2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980167Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34651 of 35713 Old 01-15-2019, 11:59 PM
Member
 
ynnek63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboo View Post
Hello folks

Got my C7 last year - and all generally pretty splendid so far!

But I just watched 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - The Sword of Destiny' on the built in Netflix app and it did not display in the advertised Dolby Vision format.
I have a paid up Premium Netflix account, so I qualify for all the bells and whistles; And the Netflix app is the latest version. And my TV was receiving a strong and stable internet connection of over 60Mbps.
I used the LG mobile app to get some info up on screen and it was playing in UHD (2160), but without any kind of HDR let alone Dolby Vision.

I switched to the Netflix app on my Panasonic 4k Bluray player and straight away the Dolby Vision alert popped up in the top right of the screen and the movie played in its full glory.

Any idea why it would not play in the advertised format through the Netflix app on my lovely LG C7??

Thanks
NO DV here either on my B7 with the LG app. And on my Nvidia Sheild and Roku, HDR is not triggered either even though HDR is listed in the info. I also noticed this same behavior with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Try that title and see if it works.
ynnek63 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34652 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,872
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek63 View Post
NO DV here either on my B7 with the LG app. And on my Nvidia Sheild and Roku, HDR is not triggered either even though HDR is listed in the info. I also noticed this same behavior with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Try that title and see if it works.


Guardians (much like most movies on NetFlix) is not available in DV. It is available in DV on Vudu and I believe disc (been awhile since I watched the disc).
Ph8te is offline  
post #34653 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,479
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
And I never understood why Microsoft and Sony never fixed this !!!
As far as I understood it, netflix wrong the app. Netflix seems to claim Microsoft and Sony want it to work this way, but prime on the Xbox does not have this problem.

Seems to just be a case of netflix having incompetent developers working on some of their apps.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34654 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,000
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Does anyone use the Chromecast idle on this display? I'm guessing it's a bad idea but curious as to what others have seen. I love the beauty of the images and the clock and weather info but was wondering if it would be really bad for the OLED.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #34655 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 AM
Member
 
ynnek63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Guardians (much like most movies on NetFlix) is not available in DV. It is available in DV on Vudu and I believe disc (been awhile since I watched the disc).
Somebody should probably tell Netfix then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190116_115826.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	2511590  
Ph8te likes this.
ynnek63 is offline  
post #34656 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,872
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek63 View Post
Somebody should probably tell Netfix then.


Yeah, just noticed that (it was not that way before). I’m guessing someone goofed and out the wrong tag on it. Outside movies usually don’t get HDR of any flavor on NetFlix (originals can and do). Personally I don’t watch movies like that on NetFlix so no big deal to me. Hopefully someone does reach out to CS so it can stop confusing folks.
ynnek63 and zombie.modernist like this.
Ph8te is offline  
post #34657 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,872
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Does anyone use the Chromecast idle on this display? I'm guessing it's a bad idea but curious as to what others have seen. I love the beauty of the images and the clock and weather info but was wondering if it would be really bad for the OLED.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It does age your TV, so there is that. If left unattended and it freezes you could get persistent IR. Personally if I am not using the TV I have it off.
smurraybhm likes this.
Ph8te is offline  
post #34658 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Yeah, just noticed that (it was not that way before). I’m guessing someone goofed and out the wrong tag on it. Outside movies usually don’t get HDR of any flavor on NetFlix (originals can and do). Personally I don’t watch movies like that on NetFlix so no big deal to me. Hopefully someone does reach out to CS so it can stop confusing folks.
I really don't understand why they don't get 4K DV copies of outside films though, especially when you have to pay more to access that narrow 4K library they have. Amazon has done much better, with a lot of recent films, notably the A24 catalog being in 4KHDR. The compression on both of them are nowhere near as good as iTunes rentals, but it's still nice to have the option to stream something in a higher bandwidth, higher res, HDR version. I guess it's better than Hulu who is spending the time an money to master shows in 4K HDR without any way to display them. After around a year of getting this set and jumping into 4K HDR, I feel like the biggest issue isn't that content doesn't exist, but that it's still not readily available even when the gear and infrastructure is there.

