2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1096 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980365Likes

post #32851 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
What are the video settings on your AppleTV, and what picture mode(s) are you using on your C7?
I posted some photos last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32852 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
What are the video settings on your AppleTV, and what picture mode(s) are you using on your C7?
I will check the video settings for the Apple TV after i get back from the gym.
I'm using standard user picture mode for most viewing.
post #32853 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Priceless

I just installed a C8 in the bedroom this afternoon, LG’s is the same length as the Samsung LCD it replaced, it’s just located on the wrong side of the display for the length to work for me. Anyway I fished a nice heavy gauge extension cord through the wall and that’s it.
I don’t think it’s legal (insurance wise) to run a extension cord in a wall. All my LG cables run thru the wall except the power cord.
lsorensen likes this.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32854 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sherman View Post
I will check the video settings for the Apple TV after i get back from the gym.
I'm using standard user picture mode for most viewing.
The first thing you must do is to STOP using the "Standard" picture mode. There are a number of reasons why, but I am rushed for time this morning, so for now just trust me on this.

For SDR and HDR10 content, use the "technicolor Expert" picture mode, and for Dolby Vision use the "Cinema" picture mode ( NOT Cinema (Home)). You will want to use the "Apply to All Inputs" option after setting these picture modes as I'm assuming that you are using different HDMI inputs on the TV for source selection.

Also you may want to try my settings below - the link to the post is in my signature. These settings use the above mentioned picture modes.

I'm going to assume that the AppleTV is the newer 4K model. In the ATV's Settings/Video and Audio menus, set the Home screen to 4K SDR, and turn ON both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching.

Let us know if things look better and then we can go from there.
bigzee3 likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #32855 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I don’t think it’s legal (insurance wise) to run a extension cord in a wall. All my LG cables run thru the wall except the power cord.
You have a point. I believe that there are no extension cords certified for in-wall use.

I guess that you're supposed to hire an electrician to install an outlet where needed, using in-wall certified cabling.

I wonder what applies to on-wall cable hiders?
post #32856 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 387
^

The right way is to install a AC Receptacle behind the TV.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #32857 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6584 Post(s)
Liked: 6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Your house burn down, they pin the fire to that cable you could be in a world of hurt. If your installer did it, he would have a real bad day.........
post #32858 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The first thing you must do is to STOP using the "Standard" picture mode. There are a number of reasons why, but I am rushed for time this morning, so for now just trust me on this.

For SDR and HDR10 content, use the "technicolor Expert" picture mode, and for Dolby Vision use the "Cinema" picture mode ( NOT Cinema (Home)). You will want to use the "Apply to All Inputs" option after setting these picture modes as I'm assuming that you are using different HDMI inputs on the TV for source selection.

Also you may want to try my settings below - the link to the post is in my signature. These settings use the above mentioned picture modes.

I'm going to assume that the AppleTV is the newer 4K model. In the ATV's Settings/Video and Audio menus, set the Home screen to 4K SDR, and turn ON both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching.

Let us know if things look better and then we can go from there.
Thanks for your help and the links!
I will do this tonight and let you know what the changes are.
post #32859 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I’m getting bright halo lights on my C7 screen. I will post some pictures.
I don’t notice this on cable, only on Apple TV prior to selecting the show.
I’ve called LG several times to document the issue. It’s still under warranty.
They’ve promised to me call back twice to troubleshoot, but no calls. Today they were supposed to send someone over from a local LG service center but they didn’t show up. If I had known LG customer service was this bad, I probably would’ve bought a Sony instead

I don't see anything wrong with these shots. If you're referring to the blobs of light/color, that is from the blurred transparency effect that the Apple TV uses in the UI. There is usually an image in the background that gets blurred when you navigate further into the UI.
Ph8te likes this.
post #32860 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevleviathan View Post
I don't see anything wrong with these shots. If you're referring to the blobs of light/color, that is from the blurred transparency effect that the Apple TV uses in the UI. There is usually an image in the background that gets blurred when you navigate further into the UI.
I just noticed a small indentaion or dent on the backside of the tv in the same area as those lights. Is it possible this is causing the blobs of color as opposed to the UI?
The left side of the screen doesn't show the blobs of color or lights. That's why i thought it might be from that dent.
post #32861 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
This has probably been addressed before. When watching netflix i noticed that the picture dims. I noticed this because when i pop up the settings menu and close it the picture gets brighter. Afte a few minutes the picture dims back again without me messing with any of the settings.

