2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1046 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980425Likes

post #31351 of 36406 Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaga View Post
yeah but but with really oversatured games its can be like a really bad LSD trip, for example Horizon Zero Down in game mode looks like a red crimson filter its ON on all the game, making the overral image pretty bad.
I beg to differ but if you don't like it, you don't like it. I assume you are changing the color tone to something near W45 as well to get closer to D6500? Not sure how close it is but it does look close to the default Warm2 on Technicolor preset which has been claimed to be pretty accurate.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31352 of 36406 Old 07-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Horizon Zero Down in game mode looks like a red crimson filter its ON on all the game, making the overral image pretty bad.
I thought HZD in HDR Game Mode looked great, just a touch dim due to the tone mapping. As noted, games are all over the place in terms of color balance and saturation. I don't have any internal reference point for what "looks right" in a game like I do with movies.
post #31353 of 36406 Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
yeah but but with really oversatured games its can be like a really bad LSD trip, for example Horizon Zero Down in game mode looks like a red crimson filter its ON on all the game, making the overral image pretty bad.
The issue must have been calibrated out game mode of my C7. HZD looked fabulous on for my playthroughs of the campaign and expansion. One of the better looking HDR games, IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31354 of 36406 Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
l get you guys but im refering mostly to SDR, PC Mode who gives games acces to ISF settings and low input lag, its crushing some noticiable black detail and shadows, and yes im using the correct RGB settings (PS4 Full/TV High)

l will try to post some screen of the problem, the crush blacks its so noticiable that random youtube test patterns videos shows it very clear.
post #31355 of 36406 Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6667
Quote:
Originally Posted by tppytel View Post
I would say that you become familiar enough with the picture quality that you can at least focus on the movie. But I do remember the first month or so with my C7 where I just sort of stared at it in a daze.
Sometimes it is great to watch mindless content in pure bliss
post #31356 of 36406 Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Have had the LG OLED for nine months. Sometimes I do find myself taking the OLED for granted, as it's now our "everyday set" in the living room. Though, I still often do break out of that spoiled complacency and suddenly find myself absolutely wowed all over again by the extraordinary image quality of the set. However, for some reason my most frequent realization of difference occurs not while watching the OLED, but instead while upstairs watching our old Sony Plasma, with which we (and often, our guests) had been so impressed for years right up until the OLED arrived to take its place in the living room. Though I still enjoy watching the Plasma and still appreciate its image quality, I often find myself commenting out loud to my wife (or silently to myself - which she prefers... ) how much amazingly darker some of those blacks would appear - or how much sharper that DVD or Blu-Ray would look - if we were watching downstairs on the OLED instead...
post #31357 of 36406 Old 07-17-2018, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
2 months in and I'm still wow'd, although I may be getting used to the brightness a bit because I now find myself wishing that some parts were even brighter. I do all my real movie watching at night now, otherwise I feel like I waste the image if that makes sense.

I get that totally. In the daytime I usually avoid movies because I don't want to black out the room, it's a shame to waste the daylight, but at the same time I don't want to reduce the OLED effect and so usually reserve movies for nighttime viewing.
Omni009 likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #31358 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
I can totally see becoming a content snob being an issue!
Whatever you do , resist talking about the TV to your "non OLED" friends. These are easily spotted by their glazed expression when you mention the price of a W8.
If you do try to share your knowledge they will quickly abandon you for some far less geeky company and always look upon you with extreme pity in their eyes. They will be wondering how on earth you have kept yourself out of the asylum for so long.
And if you must talk about your passion , and I know it's hard not to, then at all costs avoid emotive words and phrases such as banding, crushed blacks, posterization, stuck sub pixels, motion artefacts and image retention. Under no circumstances ever mention burn in ! All these things will just diminish their already poor opinion of you.
khackshaw and Sask HT like this.

post #31359 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
Even after a year of ownership, I still find myself occasionally transfixed by the fireworks screensaver.
It's time to move on now and start watching some real content. A year is plenty long enough for the pixels to settle down.

post #31360 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
l get you guys but im refering mostly to SDR, PC Mode who gives games acces to ISF settings and low input lag, its crushing some noticiable black detail and shadows, and yes im using the correct RGB settings (PS4 Full/TV High)

l will try to post some screen of the problem, the crush blacks its so noticiable that random youtube test patterns videos shows it very clear.
Why not just use Game mode? It has low input lag too and the picture when set correctly is really close to what I see on a mode like technicolor.

