2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1011 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980231Likes

post #30301 of 35899 Old 06-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
it might not be a 'problem'...might just be a subjective opinion that he doesn't like the look of Dolby Vision...or it may be a specific setting...I think everyone should either have their sets professionally calibrated or look up some settings online and use them as a starting point
If you want to help him out, you are replying to the wrong person. I don't need you, man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30302 of 35899 Old 06-26-2018, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
Color depth is set to 24bits per pixel(8-bit) and Color space is set to Standard.
It looks all good.
post #30303 of 35899 Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Watched all of season 1 of Goliath on the new update in HDR off my ATV4K with 0 issues but just started season 2 tonight and the black levels are extremley elevated and the contast is piss poor during some scenes and others its fine. This is the first time i have ever experienced elevated black levels at all since owning my B7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30304 of 35899 Old 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by theathlete View Post
Started watching Luke Cage season two today. I use the built in Netflix app and it says Dolby Vision in the upper right corner when I hit play.
What are the rest of your settings? I literally had no problems with Luke Cage S02...looked great using these DV settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Netflix has the worst Dolby Vision content. It's terrible on all their Marvel content. The highlights are blinding. I preferred watching Netflix Marvel shows in 4K SDR from Apple TV with Dolby Vision off.

I played a 5 minutes of Lost in Space. The Dolby Vision looked pretty good. It really depends on the content.
Again, what are your settings? I think most of their stuff looks excellent for only being 15Mbps bitrate for video...Lost in Space looked fantastic

Quote:
I think Netflix has excellent DV content- Altered Carbon, Lost in Space, the Marvel shows etc...Amazon's HDR content for some reason does look a bit better- Electric Dreams in HDR looked better then any DV content on Netflix...not a night/day difference but slightly better colors and blacks
This ... Bosch in HDR was pretty decent and clean but I think it may just be the way certain shows are shot and produced

Josh
post #30305 of 35899 Old 06-26-2018, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The constant ASBL dimming is driving me nuts while playing Witcher 3. I can’t believe the algorithm is so dumb that it dims during dialogue scenes that have camera cuts.

Really wish it was easier to get in to the service menu and turn it off.
post #30306 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
Hello - I have a World Cup game in 2160p HDR; it's an .mkv file

I'm wondering if someone with a 7th or 8th Intel (with USB C) laptop can try playing this on a LG C7. PM me, and I can get the file to you.

*Edit - PM's sent.
Actually, it was a MPEG-TS file that you provided. Apparently recorded OTA in Europe (since it's 2160p @50Hz) per the imbedded metadata information along with what my Oppo UDP-203 and LG OLED C7 (calibrated just last week by D-Nice four ways for (a) ISF-Bright room, (b) ISF-Night, (c) HDR -> Cinema (user), and (4) Dolby Vision). present as onscreen info:

I was unable to find any USB-C to HDMI cable or adapter that claimed support for 4K @ 60Hz HDR 18Gb/s. Even though my Lenovo P70 has USB-C I didn't waste any time trying to play it that way. Instead I focused first on using my desktop HTPC running Win7 which has an nVidia GTX 1050ti graphics card that supports HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 through a premium certified HDMI cable connected from the HDMI output of the 1050ti both through the HDMI input of my Oppo UDP-203 (which is then connected to HDMI2 input of my C7) as well as directly to the C7 through HDMI1 input.

Using the connection methods described above (i.e. going from HDMI output of my GTX 1050ti to the C7 either indirectly through the Oppo or directly to the C7) both Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center were unable to produce video (just a black screen), although they could play the audio. I don't know if it was the 50Hz or HDR which produced the failure. VideoLAN (VLC) was also unable to produce moving video, and just had a frozen image in the program window. Only PotPlayer seemed to "work perfectly: and presented a perfectly normal image that filled the entire C7 screen. However the colors were all washed out, and the C7 didn't put out "HDR" in the upper right corner of the screen when playback started.

