2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1087 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980771Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #32581 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
For a pc and gaming this is not true. See above. You can do 4K 60hz HDR easily via HDMI.

You can, but only in 4:2:0 (or maybe 4:2:2) not 4:4:4 chroma. This means text can get a bit blurry. For most games and certainly for video it is a non issue, but for text and icons on your desktop, it doesn't look so good.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32582 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Do you have this part working now, or it is something your are planning. Your choice of AVR is not really important for this to work.

Yes, turn on the TV and with CEC it will turn on the AVR.

I have it working with with a Sony AVR. It makes no difference if the port carries both AVR and video.

Choose an AVR with the features you need. A model that others have said works with this TV is a reassurance factor.
I have my inputs arranged like this right now. Agreed that the AVR isn't important for that part to work. Right now, I'm outputting to my old receiver via optical and only have a 2.1 setup going. We moved recently, and I'd like to go back up to 7.1 + height speakers once I do the living room remodel, so that's when I'll be shopping for a new AVR.

Thanks for sharing your experience with a Sony AVR. Reassurance factor is something that's seems to be needed with all of the ARC/CEC issues people have had with this TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler52 View Post
Shortly after I got the 55 c7 I tried ARC through my AVR X-2300 and it worked fine. Ran Netflix, Hulu and the Dolby Vision sample in the TV apps and all played fine. Now I just prefer to run everything through the AVR unprocessed and let the Tv handle picture settings, while letting the AVR handle sound. If you want to get a Denon be sure to check out Greentoe.com, got the TV there for a great price, and they have Denons at pretty good deals also, good luck.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
The market for separate components are not very big. As a result is seems that it is simpler and cheaper to get a full AVR that has pre outs to use as a decoder for those that want to use separate amps. That way you get to take advantage of the much larger market for full AVRs to get your modern decoder and video switching, while your much higher end amps will last years and not need upgrading for a long time.


So if you don't need that, you are much better off with just using a normal all in one AVR to run your speakers. Separate components cost more, not less, by a lot.


As for not putting video through the cable doing ARC, no I have never seen that claim. It doesn't make sense even. After all either you are sending video from the AVR to the TV or you are sending audio from the TV to the AVR. Never both at the same time, so there is no reason they should interfere at all. ARC uses CEC however, and that is hassle in many cases, and has nothing to do with the video signal being there or not.
Okay, roger that on separates. It makes sense when you consider economics of scale like that, and being more specialty, I can understand them not being evolved as rapidly as mass-market devices. Didn't want to rule out any particular avenue, though!

As far as having devices connected to the AVR or not, I was just going on some hearsay. What you say makes sense, though: when the source is attached to the AVR, it's handling the audio locally, and when the source is attached to the TV, video isn't being sent up from the AVR. (barring some technical glitch where a device attached to the AVR is on and sending video, even though its input isn't current on the TV, anyway)

Thanks all for the responses!
CyberWilhelm is offline  
post #32583 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
dabrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post
Question regarding 4K HDR 60fps/120fps

I am looking into building a high end PC for gaming and forgive me if this question sounds dumb or has been asked before but is gaming even possible in 4K HDR 60/120fps if I were to say theoretically buy the new Nvidia RTX 2080Ti card?? From what i recall the native refresh rate is 60hz on the panel right so does that mean that most you can game in is 60fps? What would happen if i were to feed the TV a 4K HDR 120fps signal??

Is there an HDMI bandwidth limitation with these panels that would make running in anything over 4K HDR 30fps impossible?? I know the PS4 will not allow it but am wondering about a high end rig combined with my 65E7??
The problem is HDMI. HDMI 2.0 (what the TV has) only allows 4k 60p, for more you require HDMI 2.1, which is probably built into next years LG 9 series. You will loose HDR with 60p though, so you have to either select HDR 30p or "no HDR 60p", unless you can live with a 4:2:0 pulldown.
See here for a good table about what HDMI 2.0 supports:
https://www.murideo.com/news/4k-hdr-...tem-integrator
Cheers
dabrit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32584 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Datagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 794
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi all,

Any suggestions on how to clean the glass screen on the C7 from dust buildup? Whats the safest and most effective way without damaging the screen? Thanks.

audiomanz
I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great for our OLED's and more...

