2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980510Likes

post #33001 of 36683 Old 10-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I’m not sure what’s going on with LG customer service.
I’ve never dealt with such an incompetent company.
My next TV won’t be an LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33002 of 36683 Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sherman View Post
Sorry you are having these issues. When I needed a tech to look at my OLED, LG gave me a list of authorized places, I believe with a case number. They then let me setup the tech to come onsite, I just gave the local company the ticket number and they worked with LG to verify. It was smooth in my case?
post #33003 of 36683 Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Hey dumb question how do you reboot this TV? I haven't figured it out. Outside of unplugging it from the outlet for a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33004 of 36683 Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
Hi

My Sister has a 55 inch B7 LG OLED and I can not seem to find the correct settings for watching a hockey game the motion is NOT smooth.

I am use to watching sports my two Pioneer Elite Plasma .. have a 50 and a 60 and the picture on both my TV's is superior in motion to the LG OLED... does that make sense since my two TV's are about 13 years old but still look as good as the day they came out of the box.

I find it hard to imagine that 13 years later that display technology is not as good.

Please let me know what the best motion settings should be so I can help her.

Thanks..
Can't really help outside of messing with the Trumotion settings to see what looks best. There's no magic trick though especially compared to plasma, unfortunately due to technology limitations I don't think LCDs or OLEDs will ever come close to plasma level natural smooth motion.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #33005 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked: 6835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemidd View Post
MantelMount woes here... trying to mount my C7 over a fireplace. Issue is that the mounting holes are on the bottom of the TV, and the way a lever mount works is that it needs to be mounted high. Due to my slanted ceilings, I cannot afford the extra foot of space below the TV. In addition, the mount sticks out from the bottom on these sets and it is well-documented.

So, I was thinking... why not just flip the screen orientation 180 degrees and mount it upside down? I know older LG TVs and monitors supported this feature, but has it been taken out of these sets? I cannot find any info online regarding this.
I know what your talking about, projectors have this feature......I do not know of any TV's that do.
post #33006 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
That setting is pretty high for SDR content, but it really depends on how bright the room is, and perhaps the screen is facing some windows?

If not, maybe there's a problem. It's difficult to tell without seeing something up close and personal. These things can be so subjective, and my meter might not agree with your eyes. Lol.

Also, some HDR picture modes ( such as the HDR version of technicolor Expert ) have the OLED LIGHT set to 100 by default. I found that to be a bit too bright for my taste, so I lowered it to around 80.

Perhaps a second opinion or two is in order? Anyone you know who could drop by and take a look?
Yep! I'll ask around.
post #33007 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sherman View Post
I had an incredible experience with LG customer service. My 55B7A had a stuck pixel right in the middle of the display. TV was about 8 months old. I didn't even have the receipt which I was worried they would require for service. Random night I started a chat on the LG website. Explained what was wrong and that I didn't have a receipt but the TV was not even a year old. They set an appointment for the tech to come out the next day. Tech called me the next morning saying for a stuck pixel they needed to replace the panel but it was on back order and would call when it came in. A little over a week later they called and came to replace the screen. Best experience I've ever had with customer service. I would try to speak to someone higher up on the customer service chain.
noobtv likes this.
post #33008 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked: 3176
Not making excuses for LG, but customer service with any large av manufacturer is a crap shoot unfortunately. The best thing to do is keep calling or messaging until you get a CSR that will take care of you. You can also ask for a supervisor. Get on any of the owner threads, when a problem arises, the experience is usually a mixed bag. Either great like above or poor like Robert's. Ex a few of the smaller av companies that are ID direct, the industry fails on customer service, its not just a display issue.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #33009 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabolino View Post
Hey dumb question how do you reboot this TV? I haven't figured it out. Outside of unplugging it from the outlet for a few minutes.
I think holding the power button on the remote for 10 seconds does a full reboot, or was that for Sony
Sorry not at home, can't test.
post #33010 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
I think holding the power button on the remote for 10 seconds does a full reboot, or was that for Sony
Sorry not at home, can't test.
Tried it doesn't seem to work
post #33011 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
It's not the display technology, it's the source. The LG OLED's are true 120Hz panels which is more than quick enough to give you a nice smooth, fast, motion image. Unfortunately, most broadcast/cable/satellite signals are outputting anywhere from 30Hz to 60Hz - and then to make matters worse - you may be watching in 1080i, which essentially "shifts" 1/2 the picture data twice a second - which is visible to the human eye.

So here we are with these fantastic, uber pricey TV's that are being fed craptastic signals ( kind of like feeding a race horse hay - instead of oats ) and then we try to "process" the signal to make it look better while at the same time doing 8x or higher upscaling. The math involved just to get that 720P/1080i image to fill a 4K panel is crazy enough, but then we want to add motion interpolation on top of that - which will cause "submarining" side effects. It's a mess.