And I was certain to configure the C7 as my "monitor #3 " in my nVidia Control Panel configuration with full 4K resolution at 60Hz, 12-bit color 4.2.2 (as I recall now). Whatever I tried, the picture onscreen of the c7 looked bad. Definitely 2160p (per both Oppo and C7 info) but unacceptable color. I don't believe PotPlayer supports HDR, but for whatever overall combination of factors this part of the experiment was really a failure.

I then gave up using my HTPC and its nVidia GTX 1050ti graphics and some Windows player software putting output to the C7. Instead I tried using the Oppo UDP-203 outputting to HDMI2 input on the C7, going through its "network" playback (using my Win7 HTPC as an SMB server), simply navigating to the folder on the HTPC that contained the TS recording file.

SUCCESS!!!

Picture looks stunning. Grass is beautiful gorgeous natural green and all the skin tones and other colors are perfect. C7 flashed "HDR" when the playback started, and automatically switches to "Cinema (user)" calibrated picture mode. Really stunning.

Onscreen info:

(a) Oppo - 4Kx2K 50 4.2.2 12b, actual bitrate between 18Mb/s and 22Mb/s
(b) LG C7 - 2160p HDR BT.2020

Here's the file info as derived by PotPlayer (which uses the MediaInfo DLL):

Greg TB and alexbarbel like this.

Last edited by DSperber; 06-27-2018 at 12:28 AM.
post #30307 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 204
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

So after messing around with the tv and testing HDR Game mode the trick is to go into the options of the game you’re playing and adjust the brightness and HDR settings and that fixed the majority of games that were looking dark to me earlier. The only game that looks dim is madden and it’s also the only game that doesn’t have any brightness or HDR sliders. The deep blacks on these OLEDs are insane. Very difficult to go back to LEDs after this. Tomorrow I’ll mess with the PS4 pro and see if I encounter the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22

Last edited by Artman22; 06-27-2018 at 12:53 AM.
post #30308 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone have the B7 and the LG SK10y bar? I want to know if you experience lip sync issues with live tv. Thank you!
post #30309 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
What are the rest of your settings? I literally had no problems with Luke Cage S02...looked great using these DV settings

I've been using the "Cinema" default with these tweaks from jbebel's chart:

I think I read somewhere that the presets are so good that they really only need minor tweaks in order for the picture to look very good. Honestly up until this day I have not once thought about the settings because everything has looked so good. Just the dark picture got me wondering.

I'll give those settings you linked a try and rewatch episode one!

I'll report back.

Edit: @lax01 did you do the "installation of the DV calibration file"? Correct me if I'm wrong but you first loaded that "calibration" file as per the procedure explained buy sonoftumble and then adjusted the settings as per his recommendation in the post you linked? Many thanks

Last edited by theathlete; 06-27-2018 at 04:25 AM.
post #30310 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've recently purchased the C7 here in the UK and really liking it. I moved from a Samsung KS8000 due to the lack of support for current HDR standards (especially HLG in the BBC iPlayer and upcoming SkyQ). I have a couple questions about what is currently supported by the C7....

Does it support HDR10+? If not, any plans to update via firmware?
I notice the C8 supports HDR10 Pro (this is a new one to me) is there any support for this on the C7 or going to be?
I've read through a lot of this forum and there's mention of HDR by Technicolor - is this coming to the C7?

Thanks in advance
post #30311 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
So after messing around with the tv and testing HDR Game mode the trick is to go into the options of the game you’re playing and adjust the brightness and HDR settings and that fixed the majority of games that were looking dark to me earlier. The only game that looks dim is madden and it’s also the only game that doesn’t have any brightness or HDR sliders. The deep blacks on these OLEDs are insane. Very difficult to go back to LEDs after this. Tomorrow I’ll mess with the PS4 pro and see if I encounter the same.

Glad it worked for you man. That's what I was suggesting before. I had bad crushed blacks when I first started playing Horizon Zero Dawn (first HDR game I tried). After messing with the sliders and other settings it looked perfect. Started God of War the other day, and it looks even better.

