2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980315Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #30451 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,087
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked: 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
I searched but couldn't find anything myself. I too found the color tone to favor the cool side. Wasn't quite sure whats recommended in that mode, I don't need cinema accuracy but getting pretty close would be nice.



Someone please help! Lol


W45 in game mode is pretty close to warm2 if you use technicolor preset for a movie which is pretty accurate.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30452 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Especially the AppleTV 4K. I put a signal analyzer on my ATV 4K's HDMI port, and it is outputting 17.92Gb on DV playback. And now that it will have Atmos, pretty much most of the objections will have been addressed.

BEFORE THE ATV DOUBTER SQUAD STARTS CHIMING IN: I know that lossy Atmos isn't as "good" as lossless Atmos, but it's still better than 5.1 - and it would be interesting to do a blind taste test to see if anyone could tell the difference. LOL
I dont think it has anything to do with doubting, but not everyone will get an ATV, and streaming besides audio still has a little catching up to do in terms of pq...not too mention you have to constantly rely on your ISP.
bigzee3 likes this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #30453 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Member
 
Ruthfus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Slightly off topic question but hopefully someone here knows the answer.


I realized that the 55" C7P that I purchased last week was a bit small for the room.


I went back to upgrade to a 65" B7P (they had no C7s in stock anymore) but when I noticed that they were having a big sale and the 65" B8P was only $200 more I went with the newer model.
Also the B7P would take a week for delivery vs having the B8P today and my impatience got the better of me!



For all intents and purposes it seems like the B7P and the C7P last year were identical but have just realized upon arriving home that there are significant differences between the B8P and the C8P this year.


Have I made a mistake by buying the B8P instead of the B7P?


(primary purpose is for PS Pro and Netflix)
Ruthfus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30454 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 3578
^no.
Ph8te and golferdad50 like this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #30455 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,087
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked: 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthfus View Post
Slightly off topic question but hopefully someone here knows the answer.


I realized that the 55" C7P that I purchased last week was a bit small for the room.


I went back to upgrade to a 65" B7P (they had no C7s in stock anymore) but when I noticed that they were having a big sale and the 65" B8P was only $200 more I went with the newer model.
Also the B7P would take a week for delivery vs having the B8P today and my impatience got the better of me!



For all intents and purposes it seems like the B7P and the C7P last year were identical but have just realized upon arriving home that there are significant differences between the B8P and the C8P this year.


Have I made a mistake by buying the B8P instead of the B7P?


(primary purpose is for PS Pro and Netflix)


Nope the 8 series has a few features I’d like to have such as active hdr in game mode.
Cam1977 likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #30456 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingSalty View Post
Is there a particular reason you don’t have a Dolby Vision disc player? I know I would like your comparisons on Dolby Vision vs HDR10, both discs and streaming.
I will have an LG UPD970 in the next couple of weeks. Until recently, there weren't that many Blu-ray titles with DV metadata to get me all worked up about getting a new player. The other problem is that it's not all that easy to do a comparison unless I have two copies of everything; i.e. two identical UHD Blu-rays playing on two different players simultaneously, and switching back and forth between the HDR10 and DV versions. It will be interesting and probably more subjective than I would prefer. It's a good thing that our 7 series OLED's have Dynamic Contrast so I don't miss watching DV on disc all that much. LOL
StayingSalty likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30457 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I dont think it has anything to do with doubting, but not everyone will get an ATV, and streaming besides audio still has a little catching up to do in terms of pq...not too mention you have to constantly rely on your ISP.
Every time I mention something positive about the ATV 4K, I always get a "Yes but . . . . . . it's not as good as this or that."

I know that you are not part of that party, but that's why I decided to beat them to the punch.
Frazzler likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30458 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
robertw11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
W45 in game mode is pretty close to warm2 if you use technicolor preset for a movie which is pretty accurate.
Thank you, w45 looks better. I've been using ISF Dark for SDR tv and movies. Switch looks decent on the tv now.
cmdrdredd likes this.
robertw11 is offline  
post #30459 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 3578
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Every time I mention something positive about the ATV 4K, I always get a "Yes but . . . . . . it's not as good as this or that."

