2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980524Likes

post #35401 of 36728 Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
I thought the Apple TV also already used the low latency profile, and as far as I know it works with the 2016 LGs. It seems more likely the 60Hz DV output would be a problem since the 2016 only supports 30Hz DV. The dedicated DV chip is probably just too slow for any more in the 2016 LGs and the other 2016 (and some 2017) models from other companies.
From my testing, the ATV will not use low latency DV with LG TVs. The only way I could get it do so with my B7A was to use an HDfury device to trick the ATV into thinking it was connected to a Sony TV instead of my LG.
giomania likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35402 of 36728 Old 04-14-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Will our TVs be affected?

New version of Dolby Vision confirmed:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1554791122
I don't think this is any new version of Dolby Vision; low-latency DV has been around for a while and both Oppo and Panasonic have implemented it in their UHD disc players in order to get DV to Sony TVs. It is news in that XBox appears to be using it exclusively.

You have no choice of player-led (low-latency) vs TV-led DV in the Panasonic, it decides based on what the TV reports to the player. But the Oppo allows you to force one or the other. Both player-led (low-latency) and TV-led DV from the Oppo work with 2017+ LG OLEDs.

Other than the Oppo, I know of no other player that will allow you to choose whether to use player-led (low-latency) or TV-led Dolby Vision. The player (other than the XBox) will choose which version depending on the connected TV model. TV-led seems to be the default unless a TV specifically reports to the player that it prefers or requires player-led (low-latency).
giomania likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 04-14-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #35403 of 36728 Old 04-14-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6864 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1000 View Post
I believe I remember reading several pages back of a forum member who has gone through three panel replacements. I had one myself. Mine had very few hours and it became terrible and the repairman said he is seeing a lot with the panels darker on one side than the other, which was my problem. My new panel is good so far, but I did buy an extended warranty after he told me how much just to replace the panel costs! It seems it may be a look-up table problem but LG replaced the panel, so I hope it doesn't show up again but I'm covered if it does.
Extended warranties do make you feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35404 of 36728 Old 04-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Alternative HDR Game Mode Settings

I think I've found something that no one seems to have realized. It's nowhere in this entire thread and Rtings haven't noted it.

As known, it can be really annoying how some HDR content in Game HDR mode looks substantially dimmer than Cinema HDR mode can while Active HDR is on (Active HDR = Dynamic Contrast set to low). Game mode has a very minimal input latency. Under high precision PC gaming it feels great even when side by side with a 1ms TN panel.

I have found when using "Home Theater" HDMI label for HDR content using "Cinema Home" and disabling all processing elements can produce a similar low input lag... while Active HDR10 is on (Dynamic Contrast Low). What seems to be causing most of the lag is when Real Cinema is ON, which can't be disabled in the Cinema mode. That setting introduced tons of lag.

For SDR, the same applies to the Technicolor Expert mode which is the only option outside of Game Mode that lets you disable Real Cinema.

Performance doesn't seem to be quiiiite as fast as Game Mode or "PC" input icon mode, but it's definitely acceptable and far better than the poor looking Game mode and default input lag.

Another oddity is that when comparing HDR console titles with HDR PC titles, PC titles are almost always brighter, even in HDR Game mode. Here are titles I've noticed:

PS4 PRO:
Horizon Zero Dawn (Game Mode HDR, relatively dim)
Spiderman (Game Mode HDR, Relatively dim).
The Last of Us (Game Mode, very dim to the point of being disappointing. Active HDR dramatically increases ABL. Controls are super acceptable with custom Home Cinema settings and Active HDR enabled).

Xbox One X:
Forza 4 (Game Mode HDR, relatively dim)

RTX 2080 Ti PC:
Forza 4 (Game Mode HDR looks amazing, active HDR rarely increases ABL (Average Brightness Level).
Farcry 5 (Game HDR looks amazing - probably the best.. not even compelled to tinker with Active HDR it looks so contrasty.
Assassins Creed Odyssey (Game HDR, amazing)

Has anyone been able to test the input response changes between all menu settings with a Leo Bodnar tool?

Displays: LG 65" C7 | LG 34UM95 | LG 27UD88 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz | DELL S2240m
Sound: Yamaha HS7's | Onkyo TX-NR 646 5.1.2 | Klipsch RP-280f, RP-450c, RP-140sa, R-51m
Custom PC: i9-9900x, RTX 2080Ti, Mastercase SL600m
Blu-ray Player: Sony UBP-X800

Last edited by JustaPlacebo; 04-14-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added SDR note
post #35405 of 36728 Old 04-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 72
PCs send 1000nit metadata to the tv which is why it’s brighter, since the EOTF tracking is accurate until it rolls off when it gets closer to 1000 nits. Game consoles send no metadata, so the tv assumes 10000 nits and the dimmer EOTF is applied.