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
Datagg is offline  
post #32585 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Europa
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
You can run 4K 60hz HDR, 1080p 60hz HDR, or 1080p 120hz SDR. 120hz and HDR doesn’t work. I believe a limitation of HDMI bandwidth
You can do 120hz HDR at 1080p.


Quoting myself

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post56642122


I'm pretty sure the 2017 should be the same.
bryantc is offline  
post #32586 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 04.71.00 - ( CALIBRATION REV. 3.5 - Sept. 2 18 )



HAPPY LABOR DAY!



The settings below are ALL NEW except for HDR10 technicolor Expert.



NOTE: This will probably be my last settings hurrah on this thread due to the fact that our sets are now out of production, and firmware updates from LG will no doubt be prioritized for current models; i.e. 2018 - 8 series. If something comes out that radically changes things, then I will take another look and run new calibrations. Otherwise, I think this is a wrap.



With that said, most 7 series models should benefit from the settings below. This is assuming that your panel’s performance / specs are fairly close to mine. Variances in panels may yield different results. For most of us, it should be very close. If the variance is less than 3%, you will enjoy an awesome SDR and HDR picture.



These are actual meter based calibration settings ( vs. disc based ) using a recently certified ( June 2017 ) Spectracal C6 meter, Murideo 6G pattern generator, and CalMan for Biz 2017.



SDR notes: A few days ago, I ran a calibration recheck to see if my TV’s colors and gray scale had drifted since the January calibration. There were very few differences - which is good news. I decided to spend a little more time, and try to get things as close to perfect as possible. As you will see with the attached Post Calibration screenshot for SDR technicolor Expert, things are almost perfect. On top of that, the adjustments to both the White Balance and CMS are extremely minor and well within single digits from the zero point. The SDR picture on my C7 looks phenomenal.



Dolby Vision notes: This is an ENTIRELY NEW revamp. The problem with the previous DV calibration was that I was allowing the EOTF curve to meander around like a river carving a new path. The delta errors looked good, but the gamma was all over which effected luminance performance especially in the mid and upper ranges where most content lives. The general complaint about the Dolby Vision "Cinema (User)" picture being too dark has been eliminated as the 2.2 gamma target is now flat across all IRE levels. This made a huge difference in the overall brightness of the picture will still providing those spectral highlights that everyone expects with HDR content. Again, I am very pleased with this picture, and it looks much better than the previous revision.



The Calman “DV custom" workflow allows the calibrator to create a special file just for 2017 LG OLED’s, which is saved to a thumb drive and then loaded into the TV. Spectracal, Dolby, and LG worked very closely together to create this awesome workflow. It’s actually faster and easier to go through than an SDR calibration. The DV “custom” workflow focuses on greyscale and once the 2 point and 20 point have been adjusted, Calman then creates the file ( plain text ) and the calibration session is complete. There are no other adjustments, and the CMS is left untouched.



If you are interested in taking a closer look at this file, you should send me a private message with an email address so I can send to you.



For those of you who have already received the previous DV file, I have already sent out a new one with the same settings as listed below.



Updated SDR post calibration screenshot attached.



SDR Settings

SDR Picture Mode: “technicolor Expert”

Energy Saving: Off



BASIC SETTINGS:

OLED LIGHT: 49

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 10

Color: 48

Tint: 0



EXPERT CONTROLS

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Super Resolution: Off

Color Gamut: Auto

Edge Enhancer: On

Color Filter: Off

Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )



