2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980235Likes

post #34021 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
When my c7 was new 2 years ago I saw this too, then I turned off energy savings and eye comfort (in each picture mode) and power savings (general) and it has not happened since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
I have all that disabled too and it's still an issue when watching extended dark scenes. I think it only applies to DV/HDR content though. I've never noticed it with SDR content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
Exactly. This really needs to be fixed. I am not very active in this board but if there are people who have contacts inside LG a heads up to them, would really be appreciated.
Those example scenes are not all that dim, so I'm thinking that there is either a corrupted configuration file, or a processor board that has lost it's marbles.

Has everyone who is dealing with this behavior performed a full factory reset? Not just a picture mode reset, but the whole enchilada reset?

EDIT: A corrupted config file will prevent you from actually changing a particular setting under the hood, even though you can make a change in a menu visually. Something to try. Experts will recommend that whenever a FW update is installed - regardless of brand - you should do a full factory reset. The factory reset will force the TV's OS to build all new/fresh config files.

EDIT 2: I watched "A Quiet Place" (DV) the other night. Lot's of dark scenes as a movie like that should have - [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] No strange dimming behavior.
We can avoid all this witch hunt if you have access to netflix. Watch Ozark or Haunted Hill in Dolby Vision which have some extended dark scenes and get back to us. That will put rest to all doubts.

I had no issues with A Quiet Place either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34022 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizm83 View Post
I had a similar problem with the dimming of the screen, or I should say, constant changing of 'oled light.'

I was watching Blade Runner 2049 in HDR, with dynamic contrast set to off (oled light 100), and then decided to give some boost in brightness (it was quite dim even in daylight scenes) so I put DC to low - the screen increased the brighness a little and then went back to initial, then I put the DC to off and the brightness remained the same.

Then I turned off the tv (B7) and turned it on again, continued the movie, set DC from off to low again - and the screen went brighter and remained that way. BUT - in every scene I experienced this dimming or brightness changing, even in the static scenes like at the end of the movie where K and Deckard walk in the snow, you could see the snow getting brighter then dimmer on repeat.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if you have the means to get your panel pro calibrated... do it. It's soooooooooooooooooooo worth it. Set it and forget it... been enjoying the hell out of mine and the peace of mind knowing it's set to look as it should is great.

Haven't touched a single setting since the calibration 8 months ago.

smurraybhm likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #34023 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Watched all of Hill House on the latest (at the time) firmware in 4K DV and definitely wasn't distracted by any dimming...I barely remember it happening once or twice. Also, watched Narcos Mexico in rapid succession and never had an issue...just another DP

Watch a lot of 4K HDR10 stuff from UHD BR and never have an issue either...

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34024 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Regarding dimming it's difficult to replicate it.

You can't just fast forward to a dark scene. You have to sit through it and wait for it to kick in.

Even with that I've tried to replicate exact scenes where I saw it once and it didn't kick in at the same point . Still happened though.
post #34025 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 110
LAST EDIT TO LG 2017 OLEDs SDR/HDR Game Modes:

• V5.2 / (non-PC) HDR Game Mode is now the recommended option for X1X HDR Calibration (with Color back to 48 to counter some color washing added by DC, e.g. fixing "vampire skins")
  • SDR (All modes) recommended Gamma is back to 2.2 / MEDIUM (to counter noticeable black crush in movies)
  • V5 - EXPERIMENTAL promoted as the recommended HDR Game profile

More info -> Here

Last edited by P40L0; 12-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
post #34026 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all!

I'm relatively new to the forum. I have a 2017 B7 and absolutely love the set! My old Denon didn't support any 4K so I am looking at either replacing that unit with something newer that supports 4k (Denon, Sony, or Onkyo), or replacing my soundbar (Atlantic Technology FS 7.1) with a Sonos playbar. I currently only use a BluRay player, AppleTV, and HTPC. I could plug everything into the TV and just use optic into the Sonos. I think this would allow for the easiest setup and still use the LG Smart Remote to drive everything.

If I go with a AVR, i'm concerned with OTA programming, leveraging multiple remotes (or purchasing a harmony).

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on options. I have a somewhat limited budget for the AVR (500ish) but from what I've seen, that should get me either a Sony DN1080, Denon AVR-S940 (or X2400H), or Onkyo TX-NR676.

Thanks in advance!
post #34027 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Has everyone who is dealing with this behavior performed a full factory reset? Not just a picture mode reset, but the whole enchilada reset?
I'm annoyed enough by the issue that I'd be willing to give this a shot, but my display has been fully calibrated, and I'd be concerned that I'd lose everything, including the DV file that was created for it.

