Sony A1E 4K HDR OLED TV Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14441Likes

post #7921 of 8172 Old 05-18-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 324
So if you are not a gamer or cable tv watcher and only use your A1E for movies and streaming this issue should not affect you.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 8172 Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
-The dimming was introduced with the Dolby Vision firmware update that was released this year in late January. Some sets appear to be affected by the dimming more than others. More than likely any Sony A1E you buy won't have that firmware installed since it is a fairly recent update.

-You will be able to weigh the risks of installing the more recent updates to get Dolby Vision but also potentially have your tv start dimming or leaving the default firmware on the tv and being stuck with HDR 10 and HLG only.

-The upside of leaving your television on the default firmware is that you will never have to worry about your television dimming or game mode appearing too dark. The downside is you will not be able to experience Dolby Vision on this set and the Dolby Vision content I have watched looks very good.

-In my opinion the Sony A1E hdr game mode looks better than the 2017 LG. I think in order to reach 21ms the LG Oled cuts down on the processing more than the Sony does. Game mode on the Sony looks similar to it's cinema pro mode but there is also more lag 30-31 ms compared to the LG.

It's not quite that simple. Let's keep in mind that the latest firmware update also contain much more than just Dolby Vision. For example, here in Australia, the A1 has received the following set of features/bug fixes in the DV update (should be the same for most regions):

Quote:
  • Voice search UI has changed
  • Improvement of Opera Apps performance
  • Update of voice recognition language to integrate with TV language.
  • Resolves an issue where Multiple Horizontal Lines/Bands appearing which is related to local dimming function
  • Resolves an issue where short beeping sound can be heard after changing channel (PCM→Dolby digital (AC3) on STB)
  • Resolves an issue where TV goes to 8X blinking when starting content from PS4 PRO
  • Resolves an issue where Panel Refresh Pop Up is repeatedly displayed
  • Resolves an issue where distorted audio is output through subwoofer after RC on from standby
  • Resolves an issue where assistant (Voice) key does not work after Initial Setup
  • Resolves an issue where HDMI no picture and no sound by OTP On
  • Resolves an issue where TV does not change input of AMP(TV) when Source change to TV Tuner
  • Resolves an issue where Video freeze and lipsync off on "Amazon Prime" playback
  • Resolves an issue where Audio on TV Speaker echoes when Bluetooth headphone is connected

And the previous update (which is included in the latest firmware) fixed these issues:

Quote:
  • Improves TV response time when using the remote control
  • Resolves YouTube 4K playback issue (2,560 x 1,440 resolution or higher)
  • Resolves an issue where "No operation shutdown" dialog box cannot be closed when using the VOL+/- buttons
  • Resolves an issue where the TV turns on by itself from standby mode
  • Removal of Twitter functions (Social Viewing)
  • Change of sound volume when playback AAC content for Shop front demo mode
  • Change Idle TV standby to meet UAE Eco label regulation
  • Performance improvement: slow volume bar, etc.
  • Upgrade to Android Nougat
  • Picture-in-picture during using an app
  • Task-switching
  • Expanded support for Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR content
  • Using voice search with the browser
    * Internet connection is required.
  • Voice search for Serial AbTak (Only in India)
  • Improved the Settings screen
  • Add multiple Google accounts to your TV

So if you stay on the default firmware, which can be up to a year old, you're going to miss out on some pretty important features like the upgrade to Android Nougat, improved navigation responsiveness, improved voice integration, and fixing critical bugs like the TV turning itself on or exhibiting audio and/or visual glitches.

Best advice would be to check your firmware version and if you're running the version just prior to the DV update (6.26 I believe), and you're not experiencing the bugs shown in the first list above, then sure, you can avoid updating the firmware.

For the record, I haven't seen the dimming bug in normal movie content, because movies (Blu-ray and Netflix) typically don't have any static components that display for a minute or more.
srinivas1015 likes this.
post #7923 of 8172 Old 05-19-2018, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Dimming

Try freezing the picture for over a minute and see if it dims then.

