2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980231Likes

post #33661 of 35899 Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I see A Line down the middle of my screen

I saw a line down the middle of my screen while watching the martian 4k movie through the tv's vudu app. It has two different tints on each side. I've never noticed this before on any media. Now I'm concerned. What do you guys think? I bought it in the spring of this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33662 of 35899 Old 11-22-2018, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I have now tried your Option 2 settings and I have a question about them. When I do SDR option 2 settings and then run XBOX calibration from within the Xbox settings menu the contrast and brightness look great. The color on the other hand with the Blue filter seems off. For it to sync all blue like it's supposed to I have to run the color back up to 65. I'm saying 65 because with the blue filter it syncs dead on 65. My question is should I stick with the 40 or trust the Xbox Calibration and go with 65? Xbox going for different color standards? Just brainstorming. Thanks for everything.
Unfortunately SDR Game is locked to Wide Color gamut, so by default it won't be as accurate as calibrated SDR ISF/Technicolor with the possibility to put it to Auto.
Having the gamut forced on Wide will result in noticeably oversaturated colors, and in order to get close to calibrated SDR Technicolor I had to turn Color down to 40 with Temperature to W49
Once there, you can even try to switch back and forth SDR Game and SDR Technicolor and the picture will be 99% the same (with minor differences due to the absence of White Balance / CMS for SDR Game).
post #33663 of 35899 Old 11-22-2018, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I don't know if you got this working, but I found from feedback that you need to format FAT32 as a "Master Boot Record". Most have reported that powering off the TV, and then inserting the stick, and powering up will get you the install prompt.
And i can finally confirm that this did the trick.
Took some figuring out, since formatting to an MBR disk isn't "standard" in Windows.
Managed to get it done using "diskpart", popped it in and straight away the prompt came up when playing DV content.

Applied your settings, and my first impressions are really good.
The over the top "screaming" saturation of some colors is gone. They still have "pop", just less saturated.
Reducing the saturation brings out a lot more detail in the pciture.

And on the lower end i see more details in the darker area's as well.

But this was only seen with some DV sample material made to sell and pop out of the sets.
Haven't verified this with an actual DV source yet since i don't have anything anymore

Overall first impressions are really nice.
Thank you for the support.
sonoftumble likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33664 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOut View Post
Now that my 65C7 looks perfect, the next thing to optimize is video and audio sync. My sources are 1) Oppo UDP-203 for BluRay and 4K, 2) LG 65C7P Netflix/Amazon Prime via ARC, 3) Cisco 8640 Spectrum cable box all going to a Marantz AV8802a via HDMI (providing 5.2 audio) and video on to the LG 65C7. I have been trying to optimize both Marantz "Audio Delay" (depending on source I'm using between 0ms and 20ms) and the C7's AV Sync Adjustment and I feel I get close but nonetheless think I'm a few milliseconds off both when playing via the Oppo and when I play back Netflix or Amazon Prime videos from the LG via ARC.
Does anyone know of good approach to get the synchronization spot on?
If there's a better forum to learn about this, I would appreciate a pointer.
Thanks in advance...
The problem with ARC as implemented with any TV using HDMI 2.0 - is that by its very design - it will "slow down" the audio to the point that it is arriving after the matching video frame has arrived. That's the exact opposite behavior that most audio sync algorithms are designed to combat. With non-ARC connections, the video signal is running behind the audio. Because of this, you may never get it just right. I finally gave up and got myself a simple 4x2 matrix switch that routes to the TV and the AVR at the same time via HDMI. They have no choice by to be perfectly synced.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #33665 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGoR View Post

EDIT: Found sonoftumble's post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post55037420

EDIT2: Struggling a bit to get super smooth motion / blur / judder settings. I recall having to really dial this in on my old Samsung LED. Any good settings anyone has found?
Our panels are 120Hz so they are cycling twice as fast as the incoming 60Hz signal as it is. The camera's are also most likely 60Hz. So, what you are fighting is the source content. The LG's Motion settings allow for both de-judder and de-blur adjustments so you can "dial it in" to your taste. The trick is to get it to the point where you can smooth it out, and at the same time avoid the dreaded "Soap Opera Effect" (SOE). This is not easy to do, and when I'm done watching a sporting event and want to watch a movie, things look "unnatural" so I end up turning motion OFF.

