Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 264 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14435Likes

post #7891 of 8164 Old 05-12-2018, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3855 Post(s)
Liked: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsith01 View Post
There's at least one A8F owner in the dimming thread so you might want to check yours. One of the many ridiculous things about this situation is that not every unit is affected.

And how exactly would that be plausible if the dv update caused this, there is no dv update for the A8F ? I love to bash sets I don’t own based on limited facts. as far as my set goes I don’t need to check anything , definitely not video challenged .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7892 of 8164 Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Quote:
There's at least one A8F owner in the dimming thread so you might want to check yours. One of the many ridiculous things about this situation is that not every unit is affected.

And how exactly would that be plausible if the dv update caused this, there is no dv update for the A8F ? I love to bash sets I don’t own based on limited facts. as far as my set goes I don’t need to check anything , definitely not video challenged .
It happened to be introduced in the same update as DV. The problem has nothing to do with DV and has been widely documented on non DV sources including broadcast sports.

I love how no matter what evidence is produced there are still people who won't accept that Sony has borked a number of very expensive tvs via an undocumented post-purchase firmware update.

I guess it's a psychological thing. People don't want to think that they have paid $3-5k for a fancy tv from a company this incompetent. But the resistance from some here is anti vaxxer, flat earther stuff. I guess you think a bunch of us got together to cook up this story for fun?
VidPro likes this.

Last edited by caitsith01; 05-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.
post #7893 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Do not take this the wrong way but going to disagree. I game
Some but its 720 and madden only.. on ps3 tbough.No dimming in anything i do regardless of
Output. Appletv is all i use if
It makes a difference
PS3 is not HDR capable so you will hardly ever notice any problems.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7894 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 AM

Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
It happened to be introduced in the same update as DV. The problem has nothing to do with DV and has been widely documented on non DV sources including broadcast sports.

I love how no matter what evidence is produced there are still people who won't accept that Sony has borked a number of very expensive tvs via an undocumented post-purchase firmware update.

I guess it's a psychological thing. People don't want to think that they have paid $3-5k for a fancy tv from a company this incompetent. But the resistance from some here is anti vaxxer, flat earther stuff. I guess you think a bunch of us got together to cook up this story for fun?

Now you are just being dumb. I am not disputing any issue on the A1e but unless you are going to come sit in my living room you have no idea what my set looks like . I watch sports all the time guess what no issues . I know a few A1E owners that also have no issues. The only reason I got involved is because you tried to drag the A8F into it. Hope you get your issue resolved won’t be commenting any further.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 05-13-2018 at 04:59 AM.
post #7895 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

For the disbelievers, be very thankful that you are not affected by this appalling issue. I can say with all honesty that this software cockup has completely trashed the set as far as I am concerned.

I am totally exasperated with the whole issue, Sony Customer Support is the worst on the planet and I feel that my hard yearned £3K has been thrown down the drain, a complete and utter waste of money.

There certainly is no collusion amongst fellow A1E sufferers. The problem is now rearing its' ugly head in the UK on the avForum under the Sony KD AF8 owners and discussion thread. The AF8 was introduced with a different Firmware with the DV update to follow, therefore the A1E dimming issue cannot be associated and is nothing to do with DV in the update.
post #7896 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 05:26 AM

I need a nap .
FocusedOne likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #7897 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Having trouble changing inputs with the remote the last week. Kinda strange if you ask me. I changed the batteries in the remote and it seems normal again. Odd the remote worked fine for everything else but changing inputs. Most times i can get 5 years on a set of batteries with all my other remotes. I bought the set last Aug so that was kinda short for the lifespan of batteries.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #7898 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPot View Post
For the disbelievers, be very thankful that you are not affected by this appalling issue. I can say with all honesty that this software cockup has completely trashed the set as far as I am concerned.

I am totally exasperated with the whole issue, Sony Customer Support is the worst on the planet and I feel that my hard yearned £3K has been thrown down the drain, a complete and utter waste of money.