LG OLED55B7A | Apple TV 4K | Sony UBP-X700
Pioneer Sx-750 | TEC TC-7220 | Kenwood VR 507 | ADS 500 Acoustic Suspension Speakers
Denon DL-110 | Technics SL-1700
zombie.modernist is offline  
post #34659 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 18,872
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie.modernist View Post
I really don't understand why they don't get 4K DV copies of outside films though, especially when you have to pay more to access that narrow 4K library they have. Amazon has done much better, with a lot of recent films, notably the A24 catalog being in 4KHDR. The compression on both of them are nowhere near as good as iTunes rentals, but it's still nice to have the option to stream something in a higher bandwidth, higher res, HDR version. I guess it's better than Hulu who is spending the time an money to master shows in 4K HDR without any way to display them. After around a year of getting this set and jumping into 4K HDR, I feel like the biggest issue isn't that content doesn't exist, but that it's still not readily available even when the gear and infrastructure is there.


I’m guessing contract and content holders don’t want to give them the rights (IMO). NetFlix is focusing on “original content” so the remainder is “just there”. I think long term their plan works better since they own the rights instead of paying higher and higher amounts for content they don’t own.

NetFlix easily trumps Amazon however as far as HDR content goes. If Amazons interface were better I wouldn’t mind it so much, but finding the movies (ones that are from outside studios) is a PIA. I’m happy that they are adding more, but IMO I still prefer NetFlix. Hulu just boggles my mind. They had it, then removed it and now don’t release anything in it. I’d love to watch Handmaids Tale in DV since it was mastered that way. Unfortunately Hulu dropped the ball and there are no announcements that they’ll be offering it soon (Id subscribe for month or two at least to watch the couple of shows I’m interested in if they had it).
Ph8te is offline  
post #34660 of 35713 Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,809
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6303 Post(s)
Liked: 6309
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Does anyone use the Chromecast idle on this display? I'm guessing it's a bad idea but curious as to what others have seen. I love the beauty of the images and the clock and weather info but was wondering if it would be really bad for the OLED.
For short periods of time why not, continual, not sure about that.......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #34661 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
I assume if you bought from VE you used a credit card. If so you likely got an extra year of warranty coverage, that feature is pretty much a given with any credit card.

@JTMav , we hate to hear about the image retention on your OLED TV. Even though this does affect a small percentage of OLED users, LG is working with customers to see what can be done to address the situation. For further assistance please check out the following link: oled.lgsupport.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
LG Electronics is offline  
post #34662 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMav View Post
So I am curious if others have had any out of warranty experience with LG. I have a C7 that I bought June of 2017. Now my previous set was a Pioneer Elite which I had for 10 years. Having owned a plasma I was always sensitive to Image Retention or burn in which I never had with my Pioneer. I don’t game and actually am a cord cutter so my viewing is either OTA or streaming. I don’t watch any type of programming that would have banners and such nor is the set on for long, long stretches. Unfortunately this OLED panel is showing some burn in. I bought the set from Robert at Value Electronics and he has suggested some programming to remediate the issue, pixel refresh and some YouTube videos to run overnight, which I have done. Unfortunately the burn in is not fading. I am waiting a call from LG after loqging a complaint. Since the warranty has expired I wondered if anyone here has had any luck getting them to fix, or really in this instance, replace the panel even though the warranty has expired. Very disappointed since I really have just used the set for normal viewing. Thanks in advance for any help.
JTMav

