2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980209Likes

post #34411 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Soon to be former C7 owner here:

Just wanted to report that my C7 had given my many hours of entertainment from August 2017 until the week before Xmas this year, when I abruptly lost all picture to the set while doing a PS4 update [at first I thought it was just the PS4 rebooting]. Red light on set, clicked when powered on/off, just no display on any input, no LG logos, nada.

Technician determined it to be a bad panel and okayed me for a full replacement set as apparently that is the path of least resistance in these matters. Since I went with a two-year plan, in what I expect is good news, a C7 replacement was not available, and I am getting a new C8 later this week

I wanted to say the C7 served me quite well over this time. I had some initials concerns in the early months over burn-in since I played basically the same video game [uncharted 4 - lots of yellow HUD and text] for several hours daily, but I happy to report that during these past 16 months I never had any issues. Broadcast viewing wasn't a concern, set was used primarily for gaming and for serving up local content through Kodi, so what little static content had timely screen savers kicking in. Kept OLED at 60 from day 1, automatic, the whole schlemiel.

Fantastic set other than this issue. Will be sorry to see it go, though I am glad it decided to give up the ghost now and not 10 months from now. I'd dropped off the threads the past 6 months and just simply enjoyed the picture, but diving back in now to see what surprises await me with a C8. Good luck and happy viewing to all other C7 owners here!
ndukechi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34412 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

The TV will max out around 400 nits with SDR content, which is not high enough to cause sub-pixel overheating. So, that is why ASBL and ABL are confined to the realm of HDR where you will typically see 600-750 peak nits
Not true. I watch chess analysis videos on YouTube, which are obviously SDR only, and the screen randomly dims and brightens because the TV is not correctly detecting motion from the commentator or the chess animation.
post #34413 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek63 View Post
How about trying an antenna to see if it still occurs? OTA signals aren't compressed and those look like compression artifacts to me.
OTA signals are also considerably compressed. Just like Cable/Sat, they start with a 1080P construct and then knock it down to 1080i/720P - and then use MPEG-2 to compress it even more. Broadcast TV sits on top of the craptastic signal pile, followed by Sat and then Cable.

The best bet for comparative picture quality testing is going to be with either a Blu-ray or one of the built-in apps such as Netflix. If the streaming or disc sources don't show any artifacts, then it will be pretty obvious that it's the cable box.

The bottom line is that EVERYTHING is compressed - even UHD/HDR10/DV/WCG Blu-rays. Without compression of some kind, 15 minutes of uncompressed 4K/HDR video would take up a terabyte of storage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...ated_bandwidth
ynnek63 and lsorensen like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34414 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
Not true. I watch chess analysis videos on YouTube, which are obviously SDR only, and the screen randomly dims and brightens because the TV is not correctly detecting motion from the commentator or the chess animation.
O.K. - I stand semi-corrected. I did state that "SDR 100 nits can cause issues which makes ASBL that more important." Anyway, let's add SDR to the official list. Obviously, if the content contains a high enough percentage of static data for a certain period of time, then ASBL is going to get triggered. ASBL monitors incoming data and has nothing to do with motion detection - as all it "see's" are one's and zero's. Motion interpolation occurs after the data has arrived to the TV.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #34415 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ASBL Update #2

First off, my apologies to ALL for being such a "Doubting Thomas" with this.

So, I finally got around to watching Episode 6 of Hill House (ATV 4K ), and sure enough ASBL kicked in.

Next, I changed the ATV 4K's video output to HDR10 - with Dynamic Range matching turned OFF ( basically forcing the ATV to only play HDR10 ) - and watched the same episode. ASBL was even more aggressive and the picture actually got darker than when watching with Dolby Vision. In both cases, when I hit the Menu button on the ATV remote, and backed out to the episode summary page, things brightened back up to normal.

Now, I still don't believe that it's a good idea to disable ASBL. The better option IMO, is to call this into LG support and make a fuss. I'm sure this algorithm, or timer, or whatever is causing the TV's protection system to trigger prematurely can be corrected with firmware.

I happen to know one of LG's top engineers, and I will be giving him a call.