There certainly is no collusion amongst fellow A1E sufferers. The problem is now rearing its' ugly head in the UK on the avForum under the Sony KD AF8 owners and discussion thread. The AF8 was introduced with a different Firmware with the DV update to follow, therefore the A1E dimming issue cannot be associated and is nothing to do with DV in the update.
The more i read about the problem the more i believe that change maybe is not a bug but a intentional save measure for the panel from Sony side. The problem if this is the case is that why not all people affected by it?
post #7899 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I paid much less for my 65" A1E and never did firmware updateS and don't have these probs. I don't think i will ever do a update on it. Have 8 years old OPPO players that were never updated. Firmware updates just seem to cause probs.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs

Last edited by CHASLS2; 05-13-2018 at 02:16 PM.
post #7900 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6773 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:
I would not check anything, enjoy your set and see what you think, if you notice something that is one thing, to search for something is another

It is odd how some units can be effected and some can not, which leads to a fix being harder to do. Good news is the majority of owner in the whole world, not just here on AVS, are not having issues.
post #7901 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
I would not check anything, enjoy your set and see what you think, if you notice something that is one thing, to search for something is another [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

It is odd how some units can be effected and some can not, which leads to a fix being harder to do. Good news is the majority of owner in the whole world, not just here on AVS, are not having issues.
Not sure what your point is. I have this problem and believe me, if you are affected, you'll know it.
post #7902 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPot View Post

The more i read about the problem the more i believe that change maybe is not a bug but a intentional save measure for the panel from Sony side. The problem if this is the case is that why not all people affected by it?
It's definitely intended by Sony, although I think the aggressiveness of the dimming may be a bug. It's hard to imagine that they are sophisticated enough to selectively target panels they are concerned about. It may also be particular combinations of settings.
post #7903 of 8164 Old 05-13-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Do not take this the wrong way but going to disagree. I game
Some but its 720 and madden only.. on ps3 tbough.No dimming in anything i do regardless of
Output. Appletv is all i use if
It makes a difference
PS3 is not HDR capable so you will hardly ever notice any problems.
This is not related to HDR save to say that the dimming issue is more noticeable if your screen is set to higher luminance, which HDR obviously involves. But it also affects SD, non HDR sources.
post #7904 of 8164 Old 05-14-2018, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I know that, but gaming in HDR is still the easiest way to reproduce it.
So if he plays on his PS3 chances that he'll notice it are slim (because let's face it - it takes extra steps like setting SDR luminance peak to high, brightness to max and disabling light sensor).

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #7905 of 8164 Old 05-14-2018, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Dimming issue

Like it or not the dimming issue is to protect itself from image burn in. Since the the update i have noticed it on my set. If i have it on BBC NEWS 24 and it senses anything that it static like the logo at the bottom left hand corner, after about one minute then it dims. All other channels without any logos and blu rays are unaffected.

TV Sony KD 55A1. Oppo205, oppo105, Denon 3800BD, M & K MX350 Subs, Naim AV2,DVD5 NAP175, HI FI NAIM/LINN ISOBARIK SPEAKERS.
post #7906 of 8164 Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermariojj View Post
Like it or not the dimming issue is to protect itself from image burn in. Since the the update i have noticed it on my set. If i have it on BBC NEWS 24 and it senses anything that it static like the logo at the bottom left hand corner, after about one minute then it dims. All other channels without any logos and blu rays are unaffected.
IMHO that means there are only two possible positions then:

1. The update is a defect in that it is ridiculously aggressive.

2. The set itself is defective if it requires that level of dimming to 'protect' it.

In my view, if the set cannot be run at normal settings on normal content (broadcast TV or gaming) without damaging it then Sony's promotion of this television has been fundamentally misleading.

And to the extent that this is deliberate, it makes no sense that many (most, it seems) people do not have this issue at all. Why would some sets have hyper aggressive dimming, while most do not?

