2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1088 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980770Likes

post #32611 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
My Marantz receiver does ARC without CEC active. CEC is disabled on the receiver in the settings.

I use a Harmony 665, which is pretty much identical to the 650. I lose the wand feature, but everything else works. You can program stuff like Home into an on-screen button. The codes are already in the Harmony database.

So, what I do is use the Harmony for everything, and then just occasionally use the LG remote for its wand function, esp. when I'm fiddling with the LG's settings.
the challenge im having - if im watching xfinity, use the home button i have programed on the 650, the arrows buttons control the xfinity box, not the lg os onscreen menu...ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32612 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
How can you have a receiver that does ARC without doing CEC? ARC uses CEC. Is it just disabled on the receiver in the settings perhaps?
i misspoke - its not cec, im using a single audio out hdmi cable from the lg tv to the reciever. its works great...if i could jut control receiver volume using the magic remote.
post #32613 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Randall View Post
i misspoke - its not cec, im using a single audio out hdmi cable from the lg tv to the reciever. its works great...if i could jut control receiver volume using the magic remote.

Are you by any chance using optical not hdmi? As far as I know the only way you can get audio from the TV to a receiver with HDMI is using ARC which requires CEC support on both ends. Optical on the other hand would work, and have the problem of no volume control.

Which receiver model is this?

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32614 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Are you by any chance using optical not hdmi? As far as I know the only way you can get audio from the TV to a receiver with HDMI is using ARC which requires CEC support on both ends. Optical on the other hand would work, and have the problem of no volume control.

Which receiver model is this?
youre probably right on the optical cable. i messed with it for a day or so right when i got the tv and havent touched it since. cable box, ps3, firetv, blu ray player to the tv via hdmi - audio out to receiver via optical. its a yamaha htr-6140
post #32615 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
youre probably right on the optical cable. i messed with it for a day or so right when i got the tv and havent touched it since. cable box, ps3, firetv, blu ray player to the tv via hdmi - audio out to receiver via optical. its a yamaha htr-6140

Yeah no ARC on that (HDMI 1.2 certainly predates ARC which was added in HDMI 1.4).

Unfortunately the LG remote isn't programable, so either you use two remotes, or you use something like a harmony and loose the wand feature. Neither option seems great. I guess if you some day do decide to upgrade your AVR it would solve it, but short of spending that kind of money there doesn't seem to be any good solution, just a few not so good options.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #32616 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah no ARC on that (HDMI 1.2 certainly predates ARC which was added in HDMI 1.4).

Unfortunately the LG remote isn't programable, so either you use two remotes, or you use something like a harmony and loose the wand feature. Neither option seems great. I guess if you some day do decide to upgrade your AVR it would solve it, but short of spending that kind of money there doesn't seem to be any good solution, just a few not so good options.
i dont use the wand. i guess ill play with harmony 650 to see i can get it to have the arrows control the on screen menu and not the cable box.

Last edited by Patrick Randall; 09-13-2018 at 07:41 AM.
post #32617 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7506 Post(s)
Liked: 7538
Quote:
ive searched through the thread and cant seem to find an answer to this. does anyone know of a way to get the lg magic remote to control a (non CEC) receiver's volume? i have everything going to the tv first, then one cable to the receiver via arc. everything works great when changing sources. the only problem is i have a second remote just for changing volume on the receiver. i'd hate to spend $500 on an new receiver when i have no desire for atmos.i tried my old harmony 650 but the lack of the home and stbmenu buttons was a challenge. the lg remote is perfect, if it would just control receiver volume. thanks.
If you do not want to spend $500 on the new receiver use the two remotes Other option is to get a "good" universal remote and control all your goods there. They even have phone app universal remotes
post #32618 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Advice to protect my B7p from burn-in using a PC.

I want to dedicate a PC to gaming (100% gaming) and connect it to my B7p.

I was wondering which settings are the best to prevent burn-in.

I will be using Windows 10 so these are my thoughts:

- Put a black background
- Auto hide the taskbar
- No icons visible on desktop
- I will use big picture mode on Steam
- I will activate the screen saver

I am not able to find a setting where the screen saver will go ON in a game, I have tested it and while in Steam big picture or anywhere else it goes ON but not in a game. Is there any option say I don't touch the controls for 'x' minutes the screen saver will pop?

