2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980364Likes

post #34891 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGadget View Post
Yeah, actually the most lagging is on the Dolby Atmos app when playing those Atmos / HDR videos.

And i noticed its the same issue when using wired internet, so its definitely the update which caused this issue.

Im in the progress of doing a reset right now, but i´m sceptic.

I always had lagging on the Dolby Atmos App since day 1. All other apps works fine so I think the problem maybe with Dolby’s servers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34892 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
I always had lagging on the Dolby Atmos App since day 1. All other apps works fine so I think the problem maybe with Dolby’s servers

oh, well i´m almost sure I didn't had the lagging on the Dolby app before the update?

By the way for the people who has the LG SK9Y or the LG SJ9 soundbar, I noticed in the Dolby app that when using the internal TV speakers there is a white square in the upper right corner saying "Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos", but when using the Atmos capable soundbar it does only say Dolby Vision in the upper right corner when watching the Dolby Atmos app videos.
Do you get the same thing?
And does it mean there is no Atmos sound from the soundbar since it only says Dolby Vision in the upper corner, but I still hear sound from the up firing speakers.

And is the type of HDMI cable important for Atmos sound, or does it work with any HDMI cable?

BTW i have the sk9y soundbar connected to the TV by ARC.

Last edited by TheGadget; 02-05-2019 at 08:14 AM.
post #34893 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 326
2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
oh, well i´m almost sure I didn't had the lagging on the Dolby app before the update?

By the way for the people who has the LG SK9Y or the LG SJ9 soundbar, I noticed in the Dolby app that when using the internal TV speakers there is a white square in the upper right corner saying "Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos", but when using the Atmos capable soundbar it does only say Dolby Vision in the upper right corner when watching the Dolby Atmos app videos.
Do you get the same thing?
And does it mean there is no Atmos sound from the soundbar since it only says Dolby Vision in the upper corner, but I still hear sound from the up firing speakers.

And is the type of HDMI cable important for Atmos sound, or does it work with any HDMI cable?

BTW i have the sk9y soundbar connected to the TV by ARC.

The Dolby Atmos Popup will only be displayed when using the internal speakers

when using external Atmos capable AVR or soundbar the Atmos notification would appear there assuming the soundbar has some sort of display to tell you the audio signal

The HDMI cable does matter for Atmos from the TV through ARC and will you know if its an issue. The HDMI cable should be a certified cable but some non certified cables do work.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 02-05-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34894 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
The Dolby Atmos Popup will only be displayed when using the internal speakers

when using external Atmos capable AVR or soundbar the Atmos notification would appear there assuming the soundbar has some sort of display to tell you the audio signal

The HDMI cable does matter for Atmos from the TV through ARC and will you know if its an issue. The HDMI cable should be a certified cable but some non certified cables do work.
Thanks, yep I noticed that the LG SK9Y soundbar remote has an "i" button, when pushing it "Dolby Atmos" is visible on the soundbar. I didn't even knew about the info button.

Okay so the HDMI cable does matter, Im currently using a no-name brand and my soundbar shows "Dolby Atmos" so I guess its working. You say it needs to be certified, i´m assuming you mean Atmos certified? I haven't noticed but do the cables usually show an Atmos certified logo or something of that sort?
post #34895 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, yep I noticed that the LG SK9Y soundbar remote has an "i" button, when pushing it "Dolby Atmos" is visible on the soundbar. I didn't even knew about the info button.

Okay so the HDMI cable does matter, Im currently using a no-name brand and my soundbar shows "Dolby Atmos" so I guess its working. You say it needs to be certified, i´m assuming you mean Atmos certified? I haven't noticed but do the cables usually show an Atmos certified logo or something of that sort?

Certified cables will show it similar to the attached pic. Cables that are not certified can work but could also stop working when updates come which happened to a lot of us when Marantz released their eARC update to their AVRs in November

-
post #34896 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6583 Post(s)
Liked: 6579
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
I rephrase my last answer. After having a good look today at the top line of the tv, I see a tiny bend in it, but I don't think that will have any influence, as long as there isn't an earthquake.
That is pretty much normal. Mine has a bend in it as well.....
post #34897 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Welp, it would appear that the wireless module on my 14-month-old 55C7P is dying.

While using a built-in app (such as Netflix), the TV will abruptly lose ALL wireless connectivity, including Bluetooth. Going into the Network settings, the TV simply says that Wifi is turned off, with no way to re-enable it. And with no bluetooth, all the "magic" goes out of the magic remote, leaving me with IR only.

It first happened a couple days ago. A quick reboot (unplugging for a minute) didn't fix the problem. I tried resetting to factory defaults; no joy. I made the mistake of unpairing the remote and was unable to re-pair it because "bluetooth service needs to be initialized." I unplugged the TV overnight and managed to get wireless back (and re-pair the remote), but then wireless died again last night while my son was watching Netflix. I have unplugged the TV for a few hours to see if I can get wireless back again, but I'm not hopeful.