Peace, love and Happy New Year!
DaveC56, meles, Ph8te and 8 others like this.

post #34416 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by C*Tedesco View Post
Well I have NO idea if this is even related to the latest update. However, since then, the Google Play Movies app will now play 4K HDR movies! I'm hoping somebody can tell me I'm crazy, because just last week this was NOT the case. The Google App on my LG has not been updated, so not really sure what's going on.

However I tested Logan and Atomic blonde, both come up HDR and 4K.
I swear I got this to work once on the YouTube app, but have not been able to replicate since. The thumbnails will show the 4K badge, but playback has since been limited to 480 HDR or maybe 1080p.

Eagerly awaiting the official app update to bring 4K support, they mentioned it in October. Consistency is currently terrible across multiple devices, Xbox One X, Roku Ultra, the TV itself.

Boo.
post #34417 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello, recently got a ps4, not a hardcore user but I can't seem to find any settings for sdr and hdr for the ps4 on this TV. Does anyone have a link or suggestions on settings for gaming that you can point me to? Thank you! BTW, first game I will b playing is in hdr so those settings would be preferred as well. Thanks
post #34418 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleon621 View Post
I am having the same issues some of you are describing. My LG C7 (after the update) continues to turn on a minute after I turn it off. I had to turn off the HDMI-CEC so that it would stop turning on but now all my HDMI-CEC devices aren't in sync. Pretty annoying...I will try to factory reset today and see if that fixes the issue.
Did a factory reset work?
post #34419 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

So, I finally got around to watching Episode 6 of Hill House (ATV 4K ), and sure enough ASBL kicked in.

Next, I changed the ATV 4K's video output to HDR10 - with Dynamic Range matching turned OFF ( basically forcing the ATV to only play HDR10 ) - and watched the same episode. ASBL was even more aggressive and the picture actually got darker than when watching with Dolby Vision. In both cases, when I hit the Menu button on the ATV remote, and backed out to the episode summary page, things brightened back up to normal.

Now, I still don't believe that it's a good idea to disable ASBL. The better option IMO, is to call this into LG support and make a fuss. I'm sure this algorithm, or timer, or whatever is causing the TV's protection system to trigger prematurely can be corrected with firmware.

Would you also be kind enough to bring up the dim Netflix DV in WebOS pretty please?!
post #34420 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
IMHO, disabling ASBL is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Disabling ASBL will NOT brighten content, it will simply stop the TV from going into self-protection mode caused by what it interprets to be a large area of static content in the picture. ASBL doesn't care if the content is dim or bright. With ASBL disabled, you run the risk of damaging the panel when the content has normal brightness.

I'm taking a guess that you watch Netflix using the built-in app. I ran a comparison last week between an AppleTV 4K and the built-in app running the same Netflix content. The AppleTV 4K's "version" was considerably brighter. I recommend going in that direction rather than disabling ASBL. It's a lot cheaper to get an AppleTV 4K than to replace a damaged panel.

Yeah I’m not going to mess with a good thing. I’m perrrctly happy with the picture quality. Brighter on Apple TV? With good black levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #34421 of 35835 Old 01-01-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Looks like the LG mount is out of stock everywhere it’s not being priced at nosebleed levels. The alternative I got from monoprice doesn’t fit...ends up with hardware showing at the bottom.

Any recommendations for third party wall mount stands?
post #34422 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Yeah, this has occurred for me on Hill House and Sabrina. I've also seen it more recently in Birdbox, and it seems to happen once per episode in this new season of Series of Unfortunate Events. I don't know if that info is helpful to pass along to LG, but it's unfortunate (no pun intended) as these shows are being used to promote the OLED line but are behaving poorly with the current algorithm. My s/o notices this each time it happens, and they have no interest in video at all, it's just very apparent and disruptive. Outside of these titles I've really only noticed it on the final Harry Potter film, during the long night sequence, interrupted by some specular fire details that caused the noticeable brightness ramp-up.
sonoftumble likes this.

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
post #34423 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Yeah I’m not going to mess with a good thing. I’m perrrctly happy with the picture quality. Brighter on Apple TV? With good black levels?

