Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14442Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7831 of 8186 Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
TomcatTLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethawk View Post
Factory reset did nothing. It only happens with DirecTV on....Netflix streaming or DVD through OPPO UDP 205 there are no problems that I couldn’t find....no dimming issue and no flashing. I think somehow the update brought about some sort of incompatibility with the Directv Genie???
... This is starting to be a common theme that only Directv Subscribers are having issues with this flashing issue since the latest SW Update for Sony DV Compatible Displays. Z9D Owners with Directv are having the same blinking issue. When watching Non HDR Content have you tried changing the HDR Setting from Auto to OFF in Picture Adjustments ? This eliminates the blinking issue so you can watch Non HDR Content in peace. Just need to remember to change HDR back to Auto for HDR Content. Another remedy is to connect Directv to a different TV HDMI Input.

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800
TomcatTLC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7832 of 8186 Old 04-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
jb442386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Doylestown PA
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Watching The Masters via OTA & the PQ is simply Spectacular!

Sony55A1E|Oppo 203|Sony Z9F Soundbar|ATV4K
jb442386 is offline  
post #7833 of 8186 Old 04-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... This is starting to be a common theme that only Directv Subscribers are having issues with this flashing issue since the latest SW Update for Sony DV Compatible Displays. Z9D Owners with Directv are having the same blinking issue. When watching Non HDR Content have you tried changing the HDR Setting from Auto to OFF in Picture Adjustments ? This eliminates the blinking issue so you can watch Non HDR Content in peace. Just need to remember to change HDR back to Auto for HDR Content. Another remedy is to connect Directv to a different TV HDMI Input.
Thanks Tomcat,

Yeah, I switched the HDR from "Auto" to "Off". Thanks for the response! I'd have to look but I think the Directv HDMI is connected to the Denon AVR then HDMI ARC out from Denon to TV ARC HDMI port.

Sony XBR-65-A1E
Oppo UDP-205
Denon AVR X4300H
Definitive Sound
Jethawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7834 of 8186 Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
TheSonyExperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
The first thing I did was a factory reset - it did not change a thing.
As expected but I appreciate you trying that for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethawk View Post
Factory reset did nothing. It only happens with DirecTV on....Netflix streaming or DVD through OPPO UDP 205 there are no problems that I couldn’t find....no dimming issue and no flashing. I think somehow the update brought about some sort of incompatibility with the Directv Genie???
Interesting. Mine issue is the opposite. I have dimming problems when I stream any HDR content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethawk View Post
I've got some videos of the flashing problem and offered to sent them to Sony but they had no interest.
Sorry to hear that. I am but a small fry in the grand scheme of Sony but I have passed this issue along to my Sony market manager to give to the proper department. The main incentive for Sony to fix this will be our displays we have in our stores. With the latest update turning defective on our display units nationwide, that doesn't bode well for sales or our reputation. Here's to hoping we get some positive feedback sooner rather than later.
statealum and TomcatTLC like this.

Spoiler!
TheSonyExperience is offline  
post #7835 of 8186 Old 04-09-2018, 02:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... Hi lukv. I am trying to obtain specifics about issues that have occurred after the latest Software Updates for DV Compatible Sony TV's so that when I speak with Sony Customer Service I will have details from other Sony Owners that there is issues on a wide platform involving the different models. Did you do the Factory Reset because of a specific problem that's occurred after the latest S.W. Update for your Model ? What was the issue(s) ? T.I.A.
I did it just after I noticed it started to dim after the update to see if it resolves the problem (and in advance because I am always asked to do so by the 1st line of support anyway).

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
lukv is offline  
post #7836 of 8186 Old 04-09-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,229
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7025 Post(s)
Liked: 7050
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Went over a friend’s house last night. Probably haven’t been there in months and little did I know all my OLED talk the last time I was there convinced him to buy 65” A1E. He had it set up on a nice low profile cabinet and I have to say the A1E looks pretty amazing just sitting there, tilt and all. I’ve haven’t seen the Sony using the the stand until now. Speaking of the tilt, I found it to be a non-issue watching it that way. I understand the worry, but not once did I think I’m watching a TV tilted back.
I guess he wanted to surprise you Sony makes a great OLED and I am glad LG has some competition out there
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #7837 of 8186 Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,507
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I guess he wanted to surprise you Sony makes a great OLED and I am glad LG has some competition out there
His family was so happy I talked it up. They're loving their new giant TV.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is online now  
post #7838 of 8186 Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have the dimming problem using a Windows 10 PC hooked up to the set via a receiver, all hooked together by HDMI. If I spend any time on an in-game menu, the screen eventually goes really dim and then brightens up again when I exit out of the menu.

