2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1084 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980311Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #32491 of 36116 Old 09-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
HAPPY LABOR DAY!

HERE'S AN ALL NEW SDR AND DOLBY VISION CALIBRATION POST. ENJOY!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post55037420
I am guessing you have your SDR white balance high and low 2 point settings mixed up. Also Red being at 0 for 10-90 IRE 20 point is a drastic change.
pwiss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32492 of 36116 Old 09-03-2018, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
I am guessing you have your SDR white balance high and low 2 point settings mixed up. Also Red being at 0 for 10-90 IRE 20 point is a drastic change.
I agree it looks a bit unorthodox, but the after calibration chart I posted says that I nailed it. And that's not the only chart ( color checker ) that verified those settings. Saturation sweeps also looked great. In fact if you look at the CMS settings, you will also see very small adjustments.

You are right about getting the 2 Point settings switched around. Below is the correct order. I will edit the post(s) as well. Thank you for catching that!!!

Method: 2 Points
Low - R: 0, G: -1, B: 0
High - R: -5 G: 0, B: -1


Gotta love that technicolor Expert picture mode!
Cam1977 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 09-03-2018 at 10:57 PM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32493 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 12:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
A lot of the first HDR games were never created for HDR but have it patched in. These are the titles that are the real offenders in my experience. There are also games that are basically bugged in HDR where the color and brightness is better but all the shadows have elevated black levels. Last of Us and Deus Ex Human Revolution are the first two that come to mind for that. Games that are built around having HDR from the start fair a lot better.
You are correct.

My test will be this: if the games I keep waiting for (Spider-Man, TR, RDR2) look nice and bright, I declare this a non-issue

If not, I'll be sad and curse and move around my apartment angrily for 5 minutes.
cmdrdredd likes this.
ivanzorkic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32494 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilva0396 View Post
Hey all,

Trying to get a bit of a different audio setup going with my B7A. In short, I want to use Bluetooth headphones AND use the internal speaker (NOT a soundbar) at the same time, so audio coming from both. Long story.

The equipment: 55B7A, LG SJ8 sound bar, Beats BT headphones. I've tried a bunch of things with no luck - any idea if this is possible, and if so, how to do it?

Thanks in advance!
Josh

My understanding so far (you are not the first to ask for this) is that on the LG you can not use headphones and other audio at the same time. There just isn't a setting for it. On the Sony's there is an explicit setting for allowing it.
jsilva0396 likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #32495 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 165
SoT. Question for you. I run strictly from my Apple TV 4k. Matching and frame is on.

Since the atv4k is in dv mode all the time, which settings should I use? Sdr or your dv settings?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #32496 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Hutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
SoT. Question for you. I run strictly from my Apple TV 4k. Matching and frame is on.

Since the atv4k is in dv mode all the time, which settings should I use? Sdr or your dv settings?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would set the appletv to put out 4k sdr, if you have range matching on then it will automatically switch to HDR when viewing HDR content.
Ph8te and gambler52 like this.
Hutty is offline  
post #32497 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
patoberli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 04.71.00 - ( CALIBRATION REV. 3.5 - Sept. 2 18 )

Enjoy. Feedback is welcome.
Thanks a lot for your new calibration!
Could you send me your DV profile please?

One question regarding the SDR (and probably also the other settings), when doing the 20 point calibration, I've also got a "Target Luminance" and "Adjusting Luminance" option, which I've set to 0. Only on the IRE 100 Target Luminance is set to 130, but I don't anymore remember why.
patoberli is offline  
post #32498 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
blackjackmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcountry View Post
I'm not sure if the issue is with the LG B7 or the Pioneer Elite Receiver, but my ARC audio seems to intermittently work, though I believe everything is configured as it should be. Now, I can't seem to get any audio at all when viewing WebOS app content.

Interestingly, the Pioneer Receiver seems to indicate that it detects the source audio, as is will show Dolby Atmos on the receiver when viewing Atmos content through Vudu, but the speakers aren't producing any audio.

From, what I've been reading, there seem to be issues with ARC on some LG televisions.

I would greatly appreciate any help or feedback from others who may know a possible solution.

I could just just use my Nvidia Shield TV for streaming, but I actually prefer to use the WebOS apps if possible, especially for Dolby Vision content, as the Nvidia Shield doesn't do Dolby Vision.

Thanks for any advice.
FWIW I have a C7 connected to a Denon 4300 and ARC works fine when using the LG apps.