WHITE BALANCE

Color Temperature: Warm2



Method: 2 Points

Low - R: 0, G: -1, B: 0

High - R: -5 G: 0, B: -1



Method: 20 Points

100 IRE R: -7, G: -6, B: -5

90 IRE R: 0, G: -9, B: -8

80 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0

70 IRE R: 0, G: -5, B: -7

60 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0

50 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0

40 IRE R: 0, G: 1, B: -1

30 IRE R: 0, G: -3, B: -4

20 IRE R: 0, G: 3, B: 2

10 IRE R: 0, G: 5, B: 6



COLOR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

RED Sat 0, Tint 0, Lum -1

GREEN Sat 0, Tint 0, Lum 2

BLUE Sat 2, Tint 1, Lum 5

CYAN Sat 2, Tint 2, Lum 2

MAGENTA Sat 2, Tint 5, Lum 0

YELLOW Sat 3, Tint 0, Lum -1



PICTURE OPTIONS

Noise Reduction : Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Black Level: Low

Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )

Motion Eye Care: Off

TrueMotion: Off



ISF OLED LIGHT SUGGESTED SETTINGS - SDR - LG OLED 7 SERIES PANELS

BRIGHT ROOM:

OLED LIGHT @ 49 = TV Foot Lumens of 55 ( Range 50-60 )

DIM ROOM:

OLED LIGHT @ 36 = TV Foot Lumens of 45 ( Range 40-50 )

DARK ROOM:

OLED LIGHT @ 25 = TV Foot Lumens of 35 ( Range 30-40 )





HDR10 Settings

HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert



BASIC SETTINGS:

OLED LIGHT: 70 ( This will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. 70 seems to be a “happy" medium )

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 10

Color: 55

Tint: 0



EXPERT CONTROLS

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Super Resolution: Off

Color Gamut: Auto

Edge Enhancer: On

Color Filter: Off

Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )



WHITE BALANCE

Color Temperature: Warm2

Method: 2 Points

High - R: -5, G: -3, B: 3

Low - R: 1 G: -1, B: -3



PICTURE OPTIONS

Noise Reduction : Off

MPEG Noise Reduction: Off

Black Level: Low

Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )

Motion Eye Care: Off

TrueMotion: Off



Dolby Vision Settings

DV Picture Mode: Cinema (User)



OLED Light: 70 (I have a medium bright room)

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 10

Color 50

Tint: 0



NOTE: The below settings must be accompanied with the installation of the DV calibration file as explained above.



WHITE BALANCE

Color Temperature: Warm2



Method: 2 Points

High R: -3, G: 1, B: 1

Low R: 5, G: -2, B: 2



Method: 20 Points

100 IRE R: 0, G: 1, B: -4

95 IRE R: -2, G: -4, B: -6

90 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -6

85 IRE R: -3, G: -6, B: -4

80 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -5

75 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8

70 IRE R: -7, G: -6, B: -8

65 IRE R: -9, G: -9, B: -9

60 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8

55 IRE R: -8, G: -10, B: -10

50 IRE R: -7, G: -8, B: -9

45 IRE R: -8, G: -9, B: -10

40 IRE R: -6, G: -7, B: -8

35 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -8

30 IRE R: 10, G: 9, B: 8

25 IRE R: 17, G: 17, B: 16

20 IRE R: 22, G: 22, B: 23

15 IRE R: 21, G: 22, B: 22

10 IRE R: 19, G: 21, B: 21

5 IRE R: 11 G: 14, B: 12





Enjoy. Feedback is welcome.



EDIT: Reversed the SDR technicolor Expert 2 point White Balance settings. They are now in the correct order.


When I go into White Balance and switch from 2 point, my other option is shown as 20 point code, this doesn’t appear to be 20 point IRE, any idea what’s going on and how I get 20 point IRE values to edit?

Many thanks!
Frazzler is offline  
post #32587 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,117
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7511 Post(s)
Liked: 7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi all,

Any suggestions on how to clean the glass screen on the C7 from dust buildup? Whats the safest and most effective way without damaging the screen? Thanks.

audiomanz
Micro Fiber Duster
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #32588 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzler View Post
When I go into White Balance and switch from 2 point, my other option is shown as 20 point code, this doesn’t appear to be 20 point IRE, any idea what’s going on and how I get 20 point IRE values to edit?

Many thanks!
The IRE levels are there, you just need to skip past the other settings options; i.e. Target Luminance, etc. and you will eventually get to IRE.
Frazzler likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32589 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
The IRE levels are there, you just need to skip past the other settings options; i.e. Target Luminance, etc. and you will eventually get to IRE.


