2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980164Likes

post #35341 of 35709 Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[quote=shankman1;57846492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
It sounds like the same problem I have which started about 3 months ago. The magic remote works sometimes while other times it doesn't do anything. Equally annoying is the "unknown device is disconnected" message which randomly appears in the top right corner of the screen. I've seen this message pop up over 20 times in half an hour! I've also tried all the suggestions in the following thread which hasn't fixed the issue:

Try putting new batteries into your remote. It will do funny things when the batteries need replacing.
That was the first thing I tried. I can't speak for everyone in those threads, but for many it's not related to the batteries in their remote, it's an issue with the TV.

If it's hardware related, the most likely part is the WiFi/Bluetooth module based on what I've read so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35342 of 35709 Old 04-03-2019, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Had my B7 for almost 2 years now and the picture still amazes me as much as it did when I first bought it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35343 of 35709 Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi !

I applied the sonoftubme setting on my brand new 65B7P and I still find that skin tone is somewhat a bit too colorful. Is there a better setting to get it right or it is the nature of a OLED panel to have more vivid colors ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35344 of 35709 Old 04-03-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omeyocan372 View Post
Hi !

I applied the sonoftubme setting on my brand new 65B7P and I still find that skin tone is somewhat a bit too colorful. Is there a better setting to get it right or it is the nature of a OLED panel to have more vivid colors ?
My personal experience is that until you have 200+ hours on your set, I wouldn't agonize over the finer details of your video settings. These sets take a little while to "settle in." Long before @sonoftumble published his excellent settings I used the Digital Video Essentials disc to adjust my video settings right out of the box. A couple hundred hours later I noticed that they had drifted a bit and had to be readjusted.

In addition to relying on others' settings (don't mean that in a negative way), you can download for free the AVS calibration patterns or buy the Digital Video Essentials disc for pretty cheap.

Good luck and enjoy. I've had my 65C7 for a couple of years now and still love it.
post #35345 of 35709 Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked: 2429
Quote:
Hi !

Hi Omeyocan,

When you say that skin tones look a "bit too colorful", would you say that they look like everyone has a sunburn or something else?? Also, what kind of content were/are you watching? SDR or HDR?

As @chad43 conveyed, you really do need to get a good number of hours on your B7 first before making any serious PQ evals.
Things will settle down quite a bit during the break-in period. That hot look you are experiencing now, may mellow out. The flesh tones may become unnoticeable; which is the desired result.

OLED colors will look more saturated because they produce infinite contrast with perfect blacks, so things will pop more - even with SDR content.

Thank you for any input.

John

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #35346 of 35709 Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6302 Post(s)
Liked: 6305
post #35347 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 05:44 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Did you use a credit card that add's 1 or 2 years of warranty?

Maybe, I'm pretty sure I bought it from you

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #35348 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I’ve been calibrating set and projectors using Calman for years and my B7 is the first display I didn’t feel the need to calibrate. It’s accurate out of the box. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a display where I didn’t change 1 setting. I use ISF bright and Dark for BD and cable. I make no changes. Bright for when my room is bright and dark for critical viewing. Sometimes I’ll use Technicolor.

For HDR10 Technicolor Epxert no changes. For Dolby Vision Cinema for dark room, I turn off the extra processing and same for Cinema Home. My B7 has a very slight red push which I actually prefer. I like a warmer greyscale.
post #35349 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad43 View Post
My personal experience is that until you have 200+ hours on your set, I wouldn't agonize over the finer details of your video settings. These sets take a little while to "settle in." Long before @sonoftumble published his excellent settings I used the Digital Video Essentials disc to adjust my video settings right out of the box. A couple hundred hours later I noticed that they had drifted a bit and had to be readjusted.

In addition to relying on others' settings (don't mean that in a negative way), you can download for free the AVS calibration patterns or buy the Digital Video Essentials disc for pretty cheap.

Good luck and enjoy. I've had my 65C7 for a couple of years now and still love it.

Thanks.
post #35350 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Hi Omeyocan,

When you say that skin tones look a "bit too colorful", would you say that they look like everyone has a sunburn or something else?? Also, what kind of content were/are you watching? SDR or HDR?

As @chad43 conveyed, you really do need to get a good number of hours on your B7 first before making any serious PQ evals.
Things will settle down quite a bit during the break-in period. That hot look you are experiencing now, may mellow out. The flesh tones may become unnoticeable; which is the desired result.

OLED colors will look more saturated because they produce infinite contrast with perfect blacks, so things will pop more - even with SDR content.

Thank you for any input.

John

I used to watch SDR content over the cable. Also, my old TV was a Sharp Acuos Quattron LCD LED 46" and since it was an LCD, the skin tones were near perfect. I'm aware that an OLED panel produces more vivid colors and therefore the skin tones look more pinky or like baby skin. I already applied the settings and I will let them like that until I get a good number of hours, like you said. See what happens after that. Nonetheless, I love this TV. I really enjoying it so far. Great size too.

