2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1097 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980312Likes

post #32881 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sherman View Post
Thanks again for you help.I did open your calibration link, but i'm somewhat hesitant to change the settings since the picture looks good. Will i see a big improvement, or subtle changes if i calibrate?
Just to be clear, copying someone else's settings is not "calibration" and is of dubious value (particularly Grey Scale (RGB) and CMS settings) IMPO.
nathan_h and ataneruo like this.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32882 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm considering getting a 55" B7A but my primary concern isn't burn-in, but rather the ABL. If you regularly watch bright content like sports or animation, will the screen annoyingly alternate from bright to dim? I know there's no way to prevent this other than turning the OLED light down to like 35 or less, but will that make content too dim? I like bright vivid pictures so I'm wondering if OLED is not for me. I just hate the viewing angles of typical VA LED panels so I was really wanting OLED.
post #32883 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Just to be clear, copying someone else's settings is not "calibration" and is of dubious value (particularly Grey Scale (RGB) and CMS settings) IMPO.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32884 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
I'm considering getting a 55" B7A but my primary concern isn't burn-in, but rather the ABL. If you regularly watch bright content like sports or animation, will the screen annoyingly alternate from bright to dim? I know there's no way to prevent this other than turning the OLED light down to like 35 or less, but will that make content too dim? I like bright vivid pictures so I'm wondering if OLED is not for me. I just hate the viewing angles of typical VA LED panels so I was really wanting OLED.
My set is calibrated with Oled Light at 43 for 150nits and is bright enough for day time. And actually i never experienced any ABL problems with this set.

LG OLED 55 B7v | LG SK10Y Soundbar | Samsung 55KS8000 | LG Plasma 50PZ550 | i1D3 OEM | Calman Enthusiast
post #32885 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sherman View Post
Thanks again for you help.I did open your calibration link, but i'm somewhat hesitant to change the settings since the picture looks good. Will i see a big improvement, or subtle changes if i calibrate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
The technicolor Expert is the most accurate out-of-the-box picture mode available for our C7's, B7's. Adjusting the grey scale and color is optional, and the improvements would be subtle. I clearly state this disclaimer in my settings post.
nathan_h and smurraybhm like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #32886 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
My set is calibrated with Oled Light at 43 for 150nits and is bright enough for day time. And actually i never experienced any ABL problems with this set.

I know that ABL only kicks in at 150 nits, but what is the relationship between OLED Light 43 and 150 nits?

I actually have no idea how bright 150 nits is, to be honest
post #32887 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
I know that ABL only kicks in at 150 nits, but what is the relationship between OLED Light 43 and 150 nits?

I actually have no idea how bright 150 nits is, to be honest
I just answered to you because you are worried about 35 to be too dim. So, now, you know you can rise up to 40.
nathan_h likes this.

LG OLED 55 B7v | LG SK10Y Soundbar | Samsung 55KS8000 | LG Plasma 50PZ550 | i1D3 OEM | Calman Enthusiast
post #32888 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
I'd read the details of the warranty first if it was me. I'd hope LG would cover the difference for a C8 however. As far as I know the C8 is actually a bit better, and it is still made by LG. But, if it's going to cost you $500 or more vs $100 or $200 then I'd explore your legal options depending on what the warranty says.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...rice-talk.html

Is getting a return for the full price of the TV not sufficient (although probably on a BB gift card)? I'm actually curious as to what others think. No depreciation taken into consideration is very fair IMO.

