2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980490Likes

post #34561 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
This is actually a big misconception of a lot of people on this forum. It’s not about the amount of hours watching a certain app or input it’s more how frequently it is. There are people who only watch 1-2 hours a day in the weekend when their favourite sport program is up and still get a burn-in. You should also remember that the inbuilt YouTube app of LG haves an screensaver which kicks in after 1 minute of inactivity therefore static images never happen to be long on the screen. Yet it still happen to burn in (especially with YouTube, have read a lot of people who had this).
There are people who buy OLED TVs and only watch 1-2 hours of sports programming per week on them? Seems like a good match of consumer and product.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34562 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Quote:
This is actually a big misconception of a lot of people on this forum. It’s not about the amount of hours watching a certain app or input it’s more how frequently it is. There are people who only watch 1-2 hours a day in the weekend when their favourite sport program is up and still get a burn-in. You should also remember that the inbuilt YouTube app of LG haves an screensaver which kicks in after 1 minute of inactivity therefore static images never happen to be long on the screen. Yet it still happen to burn in (especially with YouTube, have read a lot of people who had this).
There are people who buy OLED TVs and only watch 1-2 hours of sports programming per week on them? Seems like a good match of consumer and product.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
A tv is not only used for watching movies. And most of the time sport events tents to happen in the weekend you know......
post #34563 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Quote:

Again, that would be outside of normal use (which was point). Maybe it’s more prevalent in your region, but I haven’t seen many reports in this owners thread. Of course we tend to vary content around this forum so we tend to be less likely to see some of these issues. To be honest I think I have less than 10 hours total viewing YouTube (probably less than 5) on my TV.
You mean your normal use. Don’t make it a general assumption. Because there are a lot of people nowadays who like to watch YouTube videos on their tv instead of cable tv or movies. You should also not forget that the images that are shown on your tv are just images. A tv don’t recognise the difference between a Netflix movie or something from YouTube. They are in fact just recorded videos. Therefore the outcome don’t differ. If we are talking about static images from news channels it is different. But we are not.
dwaleke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34564 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6582 Post(s)
Liked: 6367
Quote:
You mean your normal use. Don’t make it a general assumption. Because there are a lot of people nowadays who like to watch YouTube videos on their tv instead of cable tv or movies. You should also not forget that the images that are shown on your tv are just images. A tv don’t recognise the difference between a Netflix movie or something from YouTube. They are in fact just recorded videos. Therefore the outcome don’t differ. If we are talking about static images from news channels it is different. But we are not.

And for those people who watch YouTube a lot I would give the same advice I give those who use their TVs as a PC monitor. Make sure you vary content. Again, in this forum this is an outlier of a case. I understand your frustrated, but if this was more of an issue “here”, then we would see many more posts. YouTube has many static menus in their interface and people continually keeping them up would be like having a static toolbar or image from a game or PC. To add if the outcome didn’t differ from “NetFlix” to YouTube usage we’d see a lot more reports. I’m not dismissing what happened to your set, all I am saying that it has not come up a lot here (thus an outlier).
post #34565 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