LG OLED65C7P / Denon AVR-X4300H / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K
blackjackmark is online now  
post #32499 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Thanks a lot for your new calibration!
Could you send me your DV profile please?

One question regarding the SDR (and probably also the other settings), when doing the 20 point calibration, I've also got a "Target Luminance" and "Adjusting Luminance" option, which I've set to 0. Only on the IRE 100 Target Luminance is set to 130, but I don't anymore remember why.
Thank you for the feedback. Please send me a private message with your email address so I can send to you.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32500 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcountry View Post
I'm not sure if the issue is with the LG B7 or the Pioneer Elite Receiver, but my ARC audio seems to intermittently work, though I believe everything is configured as it should be. Now, I can't seem to get any audio at all when viewing WebOS app content.

Interestingly, the Pioneer Receiver seems to indicate that it detects the source audio, as is will show Dolby Atmos on the receiver when viewing Atmos content through Vudu, but the speakers aren't producing any audio.

From, what I've been reading, there seem to be issues with ARC on some LG televisions.

I would greatly appreciate any help or feedback from others who may know a possible solution.

I could just just use my Nvidia Shield TV for streaming, but I actually prefer to use the WebOS apps if possible, especially for Dolby Vision content, as the Nvidia Shield doesn't do Dolby Vision.

Thanks for any advice.
I also have a C7 hooked up with a Denon 4400h,and no problems with ARC. When I switch say from cable,to a web OS proggy(Netflix etc for example) the receiver automatically switches to TV Audio,which outputs TV apps etc.

You might want to reset your receiver,and do a fresh setup of your equipment. That being said,follow the procedure to the letter. You might be experiencing handshake issues etc,which can arise if equip not set up in a certain sequence.
Autoplay is offline  
post #32501 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoplay View Post
I also have a C7 hooked up with a Denon 4400h,and no problems with ARC. When I switch say from cable,to a web OS proggy(Netflix etc for example) the receiver automatically switches to TV Audio,which outputs TV apps etc.

You might want to reset your receiver,and do a fresh setup of your equipment. That being said,follow the procedure to the letter. You might be experiencing handshake issues etc,which can arise if equip not set up in a certain sequence.
Also,as you said it’s not spitting out atmos......silly question but,do you have your receiver speaker set up to output atmos in whatever configuration your system is?

C765P,Denon 4400H,5.1,soon to be 5.1.4(when time allows install of 4 Sonance MAG6R overhead speakers)
Autoplay is offline  
post #32502 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcountry View Post
Thanks for the tip. Now I'm starting to think it may just be the Pioneer(Onkyo) receiver. Maybe I should exchange the Pioneer for a Denon receiver, as I'm still within my return period.

Does anyone have any thoughts on if I would be losing a lot by switching from the Pioneer LX502 receiver that I paid $499.99 for, to a Denon AVRS930H that I would be paying $374.99 for, as it sounds like Denon is more reliable for ARC than Pioneer/Onkyo?
Not sure what your budget is,but the Denon 4400h can be had now for 899.00. I purchased mine at Best Buy,as they had it in stock,and had them price match Crutchfield price of 899.00.

I didn’t see much of a difference between the 4400 and the 4500,so for I,was a no brainer.
sikclown likes this.
Autoplay is offline  
post #32503 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Nation66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Thank you for the feedback. Please send me a private message with your email address so I can send to you.
I'd like to thank you, too for sending me the new calibration.
However, I, like patoberli, am interested infinding the answer to his question: "when doing the 20 point calibration, I've also got a "Target Luminance" and "Adjusting Luminance" option, which I've set to 0. Only on the IRE 100 Target Luminance is set to 130, but I don't anymore remember why."
When I followed your calibration, that Target Luminance popped up and I don't know what it meant.
wxchaser likes this.
Nation66 is online now  
post #32504 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I just snagged Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom and am watching in Dolby Vision on my Apple TV 4K with sonoftumbles updated settings and profile. I was wondering if anyone else has an experience where the scene at 1:08:17 gets very dark? In fact, the playback bar itself dims along with the scene. It lasts for only a moment. I am on the latest US software version for the OLED, but am running the beta versions for the Apple TV, so maybe that could be something to it.
osufalcon is offline  
post #32505 of 36116 Old 09-04-2018, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation66 View Post
I'd like to thank you, too for sending me the new calibration.
However, I, like patoberli, am interested infinding the answer to his question: "when doing the 20 point calibration, I've also got a "Target Luminance" and "Adjusting Luminance" option, which I've set to 0. Only on the IRE 100 Target Luminance is set to 130, but I don't anymore remember why."
When I followed your calibration, that Target Luminance popped up and I don't know what it meant.
Just use the IRE levels for setting the RGB balance and skip any "Luminance" adjustments.

