2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1076 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980770Likes

post #32251 of 37289 Old 08-21-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I see the b7 on the LG Canada website here: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/oled-tvs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32252 of 37289 Old 08-21-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
I see the b7 on the LG Canada website here: https://www.lg.com/ca_en/oled-tvs
Oh I see. Thanks.

However, it's gone from other pages now.

Weirdly enough though, that page still has the 6 series TVs from 2016 and even older models.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 08-21-2018 at 04:31 PM.
post #32253 of 37289 Old 08-21-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Oh I see. Thanks.

However, it's gone from other pages now.

Weirdly enough though, that page still has the 6 series TVs from 2016 and even older models.
I just searched for OLED rather than a specific model. I see old models as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32254 of 37289 Old 08-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I've had a 65C7 for a year and 2 months now. I've had minimal banding that I could live with but recently a line appeared directly in the middle of the screen (see attached pic). Perhaps hard to tell with the picture but I see it whenever there is a solid light colored background, and occasionally during other programming.

I called LG and submitted pics and have to give them credit. They're going to send someone out to replace at no cost since I'm so close to the year warranty. They technically could have been jerks and said no.

My issue is I just got off the phone with the LG Tech coming out and he didn't inspire a lot of confidence. Basically admitted to not knowing very much about these TV's. He even said during the month of training at LG he sat there clueless for the most part when they went over TV's

That said assured me his only job will be to unscrew, unhook ribbon cable, replace the panel, and hook everything back up. Claimed it's super easy and he's done it many times without issue.

So 2 questions:

- Should I be worried that this guy is going to screw something up?

- Is replacing the panel going to in effect render the professional calibration I had done last year worthless?

I'd imagine there may be subtle differences in calibration due to the panel but isn't most of based on your viewing room? He said he's having the panel mailed to me this week from LG.

Also - do you think if I'm getting a new panel it will have been manufactured this year with the potential for less banding? I haven't really read the C8 thread to see if that's improved at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180816_210235 .jpg
Views:	107
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	2444578  
post #32255 of 37289 Old 08-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac1012 View Post
I've had a 65C7 for a year and 2 months now. I've had minimal banding that I could live with but recently a line appeared directly in the middle of the screen (see attached pic). Perhaps hard to tell with the picture but I see it whenever there is a solid light colored background, and occasionally during other programming.

I called LG and submitted pics and have to give them credit. They're going to send someone out to replace at no cost since I'm so close to the year warranty. They technically could have been jerks and said no.

My issue is I just got off the phone with the LG Tech coming out and he didn't inspire a lot of confidence. Basically admitted to not knowing very much about these TV's. He even said during the month of training at LG he sat there clueless for the most part when they went over TV's

That said assured me his only job will be to unscrew, unhook ribbon cable, replace the panel, and hook everything back up. Claimed it's super easy and he's done it many times without issue.

So 2 questions:

- Is replacing the panel going to in effect render the professional calibration I had done last year worthless?

I'd imagine there may be subtle differences in calibration due to the panel but isn't most of based on your viewing room? He said he's having the panel mailed to me this week from LG.

Also - do you think if I'm getting a new panel it will have been manufactured this year with the potential for less banding? I haven't really read the C8 thread to see if that's improved at all.
Not many can predict the future where this guy and your new panel is concerned. However, a calibration is done to the display, in this case the panel. There is no reason to expect that a different, new or otherwise, panel, would benefit from the calibration done to the existing panel.

On the bright side, these panels are very good right out of the factory, so you might want to check the new one out before you go any further. If another calibration is called for, then there's not much left to say.
lsorensen, Pac1012 and alexbarbel like this.
post #32256 of 37289 Old 08-21-2018, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

So 2 questions:

I had the exact same issue with my OLED65C7P. I called LG a few days before the warranty expired and a technician was dispatched to assess the situation. A new panel was ordered and was installed approximately a week and a half later. The original panel was made in Korea and the replacement was made in Vietnam. One thing I immediately noticed was how crisp, detailed, and well balanced HDR looked on the new panel. The old panel was calibrated by D-Nice, and I have contacted him to calibrate the new one. It is quite likely the calibration done on your old panel will not yield the same results on the new panel. Some of the numbers printed on the labels of the old and new panel were different, but I was unable to determine when the new panel was manufactured.
post #32257 of 37289 Old 08-21-2018, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
I had the exact same issue with my OLED65C7P. I called LG a few days before the warranty expired and a technician was dispatched to assess the situation. A new panel was ordered and was installed approximately a week and a half later. The original panel was made in Korea and the replacement was made in Vietnam. One thing I immediately noticed was how crisp, detailed, and well balanced HDR looked on the new panel. The old panel was calibrated by D-Nice, and I have contacted him to calibrate the new one. It is quite likely the calibration done on your old panel will not yield the same results on the new panel. Some of the numbers printed on the labels of the old and new panel were different, but I was unable to determine when the new panel was manufactured.