Needless to say, this is super disappointing, especially being just two months out of warranty. I'm afraid to find out how much it will cost to have a technician come out and replace the wireless module.

I might try connecting the TV to an old router set up in media bridge mode. And get a cheap replacement IR remote maybe? I dunno.

Anyone else experience this kind of problem?
post #34898 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothersale View Post
Welp, it would appear that the wireless module on my 14-month-old 55C7P is dying.

While using a built-in app (such as Netflix), the TV will abruptly lose ALL wireless connectivity, including Bluetooth. Going into the Network settings, the TV simply says that Wifi is turned off, with no way to re-enable it. And with no bluetooth, all the "magic" goes out of the magic remote, leaving me with IR only.

It first happened a couple days ago. A quick reboot (unplugging for a minute) didn't fix the problem. I tried resetting to factory defaults; no joy. I made the mistake of unpairing the remote and was unable to re-pair it because "bluetooth service needs to be initialized." I unplugged the TV overnight and managed to get wireless back (and re-pair the remote), but then wireless died again last night while my son was watching Netflix. I have unplugged the TV for a few hours to see if I can get wireless back again, but I'm not hopeful.

Needless to say, this is super disappointing, especially being just two months out of warranty. I'm afraid to find out how much it will cost to have a technician come out and replace the wireless module.

I might try connecting the TV to an old router set up in media bridge mode. And get a cheap replacement IR remote maybe? I dunno.

Are you feeling adventurous? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED55B7A-U-Wireless-Adapter-Module-EAT63377302/153339128361?epid=27017974764&hash=item23b3b96a29: g:WLIAAOSwiqdbt94b:rk:1f:0 (Price of the module: <$16, shipped. They want another $2 for the same part if you specify C7P.)
Hothersale likes this.
post #34899 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothersale View Post

Did you by chance use a credit card to purchase your display? Remember most cards (even debit) add a year to the manufacturers warranty.
Hothersale and schwinn8 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #34900 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Are you feeling adventurous? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED55B7A-U-Wireless-Adapter-Module-EAT63377302/153339128361?epid=27017974764&hash=item23b3b96a29: g:WLIAAOSwiqdbt94b:rk:1f:0 (Price of the module: <$16, shipped. They want another $2 for the same part if you specify C7P.)
Huh, that's a thought. I'm surprised the part is so cheap. I wonder how easy it is to open up up the TV and install it? I've built a few computers in my time, so I'm not averse to a little tinkering....
post #34901 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Did you by chance use a credit card to purchase your display? Remember most cards (even debit) add a year to the manufacturers warranty.
Oooh, and that's another thought, thanks! Need to check in with the folks at Mastercard....
post #34902 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Atmos from Netflix has stopped working on my B7 and I'm about to pull my hair out. It works if I use the built-in speakers but, stops working as soon as I change it to ARC. When this happened a few months ago, I turned off the surge protector for 10 minutes and then everything was happy again.

If Netflix would stop being so stingy with their Atmos support, this would be a non-issue since my Fire TV and Roku have no problem providing Atmos for services other than Netflix.

Denon AVR-X6300H, LG OLED55B7A, Sony UPB-X1100ES, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Roamio OTA, Panasonic DMR-ES46V, Proscan PSLD-43, Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
Klipsch R-820f fronts, C-2 center, R-620 surrounds and F-2 back, Quintet V for Atmos, Monoprice Monolith 10", Velodyne VRP-10
post #34903 of 36284 Old 02-05-2019, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So my B7A55 started turning off randomly and sometimes turning back on. i have been able to get it back working by taking it apart and testing the voltages and it will start up. Which makes it a pain to find out what is wrong with it. Last time it happened i tried to test the standby voltage on the psu and pushed down on the pins and it started up. I thought maybe it was just the cable was loose. Well 2 weeks later it went out again. Not sure what to replace.

I plug it in and the LED blinks 3 times... then nothing. not sure what could be wrong with it or what i should try to test. anyone have any advice on this? I will either end up buying a replacement power supply off shopjimmy or take it to a tv repair guy. though part of me would rather risk $70 than the most likely $300 and driving my tv to a repair shop.

Any help would be appreciated
post #34904 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Markovich View Post
So my B7A55 started turning off randomly and sometimes turning back on. i have been able to get it back working by taking it apart and testing the voltages and it will start up. Which makes it a pain to find out what is wrong with it. Last time it happened i tried to test the standby voltage on the psu and pushed down on the pins and it started up. I thought maybe it was just the cable was loose. Well 2 weeks later it went out again. Not sure what to replace.

