2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980427Likes

post #33721 of 36419 Old 11-26-2018, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
But it's my understanding that with RGB Range set to "Automatic," PS4 Pro outputs SDR games in "Full" and HDR games in "Limited". So on the TV side a Black Level setting of "Low" would run havoc with SDR games. Or were you thinking maybe changing the RBG Range setting on the console to "Limited" and leaving it there for all output types?

Yes, that's been my experience.

You're not kidding! My head is spinning from all the various recommendations and variations, lol. What you wrote though is what I finally concluded, and this is how I have my system set up: Console set to "Automatic" and TV to "Low" for HDR and "High" for SDR games. I'm using this input for the PS4 Pro (gaming only!) so that makes it easier. But, I have to say, even with this configuration I'm still seeing some black crushing. I noticed this last night when trying out Fallout 4. The game's environment looked stunning, no issues, but then when the player ran into Codsworth and started interacting with him, the cutscences were nearly black and almost monochromatic. No detail or color noticeable. That's what made me think maybe I should change the input icon/label.
You are seeing black crush because your settings are still wrong.

Set the TV to Low (this is the default), and set your PS4 to Limited. This will apply for SDR and HDR.

You always want the TV and the consoles to match, so low with limited and high with full. In almost all cases, when not using a PC, you want low/limited. This will fix your black crush issues
jhumur likes this.

Last edited by themcbrooms; 11-26-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Clarification & Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33722 of 36419 Old 11-26-2018, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I've enjoyed my LG C7 65” OLED for 8 months now. Last week, I learned about a protective plastic film on the BACK of the C7.

So I looked behind my TV and saw the film was still there on the back of the thin part of the screen (it did not cover any ventilation grates, it was overlaid on the aluminum—very hard to spot, and I'm thorough :] ). Unlike the film that was on the front of the screen, there are no labels telling to remove this. I don't recall anything in the manual about this either.

I've put in about 175 hours on the TV with the film stuck on the back. I’m concerned about the damage leaving the film has done to the picture, as it might not allow for proper heat dissipation.

And then there's the warning from LG, however incoherent (probably just covering their behinds?), which warns to remove the plastic immediately.

I game for 4-5 hours at a time on the TV, and never notice the screen emitting much heat.

Yet—I'm concerned about potential dimming or other damage to the screen that might have occurred due to keeping the film on for so long.
—I wonder if any of you who have left this film on can assuage my fears...who have compared temperature or other metrics to standard.

Thank you,
post #33723 of 36419 Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Here's an odd problem: my time on B7 (when I press Home) is randomly wrong. Sometimes it's an hour ahead, sometimes an hour behind. I have date and time set to auto and have entered my zip code and time zone (los Angeles). Fw 5.80.04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33724 of 36419 Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
[...] but it's the TV that needs the processing chops in order to take the 8 bit DV metadata stream, and then up-convert it to 12 bit color. That's why you won't see color banding with Dolby Vision content.
always asked myself - in which way is the tv handling the 12bit signal, having only a native 10bit panel? something like 10bit+frc or is using extra color information for better dithering, eventually using LUT ?
post #33725 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I really need someone to explain to me why I am getting ABL dimming when i watch dark scenes, like for example Ozark. Ozark for those who dont know has a very dark image most of the time and I noticed that my B7 is kicking the ABL during these prolonged dark scenes.

Shouldnt it be the other way around? IE : kicking ABL when the scene is very bright?

It is driving me crazy.
post #33726 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
You don’t need the PC input though. That’s what I meant to bold.
The OP also mentioned 444 chroma which you only get with the PC input, which is why I added that statement.
post #33727 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I'm with ya, I take care of my disks as well, and had the x700, but couldn't tolerate the constant freezing and switching to DV to watch DV lol. The UBK90 is an improvement but I have encountered a few hiccups here and their.
Yeah I regret buying the x700. Were you having player freezes, or just skips during films? I’ve gotten skips on like 40% of the UHDs I have. BRs are fine, but when I buy a UHD I make sure to get one with a code so I can switch when the player acts up. Shame as it works nice with the OLED, and I’ve always been a fan of Sony players.