Blame the cable company. They compress the hell out the signal in order to cram 300+ channels down a single pipe. Horizontal motion is most impacted by the compression being used. This is why hockey looks terrible. Satellite is better, but it's still the top turd in the pile. Personally, I leave all motion settings off - that way I have fewer motion artifacts.

Finally, I have DirecTV 4K which right now is only 3 channels, but I had the pleasure of watching the Winter Olympics in stunning/glorious 4K/HLG HDR, and hockey looked fantastic without adding any processing. It's amazing what our TV's can do when they don't have to upscale.
Thanks again to everyone that has offered direction on this issue.

Yesterday I went to a local VIZONS store and discussed this with them, the person I spoke to felt they should not be having a big issue with motion with the LG B7 although did say that it probably would not be as smooth as a Pioneer Elite Plasma.

This store just opened but he said they will be having cable or satellite feed in their store in a couple of weeks and at that time they will be able to feed all their displays with this resolution so customers can see what they can expect when the hook up any of the 4K sets at home. He said all their store do this as it prevents a lot of returns which cost them a lot of money.

They have the latest OLED models from LG and Sony as well as Panasonic OLED... I was surprised to see Panasonic OLED as I thought it was not available in Canada.

I know LG makes all the OLED panels and the difference is each manufactures processor.

Looking forward to seeing how these panels handle fast moving sport once they are on cable or sat.... in the meantime I will try different settings on my Sisters B7 to see if I can get it to perform better.

He also suggested to call LG and get them to look at the set to see if perhaps it is defective... just such a difference between their previous set which was a 43 inch Pioneer Elite Plasma (was originally mine but ended up in their house!) Same cable box ARRIS DCX-3510-M and same AV Receiver Pioneer VSX-1128 that was used with their plasma... the only thing I had them do was buy new HDMI cables that are HDMI 2.0 .

I thought of going direct from the cable box to the TV and bypassing the AV Receiver to see if that made a difference... if it did I could then just running the audio through the receiver.

If I get better results from trying different settings or going direct to the TV I will report the results.

Almost starting to think if the majority of their viewing is 720P or 1080i over cable they would have been better off buying a panel that is 1080P and perhaps it would not have the motion issues as the input signal more closely reflects the display panels native resolution?

Is that crazy thinking or does it actually have technical merit?

Thanks for all the comments
post #33012 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemidd View Post
MantelMount woes here... trying to mount my C7 over a fireplace. Issue is that the mounting holes are on the bottom of the TV, and the way a lever mount works is that it needs to be mounted high. Due to my slanted ceilings, I cannot afford the extra foot of space below the TV. In addition, the mount sticks out from the bottom on these sets and it is well-documented.

So, I was thinking... why not just flip the screen orientation 180 degrees and mount it upside down? I know older LG TVs and monitors supported this feature, but has it been taken out of these sets? I cannot find any info online regarding this.

Well if you flip it, the atmos speakers won't work.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #33013 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Just tested it, indeed not working. I guess it was for my old Sony.
Couldn't find a way to do it on our current LGs. Older models allowed to do it in a Power menu, but we don't have this on our sets (or I couldn't find it).
post #33014 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/reset-tv Ooops thats UK but it should be the same.
post #33015 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well if you flip it, the atmos speakers won't work.

He is just ahead of the curve, I’m sure up-firing floor speakers will be part of a new 5.2.4.4 Atmos+ standard.
lsorensen likes this.
post #33016 of 36683 Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottnpup View Post
https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/reset-tv Ooops thats UK but it should be the same.
That's for factory reset I was talking about just restarting the TV. Like back to webos splash screen restart. There doesn't seem to be a manual way to do it outside of unplugging from the outlet for a few minutes.
post #33017 of 36683 Old 10-10-2018, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 6
What does setting "HDR Module" to "On" instead of "Normal" in the Service Menu do? I know it doesn't disable ABL, but does it allow HDR-level brightness on SDR content...? How does this affect ABL?
post #33018 of 36683 Old 10-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
My OLED65E7 of 6 months stopped working, prior it had intermittent shutdowns and reboots, and now black screen of death.

LG is taking their time to find a technician and there’s like half dozen authorized centres in my area. In the meantime, I was wondering if it’s possible to try anything (already unplugged, press joystick for 10s, smacked the back where the power cable enters the unit,...)

LG customer service seems to be really bad but then again maybe every other electronics manufacturer...
I posted about similar issues a few pages back (it's more detailed of an experience than I'll write here). LG doesn't seem the best at getting the ball rolling in regards to repairs. Unorganized is what I'd describe it as. I only had two service centers that would service me - one declined because of the distance. the other accepted the repair even though they were over 150 miles away.

