely it's your A1E. Me and another poster on here identified this issue immediately after installing the Dolby Vision update.

-For me it's most noticeable when watching something like basketball or playing video games. If I could go back and install the previous firmware update before Dolby Vision I would because of how annoying the screen dimming is at times.
At times? How about it's unwatchable all the time. This blows.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #7650 of 8148 Old 02-22-2018, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Glad i don't do updates kate.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3