Also, if Sony can detect a static region in the image then why not dim only that region. There would be no problem at all if just the score in sport or game UI elements in a game were slightly dimmer.

What an utter mess.
post #7907 of 8164 Old 05-15-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

2. The set itself is defective if it requires that level of dimming to 'protect' it.

In my view, if the set cannot be run at normal settings on normal content (broadcast TV or gaming) without damaging it then Sony's promotion of this television has been fundamentally misleading.

And to the extent that this is deliberate, it makes no sense that many (most, it seems) people do not have this issue at all. Why would some sets have hyper aggressive dimming, while most do not?

Also, if Sony can detect a static region in the image then why not dim only that region. There would be no problem at all if just the score in sport or game UI elements in a game were slightly dimmer.

What an utter mess.
Mine has been fine and never any firmware updates.

B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #7908 of 8164 Old 05-15-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
I haven't noticed any of this yet with latest firmware. Hopefully this get's sorted out for those having an issue.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #7909 of 8164 Old 05-15-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 776
^^+1
post #7910 of 8164 Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
Quote:

Some members who have contacted Sony posted here that they were told it is not a mistake and that it was intended to protect the panel. It may be overly aggressive but it is not a "defect".

I have never noticed it on my set, why some people see it and others don't may be due to individual settings and viewed content. I use Cinema Pro 99% of the time with brightness at 20 so it's probably dimmer already than a lot of other people's sets. But also have never noticed it when watching HDR/Dolby Vision when everything gets automatically cranked up. I also don't game or watch sports, which seem to be mentioned frequently with the issue. So every A1E is almost certainly affected but some like me are just less likely to experience it.

Edit: When I say *every* I mean the ones with the latest firmware.

Sony 65A1E

Last edited by Egan; 05-15-2018 at 05:25 PM.
post #7911 of 8164 Old 05-15-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Some members who have contacted Sony posted here that they were told it is not a mistake and that it was intended to protect the panel. It may be overly aggressive but it is not a "defect".
I don't agree. Something can be done deliberately but still be a defect. It is just a design defect rather than an implementation defect. Plenty of things are done intentionally by incompetent people.

And my point was that either they have messed up the algorithm, or the panels themselves are not actually capable of what Sony advertised them for, i.e., displaying amazing high contrast, high luminance OLED pictures. Because if you have to dim the living hell out of them to 'protect' them then they are evidently not fit for purpose.

The fact that only some panels are affected strongly suggests that this is an error, though. It makes no sense that so many people are unaffected by this issue, unless Sony has some magical way of detecting 'at risk' panels.
post #7912 of 8164 Old 05-16-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
I am getting rid of my 65" lg c7 because I couldn't take any more of the dim HDR game mode. I originally was going to go with a samsung q9fn after reading a bunch of reviews that recommended it for gaming. However, after viewing it in person I changed my mind because IMHO it doesn't come close to oleds in terms of picture quality. I passed on the lg c8 because I think I am done with LG as a brand, and because after viewing side by side, the a1e has slightly better PQ to my eyes especially with upscaled cable tv and sports. Now its between the a1e and a8f. I like the price of the a1e but I prefer the form factor of the a8f. As far as picture quality goes between the two of them, im hearing mixed things. Has anyone here had both these sets or seen both of them to compare?
post #7913 of 8164 Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I am getting rid of my 65" lg c7 because I couldn't take any more of the dim HDR game mode. I originally was going to go with a samsung q9fn after reading a bunch of reviews that recommended it for gaming. However, after viewing it in person I changed my mind because IMHO it doesn't come close to oleds in terms of picture quality. I passed on the lg c8 because I think I am done with LG as a brand, and because after viewing side by side, the a1e has slightly better PQ to my eyes especially with upscaled cable tv and sports. Now its between the a1e and a8f. I like the price of the a1e but I prefer the form factor of the a8f. As far as picture quality goes between the two of them, im hearing mixed things. Has anyone here had both these sets or seen both of them to compare?
Have you literally not read any posts in this thread?

