2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980524Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35011 of 36727 Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I've noticed an issue since this latest update (5.80.15). ARC is not working for me like it previously has. Atmos passthrough seems to be compromised. I've tested the internal tv apps (Netflix/Vudu) and the same apps through my Xbox One X and I'm missing channels from Atmos streams. I'm not getting anything at all from the rear height channels. Front height channels work fine, and I noticed that a lot of audio in Atmos content/scenes I've seen before now seem to be redirected from the rear height to the front height speakers.

So I decided to test ARC from my UHD player. Same problem with ARC. No rear height channel sound, and the back surround channels seemed to be dead as well. There's a second HDMI out on the back of the UHD player (just for audio) and so I used that and everything was working just fine with the rear heights/rear surround speakers. The issue seems to be with how the ARC functions.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A3050 by the way. The front panel shows Atmos like it always has, so if I hadn't isolated the rear height speakers in my 11 channel Atmos setup by unplugging the others intermittently to double check my suspicions I may not have even noticed I was missing two to four channels with ARC now.

Can someone else with rear height atmos speakers check to make sure they are working at all with Atmos playback from ARC via the Netflix app/etc?

Edit: Just plugged the Xbox directly into the receiver and no issues at all. Tested Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (UHD/Atmos) on Netflix at 23:40 where the space ship comes down and I could hear audio coming from the rear height atmos speakers. Seems to be ARC only issue.

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films

Last edited by gamermwm; 02-18-2019 at 06:47 PM.
gamermwm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35012 of 36727 Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Guys, I have a question. Does it make any sense to buy the $250.00 calibration price Best Buy Geek Squad is offering to calibrate my LG OLED C7 Television?
coolking is offline  
post #35013 of 36727 Old 02-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quick update.. the 4 hour auto compensation function fixed a majority of the banding I saw after I did the manual refresh. The horizontal banding is much better and the crisis has been avoided for now. Still have a light band on the right side of the screen that runs from top to bottom and is wide enough to discolor the content but it's liveable.
Bumrush is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35014 of 36727 Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,565
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolking View Post
Guys, I have a question. Does it make any sense to buy the $250.00 calibration price Best Buy Geek Squad is offering to calibrate my LG OLED C7 Television?


Plenty of discussion of the GS calibration. TL;DR it’s a crapshoot there are really good calibrators and bad ones. Personally (and for most folks here) I think it’s worth getting one of the ones recommended in the Calibration section.
Ph8te is offline  
post #35015 of 36727 Old 02-18-2019, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
noobtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
So, I finally got around to figuring this out.


Turning on Match Framerate in the Apple TV settings screws up HDR10 stuff in the Amazon app, or at least it does with The Grand Tour. When the setting is on, colors lose saturation. Not sure if this is an Apple TV bug or a LG bug. I'll try testing on my Roku later.


Match Framerate ON/Match Range ON




Match Framerate OFF/Match Range ON
You could be seeing the 50Hz bug that has been discussed a lot on the Australian Whirlpool forums

Quote:
Content via HDMI at 2160p and 50Hz that uses rec.2020 colour space is extremely (and incorrectly) desaturated. This directly affects Foxtel's iQ4 box, which only outputs in exactly that mode.
Apparently Vincent Teoh has tweeted that LG is aware of it and is making a fix. I'm not updating my TV until it is sorted.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
noobtv is offline  
post #35016 of 36727 Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 
rego00123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Has anyone been experiencing Netflix video errors on the internal app lately?
It only seems to affect 4K DV content, about five minutes in to a video the “whoops something went wrong” error will pop up.
Nothing I do seems like it’s able to fix it.
rego00123 is offline  
post #35017 of 36727 Old 02-18-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,949
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6862 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post

I tried to setup a ticket with LG and they are beyond incompetent. First, I can't even submit a claim online as it says "model is a swap unit". I proceeded to call the call center, probably located in Kathmandu and they gave the phone number to two "authorized" LG technicians. One went straight to a cellular VM and the other told me he was too busy to talk and that if I called him in a week or two he may be able to help me.

What do you guys suggest I do in terms of contacting the inept idiots at LG?
You have to call again, be patient. They are obligated to get someone out there, so they will find a solution....
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #35018 of 36727 Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbalves View Post
Hi guys.

I have the old audio dropouts problems and it's driving me crazy.