While I agree it's definitely the TV's fault, I still think it's worth trying to get EA to add the sliders, it may make the difference.
Artman22 likes this.
post #30312 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rama26285 View Post
I've recently purchased the C7 here in the UK and really liking it. I moved from a Samsung KS8000 due to the lack of support for current HDR standards (especially HLG in the BBC iPlayer and upcoming SkyQ). I have a couple questions about what is currently supported by the C7....

I notice the C8 supports HDR10 Pro (this is a new one to me) is there any support for this on the C7 or going to be?
I've read through a lot of this forum and there's mention of HDR by Technicolor - is this coming to the C7?

Thanks in advance
HDR10+ - No. They have stated as such. It is a Samsung created HDR tech (their arch-rival). They even went so far as to say that their built-in auto-metadata on normal HDR10 makes HDR10+ unecessary.

HDR10 Pro - Haven't heard of this, my guess is that it's some kind of sales speak for what I explained above. It's probably just slightly improved from the C7, but is probably only possible because of the more powerful processor in the C8.

Advanced HDR by Technicolor - Yes, this is specifically coming to the 2017 and up models.
post #30313 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
So, I watched the season finale of Westworld last night and while the picture looked great in most scenes, there were scenes like this that left me disappointed. I've also had this issue in PS4 games I've played as well. Is there any settings that will help with this:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Since LG, for whatever reason, doesn't have an HBO app I have to use the one on my Xbox One X. FYI - it is not set to game mode and the console is directly connected to the TV. I understand most of this probably has to do with the source(HBO) but I'm just wondering if there are any settings that will help smooth out this color banding(posterization)? I loaded this same scene up on my Sharp LED in the bedroom and didn't even notice it. I had to get right in front of the TV screen to barely make it out.
Yikes. That looks awful. I'm with everyone else, this looks like the quality auto-dropped to prevent buffering. I watched this episode just last night via the built-in amazon app and had zero issues.
post #30314 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 04.70.36 [.90-K] (FW Links Below) - REV. 3.2 - JAN. 22 18

Both B7 and C7 models should benefit from these settings. This is assuming that your panel’s performance / specs are fairly close to mine. Variances in panels may yield different results. For most of us, it should be very close. If the variance is less than 3%, you will enjoy an awesome SDR and HDR picture.

These are actual meter based calibration settings ( vs. disc based ) using a recently certified ( June 2017 ) Spectracal C6 meter, Murideo 6G pattern generator, and CalMan for Biz 2017.

SDR NOTES: With Rev. 3.2, I switched picture modes to technicolor Expert and have continued my focus on white balance, and as you will see, I have spent quite a bit more time adjusting the 20 point. This led to better color behavior so that the adjustments to the CMS are purely optional. On my particular panel, it helped with flesh tones. As you will see with the pre-calibration attachment, the technicolor Expert picture mode is extremely accurate.

HDR: Now using "technicolor Expert" with Dynamic Contrast set to "Low", Edge Enhancement set to "On" and Black Level set to "Low". I could not tell the difference between that setting and all the things I did with the Cinema (User) picture mode in the previous calibrations. I am really enjoying the PQ I'm getting without fussing with the CMS or 20 point White Balance.

DOLBY VISION: The most recent version of CalMan includes two DV workflows. The second “DV custom" workflow allows the calibrator to create a special file just for 2017 LG OLED’s, which is saved to a thumb drive and then loaded into the TV. Spectracal, Dolby, and LG worked very closely together to create this awesome workflow. It’s actually faster and easier to go through than an SDR calibration.
To install, you start out by playing DV content on the TV, and set the picture mode to "Cinema ( User )”. Next, plug in the thumb drive with the special file into the USB port on the side. The TV will prompt you and ask if you would like to install the file. Answer "Yes" and less than a second later ( it's a very small < 1K ) the file is loaded. If you answer "No", the original factory file is reloaded. And you are done. Eject the thumb drive and enjoy.