Basically, the "Target Luminance" and "Adjusting Luminance" settings allow you to modify the gamma curve. It can be especially helpful when you are trying to make low level shadow details more visible, or when you are trying to offset HDR EOTF behaviors. Once you start messing with that stuff, then you will start to see the brightness responses begin to go astray. You need a meter and software such as Calman to get the correct readings . . . but then again . . . ABL will rear its ugly head and you'll never get the same reading twice even with the same settings! I've seen it first hand.

That is why I changed my entire approach to Dolby Vision calibration with my most recent settings.

I suggest that you stay away from those settings because the luminance targets are already correctly matched to each IRE level anyway.
rondongon, Nation66 and alexbarbel like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32506 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
patoberli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Just use the IRE levels for setting the RGB balance and skip any "Luminance" adjustments.

Basically, the "Target Luminance" and "Adjusting Luminance" settings allow you to modify the gamma curve. It can be especially helpful when you are trying to make low level shadow details more visible, or when you are trying to offset HDR EOTF behaviors. Once you start messing with that stuff, then you will start to see the brightness responses begin to go astray. You need a meter and software such as Calman to get the correct readings . . . but then again . . . ABL will rear its ugly head and you'll never get the same reading twice even with the same settings! I've seen it first hand.

That is why I changed my entire approach to Dolby Vision calibration with my most recent settings.

I suggest that you stay away from those settings because the luminance targets are already correctly matched to each IRE level anyway.
Thanks for the reply, in that case I'm going to correct my setting of 130 to 0 I wonder if I will notice a difference at all
patoberli is offline  
post #32507 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 02:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 04.71.00 - ( CALIBRATION REV. 3.5 - Sept. 2 18 )

HAPPY LABOR DAY!

The settings below are ALL NEW except for HDR10 technicolor Expert.

NOTE: This will probably be my last settings hurrah on this thread due to the fact that our sets are now out of production, and firmware updates from LG will no doubt be prioritized for current models; i.e. 2018 - 8 series. If something comes out that radically changes things, then I will take another look and run new calibrations. Otherwise, I think this is a wrap.

With that said, most 7 series models should benefit from the settings below. This is assuming that your panel’s performance / specs are fairly close to mine. Variances in panels may yield different results. For most of us, it should be very close. If the variance is less than 3%, you will enjoy an awesome SDR and HDR picture.

These are actual meter based calibration settings ( vs. disc based ) using a recently certified ( June 2017 ) Spectracal C6 meter, Murideo 6G pattern generator, and CalMan for Biz 2017.

SDR notes: A few days ago, I ran a calibration recheck to see if my TV’s colors and gray scale had drifted since the January calibration.  There were very few differences - which is good news.  I decided to spend a little more time, and try to get things as close to perfect as possible.  As you will see with the attached Post Calibration screenshot for SDR technicolor Expert, things are almost perfect. On top of that, the adjustments to both the White Balance and CMS are extremely minor and well within single digits from the zero point. The SDR picture on my C7 looks phenomenal.

Dolby Vision notes: This is an ENTIRELY NEW revamp. The problem with the previous DV calibration was that I was allowing the EOTF curve to meander around like a river carving a new path. The delta errors looked good, but the gamma was all over which effected luminance performance especially in the mid and upper ranges where most content lives. The general complaint about the Dolby Vision "Cinema (User)" picture being too dark has been eliminated as the 2.2 gamma target is now flat across all IRE levels. This made a huge difference in the overall brightness of the picture will still providing those spectral highlights that everyone expects with HDR content. Again, I am very pleased with this picture, and it looks much better than the previous revision.

The Calman “DV custom" workflow allows the calibrator to create a special file just for 2017 LG OLED’s, which is saved to a thumb drive and then loaded into the TV. Spectracal, Dolby, and LG worked very closely together to create this awesome workflow. It’s actually faster and easier to go through than an SDR calibration. The DV “custom” workflow focuses on greyscale and once the 2 point and 20 point have been adjusted, Calman then creates the file ( plain text ) and the calibration session is complete. There are no other adjustments, and the CMS is left untouched.

If you are interested in taking a closer look at this file, you should send me a private message with an email address so I can send to you.

For those of you who have already received the previous DV file, I have already sent out a new one with the same settings as listed below.