Really, though, just check out some of the content we're recommending. I'm using the internal app, myself. It's not going to just rear its ugly head right away, so let the show run. It'll happen.

Last edited by Reflex-Arc; 12-15-2018 at 05:22 PM.
post #34028 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaDad View Post
Hello all!

I'm relatively new to the forum. I have a 2017 B7 and absolutely love the set! My old Denon didn't support any 4K so I am looking at either replacing that unit with something newer that supports 4k (Denon, Sony, or Onkyo), or replacing my soundbar (Atlantic Technology FS 7.1) with a Sonos playbar. I currently only use a BluRay player, AppleTV, and HTPC. I could plug everything into the TV and just use optic into the Sonos. I think this would allow for the easiest setup and still use the LG Smart Remote to drive everything.

If I go with a AVR, i'm concerned with OTA programming, leveraging multiple remotes (or purchasing a harmony).

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on options. I have a somewhat limited budget for the AVR (500ish) but from what I've seen, that should get me either a Sony DN1080, Denon AVR-S940 (or X2400H), or Onkyo TX-NR676.

Thanks in advance!
Greetings from an Iowa native and Hawkeye. Good choices on the AVR options, but I would encourage you to look at last year’s models, I picked up a new Denon 4300 for just a little more than your budget last year around this time. Easy way to get more for your $. Go with whatever meets your needs as in required features. One with decent room correction can be a plus too, ARC for me with Denon has been rock solid, but I don’t mess with CEC, too many variables. Soundbars can be a mixed bag (see lip synch), so I’d go the receiver route if possible and then you can expand - see ATMOS - when possible. Lots of great speaker options that sound very good at a reasonable price too.

Plus one on the Harmony, I’ve been using them since inception. While I have no problem playing remote roulette, the rest of the family would. Nice to hit a function and not worry about what remote you need next.

To go off topic, just watched the Equalizer 2, look great on my B7 and I throughly enjoyed the Atmos mix - very detailed with sounds (storm scene in particular) coming from were they would if you were next to Denzel.
alexbarbel and TravisPNW like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #34029 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

To go off topic, just watched the Equalizer 2, look great on my B7 and I throughly enjoyed the Atmos mix - very detailed with sounds (storm scene in particular) coming from were they would if you were next to Denzel.

Thanks for the tip. I actually picked up both this week and am looking forward to viewing them for the first time. The sequel had reference quality reviews on the video and sound as you mentioned.
smurraybhm likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
post #34030 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks in advance!
I bought the Onkyo TX-NR676 a few months back to go with my B7 and love it! I don't claim to be anything near an audiophile but the Onkyo TX-NR676 sounds great to my ears and that is what really matters. The CEC works well. The TV remote controls the volume on the AVR. I replaced an older Marantz with it. Jump over to the TX-NR676 forum on this site and read up. Also the reviews on Amazon and BB are mostly positive. And it's on sale right now at BB and that might just leave you enough left over for a Harmony. It has a lot of great features not usually seen on budget AVRs including 6 HDMI in ports and dedicated phono input.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #34031 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
Works for me. Also available from the Korean site.

https://www.lgservice.co.kr/search/d...currentPageNo=

Thanks for the link. Update went thru with no issues.

post #34032 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Honestly, on Netflix at least, DV makes things so dark I'd rather watch in just 4K SDR. I'm thinking about getting a shield tv or apple tv just so I can disable DV/HDR on Netflix and Amazon. My question is, if I do that, does the player properly get the 4K SDR version from the server or does it do some kind of messed up HDR to SDR conversion?
post #34033 of 35918 Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Watched all of Hill House on the latest (at the time) firmware in 4K DV and definitely wasn't distracted by any dimming...I barely remember it happening once or twice. Also, watched Narcos Mexico in rapid succession and never had an issue...just another DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post

You can't just fast forward to a dark scene. You have to sit through it and wait for it to kick in.

Even with that I've tried to replicate exact scenes where I saw it once and it didn't kick in at the same point . Still happened though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
Honestly, on Netflix at least, DV makes things so dark I'd rather watch in just 4K SDR. I'm thinking about getting a shield tv or apple tv just so I can disable DV/HDR on Netflix and Amazon. My question is, if I do that, does the player properly get the 4K SDR version from the server or does it do some kind of messed up HDR to SDR conversion?
So, just watched Roma 4k Dolby Vision through Netflix app...ZERO dimming issues and I totally expected it with the black and white nature of the film. Looked fantastic all throughout - especially for the handicapped 15Mbps bitrate...probably one of the best looking and sharpest films on Netflix...