post #31361 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
What happens for me is I have a super hard time watching anything seriously on an LCD now. I see everything that my TV doesn’t do like blooming, light bleed, off axis picture degradation, gray blacks. I don’t say stuff to people about their setup but I am always saying to myself “man this is so much worse than my TV”
Sigh... I've had my set a few months and I haven't been downstairs to my old 2012 3D LG since. I'm kind of afraid of going down there with the PS4 and not being able to handle what it looks like in comparison anymore. No way would my wife let me get another one of these bad boys...
post #31362 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask HT View Post
So I've had my TV for a couple weeks, but just watched my first 4K Bluray movie on Saturday. I was waiting to have all my Stereo equipment set-up.

We watched the Black Panther. The movie is is stunning visually. It was incredible on the OLED65B7. I was absolutely fascinated by how amazing the picture was. I really found myself focusing on the amazing picture and my new sound system more than the movie.

My question is this:

For those of you who have had a TV like this for over a year, does the novelty ever wear off? Are you amazed everytime you sit down to watch a movie or does it become normal after a while?
it lasted about one week on my philips (lg panel). the image is truly awsome can´t say that but, though i the image lookes great still there was never that BIG wow factor for me, to me my dual projector 3D gives wow still after 8 years using it.
post #31363 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Should be the same OUTSIDE PC Mode, the only problem its that game mode force wide gamut on the settings, making the image really oversatured and innacurate.
Set the Color to 43, and Temp to W50.
post #31364 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
It's time to move on now and start watching some real content. A year is plenty long enough for the pixels to settle down.
...but it's just so sparkly!
alexbarbel likes this.
post #31365 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 4545
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

That’s because PC mode has problems to begin with regarding color space. I don’t use it but I remember others talking about it in this thread.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #31366 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Came across the following review of this C7. Can anyone with Bluetooth headphones verify that what he says is correct? This is the only thing holding me back from purchase.

"TV was delivered today. Easy setup, great picture. Replaced an old 46 in LG that still has a lot of life in it. Unfortunately, the new TV does not have the capability of having wired or bluetooth headphones attached without killing the optical audio output. There are no rca audio out jacks, which the old set had. If a bluetooth headset is attached, it mutes all other audio output (HDMI, internal speaker, optical audio, etc.). We have a severely hearing-impaired family member, so this dysfunctional setup makes family viewing of the TV impossible. I suppose I expected too much from a $3000+ TV. One would think LG would realize that more than one person watches TV at a given time - at least give us a software switch to keep the main audio active when bluetooth device is selected. Not sure we will be able to keep this TV - to exclude family from enjoying it is unacceptable."
post #31367 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
That’s because PC mode has problems to begin with regarding color space. I don’t use it but I remember others talking about it in this thread.
yeah, the color space problem itsd corrected using proper settings(always RGB full in PC Mode) Limited RGB on PC mode dont work with this Tvs AT ALL!!

this is why HDR PC Mode never work, its was PC Mode all along, even for SDR.

anyway i was able to correct the black crush using gamma 2.2, but its nor ats good as normal mode.

doing a quick reading with my i1 display pro show a lot of errors in colors in Game Mode, even with the color settings in 40-45
post #31368 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6238
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
Came across the following review of this C7. Can anyone with Bluetooth headphones verify that what he says is correct? This is the only thing holding me back from purchase.

"TV was delivered today. Easy setup, great picture. Replaced an old 46 in LG that still has a lot of life in it. Unfortunately, the new TV does not have the capability of having wired or bluetooth headphones attached without killing the optical audio output. There are no rca audio out jacks, which the old set had. If a bluetooth headset is attached, it mutes all other audio output (HDMI, internal speaker, optical audio, etc.). We have a severely hearing-impaired family member, so this dysfunctional setup makes family viewing of the TV impossible. I suppose I expected too much from a $3000+ TV. One would think LG would realize that more than one person watches TV at a given time - at least give us a software switch to keep the main audio active when bluetooth device is selected. Not sure we will be able to keep this TV - to exclude family from enjoying it is unacceptable."