Any other advice or Windows settings would be appreciated.
thanks.
post #32619 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoHero View Post
Thanks for the info. It does seem that something is wrong with my unit, since both of my PCs (laptop and desktop) and both my desktop's video outputs (Intel and Radeon) all show the 4096x2160 resolution for this screen as the (native) or (recommended) resolution. Plus, setting it to 3840x2160 res in PC mode provides an image that doesn't fit across the entirety of the screen. I'm surprised no one else's sets are acting in the same way, but having hard info to that fact is very helpful in getting this issue resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
I have my PC with a Radeon graphics card hooked up to my B7A. It has always shown 4096x2160 as the recommended resolution. When I change to 3840x2160 it does not fit the whole screen either so I just left it at 4096x2160. Never considered it a problem as I don't game on the PC I just surf. By the way it shows the same resolution when in PC mode or not.
Sorry to be chiming in on this so late (I'm catching up from about two months of posts), but it sounds like you both are having the same issue I had back in the early-ish days of the thread. This solution worked for me, and I've had no trouble since.
post #32620 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGadget View Post
I have bought a cheap ”No name” soundbar to have with my B7 until i find a good deal on an Atmos soundbar. Problem is that the sound is out of sync, i have obviously tried the Lipsync setting on the B7 and that isn’t helping eneough, it gets better but it’s still a bit out of sync, and the soundbar haven’t any Lipsync setting. It’s very annoying watching the TV when TV is out of sync.
The TV to soundbar is connected through HDMI (ARC) on the soundbar to HDMI (ARC) on the TV.

So my question is if there is anything else i can do to improve the sync of the sound?

Is this a problem on the soundbar or the
TV, i don’t want this same problem on a more expensive Atmos soundbar?
One would think that the Lipsync setting on the B7 should sync the sound perfectly, but apparently not?
I could never solver the Lip Sync issue. I tried multiple sound bars, with and without ARC, but nothing seemed to work. Built in Apps seemed OK, as did my Roku, but DirecTV was way off. It help to disable Dolby Digital on the DirecTV receiver, but it still wasn't perfect. Some channels were also worse than others. I gave up on using a soundbar and dug out and old receiver out of the basement. I run optical from the TV for all the built in stuff, and a separate optical cable directly from the DirecTV DVR to the receiver. If your soundbar had multiple inputs you could do the same thing, but the ones I had wouldn't consistently change to the correct input.

My Theater Build: The Underground Apolkalypse Theater
Marantz SR7010, Monolith 7 Amplifier, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Epson 5040ub, Oppo UHD-203 Player, Xbox One, nVidia Shield
Atmos 7.3.4 - Polk 2x RTiA9, CSiA6, 2x FXiA6, 2x RTIA3, 4x 70-RT
PowerSoundAudio XS30, Sunfire 2x - HRS-12 12" Subwoofers
post #32621 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EDID Set to PCM...No More DD

In response to audio delay/lip sync issue LG sent a tech to my home. I have a 65B7. Tech went into the service menu and set the EDID to PCM. That corrected the lip sync issue - and - the TV no longer passes a Dolby Digital audio via HDMI. I confirmed this by sending a diagnostic to Sonos who verified the stereo signal.

I've a Sonos Beam that connects to TV via HDMI-ARC. Beam is supposed to receive a DD signal however it appears that it can't since the tech set the EDID to PCM.

Do I need to go back into the TV's service menu and change the EDID setting so the TV will pass through DD?
post #32622 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Service Menu EDID Blocking DD?

Hello. My B7 is connected to a Sonos Beam. When I stream Netflix/Amazon through the TV to the Beam via HDMI ARC it outputs a Dolby Digital codec to the Beam.

However, when I watch Optimum cable content through the cable box/TV connection the codec output is PCM. I confirmed the Samsung cable box is set for DD. It seems like the B7 is only passing through PCM.

In response to a lip sync problem LG sent a service rep who went into the service menu and set it to PCM. That corrected the lip sync but disabled DD.

I'd like the Beam to receive a DD signal when I'm watching cable TV programming with HD 5.1. Any thoughts on what might be happening to block the DD signal? I think it's a service menu issue.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
post #32623 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettaman View Post
In response to audio delay/lip sync issue LG sent a tech to my home. I have a 65B7. Tech went into the service menu and set the EDID to PCM. That corrected the lip sync issue - and - the TV no longer passes a Dolby Digital audio via HDMI. I confirmed this by sending a diagnostic to Sonos who verified the stereo signal.

I've a Sonos Beam that connects to TV via HDMI-ARC. Beam is supposed to receive a DD signal however it appears that it can't since the tech set the EDID to PCM.