Updated SDR post calibration screenshot attached.

SDR Settings
SDR Picture Mode: “technicolor Expert”
Energy Saving: Off

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 49
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 48
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

WHITE BALANCE
Color Temperature: Warm2

Method: 2 Points
Low - R: 0, G: -1, B: 0
High - R: -5 G: 0, B: -1

Method: 20 Points
100 IRE, R: -7, G: -6, B: -5
90 IRE R: 0, G: -9, B: -8
80 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
70 IRE R: 0, G: -5, B: -7
60 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
50 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
40 IRE R: 0, G: 1, B: -1
30 IRE R: 0, G: -3, B: -4
20 IRE R: 0, G: 3, B: 2
10 IRE R: 0, G: 5, B: 6

COLOR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
RED Sat 0, Tint 0,  Lum -1
GREEN Sat 0, Tint 0, Lum 2
BLUE Sat 2, Tint 1, Lum 5
CYAN Sat 2, Tint 2, Lum 2
MAGENTA Sat 2, Tint 5, Lum 0
YELLOW Sat 3, Tint 0, Lum -1

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

ISF OLED LIGHT SUGGESTED SETTINGS - SDR - LG OLED 7 SERIES PANELS
BRIGHT ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 49 = TV Foot Lumens of 55 ( Range 50-60 )
DIM ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 36 = TV Foot Lumens of 45 ( Range 40-50 )
DARK ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 25 = TV Foot Lumens of 35 ( Range 30-40 )


HDR10 Settings
HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 70 ( This will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. 70 seems to be a “happy" medium )
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 55
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )

WHITE BALANCE
Color Temperature: Warm2
Method: 2 Points
High - R: -5, G: -3, B: 3
Low - R: 1 G: -1, B: -3

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

Dolby Vision Settings
DV Picture Mode: Cinema (User)

OLED Light: 70 (I have a medium bright room)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color 50
Tint: 0

NOTE: The below settings must be accompanied with the installation of the DV calibration file as explained above.

WHITE BALANCE
Color Temperature: Warm2

Method: 2 Points
High R: -3, G: 1, B: 1
Low R: 5, G: -2, B: 2

Method: 20 Points
100 IRE R: 0, G: 1, B: -4
95 IRE R: -2, G: -4, B: -6
90 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -6
85 IRE R: -3, G: -6, B: -4
80 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -5
75 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8
70 IRE R: -7, G: -6, B: -8
65 IRE R: -9, G: -9, B: -9
60 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8
55 R: -8, G: -10, B: -10
50 IRE R: -7, G: -8, B: -9
45 IRE R: -8, G: -9, B: -10
40 IRE R: -6, G: -7, B: -8
35 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -8
30 IRE R: 10, G: 9, B: 8
25 IRE R: 17, G: 17, B: 16
20 IRE R: 22, G: 22, B: 23
15 IRE R: 21, G: 22, B: 22
10 IRE R: 19, G: 21, B: 21
5 IRE R: 11 G: 14, B: 12


Enjoy. Feedback is welcome.
Many thanks for posting this Sonoftumble. How do I request the calibration file from you?


EDIT: Now found out! (need to be logged into AVS Forums - doh!)

Last edited by philphluter; 09-05-2018 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Found out how to do it!
philphluter is offline  
post #32508 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 663
While it is certainly nice that folks are willing to, and go to all the trouble of, sharing calibration settings I will reiterate, using someone else's gray scale (white balance) and/or CMS settings will almost never result in accurate colors. The only way to correctly set gray scale and CMS is with a meter, software, and the knowledge and ability to correctly use them. Unless you have that equipment and know how to use it you are really better off just leaving the gray scale and CMS settings alone. JMHO.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #32509 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
usurpers26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
For what it is worth, I have never touched my luminance settings and the value on my TV for 100 IRE is also 130. So I think that is the default...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Thanks for the reply, in that case I'm going to correct my setting of 130 to 0 I wonder if I will notice a difference at all
usurpers26 is offline  
post #32510 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,192
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6498 Post(s)
Liked: 6476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoplay View Post
Not sure what your budget is,but the Denon 4400h can be had now for 899.00. I purchased mine at Best Buy,as they had it in stock,and had them price match Crutchfield price of 899.00.

I didn’t see much of a difference between the 4400 and the 4500,so for I,was a no brainer.
When these drop this low, you would be amazed at how much dealers do NOT make lol
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #32511 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
When these drop this low, you would be amazed at how much dealers do NOT make lol

But you make it up in volume right?


