2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1032 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980771Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #30931 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,114
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Yes, admittedly this is my first Apple device of any kind. I certainly see the allure to the ATV for those firmly entrenched in the Apple eco system.
The person that asked the question asked about tangible benefits of the device. That is the perspective from which I answered.
I assumed that the OP already has an LG OLED, as they are posting here. From that perspective I just don't see the tangible benefits of getting an ATV 4K... unless it supports a service that is needed and the LG does not support it. Even then, there are usually other less expensive yet comparable options available.


I know that for those dyed in the wool Apple fanatics this is blasphemy, but it is my unbiased opinion.


It’s not the apps or what it does that is the benefit. It’s that the iTunes Store combined with your movies anywhere account gives free updates to UHD HDR versions of movies you own in HD. In addition to this iTunes on the Apple TV 4K has movies in UHD that are unavailable anywhere else. Amazon, Netflix, Vudu and other apps on the TV do the same job as the Apple TV does with very little difference. If all you watch is Netflix, YouTube, and amazon prime then there is probably zero benefit at all.
Omni009, Culpepper and sonoftumble like this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30932 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
jk246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
It’s not the apps or what it does that is the benefit. It’s that the iTunes Store combined with your movies anywhere account gives free updates to UHD HDR versions of movies you own in HD. In addition to this iTunes on the Apple TV 4K has movies in UHD that are unavailable anywhere else. Amazon, Netflix, Vudu and other apps on the TV do the same job as the Apple TV does with very little difference. If all you watch is Netflix, YouTube, and amazon prime then there is probably zero benefit at all.
Pardon me, can anyone tell me where I can find the 2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread? I must have stumble into the AppleTV 4K Owners Thread by accident....
jk246 is offline  
post #30933 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,114
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
Pardon me, can anyone tell me where I can find the 2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread? I must have stumble into the AppleTV 4K Owners Thread by accident....


Comparing the Tv apps to external devices is not off topic. Sorry we interrupted the “my tv has banding, it sucks” complaints

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30934 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
@sonoftumble , have you tried connecting your iTunes account to movies anywhere? Apparently, connecting your iTunes account, Vudu, Google Movies, and Amazon allows you to watch Vudu movies via iTunes: https://moviesanywhere.com/welcome

Unfortunately, I am in Canada and don't have access to movies anywhere.

I love my apple tv from the Directv Now deal. I'm slowly building my 4k iTunes movie library.
Yes. I am all interconnected/interlicensed ( lol ) and it works great except for some titles such as Blade Runner 2049, Coco and a few others which will only play on the Vudu app. I believe it's an Ultraviolet exclusive/contract thing. The Movies Anywhere app itself does not have any UHD/HDR content, so I definitely like going to iTunes where I have access to that big library!

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 07-08-2018 at 07:01 PM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30935 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,114
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Yes. I am all interconnected/interlicensed ( lol ) and it works great except for some titles such as Blade Runner 2049, Coco and a few others which will only play on the Vudu app. I believe it's an Ultraviolet exclusive thing. The Movies Anywhere app does not have any UHD/HDR content.


Apple and Disney have a disagreement that prevents Disney movies from playing in UHD on iTunes. Apple wants UHD movies to cost the same as HD and Disney wants to charge more. This includes Pixar, Marvel, Star-Wars. Anyway Disney is going to try bringing out their own streaming service eventually and I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop out of movies anywhere to try to force you into their ecosystem and also make it so their digital codes don’t redeem in UHD anymore.
audit13 and sonoftumble like this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #30936 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
jk246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Comparing the Tv apps to external devices is not off topic. Sorry we interrupted the “my tv has banding, it sucks” complaints
That's true when it happens, but there's post after post after post where LG is not even mentioned, only Apple.
mjwagner, ataneruo and Ricker62 like this.
jk246 is offline  
post #30937 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
That's true when it happens, but there's post after post after post where LG is not even mentioned, only Apple.
We're talking about the AppleTV 4K. Arguably one of the best external streamers ( if not THEE BEST ) on the market. Comparing PQ of that to internal apps is definitely on topic.

Now, if we were talking about Macs and iPads . . . . you might have a point.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30938 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,115
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7509 Post(s)
Liked: 7540
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #30939 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
We're talking about the AppleTV 4K. Arguably one of the best external streamers ( if not THEE BEST ) on the market. Comparing PQ of that to internal apps is definitely on topic.

Now, if we were talking about Macs and iPads . . . . you might have a point.
If you want to talk about how great the ATV 4k is guess what...there is a thread for that...go there and have at it.
ataneruo, bigzee3 and Ricker62 like this.