Cinema home has also had less input lag (around 60ms) than the other accurate modes, but I’m not sure changing the input to home theater would make it any lower.
gamermwm likes this.
post #35406 of 36728 Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
PCs send 1000nit metadata to the tv which is why it’s brighter, since the EOTF tracking is accurate until it rolls off when it gets closer to 1000 nits. Game consoles send no metadata, so the tv assumes 10000 nits and the dimmer EOTF is applied.

Cinema home has also had less input lag (around 60ms) than the other accurate modes, but I’m not sure changing the input to home theater would make it any lower.
Ahh, okay, nice.. makes sense!

I was only taking care to cite this was in the Home Theatre input mode because many folks seem to rely on PC input for SDR and HDR content. But I've noticed that HDR does not display properly in PC input mode (slightly washed out & introduced banding), even though the input latency for games is fast across the board under PC input. Also, for HDR movie watching in PC input, settings like Real Cinema are greyed out. Because I watch movie as much as games, I just stay in Home Theatre mode and live with the quirks like locked Wide color gamut in SDR game mode... ugh.

Sound: Yamaha HS7's | Onkyo TX-NR 646 5.1.2 | Klipsch RP-280f, RP-450c, RP-140sa, R-51m
post #35407 of 36728 Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaPlacebo View Post
Ahh, okay, nice.. makes sense!
But I've noticed that HDR does not display properly in PC input mode (slightly washed out & introduced banding), even though the input latency for games is fast across the board under PC input.
PC mode is primarily for making text more readable. PC mode enables 4:4:4 chroma (colour and luminance is sent at the same resolution) which means that you eliminate colour fringing on detailed, high-contrast picture elements (like text). This exceeds the bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0 when used in conjunction with 4K, 10-bit colour at 60Hz. The TV falls back to 8-bit colour, hence the banding in HDR mode.
gamermwm likes this.
post #35408 of 36728 Old 04-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
Quote:
I think I've found something that no one seems to have realized. It's nowhere in this entire thread and Rtings haven't noted it.

As known, it can be really annoying how some HDR content in Game HDR mode looks substantially dimmer than Cinema HDR mode can while Active HDR is on (Active HDR = Dynamic Contrast set to low). Game mode has a very minimal input latency. Under high precision PC gaming it feels great even when side by side with a 1ms TN panel.

I have found when using "Home Theater" HDMI label for HDR content using "Cinema Home" and disabling all processing elements can produce a similar low input lag... while Active HDR10 is on (Dynamic Contrast Low). What seems to be causing most of the lag is when Real Cinema is ON, which can't be disabled in the Cinema mode. That setting introduced tons of lag.

For SDR, the same applies to the Technicolor Expert mode which is the only option outside of Game Mode that lets you disable Real Cinema.

Performance doesn't seem to be quiiiite as fast as Game Mode or "PC" input icon mode, but it's definitely acceptable and far better than the poor looking Game mode and default input lag.

Another oddity is that when comparing HDR console titles with HDR PC titles, PC titles are almost always brighter, even in HDR Game mode. Here are titles I've noticed:

PS4 PRO:

The Last of Us (Game Mode, very dim to the point of being disappointing. Active HDR dramatically increases ABL. Controls are super acceptable with custom Home Cinema settings and Active HDR enabled).

Xbox One X:

RTX 2080 Ti PC:

Forza 4 (Game Mode HDR looks amazing, active HDR rarely increases ABL (Average Brightness Level).

Farcry 5 (Game HDR looks amazing - probably the best.. not even compelled to tinker with Active HDR it looks so contrasty.

Has anyone been able to test the input response changes between all menu settings with a Leo Bodnar tool?
I can do it later tonight but only up to 1080p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
JustaPlacebo likes this.

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 77C9, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
Panasonic 50VT25, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2, Sony 34XBR970, Apple Studio Monitor 21"
post #35409 of 36728 Old 04-15-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I recently upgraded my receiver from an older Onkyo TX-NR708 to a TX-RZ830. Prior to the upgrade, ARC worked flawlessly between the TV and the older receiver. With the new receiver, it seems to work intermittently at best (and once it's not working, it seems to generally take a full power cycle of one of the components to work again). I realize ARC is a notoriously flaky but am surprised that I'm having trouble with a new receiver from the same vendor that was previously working with this TV. Has anyone ran into this and have any guidance/suggestions? I'll likely just end up running the TOSlink, but I'm hoping there might be some setting I have wrong on one end or the other.
post #35410 of 36728 Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDNick484 View Post
I recently upgraded my receiver from an older Onkyo TX-NR708 to a TX-RZ830. Prior to the upgrade, ARC worked flawlessly between the TV and the older receiver. With the new receiver, it seems to work intermittently at best (and once it's not working, it seems to generally take a full power cycle of one of the components to work again). I realize ARC is a notoriously flaky but am surprised that I'm having trouble with a new receiver from the same vendor that was previously working with this TV. Has anyone ran into this and have any guidance/suggestions? I'll likely just end up running the TOSlink, but I'm hoping there might be some setting I have wrong on one end or the other.
Besides making sure that all CEC functions are enabled on the Onkyo and that you use a good High Speed HDMI cable, there is not much else that you can do, besides hoping for better firmware on both devices.
post #35411 of 36728 Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Been trying to use Now TV on my B7 (no prizes for guessing why...). Seemed to install OK and looks functional until I try to log in and it says can't load login page, try later.
Of course I have been trying even during the day when I assume their servers are quieter.