There's a difference with luminance output using an external Dolby Vision capable playback device such as the AppleTV 4K - (in which the metadata is transported over HDMI) - vs. the same metadata using a built-in app. It may have something to do with how the delivery system handles the White Balance settings. The IRE adjustments in my settings target the lower to lower-mid luminance ranges - which is where the "sunglasses" effect with Cinema (User) originates. For some reason, the built-in apps do not seem to take to it - even though the settings are clearly in place. This will also cause the gamma to be all over the map instead of a flat 2.2.

Blacks are still perfectly black as there is no adjustment for IRE level 0. Shadow details are much improved because when gamma is under control, the TV will come out of black much nicer. I've posted the attached pics before. You can clearly see the difference with the exact same content. Even though the ATV version is more illuminated, the blacks actually look better vs. the built-in app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Built-in-Netflix.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	2504326   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATV4K-Netflix.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	2504328  

Last edited by sonoftumble; 01-02-2019 at 07:35 AM.
post #34424 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
There's a difference with luminance output using an external Dolby Vision capable playback device such as the AppleTV 4K - (in which the metadata is transported over HDMI) - vs. the same metadata using a built-in app. It may have something to do with how the delivery system handles the White Balance settings. The IRE adjustments in my settings target the lower to lower-mid luminance ranges - which is where the "sunglasses" effect with Cinema (User) originates. For some reason, the built-in apps do not seem to take to it - even though the settings are clearly in place. This will also cause the gamma to be all over the map instead of a flat 2.2.

Blacks are still perfectly black as there is no adjustment for IRE level 0. Shadow details are much improved because when gamma is under control, the TV will come out of black much nicer. I've posted the attached pics before. You can clearly see the difference with the exact same content. Even though the ATV version is more illuminated, the blacks actually look better vs. the built-in app.

Watch the opening credits to Mute on Netflix and you'll see the blacks aren't quite 0 on the Apple TV 4k for some content (they are if you watch the HDR10 version).

Although on the internal app those credits are currently even more screwed up than Apple TV now, but previously it worked perfectly on the internal app...
sonoftumble likes this.
post #34425 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Looks like the LG mount is out of stock everywhere it’s not being priced at nosebleed levels. The alternative I got from monoprice doesn’t fit...ends up with hardware showing at the bottom.

These TV's are so light compared to sets in the past. Buy a standard universal flat mount, you should be able to position the arms without them showing out the bottom if you mount the set right, you may have to drill another hole in the arm itself, but it can be done. Worst case, hack saw off what shows under the TV.
post #34426 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:

Using an old monoprice mount myself. There are tons of mounts posted about in previous posts though the only thing to be aware of is that it’s a slightly different mount position since the mounting holes are at the “bottom” of the TV.
post #34427 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
These TV's are so light compared to sets in the past. Buy a standard universal flat mount, you should be able to position the arms without them showing out the bottom if you mount the set right, you may have to drill another hole in the arm itself, but it can be done. Worst case, hack saw off what shows under the TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Using an old monoprice mount myself. There are tons of mounts posted about in previous posts though the only thing to be aware of is that it’s a slightly different mount position since the mounting holes are at the “bottom” of the TV.
Yeah, the holes on the TV being so low mean that the TWO spare mounts I have at the house don't work (show below bottom of TV).

I guess I could saw off the bottom of one or try drilling additional holes to give me more range.
post #34428 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

Wow! Quite a difference! What about posterization and banding? Any negative effects in that department in regards to built in app versus aptv?

post #34429 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

The pic of the bult-in app has the menu controls activated that put a dark overlay on the whole screen.

LG OLED 55 B7v | LG SK10Y Soundbar | Samsung 55KS8000 | LG Plasma 50PZ550 | i1D3 OEM | Calman Enthusiast
post #34430 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Yeah, the holes on the TV being so low mean that the TWO spare mounts I have at the house don't work (show below bottom of TV).