Josh
post #34034 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
LAST EDIT TO LG 2017 OLEDs SDR/HDR Game Modes:

• V5.2 / (non-PC) HDR Game Mode is now the recommended option for X1X HDR Calibration (with Color back to 48 to counter some color washing added by DC, e.g. fixing "vampire skins")
  • SDR (All modes) recommended Gamma is back to 2.2 / MEDIUM (to counter noticeable black crush in movies)
  • V5 - EXPERIMENTAL promoted as the recommended HDR Game profile

More info -> Here

Thanks so much for these settings!
What about output on the PS4 Pro-side? Still forcing YUV420 (and why not automatic)?

Last edited by Raymon89; 12-16-2018 at 01:03 AM.
post #34035 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackmark View Post
Did either of you ever figure out how to control the volume when using the AirPods? I got them paired with no issues, it like you say, the volume doesn’t affect them, even though the Bluetooth symbol is shown when they are connected and the volume is increased or decreased using the remote, but the volume in the AirPods doesn’t change
Nope, I think that the only way that should work is to buy an external Bluetooth receiver/transmitter dongle that you connect to the back of the TV thru the 3.5mm audio port and then connect your AirPods wirelessly to the Bluetooth Transmitter/receiver.

But I think it needs to be a dongle that is both a Bluetooth Transmitter and receiver, some of those are only Bluetooth receivers, it needs to transmit the audio from the TV to your AirPods, so the transmitter part is what is important.

Those can be picked up for a cheap cost online.

Thats the only solution I can think of that should work (haven't tried it myself yet though). Since I talked with LG and they confirmed that the AirPods is not working with their LG TV´s "straight out the box".
post #34036 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks in advance!
As a Denon X4300H user, I suggest you get a Denon
Please note, at least here in Switzerland, the last years X4400 and X3400 are currently up to 50% off. For 4k reasons, I suggest you get an X3400 as a minimum. Check the Denon thread for more information about this detail.
post #34037 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
About the firmware version 05.80.10 for LG OLED C7/B7 TV´s, have you noticed any problems on our TV that was brought by this firmware update? Or is there any known problems that has been introduced due to this firmware version?

Also, is the new changes by this firmware version even worth upgrading, if ones TV works fine right now without the latest firmware update?
If I read correctly the only thing brought by this firmware is the following:
"To improve that the subtitle is not displayed when HbbTV app in on."

There is another change for HDR luminance, but that seems to only apply to the 2018 OLED´s?

I currently have the 04.70.85 firmware, so it seems I have missed the new changes for the firmware 05.80.04 as well, and maybe the 04.70.95 also, dont know if those firmwares had any important improvements or if they introduced any problems?

Also, is there any place to download old firmware versions from, the LG websites does seem to only have the latest one?
post #34038 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGadget View Post
About the firmware version 05.80.10 for LG OLED C7/B7 TV´s, have you noticed any problems on our TV that was brought by this firmware update? Or is there any known problems that has been introduced due to this firmware version?

Also, is there any place to download old firmware versions from, the LG websites does seem to only have the latest one?
None that I’ve noticed and I don’t know of anyone that does a good job with detailing what their updates bring, “various improvements” or “bug fixes” being a few of my favorites. I’ve sat on updates before, but usually cave after too many notifications it’s out there.

As for old updates, LG is quick to pull them since there is no going back once you update and remember most owners aren’t like us, so the value/hassle of letting one choose is greater then what might be best for the few that might know the how, what, why.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #34039 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
I'm annoyed enough by the issue that I'd be willing to give this a shot, but my display has been fully calibrated, and I'd be concerned that I'd lose everything, including the DV file that was created for it.

Really, though, just check out some of the content we're recommending. I'm using the internal app, myself. It's not going to just rear its ugly head right away, so let the show run. It'll happen.
I fixed the dimming issue on my C7 by buying a Harmony 650 and accessing the service menu to disable ASBL. I had all of the aforementioned issues with Ozark, Haunted Hill, etc. but do not anymore.
post #34040 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies!! Iowa Alum here, GO HAWKS!

I'm curious about the Denon selections. The X3400H is just a bit over my range @ 599.00 at amazon. Are there many differences between the 3400H and the S940H? Besides the watt/channel of course. I am replacing a Denon AVR-1712 that I have had for 6 years. Although I loved the sound that receiver put out, it wasn't every easy to setup/use/configure (for me at least).