And for those people who watch YouTube a lot I would give the same advice I give those who use their TVs as a PC monitor. Make sure you vary content. Again, in this forum this is an outlier of a case. I understand your frustrated, but if this was more of an issue “here”, then we would see many more posts. YouTube has many static menus in their interface and people continually keeping them up would be like having a static toolbar or image from a game or PC. To add if the outcome didn’t differ from “NetFlix” to YouTube usage we’d see a lot more reports. I’m not dismissing what happened to your set, all I am saying that it has not come up a lot here (thus an outlier).
This is exactly what I’m saying before. The static images on YouTube are only visible for a couple of seconds. Just when you are switching a video. There is also an in build screensaver which kicks in. The comparison with a pc screen is therefore not a right one. As I said before the miss assumption that burn-in happens because of long visibile static images is completely wrong. Yes it does happen but there are more variables than only those circumstances. You should also remember that maybe 00000000001% of the buyers of an oled tv visit this forum and thread.
dwaleke likes this.
post #34566 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
You should also remember that maybe 00000000001% of the buyers of an oled tv visit this forum and thread.
And the vast majority of this arbitrary percentage are here to gripe rather than praise. Happy customers tend not to make their way to such places to proclaim their satisfaction with a product. Such is the way of the internet.
Ph8te, Ricker62 and sonoftumble like this.
post #34567 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
This is exactly what I’m saying before. The static images on YouTube are only visible for a couple of seconds. Just when you are switching a video. There is also an in build screensaver which kicks in. The comparison with a pc screen is therefore not a right one. As I said before the miss assumption that burn-in happens because of long visibile static images is completely wrong. Yes it does happen but there are more variables than only those circumstances. You should also remember that maybe 00000000001% of the buyers of an oled tv visit this forum and thread.
Well, crap. I just looked, and sure enough that yellow search button has burned into my display. I do watch a lot of YouTube, but that's just it, I watch videos, not the video selection screen. But since that bright yellow button is always in the same place when scrolling to find the next thing to watch, it's worn out those sub-pixels more than the rest of the screen.
post #34568 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, many here know repetitive static images can also cause BI or persistent IR. I’m going to stop here and just let you rant on however....
post #34569 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, many here know repetitive static images can also cause BI or persistent IR. I’m going to stop here and just let you rant on however....
You just don’t make any kind of sense. Good for you thought it’s better to stay ignorant.
dwaleke likes this.
post #34570 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injector View Post
Quote:
Well, crap. I just looked, and sure enough that yellow search button has burned into my display. I do watch a lot of YouTube, but that's just it, I watch videos, not the video selection screen. But since that bright yellow button is always in the same place when scrolling to find the next thing to watch, it's worn out those sub-pixels more than the rest of the screen.
What are you going to do about it? Let it like that or trying to contact LG about it as well?
post #34571 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
What are you going to do about it? Let it like that or trying to contact LG about it as well?
I'll leave it. I'll probably file a bug report with Google on the YouTube app, to see if they'll consider hiding the buttons, or making them translucent. And just pay more attention to the amount of time I'm scrolling.

I had a circle from the PS3's clock burned into the upper right of my plasma. It happens. Just part of anything that makes light, it'll gradually make less light the longer it's on. If I can keep that yellow button from spending too much time on the screen, the rest of the pixels will average in over time.
post #34572 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injector View Post
Quote:
I'll leave it. I'll probably file a bug report with Google on the YouTube app, to see if they'll consider hiding the buttons, or making them translucent. And just pay more attention to the amount of time I'm scrolling.

I had a circle from the PS3's clock burned into the upper right of my plasma. It happens. Just part of anything that makes light, it'll gradually make less light the longer it's on. If I can keep that yellow button from spending too much time on the screen, the rest of the pixels will average in over time.
The rest will average over time as well so it will stay visible. The thing is ones you’ve spotted it you will notice it on regular content. But yeah it’s something that’s part of the oled technology so it would probably happen on a new panel as well because of that bright yellow or red pixels flaw. But I’m going to replace this panel just because it's a defect that they have acknowledged and they are obligated to fix it.

Last edited by Achillias; 01-09-2019 at 11:48 AM.
post #34573 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The rest will average over time as well so it will stay visible.
OLED aging is logarithmic, not linear. Pixels lose more brightness quickly at first, and less over time. So it's possible for less used pixels to catch up with prematurely aged ones. (Provided that the content that caused the early aging isn't continued.)
post #34574 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
For a DIY "universal remote" system there only a few intelligent options these days. One option is Harmony, which offers a candy-bar physical button style remote, and there is also Simple Control which will works with an iPhone or iPad. iOS ONLY.
Thank you sir!!!!! Much appreciated. I think I'm leaning toward a 2080 Yamaha receiver now for future expansion beyond my 5.1 system.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #34575 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Another burn-in case. Always used the LG C7 normally. The YouTube yellow search button inside the app is now permanently visible on the screen. Also the YouTube logo on the left is slowly becoming more visible. Luckily LG OLED is actually very easy going in Europe with swapping defective burn-in pannels for new ones. Friday my panel is going to get replaced under warranty by LG.