Mark
mjwagner is online now  
post #30940 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
^^^ Does the Apple TV allow third party apps?
Only a couple of thousand or so . . . plus games.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30941 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Apple and Disney have a disagreement that prevents Disney movies from playing in UHD on iTunes. Apple wants UHD movies to cost the same as HD and Disney wants to charge more. This includes Pixar, Marvel, Star-Wars. Anyway Disney is going to try bringing out their own streaming service eventually and I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop out of movies anywhere to try to force you into their ecosystem and also make it so their digital codes don’t redeem in UHD anymore.
Disney owns Movies Anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
nathan_h likes this.
ThierryXN is offline  
post #30942 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
If you want to talk about how great the ATV 4k is guess what...there is a thread for that...go there and have at it.
If it bothers you, simply unsubscribe. We've already beaten all the other horses to death. If it wasn't for the ATV discussions, this thread would have been a ghost town today.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30943 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,114
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThierryXN View Post
Disney owns Movies Anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk


They are building a new service. It has been known for a while. It may be tied to movies anywhere but Movies anywhere does not have a storefront or UHD support. This is probably coming with a new app.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 07-08-2018 at 08:09 PM.
cmdrdredd is offline  
post #30944 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
They are building a different service. It has been known for a while.
Yes, they are building their own streaming service. But I don't think the streaming service will make them pull out of the universal movie locker (having your purchases, which is the key point that makes this unaffected by the streaming service, from partnered stores be integrated in one platform) that they themselves built and own.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ThierryXN is offline  
post #30945 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
jk246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
We're talking about the AppleTV 4K. Arguably one of the best external streamers ( if not THEE BEST ) on the market. Comparing PQ of that to internal apps is definitely on topic.

Now, if we were talking about Macs and iPads . . . . you might have a point.
As I said, many of these posts have nothing at all to say about comparing Apples apps to the LG internal apps, they've been about the AppleTV alone, so I do have a point. I could cut and paste all the conversations here, but policing the thread is not my job, that's for the mod. This is an LG thread, and when I come here and talk about LG issues, including "banding" on 2017 LG C7-B7 TVs cmdrdredd, it's what this forum is for.

Last edited by jk246; 07-08-2018 at 08:21 PM.
jk246 is offline  
post #30946 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Member
 
the8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I assumed that the OP already has an LG OLED, as they are posting here. From that perspective I just don't see the tangible benefits of getting an ATV 4K... unless it supports a service that is needed and the LG does not support it. Even then, there are usually other less expensive yet comparable options available.

I'm sure that everyone has their own rationale for pairing their LG's with an ATV4K, but here's just one example of what I would definitely consider a tangible benefit over the LG- the ability to stream Dolby Vision and now Atmos simultaneously because my soundbar won't accept atmos over arc. Granted, this is my own specific setup that requires this solution but I am sure others have other reasons. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but is there another streaming device that can accomplish this? Maybe the Chromecast Ultra; which may well be less expensive, as you implied, but is it really comparable?
sonoftumble likes this.
the8ter is online now  
post #30947 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Christcorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
It’s already been said quite correctly. If all you watch is Netflix, Hulu, amazon, and the likes, then the built in apps of the LG OLED are fine. Albeit in my opinion not the best quality compared to the media streamers. And definitely not the best audio, being the internal apps can only get their audio out either through the ARC or optical. Media streamers go straight to your avr if you have one, and the audio will be better.

Now, having said that, if you’re looking for the best media streamer to pair up with your LG OLED, it’s obviously between the Apple TV 4K and the Roku Ultra. Both have their pros and cons. Roku is pretty much the industry standard, and all the apps you can imagine pretty much are there. But, Roku lack Dolby vision but does have Atmos. ATV4K has Dolby vision, but it doesn’t have Atmos, yet. It is suppose to get it this fall. ATV4K can sync with your iTunes, has the ability to get other media as well as your existing iTunes library and such. The Roku has very reliable HDR on certain apps like Netflix. The list is endless. Some will say the Roku is better, and some will say the ATV4K is the best. Definitely go to those forums to figure out what’s best for you. But if you want to maximize your LG OLED tv beyond the limitations of the internal apps, then yes, you need to get a media streamer like the Roku Ultra or ATV4K. If you’re content with the picture and audio quality of the LG OLED TVs internal apps, and don’t need more or better quality, then save your money and enjoy your tv.

In the end, it’s all about if you’re happy with your tv. If you really like the picture, then you DON’T need to get it calibrated. Don’t ever let anyone tell you you’re tv isn’t set up the way it’s SUPPOSED to look. If you like the picture and are happy with it, then it IS set up the way it’s SUPPOSED to look. If you watch the basic apps, and they are included in the TVs internal selection, and that’s all you care for, then that’s what you should have. Don’t let anyone tell you you should, must, need, etc. a Roku or ATV4K. You don’t. If you play an app, blue ray, cable, satellite, etc. and use the internal speakers or a sound bar, and you are enjoying it, then don’t let anyone tell you you should, must, need, etc. an audio/video receiver and a 5.1, 7.2, or Atmos setup. You don’t.