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
post #33728 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickingupchange View Post
Hi all,

I've enjoyed my LG C7 65” OLED for 8 months now. Last week, I learned about a protective plastic film on the BACK of the C7.

So I looked behind my TV and saw the film was still there on the back of the thin part of the screen (it did not cover any ventilation grates, it was overlaid on the aluminum—very hard to spot, and I'm thorough :] ). Unlike the film that was on the front of the screen, there are no labels telling to remove this. I don't recall anything in the manual about this either.

I've put in about 175 hours on the TV with the film stuck on the back. I’m concerned about the damage leaving the film has done to the picture, as it might not allow for proper heat dissipation.

And then there's the warning from LG, however incoherent (probably just covering their behinds?), which warns to remove the plastic immediately.

I game for 4-5 hours at a time on the TV, and never notice the screen emitting much heat.

Yet—I'm concerned about potential dimming or other damage to the screen that might have occurred due to keeping the film on for so long.
—I wonder if any of you who have left this film on can assuage my fears...who have compared temperature or other metrics to standard.

Thank you,
It won't hurt anything operationally speaking to leave the plastic film on the back. However, there is info somewhere in the LG Knowledge Base where they recommend removing/pealing it off. If you leave it on for an extended period of time, the adhesives may bond to the aluminum and make it difficult to cleanly remove.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #33729 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
I really need someone to explain to me why I am getting ABL dimming when i watch dark scenes, like for example Ozark. Ozark for those who dont know has a very dark image most of the time and I noticed that my B7 is kicking the ABL during these prolonged dark scenes.

Shouldnt it be the other way around? IE : kicking ABL when the scene is very bright?

It is driving me crazy.
There are two reasons the screen dims based on picture content. When there's a very bright section covering a large portion of the screen it'll trigger the brightness limiter. The other is the screen saver that is triggered by what appears to be static content. It doesn't seem to actually detect changing pictures, but instead looks for variations in picture level. If a prolonged scene has just about the same picture level throughout, the TV will think it's a still image, and dim down to protect itself. When the picture level changes enough it comes out of the screen saver mode.
post #33730 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injector View Post
There are two reasons the screen dims based on picture content. When there's a very bright section covering a large portion of the screen it'll trigger the brightness limiter. The other is the screen saver that is triggered by what appears to be static content. It doesn't seem to actually detect changing pictures, but instead looks for variations in picture level. If a prolonged scene has just about the same picture level throughout, the TV will think it's a still image, and dim down to protect itself. When the picture level changes enough it comes out of the screen saver mode.
Thanks a lot! Is there a way to disable this? I dont mind dimming in bright scenes so much but the dimming in the case of Ozark makes the series almost unwatchable. It gets extremely dark...
post #33731 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Thanks a lot! Is there a way to disable this? I dont mind dimming in bright scenes so much but the dimming in the case of Ozark makes the series almost unwatchable. It gets extremely dark...
Doesn't sound right to me. I don't get dimming when watching a darkish movie.

In truth I haven't seen the ABL on a bright movie either, maybe I'm just not observant but I don't enjoy watching super bright scenes anyway.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
post #33732 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post

In truth I haven't seen the ABL on a bright movie either, maybe I'm just not observant but I don't usually watch super bright scenes anyway.
Tbh i never noticed the ABL kicking in in bright scene either. But in dark scenes like watching Ozark for example it happens very often. If you have netflix check it out. The series has often a very dark style and when this happens the tv dims until a bright scene appears (or I force it via pressing a button on the remote to "wake up" the tv).
post #33733 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post

In truth I haven't seen the ABL on a bright movie either, maybe I'm just not observant but I don't enjoy watching super bright scenes anyway.
I've had this happen to me when the screensaver kicks in on my Samsung K8500 UHD Blu-ray player. The jumping around Samsung logo is pretty small, so there are large areas of the screen where it will stay black for several minutes. Eventually, the TV's ABL kicks in and the screensaver gets very dim. Swapping HDMI inputs back and forth makes the TV return to normal brightness.