*I haven't looked at LG's warranty that in depth BTW.
ataneruo likes this.
post #32889 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6499 Post(s)
Liked: 6480
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
My recollection is that the person with this problem was from the UK. I don't know about the UK but for US and Canadian locations you can buy kits that have appropriate cables that run behind the wall. Powerbridge, Legrand and Sanus make such kits. There are different models that comply with US and Canadian electrical standards. I have the Legrand kit and it was easy to install.
Yes they do, but at that point run the outlet Probably cheaper to especially if you do it yourself......
post #32890 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2449 View Post
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I think your settings are great and they look perfect on my TV.
I'm planning to try this on my 55 B7P, over the coming weekend.
post #32891 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I've had my B7A since November of 2017. Very much enjoy it. However, I have 2 chronic problems that are very annoying:

1. The internet connection seems to drop alot. Whenever I try to stream video via Netflix or Amazon prime, the apps complain about no connection when I launch them. If I go to settings and click on the wireless connection, it seems to wake it up and it connects again. Kind of a pain.

2. Lip synch issues. I have a XX soundbar connected via ARC and the lip synch seems to always be messed up. I try to manually configure or set it to auto, but I can never seem to get it right and it changes depending on the source. This is so annoying, I'm thinking about contacting LG support before my warranty expires.

I've tried searching for these issues, but I must not be doing the search right because I cannot seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

My recently upgraded 20 year old basement theater: 7.1 ch setup with JVC x790r projector; 100" Stewart 16x9 screen, Panasonic 820 UHD player; Marantz AV7704 pre-pro; Marantz MM8077 7 ch Amp; PSA v1811 subwoofer; Atlantic Technology 20 year old speakers
post #32892 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFatherof3 View Post
I've had my B7A since November of 2017. Very much enjoy it. However, I have 2 chronic problems that are very annoying:

1. The internet connection seems to drop alot. Whenever I try to stream video via Netflix or Amazon prime, the apps complain about no connection when I launch them. If I go to settings and click on the wireless connection, it seems to wake it up and it connects again. Kind of a pain.

2. Lip synch issues. I have a XX soundbar connected via ARC and the lip synch seems to always be messed up. I try to manually configure or set it to auto, but I can never seem to get it right and it changes depending on the source. This is so annoying, I'm thinking about contacting LG support before my warranty expires.

I've tried searching for these issues, but I must not be doing the search right because I cannot seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Not going to be able to troubleshoot #1 without more details, but it sounds as if you have a setting issue with your router. LG pushed out a firmware update earlier this year that addressed the wi-fi connectivity issues that some owners were having (personally my C7 has been rock solid via wifi, to the point that I have yet to plug in the cat cable lying behind the display). So I'm assuming you are up-to-date on your firmware and using a cable is out of the question (I fully admit hardwire is always the best solution despite my laziness).

As for the soundbar, lip synch issues with them are all over the place and not limited to just LG displays. Do you need to use ARC for a reason other than sound via the LG? I would suggest using optical if possible, seriously doubt you will notice a change in audio quality. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your sacrificing audio quality in the first place by going the soundbar route so the difference should be something one wouldn't be able to distinguish in a blind test. Again, not hating on the soundbar, just trying to let you know optical isn't a major step down in the audio quality department. This assumes you haven't invested in a Atmos soundbar, but that could be separate discussion about the benefits of Atmos via soundbar.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #32893 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I've had my B7A for about a year now and I absolutely love this TV. Viewing consists mainly of streamed content, locally stored 4K HDR movies, and sports. I've finally got the TV dialed in to where I'm very very happy. Took a lot of experimenting. I've settled on Technicolor Expert with TruMotion custom settings of De-Judder 3 and De-Blur 10. Everything I watch looks fantastic with these settings, except for one disturbing problem...

When I watch football, and the ball is thrown downfield, the ball turns translucent, even going almost completely invisible at times. What is going on here? I watch a lot of football in the fall and am very frustrated, to the point where I'm thinking about selling the TV and turning to Sony. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
post #32894 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmac97 View Post
So I've had my B7A for about a year now and I absolutely love this TV. Viewing consists mainly of streamed content, locally stored 4K HDR movies, and sports. I've finally got the TV dialed in to where I'm very very happy. Took a lot of experimenting. I've settled on Technicolor Expert with TruMotion custom settings of De-Judder 3 and De-Blur 10. Everything I watch looks fantastic with these settings, except for one disturbing problem...