Thanks
post #35351 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 134
You’re probably used to the paler and duller colors of LCD. OLED’s are far more accurate at producing skin tones. First thing I did after setting up my B7 was check out a New Hope Blu-ray. I was taken back by how much more accurate and realistic skin tones look. I still marvel at how much better everything looks.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #35352 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just got informed that LG approved my warranty repair since I had a ticket open in September and never had time to get them all the information needed since I travel between homes and the ticket was open prior to warranty expiring. So, lucky in that regard.

They also approved the repair as on them which is for really bad banding(which I didn’t think was that bad until I got a 55B8 and realized my 65B7 was worse than I thought.)

So, for those who have the screen replaced, is that a whole new unit or is that literally a screen being remove and a new one being replaced in the home? They are coming to the house and curious what the actual replacement process is. Will it start at zero hours again?

post #35353 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaClone View Post
Just got informed that LG approved my warranty repair since I had a ticket open in September and never had time to get them all the information needed since I travel between homes and the ticket was open prior to warranty expiring. So, lucky in that regard.

They also approved the repair as on them which is for really bad banding(which I didn’t think was that bad until I got a 55B8 and realized my 65B7 was worse than I thought.)

So, for those who have the screen replaced, is that a whole new unit or is that literally a screen being remove and a new one being replaced in the home? They are coming to the house and curious what the actual replacement process is. Will it start at zero hours again?

I've had two screens (only) replaced - and both for burn in. And they didn't reset the hours to zero.
All of my settings, by the way, remained in tact.
TexaClone likes this.
post #35354 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 424
This question might seem a bit odd. But on the 7 series oleds , if you do a separate setting on hdmi 1 sdr,hdr,Dolby vision and after each save to all inputs does this eliminate the need to repeat the same process on hdmi 2,3,and 4 just want to be sure thanks.
post #35355 of 35709 Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
This question might seem a bit odd. But on the 7 series oleds , if you do a separate setting on hdmi 1 sdr,hdr,Dolby vision and after each save to all inputs does this eliminate the need to repeat the same process on hdmi 2,3,and 4 just want to be sure thanks.
Yes!!
OddyOh and ynnek63 like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #35356 of 35709 Old 04-05-2019, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Yes!!
Great 👍 thanks
post #35357 of 35709 Old 04-05-2019, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Great 👍 thanks
However, there are 3 separate "apply to all inputs". The main page has adjustments for items like OLED Light, Contrast etc and when you get to the bottom of that page there is an option to apply to all inputs. When you go into expert controls and then into white balance there is a separate apply to all inputs at the bottom of that menu. When you go into expert controls and then into color management there is a third apply to all inputs at the bottom of that menu. I do not believe that any of the apply to all inputs works for "picture options" however.
OddyOh, william06 and sonoftumble like this.
post #35358 of 35709 Old 04-05-2019, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation66 View Post
I've had two screens (only) replaced - and both for burn in. And they didn't reset the hours to zero.
All of my settings, by the way, remained in tact.

And mine did not remain when my burn-in replacement was done, so your mileage may vary... they told me (LG Support, when I questioned it afterwards) it was required to do a full reset which also cleared the hour counter.
TexaClone likes this.
post #35359 of 35709 Old 04-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
And mine did not remain when my burn-in replacement was done, so your mileage may vary... they told me (LG Support, when I questioned it afterwards) it was required to do a full reset which also cleared the hour counter.

Seems like it all depends on who you talk to at Lg when it comes to resetting. I had my panel replaced recently and when I saw that it hadn't been reset I phoned Lg to ask the question because I was concerned that my counter was nearing the 3600 mark at the time and nearing another automatic system pixel refresh. I was told it didn't matter so it just shows that the left hand at Lg doesn't know what the right hand is up to and the loser continues to be the consumer who is left wondering . My refresh comes in the next 2 weeks so hoping nothing comes of not having it reset.
Nation66 likes this.
post #35360 of 35709 Old 04-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation66 View Post
If you have a 55" model, that's a problem of what is called the "look-up table." I had that, and that along with burn in allowed be to get a new screen free of charge.
However, that problem alone can be fixed in your home by an LG tech, and at no charge.
My 65" had the same problem and the repairman told me he sees a lot but the repair was replacement of my screen so go figure!
Nation66 likes this.
post #35361 of 35709 Old 04-05-2019, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
I used to watch SDR content over the cable. Also, my old TV was a Sharp Acuos Quattron LCD LED 46" and since it was an LCD, the skin tones were near perfect. I'm aware that an OLED panel produces more vivid colors and therefore the skin tones look more pinky or like baby skin. I already applied the settings and I will let them like that until I get a good number of hours, like you said. See what happens after that. Nonetheless, I love this TV. I really enjoying it so far. Great size too.
Thanks
I thought the same about flesh tones when I first got my 65B7. A couple of hundred hours and I applied Sonoftumble's DV profile and suggested setting.
I don't see that anymore... at least not consistently. I do find that there is a considerable amount of differences in source material. Sometimes, depending on lighting and the mastering, I get more pink/sunburned coloration. But that is the way it was mastered and transferred. It is great for the most part. I see skin tones with the ability to see ruddy complexions or makeup details that I did not see with my Plasma.