The main system board has to be replaced for my TV and the item has been on backorder for 2 weeks and estimated in stock date of November 11th. After 10 business days of a part being on back order, LG will escalate a ticket to a team that gets to decide if you get a replacement or a refund. That's where I am. Told me I'd hear with a resolution in 8-10 business days. I've requested a replacement.

I'd call LG back and escalate - that's what I had to do when the repair center they assigned me to never showed up for their appointment. Called back and had them assign to another company - they even gave me their phone number, which I then used to immediately call them with after getting off the phone with LG. You gotta take things into your own hands it seems!
rondongon likes this.
post #33019 of 36683 Old 10-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert.J.Farnsworth View Post
Hey guys, so I just talked to LG customer support about av sync issues in ARC. I have an 55b7a with ATV4k and just purchased a SK10y Soundbar. Pretty disappointed to see that even their own Soundbar doesn’t properly work with their tv. Anyway, the technician on the phone was telling me to just use PCM stereo to fix the problem... after debating with him that I did not purchase a whole surround system to play stereo he told me that an AV sync fix is coming in the next update, which I have a hard time believing, any word on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

I too, like many others, have the AV Sync issue with my ATV4K, sound bar and 65B7A (I also own a 55B7A with the same problem). Only Stereo outputs proper audio sync.

Before my two current OLED models, I owned an OLED 55EF9500 (2016 model) and this one ALSO had the exact same issue. So, they didn't update it for that TV....and if I were a betting man, they aren't going to update it for mine or current models either.

It's very frustrating because this has been a known issue for YEARS!
Rodney Nicotine likes this.
post #33020 of 36683 Old 10-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentn View Post
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

I too, like many others, have the AV Sync issue with my ATV4K, sound bar and 65B7A (I also own a 55B7A with the same problem). Only Stereo outputs proper audio sync.

Before my two current OLED models, I owned an OLED 55EF9500 (2016 model) and this one ALSO had the exact same issue. So, they didn't update it for that TV....and if I were a betting man, they aren't going to update it for mine or current models either.

It's very frustrating because this has been a known issue for YEARS!

Maybe they can at least update their sound bars to work with their TVs then, I’m sure it’s more complicated than it sounds but It feels like if they just time the delay they can make up for it or add an option to fix it. Vizio or tcl are very good at fixing known issues and their devices are 1/3 of the price, come on LG!
post #33021 of 36683 Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
@sbrentn thank you for the reply. Indeed I had to call LG 3 times, then they said there’s a technicien coming tomorrow. I am like wow! But as you said disorganized they are because the authorized service center store (more like a guy in his house) called for some details and said he’ll order parts (uhmm motherboard and panel), then I called today and he told me parts were not ordered, but hopefully he gets tomorrow for a visit on Friday.

Now seeing your post and I doubt Canada and US have different LG parts distributors, maybe my fate will be like yours! BTW, so when the technicien/SC says part isn’t available, then I should call LG to activate that process?
post #33022 of 36683 Old 10-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
@sbrentn thank you for the reply. Indeed I had to call LG 3 times, then they said there’s a technicien coming tomorrow. I am like wow! But as you said disorganized they are because the authorized service center store (more like a guy in his house) called for some details and said he’ll order parts (uhmm motherboard and panel), then I called today and he told me parts were not ordered, but hopefully he gets tomorrow for a visit on Friday.

Now seeing your post and I doubt Canada and US have different LG parts distributors, maybe my fate will be like yours! BTW, so when the technicien/SC says part isn’t available, then I should call LG to activate that process?
The authorized repair shop said the part has to be on backorder for 10 business days (I started this whole process on September 25th) - then a ticket is sent back to LG basically stating they can't do the repair because of unavailable parts (in my case the board, not the panel). As soon as I was told that, I called LG, they put me on hold while they verified with the repair center that it was backordered, and within minutes the LG rep had summited the request to replace or refund my television.

I'd recommend calling LG as soon as you hear the word "backorder" (as long as it puts you over the 10 business days from the time the repair center submitted the part order) And make sure to find out when the backorder date ends (to tell the LG rep). They'll just call the repair place to confirm and get the ball rolling for you!
rondongon likes this.
post #33023 of 36683 Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Can't really help outside of messing with the Trumotion settings to see what looks best. There's no magic trick though especially compared to plasma, unfortunately due to technology limitations I don't think LCDs or OLEDs will ever come close to plasma level natural smooth motion.
Not currently... As I understand it, the problem is because OLED pixels turn on or off too quickly, there is no natural smoothing like with the phosphor of a plasma screen "slowly" dimming.

I could imagine they could put a little capacitor across every LED and give it sort of a smoother effect if it somehow became financially viable to do so.

Who knows what they'll come up with in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
Thanks again to everyone that has offered direction on this issue.