Nice to know someone else had this issue. I don't remember seeing posts about the line directly in the middle of the screen when reading this thread last year.

Did you keep the settings from D-Nice's calibration after the panel was replaced or did you do a reset?

That's good news you noticed an improved HDR picture with the new panel! Every couple weeks I buy a 4K blu ray and haven't gotten around to watching a lot of them yet.
post #32258 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
First of all, let me tell you that I agree that people are different, have different sensitivities and needs/wants - so I would never tell you that it's stupid to insist on lowest possible lag.

But also, it goes both ways - some people just don't notice the difference, and on most forums there is this gamer elitism that makes it sound like everyone has these insane superhuman reflexes and should care about these things. A lot of gamers - serious ones too - play games for immersion and adventure and don't see them as a digital sport where nanoseconds matter. In fact, I'd say that most of the 'regular' people can't even tell the difference. Again - not dismissing your need to play with lowest input lag possible, you're not imagining things or anything. But, as I said, a LOT of people won't notice the difference between 20 or 60ms lag in, say, God of War - so claiming that input lag is the be all end all measurement for gamers is just as wrong as saying that it doesn't matter for anybody.

People are different. Some people don't see all the colors. Some are sensitive to flicker. Some people get headaches when they look at certain screens. Some people notice a difference in response times from wired and wireless mice. You can't make general statements for everyone.

So, everyone should try different modes while playing and see what matters most to them - PQ, lag or something else entirely.

Personally, I play in Game Mode mostly, because with the Dynamic Contrast, it looks the best and most detailed for me when playing games. But I wouldn't mind playing most titles in Cinema mode too. Either way, I am blown away how my C7 looks while playing amazing HDR games. I feel sorry for those that have such issues with the picture on these TVs. But they are so loud with certain statements (like the one about Game Mode being "unplayable" which is ridiculous) that they can almost convince people that something is "wrong".
DC high clips the highlights and loses the details in the dark areas. Don’t you notice that ? Have you compared your setup (game mode + DC high) with cinema mode + DC low ? You will see a difference in picture quality
post #32259 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
DC high clips the highlights and loses the details in the dark areas. Don’t you notice that ? Have you compared your setup (game mode + DC high) with cinema mode + DC low ? You will see a difference in picture quality
No I won't DC works very differently in Game mode than in Cinema and I can tell you that DC High in Game Mode looks exactly the same as Cinema DC Low in terms of details in both light and dark areas in all the games I tested. I especially payed attention to Horizon Zero Dawn (as it is considered a "darker" HDR game) but also tested in Assassin's Creed: Origins, God of War, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Witcher 3, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy XV and Resogun. The shadow detail remains the same as Cinema Mode with Dynamic Contrast set to Low (and in Cinema Mode, DC Low just turns on Active HDR).

It does clip highlights a little bit, but nothing drastic and it is miles above the Standard Mode which not only clips the highlights, it slices them into little pieces and buries them in the back yard.

I really examined several dark scenes, going back and forth. I would like to see shadows raised a bit, though, but that stands for Cinema Mode too. 2018 models have a better brightness curve and I'm hoping LG changes it for 2017 models as well (who knows). Either way, DC High does not lose shadow detail compared to DC Off and it looks exactly the same as Cinema with DC Low - for games at least. Please note that Games and Movies are act differently in regards to brightness - didn't test Game Mode with movies and compared it with Cinema. In games - there's no difference. A small amount of detail is lost in brightest areas when compared to DC Off, but a LOT less then HDR Standard, which is what the "old" Game Mode looked like.
post #32260 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 8
deleted.
post #32261 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Nice to know someone else had this issue. I don't remember seeing posts about the line directly in the middle of the screen when reading this thread last year.

Did you keep the settings from D-Nice's calibration after the panel was replaced or did you do a reset?