Is a media streamer better than the internal apps? Yes. Why? Many reasons. Is an avr better than the internal speakers or a sound bar? Yes. Why? Many reasons. You need to decide if what you have makes you happy and content, or if you want more. If you are content, then enjoy. If you want more, go to the appropriate forum for avr, media streamer, UHD blue ray players, etc. and determine what’s best for you.

But remember..... there is no end game of what is right or best. Is my 5.1.2 Atmos setup the best? For me..... and the room I have to work with..... and the amount of money I want to spend. it is the best. Some people have their OLED tv and simply use it to watch cable or satellite and dvds. That’s good enough for them. Some spent the money on an OLED tv and their main use it to play games. That’s good enough for them. Some want to totally cut the cord from cable or satellite and don’t like going to the theater to watch a movie. So for them, they add to their OLED tv an AVR, a media streamer, a 4K blue ray player, 5.2.2 or 7.2.2 speaker system. And that’s good enough for them. In the end, YOU have to decide what is good enough for you. Don’t let anyone else tell you what you need or should have. Then go to the appropriate forum and educate yourself.

Best of luck, and most importantly, ENJOY your tv.
BPlayer, towerboy, G08 and 3 others like this.

.
Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Christcorp is offline  
post #30948 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Comparing the Tv apps to external devices is not off topic. Sorry we interrupted the “my tv has banding, it sucks” complaints
That's true when it happens, but there's post after post after post where LG is not even mentioned, only Apple.
I'm interested in this topic that will probably help me choose what is best for my 65 b7a and 55 c7. How is this not on topic? It directly relates to my televisions' performance. I'm also thinking about throwing some speakers in my ceiling so i should ask what receivers work well with these tv's that are under $1k. That i can buy now or wait and get something better. That would be an awesome discussion.
yogi6807 is offline  
post #30949 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,848
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)
Liked: 4084
^most receivers work quite well with these...I previously had my C7 paired with a yamaha RX-V681 and worked flawless, granted not top of the line but did its job.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #30950 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
This is an LG thread, and when I come here and talk about LG issues, including "banding" on 2017 LG C7-B7 TVs cmdrdredd, it's what this forum is for.
By all means post something. No one was prohibited from posting rehashed comments. There's no setting in this thread that says: "We only talk about vertical banding on Monday's, or only AppleTV on Sundays." There just isn't much left to post - especially being that our TV's are now out of production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christcorp View Post
But, Roku lack Dolby vision but does have Atmos. ATV4K has Dolby vision, but it doesn’t have Atmos, yet.
Actually, it's got it now with the public beta. I just watched "Sulley" on the ATV 4K Vudu app and when it started to play I got the attached on my screen . . .