Buts it’s very concerning that OLED seems to be not fit on the long term mostly when it’s about burn-ins.
If you left that search bar on screen for hours at a time then of course you’ll see burn in.

Also, the higher the OLED Light, the greater the chance of burn in.

Of course the TV has a built-in screensaver which should kick-in in a few minutes. So do many streaming boxes such as Apple TV.
post #34576 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm looking to get some advice as to what to do with my panel. I've had my B7A for about 15 months, and am therefore out of my factory warranty period. A while back I noticed that my screen seemed to be split in half down the middle, with the left side a lighter shade than the right. I've tried factory resetting the panel more than once and ran the pixel refresher twice, but the issue won't go away. It isn't as bad as some I've seen with this problem, but it is driving me crazy that I have this on a TV that I spent so much on.

I've read that others with this issue have had their panel replaced by LG, but they were still under warranty. I didn't use a credit card to purchase the set, so I don't have any protection on that front. I did purchase a Square Trade extended warranty from Costco, but reading the conditions they don't seem to cover display uniformity issues. Does anyone here have any experience with making a claim with ST for anything similar? This isn't burn in, but I'm not sure if they would consider this an actionable defect.

Is it still worth contacting LG to see if they will fix it? I'm guessing I will have to pay since I'm out of warranty, but a panel replacement seems like it would cost a significant portion of buying a new TV.

I've attached some photos I took of my panel.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #34577 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
And the vast majority of this arbitrary percentage are here to gripe rather than praise. Happy customers tend not to make their way to such places to proclaim their satisfaction with a product. Such is the way of the internet.
CORRECT - While these forums are different research has shown that 96.3% of folks who post something about a specific product are COMPLAINING regardless of what the product is. These forums are different and we share great knowledge and experiences but if you review recent posts you will find that a large percentage are talking about the same issue endless and the top of the list is IR.

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #34578 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by doshortell View Post
I'm looking to get some advice as to what to do with my panel. I've had my B7A for about 15 months, and am therefore out of my factory warranty period. A while back I noticed that my screen seemed to be split in half down the middle, with the left side a lighter shade than the right. I've tried factory resetting the panel more than once and ran the pixel refresher twice, but the issue won't go away. It isn't as bad as some I've seen with this problem, but it is driving me crazy that I have this on a TV that I spent so much on.

I've read that others with this issue have had their panel replaced by LG, but they were still under warranty. I didn't use a credit card to purchase the set, so I don't have any protection on that front. I did purchase a Square Trade extended warranty from Costco, but reading the conditions they don't seem to cover display uniformity issues. Does anyone here have any experience with making a claim with ST for anything similar? This isn't burn in, but I'm not sure if they would consider this an actionable defect.

Is it still worth contacting LG to see if they will fix it? I'm guessing I will have to pay since I'm out of warranty, but a panel replacement seems like it would cost a significant portion of buying a new TV.

I've attached some photos I took of my panel.
I had the same issue, except my picture was darker on the left half of the screen. LG replaced my panel under warranty twice, and the last time was a keeper. I would call LG first and explain there are others on this forum that have had the same issue and their panels were replaced. I understand you are out of warranty but the worst thing they can do is say no. If LG declines call Square Trade and explain that you have a defective screen which is clearly defined by a vertical line down the middle of the screen. Give it a try, once again the worst they can do is deny the claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	2508418  
Ph8te, Ricker62 and doshortell like this.