When I watch football, and the ball is thrown downfield, the ball turns translucent, even going almost completely invisible at times. What is going on here? I watch a lot of football in the fall and am very frustrated, to the point where I'm thinking about selling the TV and turning to Sony. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I find the maximum somewhat tolerable level of dejudder is 2, however even that low setting shows artifacts in fast movements, especially fast moving hands etc. The only solution is to turn it off completely. Unfortunately LG's motion interpolation just isn't very good.
ataneruo likes this.
post #32895 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
I find the maximum somewhat tolerable level of dejudder is 2, however even that low setting shows artifacts in fast movements, especially fast moving hands etc. The only solution is to turn it off completely. Unfortunately LG's motion interpolation just isn't very good.
Has the 2018 LG's made any real improvement here? Hard to tell from reviews.
ataneruo likes this.
post #32896 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
There were hopes that it would be improved what with a new and better processor and all, but apparently not really. I owned a Vizio P65 for a couple of weeks before getting a C7 two weeks ago, and although the C7 is without doubt a much better TV, Vizio's motion interpolation is better than LG's. I could set that up to 4 without any artifacts at all (SOE started becoming very apparent around level 3, so I kept it at 2), but on the LG I haven't found any level where there are no artifacts, other than completely off.
ataneruo likes this.
post #32897 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There were hopes that it would be improved what with a new and better processor and all, but apparently not really. I owned a Vizio P65 for a couple of weeks before getting a C7 two weeks ago, and although the C7 is without doubt a much better TV, Vizio's motion interpolation is better than LG's. I could set that up to 4 without any artifacts at all (SOE started becoming very apparent around level 3, so I kept it at 2), but on the LG I haven't found any level where there are no artifacts, other than completely off.
This is the one area for me that I've struggled with 100% since buying the TV. Should have returned for a Sony, but I didn't want to deal with the horrible interface and lack of Dolby Vision support.
post #32898 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Not going to be able to troubleshoot #1 without more details, but it sounds as if you have a setting issue with your router. LG pushed out a firmware update earlier this year that addressed the wi-fi connectivity issues that some owners were having (personally my C7 has been rock solid via wifi, to the point that I have yet to plug in the cat cable lying behind the display). So I'm assuming you are up-to-date on your firmware and using a cable is out of the question (I fully admit hardwire is always the best solution despite my laziness).

As for the soundbar, lip synch issues with them are all over the place and not limited to just LG displays. Do you need to use ARC for a reason other than sound via the LG? I would suggest using optical if possible, seriously doubt you will notice a change in audio quality. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your sacrificing audio quality in the first place by going the soundbar route so the difference should be something one wouldn't be able to distinguish in a blind test. Again, not hating on the soundbar, just trying to let you know optical isn't a major step down in the audio quality department. This assumes you haven't invested in a Atmos soundbar, but that could be separate discussion about the benefits of Atmos via soundbar.
I'm only using ARC to conserve an HDMI port on the TV. I connect everything to the TV (blue-ray player, Direct TV and 2 gaming consoles), which consumes all 4 input ports. With ARC, I didn't have to run a digital audio connection, but if running one will solve my synch issues, I will certainly consider it (although with the TV hung and the soundbar installed, getting to the connectors is a real pain). I'm sure my Bose soundbar has an audio digital input, but does the TV provide an audio digital out? I don't use an AVR with this setup.

I don't have issues with any of my other devices not staying connected to the router, so I'm skeptical there is a router setup issue, but I'll take a look.

thanks for responding!
post #32899 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoFatherof3 View Post
I'm only using ARC to conserve an HDMI port on the TV. I connect everything to the TV (blue-ray player, Direct TV and 2 gaming consoles), which consumes all 4 input ports. With ARC, I didn't have to run a digital audio connection, but if running one will solve my synch issues, I will certainly consider it (although with the TV hung and the soundbar installed, getting to the connectors is a real pain). I'm sure my Bose soundbar has an audio digital input, but does the TV provide an audio digital out? I don't use an AVR with this setup.