I finally left it OFF permanently as I really didn't see any appreciable improvement, and in some instances I was seeing a "submarine-ing" effect where moving objects disappeared momentarily. Motion adjustments are somewhat akin to putting lipstick on a pig. If the 2017 LG OLED's supported black frame insertion, then you would have exactly what you are looking for without any SOE. I believe that the 2018 C's or higher models have that feature.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #33666 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
I saw a line down the middle of my screen while watching the martian 4k movie through the tv's vudu app. It has two different tints on each side. I've never noticed this before on any media. Now I'm concerned. What do you guys think? I bought it in the spring of this year.
I saw this for the first time a few weeks ago, and now I can't unsee it. It isn't super noticable all the time depending on what I'm watching, but it really shows up when there is a uniform color background. I'm past my factory warranty, although I did buy an extended Squaretrade warranty from Costco. I'm waiting to see if it gets worse before I decide what to do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #33667 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
These TV's are so close to perfect out of the box, that you might not notice much improvement to an SDR or HDR10 picture even after a pro calibration, EXCEPT for Dolby Vision. DV requires some serious adjustments to the 20 point in order to get it under control. You need calibration equipment to pull that off.

If your particular TV's panel has performance characteristics similar to mine, then my settings should improve your picture quality. Otherwise if your panel's variances are wider, it probably won't improve your picture or possibly make it worse.

Now that I have the standard disclaimer out of the way, here's something new to try.

The techs in our lab came across this VERY INTERESTING tidbit the other day . . .

For SDR and HDR10 signals, use the respective technicolor Expert picture modes, but change the color temp to Warm 1 instead of the Warm 2 default.

Why? When the color temp is set to Warm 2, the TV exhibits green bias out of the box. This is a bad thing for picture quality and color accuracy if green is dominant. Setting the color temp to Warm 1 corrects the green bias. If you had calibration equipment, you could correct the green bias and still use the Warm 2 color temp. But most of us don't, so it's simply better to go with Warm 1. Correcting green bias cannot be done with the naked eye and there are too many action/reaction behaviors with these types of adjustments.

All the other settings including white balance and CMS should stay zeroed out at default. Adjust the OLED LIGHT to your personal taste.

Feedback is always welcome.
Hello Sonoftumble! First of all I would like thank you for all the help you have given us setting up our Oleds!

I have used the Technicolor Expert picture mode with warm 2 color temp for 4 months now.

In my eyes the picture seems a bit too reddish or warm but I'm no expert so maybe it's close to 6500K. It's like an orange veil covers the image with warm 2 color temp.
I tried the warm 1 color temp with all others settings factory default Technicolor Expert but the picture goes too blue to my eyes. The skin tones doesn't look natural anymore. How much does it change the color temp? 1000K?

I know you said the variance in 2017 panels should be pretty minor but Rtings pre-calibration results between B7/C7/E7 seems to vary at least with gamma. The color temp seems to be too warm with all models (about 6000K).

What kind of results do you get with factory default Technicolor Expert with color temp warm 1 and warm 2? If you have a similar color temp (too warm with warm 2) then maybe your settings should help my panel with same settings?

I also applied your Dolby Vision settings with the custom workflow because I didn't like the default picture.
It balanced the picture but I still prefer the HDR 10 with dynamic contrast set to low (Technicolor Expert warm 2). Too bad I can't change the picture mode to hdr 10 instead of dolby vision on netflix or can I?
When I watch movies via Apple TV 4k in Dolby Vision, Should I just force the Display output to HDR 10 60hz with match content settings: Frame Rate ON and Dynamic Range OFF?

All in all I still like the picture with factory defaults Technicolor Expert with warm 2 but it bummers me out that I can't get it properly calibrated here in Finland. I don't know if it would be even worth it, considering how much it would cost. Especially when hdr calibrating seems to divide even professionals opinions.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #33668 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshortell View Post
I saw this for the first time a few weeks ago, and now I can't unsee it. It isn't super noticable all the time depending on what I'm watching, but it really shows up when there is a uniform color background. I'm past my factory warranty, although I did buy an extended Squaretrade warranty from Costco. I'm waiting to see if it gets worse before I decide what to do.