TV Sony KD 55A1. Oppo205, oppo105, Denon 3800BD, M & K MX350 Subs, Naim AV2,DVD5 NAP175, HI FI NAIM/LINN ISOBARIK SPEAKERS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7924 of 8172 Old 05-19-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked: 6859
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Updates on electronics are frequently useful. Sometimes even highly advisable. You have made this 'I never update' statement on other threads. Don't update your equipment if you don't want to, but I think you would fairly admit that you are purposefully backward looking technologically, so your approach might not be the best advice in general.
Best,
Mark
There is good and bad with these updates........
markmanner likes this.
post #7925 of 8172 Old 05-19-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermariojj View Post
Try freezing the picture for over a minute and see if it dims then.

If this was directed at me, my answer would be that I don't usually pause a movie for over a minute while watching it. But that makes me curious: does the dimming stay in effect once it starts regardless of what you do or what's in the scene?
post #7926 of 8172 Old 05-20-2018, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm sure if the picture is static the picture will go into dimming mode. Try it, it won't hurt it for a minute or so.

TV Sony KD 55A1. Oppo205, oppo105, Denon 3800BD, M & K MX350 Subs, Naim AV2,DVD5 NAP175, HI FI NAIM/LINN ISOBARIK SPEAKERS.
post #7927 of 8172 Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 PM

There's some indication that the dimming issue will be addressed according to this post on the UK Sony Community Forums:
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...ht/true#M28144

Quote:
So I had my phone meeting with Sony this morning, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with it how it went.

Importantly, they conceded it is an issue that is now affecting numerous people, and is not performing how it should be. They couldn't go into the exact specifications and details of the problem as it is classified product information, but it was great to hear them accepting it is a problem.

They also confirmed that my video has been forwarded on to the top dogs and also the Japanese development team, who are currently working on a solution.

When I asked for a timescale for this patch/solution, I was told whilst there is no specific timeframe confirmed at the moment, it is being worked on as a priority because of the flagship nature of the sets being affected. I am also going to be kept up to speed on the progress of this patch/solution and they are going to actively keep me in the know.

So yeah, I have to say I'm quietly encouraged. It's nice to hear them accepting it is an issue affecting lots of us, and that there is an active effort underway to resolve it, and that it is a priority and they'll be keeping me up to speed with it all. That's a lot more than they've conceded and revealed in the past.
post #7928 of 8172 Old 05-20-2018, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianImmortal View Post
It's not quite that simple. Let's keep in mind that the latest firmware update also contain much more than just Dolby Vision. For example, here in Australia, the A1 has received the following set of features/bug fixes in the DV update (should be the same for most regions):

And the previous update (which is included in the latest firmware) fixed these issues:

So if you stay on the default firmware, which can be up to a year old, you're going to miss out on some pretty important features like the upgrade to Android Nougat, improved navigation responsiveness, improved voice integration, and fixing critical bugs like the TV turning itself on or exhibiting audio and/or visual glitches.

Best advice would be to check your firmware version and if you're running the version just prior to the DV update (6.26 I believe), and you're not experiencing the bugs shown in the first list above, then sure, you can avoid updating the firmware.

For the record, I haven't seen the dimming bug in normal movie content, because movies (Blu-ray and Netflix) typically don't have any static components that display for a minute or more.