Last edited by rjih; 01-09-2019 at 04:32 PM.
post #34579 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjih View Post
I had the same issue, except my picture was darker on the left half of the screen. LG replaced my panel under warranty twice, and the last time was a keeper. I would call LG first and explain there are others on this forum that have had the same issue and their panels were replaced. I understand you are out of warranty but the worst thing they can do is say no. If LG declines call Square Trade and explain that you have a defective screen which is clearly defined by a vertical line down the middle of the screen. Give it a try, once again the worst they can do is deny the claim.
Thank you!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #34580 of 36590 Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Another burn-in case. Always used the LG C7 normally. The YouTube yellow search button inside the app is now permanently visible on the screen. Also the YouTube logo on the left is slowly becoming more visible. Luckily LG OLED is actually very easy going in Europe with swapping defective burn-in pannels for new ones. Friday my panel is going to get replaced under warranty by LG.

Buts it’s very concerning that OLED seems to be not fit on the long term mostly when it’s about burn-ins.
I read on another forum that some LG OLEDS exhibit a bug where the automatic compensation cycle does not run. That will cause burn-in to be much quicker.

Quote:
Also does oled lights affects the possibility on burn-ins or not? Because most people are saying it’s not.
Having OLED Light set higher will accelerate burn-in.

Quote:
This is incorrect. Each sub-pixel has a certain amount of life and will get dimmer the more it is used. Burn-in is cumulative wear on each sub-pixel.

Anecdotal, but I watch a fair bit of youtube (about 1h per day, 2-3h sometimes) and have no burn-in. I do mix up my viewing a lot (by preference) and I'm careful with anything with static images.

My HTPC has bright white filenames which I get anxious about leaving on for too long, but it does have a dimming screensaver after a couple of minutes.

Some people were unlucky to get a faulty unit, but that doesn't mean there is an inherent problem with OLED tech. People who are worried should check out the long-term rtings burn-in test. The burn-in is not that bad considering those TVs are running 20h per day.

I'm super happy with my OLED - the picture quality is fantastic and I marvel at it every single day. LCD is 100% dead to me.

I have read the rtings burn-in test and am careful about what I leave on the screen, and I don't worry about burn-in.

I think the vocal people seeing burn-in are the 1% unlucky people with a faulty TV, or people (and their kids!) who aren't careful with what static images they leave on the screen, but I do sympathize with their concerns - especially if they live in a place with weak consumer laws like the US.

Edit: I've had my TV for about 15 months.
sonoftumble likes this.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.

Last edited by noobtv; 01-09-2019 at 08:05 PM.
post #34581 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
Quote:

If you left that search bar on screen for hours at a time then of course you’ll see burn in.

Also, the higher the OLED Light, the greater the chance of burn in.

Of course the TV has a built-in screensaver which should kick-in in a few minutes. So do many streaming boxes such as Apple TV.
Do people not read? I’ve said that it is impossible to let the YouTube app on for hours without inactivity. The most it can get is 60 seconds. So that’s not possible and not the case. And yet it still happens by many.
post #34582 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Quote:

I read on another forum that some LG OLEDS exhibit a bug where the automatic compensation cycle does not run. That will cause burn-in to be much quicker.

Quote:
Also does oled lights affects the possibility on burn-ins or not? Because most people are saying it’s not.
Having OLED Light set higher will accelerate burn-in.

Quote:
This is incorrect. Each sub-pixel has a certain amount of life and will get dimmer the more it is used. Burn-in is cumulative wear on each sub-pixel.

Anecdotal, but I watch a fair bit of youtube (about 1h per day, 2-3h sometimes) and have no burn-in. I do mix up my viewing a lot (by preference) and I'm careful with anything with static images.

My HTPC has bright white filenames which I get anxious about leaving on for too long, but it does have a dimming screensaver after a couple of minutes.

Some people were unlucky to get a faulty unit, but that doesn't mean there is an inherent problem with OLED tech. People who are worried should check out the long-term rtings burn-in test. The burn-in is not that bad considering those TVs are running 20h per day.

I'm super happy with my OLED - the picture quality is fantastic and I marvel at it every single day. LCD is 100% dead to me.