Energy save/ eco mode is obviously off. I have no idea what this is, is it a netflix setting or a tv setting? One thing i want to note is that i turned down the subtitles brightness in netflix settings because the subtitles were extremely bright. I dont know if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated since this is really driving me nuts.
post #32862 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm having a super frustrating time dealing with LG Customer Support.

About a month ago, I noticed a dark line on the right-hand side of my C7 panel. It's visible on all inputs and all media, so I knew it wasn't a faulty HDMI cable or anything. Anyhow, I contacted LG and they sent a technician to my house to examine the TV, run some diagnostics, and take some photos to document the issue. He told me that LG would need to order a replacement panel, and that I'd hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. A few days later, another technician called me and told me that the panel was on a 5-7 week back order, and they would not be able to fix my television. Instead, I was told that LG would call me in 24-48 hours to discuss alternative options. I waited a week, didn't hear from them, and decided to call them to follow up. I quickly learned that a Refund Authorization had been sent to the dealer (Best Buy) on my behalf, and that all I needed to do was head into the store and I could get a refund on the purchase price of the television. However, I did not want a refund, I want a working OLED55C7P, and when I informed Best Buy of this, I was told that they no longer carry them, nor do they have any in stock. They told me that they could give me a C8 instead, but I would have to pay the difference.

This leaves me in a pretty ****ty situation as a consumer, because Best Buy doesn't even have another 55" OLED UHD TV, LG or otherwise, available for the sale price of my C7. LG's "warranty" is effectively just buying me something worse, and likely from another manufacturer. I really loved my C7 right up until the moment it started malfunctioning, too.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with LG? This C7 was my first LG television, and will definitely be my last if this doesn't get resolved in a satisfactory manner.
post #32863 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mitchell View Post

About a month ago, I noticed a dark line on the right-hand side of my C7 panel. It's visible on all inputs and all media, so I knew it wasn't a faulty HDMI cable or anything. Anyhow, I contacted LG and they sent a technician to my house to examine the TV, run some diagnostics, and take some photos to document the issue. He told me that LG would need to order a replacement panel, and that I'd hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. A few days later, another technician called me and told me that the panel was on a 5-7 week back order, and they would not be able to fix my television. Instead, I was told that LG would call me in 24-48 hours to discuss alternative options. I waited a week, didn't hear from them, and decided to call them to follow up. I quickly learned that a Refund Authorization had been sent to the dealer (Best Buy) on my behalf, and that all I needed to do was head into the store and I could get a refund on the purchase price of the television. However, I did not want a refund, I want a working OLED55C7P, and when I informed Best Buy of this, I was told that they no longer carry them, nor do they have any in stock. They told me that they could give me a C8 instead, but I would have to pay the difference.

This leaves me in a pretty ****ty situation as a consumer, because Best Buy doesn't even have another 55" OLED UHD TV, LG or otherwise, available for the sale price of my C7. LG's "warranty" is effectively just buying me something worse, and likely from another manufacturer. I really loved my C7 right up until the moment it started malfunctioning, too.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with LG? This C7 was my first LG television, and will definitely be my last if this doesn't get resolved in a satisfactory manner.
Keep us updated with what happens. I've had the same issue with LG customer support. Twice i was promised callbacks, but never received them. At least you had a tech come to your house. LG set up an appointment for an authorized LG service center to come to my house yesterday to check the TV. They never showed up.Never called.
post #32864 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I just noticed a small indentaion or dent on the backside of the tv in the same area as those lights. Is it possible this is causing the blobs of color as opposed to the UI?
The left side of the screen doesn't show the blobs of color or lights. That's why i thought it might be from that dent.
The blur is from the Apple TV UI - it's on the right side of the screen because of the Better Caul Saul poster. His face and the sign are really bright, so it's just blurring that image and using it as the background. Unless you're referring to something else?
post #32865 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevleviathan View Post
The blur is from the Apple TV UI - it's on the right side of the screen because of the Better Caul Saul poster. His face and the sign are really bright, so it's just blurring that image and using it as the background. Unless you're referring to something else?