That's good news you noticed an improved HDR picture with the new panel! Every couple weeks I buy a 4K blu ray and haven't gotten around to watching a lot of them yet.
I did not alter any of the settings, but while the technician was initially troubleshooting the issue the with a LG representative over they phone, he did go into the service menu. The picture looked the same after the trouble shooting was completed. It was after the new panel was installed that I noticed a significantly improved picture especially during HDR programming. One additional thing I noticed on the old panel, when viewing a dark grey screen with no other picture content, there were areas of six or seven vertical bars that were barely visible across the screen. This issue is not visible on the new panel.

Last edited by rjih; 08-22-2018 at 05:30 AM.
post #32262 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I will continue my research when the 20ft 4K HDR premium certified cable arrives.
Ok. 20ft fiber HDMI 4K HDR cable arrived today. First, for anybody else who might be interested, this particular brand of fiber HDMI cable turns out to (a) work perfectly, and (b) be MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than the other major brand name fiber HDMI cables I've worked with over the past few months.

For comparison, Monoprice makes their VW-1 fiber HDMI cables in lengths starting at 30ft, priced at $160. Their CMP (more fire resistant than VW-1) fiber HDMI cables start at 20ft but are more expensive. The 20ft cable is $190. RUIPRO makes a 20ft ultraslim fiber HDMI cable for $140. Etc., etc.

Well, doing a bit of shopping I discovered this fiber HDMI cable from CableCreation (China) in a 20ft length for $51!!! You can imagine I was skeptical, but I went ahead and bought it. Turns out it's ultraslim, built with beautiful connectors, and appears to work perfectly. What a bargain!!

Anyway, back to connecting the HDMI1 input of my 55" C7 to the HDMI output of my GTX 1050ti card in my PC using this 4K HDR cable. This makes the C7 my third monitor for the Windows desktop. And as previously shown, the LG TV announces its "native" resolution to the nVidia driver as 3840x2160.

Using DVDFab Player 5 Ultra, I played a 4K HDR video file (TS format) that I had been sent a while back from somebody who had access to a World Cup game being telecast somewhere in Europe at 4K HDR. This was the TS file version of the OTA 4k HDR recording. DVDFab plays the video at original video size, i.e. it filled the C7's screen completely. I then looked at the C7's info while the video was playing and it looks as follows:

Bottom line: I still don't know what the story is here, as the LG TV is behaving exactly as it should by default, namely as a 16x9 3840x2160 display device operating at 60hz, reporting its display as 2160p.
lsorensen likes this.
post #32263 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Do you have "quick start" enabled on the TV? That has caused problems for many people in regards to using the wireless. I would try disabling that.
I've been remiss in not getting back here. My problem was with a wireless connection to the LG inexplicably simply not working, and resulting in an inability to use the built-in apps, specifically Netflix and Amazon Prime. Turning off QS has completely resolved the problem. Thanks Ruppgu!
alexbarbel likes this.
post #32264 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
No I won't DC works very differently in Game mode than in Cinema and I can tell you that DC High in Game Mode looks exactly the same as Cinema DC Low in terms of details in both light and dark areas in all the games I tested. .

This is completely untrue.
post #32265 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7507 Post(s)
Liked: 7538
Quote:
Those settings would no ,longer be accurate if the panel is replaced. Even if boards in the TV are replaced you would be in the same boat to where a calibration would have to be re-done....
ataneruo and alexbarbel like this.
post #32266 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
This is completely untrue.
I have a habit of trusting my own eyes more than the opinion of someone from a forum, so let's just end this discussion and leave it at that.
post #32267 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Ok. 20ft fiber HDMI 4K HDR cable arrived today. First, for anybody else who might be interested, this particular brand of fiber HDMI cable turns out to (a) work perfectly, and (b) be MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than the other major brand name fiber HDMI cables I've worked with over the past few months.

For comparison, Monoprice makes their VW-1 fiber HDMI cables in lengths starting at 30ft, priced at $160. Their CMP (more fire resistant than VW-1) fiber HDMI cables start at 20ft but are more expensive. The 20ft cable is $190. RUIPRO makes a 20ft ultraslim fiber HDMI cable for $140. Etc., etc.