Here is my setup:

55B7 OLED TV
Ruark Audio MR1 MKII Stereo speakers (connected via Toslink)
Vodafone TV Box (Connected via HDMI)

I have random audio dropouts (0.5-1sec) on TV Box and Netflix and I don't know how to solve this. I tried disabling HDMI CEC changing audio to PCM and the issue still occurs.

Can anyone help me with this issue?


Thank you in advance.
Anyone?
fredbalves is offline  
post #35019 of 36727 Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
I did. Online service wouldn't accept the claim because of the aforementioned "model is a swap unit" error message. The LG call center said I had to deal with the two "local service providers", both of whom seemed like dudes that don't even know what the word banding means.
There's another 8 or so authorized techs just north of Miami. Use the LG Miami Service Center website's support menu to find more techs.
cathodeRay is offline  
post #35020 of 36727 Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Bacon_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
You could be seeing the 50Hz bug that has been discussed a lot on the Australian Whirlpool forums



Apparently Vincent Teoh has tweeted that LG is aware of it and is making a fix. I'm not updating my TV until it is sorted.

Could be since I think it does the same thing on my Roku. I assumed it was 24hz though.
Bacon_67 is offline  
post #35021 of 36727 Old 02-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Datagg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
I will say that IR on this set is almost instantaneous. One or two minutes browsing Youtube and you can see temporary IR on other screens. I wonder if there is a link between accelerated banding/ burn in and TV sets that have quick IR.
Same issue with mine with IR. Seconds... Literally 5 seconds of Youtube, or any static symbol, whatever.. IR is 5 seconds. Its crazy. I baby this thing like there is no tomorrow. My first panel worked great, never saw IR like this or even after large chunks of time. Sad it was plagued with a stuck pixel. This panel other wise is good, yet the super fast IR issue has me bothered for possible early more plausible burn in issues because of it.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Datagg; 02-19-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Datagg is offline  
post #35022 of 36727 Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
astateofmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I noticed some superfast IR as well but fortunately didn't convert into BI yet.

I lowered the OLED light to 50 and contrast to 85, maybe will help with IR.

On another note: image seems sometime a bit de-saturated compared with the memory of my old C6. Is that happening to anyone else? Or am i holding the OLED in a too high regard and my imagination is playing tricks on me?

For example the Jeep in the add on youtube app doesn't look like a perfect red.
astateofmind is offline  
post #35023 of 36727 Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Member
 
torkibe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
I think my firmware was updated to 05.80.15 (I have auto update turned off, so I'm not sure how that happened) and I am suddenly experiencing ARC issues when using native apps. Until yesterday I had sound from the my 65C to my Onkyo TX-RZ710 with no issues whatsoever. Atmos worked perfectly as well. If I used the TV remote it would adjust the sound on the receiver. Now, I get no sound at all and I get a the circle / when I attempt to adjust sound. I tried scanning the thread for this issue but I can't find anything. Is this a known issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post
Disconnect any other devices connected to the Onkyo and remove the power from the Onkyo and LG. Then plug them back in and turn them on. This should get ARC working again. Then connect your other devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
Negative Ghost Rider. That was the first thing I did. I also seem to have lost Simplink control of other devices. My LG remote used to control the volume of the receiver, as well as work with my FireTV cube and it does not do either of those things. Is it possible the update changed the minimum HDMI standard and my cable no longer supports it?
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

LG OLED65C7P - Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup -Definitive Pro Center 2000 - Klipsch ICON WF-34 Fronts - Klipsch ICON WB-14 Rears - Monoprice Caliber 8 Ceiling - Klipsch R‑12SWi - LG UP970 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - Logitech Harmony Elite
torkibe is offline  
post #35024 of 36727 Old 02-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Has anyone been experiencing Netflix video errors on the internal app lately?
It only seems to affect 4K DV content, about five minutes in to a video the “whoops something went wrong” error will pop up.
Nothing I do seems like it’s able to fix it.
I have noticed this on Vudu with DV content. The only fix I have found is to unplug the TV. Must be a DV bug with the internal apps.
Mike0908 is offline  
post #35025 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Member
 
sbrentn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation66 View Post
Here's something that's really strange to me.
I bought my 55B7A in December of 2017.
By the early spring, it had developed severe burn in - and problems with the look-up table.
I had to send cellphone pictures to LG to confirm that I had a problem. They even question me beyond that.

This time, I contacted LG, and told them that I had burn in again - and they didn't even question it.
When the tech came today, he didn't even bother to try to see the burn in. He just opened the box with the new screen - and he replaced my old one.