Although you can turn off ABL using a service remote, I would recommend that you not go down that rabbit hole. Although the dimming action can get annoying, when you play content with super bright images, the ABL will protect your TV from burn-in and image retention. Without ABL it's really easy to overheat the OLED's and damage your TV.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #33734 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
New panel being installed on the 4th. With tech and the live video they both were shocked just how bad the stuck pixel was. Not only a strong white dot, it manifested into a comma like hook next to it. They offered a C8 and even a QF9 yet by accepting that my warranty would be concluded.. So decided for a panel replacement as that would keep my warranty active,. Accidental damage, burn in etc active until 2021. Hope I made the right choice. Anyways LG said these are the latest panels and have the most recent tech in them. So excited this happening so quickly as this crazy stuck pixel is driving me nuts. Anyways just wanted to follow up in case anyone wanted to hear latest details. Have a great one guys.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Datagg; 11-28-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #33735 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Totally agree - Issue is with LG not Beach/Buydig!!
I understand who is to blame. However you can reach out to your dealer for help is all I am saying.....
bob brennan likes this.
post #33736 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
New panel being installed on the 4th. With tech and the live video they both were shocked just how bad the stuck pixel was. Not only a strong white dot, it manifested into a comma like hook next to it. They offered a C8 and even a QF9 yet by accepting that my warranty would be concluded.. So decided for a panel replacement as that would keep my warranty active,. Accidental damage, burn in etc active until 2021. Hope I made the right choice. Anyways LG said these are the latest panels have have have the most recent tech in them. So excited this happening so quickly as this crazy stuck pixel is driving me nuts. Anyways just wanted to follow up in case anyone wanted to hear latest details. Have a great one guys.
My new panel (OLED65C7P) was installed yesterday. This is the third panel that has been on this TV, and it is by far the best.
Datagg, jhumur and noobtv like this.
post #33737 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
My new panel (OLED65C7P) was installed yesterday. This is the third panel that has been on this TV, and it is by far the best.
I submitted my pictures to LG two days ago. I'm still waiting to hear something.
Datagg likes this.
post #33738 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 05.80.04 - ( CALIBRATION REV. 3.5 - Sept. 2 18 )

HAPPY LABOR DAY!

The settings below are ALL NEW except for HDR10 technicolor Expert.

Enjoy. Feedback is welcome.
I’d just like to thank sonoftumble for taking the time to research and post these settings. I have a 65” E7 that I’ve had for almost a year now after coming from a Kuro elite. I liked the technicolor settings out of the box so I didn’t do much tinkering though I did have problems with DV like everyone else until the last update. I have been lurking on these boards for awhile but didn’t want to take the plunge and try these settings until recently when I felt the picture was lacking just a bit. I plugged these in last night and tried a UHD version of fantastic beasts for HDR and some Hulu content for SDR and wow what an improvement, it made an already amazing set that much better, thank you so much.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #33739 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

I have a LG B7 and it must be around 2-3 months old. Recently started experiencing an issue where the TV won't turn on.
Sometimes it turns on, but only displays like a black shadow for 1s and then turns off by itself.

Sometimes it is fully able to turn on but after a minute or so some blue pixel glitch thing appears on screen and it turns off. After a few attempts it is fully turned on and functioning for as long as 2-3 movies.

I have tried many solutions like unplugging from socket, holding down power button for 30s etc. Please any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
post #33740 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
Quote:
Tbh i never noticed the ABL kicking in in bright scene either. But in dark scenes like watching Ozark for example it happens very often. If you have netflix check it out. The series has often a very dark style and when this happens the tv dims until a bright scene appears (or I force it via pressing a button on the remote to "wake up" the tv).

I think this is an issue with the DV algorithm, it’s still not fully “set”. You may notice this with Haunting if Hill House as well.
post #33741 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybairstow View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a LG B7 and it must be around 2-3 months old. Recently started experiencing an issue where the TV won't turn on.

Sometimes it turns on, but only displays like a black shadow for 1s and then turns off by itself.
Had similar problems, most likely motherboard which fixed it for me. Call LG and hopefully they’ll hook you up, in few weeks !
johnnybairstow likes this.

Last edited by rondongon; 11-27-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #33742 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 624
My sister in law came over for thanksgiving
She watches my c7 and said it’s a great picture
Said she bought a qled @ Costco and that the picture is equal to the oled

I just nodded my head, didn’t have the heart to tell her
mjwagner, audit13, Datagg and 2 others like this.