Thank you so much for your help, it is very much appreciated. Best wishes to you.
Frazzler is offline  
post #32590 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Newbie
 
SpaceOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
1) The 2 point covers a wide IRE range in both the lower and higher luminance registers. You need to use both to get everything to balance. When calibrating, I start first with the 2 point - get that as close to perfect - and then move on the the 20 point. A good 2 point setting makes setting the 20 point less labor intensive.
2) With SDR technicolor Expert, the RGB balance scanned almost dead on without making any adjustments. So I decided to skip the 5's as I didn't need them to improve the picture.
3) Inner and outer has to do with how you set up the external pattern generator for calibration. I leave them at their default settings. I can't remember at the moment which is which, but I don't change them whatever they are.
Once again, thanks to sonoftumble. After spending a couple of days with the new (for me) SDR, HDR, and DV calibrations, the OLED I always loved (65C7) has gotten even better!

I have googled tutorials on 2-point vs 20-point IRE methods, but I have not found anything super helpful. Thus I'm still confused in regards to my original questions (and I'm hoping sonoftumble or another expert can educate me):

1) Original question: "If one is selected, is the other ignored?" That ought to be a yes or no answer... If I pick 20-point method is the 2-point input ignored or is the 20-point input on top of the 2-point input? I get that 2 points (high/low luminance is a course adjustment and 20-point is a fine adjustment). Questions is, do they stand on their own or are they additive? From sonoftumble's answer, I'm thinking the answer is that 20-point is additive on top of 2-point, but I'm not sure...

2) Original question: "what is the deal about setting the 20-point method with only 10 points? How does the TV fill in the missing values?" I understand that sonoftumble is saying that the 10 points are sufficient, but does anyone know how the in between values (IRE 5, 15, 25, etc.) are filled in? Are they interpolated from the values input (10, 20, etc) or are they interpreted by the TV as zeros? In the later case, it seem to me that manually interpolating (e.g. making 15 the average of 10 and 20) would be the better approach...

Thank you to the people who "knows" for educating those of us who's learning...
SpaceOut is offline  
post #32591 of 37290 Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOut View Post
Once again, thanks to sonoftumble. After spending a couple of days with the new (for me) SDR, HDR, and DV calibrations, the OLED I always loved (65C7) has gotten even better!

I have googled tutorials on 2-point vs 20-point IRE methods, but I have not found anything super helpful. Thus I'm still confused in regards to my original questions (and I'm hoping sonoftumble or another expert can educate me):

1) Original question: "If one is selected, is the other ignored?" That ought to be a yes or no answer... If I pick 20-point method is the 2-point input ignored or is the 20-point input on top of the 2-point input? I get that 2 points (high/low luminance is a course adjustment and 20-point is a fine adjustment). Questions is, do they stand on their own or are they additive? From sonoftumble's answer, I'm thinking the answer is that 20-point is additive on top of 2-point, but I'm not sure...

2) Original question: "what is the deal about setting the 20-point method with only 10 points? How does the TV fill in the missing values?" I understand that sonoftumble is saying that the 10 points are sufficient, but does anyone know how the in between values (IRE 5, 15, 25, etc.) are filled in? Are they interpolated from the values input (10, 20, etc) or are they interpreted by the TV as zeros? In the later case, it seem to me that manually interpolating (e.g. making 15 the average of 10 and 20) would be the better approach...

Thank you to the people who "knows" for educating those of us who's learning...
I want to preface my answer with this: Until you've seen how the TV reacts to settings changes while taking readings and running a calibration workflow, you won't fully fathom the interactive/reactive/polar behavior or impact that one setting change can make. For example, if I raise the color Red, Green might drop, and possibly Blue will go up at the same time. It becomes a balancing act, and this behavior at one IRE level may also impact other IRE levels. It's not as compartmentalized as you might believe.

