2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1027 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980232Likes

post #30781 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

Happy 4th of July everyone! Happy Birthday America!

Yeah man... hope everyone had a happy 4th. I haven't been here in a couple weeks and don't expect to be hanging out here as much as I used to... seems the forums are just full of bickering and complaints and when you're happy with your panel you don't fit well in the conversation.

That and I'm done dealing with the grammar police. I'm actually unfollowing this thread now. The blue ray reviews forum is pretty much my only interest now here at AVS.

Cheers.
Ricker62 and theathlete like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30782 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Hey it’s great that you found what you wanted and everything is working as you need. It’s nice when you an come to a great forum like this and not need any advice or guidance from a vast army of experts in such a short period of time. Enjoy your equipment and have a nice life
theathlete and TravisPNW like this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer LX-500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #30783 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 11:29 AM
G08

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi all! I am considering getting a B7A, I am not sure whether to go for the 55" or pay a little extra for the 65". I had read elsewhere that the 65" has more issues with picture quality -- can anyone confirm/deny? I'm going to try to read through this entire thread (1027 pages!) but if anyone that has a set would like to tell me their thoughts I would greatly appreciate it

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30784 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
I didn't read the others suggestions so apologize if this is a repeat. Have you tried unplugging all HDMI cables from the TV, then unplugging the TV for 10 minutes, then turning it on and plugging all your HDMI cables back in? Believe this was the steps recommended by LG after a firmware update and ARC issues.
Yeah. That was the first thing I tried. At this point, I've even reset the TV and AVR to factory settings to see if that made a difference. It didn't. It was soooo much fun re-entering my calibration points into the TV. lol.

I'm down to my last effort. I ordered some Certified Premium Monoprice HDMI cables and am hoping that they make a difference. I had so many HDMI cables that, at this point, it was impossible for me to tell which ones were newer and rated for 4K and which ones were older. Until HDMI 2.0, I never had any trouble. It isn't like HDCP has stopped piracy in the least, so needless to say I'm not a fan of how persnickety all of my new devices are.

If the new cables don't work, I'll just have to live without ARC, I guess.
post #30785 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by G08 View Post
Hi all! I am considering getting a B7A, I am not sure whether to go for the 55" or pay a little extra for the 65". I had read elsewhere that the 65" has more issues with picture quality -- can anyone confirm/deny? I'm going to try to read through this entire thread (1027 pages!) but if anyone that has a set would like to tell me their thoughts I would greatly appreciate it

Cheers!
Go with the 65". Absolutely.
G08, sonoftumble and DrBrFrJr like this.

post #30786 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevleviathan View Post
Following up on a question I asked a few pages back.

I noticed on my 65C7 that the white menu highlights (such as when you're choosing a picture mode) cause dark ghost streaks to show up across the screen when shown on top of dark (5/10% grey) screens. I made a quick test pattern to illustrate this and captured it with my phone. This is actually a screen grab from a video - in the pattern I made the top white element move, and you can see the trailing "ghost" line follow it perfectly as it moves.

So my question is - does anyone else see this or is something wrong with my set? It's *really* not noticeable except when using the menus and in artificial situations like this one. But I've never seen it mentioned before.
I've seen that effect as well, but only ever once on actual content. I also assume it's something to do with the way the panels are manufactured.
post #30787 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:

Cheers!
Although you might, in theory, expect more uniformity issues on the larger screen i would go for the 65 without hesitation.
i have a 65B7 (UK model) and could not be happier. My panel is fantastic and the only issue I have ever really had was a very rare bit of motion stutter but I reckon that is not size related. I don't see banding and I don't see any colour variations across the panel, it is very uniform. I have perhaps been fortunate.
I came from a 55 LED and the extra size makes an appreciable difference to me.
Good luck.
G08 likes this.