I know that you are not part of that party, but that's why I decided to beat them to the punch.
Just a little friendly ribbing😉
sonoftumble likes this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #30460 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
You are not streaming 17.92 Gbps. smh. That is just the HDMI bandwidth and it will be the same even if you playback 480p thru HDMI.
Where did I say I was streaming at those speeds? I said that the HDMI port was outputting at almost the full capacity of HDMI 2.0. And no, it will not be the same with 480 playback. First off the AppleTV 4K will not do less than 1080P, but if I use a 480P DVD on my Samsung K8500, the output from that player will be less that 1Gb. In fact a 1080P signal either Blu-ray or AppleTV @ 24fps, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, and 8 bit color depth will output around 2.2Gb. Not even close to 18Gb.
Frazzler likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30461 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I recently purchased the disc of "Saving Private Ryan" and I redeemed the digital copy and installed into iTunes. So now I have for comparison the HDR10 version - via my Samsung K8500 player - and the DV iTunes version. My initial impression is that the iTunes DV version is "grainier" than the HDR10 disc version. Both are very grainy to the extent that it looks embellished - almost like it was shot on 16mm film. I know SPR is supposed to have a gritty look, but I think there is some kind of processing going on. Admittedly, my observation is somewhat anecdotal because I think that the tone mapping is being applied differently between the two versions, and there may be some other factors. Overall, the sharpness appears to be roughly the same.

In general, if push comes to shove, I'm going to lean on the disc as the reference source, but the ATV 4K is very very close.
It really is close. Especially for films that really aren’t razor sharp in the first place, anything from a 2K DI, or a softer scan, or softer focused 4K material is for all intents an purposes 1:1 during normal viewing. Even at worse case scenarios when the ATV master is 75% as good as the disc, the price is generally half as much, so I’d consider that a win for consumers overall, even if I wish the quality was good enough to ditch discs altogether.

The grain issue is odd though, as I do think the Sony titles in particular as pushing it out through oversharpening to extract max detail. Although no 35mmprint has ever been as sharp as a Sony 4K disc, it just feels closer to how grain behaves under real projection. Some scenes of Blade Runner on Apple look more clunkily grainy vs the refinement of the UHD disc, if that’s what you’re referring to as “more grainy” almost a softness combined with the still obvious grain.

Meanwhile Apple has me constantly debating between purchasing films from them in DV or on disc in HDR10. For some titles I’ve already gone with Apple due to price, and equal enough quality, but the occasional DV black issue is still bugging me. It turned up tonight watching “Game Night” for about 1/4 of the frames; but I doubt Apple is to blame here.
meles and sonoftumble like this.

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
zombie.modernist is offline  
post #30462 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Freeze Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm watching The Last Jedi on Netflix. It's only in HD but at 17:10 in, there is color banding all over the background throughout that whole scene. Is everyone else getting the color banding too? Red background and color banding. I watch on technicolor expert with sonoftumbles settings and switched through all the different picture modes to see if I could get rid of it to no avail. So do I need to tweak something or is that just how it is? Also banding at 1:08:28-1:08:32.

Last edited by Freeze Time; 06-28-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Freeze Time is offline  
post #30463 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 10:09 PM
Member
 
Ruthfus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Nope the 8 series has a few features I’d like to have such as active hdr in game mode.
Thanks,


does the processor make much of a difference as far as you know?
Ruthfus is offline  
post #30464 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,208
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6511 Post(s)
Liked: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
We had exactly the same issue a couple months ago. Called LG Support and they sent a local technician who brought a new main board and a new power supply. He swapped out the main board, and viola! Back in business. The whole process took about 3 days from phone call to repair.
They can be very fast
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #30465 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Omni009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post
I'm watching The Last Jedi on Netflix. It's only in HD but at 17:10 in, there is color banding all over the background throughout that whole scene. Is everyone else getting the color banding too? Red background and color banding. I watch on technicolor expert with sonoftumbles settings and switched through all the different picture modes to see if I could get rid of it to no avail. So do I need to tweak something or is that just how it is? Also banding at 1:08:28-1:08:32.
I just check both my UHD disk and Netflix. It's the source. My disk doesn't show the kind of banding that netflix does there.
bigzee3 likes this.

Omni009 is offline  
post #30466 of 36146 Old 06-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Freeze Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I just check both my UHD disk and Netflix. It's the source. My disk doesn't show the kind of banding that netflix does there.

Thanks. So if I had the 4K disc or the digital copy, I wouldn't see any banding at all? Too bad Disney is not going to release any 4K movies until their own service launches. I wish all movies on Netflix that came out within the last couple of years were in 4K. Seems like it's only their original shows and TV shows that are in 4K or DV.
Freeze Time is offline  
post #30467 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtripleone View Post
What are you playing it from? A disc or the built in apps?
I use both but I can't find an Enhanced Mode anywhere in the settings.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #30468 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Omni009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post
Thanks. So if I had the 4K disc or the digital copy, I wouldn't see any banding at all? Too bad Disney is not going to release any 4K movies until their own service launches. I wish all movies on Netflix that came out within the last couple of years were in 4K. Seems like it's only their original shows and TV shows that are in 4K or DV.
I only checked the scene at 17:10 and I didn't see it. I'm sure the movie has some banding in it elsewhere. But as other have said, its not always the tv. Sometimes it's the source. It's just that these sets bring it out.