Do I need to go back into the TV's service menu and change the EDID setting so the TV will pass through DD?

From having read these threads for the last couple of years it seems a lot of LG users have sync issues for audio.

Now as far as I can tell:

There is never a problem with stereo sound (so PCM).
There is sometimes a problem with DD or DD+. Sometimes optical is worse than ARC (perhaps ARC sometimes fixes the sync, while optical has no feedback and hence can't).
Atmos enabled seems to make it worse than atmos disabled.

So setting the TV to claim to only support PCM obviously fixed it, but also kills all surround support. Hardly a fix. Dumb technician in my opinion. Breaking one thing to fix another is not fixing anything.

Len Sorensen

post #32624 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
So I'm pretty much convinced that the issue with dark HDR game mode content is the implementation and not this TV. I've been playing PUBG on Xbox One X for the past few months and I noticed that since the last update the dark HDR problem I've had with this game went away and all of a sudden it's so bright and vivid I had to turn the OLED light down. None of the indoor darkness issues I had everything looks great.

I think the onus lies on the game developers and how they implement HDR, not on LG to increase contrast and brightness artificially. Also more games should have a luminance slider like on Assassin's Creed Origins to let us adjust depending on what type of TV we use.
post #32625 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If you do not want to spend $500 on the new receiver use the two remotes Other option is to get a "good" universal remote and control all your goods there. They even have phone app universal remotes
yea thanks. i have a harmony 650 and programmed a home button, when i click it the app list at the bottom of the screen comes up, but the arrows control whatever device im currently on (cable box, blu ray, etc). unless i can figure it out...2 remotes it is.
post #32626 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 240
So whatever happened to the Technicolor HDR update? Is it still happening?
post #32627 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
yea thanks. i have a harmony 650 and programmed a home button, when i click it the app list at the bottom of the screen comes up, but the arrows control whatever device im currently on (cable box, blu ray, etc). unless i can figure it out...2 remotes it is.
Are you trying to switch from watching Xfinity, Blu-ray, etc. to an app on the TV?

Create a separate activity on the Harmony for TV apps.
post #32628 of 37289 Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I seem to recall that quite some time ago sonoftumbe made reference to an upcoming but unspecified feature in an upcoming but unspecified FW update he couldn't describe (I believe due to an NDA), other than to say that it was something likely so big it would knock our socks off (or something to that effect). Is that "knock our socks off" feature (whatever it is): [1] still in the works, [2] no longer in the works or [3] something I might've missed?

I suspect option [3] isn't likely, because I'm running 04.71.00 - the latest FW update - and I don't recall that any of its features were really anything special to write home about, nor were any features of the preceding more minor FW updates that weren't made available through auto-update here in the US.

Any updated word on "what", "whether" or "when" with respect to that unspecified featur? "Inquiring minds" and all that...

-Thanks!
simonk83, Ricker62 and desiwood like this.
post #32629 of 37289 Old 09-14-2018, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle View Post
I want to dedicate a PC to gaming (100% gaming) and connect it to my B7p.

I was wondering which settings are the best to prevent burn-in.

I will be using Windows 10 so these are my thoughts:

- Put a black background
- Auto hide the taskbar
- No icons visible on desktop
- I will use big picture mode on Steam
- I will activate the screen saver

I am not able to find a setting where the screen saver will go ON in a game, I have tested it and while in Steam big picture or anywhere else it goes ON but not in a game. Is there any option say I don't touch the controls for 'x' minutes the screen saver will pop?

Any other advice or Windows settings would be appreciated.
thanks.
I think you need to go to the desktop and right click/Personalise/Screen Saver/Wait. Here you set a time and how it is supposed to work is it should kick in after the set period of inactivity. It works for all my apps but I'm afraid I don't game so can not be sure if it's the setting you need.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #32630 of 37289 Old 09-14-2018, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post
I seem to recall that quite some time ago sonoftumbe made reference to an upcoming but unspecified feature in an upcoming but unspecified FW update he couldn't describe (I believe due to an NDA), other than to say that it was something likely so big it would knock our socks off (or something to that effect). Is that "knock our socks off" feature (whatever it is): [1] still in the works, [2] no longer in the works or [3] something I might've missed?

I suspect option [3] isn't likely, because I'm running 04.71.00 - the latest FW update - and I don't recall that any of its features were really anything special to write home about, nor were any features of the preceding more minor FW updates that weren't made available through auto-update here in the US.

Any updated word on "what", "whether" or "when" with respect to that unspecified featur? "Inquiring minds" and all that...