Our room is a ~ 20'x20' and we have the 2017 55" B7. We leverage 4k from our Apple TV, BluRay, and newly built HTPC (Windows 10). My last HTPC lasted just over 8 years and needed an upgrade.

Since I already have an AppleTV, I don't think AirPlay is a "requirement" although could be a nice to have. My house is an all Apple house (easier with kids and family) but my wife really like things being "click of a button" simple.

Thanks in advance again! I've learned so much from reading all your posts!

Thanks!
IA
post #34041 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Ok... so my magic remote was dropping into a glass of chocolate milk last night. (not jack daniels)

It cleaned it the best I could and it was OK for a while but when I got up for work this morning the red light on the remote comes on with button presses but the TV doesn't respond. I'm preparing to order a replacement (AN-MR650A) but in the meantime am I SOL? Does this 65B7 panel have a power button? I don't ever recall using one and looked down both sides of the panel and don't see any buttons.

My sound bar and BR player are both LG and I do recall the TV powering on in the past when those devices are powered on but I'm not home to try it right now. Even if it does power on, can I change inputs without the remote?

Somehow I get the feeling I'm stuck waiting on a remote.

post #34042 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Ok... so my magic remote was dropping into a glass of chocolate milk last night. (not jack daniels)

It cleaned it the best I could and it was OK for a while but when I got up for work this morning the red light on the remote comes on with button presses but the TV doesn't respond. I'm preparing to order a replacement (AN-MR650A) but in the meantime am I SOL? Does this 65B7 panel have a power button? I don't ever recall using one and looked down both sides of the panel and don't see any buttons.

My sound bar and BR player are both LG and I do recall the TV powering on in the past when those devices are powered on but I'm not home to try it right now. Even if it does power on, can I change inputs without the remote?

Somehow I get the feeling I'm stuck waiting on a remote.
I hardly ever use the magic remote, except on rare occasions. Instead I use the mobile app ( available for both iOS and Android ). Search for "LG TV Plus" on their respective app stores. It's free.
Bumrush and TravisPNW like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #34043 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hardly ever use the magic remote, except on rare occasions. Instead I use the mobile app ( available for both iOS and Android ). Search for "LG TV Plus" on their respective app stores. It's free.
Excellent. I just downloaded the app and it says TV needs to be powered on and on the same wifi network... so as long as I can get it to power on I should be good to go while waiting on the new remote.

Does it have a manual power button anywhere? If not I should be able to power it on when I turn on the BR player or sound bar with their respective remotes. Hopefully anyway... I know switching inputs to those devices will power them on. Must be an LG thing.

Anyway... thanks again! Will check when I get home.

post #34044 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Check with Cleveland Plasma (forum sponsor) on 3400 prices. Might be closer to your budget. I have the 3400, love it. Has a decent amount of differences compared to the S940. 4k/60 vs 4k/30, much better Audyssey, eARC ability - to name a few.

All the Denons support airplay - which i prefer over running it through my atv, the Denon just shows up as a "speaker" on your ios device.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!! Iowa Alum here, GO HAWKS!

I'm curious about the Denon selections. The X3400H is just a bit over my range @ 599.00 at amazon. Are there many differences between the 3400H and the S940H? Besides the watt/channel of course. I am replacing a Denon AVR-1712 that I have had for 6 years. Although I loved the sound that receiver put out, it wasn't every easy to setup/use/configure (for me at least).

Our room is a ~ 20'x20' and we have the 2017 55" B7. We leverage 4k from our Apple TV, BluRay, and newly built HTPC (Windows 10). My last HTPC lasted just over 8 years and needed an upgrade.

Since I already have an AppleTV, I don't think AirPlay is a "requirement" although could be a nice to have. My house is an all Apple house (easier with kids and family) but my wife really like things being "click of a button" simple.

Thanks in advance again! I've learned so much from reading all your posts!

Thanks!
IA
post #34045 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post

Quote:
So, just watched Roma 4k Dolby Vision through Netflix app...ZERO dimming issues and I totally expected it with the black and white nature of the film. Looked fantastic all throughout - especially for the handicapped 15Mbps bitrate...probably one of the best looking and sharpest films on Netflix...
I myself watched Toma and had zero dimming. But there hardly any dark scene in it to begin with... the movie being black and white doesnt mean ASBL is prone to kick in... on the contrary the high contrast between whites and blacks pretty much ensures there is no way for ASBL to engage. On the contrary Haunting Hill has some real dark scenes that will engage ASBL.