We let you know the 1st time you asked, if you connect BT headphones it disables all other audio.
nathan_h likes this.
post #31369 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
That’s because PC mode has problems to begin with regarding color space.
I don't believe that's true for SDR PC Mode. There are banding issues that come up in HDR PC Mode. But I haven't played much with it myself. Maybe I missed something.

I'm not sure why onaga is encountering color problems. But I also don't understand why you would use PC Mode with a Limited-output game console instead of just using game mode. After adjusting the Color and Color Temperature, my SDR Game Mode looks rather close color-wise to my Technicolor mode. Maybe not dead on exact, but fine for gaming.

onaga, are you not doing any HDR gaming at all? If you care about HDR gaming, you're not going to want PC Mode for SDR either because then you'll have to toggle it every time you change between SDR and HDR.
post #31370 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Should be the same OUTSIDE PC Mode, the only problem its that game mode force wide gamut on the settings, making the image really oversatured and innacurate.

Try Color: 46 and Color Temperature: W45 - it works for me.

LG OLED55B7A
Samsung HT-BD2ST (7.2 Channels)
Xbox One X 1TB
DirecTV Genie HR54 & Genie Client C61K
post #31371 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
We'll NEVER see HDR10+ on an LG TV because Samsung owns the format. More importantly, we don't need HDR10+ because we have Dynamic Contrast - which for all intents - does the same thing.
How does Dynamic Contrast determine how to change the contrast though? With HDR10+ that info is in the metadata, so the TV will just follow what the content creators have set. Dynamic Contrast can change sure, but we might not be seeing it exactly how the creators intended since I assume the TV will just be making an educated guess.

Also, if we don't need HDR10+ because we have Dynamic Contrast, would you also say we don't need Dolby Vision because we have Dynamic Contrast?
post #31372 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggy View Post
How does Dynamic Contrast determine how to change the contrast though? With HDR10+ that info is in the metadata, so the TV will just follow what the content creators have set. Dynamic Contrast can change sure, but we might not be seeing it exactly how the creators intended since I assume the TV will just be making an educated guess.

Also, if we don't need HDR10+ because we have Dynamic Contrast, would you also say we don't need Dolby Vision because we have Dynamic Contrast?
I would say that any way you slice it, the best PQ currently available is on an LG OLED displaying DV content. Dancing around that fact doesn't change anything. If you wanna compare that to stuff that is not available, then you're in the land of supposition, whose products are rather hard to come by.
post #31373 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
I would say that any way you slice it, the best PQ currently available is on an LG OLED displaying DV content. Dancing around that fact doesn't change anything. If you wanna compare that to stuff that is not available, then you're in the land of supposition, whose products are rather hard to come by.
Yes I agree. What I mean is as far as I understand it the only difference between DV and HDR10+ is that DV is a 12-bit and HDR10+ is not. However on a 10-bit panel such as the B/C7 those extra 2 bits don't amount to any improvement. So saying HDR10+ isn't needed because of Dynamic Contrast is the same as saying DV isn't needed because of Dynamic Contrast, which I don't agree with.
post #31374 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggy View Post
Yes I agree. What I mean is as far as I understand it the only difference between DV and HDR10+ is that DV is a 12-bit and HDR10+ is not. However on a 10-bit panel such as the B/C7 those extra 2 bits don't amount to any improvement. So saying HDR10+ isn't needed because of Dynamic Contrast is the same as saying DV isn't needed because of Dynamic Contrast, which I don't agree with.

But if DV is 12 bit spread across an expected 0 to 4000 nit range and you have a 10 bit 0 to 800 nit panel, perhaps you would like to have a full 10 bit for the bottom 1000 nit content. You are going to have to tone map the top end anyhow, but having more accuracy at the bottom sounds nice.

Sure for a 2000 nit 10 bit panel, it doesn't matter nearly as much.

This is assuming a linear distribution of bits for the brightness range, which may very well be a terrible assumption (and might in fact be a dumb design to use, but I believe SDR worked that way at least, but rec 2020 is actually non linear I believe so the bit distribution is more complicated). I haven't seen the standard for how the HDR encoding bit pattern is actually done. I guess I ought to read up on rec 2020 details.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #31375 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Question about YouTube vids using the internal app: very often content producers refer to their other vids that are claimed to be “linked” in either the upper corners of the screen, or sometimes below. However there is never anything actually showing on the screen.