The DV “custom” workflow focuses on greyscale and once the 2 point and 20 point have been adjusted, Calman then creates the file ( plain text ) and the calibration session is complete. There are no other adjustments, and the CMS is left untouched. If you are interested in taking a closer look at this file, you should send me a private message with an email address so I can send to you.

Rev. 3.2 - Updated screenshots attached.

SDR Settings
SDR Picture Mode: “technicolor Expert”
Energy Saving: Off

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 49
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 48
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

WHITE BALANCE
Color Temperature: Warm2

Method: 2 Points
High - R: -5, G: 0, B: -1
Low - R: 0 G: -1, B: 0

Method: 20 Points
100 IRE, R: -6, G: -5, B: -7
90 IRE R: -9, G: -8, B: -11
80 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
70 IRE R: -5, G: -7, B: -8
60 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
50 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
40 IRE R: 1, G: -1, B: 3
30 IRE R: -3, G: -4, B: -2
20 IRE R: 3, G: 2, B: 1
10 IRE R: 5, G: 6, B: 4

COLOR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
RED - Sat: 0, Tint: 0, Lum: -1
GREEN - Sat: 0, Tint: 0, Lum: 2
BLUE - Sat: 2, Tint: 1, Lum: 5
CYAN - Sat: 2, Tint: 2, Lum: 2
MAGENTA - Sat: 2, Tint: 5, Lum: 0
YELLOW - Sat: 3, Tint: 0, Lum: -1

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

HDR10 Settings
HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 70 ( This will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. 70 seems to be a “happy" medium )
Contrast: 100
Color: 55

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )

WHITE BALANCE
High - R: -5, G: -3, B: 3
Low - R: 1 G: -1, B: -3

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

Dolby Vision Settings
DV Picture Mode: Cinema (User)

OLED Light: 70 (I have a medium bright room)
Contrast: 100
Color 50

NOTE: The below settings must be accompanied with the installation of the DV calibration file as explained above.

WHITE BALANCE
High - R: -3, G: 0, B: 1
Low - R: 5 G: 0, B: 0

Method: 20 Points
100 IRE R: 10, G: -18, B: -1
95 IRE R: 8, G: -13, B: 0
90 IRE R: 6, G: -11, B: 0
85 IRE R: 0, G: -10, B: 2
80 IRE R: 5, G: -9, B: 0
75 IRE R: 7, G: -6, B: -1
70 IRE R: 4, G: -9, B: -2
65 IRE R: 0, G: -8, B: -2
60 IRE R: 0, G: -6, B: -2
55 IRE R: 0, G: -6, B: -3
50 IRE R: 3, G: -3, B: -2
45 IRE R: 0, G: -5, B: -4
40 IRE R: 0, G: -4, B: -2
35 IRE R: 0, G: -4, B: -4
30 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
25 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
20 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
15 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
10 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
5 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0

Here's the links ( U.S. ) to download 4.70.36. These are big files ( 800+ megs ) and will take a while to download and also copy to a USB stick.

If you have a B7 55": http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED55B7P
or 65": http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B7P

If you have a C7 55": http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED55C7P
or 65": http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65C7P

( The above referenced files may be identical, but just in case. )

Enjoy. Feedback is welcome.
Any updates to this now that the latest firmware is released in the US?
post #30315 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
So, I watched the season finale of Westworld last night and while the picture looked great in most scenes, there were scenes like this that left me disappointed. I've also had this issue in PS4 games I've played as well. Is there any settings that will help with this:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Since LG, for whatever reason, doesn't have an HBO app I have to use the one on my Xbox One X. FYI - it is not set to game mode and the console is directly connected to the TV. I understand most of this probably has to do with the source(HBO) but I'm just wondering if there are any settings that will help smooth out this color banding(posterization)? I loaded this same scene up on my Sharp LED in the bedroom and didn't even notice it. I had to get right in front of the TV screen to barely make it out.
Yeah, this issue is due to HBO's compression and streaming which is more pronounced on the OLED and when upscaled to 4k. I stream almost all my content from the Apple TV onto my B7a, so I'm pretty familiar with the faults of each network. I would say HBO Go/Now is well below Netflix and Hulu for quality. Not as bad as some premium cable channels like FX are with streaming quality, but there is noticeable banding and compression artifacts, especially in dark scenes which every show they have seems to have. I just finished Big Little Lies, and saw similar artifacts. These artifacts where all over the content on my Vizio 1080p LED tv.

