2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1055 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980486Likes

post #31621 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Hey everyone, it's been nearly four days now and movies on my VUDU app still are not playing. The app itself loads fine, and I can scroll through the menus, but when it comes to selecting the movies and playing them, after watching the loading/buffering icon for awhile, I get an error message that it cannot play it in UHD quality. So I try to play it in HDX quality, and the same thing repeats.

Is this an LG or VUDU issue? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Can't recall if you said you've done so or not, but my only other suggestion would be to uninstall and reinstall the app, and see if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31622 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathek View Post
Can't recall if you said you've done so or not, but my only other suggestion would be to uninstall and reinstall the app, and see if that helps.
Yeah, that was the first thing I tried...treated it like a smartphone app. haha

I actually got it fixed by doing a power cycle on the TV.
wrathek likes this.

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #31623 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyact View Post
The Hulu app on my C7 just updated, and oh-my-god it's now passing 5.1 audio.

Besides the PS4 and Xbox One, both of which were updated earlier this month, we're the only people that get this!

https://help.hulu.com/en-us/surround-sound
Thank's for the heads up. I quit Hulu over this very issue. Just subscribed again. They even have three of my Locals now too. Still not ready to cut the cord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31624 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwinston View Post
Can confirm this with the updated Hulu app on my B7A. Handmaid’s Tale and Runaways (at least) are DD+. After I’ve already watched all episodes in stereo, of course. Strangely, Transformers: The Last Knight is still stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even the I was a previous customer they gave me month free when i came back. So nothing is ventured to try them out again.
post #31625 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV Stand Recommendations

I've had my 55B7P now for several months. Previously it was wall mounted and I had room on the mantle for left-right-center speakers. However, the TV is now on a TV cabinet and the supplied stand, like most these days, is not high enough to put my center channel in front of the set w/o blocking it. Amazon has a plethora of universal, adjustable height stands and I'd like some advice on what others have done to raise their sets. My Definitive Tech center channel is about 6" high. The TV cabinet is 16" deep. I've also thought about having someone make me a wood riser stained to match the cabinet.
post #31626 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I ordered this table top stand that swivels too for my 55 inch C7. Very solid ,very sturdy metal not glass with adjustable height.The screws that fit the set were short, they worked, but I bought 4 longer ones at my local hardware store. Very easy to assemble and mount the tv.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cathodeRay likes this.

Last edited by gene9p; 07-26-2018 at 08:26 AM.
post #31627 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6789 Post(s)
Liked: 6791
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
I also have an E7. About a month ago I started getting a thin black horizontal line across the middle of the screen. Only shows when the tv is on. Long story short, panel is being replaced under warranty.
Sounds like you need to call LG. Demand an LG technician come out and not a local service company.
You can demand if you want, but the technicians they send will be authorized but they probably are not getting a pay check on Friday's from LG. Most TV repair centers around the US are competent, fixing TV's is not a rocket science.....
Sask HT likes this.
post #31628 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You can demand if you want, but the technicians they send will be authorized but they probably are not getting a pay check on Friday's from LG. Most TV repair centers around the US are competent, fixing TV's is not a rocket science.....

Based on my experience with repair centers, including my current situation, they are useless and clueless and don't give a sh*t about their customers. They don't return calls, they don't pick up the phone and when they do pick up the phone they lie to you to cover their asses. If I could fix the tv myself I would but unfortunately I have to deal with knuckleheads.

My apologies if I sound bitter.

Display: LG 65E7P 65" OLED
Blu-ray player: OPPO UDP-203, OPPO BDP-93
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Game Console: Xbox One X, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #31629 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
It was the bandwidth difference between HDR10 and DV (more) that required me to buy a new cable for my Oppo. I upgraded to Premium Certified, which does not cost more from reputable vendors like Monoprice (Amazon) and the problem was solved. Not a guarantee this is your issue, but for $8 it will remove a variable.
I guess that's my last option at this point. I thought that HDMI cables were still 'it works or it doesn't' so as long as it's sending me a picture that means it was working. It passes the ATK 4K 'enable Dolby Vision' test, so it thought it was ok.

post #31630 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2733 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
I ordered this table top stand that swivels too for my 55 inch C7. Very solid ,very sturdy metal not glass with adjustable height.The screws that fit the set were short, they worked, but I bought 4 longer ones at my local hardware store. Very easy to assemble and mount the tv.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Doesn't look like they offer one for a 65" model, right?