This, it’s been stated by myself and the above poster now more than once. The only blobs shown on the pictures are from the translucent background the ATV4K has. The foreground will always show “something” from the previous screen. This is why it changes colors and shapes. This is not a defect, it’s normal.
post #32866 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 PM

I did as you suggested. I changed the picture mode to technicolor expert. I thought that was only a calibration mode, but the colors look great.
Also changed the settings on Apple TV.
Do I need to enable Dolby in Apple TV as well or Is that only available with the use of a Blu-ray player? Or do shows broadcast in Dolby as well?
sonoftumble likes this.
post #32867 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
This, it’s been stated by myself and the above poster now more than once. The only blobs shown on the pictures are from the translucent background the ATV4K has. The foreground will always show “something” from the previous screen. This is why it changes colors and shapes. This is not a defect, it’s normal.
Yes, i understand now that it's normal and i apologize if i didn't get it the first time.
Because of my leukemia, i experience lots of mental fatigue, so info doesn't sink in as fast as it used to!
Just posting here wears me out.
post #32868 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
I believe the optical out is only for internal sources, apps, OTA, etc... and not to re out anything put in externally via HDMI or analog inputs.
This is NOT true
nathan_h likes this.
post #32869 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 6443 Post(s)
Liked: 6115
Quote:
Yes, i understand now that it's normal and i apologize if i didn't get it the first time.

Because of my leukemia, i experience lots of mental fatigue, so info doesn't sink in as fast as it used to!

Just posting here wears me out.

It’s no worries, just backing up the previous poster that it was normal so that we don’t go down a troubleshooting your TV route as of something is wrong.
post #32870 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies and help!
post #32871 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

I was in this exact situation with my 65 inch C6 and was forced to upgrade to a C7. I wasn’t happy about losing the 3D but wasn’t opposed to the upgrade, as my money was refunded via Best Buy and the RMA you are talking about. I also had to pay extra for the C7.Think about it,the C8 has the new processor and brighter HDR. It is just out of your grasp 🙂 If I had the same opportunity now I would be happy to take it and upgrade again. I understand that it was prob a good price you got, but Black Friday is just around the corner if you can wait. Personally, it doesn’t change my opinion of LG. Either way, via LG or my BB replacement plan, I like knowing my purchase money is protected. I’ve never had an issue with that part of my TV purchases.

Cheers!
r-gordon-7 likes this.
post #32872 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post
This is NOT true

well then tell him how to do it...
post #32873 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
Quote:
I did as you suggested. I changed the picture mode to technicolor expert. I thought that was only a calibration mode, but the colors look great.
Do I need to enable Dolby in Apple TV as well or Is that only available with the use of a Blu-ray player? Or do shows broadcast in Dolby as well?
I don't own one, but the 4k Apple TV supports Dolby Vision. It has recently received a firmware update that allows it to pass Dolby Atmos audio as well.
post #32874 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2472
Quote:
The reason I suggested setting the ATV4K to 4K SDR as opposed to 4K Dolby Vision is due to the fact that several of the 1080P SDR apps have a bug in which they won't turn off HDR or Dolby Vision when you play 1080P SDR content. HBOGO is one example that I am aware of. This bug will create some low level luminance errors that you probably won't notice.

Now, as long as you are aware of this little problem, and most of the time you'll be watching iTunes or Netflix or Vudu or Prime or Hulu; then I would recommend switching to 4K Dolby Vision for your home page with both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching set to ON.

It's actually pretty easy to switch back to 4K SDR on the fly whenever your might want to watch some HBO programming. There are several Netflix original shows that use Dolby Vision, as well as iTunes and Vudu, etc. - so there's tons of content out there.

I personally have my ATV4K set to 4K Dolby Vision full time with Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching set to ON. The Aerial screensavers are all mastered in Dolby Vision, and they look spectacular - especially the ones with nighttime cityscape footage!!

P.S. - Glad to hear you are enjoying the improved colors!!