Of course, you can turn on MPEG noise reduction, but the issue is really a crap-in-crap-out scenario. As of now, the majority of premium and premium cable TV shows are best viewed purchased from iTunes, or when they hit an alternate platform, as the networks themselves are unable or unwilling to improve quality to keep up with the market.

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
post #30316 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Picture looks stunning. Grass is beautiful gorgeous natural green and all the skin tones and other colors are perfect. C7 flashed "HDR" when the playback started, and automatically switches to "Cinema (user)" calibrated picture mode. Really stunning.
Glad that it worked. Interesting that VLC wouldn't play it for you - I have a 1050 Ti and a LG 43' 4K monitor (doesn't have HDR, unfortunately) and VLC plays the file just fine - albeit, without HDR. MPV (https://mpv.io/installation/) is the successor to MPC-HC, and that was able to play the file back as well.

Someone else who asked for the file was going to try playing it back via the direct USB port. I'd be interested in hearing how that works, cheaper than buying an Oppo or dragging my desktop to the family room.
post #30317 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

Madden does have a brightness and contrast slider but it sucks and does not do a good job
post #30318 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathek View Post
Glad it worked for you man. That's what I was suggesting before. I had bad crushed blacks when I first started playing Horizon Zero Dawn (first HDR game I tried). After messing with the sliders and other settings it looked perfect. Started God of War the other day, and it looks even better.

While I agree it's definitely the TV's fault, I still think it's worth trying to get EA to add the sliders, it may make the difference.
Madden has a brightness and contrast slider but it does not work as other games do. It is more like an over exposed brightness which makes the tiles in the pause menu hard to read

It goes from default brightness which is fine to brighter and brightness which look overexposed..... I might just stick to no hdr for madden
post #30319 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rama26285 View Post

Thanks in advance

Pretty sure HDR10 Pro is just an LG marketing invention meaning HDR10 with dynamic metadata generated by the TV. Of course since the TV can do that, HDR10+ servers no purpose over HDR10. Pretty sure the C7 has that too even if the marketing people didn't give it a name. As for HDR10+ there is no content really so far, and it might die out. Who knows. I think Amazon is the only place that has anything.

Technicolor Advanced HDR was a feature of the C7 when released promised in a future firmware update, so if it hasn't arrived yet then LG better deliver it at some point.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #30320 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by theathlete View Post
I've been using the "Cinema" default with these tweaks from jbebel's chart:

I think I read somewhere that the presets are so good that they really only need minor tweaks in order for the picture to look very good. Honestly up until this day I have not once thought about the settings because everything has looked so good. Just the dark picture got me wondering.

I'll give those settings you linked a try and rewatch episode one!

I'll report back.

Edit: @lax01 did you do the "installation of the DV calibration file"? Correct me if I'm wrong but you first loaded that "calibration" file as per the procedure explained buy sonoftumble and then adjusted the settings as per his recommendation in the post you linked? Many thanks
No, I did not change the DV calibration file...I've read that requires actual calibration and you don't want to use those settings without actual calibration

Specifically mentioned here:
Quote:
The most recent version of CalMan includes two DV workflows. The second “DV custom" workflow allows the calibrator to create a special file just for 2017 LG OLED’s, which is saved to a thumb drive and then loaded into the TV. Spectracal, Dolby, and LG worked very closely together to create this awesome workflow. It’s actually faster and easier to go through than an SDR calibration.