Also its difficult to notice the dimming itself engaging as it is done in several stages. I can easily understand when it kicks in because i use subtitles and at some point i can notice the subtitles font going from pure white to a more “yellowish” color. Plus the screen gets really dark to the point where you barely make out things.

I press the home button and suddenly everything becomes bright again.

ASBL seriously sucks.
post #34046 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post

I will definitely take a look when I get back. FYI, I'm not doubting that you are seeing this, but I just don't think that we should be forced to go into a service menu to "fix" the problem.

I rummaged through LG's knowledge base, and the #1 causes for random screen dimming issues are as follows:

1) Energy Saving
2) Eco Sensor
Obviously, both should be set to OFF.

So, I'm starting to think that possibly the Eco sensor is the culprit, and turning off ABSL disables it.

From reading other posts, this behavior is somewhat random, and in the case of @lax01 and a few others, there's no problem. Statistics will show that people are 10x more likely to complain than complement, so I don't expect an avalanche of "I'm not having any problems." postings to suddenly emerge.

My first thought was to blame Netflix, but if it had something to do with metadata in the stream, it would show at the same time mark every time. But that's not the case. Essentially, it's bit of a moving target.

Regardless, a full factory reset will not delete your custom DV calibration file. Obviously, you will need to copy down the settings, or more likely your calibrator left you with spreadsheet so you can put it all back together.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #34047 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Excellent. I just downloaded the app and it says TV needs to be powered on and on the same wifi network... so as long as I can get it to power on I should be good to go while waiting on the new remote.

Does it have a manual power button anywhere? If not I should be able to power it on when I turn on the BR player or sound bar with their respective remotes. Hopefully anyway... I know switching inputs to those devices will power them on. Must be an LG thing.

Anyway... thanks again! Will check when I get home.
There is a little "joystick" button on the back ( left side of display when looking at it from the front ). Pressing the joystick's "button" is the power function.
TravisPNW likes this.

post #34048 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The AppleTV owners thread will give you more details about the product, but the short answer to your question is NO - it won't mess anything up.

If you set the AppleTV 4K to 4K/SDR and turn off Dynamic Range matching, it will only feed the SDR signal. It will not try to convert an HDR signal to SDR. Since the ATV 4K uses DV Profile 5, you might want to try Netflix in DV and see if this dimming issue goes away.

Maybe that's why I'm not seeing this problem. I only watch Netflix, Vudu, Prime and iTunes on my ATV 4K

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...hread-671.html
barth2 likes this.

post #34049 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here are some random thoughts and observations after watching my E8 the past 2 days:

1) I slid it over on the floor in front of the console to compare the picture on the same content against my 9-year-old plasma. Put on Jack Ryan 4K on the E8 and the HD version on the plasma. Watched a little of E2 about 2 to 5 minutes in. It was a conference room scene with light coming in from a window on the screen so there were some bright and shadow scenes next to each other. Flesh tones on the OLED were almost the same (actually I could not tell the difference) as the plasma which has always been perfect. At least to my eye. Shadow details looked comparable. Details in suits in close-ups looked the same. Kinda validated just how good plasma tech was and still is.

2) Cable (Cablevision here in CT) looks great. Watching football now. Motion of ball looks great. All cable channels look good. I was expecting a lot worse based on comments here. I'm not seeing any issues. Uniformity looks great at least on the field of green. I don't know if this is a good test or not.

3)Settings out of the box were good for the most part. I had to turn off some of the motion processing. Moved Blur from 10 to 2.

4) Watched Die Hard in UHD/HDR on Vudu last night. Signed up and got rental for $0.99. First time for that kind of content. Had to move blur from 10 to 2 as I was getting a good dose of soap opera effect. When I did that, it looked like a film again. Of course, you know that it isn't Christmas until Hans Gruber takes the dive off the Nakitoma Towers.

Here's my quick takeaway after just a little viewing which may make my opinion useless, but I think if you have a good plasma there may be no real reason to upgrade to OLED yet. Unless you have to have HDR or you want to go with a bigger screen.
post #34050 of 35918 Old 12-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is a little "joystick" button on the back ( left side of display when looking at it from the front ). Pressing the joystick's "button" is the power function.

Good to go. Found the joystick and I have the app working as well. Both will do fine until the new remote shows up. Thanks again!
sonoftumble likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page