I plug it in and the LED blinks 3 times... then nothing. not sure what could be wrong with it or what i should try to test. anyone have any advice on this? I will either end up buying a replacement power supply off shopjimmy or take it to a tv repair guy. though part of me would rather risk $70 than the most likely $300 and driving my tv to a repair shop.

Any help would be appreciated

Try turning Quick Start under General to off and or Auto Power Sync under General / Simpelink to off as well

This is most likely due to another device like an Apple TV

-

Last edited by T-smith; 02-06-2019 at 05:50 AM.
post #34905 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
Atmos from Netflix has stopped working on my B7 and I'm about to pull my hair out. It works if I use the built-in speakers but, stops working as soon as I change it to ARC. When this happened a few months ago, I turned off the surge protector for 10 minutes and then everything was happy again.

If Netflix would stop being so stingy with their Atmos support, this would be a non-issue since my Fire TV and Roku have no problem providing Atmos for services other than Netflix.
this sounds like an HDMI cable or AVR issue

did your AVR get an update recently?

-
post #34906 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Try turning Quick Start under General to off and or Auto Power Sync under General / Simpelink to off as well

This is most likely due to another device like an Apple TV

I can try this if i manage to get my tv to actually power on. still no luck on getting it to boot up. Also only device that is ever plugged into this thing is my ps4 pro.
post #34907 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can try this if i manage to get my tv to actually power on. still no luck on getting it to boot up. Also only device that is ever plugged into this thing is my ps4 pro.

That does sound like more of an issue than others were having.

I’d unplug from wall for a few and disconnect the ps4 and Ethernet if you’re wired before trying again.

-
post #34908 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
That does sound like more of an issue than others were having.

I’d unplug from wall for a few and disconnect the ps4 and Ethernet if you’re wired before trying again.

Not using Ethernet and had nothing plugged into it overnight while it was unplugged. still doesn't boot up. When i get home (still uplugged) I will take it apart and test it with a multimeter and see if it had standby voltage. Not sure if i have a power supply problem or what. Also Tv randomly shut off while watching netflix or playing games. So I wouldn't think its some issue with standby or something from anther device.
post #34909 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not using Ethernet and had nothing plugged into it overnight while it was unplugged. still doesn't boot up. When i get home (still uplugged) I will take it apart and test it with a multimeter and see if it had standby voltage. Not sure if i have a power supply problem or what. Also Tv randomly shut off while watching netflix or playing games. So I wouldn't think its some issue with standby or something from anther device.

CEC is a funny thing and a lot of people have been having similar problems with the TV turning on and off due to devices like an Apple TV going into standby or starting up and turning off those settings I mentioned fixed it for most.

Try searching this thread as I seem to remember one other person having an issue like yours where the TV wouldn’t power on

-
post #34910 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
this sounds like an HDMI cable or AVR issue

did your AVR get an update recently?
Nope. And, I tried a brand-new Amazon Basics HDMI cable last night.

Denon AVR-X6300H, LG OLED55B7A, Sony UPB-X1100ES, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Roamio OTA, Panasonic DMR-ES46V, Proscan PSLD-43, Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
Klipsch R-820f fronts, C-2 center, R-620 surrounds and F-2 back, Quintet V for Atmos, Monoprice Monolith 10", Velodyne VRP-10
post #34911 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
Nope. And, I tried a brand-new Amazon Basics HDMI cable last night.

Is that amazon basics cable certified? If not you might want to try one that is.

Might want to also check the owners thread for your AVR as well. Someone recently had a similar issue with a Yamaha receiver that I believe was corrected with a reset but check first.

-
post #34912 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Is that amazon basics cable certified? If not you might want to try one that is.

Might want to also check the owners thread for your AVR as well. Someone recently had a similar issue with a Yamaha receiver that I believe was corrected with a reset but check first.

Amazon claims that it can do 18 Gbps, but I believe that it's not certified premium.

I have a copy of Amazon Basics cables from about 2 years ago. One 6' cable could handle 17.2 Gbps when used to directly connect a UHD player to a TV, but when I added an AVR and a second cable, it didn't work. Upgrading the cables fixed that. I have no idea whether the current "Amazon Basics" cables are the same as then.
post #34913 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57

Quote:
Sorry, but it sounds either your motherboard (most likely) or your PSU is toast. My 6 months 65E7P behaved similarly where it would randomly shutdown, after few times it would never boot. MB was replaced under warranty and is working fine since.

The LG approved shop didn’t diagnose anything, they were sure based on my description that it was the MB, but ordered both a MB and a panel in case. Don’t know if you can source a MB if that is the fault.
post #34914 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
Sorry, but it sounds either your motherboard (most likely) or your PSU is toast. My 6 months 65E7P behaved similarly where it would randomly shutdown, after few times it would never boot. MB was replaced under warranty and is working fine since.