@JTMav , we hate to hear about the image retention on your OLED TV. Even though this does affect a small percentage of OLED users, LG is working with customers to see what can be done to address the situation. For further assistance please check out the following link: https://oled.lgsupport.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
LG Electronics is offline  
post #34663 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just stop the bollocks of a small percentage of users. This tech is kinda new and before not many people had the money to buy an OLED television. You will see an increase of numbers rapidly now some OLED's are passing the 1-2 years of using. The burn-in topics on a couple of forums across the world are showing an increase of people who do have those problems. Even with ''normall'' uses (which is a **** description because you should use your television for what it is made for, watching television on without the worrying that your 2K TV is going to be worthless just because of that) burn-in will happen. I got my screen replaced for free on the C7 so i'm not bothered anymore with this BI crap. It would last 1-2 years now. And within 2 years I'm going to replace OLED for either a good mini led tv or FALD (since Micro-leds will still be to expensive). No more OLEDS for me.
Panson likes this.

Last edited by Achillias; 01-17-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Achillias is offline  
post #34664 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,627
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
Just stop the bollocks of a small percentage of users. This tech is kinda new and before not many people had the money to buy an OLED television. You will see an increase of numbers rapidly now some OLED's are passing the 1-2 years of using. The burn-in topics on a couple of forums across the world are showing an increase of people who do have those problems. Even with ''normall'' uses (which is a **** description because you should use your television for what it is made for, watching television on without the worrying that your 2K TV is going to be worthless just because of that) burn-in will happen. I got my screen replaced for free on the C7 so i'm not bothered anymore with this BI crap. It would last 1-2 years now. And within 2 years I'm going to replace OLED for either a good mini led tv or FALD (since Micro-leds will still be to expensive). No more OLEDS for me.

Bollocks - really? Okay if you say so
Burn-in is an unfortunate thing that has happened to a small percentage of owners. This group, rightfully so, tends to be very vocal - thank you for helping me make my point. It is always easy to confuse image retention with burn-in. Despite what you and few others would like us to think, it is not an epidemic. If the LG account is real (doubtful), its great they are on AVS. Let's spend our time getting them to work on uniformity - please.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #34665 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Bollocks - really? Okay if you say so
Burn-in is an unfortunate thing that has happened to a small percentage of owners. This group, rightfully so, tends to be very vocal - thank you for helping me make my point. It is always easy to confuse image retention with burn-in. Despite what you and few others would like us to think, it is not an epidemic. If the LG account is real (doubtful), its great they are on AVS. Let's spend our time getting them to work on uniformity - please.
You are the one who is confused about the differences between image retention with burn-in. Obviously, otherwise you wouldn't said such meaningless statements. Do you really think LG would pay for a screen replacement if it was just image rentention. No point in discussing this matter, with someone that doesn't seems to see the differences between those two.
william06 and Panson like this.
Achillias is offline  
post #34666 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
Just stop the bollocks of a small percentage of users. This tech is kinda new and before not many people had the money to buy an OLED television. You will see an increase of numbers rapidly now some OLED's are passing the 1-2 years of using. The burn-in topics on a couple of forums across the world are showing an increase of people who do have those problems. Even with ''normall'' uses (which is a **** description because you should use your television for what it is made for, watching television on without the worrying that your 2K TV is going to be worthless just because of that) burn-in will happen. I got my screen replaced for free on the C7 so i'm not bothered anymore with this BI crap. It would last 1-2 years now. And within 2 years I'm going to replace OLED for either a good mini led tv or FALD (since Micro-leds will still be to expensive). No more OLEDS for me.
Burn-in is an unfortunate possible side effect of OLED tech. I and many others bought this TV knowing this. The amazing picture quality is worth it.

BTW your C7 should last you way longer than 1 or 2 years. I’ve had my C7 over a year and still zero burn-in. I don’t babysit it either. I use it for everything.
Reflex-Arc, Ph8te, Datagg and 3 others like this.