And in searching this thread for table top mounts, I don't see that folks have closed in on a preference.

I want to place a center speaker below my TV, so I need to raise it up to accommodate a speaker than is 12" tall.

Last edited by nathan_h; 07-26-2018 at 01:53 PM.
post #31631 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Well, my repair case is now open with LG. Given some of the horror stories I was quite apprehensive when I called the chosen repair place and got nothing but endless rings followed by a busy circuit. So... being close enough I took a drive over there and found a single employee in there dealing with everything while the repair guy was on the road. She was a bit overwhelmed.

Very helpful in person, looked up my claim and took additional info in the hopes of streamlining the process somewhat. She was very knowledgable and (painfully) aware of the LG potential panel backorder situation, so, we shall see how it goes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red_line3.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2433326  

Last edited by Mothra3; 07-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.
post #31632 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra3 View Post
Well, my repair case is now open with LG. Given some of the horror stories I was quite apprehensive when I called the chosen repair place and got nothing but endless rings followed by a busy circuit. So... being close enough I took a drive over there and found a single employee in there dealing with everything while the repair guy was on the road. She was a bit overwhelmed.

Very helpful in person, looked up my claim and took additional info in the hopes of streamlining the process somewhat. She was very knowledgable and (painfully) aware of the LG potential panel backorder situation, so, we shall see how it goes...

I wish you luck. The panels(E7) are in stock, well my replacement was as of yesterday.
Mothra3 likes this.

post #31633 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
I guess that's my last option at this point. I thought that HDMI cables were still 'it works or it doesn't' so as long as it's sending me a picture that means it was working. It passes the ATK 4K 'enable Dolby Vision' test, so it thought it was ok.
It wasn't all or nothing, but it was unwatchable, not just from an accuracy/quality perspective, not just "bad SDR", a lot of sparkles, very odd washed out colors, intermittent black screen, etc..
post #31634 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post
Has anyone with an OLED TV used bias lighting on the back? Wondering how you placed it on the backside since the top half is flat and the bottom half sticks out. I have the LG 55" B7. If anyone has a photo of how it looks from the back, it would be appreciated. TIA
I have an adhesive-backed LED Light strip (warm white) on the back of my 55B7A, powered by a transformer. If you look at the strip from the back, it would look like an inverted, squared off "U". I had this same light strip on my Panasonic Plasma the LG OLED replaced, so I just peeled it from the old TV and stuck it to the new TV.

Mark

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #31635 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:

You shouldn't have an issue with that one. Dealing with LG isn't THAT bad if you have an issue that displays on all forms of content. If you go to them with a poor panel that displays banding you will get some of the worst customer service available.
post #31636 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Has anyone with an OLED TV used bias lighting on the back? Wondering how you placed it on the backside since the top half is flat and the bottom half sticks out. I have the LG 55" B7. If anyone has a photo of how it looks from the back, it would be appreciated. TIA
I am interested in the same thing, as I just got my B7 and I'm so used to the bias lighting from my previous set, it looks weird to have it so dark behind there now. On my other TVs, I've gone all the way up the right side, across the top, and down the left (about a half inch to an inch in from the edge).

I'm thinking maybe do it the same, but only for the flat portion and ignore the bottom half. Also considered just doing a strip across the middle of the flat section, rather than the "U" pattern, but not sure if that will give the amount of light I want.
post #31637 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I bought a MediaLight strip (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHHVL6U - the 140cm version) for my C7 that's on a stand, with the screen about 14.5" away from the wall. Attached the the USB port on the TV, it'll turn on when you power the TV on and shut off on its own when you turn the TV off (and it finishes running any background screen maintenance it might be doing), which is really convenient.

We bought a bias light chiefly to help with eye strain in a dark room. It's not a totally light controlled environment, but it gets plenty dark (enough so that we run the bias light at its dimmest setting). I can 100% say that it helps for that, and we never wince when a moody scene goes to a sun-drenched HDR one. Contrast enhancement via bias lighting isn't really a motivation, since these OLED TVs already have perfect contrast (true black).

As far as aesthetics, I like having a bias light quite a bit. It feels a bit more custom/high-end to me, though that's the completely of personal taste. I have one friend that doesn't care for it at all. You do still get the impression of an image floating in space when you're in a darkened room. Just now it has a bit of a halo around it.