The LG approved shop didn’t diagnose anything, they were sure based on my description that it was the MB, but ordered both a MB and a panel in case. Don’t know if you can source a MB if that is the fault.

well of course my tv is a year and 5 months so mine isnt under warranty. and i hear replacing the MB is a pain... I'd rather it be the psu =/
post #34915 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
well of course my tv is a year and 5 months so mine isnt under warranty. and i hear replacing the MB is a pain... I'd rather it be the psu =/

Once you open the TV, replacing the MB is easy, and our TVs are held by simple Philips screws. I watched the tech doing it. A simple job for someone handy with electronics, it is a bunch of 3-4 flat connectors,...

I’ve taken pics of the inside that I can share once you get to it. Regardless, where will you source either the PSU or MB from, eBay? Sorry that you are outside the warranty period.
post #34916 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
Once you open the TV, replacing the MB is easy, and our TVs are held by simple Philips screws. I watched the tech doing it. A simple job for someone handy with electronics, it is a bunch of 3-4 flat connectors,...

I’ve taken pics of the inside that I can share once you get to it. Regardless, where will you source either the PSU or MB from, eBay? Sorry that you are outside the warranty period.

probably shopjimmy or something. i know they have the psu not sure about the mb. also thought i heard someone say that replacing the mb is tricky cause you have to calibrate it or something that only engineers have the software for. or you will just get a blank screen when trying to power on. not sure. checking my voltages right now to see if something is amiss. Really dont want it to be a MB xD

after checking voltages my psu is delivering 19.8v and 11.9v to the MB. Guess it is on? as standby is 7.8.. anyways tried testing the p202 plug which is the psu plug for the module but i could not get a single volt out of any of the pins. DC/AC grounded to tv grounded to pin nothing. not sure if that is right or not xD

Last edited by Paul Markovich; 02-06-2019 at 08:04 PM.
post #34917 of 36284 Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
If you bought it with a credit card then you are most likely are still covered. Most tack on another year as my Chase Visa did. However, since you have opened it up, that could void the warranty if they can tell.
post #34918 of 36284 Old 02-07-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
probably shopjimmy or something. i know they have the psu not sure about the mb. also thought i heard someone say that replacing the mb is tricky cause you have to calibrate it or something that only engineers have the software for. or you will just get a blank screen when trying to power on. not sure. checking my voltages right now to see if something is amiss. Really dont want it to be a MB xD
I was watching the tech like a Hawk. The only thing he did with the service remote control post replacement is to enter the MB serial nb, but that after the TV started and had a picture (liveTV). He said that’s required for warranty purposes. He was supposed to transfer the hours in use over but he forgot.

The MB he installed had an older firmware, which means the MB come preloaded with firmware, at least the ones the service shops have.

From your diagnosis it does seem that the PSU is ok. I’ve checked a pic of my TVs PSU, and near the connector, I think there’s a pair of diodes marked with 20V, so your measurement is correct. That leaves either the MB or the display, and wish it’s the MB and NOT the display! Too bad we don’t have a service manual for the LG OLED series...

It’s rather odd that the MB fails before the PSU... most likely some heat related issues where some components are failing.Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	2521474

Last edited by rondongon; 02-07-2019 at 03:54 AM.
post #34919 of 36284 Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Marcadet View Post
I've gone through the whole process this month. LG replaced my panel. The tech told me that they tried to fix the LUT for several TVs at first, but it always failed during the update and it bricked the TVs, so now they rather do a panel swap. I'm in France.

Was your panel replaced during warranty or after? Would be interested in knowing if anyone has tried to get this problem rectified by LG after their warranty expired.
post #34920 of 36284 Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Got a phone call yesterday morning from a TV repair shop. LG passed along my info, they confirmed with me that I had the rectangle burned into the middle of the screen, and said they're coming out on Wednesday to fix it. I'll let everyone knows how it goes. Still not sure if I'm hoping for a new panel or just the LUT fix. I'm leaning more towards a new panel every day, since this one is starting to act funky... But either way, will post more once they do the work. Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankman1 View Post
Was your panel replaced during warranty or after? Would be interested in knowing if anyone has tried to get this problem rectified by LG after their warranty expired.
I know this question wasn't technically directed at me, but since it's the same process I'm now in, I'll jump in here too. I initiated the action a few weeks ago, while I thought I was still under warranty, as I obviously didn't want to make anything more difficult. Worth noting: my TV was purchased used, and after literally just Googling it a few minutes ago, I've come to find out Amazon Warehouse says used items have no warranty, only a 30 day return policy.. LG is apparently standing behind it regardless, so I'm glad for that. I'll obviously be sure to let you know if this works out. It probably dashes my hopes of a new panel unless they brick it, but.. We'll see.

Last edited by Token Majove; 02-07-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: editing quote/reply to shankman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page