It's like they're resigned to replace these things without any questions. THAT'S NOT A GOOD SIGN!
When I had my panel replaced for banding 4 months ago, LG made the repair guy call them and then use a special phone app that allowed LG to witness the situation in real time and make a determination. My repair guy said that if they don't do that then LG won't approve a return code to charge, which means that they won't get reimbursed for the panel after they order the part (the repair company orders all replacement parts on their dime and then bill LG for payment afterwards). So, your situation means your repair center had to purchase the part, which is about 2000, on their own dime before even get a return authorization from LG. Glad it worked out for you like that, but it was definitely a different process for me and most others.
sbrentn is offline  
post #35026 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Member
 
sbrentn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Exactly. Some delusional individuals are convinced they can see a difference between 1080 and 4K at normal viwieng distances on a normal domestic size screen.
They must think that they have the visual acuity of an eagle as seen in Planet Earth 2 - Mountaines. Sadly, they don't.
I sit about 10ft away from my 65" B7A and I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. It's not like jumping from 480p dvd quality to HD, but there is a noticeable difference in sharpness and darker scenes have better compression.
ynnek63, towerboy, noobtv and 2 others like this.
sbrentn is offline  
post #35027 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 12:01 PM
Member
 
Nation66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentn View Post
When I had my panel replaced for banding 4 months ago, LG made the repair guy call them and then use a special phone app that allowed LG to witness the situation in real time and make a determination. My repair guy said that if they don't do that then LG won't approve a return code to charge, which means that they won't get reimbursed for the panel after they order the part (the repair company orders all replacement parts on their dime and then bill LG for payment afterwards). So, your situation means your repair center had to purchase the part, which is about 2000, on their own dime before even get a return authorization from LG. Glad it worked out for you like that, but it was definitely a different process for me and most others.
My "repair center" was really an LG tech. One guy. I really get the impression that stories like mine are more common, so therefore LG isn't putting up much of a fight. Who knows.
Nation66 is offline  
post #35028 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Member
 
sbrentn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 55
AppleTV 4K sound sync issues with sound bar

Anyone ever have any issues with the sound being out of sync when using a sound bar with an AppleTV 4K?

Issue: When sound settings on Apple TV are set to Auto (it'll select the audio based on the source, 5.1, etc), the sound is out of sync on my sound bar. Changing the ATV4K sound option to "stereo" and then using the "bypass" feature on the OLED will fix any sound syncing issues, but you're only getting down mixed stereo. Basically anything that's not stereo coming form the Apple TV is out of sync when using a sound bar. I am connected with HDMI-ARC and have connected and had this issue since day one.

However, when using the internal OLED speakers and the sound set to AUTO on the ATV4K, there is no sound syncing issues. If you then change/select the option on the OLED to use the sound bar. it instantly makes the sound not match up with the video. I've now tried two different sound bars using the same settings and both sound bars have noticeably out of sync sound (one was a Samsung and another a Sony). I've tried changing multiple settings on the TV, using the bypass feature, changing from auto to PCM. Nothing fixes it. If I switch the APTV4K to stereo output only and then utilize the bypass feature, sound is completely fine. There is also an audio sync feature on my sound bar - that didn't fix anything.

Anyone else have similar issues?

edited to add: a quick google search reveals that people have been having similar problems since the original AppleTV...and all of the other forum posts are people with OLEDS having the issue.
sbrentn is offline  
post #35029 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrentn View Post
I sit about 10ft away from my 65" B7A and I can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K. It's not like jumping from 480p dvd quality to HD, but there is a noticeable difference in sharpness and darker scenes have better compression.
Hi, it seems like you are talking about 1080 on your 4K screen but I was meaning 1080 on a 1080 screen versus 4K on a 4K screen. When 1080 is upscaled to 4K it's not going to look as sharp or detaied as real 4K, I totally agree with that
Of course 4K can also bring HDR with it and that makes a big difference.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #35030 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
noobtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Hi, it seems like you are talking about 1080 on your 4K screen but I was meaning 1080 on a 1080 screen versus 4K on a 4K screen. When 1080 is upscaled to 4K it's not going to look as sharp or detaied as real 4K, I totally agree with that
Of course 4K can also bring HDR with it and that makes a big difference.
This is a pointless discussion because there's no way to test properly, and 1080p screens have gone the way of the dodo, but I don't see why 1080 upscaled on a 4k screen would be any different to native 1080. It's a lossless scaling, just activating four pixels every time a single one would be activated on a 1080 screen.