I don't have issues with any of my other devices not staying connected to the router, so I'm skeptical there is a router setup issue, but I'll take a look.

thanks for responding!

The optical digital out is on the back right side of the TV, next to the LAN, Antenna/Cable In. It should be active on all the sources you are running into your display via HDMI. There have been a number of owners with wi-fi issues who then discovered it was a router issue, I would want to eliminate that before opening a ticket with LG.
nathan_h and Skytrooper like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #32900 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Yes they do, but at that point run the outlet Probably cheaper to especially if you do it yourself......

I live in a condo so I need permission from the Board to alter or add any electrical outlets. Also in some jurisdictions you are technically required to either have an outlet installed by a licensed electrician or to have the work inspected by a local authority. For about $100 Canadian the Legrand product was a good solution for me. It was very easy to install and didn't require any tools other than a screwdriver.
post #32901 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Hi, got an issue with the built in Netflix. For some reason, all of a sudden, 13 Reasons Why will not play in DV. Previous days I'm sure it did, now it does not. Weirdly, all other DV titles seem to engage DV on the TV just fine. Anyone seen anything like that?

Last edited by iSeries; 10-01-2018 at 04:42 PM.
post #32902 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Random Shut-Offs

I have been having issues with my C7 turning off randomly as of the last few weeks. I thought it was linked to the PS4, but happened tonight after less than 30 minutes of normal TV viewing through Dish.

Anyone else having issues with TV turning off on its own?
post #32903 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 387
^
Nope

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #32904 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
I have been having issues with my C7 turning off randomly as of the last few weeks. I thought it was linked to the PS4, but happened tonight after less than 30 minutes of normal TV viewing through Dish.

Anyone else having issues with TV turning off on its own?
Another HDMI-CEC device is going into standby and sending the shutoff system command?
nathan_h and wildgator25 like this.

Josh
post #32905 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Another HDMI-CEC device is going into standby and sending the shutoff system command?

That’s what my Apple TV was doing until I disabled CEC from it
nathan_h and wildgator25 like this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #32906 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
It's interpolation. Why would you want to see things that are not there actually? Just turn off all processing and watch the real image. Doesnt bother me and I watch a lot of college football. Go (Clemson) Tigers!
ataneruo likes this.
post #32907 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
I live in a condo so I need permission from the Board to alter or add any electrical outlets. Also in some jurisdictions you are technically required to either have an outlet installed by a licensed electrician or to have the work inspected by a local authority. For about $100 Canadian the Legrand product was a good solution for me. It was very easy to install and didn't require any tools other than a screwdriver.
Could you provide a link to that? I'm familiar with Legrand/Wiremold, but you appear to be speaking of something other than cable hiders.

Thanks.
post #32908 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
That’s what my Apple TV was doing until I disabled CEC from it
Going to turn off TV control on the ATV4K. Hopefully that will work!

Thanks fellows!
lax01 likes this.
post #32909 of 36131 Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Let me start by saying i have two oled tvs. A 55c7 and a 65b7a. My problem is with the same settings for technicolor expert the 55c7 looks good with directv content. My 65b7a looks like crap with the same settings. My guess the bigger tv will show more flaws. The only way i have found to fix it is by turning sharpening to 25 and turning on super resolution to high. That gives me a much more clear picture. Anybody else doing something like that? Any suggestions to what might clean it up even more.?
post #32910 of 36131 Old 10-02-2018, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Could you provide a link to that? I'm familiar with Legrand/Wiremold, but you appear to be speaking of something other than cable hiders.

Thanks.

Sure. Here is a link to the Legrand/Wiremold cable management product which includes the Power Cable Kit. https://www.legrand.us/diy-projects/diy-tv-inwall.aspx. I believe that Sanus and others offer similar products at Best Buy. I liked this product because you literally do not require any other tools. It even comes with a drywall saw. I know some have had trouble with the drywall saw stripping but I was able to make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page