Do give it some time to break in, but realize that we are all limited by the source.

BTW, being an LCD really has no bearing on accurate skin tones... or any colors. I have seen some really bad ones.
sonoftumble and cathodeRay like this.

Last edited by ppasteur; 04-05-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #35362 of 35709 Old 04-06-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
I thought the same about flesh tones when I first got my 65B7. A couple of hundred hours and I applied Sonoftumble's DV profile and suggested setting.
I don't see that anymore... at least not consistently. I do find that there is a considerable amount of differences in source material. Sometimes, depending on lighting and the mastering, I get more pink/sunburned coloration. But that is the way it was mastered and transferred. It is great for the most part. I see skin tones with the ability to see ruddy complexions or makeup details that I did not see with my Plasma.

Do give it some time to break in, but realize that we are all limited by the source.

BTW, being an LCD really has no bearing on accurate skin tones... or any colors. I have seen some really bad ones.
IMO, the biggest offender when it comes to flesh tone impingement are the makeup people for the local news.
cathodeRay likes this.

post #35363 of 35709 Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone has trouble with Dolby Vision being far too dark? Using SonOfTumbles recommended settings and there are times when it just seems like “the lights are off” in a scene and then they suddenly turn on and realize that something was wrong with the picture the whole time.

Sabrina on Netflix is almost unwatchable at times. I know it’s a dark show but there’s definitely something wrong.
post #35364 of 35709 Old 04-07-2019, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
Anyone has trouble with Dolby Vision being far too dark? Using SonOfTumbles recommended settings and there are times when it just seems like “the lights are off” in a scene and then they suddenly turn on and realize that something was wrong with the picture the whole time.

Sabrina on Netflix is almost unwatchable at times. I know it’s a dark show but there’s definitely something wrong.
I had this watching Lost in Space last year. It was clear everyone in a particular episode was looking at something on the wall of a cave. I couldn't see what they were seeing.
So I turned up "OLED Light" from 50 to 70 until I could see it. I was amazed at how much I'd been missing in dark scenes in all sorts of programs!

Don't touch Brightness and Contrast especially if you've calibrated but OLED Light is up for grabs and a matter of personal taste.

LG OLED B7 TV
Denon X3500H AVR
Dali 5.1.2 Speakers
Sony X700 UHD Blu-ray player
post #35365 of 35709 Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve recently used sonoftumble!s most recent settings and they are absolutely amazing on my 65g7p. Just wow. Just a reminder he did offer 3 different OLED light settings depending on your room light conditions. Thanks sot for sharing.
TexaClone likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic ubp9000
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba X1 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #35366 of 35709 Old 04-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-a-r-k View Post
Quote:

I had this watching Lost in Space last year. It was clear everyone in a particular episode was looking at something on the wall of a cave. I couldn't see what they were seeing.
So I turned up "OLED Light" from 50 to 70 until I could see it. I was amazed at how much I'd been missing in dark scenes in all sorts of programs!

Don't touch Brightness and Contrast especially if you've calibrated but OLED Light is up for grabs and a matter of personal taste.
Well I got the OLED Light at 85.

The problem is independent of my settings. It’s as if the picture is extremely dark then suddenly gets much brighter. Automatically. You would think it would be ABL but the scene was never very bright to begin with, which is why the “darkness” is noticeable and eye-straining.

(No energy-saving features are on. Using Cinema(user) mode)
post #35367 of 35709 Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

The show is stupidly dark even in SDR, but I found it almost unwatchable on my C7s internal Netflix app. I ended up buying an ATV4k, and it's been a notable improvement. Still very dark, though.
post #35368 of 35709 Old 04-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
Quote:

The show is stupidly dark even in SDR, but I found it almost unwatchable on my C7s internal Netflix app. I ended up buying an ATV4k, and it's been a notable improvement. Still very dark, though.
I’m using an Apple TV 4K.
post #35369 of 35709 Old 04-07-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Quote:

Many shows these days are using “natural light” so they are much much darker than in the past. I’d suggest some shows (like Ozark, GoT, etc) are best watched in a light controlled room or at night.
post #35370 of 35709 Old 04-07-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Quote:

Many shows these days are using “natural light” so they are much much darker than in the past. I’d suggest some shows (like Ozark, GoT, etc) are best watched in a light controlled room or at night.
My room is light controlled and I am watching at night. I don’t see what that has to do with this Dolby Vision glitch.
Nation66 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page