Yesterday I went to a local VIZONS store and discussed this with them, the person I spoke to felt they should not be having a big issue with motion with the LG B7 although did say that it probably would not be as smooth as a Pioneer Elite Plasma.

This store just opened but he said they will be having cable or satellite feed in their store in a couple of weeks and at that time they will be able to feed all their displays with this resolution so customers can see what they can expect when the hook up any of the 4K sets at home. He said all their store do this as it prevents a lot of returns which cost them a lot of money.
Good to see a store actually taking an interest in showing the customers what they'll actually get when they get it home.

Quote:
Almost starting to think if the majority of their viewing is 720P or 1080i over cable they would have been better off buying a panel that is 1080P and perhaps it would not have the motion issues as the input signal more closely reflects the display panels native resolution?

Is that crazy thinking or does it actually have technical merit?

Thanks for all the comments
Almost all TVs of reasonable size are 4k now, so it'd be hard to do that unless you want to get them a smaller TV. I do think that idea has merit however.
ataneruo likes this.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
post #33024 of 36683 Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Not sure why, but reducing Contrast to 80 seems to have stopped ABL from activating when a full white screen is on, even with OLED Light up to max (100). Very pleased with this; ABL was driving me crazy- brief white screens (explosions, commercials, etc) were dimming even with OLED Light at 50.

Don't really know what Contrast setting does with a full white screen since there are no blacks to contrast...
bhazard likes this.
post #33025 of 36683 Old 10-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentn View Post
So, I've been having an issue for almost the past year with my B7A.

Issue: When watching various content, screen will flicker black then show white video noise, black again, and then the tv displays the message "No device connected". turning the device on and off resolves it. or unplugging the HDMI cable and replugging to the TV. I could go a week without it happening or it could happen 5 times a day for 3 days in a row. Happens on multiple inputs, sources, SDR and HDR. To my knowledge does not happen using built in apps, but I never use those.

Thought it was my cables. switched out multiple times (even paying installer each time to fish them and install in the wall) and thought I'd finally find a set of "Premium HMDI" branded cables that worked. Been using those for 3 months, no issues at all...then all of a sudden, two weeks ago, the issue reared it's ugly head again and it was happening more frequently than before. Switched cables between inputs didn't fix it, swapping the cables between the sources didn't fix it. I can make it happen if I wiggle one of the cables while inserted in HDMI 2 (but the issue randomly happens on all inputs, all sources).

SO, I called LG, they set me up with a tech who never showed. Called and found out that they scheduled an appointment and that repair shop was over 100 miles away and rejected the appointment. Not off to a good start. However, there was one other shop that would come out, about 150 miles away or so. They diagnosed the issue as being a main board issue and ordered the part.

Found out yesterday that the main board is on back order and has been for some time. Monday they are submitting a claim to LG saying it's an item they can't repair due to unavailable parts. Guess we'll see what happens from there.

Anyone else have any experience with parts being on backorder? Replacement? What happened in your case?
I don't have any experience with service, but I am experiencing the same problem. I was told it was probably a cable problem, which didn't make sense since my old TV used the same cable and never had a problem with it, but I tried a ton of different cables anyway but the problem continued. I haven't done anything since it's so intermittent and I'm afraid LG won't be able to duplicate the problem. I don't seem to have the issue when jiggling the HDMI cable, just at random times and disconnecting the HDMI cable and reconnecting it fixes the issue for a while. How did they end up diagnosing that it was a motherboard problem?

Rich
post #33026 of 36683 Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

C7 Owner since Sep 2017. I've had to have one replacement panel due to tinting but noticed with that panel banding got worse over time. With my replacement panel, tinting and banding seemed minimal so I was happy to accept the replacement.

5 months later the banding seems more prevalent, has anyone has experience with more noticeable banding over time?

Will post photos when I can.
post #33027 of 36683 Old 10-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones

I am considering purchasing these headphones. Does anyone know if they will pair with my C7? I assume I will have a delay unless I set the TV to stereo.
post #33028 of 36683 Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6430
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
I am considering purchasing these headphones. Does anyone know if they will pair with my C7? I assume I will have a delay unless I set the TV to stereo.

I don’t see a link/picture, but as long as the are Bluetooth they should pair just fine. Do delay here with standard settings.
post #33029 of 36683 Old 10-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I don’t see a link/picture, but as long as the are Bluetooth they should pair just fine. Do delay here with standard settings.
I have a pair of cheap iSound BT2500s and while they show up on the device list they won't pair. That is the reason I am asking the question. Thanks for your input.
post #33030 of 36683 Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6430
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
I have a pair of cheap iSound BT2500s and while they show up on the device list they won't pair. That is the reason I am asking the question. Thanks for your input.

I’m guessing you set the BT headphone to “pair”? Seems like those have a sometimes will pair sometimes will not from reviews on Amazon. I personally use Monoprice over the ear headphones and havent had any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page