LG 65B7V - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #30788 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Cheers!
My advice is to go for the 65", bigger is better. We went from a 52" LCD to a 65C7P and couldn't be happier. We have had zero issues with ours.
G08 and sonoftumble like this.
post #30789 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Need some help: I have a Denon x3400h Receiver, was using it with a Panny VT50, but decided to upgrade my TV a year earlier than expected to an LG B7A 65” OLED that I got a crazy good deal on (open box, but never used; TV bag and accessories were sealed... literally someone just opened the box then resealed it + it came from an authorized seller ).
Anyway, with the VT50, when turning everything on, it would default to the Cable/Xbox One X input and switch to “TV/Arc” when using TV apps, then switch back when exiting. The LG does the latter two, however, when turning everything on it switches the receiver to the TV Audio input for some reason (I’m guessing the TV is sending some type of ARC audio signal upon being powered on that’s causing the switch). The OLED does default to and switches the receiver back to the correct Cable/Xbone One X/HDMI-1 input if I go to change a setting or "add a device" to the magic-remote functionality.

I know I can disable the TVs ability to switch receiver inputs (or the x3400h’s auto-switching when receiving a signal from the TV via optical or ARC), but then I’d lose the auto switching when using the TVs built-in apps, which I do not want to happen, as constantly switching the inputs back and forth would be much worse (I'll be using the built-in apps a lot due to my XboneX & PS4 Pros lack of HDR10 support for many 4k apps, as well as the lack of Dolby Vision support. ie: YouTube on XboneX does 4k but does not support HDR yet, in the case of Netflix, the XboneX app enables HDR for everything, so non-HDR content looks like poo).
post #30790 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:

Cheers!
I would go with the 65 but yes, the 65 typically have worse uniformity than the 55's. Many people claim to not have major issues but the 2017's are actually pretty bad when it comes to uniformity. I'm trying to get LG to replace mine. I see mine in content. LG is doing their best to avoid issue. If I didn't have one yet... I would spend the extra money on the 2018's because they look better (still have uniformity issues but not as bad).

That said, I don't want to freak you out. Some people can't see the issue as much and some people get better panels. I wish someone would have let me know it was a possible issue before I bought mine though.
post #30791 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Screen issue

I have been following the thread on banding. And I may not be the best source to make a suggestion. But, I had to have my lg c7p replaced because of a rectangle in the center when viewing a full red screen would display. I found that if the screen does not cool down completely in the manufacturing process it will create this issue. I am not saying this is the issue, but I will bring it up. You guys are very smart and knowledgeable. I personally have found out that I have enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not always understanding of the issues. That being said. And I am a bit wordy (Sorry). The fix to the problem according to Rtings.com was to have an LG Tech come out and run a program to set the display panel again correctly. What you have may not be this, but I feel I should mention this just in case. I apologize if I am out of line on this. Rtings.com does state it only effects 55 inch lg c7. But, this is a thought. I cannot post the link so.... I'll have to give you some hints. Search for this in youtube.
Factory Defect & Fix - OLED Burn in Test Update Week 10 - Rtings.com

P.S. I thought very hard before sending this as I didn't want too look too stupid.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #30792 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekzapoppin View Post
Yeah. That was the first thing I tried. At this point, I've even reset the TV and AVR to factory settings to see if that made a difference. It didn't. It was soooo much fun re-entering my calibration points into the TV. lol.

I'm down to my last effort. I ordered some Certified Premium Monoprice HDMI cables and am hoping that they make a difference. I had so many HDMI cables that, at this point, it was impossible for me to tell which ones were newer and rated for 4K and which ones were older. Until HDMI 2.0, I never had any trouble. It isn't like HDCP has stopped piracy in the least, so needless to say I'm not a fan of how persnickety all of my new devices are.

If the new cables don't work, I'll just have to live without ARC, I guess.
ARC is inherently unstable. I finally gave up and went in a different direction. I have a distribution amp which allows me to split the HDMI signal from an external source ( AppleTV 4K ) to 2 HDMI outputs. One output goes straight to the TV at full 4K/HDR/DV, and the other goes straight to my AVR for audio, especially Atmos. My AVR was great with HDR10 but couldn't pass DV, and then there was ARC.