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #33743 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any word if eARC will be implemented in a future firmware update?
post #33744 of 36419 Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungmike513 View Post
Any word if eARC will be implemented in a future firmware update?

LG can’t as the necessary hardware are not on the set. Maybe the 2019 will have EArc. This link explains EArc https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wha...u-need-to-know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
post #33745 of 36419 Old 11-28-2018, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
LG can’t as the necessary hardware are not on the set. Maybe the 2019 will have EArc. This link explains EArc https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wha...u-need-to-know
I'm not sure the link is entirely correct though. A HDMI device does not actually have to be fully HDMI 2.1 compatible in order to support eARC. My 2017 receiver line was recently updated via new firmware to support eARC for example.

On another note, I am keen to know if anyone has heard any updates regarding the 2160p50 bt.2020 muted colour issues, and if there is any plan for a fix, or is this it? (4.80.04 firmware.....given the 2018 sets are now priority)

The affected firmware hasn't been officially released in Australia, so I don't really have anyone else to blame but myself for jumping the gun and downloading the UK firmware, however, since UK is PAL too, their customers there would have to be pretty annoyed!
post #33746 of 36419 Old 11-28-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themcbrooms View Post
You are seeing black crush because your settings are still wrong.

Set the TV to Low (this is the default), and set your PS4 to Limited. This will apply for SDR and HDR.

You always want the TV and the consoles to match, so low with limited and high with full. In almost all cases, when not using a PC, you want low/limited. This will fix your black crush issues
Thank you, themcbroom. I've done just that and I'm happy with the results.
post #33747 of 36419 Old 11-28-2018, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

I pray I don't have to go down the road of the panel lottery. Glad all finally worked out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post
New panel being installed on the 4th. With tech and the live video they both were shocked just how bad the stuck pixel was. Not only a strong white dot, it manifested into a comma like hook next to it. They offered a C8 and even a QF9 yet by accepting that my warranty would be concluded.. So decided for a panel replacement as that would keep my warranty active,. Accidental damage, burn in etc active until 2021. Hope I made the right choice. Anyways LG said these are the latest panels have have have the most recent tech in them. So excited this happening so quickly as this crazy stuck pixel is driving me nuts. Anyways just wanted to follow up in case anyone wanted to hear latest details. Have a great one guys.

post #33748 of 36419 Old 11-28-2018, 09:15 AM

Hey, browsing through this thread I realized that LG has a new firmware out for my panel (65" B7A). I went into my TV's menu and checked. It's running software version 4.71.00. When I click on the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button (which I have done in the past as well), it says no updates found. Of course, I have "Allow Automatic Updates" checked but it never seems to do anything. So why is it that the TV isn't updating automatically, and should I just go ahead and do a manual update? I've already downloaded v 05.80.04 from the US server.
post #33749 of 36419 Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
C7 here and have watched both seasons of Ozark (great show) and haven't ever seen this behavior. Long shot, but have you turned off power saving features for the TV as that would dim your screen at various times.

post #33750 of 36419 Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post
Hey, browsing through this thread I realized that LG has a new firmware out for my panel (65" B7A). I went into my TV's menu and checked. It's running software version 4.71.00. When I click on the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button (which I have done in the past as well), it says no updates found. Of course, I have "Allow Automatic Updates" checked but it never seems to do anything. So why is it that the TV isn't updating automatically, and should I just go ahead and do a manual update? I've already downloaded v 05.80.04 from the US server.
I have never been one to shy away from firmware updates, do it all the time for all my devices... yet I have become a bit gunshy after just a few hours after manually doing the latest for my C7 and then developed a odd stuck pixel. My gut tells me it was just a crazy coincidence, yet cant stop wondering on that timing. After my panel is swapped out and passes the mustard, i'm thinking i will leave it up to the "auto update feature" or maybe shut updates off all together. There some out there on Youtube land that think a firmware update is designed to slowly degrade your unit for nefarious reasons... I'm not sure I believe that conspiracy, yet it makes you think. Ok go ahead, tell me im nuts. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
jhumur likes this.

Last edited by Datagg; 11-28-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page