I have attached the SDR technicolor Expert post calibration screenshot which includes the 20 point chart. It should be pretty obvious why I skipped the 5 point increments as it wouldn't have made the delta line any flatter. My TV is almost perfectly calibrated for SDR. Part of the reason why this chart looks as good as it does is because these LG OLED's are simply fantastic performing TV's. They make me look good - to say the least.

20 point is not additive to 2 point, and 2 point is not simply "2" points. It covers more like 10-50 points on the offset and 60-100 points on the gain. I may only take readings at the 30 and 80 IRE's, but the 2 point is covering/impacting a wider IRE range than just those two points.

You can skip a 20 point adjustment and still have a decent picture ( depends on the quality of the TV ), but you should never skip the 2 point regardless of whether the TV also provides a 10/20 point adjustment.

Finally, the TV doesn't interpolate anything. All we're doing with the 20 point is trying to achieve RGB balance to generate a correct gray scale across the entire 0 to 100 IRE range.

Hope these answers help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 10.26.46 AM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	2454256  
Cam1977 and Frazzler like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32592 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bob brennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi all,

Any suggestions on how to clean the glass screen on the C7 from dust buildup? Whats the safest and most effective way without damaging the screen? Thanks.

audiomanz
From monoprice cleaner & cloth $2.87 ($19.95 @ best buy) and get a few certified HDMI when you are there! https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
bob brennan is offline  
post #32593 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 05:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I want to preface my answer with this: Until you've seen how the TV reacts to settings changes while taking readings and running a calibration workflow, you won't fully fathom the interactive/reactive/polar behavior or impact that one setting change can make. For example, if I raise the color Red, Green might drop, and possibly Blue will go up at the same time. It becomes a balancing act, and this behavior at one IRE level may also impact other IRE levels. It's not as compartmentalized as you might believe.

I have attached the SDR technicolor Expert post calibration screenshot which includes the 20 point chart. It should be pretty obvious why I skipped the 5 point increments as it wouldn't have made the delta line any flatter. My TV is almost perfectly calibrated for SDR. Part of the reason why this chart looks as good as it does is because these LG OLED's are simply fantastic performing TV's. They make me look good - to say the least.

20 point is not additive to 2 point, and 2 point is not simply "2" points. It covers more like 10-50 points on the offset and 60-100 points on the gain. I may only take readings at the 30 and 80 IRE's, but the 2 point is covering/impacting a wider IRE range than just those two points.

You can skip a 20 point adjustment and still have a decent picture ( depends on the quality of the TV ), but you should never skip the 2 point regardless of whether the TV also provides a 10/20 point adjustment.

Finally, the TV doesn't interpolate anything. All we're doing with the 20 point is trying to achieve RGB balance to generate a correct gray scale across the entire 0 to 100 IRE range.

Hope these answers help.
Maybe this was answered before, but I've read quite a lot and didn't find it: Does your calibration guide apply to a 55 inch B7p?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
VonSohn is online now  
post #32594 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 105
ive searched through the thread and cant seem to find an answer to this. does anyone know of a way to get the lg magic remote to control a (non CEC) receiver's volume? i have everything going to the tv first, then one cable to the receiver via arc. everything works great when changing sources. the only problem is i have a second remote just for changing volume on the receiver. i'd hate to spend $500 on an new receiver when i have no desire for atmos.i tried my old harmony 650 but the lack of the home and stbmenu buttons was a challenge. the lg remote is perfect, if it would just control receiver volume. thanks.
Patrick Randall is offline  
post #32595 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
ive searched through the thread and cant seem to find an answer to this. does anyone know of a way to get the lg magic remote to control a (non CEC) receiver's volume? i have everything going to the tv first, then one cable to the receiver via arc. everything works great when changing sources. the only problem is i have a second remote just for changing volume on the receiver. i'd hate to spend $500 on an new receiver when i have no desire for atmos.i tried my old harmony 650 but the lack of the home and stbmenu buttons was a challenge. the lg remote is perfect, if it would just control receiver volume. thanks.

How can you have a receiver that does ARC without doing CEC? ARC uses CEC. Is it just disabled on the receiver in the settings perhaps?