Obviously at those prices everyone must be buying them in 6 packs.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #32512 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wildgator25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Graniteville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
While it is certainly nice that folks are willing to, and go to all the trouble of, sharing calibration settings I will reiterate, using someone else's gray scale (white balance) and/or CMS settings will almost never result in accurate colors. The only way to correctly set gray scale and CMS is with a meter, software, and the knowledge and ability to correctly use them. Unless you have that equipment and know how to use it you are really better off just leaving the gray scale and CMS settings alone. JMHO.
While I agree with you that the only way to properly calibrate one's television would be with proper equipment and knowledge, not many people have that option. It is sorta like telling someone that the C7 OLED is a better picture than the Vizio 4k model whatever. We feel as owners that it is true, however how can you explain the difference to the person who doesn't understand it? Well, you show them is one option and that is why I believe sonoftumble is offering his settings. It is not to undermine the paid calibrator but to offer settings to those who can't calibrate for whatever reason. It is up to that person to decide whether it is an improvement in their opinion. I for one am very thankful he shares his settings and if I had a copy of Calman would do the same.
euckersw, rondongon and cathodeRay like this.
wildgator25 is offline  
post #32513 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
While I agree with you that the only way to properly calibrate one's television would be with proper equipment and knowledge, not many people have that option. It is sorta like telling someone that the C7 OLED is a better picture than the Vizio 4k model whatever. We feel as owners that it is true, however how can you explain the difference to the person who doesn't understand it? Well, you show them is one option and that is why I believe sonoftumble is offering his settings. It is not to undermine the paid calibrator but to offer settings to those who can't calibrate for whatever reason. It is up to that person to decide whether it is an improvement in their opinion. I for one am very thankful he shares his settings and if I had a copy of Calman would do the same.
Like I said, I think it’s great that folks are willing, and go to the trouble, of sharing their grey scale and CMS settings. I’m not a paid calibrator so it has nothing to do with that. If folks want to use/try the settings and feel they make improvements, great, have at it. My point here is that unlike many of the other general settings, grey scale and CMS are really not something you can “eyeball adjust”. The whole reason they exist is due to the variability inherent in devices and environments. If you could just create a set of settings for grayscale and CMS that would work for all devices, or even just all LG OLED panels, then you wouldn’t really need these adjustments in the first place. Again this is JMHO.
KevinSartori likes this.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #32514 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoplay View Post
Not sure what your budget is,but the Denon 4400h can be had now for 899.00. I purchased mine at Best Buy,as they had it in stock,and had them price match Crutchfield price of 899.00.

I didn’t see much of a difference between the 4400 and the 4500,so for I,was a no brainer.
It sounds like I should give Denon a try for my setup. Denon was my previous 2 receivers, but the Pioneer Elite seemed like such a good price. Do you or anyone have any feedback ont he Denon AVR X1500H, as it's currently on sale at Best Buy for $499.99, the same price that I paid for the Pioneer SC-LX502.

It's $100 off, vs. the Pioneer as $500 off, so I feel like I'm not getting the same deal, though maybe the Denon will be better for my setup. The Pioneer just seems to have some quirks, besides the ARC issue.
jtcountry is offline  
post #32515 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
While I agree with you that the only way to properly calibrate one's television would be with proper equipment and knowledge, not many people have that option. It is sorta like telling someone that the C7 OLED is a better picture than the Vizio 4k model whatever. We feel as owners that it is true, however how can you explain the difference to the person who doesn't understand it? Well, you show them is one option and that is why I believe sonoftumble is offering his settings. It is not to undermine the paid calibrator but to offer settings to those who can't calibrate for whatever reason. It is up to that person to decide whether it is an improvement in their opinion. I for one am very thankful he shares his settings and if I had a copy of Calman would do the same.
Like I said, I think it’s great that folks are willing, and go to the trouble, of sharing their grey scale and CMS settings. I’m not a paid calibrator so it has nothing to do with that. If folks want to use/try the settings and feel they make improvements, great, have at it. My point here is that unlike many of the other general settings, grey scale and CMS are really not something you can “eyeball adjust”. The whole reason they exist is due to the variability inherent in devices and environments. If you could just create a set of settings for grayscale and CMS that would work for all devices, or even just all LG OLED panels, then you wouldn’t really need these adjustments in the first place. Again this is JMHO.
What information do you have that refutes this quote from sonoftumble.
"With that said, most 7 series models should benefit from the settings below. This is assuming that your panel’s performance / specs are fairly close to mine. Variances in panels may yield different results. For most of us, it should be very close. If the variance is less than 3%, you will enjoy an awesome SDR and HDR picture.
yogi6807 is offline  
post #32516 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
What information do you have that refutes this quote from sonoftumble.
"With that said, most 7 series models should benefit from the settings below. This is assuming that your panel’s performance / specs are fairly close to mine. Variances in panels may yield different results. For most of us, it should be very close. If the variance is less than 3%, you will enjoy an awesome SDR and HDR picture.
He stated the only point I’m trying to make, “Variances in panels may yield different results”. Will it be close, maybe, maybe not, which is what he also said in what you quoted. Is “the variance less than 3%”? I don’t know, what information do you have that it is? If you want to use someone else’s grey scale and CMS settings and you are happy with the way it looks, great. My only point is that unlike the other “gross” adjustments that are meant for the typical end user to adjust by eye, grey scale and CMS adjustments are really meant to fine tune out variences and are made to be adjusted using the proper tools. Sharing those settings, in most cases, will not yield accurate results. Again this is purely MO but is supported by every professional certified calibrator I have ever heard from, read, or talked to. But maybe you know something they don’t.