It's really annoying - I take it there's no solution to this at the moment?
caitsith01 is offline  
post #7839 of 8186 Old 04-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Senior Member
 
statealum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
As expected but I appreciate you trying that for all of us.



Interesting. Mine issue is the opposite. I have dimming problems when I stream any HDR content.



Sorry to hear that. I am but a small fry in the grand scheme of Sony but I have passed this issue along to my Sony market manager to give to the proper department. The main incentive for Sony to fix this will be our displays we have in our stores. With the latest update turning defective on our display units nationwide, that doesn't bode well for sales or our reputation. Here's to hoping we get some positive feedback sooner rather than later.
Regardless of you considering yourself a small fry in the grand scheme it's still good to see people from Sony who actually buy the products and participate in forums with other owners. Thanks for doing your part to spread the word up the chain of command.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
statealum is offline  
post #7840 of 8186 Old 04-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
statealum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Went over a friend’s house last night. Probably haven’t been there in months and little did I know all my OLED talk the last time I was there convinced him to buy 65” A1E. He had it set up on a nice low profile cabinet and I have to say the A1E looks pretty amazing just sitting there, tilt and all. I’ve haven’t seen the Sony using the the stand until now. Speaking of the tilt, I found it to be a non-issue watching it that way. I understand the worry, but not once did I think I’m watching a TV tilted back.

Anyone else feel the need to grab the remote of someone else’s TV and set it up the “correct” way? I did it again last night to groans of “where is all the color any way is it so dark?” LOL!
I have my Sony A1E on a tv stand and it does look great on it. Watching the tv from the front I never even think about or notice the "tilt".
markmanner likes this.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
statealum is offline  
post #7841 of 8186 Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panel refresh prompt

How do I get the panel refresh prompt to go away if I don't want to do it and have no need to do it, since my color and screen uniformity is great as is?
Justinthepandafan is offline  
post #7842 of 8186 Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,761
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked: 3793
You don't, unless there's an undocumented way to disable the prompt in the service menu (and I don't know how easy it is, or if it's even possible, to get into Sony SMs using the known public methods).
video_analysis is offline  
post #7843 of 8186 Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have now read a bunch of posts about this dimming issue, and to address a few things:

1. It definitely started with the latest firmware and wasn't present before.

2. It has nothing to do with HDR content. In my case I am getting it via playing non-HDR content a non-HDR PC hooked up to a non-HDR receiver to the TV.

3. It is definitely related to a certain percentage of the screen remaining static for some fairly short period of time (e.g. game menus).

4. It has nothing to do with specific streaming services (I get it when not streaming anything, others get it using a console for example).

Surely Sony much acknowledge and fix this?
caitsith01 is offline  
post #7844 of 8186 Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Incidentally, I am doubly annoyed about this dimming issue because my TV took it upon itself to update the firmware despite the fact that I very deliberately disabled my consent to the privacy agreement which is a prerequisite for updating online. I just turned on the TV one evening and it sat there and updated itself without ever giving me a choice.
caitsith01 is offline  
post #7845 of 8186 Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
TheSonyExperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
Regardless of you considering yourself a small fry in the grand scheme it's still good to see people from Sony who actually buy the products and participate in forums with other owners. Thanks for doing your part to spread the word up the chain of command.
That means a ton. Cheers.
statealum likes this.

Spoiler!
TheSonyExperience is offline  
post #7846 of 8186 Old 04-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
thomasphoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinthepandafan View Post
How do I get the panel refresh prompt to go away if I don't want to do it and have no need to do it, since my color and screen uniformity is great as is?


I have raised this with Sony support, my Tv is suffering from the same issue will keep you posted.

TV-Sony Bravia KD-65"A1, Pioneer SC-LX901 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X, Polk DSW 660*2, Polk RTi A7*2, Pol Csi A6, Polk RtiA5*2, Polk Tsi300*2, Polk TSX 220B *2, Polk OWM 3*2, ZidooZ9s, Nvidia Shield Pro-19, Zappiti-4kHDROne, Oppo UDP-203, XboxOneX, PS4, Oppo BDP-83, Darbee DVP-5000s, ZidooX10, Sony Bravia HX925 55"
thomasphoenix is offline  
post #7847 of 8186 Old 04-13-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 2,042
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinthepandafan View Post
How do I get the panel refresh prompt to go away if I don't want to do it and have no need to do it, since my color and screen uniformity is great as is?
I have had my set since launch and have never seen this prompt. Should I be worried?
Nickff is offline  
post #7848 of 8186 Old 04-13-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,761
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked: 3793
The prompt likely doesn't arrive until 2k hours at the minimum.
video_analysis is offline  
post #7849 of 8186 Old 04-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsith01 View Post