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is online now  
post #32596 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSohn View Post
Maybe this was answered before, but I've read quite a lot and didn't find it: Does your calibration guide apply to a 55 inch B7p?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Yes - it should work just fine. The standard panel variance disclaimer still applies as it would for any of the models regardless of screen size. However, the variances are more minute with the LG OLED's.

VonSohn likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32597 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,293
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
How can you have a receiver that does ARC without doing CEC? ARC uses CEC. Is it just disabled on the receiver in the settings perhaps?
My Marantz receiver does ARC without CEC active. CEC is disabled on the receiver in the settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
ive searched through the thread and cant seem to find an answer to this. does anyone know of a way to get the lg magic remote to control a (non CEC) receiver's volume? i have everything going to the tv first, then one cable to the receiver via arc. everything works great when changing sources. the only problem is i have a second remote just for changing volume on the receiver. i'd hate to spend $500 on an new receiver when i have no desire for atmos.i tried my old harmony 650 but the lack of the home and stbmenu buttons was a challenge. the lg remote is perfect, if it would just control receiver volume. thanks.
I use a Harmony 665, which is pretty much identical to the 650. I lose the wand feature, but everything else works. You can program stuff like Home into an on-screen button. The codes are already in the Harmony database.

So, what I do is use the Harmony for everything, and then just occasionally use the LG remote for its wand function, esp. when I'm fiddling with the LG's settings.
Culpepper likes this.

Last edited by BuGsArEtAsTy; 09-12-2018 at 07:15 AM.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #32598 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,919
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
My Marantz receiver does ARC without CEC active. CEC is disabled on the receiver in the settings.


I use a Harmony 665, which is pretty much identical to the 650. I lose the wand feature, but everything else works. You can program stuff like Home into an on-screen button. The codes are already in the Harmony database.

So, what I do is use the Harmony for everything, and then just occasionally use the LG remote for its wand function, esp. when I'm fiddling with the LG's settings.

CEC is what allows the remote commands to pass through as far as I know. So if you want it to work, keep CEC enabled.


And my point was it has to support CEC to have ARC. Sure you have some where they can let you disable CEC in general while selectively still doing just enough for ARC. But the receiver still does support CEC.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is online now  
post #32599 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,293
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
CEC is what allows the remote commands to pass through as far as I know. So if you want it to work, keep CEC enabled.
I don't want the remote commands to pass through. I just want ARC.

On the LG TVs you must have CEC active to use ARC. (Their settings are stupid though since you can turn off CEC and still turn on ARC, but it doesn't work.)

However, on my receiver I can turn on ARC, but turn off CEC commands.

That lets me use ARC without letting the LG TV mess with my receiver's control.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #32600 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
CEC is what allows the remote commands to pass through as far as I know. So if you want it to work, keep CEC enabled.


And my point was it has to support CEC to have ARC. Sure you have some where they can let you disable CEC in general while selectively still doing just enough for ARC. But the receiver still does support CEC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I don't want the remote commands to pass through. I just want ARC.

On the LG TVs you must have CEC active to use ARC. (Their settings are stupid though since you can turn off CEC and still turn on ARC, but it doesn't work.)

However, on my receiver I can turn on ARC, but turn off CEC commands.

That lets me use ARC without letting the LG TV mess with my receiver's control.
Just a side note on this discussion. My Vizio M70-D3 allows me to set it to "ARC Only" - I wish my LG offered the same option. Additionally, my Pioneer AVR allows me to turn on ARC and turn off "Control" ( a.k.a. CEC ). ARC works like a champ on my Vizio / Pioneer combo.

I could never get it to work with my C7. I now use an A/V distribution switch, so I don't need nor miss ARC.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 09-12-2018 at 07:55 AM.
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32601 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jkcheng122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,784
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
I don't want the remote commands to pass through. I just want ARC.

On the LG TVs you must have CEC active to use ARC. (Their settings are stupid though since you can turn off CEC and still turn on ARC, but it doesn't work.)

However, on my receiver I can turn on ARC, but turn off CEC commands.