So why doesn’t the app act like YouTube on a pc where the links show up and work? Seems like we should be able to just point our magic remotes at the link and launch these vids.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
post #31376 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post
Try Color: 46 and Color Temperature: W45 - it works for me.
46 is OK for Extended, but is still over-saturated for Wide, which is what Game is fixed to. For Wide the saturation gets closest at 43.

It probably comes down to taste, because the non-calibratable modes are never going to be super accurate, but W50 is the closest to Warm2. Gamma High2 seems to be BT.1886, and High1 is 2.4, which are both the same on this set.
post #31377 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6238
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
Question about YouTube vids using the internal app: very often content producers refer to their other vids that are claimed to be “linked” in either the upper corners of the screen, or sometimes below. However there is never anything actually showing on the screen.

So why doesn’t the app act like YouTube on a pc where the links show up and work? Seems like we should be able to just point our magic remotes at the link and launch these vids.

Because it’s an app and not a webpage. You can always try watching via the web browser and you should see the links.
post #31378 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi everyone! Usually lurker but if you guys can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Here in Brazil Oleds are expensive AF, and because of that i expect a perfect screen to see my national team being slaughtered in the world cup with all the pixels of the shameful defeat lit

But that just seems impossible... On my 55B7 i exchanged 7 units. All with dead pixels. Accepted. Now i got an 65B7 and 2 dead sub pixels right in the middle section (one on the right, white, other on the left, red). I use it sometimes as a PC monitor and that was when i noticed. The 65" has the same pixel mortality as the 55" ones or i am just plain unlucky? It is worth to try to get an pixel perfect unit or this is just as Oleds are and i need to live with it?

Thanks in advance!
post #31379 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hi! (some time earlier today i posted something similar in a not really fitting thread.)

since last week i'm the owner of a LG B7 and, in general, i'm just very happy with its picture quality.
unfortunately, i'm still in a little dilemma right now...

i noticed that the panel of the tv is dented in the middle left/right part of the screen. one can easily make out distorted reflections on the screen in these areas. luckily, i cannot make out any distortions in the actual content the tv is displaying.
i checked the box the tv came in and it seems to be a bit dented on the front side. so, maybe something heavy was leaning against it at some time?
these dented areas more or less coincide with the edges of the styrofoam protection for the panel that was in the box.

damage due to high amounts of pressure usually leads to various problems with a lcd panel, but how fragile is an oled panel in this sense? (i have no experience here)
could the panel be damaged somehow which just doesn't show itself at this moment or could there be some other kind of internal damage to the electronics of the tv?

of course, i still have the option to just return the tv and probably exchange it (if the model is still in stock).

however, it seems that the panel itself is a good one. (at least i've seen much worse here and elsewhere).

at the beginning, my panel actually looked absolutely horrible as depicted by the first photo. as i didn't know any better at that point i immediately ran the manual pixel refresher - twice.
the result is shown by photo 2/3. so far i rarely spot one of these lighter/darker bars in normal content.

i just want to make sure that there's no damage/problem that'll reveal itself in the future.
on the other hand, the panel looks good to me and there's of course the risk of ending up with a worse one.

what would be your advice?

p.s. i also learned that one should wait before running the manual pixel refresh (or better to never do this at all...). did i now unintentionally diminish the quality/performance of the panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	680.1 KB
ID:	2429940   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2429942   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	2429944  
post #31380 of 36406 Old 07-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hi, i ve bought 11 months ago the 65b7p at Chile country, (the set is from Mexico), and i live in Argentina. Yesterdary, the Oled died, just simply stay on standyby mode, and when i try to turn it on, no image or sound, just the red light changing to none. I called LG at my country and they told me that LG warranty doesnt cover the set because i bought it at another country, worse the Service Told me that there are no replacement part for my set, cause my model wich finish oled 65b7p-s.bwhyljr, differs from my country models.! Do you know where i can get or the main board or the power supply board for this set? also they told me (without checking the set,) that could be a problema with the oled screen .
I do not know what to do, if buy another set (one sell on my country for warranty o repairs parts on the future), or try to do something on my own to repair it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page