I guess I could saw off the bottom of one or try drilling additional holes to give me more range.
I sawed off the bottom of my old mount to use on the LG. Steel was pretty thick. Had to use a cut off grinder.
nathan_h likes this.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #34431 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner54 View Post
Has anyone been able to fix their issues of TV turning itself on and off after applying latest update? 5.08.15 I believe. I heard suggestions given out but never heard if that helped people out. Lol I'm afraid to update, I'm on 4.71.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation66 View Post
I did an internet search, and there are a number of people posting about that problem. But, so far, I haven't seen any solutions to it. Mine has turned itself back on twice since I updated. I tried one solution that was posted here, but it didn't work. (That's going into General/Simplink (HDMI-CEC)/ and leaving General ON, While turning Auto Power Sync OFF). Hopefully, somebody will come up with a proper solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Turn off CEC power control...that is the only fix I am aware of.
I fixed this problem by turning off the "Quick Start +" in the general settings option. ARC and CEC still works just fine once off for me.
euckersw likes this.

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, NHT atmos minis, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Minidsp DDRC-88BM, Rotel RMB1077, LG OLED B7P
post #34432 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Wow! Quite a difference! What about posterization and banding? Any negative effects in that department in regards to built in app versus aptv?

There's no negative effects. The AppleTV 4K can/will push the full 17.82Gb bandwidth as necessary. No posterization or banding. The big benefit is access to the iTunes movie library, and of course there's Prime, Vudu and Netflix among other content sources.
meles and zombie.modernist like this.

post #34433 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobotoPlus View Post
The pic of the bult-in app has the menu controls activated that put a dark overlay on the whole screen.
I know exactly what you are referring to, and I waited for that dark overlay effect to go away before I took the pic. It doesn't stay that way for more than about 5-10 seconds. I took another picture without pausing, but it was out of focus so I decided to go with the posted example. It is a true representation of how much darker the built-in app's images are.

post #34434 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There's no negative effects. The AppleTV 4K can/will push the full 17.82Gb bandwidth as necessary. No posterization or banding. The big benefit is access to the iTunes movie library, and of course there's Prime, Vudu and Netflix among other content sources.

Okay. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

sonoftumble likes this.
post #34435 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I sawed off the bottom of my old mount to use on the LG. Steel was pretty thick. Had to use a cut off grinder.
Yeah my spare mounts are from the Plasma era. They could probably support ten current TV's weight.

It would be cheaper to buy a new Monoprice mount than a tool to cut them, I suspect, if I was confident in the measurements. Unfortunately, Monoprice is bad about including dimensions info online or in their manuals about their mounts, from what I can see on their website.
post #34436 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a 65" E7. Would anyone know what ire the two point white balance are, 30/80 or 30/100?
post #34437 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:

Sanus ($85) works like a champ - if you've got a Costco nearby you can get it there or order on-line. I'm using this same mount on both my LGs and it will handle the weight of that 77" coming someday.

SANUS Simplicity 37"- 90" Tilting TV Mount
nathan_h likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #34438 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGJr View Post
I have a 65" E7. Would anyone know what ire the two point white balance are, 30/80 or 30/100?
The actual output range from the TV is 0-50 low/offset and 50-100 high/gain. Most of the Calman workflows cherry pick the IRE at 30 & 80 in order to get a kind of a mid-range reading. You can change it by customizing the page.

Getting the 2 point perfect sets up much smoother/easier adjusting for the 20 point.
nathan_h likes this.

post #34439 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I'm very happy with my Sanus VLT16. Very shallow but with the tilt option (that I've never used so I should've saved a few bucks and just gotten the fixed mount). Sanus's website has an interactive tool that makes it easy to browse the appropriate mounts. You just enter the tv model number and select the mount options or features you want.
nathan_h likes this.
post #34440 of 35835 Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Yeah my spare mounts are from the Plasma era. They could probably support ten current TV's weight.

It would be cheaper to buy a new Monoprice mount than a tool to cut them, I suspect, if I was confident in the measurements. Unfortunately, Monoprice is bad about including dimensions info online or in their manuals about their mounts, from what I can see on their website.
My old Sony 52 inch weighed a little more than 100 pounds. The mount was made to handle 150 pounds. That’s why the steel was so thick. Hated to trash it. I had 3 2 x 6’s mounted behind the drywall where the TV was to go when I had my 16 x 24 addition built. The weight was so great that the mount put a small dent in the drywall on the bottom part of the mount.
nathan_h likes this.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page