2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980427Likes

post #33871 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
(snip)

I highly recommend using an HDMI switch designed to pass 18Gb-4K-HDR/HLG/DV/4:4:4 signals unmolested. It should at a minimum have two full featured HDMI outputs ( HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 ) so you can have one signal going straight to the TV, and the other feeding to the AVR for supporting multichannel/object audio. The number of inputs will be based on how many external video playback devices you have. Most of us will have three - cable/sat box, Blu-ray, and a streamer.

(snip)
Interesting. Would you care to recommend one (or two or three)?
m-a-r-k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33872 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-a-r-k View Post
They are not referring to the LG C7 specifically in any reports yet which is why I'm checking here first.
Yes, it is the Denon AVR as when people swapped to the new Sony STR-DN1080 it didn't cause picture deterioration.

I've been using a Denon AVR since I got my B7 - zero issues with picture quality. Please provide a link, there was a bug that caused with banding based on specific settings which was easy to overcome with a setting tweak until the firmware patch was issued by Denon. That's old news.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #33873 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 203
My signal flow goes Everything (consoles, cable, BR) -> Denon x4300h -> C7 (-> Denon for ARC). I have no noticeable picture degradation as the result of passing through the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33874 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I've been using a Denon AVR since I got my B7 - zero issues with picture quality. Please provide a link, there was a bug that caused with banding based on specific settings which was easy to overcome with a setting tweak until the firmware patch was issued by Denon. That's old news.
Which Denon?
From what I've been reading (a lot recently!) this is only the X1500 and X2500. Looking at the specs and reading between the lines it looks like the X3500 and above have better video processing and hence chips. £210 price difference though for eARC and a few others bits I don't think I need.

Some links (not exhaustive)
https://www.avforums.com/threads/den...hread.2185515/
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...n1080-avr.html
I'm not going to go through and find specific pages :-)
post #33875 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
My signal flow goes Everything (consoles, cable, BR) -> Denon x4300h -> C7 (-> Denon for ARC). I have no noticeable picture degradation as the result of passing through the AVR.
I have all my sources going through my Denon x6400h to my Optoma 4k HDR laser projector. No issues whatsoever. Prior to that I was using an Onkyo AVR again with all my sources going through the AVR to my then Epson ProCinema 1080UB projector. Again no video issues. I suppose it may be an issue with the lower end AVRs but certainly not the higher end models. They normally have excellent video processing. If you want good video processing you need to be willing to pay for it...TANSTAAFL!

Mark
post #33876 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which Denon?
From what I've been reading (a lot recently!) this is only the X1500 and X2500. Looking at the specs and reading between the lines it looks like the X3500 and above have better video processing and hence chips. £210 price difference though for eARC and a few others bits I don't think I need.

Some links (not exhaustive)
https://www.avforums.com/threads/den...hread.2185515/
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...n1080-avr.html
I'm not going to go through and find specific pages :-)

I've had 2 displays calibrated by one of the best calibrators in the States who would tell you to never use the AVR for processing, plus I'm not aware of anyone who knows what they are doing (apologies if that's offensive) recommend using the video processing available on any AVR. You should just be passing the video through the AVR "or pre "untouched" and let your display or source device handle the rest. That's a nice way of saying I would never consider the video processing capabilities of any AVR or pre in my buying decision. There are other devices better suited to handle those duties
sonoftumble likes this.

Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #33877 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As a general rule, AVR's are not the best choice when it comes VIDEO switching/distribution. In some ways I wish they would take the "V" out of the moniker "AVR". With 1080P signals, it wasn't / isn't an issue, but with 18Gb-4K-HDR/HLG/DV/4:4:4 signals, it is a crap shoot. Depending on the brand and model, you will find a plethora of variations in terms of the quality of the video chipsets in the receiver. Some AVR models will use chipsets that employ DSC compression which actually removes 10 bit metadata even though they will pass 18Gb bandwidth tests. These are the cheaper chipsets. Other AVR's will use CSC chipsets which cost more, and will not manipulate the video signal, but at the same time they will upscale a 1080P signal even though you really want the TV to be doing the upscaling. Sometimes, you can turn that function off - depending on the brand and model - and sometimes you can't.