There would be no resolution loss from this "upscaling".

So I'm convinced that because I can see a clear improvement between 4k and 1080p on my 4k screen, therefore I feel it's logically sound to extrapolate that I could see a clear improvement between 4k on my 4k screen and 1080p on a 1080p screen.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
noobtv is offline  
post #35031 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
ppasteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
This is a pointless discussion because there's no way to test properly, and 1080p screens have gone the way of the dodo, but I don't see why 1080 upscaled on a 4k screen would be any different to native 1080. It's a lossless scaling, just activating four pixels every time a single one would be activated on a 1080 screen.

There would be no resolution loss from this "upscaling".

So I'm convinced that because I can see a clear improvement between 4k and 1080p on my 4k screen, therefore I feel it's logically sound to extrapolate that I could see a clear improvement between 4k on my 4k screen and 1080p on a 1080p screen.

I have a B7. I find that it has certain problems with upscaling 1080i to 4k. Sources, OTA TV, for the most part but also 1080P Blu Ray disks. Bright scenes are pretty darn good, but it is easy to see some blocking in dark scenes and some banding in things like sky shots. I think it is bit starving. It is worse with lower bitrate material for sure. OTA is worse than streamed 1080 material. which is not as good as Blu Ray. In any case my 60" plasma did not show these defect using the same input resolution from the same devices. I have used the ATV4k, Denon 6400 and Oppo 203 (ran the DTV box into it ) to do the upscaling as well as the LG. Those defects are apparent no matter what device upscales.


I would not go back to the LG Plasma now though. Overall the OLED is a far superior device, but upscaling less than perfect 1080 material... well it is not a videophile's dream. With native 4K and especially with HDR, it still takes my breath away at certain times.

Last edited by ppasteur; 02-20-2019 at 06:06 PM.
ppasteur is offline  
post #35032 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
, but I don't see why 1080 upscaled on a 4k screen would be any different to native 1080. It's a lossless scaling, just activating four pixels every time a single one would be activated on a 1080 screen.

Well that is one way it “could” upscale but generally TVs enhance the 1080p input make it look more like a 4K signal.
rsonnens is offline  
post #35033 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
rego00123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0908 View Post
I have noticed this on Vudu with DV content. The only fix I have found is to unplug the TV. Must be a DV bug with the internal apps.
This fixed it.
Weird that it only affects hdr and Dolby sources...
rego00123 is offline  
post #35034 of 36727 Old 02-20-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonoftumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 3,393
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Hi, it seems like you are talking about 1080 on your 4K screen but I was meaning 1080 on a 1080 screen versus 4K on a 4K screen. When 1080 is upscaled to 4K it's not going to look as sharp or detaied as real 4K, I totally agree with that
Of course 4K can also bring HDR with it and that makes a big difference.
Totally agree, and there is a tendency to get hung up about pixel count/resolution, and ignore the other really solid reasons why the industry is moving in certain directions. It's not always about selling more TV's (mostly). lol

There is far more to 4K (and ultimately 8K) than smaller or less visible pixels. When watching true 4K source content, the differences are more than subtle vs. 1080P. Even at normal viewing distances, those differences will be especially noticeable with reflections on various surfaces such as water, or the shiny face of a guitar on a brightly lit concert stage. Less visible pixels will also reduce the size of digital artifacts and therefore render them less noticeable. The ultimate goal is to produce pictures which look more natural and less obviously digital.

4K/HDR brought us improved control over motion in space, plus modulation of light and color which visibly improved digital to analog conversion.
8K will take it to the next level with visibly smoother transitions, the elimination of banding, and come closer to delivering even more analog like pictures.

At first, only the Tier One TVs will be awesome with 8K. Many TVs will look worse with 8K, and we will get what we pay for.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
sonoftumble is offline  
post #35035 of 36727 Old 02-21-2019, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
This is a pointless discussion because there's no way to test properly, and 1080p screens have gone the way of the dodo,but I don't see why 1080 upscaled on a 4k screen would be any different to native 1080. It's a lossless scaling, just activating four pixels every time a single one would be activated on a 1080 screen.

There would be no resolution loss from this "upscaling".

So I'm convinced that because I can see a clear improvement between 4k and 1080p on my 4k screen, therefore I feel it's logically sound to extrapolate that I could see a clear improvement between 4k on my 4k screen and 1080p on a 1080p screen.
Unfortunately upscaling can introduce artefacts in the picture
such as ringing and posterization. Not all devices upscale to an equal quality and that is well understood by enthusiasts. If you watch or read reviews on AVR stuff you will come across this time and time again.