My set is a 65C7P. It looks like a vertical seam going down the exact middle but the tint is different on both sides and seems to be becoming more noticeable. I've never noticed it until last night and I've watched it a lot. Could it be a defect that is just now showing up or do you think it may go away. It has been a great set with no banding at all. Could the pixel refresh help? I'm open to suggestions.
post #33669 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
My set is a 65C7P. It looks like a vertical seam going down the exact middle but the tint is different on both sides and seems to be becoming more noticeable. I've never noticed it until last night and I've watched it a lot. Could it be a defect that is just now showing up or do you think it may go away. It has been a great set with no banding at all. Could the pixel refresh help? I'm open to suggestions.
What you have described sounds quite similar to the problem I had with my original panel. It was most prominent when a totally red screen was displayed. The left half of the screen was a darker shade than the right side of the screen. I prepared for the technicians visit by ensuring I had a red slide loaded on a USB stick, and other scenes recorded to my Directv receiver that clearly displayed the issue. Pixel refresher did not help and the issue became more prominent as time passed. If your TV is still under warranty I suggest you contact LG ASAP. The panel was replaced with one that had other issues. I now have a third panel that was shipped directly to me that is scheduled for installation Monday. All panels were covered under warranty.
post #33670 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Mine isn't the exact middle ... it is a little right of center I think. I first saw it playing RDR2 in a snow scene. Thought it was the game, but I get it on all content so I know it's the panel. I have a 65B7A. I tried a pixel refresh and it is still there, although it might be a tiny bit better (could be my imagination). I'll try to get a pic of it to post later.

post #33671 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6405 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentn View Post
So, I'd been waiting about 4 weeks without a functional TV - but I finally got a replacement Display Panel for my 65B7A. It went on there was a lot of drama, it went on backorder and then finally arrived. Service guy installed yesterday and this one works - let me tell you, it's been rough without a tv in our living room for so long!

Even though it's a happy ending, I was rather unhappy with LG's customer service. My original issue started on 9/23 and because of the delays with their replacement parts (and sending defective parts) my TV wasn't fixed until 11/20 (and almost 4 weeks without a working TV). LG refused to replace my TV (cost of panel to Service Center, btw, cost over $2000, Main board about $300 and power supply price unknown - didn't ask). They literally spent more to replace parts and pay the service center than it would have been to give me a new OLED TV.

When this panel went on backorder, I immediately contacted LG Support through twitter (I didn't want to deal with phone support as they were always unhelpful and borderline rude) and they direct messaged me within an hour (I was very surprised!). By the end of the business day, they'd magically found the panel and were shipping it same day (they said). I asked a few more questions about shipping and ETA and they went radio silent. Checked in the next day and sent them a message. Sent a message the next day. Another message the day after that, etc. Nothing. As of today, they never responded to any of the 8 messages I sent them after our initial conversation. I even messaged them multiple times just through standard twitter messages. No response. It's been 10 days. It doesn't matter at this point but that's really crappy customer service. (also, they sent the part out 6 days after they said they would)

The part was supposed to arrive on Friday, but didn't. I would say I was rather upset. Tracking, according to service center, showed no updates. I called LG, complained that being without a tv for so long has been unacceptable. They told me if they replaced my tv that it would take 3-4 weeks to approve - to just wait for the part. They extended my warranty for 3 months (I asked for some compensation) and basically told me to go kick rocks.

So, it's fixed! Panel seems okay and I didn't seen any visible banding...yet. But I haven't had too much time to really take a look in a controlled environment.
Where did you originally buy the TV, did you ask for dealer support? That is when your dealer, where you bought, should shine.
dwaleke likes this.
post #33672 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Where did you originally buy the TV, did you ask for dealer support? That is when your dealer, where you bought, should shine.
I bought the TV through Amazon - the seller was Beach Camera. I didn't know I could ask for dealer support (Not sure who I'd ask that to and what it would have done for me). Sorta thought I was on my own under the warranty.
post #33673 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentn View Post
I bought the TV through Amazon - the seller was Beach Camera. I didn't know I could ask for dealer support (Not sure who I'd ask that to and what it would have done for me). Sorta thought I was on my own under the warranty.
Beach Camera & Buydig.com operate out of the same location: 80 Carter Dr, Edison, NJ 08817. They are internet sellers. Several months after the fact and already serviced by LG what would you expect the seller to do??

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000

Last edited by bob brennan; 11-23-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #33674 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The problem with ARC as implemented with any TV using HDMI 2.0 - is that by its very design - it will "slow down" the audio to the point that it is arriving after the matching video frame has arrived. That's the exact opposite behavior that most audio sync algorithms are designed to combat. With non-ARC connections, the video signal is running behind the audio. Because of this, you may never get it just right. I finally gave up and got myself a simple 4x2 matrix switch that routes to the TV and the AVR at the same time via HDMI. They have no choice by to be perfectly synced.
SonOfTumble; could you please expand on the 4x2 matrix switch solution? The [near] perfect audio/video sync is really all that I'm missing right now...

Also, is it better using the optical out?
post #33675 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Screen Defect

Quote:
I've posted pictures of my screen defect. You can see a vertical band in the center of the screen and everything on the right side is darker than the left side. I have never noticed it before and I've watched it closely. It seems very strange. I'm guessing I need to call LG and see about a new panel. It's very noticeable on certain backgrounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_205002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	2486668   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_205751.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	2486670   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_205540.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	2486672   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_205249.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	2486674  
post #33676 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOut View Post
SonOfTumble; could you please expand on the 4x2 matrix switch solution? The [near] perfect audio/video sync is really all that I'm missing right now...