Edit: Forgot to mention where I mounted the strip! It's near the top edge of the white plastic in back that sticks out from the screen. The MediaLight strip has an adhesive back, but it sounds rather permanent. I just attached mine with masking tape, since I want to wall mount the TV once we redo the living room. So far, it's been holding strong. Also, the 140cm strip spans the width of the TV perfectly.

Last edited by CyberWilhelm; 07-26-2018 at 02:10 PM.
post #31638 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klotera View Post
I am interested in the same thing, as I just got my B7 and I'm so used to the bias lighting from my previous set, it looks weird to have it so dark behind there now. On my other TVs, I've gone all the way up the right side, across the top, and down the left (about a half inch to an inch in from the edge).

I'm thinking maybe do it the same, but only for the flat portion and ignore the bottom half. Also considered just doing a strip across the middle of the flat section, rather than the "U" pattern, but not sure if that will give the amount of light I want.
It depends on the person. I tried a bias light with my oled and I hated how it removes the fade to black effect where you are left in total darkness when a movie/show fades to black.
VidPro, npsacobra and Mothra3 like this.
post #31639 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I noticed this after doing the 04.70.36 update, which I think was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'm not actually certain it was a result of the update; after the update I had to recreate my panel settings because the update reset everything and that's when I noticed them. I am probably more critical than the average person though after 40 years at a network where one of the things I did on a daily basis was to observe, identify and troubleshoot video issues for a national television network. After 3 or 4 weeks, the severity of the issue has diminished, but it's still quite apparent to me, depending on what the color and luminance being display is... it even seems like when the same color goes from a higher to lower luminance, the 'line' is more visible at the mid-level luminance range. It's really not a 'line' though, the left side of the screen is very slightly darker than the right side- if you didn't see the actual transition in the center, you likely wouldn't even notice it. Out of curiosity, is/was your screen also slightly darker on the left side as well, or on the right? Also, I haven't run any manual compensation cycles, as I had read elsewhere that compensation cycles were run... whenever you turned your OLED off, as I recall.

Thanks for any further feedback you can provide.

jk
since my last post, my line has mostly “disappeared”/evened out with the rest of the panel at 1600+ hours on (1300 hours at my last update). it isnt noticeable in real world content unless you pause the screen on a solid colour background and even then you have to know where the line is and squint at it to distinguish it. and it would probably grow fainter with time too. so in conclusion it seems it really was just uneven aging and the steep luminance gradient fades with times as the pixels age more. though i’m afraid the issue would present itself as the pixels age again to a dimmer luminance, but currently my panel is 99.999% back to its original uniformity, so time will tell i guess.
post #31640 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80579 View Post
since my last post, my line has mostly “disappeared”/evened out with the rest of the panel at 1600+ hours on (1300 hours at my last update). it isnt noticeable in real world content unless you pause the screen on a solid colour background and even then you have to know where the line is and squint at it to distinguish it. and it would probably grow fainter with time too. so in conclusion it seems it really was just uneven aging and the steep luminance gradient fades with times as the pixels age more. though i’m afraid the issue would present itself as the pixels age again to a dimmer luminance, but currently my panel is 99.999% back to its original uniformity, so time will tell i guess.
I contacted LG and filed a problem report and got ref number shortly before my original warranty expired at the beginning of July, and also extended my warranty for another year. Before I got around to calling the service people to make an appointment, I noticed that the line, which had remained pretty much the same for about 3-4 months, had gotten less visible over a couple of weeks. It's still there for certain, but far less noticeable, and often is very difficult to see unless the background falls within a narrow range of luminance and color. I've been dragging my feet on calling service to see if it continues to improve, so it sounds like our screen problems are very similar. Unlike you, I'm almost positive this occurred when the first auto pixel-refresher ran. I'd say my panel is maybe 98-99% ATM. Fingers crossed, I've never heard of the people who do service here, and I've lived here for more than half my life; worried they could do more harm than good...