Last edited by TechNerd666; 01-17-2019 at 12:59 PM.
TechNerd666 is offline  
post #34667 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
JTMav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am the OP about burn in and the link is legit, although it linked me to the appliance division but is getting straightened out. I have updated my case using the link and will keep anyone interested in the final outcome. The link allowed me to upload some photos of the burn in, and yes I am aware of the difference between IR and burn in. I will keep anyone who is interested in the outcome.
Best,
JTMav
Kenbar and Panson like this.

JTMav

Last edited by JTMav; 01-17-2019 at 02:08 PM.
JTMav is offline  
post #34668 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Nation66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG Electronics View Post
@JTMav , we hate to hear about the image retention on your OLED TV. Even though this does affect a small percentage of OLED users, LG is working with customers to see what can be done to address the situation. For further assistance please check out the following link: https://oled.lgsupport.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
I sent a message to LG using that link, and here's what I got in return: "I am sure that we can take a look into your case and help you find a solution. Unfortunately, the link that you clicked on brought you to the home appliance department and not the home electronics department. The easiest way to reach the right department is to go online to Facebook https://www.facebook.com/LGUSSupport , Twitter @LGUSSupport or https://oled.lgsupport.com/hc/en-us/requests/new."


It's the same link!
Nation66 is offline  
post #34669 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
JTMav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation66 View Post
I sent a message to LG using that link, and here's what I got in return: "I am sure that we can take a look into your case and help you find a solution. Unfortunately, the link that you clicked on brought you to the home appliance department and not the home electronics department. The easiest way to reach the right department is to go online to Facebook https://www.facebook.com/LGUSSupport , Twitter @LGUSSupport or https://oled.lgsupport.com/hc/en-us/requests/new."


It's the same link!
Yes the appliance dept forwarded my case and form to electronics as well as the Zendesk group. I went to the Facebook page and accessed the Zendesk group (for people who don’t want to use social media) and was given a Zendesk case #. Supposedly I am to hear from someone in the next 24 to 48hrs. I’ll let you know.
JTMav

JTMav
JTMav is offline  
post #34670 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
fireman1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by doshortell View Post
I'm looking to get some advice as to what to do with my panel. I've had my B7A for about 15 months, and am therefore out of my factory warranty period. A while back I noticed that my screen seemed to be split in half down the middle, with the left side a lighter shade than the right. I've tried factory resetting the panel more than once and ran the pixel refresher twice, but the issue won't go away. It isn't as bad as some I've seen with this problem, but it is driving me crazy that I have this on a TV that I spent so much on.

I've read that others with this issue have had their panel replaced by LG, but they were still under warranty. I didn't use a credit card to purchase the set, so I don't have any protection on that front. I did purchase a Square Trade extended warranty from Costco, but reading the conditions they don't seem to cover display uniformity issues. Does anyone here have any experience with making a claim with ST for anything similar? This isn't burn in, but I'm not sure if they would consider this an actionable defect.

Is it still worth contacting LG to see if they will fix it? I'm guessing I will have to pay since I'm out of warranty, but a panel replacement seems like it would cost a significant portion of buying a new TV.

I've attached some photos I took of my panel.

Thanks in advance!!


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's exactly what my screen looked like after owning it 6 mos. LG replaced my panel last Friday to be exact. The repairman said he is seeing a lot of them with the exact same problems and said it is a manufacturing defect that LG is aware of. That sounds like a class action lawsuit. I've chatted with other folks on this forum who said their problems started after the 2000 hr. mark but mine didn't have half of those hours and it took several months of talking with LG to get them to do anything. I sent them pictures back in the fall of last year and they kept saying they would get back to me and never did and I finally got to speak with somebody here in the states who took care of me. The new panel looks great but not as bright and the colors don't seem to pop as much as the old but the old one improved in those two areas over time. I wish you luck! This is not a uniformity problem and squaretrade should take care of it but you may have to jump through hoops with them too and don't take no for an answer because they will try to do you wrong. I
have a history of dealing with them too!
Panson likes this.