Josh
post #30321 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quick question, is there any way to reboot the B7/C7? I don't want to restore it to the default settings. I am talking about rebooting/restarting it without losing my configurations/settings.

I am having an issue with it not connecting to my Express VPN Router, and normally restarting the device solves the issue. But if I turn it on or off( even when I disable Quick Launch) doesn't seem to make it reboot.
post #30322 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post
In HDR mode Dynamic Contrast on Low is absolutely fine if you need a brighter image, since that just enables the active HDR function and adjusts the tone-mapping curve to be a bit brighter. It's on Medium or High settings where the set is going off doing its own thing and is no longer accurate. It also doesn't look good as it tends to make the image a bit bleached out/desaturated.

No, the 7 series OLED sets have no active hdr during game mode.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #30323 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
So the games I played with HDR in my OLED are

COD WW2= Looks amazing due to the internal HDR and Brightness slider

Madden 19 Beta XBOX ONE X= Way to dim in the day and night games. Night games under the lights are too dark but the stadium lights do shine bright but in-game camera to dim

Ghost Recon Wildlands looks amazing as it is no in-game adjustments needed. Night can be too dark but night vision goggles help

Witcher 3 looks amazing after using the internal game gamma setting and raising it....

I will update this post when I do the next few games below

Assassins Creed Origins

Gears of War 4

State of Decay 2

NBA 2K 18

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Games without separate HDR brightness adjustments have problems. FarCry 5 and God of War both have adjustments including white point etc. you can dial it in really nicely.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #30324 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think Netflix has excellent DV content- Altered Carbon, Lost in Space, the Marvel shows etc...Amazon's HDR content for some reason does look a bit better- Electric Dreams in HDR looked better then any DV content on Netflix...not a night/day difference but slightly better colors and blacks

The camera system. Netflix requires all 4K content to be shot using 4K or higher resolution. Amazon does not require this and some camera systems may not be 4K but they capture a wider dynamic range and this allows for more information to color grade with.

post #30325 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6405 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed Farhat View Post
Quick question, is there any way to reboot the B7/C7? I don't want to restore it to the default settings. I am talking about rebooting/restarting it without losing my configurations/settings.

I am having an issue with it not connecting to my Express VPN Router, and normally restarting the device solves the issue. But if I turn it on or off( even when I disable Quick Launch) doesn't seem to make it reboot.
You can try a hard restart, unplug the set for a minute then plug it back in....
post #30326 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
Madden does have a brightness and contrast slider but it sucks and does not do a good job

Sounds like destiny 2. But with that game they over exaggerate the HDR effect when you are in a dark hall or cave and have a super bright doorway with light blazing in. The result is impressive contrast and very bright highlights but super dull shadows that get crushed. The same thing appears for me in SDR as well because they use that HDR lighting trick that’s been around forever. It simply makes the picture lose fine detail in many locations.

post #30327 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Color depth is set to 24bits per pixel(8-bit) and Color space is set to Standard.
Since the xb1x and the TV are true 10 bit devices why send the TV only 8 bits? Westworld is mastered in in 2k but also HDR10 which uses 10 bit color. That can cause color banding. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/technical
post #30328 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Since the xb1x and the TV are true 10 bit devices why send the TV only 8 bits? Westworld is mastered in in 2k but also HDR10 which uses 10 bit color. That can cause color banding. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/technical
I changed my settings to see if it would help reduce the effect per the suggestion of move4ward. I was getting the banding when I had the X1 set to 4k res. & 10 bit color.
post #30329 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You can try a hard restart, unplug the set for a minute then plug it back in....
Thanks. I was hoping for an easy way via the remote( like pressing the power key for 5 seconds or some combination of keys).
post #30330 of 35899 Old 06-27-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by forreal View Post
Go to settings: General > About This TV > TV Information > scroll down to the very bottom
Found WebOS version, serial number, etc but no DV version number. 65B7A.

I found it. I didn't go down far enough in the menu.

Last edited by MoInSTL; 06-27-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page