I highly recommend using an HDMI switch designed to pass 18Gb-4K-HDR/HLG/DV/4:4:4 signals unmolested. It should at a minimum have two full featured HDMI outputs ( HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 ) so you can have one signal going straight to the TV, and the other feeding to the AVR for supporting multichannel/object audio. The number of inputs will be based on how many external video playback devices you have. Most of us will have three - cable/sat box, Blu-ray, and a streamer.

( As a side note, there are streamers out there that do not support DV. Those are the one's to avoid because most likely they are using the DSC chipsets, as you cannot compress DV or you will not get a picture. )

Just my two cents.
I don’t agree with that general rule and it certainly has not been my experience. Can their be video processing issues with the lower end AVR models, sure. But you will just as likely find audio issues as well at the low end. In my experience the higher end AVRs have excellent video processing capability....you get what you pay for, TANSTAAFL!

Mark
post #33878 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've had 2 displays calibrated by one of the best calibrators in the States who would tell you to never use the AVR for processing, plus I'm not aware of anyone who knows what they are doing (apologies if that's offensive) recommend using the video processing available on any AVR. You should just be passing the video through the AVR "or pre "untouched" and let your display or source device handle the rest. That's a nice way of saying I would never consider the video processing capabilities of any AVR or pre in my buying decision. There are other devices better suited to handle those duties
Opinions are just that, opinions. Everboby has one...😎

Mark
post #33879 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Opinions are just that, opinions. Everboby has one...😎

Well when DNice makes a recommendation its not just based on opinion. Suggest some reading if you want to see the science behind my recommendation.
sonoftumble and MrRobotoPlus like this.

post #33880 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...actually I kind of do agree with the opinion though. Letting your AVR do the switching is one thing. Actually processing is another matter. Some of them have excellent video processing chips, others not so much. I normally have the AVR do all the switching but just pass thru and no real processing.

Mark
post #33881 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well when DNice makes a recommendation its not just based on opinion. Suggest some reading if you want to see the science behind my recommendation.
Been here a long time. Read lots of his posts, he knows his stuff no doubt. No offense but it’s still his opinion and opinions differ.

Mark
post #33882 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BTW, I was actually responding to a post awhile back forget exactly from who, saying you shouldn’t let your AVR do the video switching. That was what I was specifically disagreeing with. At least when using higher end AVR’s. Again, JMO.

Mark
post #33883 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL...ok reading this a third time I do actually agree and it is exactly what I have always done. I let my AVR do all the video switching but always have set them to just pass thru the video signal and not do any actual video processing. I guess that should teach me to read a bit more carefully before I let my fingers start typing...

I guess I was still hung up on a previous post that recommended to not let your AVR do any video switching at all...
lsorensen likes this.

Mark
post #33884 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Here is the "why" for the U.K. version of FW 5.80.10. It's all about the 2018 U.K. models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TthtKfCOzmU

He also specifically mentioned the Alpha 9 processor, which is only in the 2018 models, as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sonoftumble likes this.

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #33885 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 01:32 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
For the past few weeks I've been having trouble streaming Amazon Prime Video on my C7. It freezes up every 3 minutes or so. Anyone else having this issue? I have the C7 hard-wired and I get about 95 Mbps. I did a speed test using the browser and it is getting the full download speed. I don't have this problem with Netflix on the C7. The confusing thing is that when I stream Prime Video on my PC, I don't get the constant freezing. What's going on here?

This may be a long shot, but if Comcast is your ISP, I think Netflix has servers pre-positioned in some Comcast Head Ends.

Like I said...a long shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #33886 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
It depends on the picture mode you are using as to whether you will have both H and V sharpness setting options. The default for SDR technicolor Expert is 20 and there is no H or V options - it's just plain Sharpness.
I thought default was 10?
post #33887 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2717 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Quote:
As a general rule, AVR's are not the best choice when it comes VIDEO switching/distribution. In some ways I wish they would take the "V" out of the moniker "AVR". With 1080P signals, it wasn't / isn't an issue, but with 18Gb-4K-HDR/HLG/DV/4:4:4 signals, it is a crap shoot. Depending on the brand and model, you will find a plethora of variations in terms of the quality of the video chipsets in the receiver. Some AVR models will use chipsets that employ DSC compression which actually removes 10 bit metadata even though they will pass 18Gb bandwidth tests. These are the cheaper chipsets. Other AVR's will use CSC chipsets which cost more, and will not manipulate the video signal, but at the same time they will upscale a 1080P signal even though you really want the TV to be doing the upscaling. Sometimes, you can turn that function off - depending on the brand and model - and sometimes you can't.