I remember reading about the opening of Planet Earth 2 in the shootout thread. The LG showed banding in the opening shot where as the Sony did not. But the Sony reference monitor DID show the same banding. It was in the source. The LG was just re-creating it.
cmdrdredd likes this.

Omni009 is offline  
post #30469 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post
I'm watching The Last Jedi on Netflix. It's only in HD but at 17:10 in, there is color banding all over the background throughout that whole scene. Is everyone else getting the color banding too? Red background and color banding. I watch on technicolor expert with sonoftumbles settings and switched through all the different picture modes to see if I could get rid of it to no avail. So do I need to tweak something or is that just how it is? Also banding at 1:08:28-1:08:32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze Time View Post
Thanks. So if I had the 4K disc or the digital copy, I wouldn't see any banding at all? Too bad Disney is not going to release any 4K movies until their own service launches. I wish all movies on Netflix that came out within the last couple of years were in 4K. Seems like it's only their original shows and TV shows that are in 4K or DV.
Disney wants an arm and a leg for their 4K/HDR/WCG (12 bit) content. The HD version is SDR/8 bit color which is why you see banding. There has been a silent battle going on between Apple and Disney regarding the pricing of their 4K/HDR/WCG content on iTunes. Apple wants to charge around $5.99 to rent - which is the same price that they charge for HD content. For a while you could rent the 4K/DV version on Vudu for $12.99, but now there's also only the HD/SDR versions available for rent @ $5.99. Again, as you mentioned, we have to wait for Disney's service to launch. It will be interesting to see how much they will try to squeeze out of us.
zombie.modernist likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30470 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
IMO, your sound system doesn't necessarily need Atmos to qualify as being "nice".
True , but Atmos literally adds a new dimension to the soundfield you experience and just like I will never go back to LED I will never go back to a totally floor anchored sound system. A well executed Atmos system has made a huge difference to my enjoyment of movies, much more so than HDR over SDR.
smurraybhm and sonoftumble like this.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #30471 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I will have an LG UPD970 in the next couple of weeks. Until recently, there weren't that many Blu-ray titles with DV metadata to get me all worked up about getting a new player. The other problem is that it's not all that easy to do a comparison unless I have two copies of everything; i.e. two identical UHD Blu-rays playing on two different players simultaneously, and switching back and forth between the HDR10 and DV versions. It will be interesting and probably more subjective than I would prefer. It's a good thing that our 7 series OLED's have Dynamic Contrast so I don't miss watching DV on disc all that much. LOL
Hi sonoftumble,
I would be interested to see if you experience the same issue with the LG970 as I , and a few others , do.
When the 970 is either powered up or in standby, but not actually playing a disc, I cannot get any sound over ARC. I have to turn the 970 off at the wall (and leave it off), restart the TV and the AVR (that the 970 is connected to) , presumably to re establish the handshake ,and then ARC works again.
I wonder if you can test this when you have your unit ?
EDIT: I should have made it clear that I am not wanting the 970 to play via ARC, that goes to the AVR over HDMI. I am talking about TV apps etc.
sonoftumble likes this.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 06-29-2018 at 10:55 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling of name.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #30472 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyes Rodriguez View Post
Hey guys, I'm moving soon and not sure how to move this tv? Any recommendations? I have the 65 inch and I really don't want to put it in the box because I've had to do it before and it was a real pain 😕 I just Really don't want to damage it in any way. It's Super Thin! Thanks guys.

Same situation here and I assume the safest is the original box.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
post #30473 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyes Rodriguez View Post
Hey guys, I'm moving soon and not sure how to move this tv? Any recommendations? I have the 65 inch and I really don't want to put it in the box because I've had to do it before and it was a real pain 😕 I just Really don't want to damage it in any way. It's Super Thin! Thanks guys.
I honestly feel that , despite it being a chore and a pain, your safest option is to put it back into it's box.
I assume a lot of thought was put into the design of the boxes to ensure that they stood a chance of keeping the TV safe and how would you feel if you damaged your TV for the sake of a bit of inconvenience ?
I think that is a question you need to ask yourself. And then use the box.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #30474 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 02:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Freeze Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I only checked the scene at 17:10 and I didn't see it. I'm sure the movie has some banding in it elsewhere. But as other have said, its not always the tv. Sometimes it's the source. It's just that these sets bring it out.