Also, is it better using the optical out?
The 4x2 that I use passes all the current 4K/HDR signals including HDR10, HLG, and DV. It has 4 HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 inputs and 2 HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 outputs. It's definitely better than optical because it's using HDMI - which depending on your source - will pass any audio data untouched including all object based signals such as lossless Atmos. Because it's a matrix switch both outputs can receive the same input simultaneously which forces the handshake to sync the audio and video to both outputs before the signal leaves the switch.

My current setup uses three of the inputs: a Samsung K8500 UHD Blu-ray player, AppleTV 4K, and DirecTV 4K. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 AVR ( 2015 - the last of the real Pioneer's ) which will not pass a DV signal but doesn't care what kind of audio I throw at it. I only use one of the inputs on the Pioneer and it only does audio with this setup. The other output from the matrix goes directly to my C7.

This switch is not cheap, but it actually works. About $300. If you are still interested send me a private message, and I will give you more details.
SpaceOut likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 11-23-2018 at 08:23 PM.
post #33677 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've posted pictures of my screen defect. You can see a vertical band in the center of the screen and everything on the right side is darker than the left side. I have never noticed it before and I've watched it closely. It seems very strange. I'm guessing I need to call LG and see about a new panel. It's very noticeable on certain backgrounds.
YES. Call LG. That is just not right. You shouldn't see any differences in horizontal color shading.

post #33678 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Why my Oled B7 gets more than 1100nits with photometer?

Guys why Oled is reaching maximum of 1323 nits in that particular light scene in Hitman 2? Shouldn't Oled TVs reach up to 700nits or something as official data suggest? I've noticed that in other games too when HDR is enabled. When I disable HDR in that Hitman 2 scene then this lamp is showing max 660 in SDR which is close to max official brightness value.

https://ibb.co/gCGHvV
https://ibb.co/gv6xUq
https://ibb.co/bAZRpq
https://ibb.co/ibBmNA

To be absolutely sure I confirmed it here on the video guy is actually measuring the brightness in nits on the particular movie scenes. I paused and measured the sun which has got similar value even bit higher than his measures

Last edited by GamersGen; 11-24-2018 at 03:45 AM.
post #33679 of 35899 Old 11-23-2018, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
first 4k tv channel (cable) here in romania, launched today (tests, but is there).
tv is reporting uhd/16:9/2160p/aac.
few questions... no video codec info - supposing hevc, standard for 4k tv? and avr is reporting ac3as sound input, is tv converting aac to dolby digital?
ah - screen capture is done only in 1920x1080.

Last edited by codyrocco; 11-24-2018 at 12:47 AM.
post #33680 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Black Friday finally pulled me in and got me to buy the LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player to pair with my LG C7 OLED...the price on the LG UBK90 was way too good to pass up (plus it came with a free Logitech Harmony 665 universal remote)...for a 4K Dolby Vision player it seems like a steal...it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Oppo or Panasonic UB820 but it has all the main features I need...sounds like the best bang for the buck price/performance 4K player

I bought a few 4K Blu-rays- Coco, The Revenant and Mission Impossible: Fallout...will slowly build up my collection with reference movies like Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, Planet Earth 2 etc when the price on those discs drops a bit more
sonoftumble and cathodeRay like this.
post #33681 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Panel Uniformity

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #33682 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2189 Post(s)
Liked: 4092
Thread moved. Read posts that say "Read before posting" ...before posting. Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #33683 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is it safe to say that most every panel has some imperfection like tinting?
post #33684 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABeezy13 View Post
Hey all,

I’m sure there are threads here relating to this but I’m so overwhelmed so please don’t flame me for starting a new topic. I’m not an expert but have some above average knowledge. I’ve had my tv since January and I can’t help but think the quality of cable tv on this B7 looks like pure crap. I know Comcast broadcasts in 720 (even tho I can change it to 1080p in the xfinity settings) but the image quality is just so bland and blurry. Nothing really wow’s me or looks good (only speaking to cable, uhd movies and video gamers and Netflix all that look great). Is there anything I can do to optimize this tv to make basic cable look good? I’m a huge sports fan, hockey, football, baseball, WWE (lol) and with so much movement and motion it looks awful. It’s like a huge rabbit hole and every time I set out to try and make it look the best possible I get no where. So basically I’m asking for some advice from the community on what I can do to make standard definition content look the best as possible. Help a fellow OLED owner out! Please and thanks In advance.
I'll try to weigh in here to help if I can,

The first step IMHO is to try letting each individual device in your chain upscale to 4K resolution and determine which does it the best. In my setup for instance my roku, Denon x4400h, and E7 can all upscale to 4K HDR, so I fiddle with each one indivdually doing the upscaling to see what looks the best. Pick the content you're most into watching, and use the same footage over and over to see what looks best. This can lay the foundation for further processing improvements.