That lets me use ARC without letting the LG TV mess with my receiver's control.
I think with HDMI/CEC features, manufacturers no longer make their device remotes universal/programmable like before. Back in the days receiver remotes usually can be programmed via a MFG code and be able to control basic functions of other devices. I don't believe LG's remote is capable, so w/o CEC turned on you'd never be able to adjust receiver's volume with your LG remote. Your solutions are either turn on CEC on the receiver, check if it has detail settings that allow you to decide which aspects of the receiver can be controlled via CEC, or get a Harmony remote.

Like the other poster said, outside of the wand features of the LG remote, everything else can be replicated on Harmony.
jkcheng122 is offline  
post #32602 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Newbie
 
SpaceOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I want to preface my answer with this: Until you've seen how the TV reacts to settings changes while taking readings and running a calibration workflow, you won't fully fathom the interactive/reactive/polar behavior or impact that one setting change can make. For example, if I raise the color Red, Green might drop, and possibly Blue will go up at the same time. It becomes a balancing act, and this behavior at one IRE level may also impact other IRE levels. It's not as compartmentalized as you might believe.

I have attached the SDR technicolor Expert post calibration screenshot which includes the 20 point chart. It should be pretty obvious why I skipped the 5 point increments as it wouldn't have made the delta line any flatter. My TV is almost perfectly calibrated for SDR. Part of the reason why this chart looks as good as it does is because these LG OLED's are simply fantastic performing TV's. They make me look good - to say the least.

20 point is not additive to 2 point, and 2 point is not simply "2" points. It covers more like 10-50 points on the offset and 60-100 points on the gain. I may only take readings at the 30 and 80 IRE's, but the 2 point is covering/impacting a wider IRE range than just those two points.

You can skip a 20 point adjustment and still have a decent picture ( depends on the quality of the TV ), but you should never skip the 2 point regardless of whether the TV also provides a 10/20 point adjustment.

Finally, the TV doesn't interpolate anything. All we're doing with the 20 point is trying to achieve RGB balance to generate a correct gray scale across the entire 0 to 100 IRE range.

Hope these answers help.
sonoftumble; I appreciate your patience with me. I was clearly to simplistic/mathematical about these corrections. I was assuming that these IRE corrections were applied separately for red, green, and blue as a transfer function between the picture input and the 10 bits eventually going to the panel. I was assuming that 2 points was effectively a linear correction as a function of IRE/brightness (2 points defines offset and slope, but obviously 2 points could also define another simple curve) and I was assuming that the 20 point correction, basically set the correction for a particular IRE value and neighboring IRE values per a defined weighing function (triangle, cubic spline, whatever), which is what I would call the interpolation. Anyway, the TV looks great and I think I'll just give up on fully understanding the math behind the calibration and just enjoy. Thanks again for helping those of us who neither has equipment or expertise to do a quality calibration on our own!
sonoftumble likes this.
SpaceOut is offline  
post #32603 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 04.71.00 - ( CALIBRATION REV. 3.5 - Sept. 2 18 )

HAPPY LABOR DAY!

The settings below are ALL NEW except for HDR10 technicolor Expert.

NOTE: This will probably be my last settings hurrah on this thread due to the fact that our sets are now out of production, and firmware updates from LG will no doubt be prioritized for current models; i.e. 2018 - 8 series. If something comes out that radically changes things, then I will take another look and run new calibrations. Otherwise, I think this is a wrap...
sonoftumble, this may be your last hurrah for this thread but your efforts on behalf of this community will always be appreciated. Thank you! I sat down earlier tonight and updated you previous calibration values with these new ones, and I have to say I see a clear improvement. The previous calibration made a marked improvement from the default factory values. These simply make them even better to my eye. I made the SDR corrections while tuned into a TV channel, and applied the changes to all the inputs. Then I went to Plex and Prime Video to see if the changes had carried over. They had. But I noticed one curious oddity: In the Picture Options setting, Black Level was set to AUTO and greyed out. There was no way of adjusting the Black Level to "Low." Is this normal behavior, and what does this mean?
smoore, euckersw, MoInSTL and 2 others like this.
jhumur is offline  
post #32604 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
. But I noticed one curious oddity: In the Picture Options setting, Black Level was set to AUTO and greyed out. There was no way of adjusting the Black Level to "Low." Is this normal behavior, and what does this mean?
It's normal. The internal apps know what the black level of the source is. Only with HDMI inputs does the TV need you to tell it what the black level is.
jhumur and sonoftumble like this.
barth2 is offline  
post #32605 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
jhumur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
It's normal. The internal apps know what the black level of the source is. Only with HDMI inputs does the TV need you to tell it what the black level is.
Aah, yes of course. Makes perfect sense! Thank you.
sonoftumble likes this.
jhumur is offline  
post #32606 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
audiomanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great for our OLED's and more...
Hi Datagg..thank you for the tip. Much appreciated.