Happy camper once again.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #30793 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
ARC is inherently unstable. I finally gave up and went in a different direction. I have a distribution amp which allows me to split the HDMI signal from an external source ( AppleTV 4K ) to 2 HDMI outputs. One output goes straight to the TV at full 4K/HDR/DV, and the other goes straight to my AVR for audio, especially Atmos. My AVR was great with HDR10 but couldn't pass DV, and then there was ARC.

Happy camper once again.
ARC, even with Certified Premium cables, can be difficult.

I run everything HDMI to my AVR for switching, then to the OLED via ARC. I could not get audio from the built in apps on the 65C7P, did everything short of standing on my head, but no luck. Then on my last attempt, it worked! All my last attempt amounted to was unplugging and re-plugging the ARC cable between the AVR and the TV. Prior to that I had even swapped the Monoprice cable with one from BJC, but it didn't work any better than the Monoprice for the missing TV app audio. It was when I finally put the Monoprice back in place that the issue went away, and I now have the audio from the built in apps. I'm not sure why I did that, since it had not worked previously, but maybe it was a situation where I failed to properly seat the cable, I dunno. Personally, I think that was unlikely, and the whole scenario was being orchestrated by voodoo.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #30794 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Happy camper once again.
I almost agree. I would say ARC is inherently unstable with LG. I noticed you have a Vizio in your sig. My retired Vizio M was rock solid using ARC. Never even a hiccup. Edit: I left out the most important part. It was very easy and straight forward to set up. I spent hours and hours getting my B7A to play nice. I almost gave up. Knock on wood, it's been working for a few months, but I have never had such a battle with ARC. Getting the Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter solved the over eager issue to turn on my UHD player every time I touched the magic remote. That in itself was frustrating but had a cheap, easy solution.
sonoftumble likes this.

Last edited by MoInSTL; 07-05-2018 at 03:14 PM.
post #30795 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
I almost agree. I would say ARC is inherently unstable with LG. I noticed you have a Vizio in your sig. My retired Vizio M was rock solid using ARC. Never even a hiccup. Edit: I left out the most important part. It was very easy and straight forward to set up. I spent hours and hours getting my B7A to play nice. I almost gave up. Knock on wood, it's been working for a few months, but I have never had such a battle with ARC. Getting the Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter solved the over eager issue to turn on my UHD player every time I touched the magic remote. That in itself was frustrating but had a cheap, easy solution.
Thanks for the info on the Lindy. You are absolutely right, when my Vizio was the top dog in the man cave, ARC worked flawlessly and was very easy to set up.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #30796 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

Cheers!
If you are in the USA, you might as well get the 2018 models. No use paying the same money for an older model, unless you were going with 2016 OLED for 3D.
DrBrFrJr likes this.

Last edited by move4ward; 07-05-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #30797 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The more I play games on my b7a over my q8fn the more I am loving the hdr game mode. Yes my qfn 8 series is brighter but playing games like God of War or Ghost Recon Wildlands on the Xbox One X enhanced with HDR makes me appreciate the beautiful highlights more than on the Sammy due to standing out more and looking amazing.

As time goes by and more devs implement hdr brightness and contrast sliders in game for all games and not just a few the more the LG OLED tone mapping is going to shine over the rest.
post #30798 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 3799
so now that it's been out for a little bit, what the final verdict on the latest USA firmware (04.71.00)?...did it fix the Dolby Vision issue?...is it the same quality as the Korean firmware?
post #30799 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6281 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
so now that it's been out for a little bit, what the final verdict on the latest USA firmware (04.71.00)?...did it fix the Dolby Vision issue?...is it the same quality as the Korean firmware?