Last edited by fireman1000; 01-17-2019 at 08:02 PM.
fireman1000 is offline  
post #34671 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,627
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
You are the one who is confused about the differences between image retention with burn-in. Obviously, otherwise you wouldn't said such meaningless statements. Do you really think LG would pay for a screen replacement if it was just image rentention. No point in discussing this matter, with someone that doesn't seems to see the differences between those two.
Yikes - as someone who had burn-in on a plasma I know the difference not my first emissive display, but in typical fashion you saw red (burn-in) and comprehention went out the window. No doubt it’s real, but there are other owners who have trouble distinguishing between the retention or burn-in - the later takes time to achieve. Nice work around on just how big this issue isn’t - but as was done last year since this thread was clogged up with a few owners posting repeatedly about their burn-in (again unfortunate and not dismissing) there are threads for this topic so take it there so we can get back to discussing the displays. We all know the in and outs of what to watch with our displays, they are emissive, but the Rtings test results speak for themselves - it takes time and repetition before burn-in can be an issue. Not a reason to skip buying the best display tech currently available unless you watch CNN like content too much for anyone’s own good.
Reflex-Arc likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #34672 of 35713 Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMav View Post
I am the OP about burn in and the link is legit, although it linked me to the appliance division but is getting straightened out. I have updated my case using the link and will keep anyone interested in the final outcome. The link allowed me to upload some photos of the burn in, and yes I am aware of the difference between IR and burn in. I will keep anyone who is interested in the outcome.
Best,
JTMav
I don't know if that link provided by new member "LG Electronics" is legit or not. Does it redirect you to the LG support site at a domain ending in "lg.com?"


Even if a link redirects you to the official website, doesn't mean that the site redirecting you is owned or authorized by LG. A redirecting site may silently load malicious code in your browser that later spies on your entries on the official site.


Again, I have no idea if it's legit or not. You're safer just going to the official site here: https://www.lg.com/us/support
Datagg and Panson like this.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #34673 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 01:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
You are the one who is confused about the differences between image retention with burn-in. Obviously, otherwise you wouldn't said such meaningless statements. Do you really think LG would pay for a screen replacement if it was just image rentention. No point in discussing this matter, with someone that doesn't seems to see the differences between those two.
Yikes - as someone who had burn-in on a plasma I know the difference not my first emissive display, but in typical fashion you saw red (burn-in) and comprehention went out the window. No doubt it’s real, but there are other owners who have trouble distinguishing between the retention or burn-in - the later takes time to achieve. Nice work around on just how big this issue isn’t - but as was done last year since this thread was clogged up with a few owners posting repeatedly about their burn-in (again unfortunate and not dismissing) there are threads for this topic so take it there so we can get back to discussing the displays. We all know the in and outs of what to watch with our displays, they are emissive, but the Rtings test results speak for themselves - it takes time and repetition before burn-in can be an issue. Not a reason to skip buying the best display tech currently available unless you watch CNN like content too much for anyone’s own good.
This is so not true, it’s a real misperception if you think oled burn-ins are only possible to get with repetitive activity’s. that’s false. You could watch something different the whole week and still burn-ins could happen. Also plasma and oled are two different techniques with different causes. The burn-ins on plasmas are different compared to oled.
Panson likes this.
Achillias is offline  
post #34674 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 06:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
This is so not true, it’s a real misperception if you think oled burn-ins are only possible to get with repetitive activity’s. that’s false. You could watch something different the whole week and still burn-ins could happen. Also plasma and oled are two different techniques with different causes. The burn-ins on plasmas are different compared to oled.
Everything wears, entropy affects everything. You likely know that no matter how high quality you think your car brand is it will not survive anywhere near the warranty period if you race it on a track 8 hours a day, every day, or just drop a brick on the accelerator pedal and let the engine rev overnight, every night. There will always be the rare case where design and manufacturing tolerances line up such that a non-abused engine fails prematurely at 70,000 miles instead of 150,000 miles, and that's why there are warranties. How long would you stay away from your home with the oven and stove set on their highest setting? (I'm over 4500 hours/2+ years with no noticeable PIR)