-All of those so called upgrades are an easy tradeoff to give up to ensure the picture does not dim. I personally did not have any issues on the default firmware that makes the television feel as unpleasant to use as it does now. Like you said you haven't experienced dimming in most of the content you watch so you don't fully grasp the severity of the issue. I have had my A1E almost since it was first available and followed this thread. Even when it launched it appeared that there were no major issues with the Sony and the thread was filled with mostly happy owners compared to most other threads. You are correct if someone can upgrade or find a way to get on the last firmware before the Dolby Vision firmware then that would be best.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #7929 of 8172 Old 05-21-2018, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
-All of those so called upgrades are an easy tradeoff to give up to ensure the picture does not dim. I personally did not have any issues on the default firmware that makes the television feel as unpleasant to use as it does now. Like you said you haven't experienced dimming in most of the content you watch so you don't fully grasp the severity of the issue. I have had my A1E almost since it was first available and followed this thread. Even when it launched it appeared that there were no major issues with the Sony and the thread was filled with mostly happy owners compared to most other threads. You are correct if someone can upgrade or find a way to get on the last firmware before the Dolby Vision firmware then that would be best.
Like you, I would prefer no DV and no other improvements but this issue gone for the time being.

However, medium term Sony should be able to implement DV etc but turn off this rubbish feature, or at least make it optional. Having now checked out some Dolby Vision stuff (e.g. 'Godless' on Netflix), it looks amazing.

I don't understand why Sony doesn't try a much more elegant solution - only dim the high contrast bits of the image that are actually static. I.e., given they are detecting when an area remains static, it should be trivial to only dim that area and then only dim it if it is outside certain bounds (I say this as someone who has done some work in image processing and computer vision). I doubt anyone would be complaining if all that happened was the score was a bit dimmer when watching sport, or elements of the UI were a bit dimmer in gaming. Instead, Sony has chosen to wreck the entire image.
post #7930 of 8172 Old 05-24-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Spectacular Android performance improvement

I went from having a very slow/lagging UI (not terrible, but annoying) and video playback that would stutter over wi-fi or ethernet to having a smooth interface AND video that doesn't stutter at all immediately thanks to this Reddit thread I found:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...und_processes/

This solution provided a DRAMATIC improvement. Unfortunately it won't stick between reboots and has to be reapplied, but EVERYONE should consider this post's suggestions...
PersianImmortal likes this.

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #7931 of 8172 Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 PM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
I went from having a very slow/lagging UI (not terrible, but annoying) and video playback that would stutter over wi-fi or ethernet to having a smooth interface AND video that doesn't stutter at all immediately thanks to this Reddit thread I found:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...und_processes/

This solution provided a DRAMATIC improvement. Unfortunately it won't stick between reboots and has to be reapplied, but EVERYONE should consider this post's suggestions...
Thanks for this tip - that does make quite a noticeable difference.
scott_bernstein likes this.
post #7932 of 8172 Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a full 5.1 Sonos setup and I have a lot of audio lag, I called Sonos and they confirmed that the A1E has lag form the optical. Has anyone else seen this? I'm thinking about upgrading to the Sony ST5000 or the Samsung Atmos soundbar.

XBR55-A1E
Sonos PlayBar/Sub/1/3/5
AppleTV 4K
post #7933 of 8172 Old 06-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Tish View Post
I have a full 5.1 Sonos setup and I have a lot of audio lag, I called Sonos and they confirmed that the A1E has lag form the optical. Has anyone else seen this? I'm thinking about upgrading to the Sony ST5000 or the Samsung Atmos soundbar.
Try turning On AV Sync on the TV this will delay the video.

HOME > Settings > Sound > A/V Sync > On

note: this setting also is used when using BT Headphones due to lag on that technology.
post #7934 of 8172 Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
Try turning On AV Sync on the TV this will delay the video.

HOME > Settings > Sound > A/V Sync > On

note: this setting also is used when using BT Headphones due to lag on that technology.
I have tried turning that on and off, nothing makes a difference, I currently have a box ripping the audio out before it hits the TV but it does not Support Dolby Vision or 4:2:2 Chroma.