I don’t know where that info came from. The only person I saw posting about it was that one user. I didn’t have the Korean version, but for me this far it’s fixed the couple errors I see in the past. There is one (Mute intro) that still has the error, but I haven’t seen it elsewhere yet. I don’t think this one will be the final fix, but you may want to wait for there to chime in.
post #30800 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I don’t know where that info came from. The only person I saw posting about it was that one user. I didn’t have the Korean version, but for me this far it’s fixed the couple errors I see in the past. There is one (Mute intro) that still has the error, but I haven’t seen it elsewhere yet. I don’t think this one will be the final fix, but you may want to wait for there to chime in.
when 04.71.00 first came out I remember there was one guy on here advising people to stick with the Korean firmware as the US version didn't completely fix the DV issue...now that everyone has been using it for awhile I thought that more opinions/evaluations would be out...
post #30801 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
when 04.71.00 first came out I remember there was one guy on here advising people to stick with the Korean firmware as the US version didn't completely fix the DV issue...now that everyone has been using it for awhile I thought that more opinions/evaluations would be out...

That’s the only guy/posts I saw referring to that as well. It’s not completely fixed, but it’s fo sure an improvement (IMO).
TitusTroy and sonoftumble like this.
post #30802 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:

Cheers!
Can you get a 65" for "a little extra" over a 55"? The LG "promotional" price for the 55 is $1.5k. For the 65, $2.5k. (For the C8, $2.3k and $3.2k.) The C8 is supposed to have improved uniformity over the B7, plus a better video processor. Whether that'd be worth an extra $700-800 to you, you'll have to decide.

(These are not "street" prices; they're from the LG website.)
G08 likes this.
post #30803 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s the only guy/posts I saw referring to that as well. It’s not completely fixed, but it’s fo sure an improvement (IMO).
but the Korean firmware seems to have completely fixed the issue...so it looks like that might still be the 'best' firmware to use at the moment
post #30804 of 35901 Old 07-05-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
but the Korean firmware seems to have completely fixed the issue...so it looks like that might still be the 'best' firmware to use at the moment

I don’t know if that’s true at all. We’d need someone still with the Korean to test Mute and other known problem areas. I’ve o my seen one poster say there was a regression and from what little I’ve read the Korean fixed most of the issues, but still isn’t a fix all.
post #30805 of 35901 Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 AM
dni

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

could you please tell me how i can control my Technics SADA10 AVR's (connected with optical audio cable) volume with the B7's Magic Remote? I've managed to setup to turn the avr on or off, but i don't know how i can control volume or select input.

LG OLED55B7, Technics DA-10, Triangle Esprit Comete Ez, Intel Skylake HTPC, Harmony 650,
JVC DLA X3, Onkyo TX-NR809, B&W CDM-7SE, CMC SE DM-305, JBL PSW-1000, Intel Skylake HTPC, Lite-On iHOS104, Synology DS415+ 4*4TB
post #30806 of 35901 Old 07-06-2018, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork3245 View Post
Need some help: I have a Denon x3400h Receiver, was using it with a Panny VT50, but decided to upgrade my TV a year earlier than expected to an LG B7A 65” OLED that I got a crazy good deal on (open box, but never used; TV bag and accessories were sealed... literally someone just opened the box then resealed it + it came from an authorized seller ).
Anyway, with the VT50, when turning everything on, it would default to the Cable/Xbox One X input and switch to “TV/Arc” when using TV apps, then switch back when exiting. The LG does the latter two, however, when turning everything on it switches the receiver to the TV Audio input for some reason (I’m guessing the TV is sending some type of ARC audio signal upon being powered on that’s causing the switch). The OLED does default to and switches the receiver back to the correct Cable/Xbone One X/HDMI-1 input if I go to change a setting or "add a device" to the magic-remote functionality.

I know I can disable the TVs ability to switch receiver inputs (or the x3400h’s auto-switching when receiving a signal from the TV via optical or ARC), but then I’d lose the auto switching when using the TVs built-in apps, which I do not want to happen, as constantly switching the inputs back and forth would be much worse (I'll be using the built-in apps a lot due to my XboneX & PS4 Pros lack of HDR10 support for many 4k apps, as well as the lack of Dolby Vision support. ie: YouTube on XboneX does 4k but does not support HDR yet, in the case of Netflix, the XboneX app enables HDR for everything, so non-HDR content looks like poo).
Nothing you can do to stop the TV Audio change. Got the same issue. When I turn the TV on, I just use the Magic Remote to change the inputs. The switching works good after that. I learned just to live with it.