Well, doing a bit of shopping I discovered ]this fiber HDMI cable from CableCreation (China) in a 20ft length for $51!!! You can imagine I was skeptical, but I went ahead and bought it. Turns out it's ultraslim, built with beautiful connectors, and appears to work perfectly. What a bargain!![/B]
Well done for taking the risk. I just love good value.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #32268 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Bottom line: I still don't know what the story is here, as the LG TV is behaving exactly as it should by default, namely as a 16x9 3840x2160 display device operating at 60hz, reporting its display as 2160p.
Were you expecting something else?
post #32269 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if anybody else has experienced issues with ABL on HDR content? Specifically with Dynamic Contrast set to Low. Obviously with Active HDR enabled it gives the image more brightness and vibrancy but I've noticed that it sets off the ABL visibly while watching certain films. Inception chapter 11 is a good test as well as nearly all of Dunkirk. Is this something that can't be gotten around? When turning dynamic contrast off, it certainly happens less often but doesn't remove it entirely. With SDR, I've yet to see the ABL kick in once. I'm assuming it's just the nits these UHD discs are mastered at?
post #32270 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 231
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Does anyone raise the OLED light past 50 when watching DV content?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #32271 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Holy crap I’m going to have to stop watching ESPN. Their new bottom line ticker is like 1/3 Ads, and on top of that it’s bright red or yellow. Seriously bad for OLEDs and burn in.
post #32272 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

I tried to but someone mentioned that the tone mapping works differently if you do or throws off something. Decided not to mess with it.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #32273 of 37289 Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Holy crap I’m going to have to stop watching ESPN. Their new bottom line ticker is like 1/3 Ads, and on top of that it’s bright red or yellow. Seriously bad for OLEDs and burn in.

ESPN has gotten too political for my anyway. I don’t bother
iketech, Artman22 and Ricker62 like this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #32274 of 37289 Old 08-23-2018, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

Yes, I run mine at 53. Simply adjusts the picture to what I prefer, they do have some variances between panels and room conditions are different for each of us. Try it up or down as you prefer, its adjustable for a reason.

OLED65C7P - Denon AVR S920W - Oppo 205 - Apple TV 4K - Bowers & Wilkins 804, HTM2, 805 - SVS PB2000
post #32275 of 37289 Old 08-23-2018, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.

I have the 65B7A and after changing inputs or turning the TV on I get screen blanking a weird audio. I have Apple TV, Fios STB connected directly to the TV and using ARC with a Pioneer VSX-1125k. Sometimes I can resolve the issue by changing inputs on the receiver and then changing back to the ARC input however this never fixed the FIOS problem. Sometimes turning off the TV and receiver resolves the problem but sometimes I have to unplug the HDMI cable from the FIOS box to fix it. I have updated the LG firmware to the latest version listed in the forum but this didn't resolve the problem and there is no new firmware for the receiver. I'm guessing the problem is HDMI handshaking so it there anything that will fix this problem? Would replacing my receiver purchased in 2011 or not using ARC help? I also saw Dr. HDMI on Monoprice
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...iABEgJBtvD_BwE wonder if that would help?

On a side note I have had CEC turned of on the FIOS box but turned it on yesterday to see if that would help? Weird though I think the TV turned on by its self this morning.

Thanks
Blaine

Blaine
post #32276 of 37289 Old 08-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've finally cut the cord and switched to YouTube TV, is there any way to set that to launch as the default when my 55B7A is turned on instead of having it default to one of the HDMI inputs?
post #32277 of 37289 Old 08-23-2018, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Wifi Problems with 65C7P

I'm having terrible problems with my 65C7P connecting with my new Netgear X450 router's wifi. It shows no internet connection but it is connected. I have several other devices that are having no issues including a Marantz receiver, an apple tv 4k, a roku and different phones. Any suggestions are appreciated. It has the latest firmware. It doesn't always do this but it is almost everyday now.
post #32278 of 37289 Old 08-23-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6987 Post(s)
Liked: 7052
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
I'm having terrible problems with my 65C7P connecting with my new Netgear X450 router's wifi. It shows no internet connection but it is connected. I have several other devices that are having no issues including a Marantz receiver, an apple tv 4k, a roku and different phones. Any suggestions are appreciated. It has the latest firmware. It doesn't always do this but it is almost everyday now.

Try manually setting an IP within the available range (I usually say towards the end of using DHCP). You may want to try setting the DNS to the routers IP as well.
post #32279 of 37289 Old 08-23-2018, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
The last LG update disabled IPV6 support, just a thought.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
post #32280 of 37289 Old 08-23-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler52 View Post
The last LG update disabled IPV6 support, just a thought.
Interesting. I was having serious problems with my Sony TV. I tried different network switches and I tried setting a manual IP address, but nothing worked. Then I just turned any automatic IPv6 support off in the TV, and after that everything worked perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page