( As a side note, there are streamers out there that do not support DV. Those are the one's to avoid because most likely they are using the DSC chipsets, as you cannot compress DV or you will not get a picture. )

Just my two cents. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I don’t agree with that general rule and it certainly has not been my experience. Can their be video processing issues with the lower end AVR models, sure. But you will just as likely find audio issues as well at the low end. In my experience the higher end AVRs have excellent video processing capability....you get what you pay for, TANSTAAFL!
In a round about way, you kind of agreed with my generalization. I have an AVR that’s top shelf but about 3 years old; which means it knows what HDR10 is, but is clueless about DV or HLG - because of the video chipsets it uses. So it’s not always a “get what you pay for” kind of thing. I’m glad to hear that your AVR passes all the HDR formats - hopefully without excessive switching delays. Feel free to recommend all the brands and models that can handle all those formats.

I work with this stuff everyday, so I’m all eyes and ears!
m-a-r-k likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #33888 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Playing "home made" HDR content on the B7?

I have recently started creating videos on a camera with a 10 bit logarithmic output. I use an Atomos Ninja V recorder attached to it and save the file. The file is not ready for viewing, it must be graded to appear properly. Once graded, it has a large dynamic range that might look great on the B7 if viewed in HDR. I can create an output file in an mp4 or mkv container and place that on a USB flash drive. I would then like to plug the USB flash drive into my B7 and view the file. The grading program (DaVinci Resolve) can make HDR videos, but so far when I put the USB flash drive in the B7 and play the file through photos and videos, I get sound but no picture. I might add that I am using H.264 10 bit as the codec, which I suspect the B7 does not like.

Before I go too far in trying to understand what I might be doing wrong in preparing the HDR video, I hope to find out if anyone has had success in viewing HDR material through the USB input. Has anyone succeeded in using the USB input for HDR viewing? Or does the B7 only look for HDR on streaming and HDMI inputs?

Has anyone ever created their own HDR content and successfully viewed it in any manner on the any of these LG OLED models? Any suggestions?
post #33889 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Nowhere did I suggest letting fhe AVR do the processing!
One of the things I did say was that some have suggested that when setting the lower Denons to Bypass the video signal there is still some picture deterioration.
The general consensus here appears to be that it is the fault of the AVR (or at least the lower ones) but I'm trying to establish if they do this with all TVs (evidence says no) or just some AVR and particular TV combinations.
I'm just trying to check if this is true when connected to the LG C7!

Last edited by m-a-r-k; 12-07-2018 at 03:27 PM.
post #33890 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Nowhere did I suggest letting fhe AVR do the processing!
I'm just trying to check if this is true when connected to the LG C7!
If the receiver is indeed affecting the video signal quality, then it doesn't matter what display you are connecting to its output, you will still see the same drop in quality.
Either get a different receiver, or bypass it for video as discussed.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #33891 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuade View Post
If the receiver is indeed affecting the video signal quality, then it doesn't matter what display you are connecting to its output, you will still see the same drop in quality.
Either get a different receiver, or bypass it for video as discussed.
Trouble is not every one is reporting the PQ problem so it appears to be with particular TVs and even on bypass for a few.
Still no one has answered my specific question, does the Denon x2500H do this with the LG C7 even on bypass?
post #33892 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I thought default was 10?
You are correct!
cherry ghost likes this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #33893 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlight View Post
I have recently started creating videos on a camera with a 10 bit logarithmic output. I use an Atomos Ninja V recorder attached to it and save the file. The file is not ready for viewing, it must be graded to appear properly. Once graded, it has a large dynamic range that might look great on the B7 if viewed in HDR. I can create an output file in an mp4 or mkv container and place that on a USB flash drive. I would then like to plug the USB flash drive into my B7 and view the file. The grading program (DaVinci Resolve) can make HDR videos, but so far when I put the USB flash drive in the B7 and play the file through photos and videos, I get sound but no picture. I might add that I am using H.264 10 bit as the codec, which I suspect the B7 does not like.

Before I go too far in trying to understand what I might be doing wrong in preparing the HDR video, I hope to find out if anyone has had success in viewing HDR material through the USB input. Has anyone succeeded in using the USB input for HDR viewing? Or does the B7 only look for HDR on streaming and HDMI inputs?