Surely Sony much acknowledge and fix this?
I doubt it.
caitsith01 likes this.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H


FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
EF9500 is offline  
post #7850 of 8186 Old 04-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... This is starting to be a common theme that only Directv Subscribers are having issues with this flashing issue since the latest SW Update for Sony DV Compatible Displays. Z9D Owners with Directv are having the same blinking issue. When watching Non HDR Content have you tried changing the HDR Setting from Auto to OFF in Picture Adjustments ? This eliminates the blinking issue so you can watch Non HDR Content in peace. Just need to remember to change HDR back to Auto for HDR Content. Another remedy is to connect Directv to a different TV HDMI Input.
I have a flashing issue as well, not directv but french cable provider SFR. Tried to write a long post on it
Vilthemon is offline  
post #7851 of 8186 Old 04-27-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AdamAttewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Anyone else getting very poor internet connection speeds over ethernet? Was getting buffering last night watching Mindhunter in Dolby Vision last night so I decided to investigate.

Using the built-in Netflix app under the Settings - Get Help - Check Your Network section you can check your internet connection speed to the Netflix servers.

Using a wired connection I am getting a connection speed of 19 Mbps, connecting the TV to my 5GHz Wi-Fi network I get a connection speed of 78 Mbps.

I have connected a PC to the same ethernet cable that the TV was connected to the router with & using fast.com I get a connection speed of 115Mbps.

So from my little testing I can only come to the conclusion that its either we either have a firmware issue or the onboard ethernet very poor.

Netflix state you need an internet connection speed of at least 25Mbps for UHD content which with the A1E being Sony's flagship TV you would expect the majority of users to be viewing UHD content & using the onboard ethernet in my case will result in not being able to achieve this.

I would have never thought that the Wi-Fi would have resulted in a greater connection speed over ethernet.

Anybody else getting the same results?

Last edited by AdamAttewell; 04-27-2018 at 01:31 PM.
AdamAttewell is offline  
post #7852 of 8186 Old 04-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Newbie
 
momentum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsith01 View Post
It's not the speakers which might introduce latency, it's that the TV and receiver are each potentially doing some processing of the sound which might not take exactly the same amount of time.

Receivers must do something to a digital input before turning it into an analogue output. Most of them do some processing on top of simple decoding. E.g. on my receiver there's a special mode (for vinyl) to disable processing, otherwise it does some processing to all inputs.

Level adjustment on a decent receiver is pretty subtle and relies upon a microphone, you'd lose that.

And IMHO the actual sonic profile of the TV vs the other speakers would be a significant issue.

Overall I maintain it's a terrible idea.
It's been a while since I've logged in or thought about this, but...

The RCA-in on the tv I'm referring to is analog, so the only "processing" is amplification (no DSP). The audio path would be from Source -> A/V Processor -> all channels line-level. From there one channel would go to the TV (and its line-level/preamp -> amp -> speaker) and the rest to whatever (pre-amp)* -> amps -> speakers you have. It's exactly the same way a subwoofer gets connected (often with the amp built right into the subwoofer enclosure).

It does depend on the TV having an analog in with no DSP. I don't own one, but it seems to me that's what the specs indicate.

* An A/V processor usually includes a pre-amp but doesn't have to. If it has fixed (vs. variable) outputs then it needs a pre-amp for volume control (unless you do that entirely in the digital domain, in which case your S/N will suffer to achieve low volume levels). So you might have two stages of pre-amplification into the center channel, but that's not really a problem.

No doubt you still think it's a terrible idea. Do you think any subwoofer that's not the same make and model series as the rest of the speakers is a terrible idea?
momentum is offline  
post #7853 of 8186 Old 04-29-2018, 11:08 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am having the same problem with dimming since the firmware update
I have system restored the tv but it still happens.
I have phoned John Lewis ( where I bought the sony a1 55inch from) today.
The customer services told me that they have had a few calls regarding this problem.
An engineer has been booked for next Saturday to see if he can roll back the firmware.
If he doesnt manage to roll it back I will be looking at geting the Sony replaced for a different manufactures tv.
Shame really as before the firmware update the tv was going great.
bill hibbert is offline  
post #7854 of 8186 Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
statealum's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill hibbert View Post
I am having the same problem with dimming since the firmware update
I have system restored the tv but it still happens.
I have phoned John Lewis ( where I bought the sony a1 55inch from) today.
The customer services told me that they have had a few calls regarding this problem.
An engineer has been booked for next Saturday to see if he can roll back the firmware.
If he doesnt manage to roll it back I will be looking at geting the Sony replaced for a different manufactures tv.
Shame really as before the firmware update the tv was going great.
If the engineer is able to roll back the firmware please share what steps he takes to do it. I know there are quite a few Sony A1E owners who would like to do that if it is possible.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
statealum is offline  
post #7855 of 8186 Old 04-29-2018, 10:32 PM
Member
 