audiomanz
Datagg likes this.
audiomanz is offline  
post #32607 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
audiomanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
From monoprice cleaner & cloth $2.87 ($19.95 @ best buy) and get a few certified HDMI when you are there! https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Hi bob brennan,

Monoprice and its rock bottom prices. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

audiomanz
audiomanz is offline  
post #32608 of 37290 Old 09-12-2018, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOut View Post
sonoftumble; I appreciate your patience with me. I was clearly to simplistic/mathematical about these corrections. I was assuming that these IRE corrections were applied separately for red, green, and blue as a transfer function between the picture input and the 10 bits eventually going to the panel. I was assuming that 2 points was effectively a linear correction as a function of IRE/brightness (2 points defines offset and slope, but obviously 2 points could also define another simple curve) and I was assuming that the 20 point correction, basically set the correction for a particular IRE value and neighboring IRE values per a defined weighing function (triangle, cubic spline, whatever), which is what I would call the interpolation. Anyway, the TV looks great and I think I'll just give up on fully understanding the math behind the calibration and just enjoy. Thanks again for helping those of us who neither has equipment or expertise to do a quality calibration on our own!
No worries. Most of what you are describing actually happens when we are working with EOTF and 10/12 bit signals/metadata found in HDR content.

For SDR, we use traditional gamma curves which is a completely different approach to solving the same problem.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #32609 of 37290 Old 09-13-2018, 01:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG B7 LipSync problems on soundbar

I have bought a cheap ”No name” soundbar to have with my B7 until i find a good deal on an Atmos soundbar. Problem is that the sound is out of sync, i have obviously tried the Lipsync setting on the B7 and that isn’t helping eneough, it gets better but it’s still a bit out of sync, and the soundbar haven’t any Lipsync setting. It’s very annoying watching the TV when TV is out of sync.
The TV to soundbar is connected through HDMI (ARC) on the soundbar to HDMI (ARC) on the TV.

So my question is if there is anything else i can do to improve the sync of the sound?

Is this a problem on the soundbar or the
TV, i don’t want this same problem on a more expensive Atmos soundbar?
One would think that the Lipsync setting on the B7 should sync the sound perfectly, but apparently not?
TheGadget is offline  
post #32610 of 37290 Old 09-13-2018, 05:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGadget View Post
I have bought a cheap ”No name” soundbar to have with my B7 until i find a good deal on an Atmos soundbar. Problem is that the sound is out of sync, i have obviously tried the Lipsync setting on the B7 and that isn’t helping eneough, it gets better but it’s still a bit out of sync, and the soundbar haven’t any Lipsync setting. It’s very annoying watching the TV when TV is out of sync.
The TV to soundbar is connected through HDMI (ARC) on the soundbar to HDMI (ARC) on the TV.

So my question is if there is anything else i can do to improve the sync of the sound?

Is this a problem on the soundbar or the
TV, i don’t want this same problem on a more expensive Atmos soundbar?
One would think that the Lipsync setting on the B7 should sync the sound perfectly, but apparently not?
It seems this is hit or miss on a lot of people's soundbars with this TV, from what I've read here. The solution for most people has been to just use an optical cable instead, which should rid you of any lip sync issues. This should work fine especially since this soundbar doesn't support atmos.
wrathek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off