I remember reading about the opening of Planet Earth 2 in the shootout thread. The LG showed banding in the opening shot where as the Sony did not. But the Sony reference monitor DID show the same banding. It was in the source. The LG was just re-creating it.

Did you watch the whole time the red background was on screen from 17:10 onward? You saw no color banding whatsoever during the whole scene? What picture mode are you watching in? You saw it on netflix but not your 4K disc correct?
Freeze Time is offline  
post #30475 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 03:20 AM
Newbie
 
kromex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnalex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromex View Post
My 65C7 doesn’t turn on anymore. The red LED just flashes 2 to 3 times after pressing the power button. I’ve tried unplugging from the power outlet and leaving it a few minutes for resetting. It was purchased last October and only lightly used for less than 8 hours a week. Can anyone suggest anything?
We had exactly the same issue a couple months ago. Called LG Support and they sent a local technician who brought a new main board and a new power supply. He swapped out the main board, and viola! Back in business. The whole process took about 3 days from phone call to repair.

P.S. When I called support, they had me unplug the TV and hold the power button on the side for 10-20 seconds, which didn't have any effect, but you might give that a try before calling to save a step.
Service guy came over and I asked whether he has a lot of issues with these OLED models and he just kind of chuckled (usually not a good sign).

This is the 3rd time he’s been over. First time he was over was upon delivery. LG required their service personnel to open the box and turn on the TV. The first unit turned on but the image was all purple/green and he said bad screen. Second time a new unit was delivered and he came over to unbox it to power up and it was ok and worked for 8 months. Today is the third time he’s been over and now he’ll need to order a replacement board. This tells me the quality of these TV’s aren’t very good. Luckily I did buy a 2 year extended warranty from Sams Club but what happens after that? Do these TV’s only last a few years.
kromex is offline  
post #30476 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,643
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromex View Post
Service guy came over and I asked whether he has a lot of issues with these OLED models and he just kind of chuckled (usually not a good sign).

This is the 3rd time he’s been over. First time he was over was upon delivery. LG required their service personnel to open the box and turn on the TV. The first unit turned on but the image was all purple/green and he said bad screen. Second time a new unit was delivered and he came over to unbox it to power up and it was ok and worked for 8 months. Today is the third time he’s been over and now he’ll need to order a replacement board. This tells me the quality of these TV’s aren’t very good. Luckily I did buy a 2 year extended warranty from Sams Club but what happens after that? Do these TV’s only last a few years.

You may just have some really bad luck, but you might want to consider your power source as well. I haven't read where more than a few members (literally) had multiple displays replaced for mechanical failures, banding is a different story. QC across the board doesn't seem to be any different be it LG/Sony or Samsung on the LCD side. I've had two display with issues over the last 20 years - 1 Sony and the other a few months ago with a Samsung.
cathodeRay likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is online now  
post #30477 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 05:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is it possible for these sets to be updated to support HDMI 2.1 in the future? Or is it far fetched to expect something like that?
Valkyre is offline  
post #30478 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 05:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
Is it possible for these sets to be updated to support HDMI 2.1 in the future? Or is it far fetched to expect something like that?
No, significant hardware changes are necessary too.
cathodeRay is offline  
post #30479 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazytrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
An Oppo Beta software update is available that provides Dolby Vision support for Sony TVs. Oppo calls them TV-led and Player-led (the new profile for Sony) Dolby Vision options. The Player-led option also works with 2017 LG TVs. I have been checking it out on my B7A.

Oppo automatically detects DV. It can automatically detect which Dolby Vision profile to use for the TV. You can manually specify the profile to use for TVs like the LG that support both. The Oppo can even convert input to Dolby Vision output. I haven’t had reason to try this.
This is interesting. If the Oppo takes over control of the DV signal would it stop the TV from flashing up the "Dolby Vision" logo 6 times between inserting a disc and starting a movie?! (Which is kind of annoying)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 06-29-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Crazytrekker is offline  
post #30480 of 36146 Old 06-29-2018, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ruppgu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
IMO, your sound system doesn't necessarily need Atmos to qualify as being "nice".
Yeah good point. Even if you have a nice 5.1 system, you'll notice the downgrade from streaming. It's not just an Atmos system (which I highly recommend upgrading to if you have a nice 5.1 system )
alexbarbel likes this.
Ruppgu is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off