There are settings to play with on these TVs to help, don't let someone tell you to never use this or that setting. You gotta do what you gotta do to get the best PQ you can live with. You alone are the only one staring at your screen deciding what's best for you. Here's some to try:

Locate the trumotion setting on your TV and set deblur to 10 and dejudder to 0. This gets rid of most of the "blurry turf" you see in football games as the camera slow pans on the field with the small negative trade off of occasionally getting a translucent football spiral pass, it looks like a ghost ball. You can't fix this unfortunately, It's just the way the LGs handle motion. The Sony OLEDs will do a better job with motion.

If this doesn't do enough, set the noise reduction and mpeg noise reduction to AUTO. This can help with the tiling effect you get from heavy cable TV compression. The worst side effect I've noticed is occasionally football players look like they have a small "predator" force field around them.

If none of this helps, grab a roku ultra on sale this week for $50, and start experimenting with providers like sling TV, Playstation vue, youtube TV or somebody else that can give you a better base signal. Use their free trial periods to your advantage. You can also try a terrestrial Antenna like a mohu leaf or some such if you are near enough to the towers. That'll take the cable compression out of the equation and let you know better what you're dealing with.

At some point, if you've tried everything else you have to start looking at the source of the signal as the culprit, especially if your blurays look great, but the cable stinks.

Last edited by trptguy; 11-24-2018 at 09:08 AM.
post #33685 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
Is it safe to say that most every panel has some imperfection like tinting?

I would tend to think so yes. To varying degrees anyway. There is not a perfect panel with zero imperfections out there. You will always be able to nitpick small things.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #33686 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I would tend to think so yes. To varying degrees anyway. There is not a perfect panel with zero imperfections out there. You will always be able to nitpick small things.
My panel has tint, but I'm not sure what is an acceptable amount?
post #33687 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABeezy13 View Post
Hey all,

I’m sure there are threads here relating to this but I’m so overwhelmed so please don’t flame me for starting a new topic. I’m not an expert but have some above average knowledge. I’ve had my tv since January and I can’t help but think the quality of cable tv on this B7 looks like pure crap. I know Comcast broadcasts in 720 (even tho I can change it to 1080p in the xfinity settings) but the image quality is just so bland and blurry. Nothing really wow’s me or looks good (only speaking to cable, uhd movies and video gamers and Netflix all that look great). Is there anything I can do to optimize this tv to make basic cable look good? I’m a huge sports fan, hockey, football, baseball, WWE (lol) and with so much movement and motion it looks awful. It’s like a huge rabbit hole and every time I set out to try and make it look the best possible I get no where. So basically I’m asking for some advice from the community on what I can do to make standard definition content look the best as possible. Help a fellow OLED owner out! Please and thanks In advance.
For cable/sat/broadcast 720P/1080i/SDR signals, use the "technicolor Expert" picture mode and keep the Sharpness setting at 20 which is default for that mode. This will help somewhat. It won't be perfect. These signals will present challenges to picture quality because you are blowing them up by at least 4-8 times, so all the flaws in the signals are exposed/magnified. 1080P should look great, except in your case the cable box is upscaling a 720P/1080i signal which is another example of putting lipstick on a pig.

Attached is a chart which does a great job of illustrating the crazy upscaling a 4K TV has to do in order to fill the screen with low rez signals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resolutions-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-720p-dvd.png
Views:	62
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	2486832  

post #33688 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post
My panel has tint, but I'm not sure what is an acceptable amount?

That’s a personal thing. How much it bothers you may differ to someone else. Very hard to say what is “acceptable”. You need to decide if you can live with it or not.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #33689 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
55c7p won’t turn on after 8 hours - quick start on. Only happened a few days ago , new update installed for weeks now with no issue. With quick start off , works as it should after using at night and turning on the following day. When this no power happens , tv is unresponsive to remote. Only way is to pull plug and plug in again.
post #33690 of 35899 Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
That’s a personal thing. How much it bothers you may differ to someone else. Very hard to say what is “acceptable”. You need to decide if you can live with it or not.
It's tough to capture in photos but it's just on the right edge of the screen. I'll try taking a photo again to see if I can share it here for opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page