Has anyone ever created their own HDR content and successfully viewed it in any manner on the any of these LG OLED models? Any suggestions?
I haven't created HDR content, but I've viewed several HDR clips via the USB port on my C7. Some were showroom demos for Sony products that played perfectly on the LG's!

post #33894 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 330
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Trouble is not every one is reporting the PQ problem so it appears to be with particular TVs and even on bypass for a few.

Still no one has answered my specific question, does the Denon x2500H do this with the LG C7 even on bypass?

The problem is most ppl won’t know if the AVR is degrading the picture quality unless they go direct from source to their display without the AVR in the chain.

Some older Denon and Marantz AVRs used to degrade the picture quality even with everything turned off in the AVR but I believe that was corrected in recent years. The degrading wasn’t dramatic but was noticeable if you removed the AVR from the chain and went directly from source to the display.

I still prefer to go direct from my UHD player to display for less devices in the chain while watching discs but am currently going through my Marantz 8805 which I did A/B on a few movies and didn’t see a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sonoftumble likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #33895 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I quickly read through a couple of the links you provided and at least one of the people reporting no loss of quality said he was viewing on a Plasma display which to me implies it is an older TV and not 4K, let alone HDR compatible. Its entirely possible that they simply weren't seeing the drop in quality, similar to what T-smith says.

Last edited by MrQuade; 12-07-2018 at 04:43 PM.
post #33896 of 36412 Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I'm about to upgrade my home theatre equipment and am looking at a Denon AVR-X2500H.

However there are many worrying reports on various forums including AVS Forum that there is a picture quality deterioration on the TV when connected to this AVR (and also AVR-X1500H).
It affects different TVs and in some cases also when in Bypass mode where no video processing is applied. It could be the Denon, it could be the TVs, it could be cables...

I want to ask before I bite, is there any one here with a B7 or C7 that has this AVR and do you see a picture quality reduction when watching external video sources such as Blu-ray?
Thank you.
I have the 2017 version (Denon AVR-X2400H) with an LG B7 and this is the first I've heard of it. Haven't noticed any degradation. In Bypass mode, the AVR should be passing through the digital signal so it wouldn't be applying any video processing AFAIK.
m-a-r-k likes this.
post #33897 of 36412 Old 12-08-2018, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlight View Post

Just a thought but have you tried H265 ?
I haven't created content but have played a lot of mkv H265 files. On a side note I also use a LG 970 UHD BluRay player that has a USB port for playing video files. Oddly , although there is some overlap, the TV will play some file types and the BluRay Player will play others. Between them I have never found a file that won't play on either.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #33898 of 36412 Old 12-08-2018, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
The problem is most ppl won’t know if the AVR is degrading the picture quality unless they go direct from source to their display without the AVR in the chain.

Some older Denon and Marantz AVRs used to degrade the picture quality even with everything turned off in the AVR but I believe that was corrected in recent years. The degrading wasn’t dramatic but was noticeable if you removed the AVR from the chain and went directly from source to the display.

I still prefer to go direct from my UHD player to display for less devices in the chain while watching discs but am currently going through my Marantz 8805 which I did A/B on a few movies and didn’t see a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct that many people wouldn't notice changes or even care, I'm aware that there are many biases on so many levels here to take into considersation which is why I've come to the knowledgable and informed to check :-)
post #33899 of 36412 Old 12-08-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuade View Post
I quickly read through a couple of the links you provided and at least one of the people reporting no loss of quality said he was viewing on a Plasma display which to me implies it is an older TV and not 4K, let alone HDR compatible. Its entirely possible that they simply weren't seeing the drop in quality, similar to what T-smith says.
Yes, I did note that many weren't 4K TVs but older models such as 1080p plasma etc. That's why I came here to check specifically with those of you who have the same TV I do, a C7.
I can see from the specs that the x3500h has better video processing even though I'd probably stick with video bypass.
post #33900 of 36412 Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv View Post
I have the 2017 version (Denon AVR-X2400H) with an LG B7 and this is the first I've heard of it. Haven't noticed any degradation. In Bypass mode, the AVR should be passing through the digital signal so it wouldn't be applying any video processing AFAIK.
Good to know, thanks for the response.
In theory, yes, bypass should not cause any change in the image but when I read a couple of accounts where that wasn't the case and swapping to a Sony sorted out their PQ deterioration I obviously became concerned about my choice of AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page