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30951 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8ter View Post
I'm sure that everyone has their own rationale for pairing their LG's with an ATV4K, but here's just one example of what I would definitely consider a tangible benefit over the LG- the ability to stream Dolby Vision and now Atmos simultaneously because my soundbar won't accept atmos over arc. Granted, this is my own specific setup that requires this solution but I am sure others have other reasons. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but is there another streaming device that can accomplish this? Maybe the Chromecast Ultra; which may well be less expensive, as you implied, but is it really comparable?
The ATV 4K is the only streamer on the market that does it all . . . 4K / HDR / DV / Atmos . . . with support for all the major third party streaming services, plus the incomparable iTunes movie store.
Cam1977 and DrBrFrJr like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30952 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,848
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)
Liked: 4084
^lol I'm starting to like the idea of ATV, if it converts regular movies to HDR10/DV...that would be great...especially to take more advantage of DV on these sets.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #30953 of 37289 Old 07-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
jk246's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
I'm interested in this topic that will probably help me choose what is best for my 65 b7a and 55 c7. How is this not on topic? It directly relates to my televisions' performance. I'm also thinking about throwing some speakers in my ceiling so i should ask what receivers work well with these tv's that are under $1k. That i can buy now or wait and get something better. That would be an awesome discussion.
Now you brought up a very important point that I've failed to consider before yogi- just how important it is to pair your speakers with your make and model of TV... you don't want to buy speakers that pair well with a Samsung TV if you have an LG OLED- that could sound awful!!! I think a discussion about speaker pairing is a good idea too, yogi. I'm really worried now though, because I bought my AVR before I got my OLED, and I never bothered to check see if they paired well together. I may have made a critical and expensive mistake in doing that, one that I'll may regret for a long, long time to come. What kind of AVR do you guys think I should buy that will pair well with a 2017 LG OLED 65" TV? Thank you for bringing this to my attention good buddy!
jk246 is offline  
post #30954 of 37289 Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I am moving out but I lost the foam sheet for packaging.
If I wrap the tv in bubble wrap, will it be ok or will it damage / scratch the panel ?
I am quite worried.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
post #30955 of 37289 Old 07-09-2018, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,408
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
I'm interested in this topic that will probably help me choose what is best for my 65 b7a and 55 c7. How is this not on topic? It directly relates to my televisions' performance. I'm also thinking about throwing some speakers in my ceiling so i should ask what receivers work well with these tv's that are under $1k. That i can buy now or wait and get something better. That would be an awesome discussion.
Two tips here; 1) Do NOT throw speakers in your ceiling ! Place them carefully and ensure that they are well secured in place and connected with sufficiently thick copper cables to your receiver. Only by doing this will you ensure optimum sound quality. If you just "throw them in" you are likely to end up with handshake problems and no sound at all. sonoftumble will likely be best placed to advise on cables
2) On a more serious note I would advocate getting the best receiver that you can afford but making sure it has all the features you may want. For instance if you think you may only want a floor based system consider carefully before buying a receiver that can only do floor based. Likewise if you are considering two Atmos speakers think about a receiver that can do four.
Having a little bit too much is better than not having enough and then finding you have to replace the receiver because it just won't do what you want. In this respect a receiver with say 7 channels of amplification but 11 channels of processing that can be fed to a supplementary amp via the receivers pre outs , is a good compromise. At some later stage you can always add in that extra amp to extend the system.
sonoftumble likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 07-09-2018 at 05:29 AM.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #30956 of 37289 Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,408
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
I am moving out but I lost the foam sheet for packaging.
If I wrap the tv in bubble wrap, will it be ok or will it damage / scratch the panel ?
I am quite worried.
Possibly think about a clean, soft bed sheet.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #30957 of 37289 Old 07-09-2018, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
If it bothers you, simply unsubscribe. We've already beaten all the other horses to death. If it wasn't for the ATV discussions, this thread would have been a ghost town today.
So let me get this straight, since I think that the ongoing discussion solely about ATV, making no mention of the LG TV or any comparison to it's internal apps, is best moved to the thread that is already dedicated to that discussion, I should unsubscribe to this thread...LOL.
ataneruo likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is online now  
post #30958 of 37289 Old 07-09-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,408
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Come on everybody. Can't we all just get along a little bit better ?
Lately this thread has degenerated into a mud slinging festival and it's sad to see. We all enjoy the same interest but we all come at it from slightly different angles and with different aspirations . Is it so difficult to skip the posts that don't interest us and not get irritated by them ?
The thread will always veer around the track and look set to derail but eventually it will get back on course. As soon as someone notices a dead pixel, can't get audio over ARC, discovers a game that is too dark or sees a bit of banding , we will be right back in the thick of it. Until then lets go where the flow takes us in peace and harmony. And I'm NOT trying to start another discussion about remotes.
BPlayer, Culpepper and sonoftumble like this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #30959 of 37289 Old 07-09-2018, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^lol I'm starting to like the idea of ATV, if it converts regular movies to HDR10/DV...that would be great...especially to take more advantage of DV on these sets.
The ATV 4K can be setup so that you can force the dynamic range to any content. I've watched GOT on HBOGO in forced HDR and DV - just for kicks. I simply set the home page to HDR or DV - and then turned OFF dynamic range matching. I know the purists would scoff at such a thing, but It actually looked pretty good. The ATV 4K also does a nice ob of auto-upscaling 1080P to 4K.

For GOT, I know they've been using HDR camera's since Season 2, so I'm certain the 4K/HDR box sets will be along just in time for the holidays. Season One is now available in 4K/HDR Blu-ray.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 07-09-2018 at 06:14 PM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #30960 of 37289 Old 07-09-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Come on everybody. Can't we all just get along a little bit better ?
Lately this thread has degenerated into a mud slinging festival and it's sad to see. We all enjoy the same interest but we all come at it from slightly different angles and with different aspirations . Is it so difficult to skip the posts that don't interest us and not get irritated by them ?
The thread will always veer around the track and look set to derail but eventually it will get back on course. As soon as someone notices a dead pixel, can't get audio over ARC, discovers a game that is too dark or sees a bit of banding , we will be right back in the thick of it. Until then lets go where the flow takes us in peace and harmony. And I'm NOT trying to start another discussion about remotes.
Sorry, I'm not "irritated" or "bothered" I just find all the ATV fanboy posts tedious and repetitive particularly when they have their very own thread to do it in to their hearts content. If I wanted to read about how utterly fantastic and unmatched by any streamer ever conceived or delivered the ATV is I'd go there....
bigzee3 likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off