The A1 (and quite possibly the A8) has a defect with dimming during gaming.

If you are buying a TV so that you have bright HDR pictures in gaming, then I would suggest you read this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ng-defect.html
post #7914 of 8164 Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I paid much less for my 65" A1E and never did firmware updateS and don't have these probs. I don't think i will ever do a update on it. Have 8 years old OPPO players that were never updated. Firmware updates just seem to cause probs.
Updates on electronics are frequently useful. Sometimes even highly advisable. You have made this 'I never update' statement on other threads. Don't update your equipment if you don't want to, but I think you would fairly admit that you are purposefully backward looking technologically, so your approach might not be the best advice in general.
Best,
Mark
PersianImmortal likes this.

System
Spoiler!
post #7915 of 8164 Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you literally not read any posts in this thread?

The A1 (and quite possibly the A8) has a defect with dimming during gaming.

If you are buying a TV so that you have bright HDR pictures in gaming, then I would suggest you read this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...ng-defect.html
Unfortunately I wish I had the time to go into each and every new thread but it’s tough to catch all of them. Besides, this TV set has been out for about a year and this is the first time I’m hearing about the dimming. Especially game mode, never heard that it’s dimmer than other modes. I’ll check the thread out. Thanks. Hopefully that thread will answer if the a8f is also affected by this issue.
post #7916 of 8164 Old 05-16-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I wish I had the time to go into each and every new thread but it’s tough to catch all of them. Besides, this TV set has been out for about a year and this is the first time I’m hearing about the dimming. Especially game mode, never heard that it’s dimmer than other modes. I’ll check the thread out. Thanks. Hopefully that thread will answer if the a8f is also affected by this issue.
Sorry, didn't mean to come off so hostile.

Some (but not all, it seems) A1s and possibly some A8s are affected by a 'feature' where the screen aggressively dims if a small amount of the image remains static for about 60 seconds. So if you buy one, you're taking a big risk that you'll get hit with this problem.
post #7917 of 8164 Old 05-17-2018, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I was going to buy one too, but this issue has probably scared me off on the Sony's. Too bad, as really wanted the better motion. Guess - will have to be a C8, unless Sony fixes the issue or just keep my Kuro, which is still going strong with never an issue.

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to come off so hostile.

Some (but not all, it seems) A1s and possibly some A8s are affected by a 'feature' where the screen aggressively dims if a small amount of the image remains static for about 60 seconds. So if you buy one, you're taking a big risk that you'll get hit with this problem.
post #7918 of 8164 Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I would not check anything, enjoy your set and see what you think, if you notice something that is one thing, to search for something is another

I’ve seen about 10 different a8f and a1e in person and haven’t seen one hint of this so called dimming except for the normal abl stuff.
post #7919 of 8164 Old 05-17-2018, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

-The dimming was introduced with the Dolby Vision firmware update that was released this year in late January. Some sets appear to be affected by the dimming more than others. More than likely any Sony A1E you buy won't have that firmware installed since it is a fairly recent update.

-You will be able to weigh the risks of installing the more recent updates to get Dolby Vision but also potentially have your tv start dimming or leaving the default firmware on the tv and being stuck with HDR 10 and HLG only.

-The upside of leaving your television on the default firmware is that you will never have to worry about your television dimming or game mode appearing too dark. The downside is you will not be able to experience Dolby Vision on this set and the Dolby Vision content I have watched looks very good.

-In my opinion the Sony A1E hdr game mode looks better than the 2017 LG. I think in order to reach 21ms the LG Oled cuts down on the processing more than the Sony does. Game mode on the Sony looks similar to it's cinema pro mode but there is also more lag 30-31 ms compared to the LG.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #7920 of 8164 Old 05-17-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I’ve seen about 10 different a8f and a1e in person and haven’t seen one hint of this so called dimming except for the normal abl stuff.
How many of them were showing content with a small percentage of the screen static for over a minute, with luminance set to high, with the latest firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page