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #32517 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wildgator25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Graniteville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
He stated the only point I’m trying to make, “Variances in panels may yield different results”. Will it be close, maybe, maybe not, which is what he also said in what you quoted. Is “the variance less than 3%”? I don’t know, what information do you have that it is? If you want to use someone else’s grey scale and CMS settings and you are happy with the way it looks, great. My only point is that unlike the other “gross” adjustments that are meant for the typical end user to adjust by eye, grey scale and CMS adjustments are really meant to fine tune out variences and are made to be adjusted using the proper tools. Sharing those settings, in most cases, will not yield accurate results. Again this is purely MO but is supported by every professional certified calibrator I have ever heard from, read, or talked to. But maybe you know something they don’t.
I agree again with what you are saying. And, I know you weren't quoting me in the above referenced quote. But, the point that I am trying to make is that the inexperienced user doesn't know right from wrong when it comes to picture preference and can only tell you what appeals to their eyes. That being said, they can or will be more influenced by someone who charges them a fee for professional services and explains what and why they are making the picture the way it should look. Is it any more appealing than trying another user's settings, that's subjective. But, I am going to justify my purchase nonetheless if I were to pay for the services of a reputable calibrator.

I would love to see a comparison of professional calibration settings on someone's set versus sonoftumbles settings. DE variations in CMS below 3.0 should be acceptable and would be quite interesting to see if the Gamma Curve is similar if not the same. It is doubtful someone will do this as, should it prove to be negligible in difference, it may result in....draw your own conclusion.
euckersw likes this.
wildgator25 is offline  
post #32518 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
bigzee3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Does anyone raise the OLED light past 50 when watching DV content?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do using the Netflix app but don't on the Panny 820 at this stage.
bigzee3 is offline  
post #32519 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
pwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I agree it looks a bit unorthodox, but the after calibration chart I posted says that I nailed it. And that's not the only chart ( color checker ) that verified those settings. Saturation sweeps also looked great. In fact if you look at the CMS settings, you will also see very small adjustments.

You are right about getting the 2 Point settings switched around. Below is the correct order. I will edit the post(s) as well. Thank you for catching that!!!

Method: 2 Points
Low - R: 0, G: -1, B: 0
High - R: -5 G: 0, B: -1


Gotta love that technicolor Expert picture mode!
Would you be so kind as to post your gamma curve for these settings?
pwiss is offline  
post #32520 of 36116 Old 09-05-2018, 11:49 PM
Member
 
rubento's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to receive your DV calibration file too. Already sentí a private message to you.

Thanks

rubento


Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Just use the IRE levels for setting the RGB balance and skip any "Luminance" adjustments.

Basically, the "Target Luminance" and "Adjusting Luminance" settings allow you to modify the gamma curve. It can be especially helpful when you are trying to make low level shadow details more visible, or when you are trying to offset HDR EOTF behaviors. Once you start messing with that stuff, then you will start to see the brightness responses begin to go astray. You need a meter and software such as Calman to get the correct readings . . . but then again . . . ABL will rear its ugly head and you'll never get the same reading twice even with the same settings! I've seen it first hand.

That is why I changed my entire approach to Dolby Vision calibration with my most recent settings.

I suggest that you stay away from those settings because the luminance targets are already correctly matched to each IRE level anyway.
rubento is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off