Instead of being divisive regardless of which side one is one here we should all be signing petitions to have logos and those damn new show advertisements removed. We're headed for "Idiocracy" TV screens and no one wins with that: http://cdn.soundandvision.com/files/...2009173627.jpg
cathodeRay is offline  
post #34675 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
william06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South central Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Everything wears, entropy affects everything. You likely know that no matter how high quality you think your car brand is it will not survive anywhere near the warranty period if you race it on a track 8 hours a day, every day, or just drop a brick on the accelerator pedal and let the engine rev overnight, every night. There will always be the rare case where design and manufacturing tolerances line up such that a non-abused engine fails prematurely at 70,000 miles instead of 150,000 miles, and that's why there are warranties. How long would you stay away from your home with the oven and stove set on their highest setting? (I'm over 4500 hours/2+ years with no noticeable PIR)

Instead of being divisive regardless of which side one is one here we should all be signing petitions to have logos and those damn new show advertisements removed. We're headed for "Idiocracy" TV screens and no one wins with that: http://cdn.soundandvision.com/files/...2009173627.jpg
5068 hours 17 months sonoftumble ssettings so far so good. Watch any thing I want.
ppasteur, T-smith, davelr and 2 others like this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic ubp9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
william06 is offline  
post #34676 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I've had the b7a for over a year now. No issues and if it died today, I'd buy another tomorrow.

No questions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MoInSTL, T-smith, towerboy and 2 others like this.
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #34677 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
I've had the b7a for over a year now. No issues and if it died today, I'd buy another tomorrow.

No questions.
Same here.

My brother has an E7 slightly older and he already has burn-in (and he's fully aware and tries to adapt viewing habits to prevent it).

I think we'd need about 10,000 positive reports for every 1 negative report on this to make any meaningful determination.

I do not think it's appropriate to downplay or deny burn-in on these sets. It can and does happen. Maybe not to you or I, but it's happening to others. It is real. It's a consequence of this technology.
dwaleke is offline  
post #34678 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Reflex-Arc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I'm not even sure the majority of us who are reporting multiple thousands of hours on a non-babied display with zero evidence of burn in are downplaying the possibility of it occurring. All I see are both camps sharing their experiences. Both are valid. Both are currently, and will be in the future, referenced by savvy shoppers searching online for prior customer insight. Those people deserve to know.
ataneruo and Datagg like this.
Reflex-Arc is offline  
post #34679 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,627
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
I'm not even sure the majority of us who are reporting multiple thousands of hours on a non-babied display with zero evidence of burn in are downplaying the possibility of it occurring. All I see are both camps sharing their experiences. Both are valid. Both are currently, and will be in the future, referenced by savvy shoppers searching online for prior customer insight. Those people deserve to know.

Couldn't agree more, but it should be pointed out that burn-in seems to be improving with each generation. The reports from 6 to 7 to 8 vary (even if you account for how long the 8 series has been out). Then there are the numbers from that other thread showing the improvement from the 6 series to the 7 series with the Rtings tests. So some 7 series owners posting about burn-in has relevance, but its not apples to apples. Another nice feature on the 8 series is the logo dimming feature, while I can't say how much it helps (I keep it on low), it shows that LG is trying to improve even if content providers (CNN and others) insist on using logos. The nice thing is I haven't babied either one of my OLEDs like I did my plasmas, so far so good
ataneruo, Datagg and Soundizer17 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #34680 of 35713 Old 01-18-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Soundizer17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 129
My Soundbar only supports Dolby Digital, DTS and LPCM. No Dolby Digital + and no Atmos. Should I just connect my Apple TV4K directly to LG OLED55C7 based on this?

I currently connected it to Soundbar which has HDMI ARC.
Soundizer17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off