-Thanks!
My recollection is that he indicated that the update has been made. I gather it is like HDR10, HLG and DV. When content contains this HDR signal a flag will appear in the upper right corner. However, as there is no content yet no one has seen the flag.
post #32631 of 37289 Old 09-14-2018, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino View Post
So I'm pretty much convinced that the issue with dark HDR game mode content is the implementation and not this TV. I've been playing PUBG on Xbox One X for the past few months and I noticed that since the last update the dark HDR problem I've had with this game went away and all of a sudden it's so bright and vivid I had to turn the OLED light down. None of the indoor darkness issues I had everything looks great.

I think the onus lies on the game developers and how they implement HDR, not on LG to increase contrast and brightness artificially. Also more games should have a luminance slider like on Assassin's Creed Origins to let us adjust depending on what type of TV we use.
You're mostly correct. If all games implemented HDR control properly, there would be no issues. However, certain gaims just go for the default way to handle tone mapping, which is to clip off brightness that the TV can't show. This is what every TV manufacturer is doing, other than LG, so it's natural that developers assume this as the default.

However, most developers don't really know how to use HDR well and they don't implement it in a proper way, so, yeah, a lot of the blame is on them.

Games with proper controls can have some amazingly bright and powerful HDR presentations on LG OLEDs. For example, Destiny 2 can be set up in such a way that can make your eyes bleed, Shadow of Tomb Raider also looks excellent, Battlefield V Beta looks great - so we can hope the issue will be almost non existant with upcoming games.

Last edited by ivanzorkic; 09-14-2018 at 04:57 AM.
post #32632 of 37289 Old 09-14-2018, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Today my brother messed up with my tv settings so i have to do a reset settings in the ISF Dark mode.

good damn, oled light 60 looks SO ****ING GOOD, amazing how much shadow detail and colors pop with that high brightness.

sadly as soon the nigh fall the eye strain and headache star to kick in very fast
Cam1977 likes this.
post #32633 of 37289 Old 09-14-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3312 Post(s)
Liked: 4082
^bias lighting is your best friend! I keep my OLED light at 55!!!
alexbarbel likes this.
post #32634 of 37289 Old 09-15-2018, 02:58 AM

I have a question - so I have a C7 and I live in Europe (Serbia) and my firmware has been the same ever since I got it: 4.70.85. Now, I know there are newer ones, I think 4.71.00 or something, and they have been around for a while - so, am I going to get that update or do I have to do it manually in the end? I am not impatient, but I have a feeling it may never come 🙂
post #32635 of 37289 Old 09-15-2018, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Dumb question here but can I manually enter sonoftumbles settings or do I have to put them on a stick and then put it on the tv. Thanks in advance. I've been using out the box settings and I think the tv looks amazing.

Bxbigpipi
post #32636 of 37289 Old 09-15-2018, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
I have a question - so I have a C7 and I live in Europe (Serbia) and my firmware has been the same ever since I got it: 4.70.85. Now, I know there are newer ones, I think 4.71.00 or something, and they have been around for a while - so, am I going to get that update or do I have to do it manually in the end? I am not impatient, but I have a feeling it may never come 🙂
You have a European model (like me), they don't use the same firmware as the American and Asian ones.
Don't try to use the wrong firmware on your set, or your tuner (or other parts) might stop working.
post #32637 of 37289 Old 09-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Are you trying to switch from watching Xfinity, Blu-ray, etc. to an app on the TV?

Create a separate activity on the Harmony for TV apps.
it worked!!! you just saved me $500. last time i tried a year or so ago the myharmony software didnt have "watch smart tv" as a function choice. thank you!
cherry ghost and Culpepper like this.
post #32638 of 37289 Old 09-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
You have a European model (like me), they don't use the same firmware as the American and Asian ones.
Don't try to use the wrong firmware on your set, or your tuner (or other parts) might stop working.
Thanks for the reply!
post #32639 of 37289 Old 09-15-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
I doubt that it would be possible to get an inappropriate firmware to install.

I don't recommend trying the experiment, though.
post #32640 of 37289 Old 09-15-2018, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post
Dumb question here but can I manually enter sonoftumbles settings or do I have to put them on a stick and then put it on the tv. Thanks in advance. I've been using out the box settings and I think the tv looks amazing.
Manually enter all the settings for each dynamic range; i.e. SDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision. The stick is only for Dolby Vision. The file on the stick is for color correction, and is intended to accompany the 2 and 20 point settings for that format.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page