eternal21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This may be a dumb question, but when I watch an HD source material via Apple 4K TV, is the upscaling done by Apple or by the TV? Also, is there a big difference in quality between upscaling done by Apple vs Sony's X1 Extreme processor (I guess I could compare output of apple vs native app)?

Sony XBR-65A1E | AppleTV 4K | PS4 Pro | PSVR
eternal21 is offline  
post #7856 of 8186 Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,509
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
This may be a dumb question, but when I watch an HD source material via Apple 4K TV, is the upscaling done by Apple or by the TV? Also, is there a big difference in quality between upscaling done by Apple vs Sony's X1 Extreme processor (I guess I could compare output of apple vs native app)?


Unless you are outputting 1080p from the Apple TV the ATV is doing the upscaling , the ATV does a very nice job so I don’t think you are missing out on anything.
eternal21 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #7857 of 8186 Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 AM
Member
 
roigen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony a1e vs A8F

Hi.
I've been looking at either the AF8 or A1 in 65 inch size to buy as my new TV. I am a teacher, so I have a nice 10 week summer holiday, during which to watch all the movies and play all the games as I want (late at night, as I am married and have a three-year-old daughter). So my dilemma is as follows. The A1 in Finland is currently 2999 euros and the AF8 is 3599 euros. I can pretty much buy the A1 on June first when my holiday starts or the AF8 in August after my holiday is almost over when I get my bonus holiday pay. And being a teacher pretty much kills my free time on weeknights when I'm teaching. So, should I get the A1 with the 2017 panel and easel stand (my AV stand is pretty high, about 60 cm high) or get the AF8 with the 2018 panel and a less of an incline but miss watching the World Cup and all the 4k Blu-rays I own during the summer? BTW, I'm posting on the AF8 forum as well because the more opinions I get, the better.
roigen is offline  
post #7858 of 8186 Old 05-04-2018, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,507
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by roigen View Post
Hi.
I've been looking at either the AF8 or A1 in 65 inch size to buy as my new TV. I am a teacher, so I have a nice 10 week summer holiday, during which to watch all the movies and play all the games as I want (late at night, as I am married and have a three-year-old daughter). So my dilemma is as follows. The A1 in Finland is currently 2999 euros and the AF8 is 3599 euros. I can pretty much buy the A1 on June first when my holiday starts or the AF8 in August after my holiday is almost over when I get my bonus holiday pay. And being a teacher pretty much kills my free time on weeknights when I'm teaching. So, should I get the A1 with the 2017 panel and easel stand (my AV stand is pretty high, about 60 cm high) or get the AF8 with the 2018 panel and a less of an incline but miss watching the World Cup and all the 4k Blu-rays I own during the summer? BTW, I'm posting on the AF8 forum as well because the more opinions I get, the better.
Either way you win WITH A TEN WEEK VACATION! LOL! Sorry I work in a school system, but I’m a year round employee. I do get a lot of time off and short hours. I do love calling out my teacher friends though.

Anyway I’d say you can’t go wrong either way, but...I’m of the mind that if you can afford the newer TV with the newest tech, I’d wait.
roigen likes this.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is online now  
post #7859 of 8186 Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Either way you win WITH A TEN WEEK VACATION! LOL! Sorry I work in a school system, but I’m a year round employee. I do get a lot of time off and short hours. I do love calling out my teacher friends though.

Anyway I’d say you can’t go wrong either way, but...I’m of the mind that if you can afford the newer TV with the newest tech, I’d wait.
That's the thing. The tech in the A1E and A8F is the same pretty much. The slight lean on the A1E is also really not something you notice while watching it. It's only 5 degrees which is hardly noticeable even if you look for it.
roigen likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #7860 of 8186 Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VidPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,507
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
That's the thing. The tech in the A1E and A8F is the same pretty much. The slight lean on the A1E is also really not something you notice while watching it. It's only 5 degrees which is hardly noticeable even if you look for it.
Is it confirmed the A1E is now using the newest LG panel?

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
VidPro is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off