When you're upscaling from Full HD to 4K there is a lot of guesswork, and what the TV manufacturers want to do is remove as much of the guesswork as possible. Upscalers don't just look at the pixel in isolation, they looks at the pixels around it, and on each diagonal, and also look at the pixels across multiple frames, to give a consistency in the picture quality. It's also critical for upscalers to be able to tell the difference between detail and noise artifacts and often artificial sharpenning is introduced to "enhance " the end picture. In short it is very complex and not just a simple matter of replicating each pixel four times.


With the greatest of respect the science and the reality do not support your arguments. Upscaling allows a display to produce a picture from lower resolution material but is not perfect and not all upscalers are created equal.

However there is no doubt that the high end upscalers are getting very sophisticated and produce fantastic results and long may that continue.
BobWalters likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #35036 of 36727 Old 02-21-2019, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
noobtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Unfortunately upscaling can introduce artefacts in the picture
such as ringing and posterization. Not all devices upscale to an equal quality and that is well understood by enthusiasts. If you watch or read reviews on AVR stuff you will come across this time and time again.

When you're upscaling from Full HD to 4K there is a lot of guesswork, and what the TV manufacturers want to do is remove as much of the guesswork as possible. Upscalers don't just look at the pixel in isolation, they looks at the pixels around it, and on each diagonal, and also look at the pixels across multiple frames, to give a consistency in the picture quality. It's also critical for upscalers to be able to tell the difference between detail and noise artifacts and often artificial sharpenning is introduced to "enhance " the end picture. In short it is very complex and not just a simple matter of replicating each pixel four times.


With the greatest of respect the science and the reality do not support your arguments. Upscaling allows a display to produce a picture from lower resolution material but is not perfect and not all upscalers are created equal.

However there is no doubt that the high end upscalers are getting very sophisticated and produce fantastic results and long may that continue.

No problem, you are correct. I was forgetting about the artificial sharpening and other stuff they were doing when upscaling as you describe.


It would be cool if you could turn all that off and see the picture unmolested.


Not complaining however, I do feel we are definitely spoiled with the quality of 4k OLED though.
alexbarbel likes this.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
noobtv is offline  
post #35037 of 36727 Old 02-21-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
No problem, you are correct. I was forgetting about the artificial sharpening and other stuff they were doing when upscaling as you describe.


It would be cool if you could turn all that off and see the picture unmolested.


Not complaining however, I do feel we are definitely spoiled with the quality of 4k OLED though.
That's for sure. Pesonally I feel that I got a great panel in terms of uniformity and am constantly wowed by the fantastic contrast.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #35038 of 36727 Old 02-21-2019, 12:35 PM
Member
 
tonscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

have any of you experiencing any of this.. while on DV on Cinema user setting, while lowering the Oled light you cant go any lower than 40 if you do the screen would start to brighten back up again.
tonscan is offline  
post #35039 of 36727 Old 02-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
noobtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 974
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
That's for sure. Pesonally I feel that I got a great panel in terms of uniformity and am constantly wowed by the fantastic contrast.
My panel is good too, on a 10% gray slide I can see one faint vertical bar but it's not bad and I can't see it in real content.

The OLED picture is amazing, my partner and I love watching nature documentaries especially.

One probable reason that I haven't seen the effects of upscaling is that my HTPC is set to always output 4k, so the HTPC is doing the upscaling and not the TV.

I wonder which one would be higher quality but it would be a hassle to have to switch resolution of the HTPC manually and I haven't noticed any glaring problems.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
noobtv is offline  
post #35040 of 36727 Old 02-22-2019, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
My panel is good too, on a 10% gray slide I can see one faint vertical bar but it's not bad and I can't see it in real content.

The OLED picture is amazing, my partner and I love watching nature documentaries especially.

One probable reason that I haven't seen the effects of upscaling is that my HTPC is set to always output 4k, so the HTPC is doing the upscaling and not the TV.

I wonder which one would be higher quality but it would be a hassle to have to switch resolution of the HTPC manually and I haven't noticed any glaring problems.
If it 'aint broke, no need to fix it !
I agree that nature documentaries look great on this TV. One of my favourites being Blue Planet II. Some of the scenes are just stunningly beautiful. The Coral Reefs episodeis a good example.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off