Thanks for the update!
post #31641 of 36584 Old 07-26-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
You shouldn't have an issue with that one. Dealing with LG isn't THAT bad if you have an issue that displays on all forms of content. If you go to them with a poor panel that displays banding you will get some of the worst customer service available.
So one would hope, however, during the course of the conversation he asked "is the line 1 pixel or more wide?" to which I responded "and how would I know that?." He couldn't even respond. And later, after I uploaded my on-the-fly pics he said... "the line appears to be orange, not red". I bit my tongue not to call him out on the total irrelevance of his perceived observation. At that point I imagined having a conversation of ANY consequence that involved a reasonable level of true intelligence and interpretation, and that notion scared me to death …

FWIW … the line(s) is dead-red in person
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	red_line2.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2433468  

Last edited by Mothra3; 07-27-2018 at 04:46 AM.
post #31642 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Update on my ATV 4K issues, I was able to swap out the cable, but it made no difference. I was able to force output regular HDR rather than DV for the movies I was talking about, and just like with the non-DV movies I own, the regular HDR looks just fine. So it must be an issue with the DV on ATV 4K specifically. I just hope a new firmware or something can fix it.

post #31643 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 341
LG OLED65C8PUA OLED Ultra HDTV Review on Sound&Vision https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ra-hdtv-review

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #31644 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post
I've had my 55B7P now for several months. Previously it was wall mounted and I had room on the mantle for left-right-center speakers. However, the TV is now on a TV cabinet and the supplied stand, like most these days, is not high enough to put my center channel in front of the set w/o blocking it. Amazon has a plethora of universal, adjustable height stands and I'd like some advice on what others have done to raise their sets. My Definitive Tech center channel is about 6" high. The TV cabinet is 16" deep. I've also thought about having someone make me a wood riser stained to match the cabinet.
With my 65E7P I ended up raising my centre channel speaker on blocks (just used cheap hollow cement blocks) behind the TV to bring it just above the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Setup.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	918.2 KB
ID:	2433520  
post #31645 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post
Update on my ATV 4K issues, I was able to swap out the cable, but it made no difference. I was able to force output regular HDR rather than DV for the movies I was talking about, and just like with the non-DV movies I own, the regular HDR looks just fine. So it must be an issue with the DV on ATV 4K specifically. I just hope a new firmware or something can fix it.

The problem, is that others like myself are not experiencing the same thing so it may be hard to fix.
audit13 likes this.
post #31646 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The problem, is that others like myself are not experiencing the same thing so it may be hard to fix.
I have not experienced this problem either since getting my ATV 4K in February, 2018. Worked perfectly on my LG and a Sony OLED at a local dealer.

I'm also a member on macrumors.com and have not seen similar reports in their ATV forum.

Last edited by audit13; 07-27-2018 at 09:05 AM.
post #31647 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone had any issues with the sound output in the C7 in regards to dialogue?
I have noticed that the dialogue in movies streamed through Netflix or Amazon is often very difficult to hear.

I've tried turning Dolby Atmos on and off, tried using the Magic Sound Tuning in different modes, as well as tried the Smart Sound mode.
Fiddling around with all different combinations of these options it seems that Dolby Atmos off, smart sound off, and magic sound moving treble mode seems to be the best but is still difficult at times to hear dialogue.

This problem persists across multiple movies and TV shows.
I'd rather not have to buy a sound bar just to fix this issue (I recognize overall it would give better sound) so I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there is any suggested fix?

Thanks
post #31648 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthfus View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the sound output in the C7 in regards to dialogue?
I have noticed that the dialogue in movies streamed through Netflix or Amazon is often very difficult to hear.

I've tried turning Dolby Atmos on and off, tried using the Magic Sound Tuning in different modes, as well as tried the Smart Sound mode.
Fiddling around with all different combinations of these options it seems that Dolby Atmos off, smart sound off, and magic sound moving treble mode seems to be the best but is still difficult at times to hear dialogue.

This problem persists across multiple movies and TV shows.
I'd rather not have to buy a sound bar just to fix this issue (I recognize overall it would give better sound) so I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there is any suggested fix?

Thanks
One thing you must consider is the position of your TV in the room. Close to any boundary such as a wall ,or worse still a corner, will tend to boost the bass but often in a way that makes audio sound muddy and congested. This could impact on the dialogue.
The obvious way to combat this is to move the TV away from any close boundary but I realise this may not be possible.I only ever use the TV speakers very , very rarely but they sound clear when I do. My TV is 20 inches from the wall behind it and 7 feet from each of the side walls.
Justin Fletcher likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #31649 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Update on my E765 … new panel ordered and invoiced back to my local repair shop... should arrive the end of next week
Here's hoping...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6626.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2433694  
post #31650 of 36584 Old 07-27-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update on my E765 … new panel ordered and invoiced back to my local repair shop... should arrive the end of next week
Here's hoping...
Good news. It's moving quickly. My second local repair shop ordered my replacement 65E7 panel on Weds. It should arrive next week too. The first shop was a disaster and strung me along for a month with nothing to show for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page