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #32875 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysvlad View Post
I was in this exact situation with my 65 inch C6 and was forced to upgrade to a C7. I wasn’t happy about losing the 3D but wasn’t opposed to the upgrade, as my money was refunded via Best Buy and the RMA you are talking about. I also had to pay extra for the C7.Think about it,the C8 has the new processor and brighter HDR. It is just out of your grasp 🙂 If I had the same opportunity now I would be happy to take it and upgrade again. I understand that it was prob a good price you got, but Black Friday is just around the corner if you can wait. Personally, it doesn’t change my opinion of LG. Either way, via LG or my BB replacement plan, I like knowing my purchase money is protected. I’ve never had an issue with that part of my TV purchases.

Cheers!
Well, just looking for another bright side here, but with receiving the money to buy [most of] a brand new set through a brand new purchase (rather than with receiving an in-warranty replacement), at least a new purchase should come with a brand new full warranty, which presumably would not have been the case with either a C7 or a C8 given as an in-warranty replacement.
post #32876 of 36287 Old 09-30-2018, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG B7V - Advanced Technicolor HDR

So has the 2017, LG B7V (European version) gotten support for the Advanced Technicolor HDR?
I´m not talking about the Technicolor picture mode.

If no, is there any timeline on when this is suppose to come as an update? I read a long time ago that this was on the way to LG´s 2017 OLED TV´s

Also on a side note, I read online that the firmware 04.70.07 (US)/(04.70.06 (EU) introduced Dolby Atmos over Dolby True HD in lossless format, but is that really correct?
As far as I know the lossless Atmos can only be achieved with eARC and HDMI 2.1.
I read it on the following page:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#1b0f0eac22d6

I guess that page got it wrong or?
post #32877 of 36287 Old 10-01-2018, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Your house burn down, they pin the fire to that cable you could be in a world of hurt. If your installer did it, he would have a real bad day.........
My recollection is that the person with this problem was from the UK. I don't know about the UK but for US and Canadian locations you can buy kits that have appropriate cables that run behind the wall. Powerbridge, Legrand and Sanus make such kits. There are different models that comply with US and Canadian electrical standards. I have the Legrand kit and it was easy to install.
smurraybhm likes this.
post #32878 of 36287 Old 10-01-2018, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
This has probably been addressed before. When watching netflix i noticed that the picture dims. I noticed this because when i pop up the settings menu and close it the picture gets brighter. Afte a few minutes the picture dims back again without me messing with any of the settings.

Energy save/ eco mode is obviously off. I have no idea what this is, is it a netflix setting or a tv setting? One thing i want to note is that i turned down the subtitles brightness in netflix settings because the subtitles were extremely bright. I dont know if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated since this is really driving me nuts.
Anyone can offer feedback for this?
post #32879 of 36287 Old 10-01-2018, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I'd read the details of the warranty first if it was me. I'd hope LG would cover the difference for a C8 however. As far as I know the C8 is actually a bit better, and it is still made by LG. But, if it's going to cost you $500 or more vs $100 or $200 then I'd explore your legal options depending on what the warranty says.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...rice-talk.html
post #32880 of 36287 Old 10-01-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
The reason I suggested setting the ATV4K to 4K SDR as opposed to 4K Dolby Vision is due to the fact that several of the 1080P SDR apps have a bug in which they won't turn off HDR or Dolby Vision when you play 1080P SDR content. HBOGO is one example that I am aware of. This bug will create some low level luminance errors that you probably won't notice.

Now, as long as you are aware of this little problem, and most of the time you'll be watching iTunes or Netflix or Vudu or Prime or Hulu; then I would recommend switching to 4K Dolby Vision for your home page with both Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching set to ON.

It's actually pretty easy to switch back to 4K SDR on the fly whenever your might want to watch some HBO programming. There are several Netflix original shows that use Dolby Vision, as well as iTunes and Vudu, etc. - so there's tons of content out there.

I personally have my ATV4K set to 4K Dolby Vision full time with Frame Rate and Dynamic Range matching set to ON. The Aerial screensavers are all mastered in Dolby Vision, and they look spectacular - especially the ones with nighttime cityscape footage!!

P.S. - Glad to hear you are enjoying the improved colors!!
Thanks again for you help.I did open your calibration link, but i'm somewhat hesitant to change the settings since the picture looks good. Will i see a big improvement, or subtle changes if i calibrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page