I have read the rtings burn-in test and am careful about what I leave on the screen, and I don't worry about burn-in.

I think the vocal people seeing burn-in are the 1% unlucky people with a faulty TV, or people (and their kids!) who aren't careful with what static images they leave on the screen, but I do sympathize with their concerns - especially if they live in a place with weak consumer laws like the US.

Edit: I've had my TV for about 15 months.
I’m reading this on my mobile so quoting different parts of your arguments is a bit hard to do. But the part where you are saying that burn-in is a cumulative pixel aging process is not true. Some pixels will degrade much faster than others. There is no standard guideline which actually knows how it works. Only LG does, everything is still mysterious. Non of the actual professionals or reviewers do know how it works. It’s only LG and their engineers. Some are saying it depends on how long the static images are displays but that’s outdated information. It’s more variable than that. If you want to read something more about it I would say visit AVForums. There is a topic about this with more detailed information.
post #34583 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Interesting video from RTINGS about OLED burn-in.

post #34584 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a question about multiview (i.e. the split screen via hdmi)

It won't work with an HDR source from some boxes but is OK on others. Is there a way of switching off HDR temporarily? I tried HDMI Ultra HD Deep colour, but it just switched itself back on again straight away.

Anyone got any ideas? I use this function a lot and it's really bugging me

(and yes I am the OP of this thread - no need to bow)
post #34585 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Before replacement panel my previous would take multiple minutes (Youtube for instance) of static to show any image retention at all. This panel will do it in seconds, literally seconds and seen on content with varying screen changes after the fact until it wipes. Tech here with live with Lg said that was over excessive and ordered a new panel. Note he was here for a banding issue, yet didn't even get to that and saw image retention as way to aggressive and deemed it faulty.

New panel is in and will be installed soon. Crossing fingers this panel isn't bad with banding that can be seen in content. Also hope the excessive and it was excessive image retention isn't as apparent like this one was in seconds.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Datagg; 01-10-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #34586 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
All internet apps failing to work

Hi all, I'm having some internet connectivity issues with one of my B7A panels. When I try to run Netflix, Hulu, Prime, YouTube, etc. the app fails to load streaming content properly from the net. The panel is connected via ethernet to a router and then to a Comcast modem. I re-set the router and modem: didn't help. This B7A has the latest firmware (05.80.15) and all the apps tested are using their most recent version. I have an identical B7A panel upstairs, NOT running the most recent firmware and it works fine.

Netflix: app loads fine and all preview images load, but when choosing something to watch it fails and goes to the try again/details screen. In Details it shows that all internet connections are fine.

Prime: app totally fails to load, completely black screen.

Hulu: app loads fine and preview images load, but nothing will stream.

YouTube: app loads fine, I can search fine, but when choosing something to stream it fails and goes back to the YouTube default screen.

Panel is connected to a power conditioner and surge suppressor.

I unplugged the panel and will test again when I get home today. Any thoughts? If it still doesn't work I'll reset to factory and see if it behaves then. Anyone run into this problem?

Last edited by lentiman; 01-10-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #34587 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamadamadam View Post
I have a question about multiview (i.e. the split screen via hdmi)

It won't work with an HDR source from some boxes but is OK on others. Is there a way of switching off HDR temporarily? I tried HDMI Ultra HD Deep colour, but it just switched itself back on again straight away.

Anyone got any ideas? I use this function a lot and it's really bugging me

(and yes I am the OP of this thread - no need to bow)
Maybe try turning off HDR on the device itself.
post #34588 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
Maybe try turning off HDR on the device itself.
I would if I could. It doesn't have an off switch for the HDR. I'd bin it but it has some unique functionality I can't do without.
post #34589 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
hi guys, do the sonoftumble latest settings still apply for the best image possible?
post #34590 of 36590 Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaomconde View Post
hi guys, do the sonoftumble latest settings still apply for the best image possible?

Best image possible is a subjective thing. Test them out, if you like them, keep them, if not reset and try some new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page