XBR55-A1E
Sonos PlayBar/Sub/1/3/5
AppleTV 4K
post #7935 of 8172 Old 06-06-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Well I just pulled the trigger on one of these from ebay (a very highly rated seller). Serious cosmetic damage on the back only. I think naming the price is against the rules, but it was WAY below MSRP. Wish me luck!
post #7936 of 8172 Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
So if you are not a gamer or cable tv watcher and only use your A1E for movies and streaming this issue should not affect you.
There are also plenty of ways to negate it from happening while playing a game. In God of War for example if you change the combat HUD so it only displays when you touch the track pad you won't experience the issue (the compass staying up at all times doesn't cause it to happen). Other games changing the opacity of the HUD will negate the issue. Some games with the HUD up all the time it just never happens for some reason - unfortunately a couple games where you really need the HUD and it does come in to play there isn't a good work around.

I've also noticed that when using my laptop hooked to the TV I don't have the issue even with most of the desktop continually statics which seems odd.

Not an excuse for Sony, but everything is usable for me until they do fix the problem. It's just annoying that it happened in the first place.

65" Sony A1E
Sony STR-DN1080
JBL Studio L880 Towers
JBL Studio LC2 Center
JBL Studio L810 Surrounds
Velodyne DPS-10 Sub
post #7937 of 8172 Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Is it possible to get burn in from black bars at top and bottom of screen when viewing different aspect ratio films? Should a user always use a zoom mode to fill the screen? It would cut off a lot of film but if it prevents burn in it might be worth it.

Matt
post #7938 of 8172 Old 06-06-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Is it possible to get burn in from black bars at top and bottom of screen when viewing different aspect ratio films? Should a user always use a zoom mode to fill the screen? It would cut off a lot of film but if it prevents burn in it might be worth it.

Most people seem to think it can't. I think most people are of the opinion that burn in only happens from bright static content, not off pixels like the black bars.

Of course LG's 2018 models documentation does strangely suggest zooming on movies which seems like a stupid thing to do.
mattg3 likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #7939 of 8172 Old 06-14-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Seems like this forum is slowing down in activity. Everyone pretty happy with their A1E and overall performance? I have Gregg Loewen here now handling the calibration for my Sony 65 A1E... took me long enough to pull the trigger on calibration...

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED | Pioneer Kuro Elite 141FD 60" | Rotel RAP-1580 AVR | Kef Reference 1 | OPPO UDP-205 | B&W CM5 | Apple 4K TV | Sonus One | Peachtree Nova Amp | Pro-Ject Turntable | Xbox One X (soon) | Panamax MB1500 | APC H15 Power Conditioning | AudioQuest Coffee & Vodka (in-wall) | Control4 EA 1 & SR-260-I | Amazon Echo | Sanus BLF228-B1 Wall Mount
post #7940 of 8172 Old 06-14-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did see some speculation on a board on another site that a new Firmware update is coming very soon as it's already rolled out in another country...I believe that this is supposed to address the dimming issue.

post #7941 of 8172 Old 06-14-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just had Gregg Loewen of Lion AV in today to calibrate the Sony 65A1E. Amazing work. Can't wait for tonight to watch a 4k movie, maybe Pacific Rim, as it is 16x9 and should look awesome (not vouching for movie content quality). He also calibrated my Pioneer Kuro Elite. I had the boards replaced a couple of months ago and it looked like crap. I'm in love with that TV all over again!!!

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED | Pioneer Kuro Elite 141FD 60" | Rotel RAP-1580 AVR | Kef Reference 1 | OPPO UDP-205 | B&W CM5 | Apple 4K TV | Sonus One | Peachtree Nova Amp | Pro-Ject Turntable | Xbox One X (soon) | Panamax MB1500 | APC H15 Power Conditioning | AudioQuest Coffee & Vodka (in-wall) | Control4 EA 1 & SR-260-I | Amazon Echo | Sanus BLF228-B1 Wall Mount
post #7942 of 8172 Old 06-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
Is it confirmed the A1E is now using the newest LG panel?
We're half way into 2018. Can we use the help of the owners thread to find the newest build date and then zoom in on subpixels to see if April/May builds have the 2018 panel? I'm not sure how people photograph subpixels and if they need special equipment.