A new problem just began. I’ll be watching my Cable Box and for no reason, it changes my Yamaha Receiver to the TV Audio input. I was hoping the latest firmware update would fix this, but no luck.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #30807 of 35901 Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Hey it’s great that you found what you wanted and everything is working as you need. It’s nice when you an come to a great forum like this and not need any advice or guidance from a vast army of experts in such a short period of time. Enjoy your equipment and have a nice life
Yes indeed......

Quote:
Cheers!
There where no studies done to say which unit has less issues. Buy the size you want, better do it fast as 2017 models are almost gone......

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If you are in the USA, you might as well get the 2018 models. No use paying the same money for an older model, unless you were going with 2016 OLED for 3D.
I agree, to many advantages on the new C8, E8 units......
william06 and move4ward like this.
post #30808 of 35901 Old 07-06-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The "Korean" version is more or less a "Universal" release for most LG models, with the exception of the European SKU's.

04.71.00 is a sequential revision to 04.70.90, and the same engineers coded both versions. The change log indicates that TCP/IP v.6 was disabled temporarily - and that's it. So there's obviously another update coming. When? I don't know.

@Travis299 ( Thank you! ) was able to extract the version info before he updated to 04.71.00 - and also afterwords; and as you will see - it still has the same version of Dolby Vision as 04.70.90.

So we should not be seeing ANY difference in DV PQ between 4.70.90 and 4.71.00 - and anyone who is claiming regression or other such nonsense was/is perhaps looking for flaws that they didn't look for with the Korean version.

So we have something to look forward to. Hopefully the DV bug fix Unicorn will be spotted soon!!

SW Version 04.70.90
webOS Version 3.7.1-57125 (dreadlocks2-drto)
Dolby Vision 1.4.4_07.01

SW Version 04.71.00
webOS Version 3.7.1-57127 (dreadlocks2-drto)
Dolby Vision 1.4.4_07.01
TitusTroy likes this.

post #30809 of 35901 Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2294 Post(s)
Liked: 3131
Please share the "many" advantages. Nits are the same, banding is "improved, "but its still crap in crap out which is okay/expected. A good source into a 2017 is going to look pretty damn good. No one really knows what the Alpha 9 brings to the table ex improved processing (banding, but C8 owners still complain) and a little speedier load times on apps. Tying processing together with noise reduction was a mistake that one hopes can be changed with an update. Uniformity appears to be better, but its still early. Not feeling the need to go from a B/C7 to C8 - my panel looks pretty good - short of deciding to gift my display to a family member.

So if you've got a B7/C7 panel that has good uniformity (remember nothing is perfect) and tend to watch or stream decent sources then they aren't really any advantages. If LG had gotten to 1,000 nits this year then we all might be jumping, ex the HDMI 2.1 elephant in the room.
TitusTroy and sonoftumble like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #30810 of 35901 Old 07-06-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Please share the "many" advantages. Nits are the same, banding is "improved, "but its still crap in crap out which is okay/expected. A good source into a 2017 is going to look pretty damn good. No one really knows what the Alpha 9 brings to the table ex improved processing (banding, but C8 owners still complain) and a little speedier load times on apps. Tying processing together with noise reduction was a mistake that one hopes can be changed with an update. Uniformity appears to be better, but its still early. Not feeling the need to go from a B/C7 to C8 - my panel looks pretty good - short of deciding to gift my display to a family member.

So if you've got a B7/C7 panel that has good uniformity (remember nothing is perfect) and tend to watch or stream decent sources then they aren't really any advantages. If LG had gotten to 1,000 nits this year then we all might be jumping, ex the HDMI 2.1 elephant in the room.
David Katzmaier of CNET agrees . . .

"Anybody who bought a 2017 OLED TV can rest assured that the newest version isn't significantly better (and has an uglier stand). For anybody who wants to save money by getting a 2017 OLED TV on closeout now, rather than waiting until this fall for the C8 to drop in price, consider this review a green light."
bigzee3 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page