Do you think this is possible? For science!
BlueChris likes this.
post #7943 of 8172 Old 07-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 146
What's the advantage of the new lg panel?
FocusedOne likes this.

1) 7.2.4 Atmos; Marantz 8802a; Parasound A51; Parasound 1250; Oppo BDP203; AppleTV4K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Prestige 95F; ML Descent-i; Prestige 2000sw; 4x SA-ADP paradigm in walls surrounds; 4x paradigm ceilings, angled; Furman; XBR-77A1E; xfinity x1; 2) 5.1; Marantz 7702; Emotiva XPA-5; Monster Power Center; Oppo-BDP93; Apple 2K; Harmony Hub; Paradigm Studio 100 v.5, CC-690, SA-ADP in-walls; Paradigm Sub 15; Panasonic ZT60 65"; Xfinity X1
post #7944 of 8172 Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 666
@Taxcheat I saw your posts about getting rid of Samba to debloat Android in the 900F thread, great info thanks. I had to use ".\" in front of adb to get it to accept commands in the Win 10 shell, and got the box to appear on my A1E to accept PC input, but nothing worked after that.
FocusedOne likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #7945 of 8172 Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
@Taxcheat I saw your posts about getting rid of Samba to debloat Android in the 900F thread, great info thanks. I had to use ".\" in front of adb to get it to accept commands in the Win 10 shell, and got the box to appear on my A1E to accept PC input, but nothing worked after that.
Happy to help, but I need more info. Are there error messages? It should be working if you get the pop up on the TV, because that means the ADB software has connected to the TV. Once connected, the commands should work.

If there's any chance you know how to set up a VM with linux, it's easier than win10 shell.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
post #7946 of 8172 Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Happy to help, but I need more info. Are there error messages? It should be working if you get the pop up on the TV, because that means the ADB software has connected to the TV. Once connected, the commands should work.

If there's any chance you know how to set up a VM with linux, it's easier than win10 shell.
Thanks for your reply. I just tried again and I got 3/4 to work, don't know why it didn't last night. The one that failed was the "uninstall tv.samba.ssm" command. The message just said "[DELETE_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]. I wonder if that's because I have Samba disabled in the regular user menu?

Sony 65A1E
post #7947 of 8172 Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
The message just said "[DELETE_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]. I wonder if that's because I have Samba disabled in the regular user menu?
Nah, you're good. There are two uninstall commands for ssm, one deletes it with cache, the other deletes without cache. As long as one of the commands got an ok, you're golden.

Removing ssm eliminates the Samba nag. interactivetvplatform is the process that takes snapshots of whatever you're watching and records it to a database to be uploaded into the cloud.

For those wondering what this is about, it's how to get rid of the truly nasty Spyware and bloat on our Sonys. Details here.

XBR-75Z9D fed by Oppo 203. Decrapifying the X1 Extreme

Last edited by Taxcheat; 07-10-2018 at 09:28 AM.
post #7948 of 8172 Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
Nah, you're good. There are two uninstall commands for ssm, one deletes it with cache, the other deletes without cache. As long as one of the commands got an ok, you're golden.

Removing ssm eliminates the Samba nag. interactivetvplatform is the process that takes snapshots of whatever you're watching and records it to a database to be uploaded into the cloud.

For those wondering what this is about, it's how to get rid of the truly nasty Spyware and bloat on our Sonys. Details here.
OK cool, thanks for posting about this. I love being able to defeat spyware, if it speeds up Android that's a bonus.

Sony 65A1E
post #7949 of 8172 Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I know the activity on this thread is waaay down...but does anyone know if a new update is impending?
post #7950 of 8172 Old 07-19-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae44 View Post
I know the activity on this thread is waaay down...but does anyone know if a new update is impending?
I saw on a different thread that an update was released on Sony's UK site and then it was removed -- I can only assume that there was a serious problem with it and they had to pull it to do some additional fixes on it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page