Android app works fine on various devices.

Anyone else having problems with this TV app? I tried uninstalling and installing again.
Thanks

LG OLED B7 TV
Denon X3500H AVR
Dali 5.1.2 Speakers
Sony X700 UHD Blu-ray player
post #35412 of 36728 Old 04-18-2019, 11:45 AM

C9 vs C7

Anyone get a chance to compare C9 with C7?
aypues likes this.

post #35413 of 36728 Old 04-19-2019, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Anyone get a chance to compare C9 with C7?
They talk about 7-8-9 comparisons here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...rice-talk.html
post #35414 of 36728 Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Red face LG OLED65C7P FW: 05.80.15 - Revision: Easter 2019

LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 05.80.15 - ( CALIBRATION REV. Easter 2019 )

HAPPY EASTER!

The settings below are ALL NEW and vary from slight updates to more than slight.

At this point, I'm thinking that our 7 series OLEDS are probably approaching 3,000 to over 4,000 hours of viewing time. My C7 has 4,000+ hours on it, and is our everyday workhorse. Recently, I noticed that blue had fallen off, so I decided to fully recalibrate SDR - [technicolor Expert], Dolby Vision - [Cinema (User)], and slightly updated HDR10/HLG [technicolor Expert].
Here are the new settings in all their glory. They may help "resurrect" the picture quality of your 7 series. ( Sorry for the Easter themed play on words ).

Dolby Vision notes: This new "Easter '19" Dolby Vision calibration looks the best so far. There is better lower and mid-range luminance performance which further helps with eliminating the “darker” look of the “Cinema (User)” picture mode, while still providing all those spectral highlights. The colors look much more natural now as well.

The Calman “DV custom" workflow allows the calibrator to create a special file just for 2017 LG OLED’s, which is saved to a thumb drive and then loaded into the TV. Spectracal, Dolby, and LG worked very closely together to create this awesome workflow.

NOTE: Below, I have written a quick "how to" with instructions for making your own DV calibration file. This way you can install without needing to PM me for the file. Over the last several months, I have received literally 100's of requests for this file, and it has become a bit too much to manage and also juggle things with my day job. So, if you are somewhat computer savvy and know how to create a plain text file, you should not have any problems cooking your own DV calibration file. If you still need me to send the new file, feel free to PM me with your email address, and I will send it off. Just trying to lighten the load a bit.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION: I am really enjoying the new settings. The thing that strikes me the most is how SDR almost takes on the characteristics of HDR.
-----------------
SDR Settings
SDR Picture Mode:  “technicolor Expert”
Energy Saving: Off

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT:  45 ( med bright viewing environment )
Contrast:  85
Brightness: 53
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint:  0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

WHITE BALANCE
Color Temperature: Warm2

Method: 2 Points
Low - R: -5, G: -5, B: 0
High - R: -9 G: -3, B: 4

Method: 20 Points - (NOTE: I skipped the 5% increments with SDR as it was not necessary in order to achieve almost perfect white balance behavior ).
100 IRE, R: -5, G: 1, B: 0
90 IRE R: -7, G: -2, B: -4
80 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
70 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
60 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
50 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
40 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
30 IRE R:-4, G: -4, B: -3
20 IRE R: 0, G: -2, B: -4
10 IRE R: 3, G: 4, B: 0

COLOR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
RED Sat -1, Tint 7,  Lum -9
GREEN Sat -2, Tint 10, Lum -2
BLUE Sat 1, Tint 4, Lum 0
CYAN Sat 3, Tint 7, Lum 1
MAGENTA Sat 0, Tint 1, Lum -1
YELLOW Sat -1, Tint -1, Lum -2

ISF OLED LIGHT SUGGESTED SETTINGS - SDR - LG OLED 7 SERIES PANELS
BRIGHT ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 49 = TV Foot Lumens of 55 ( Range 50-60 )
DIM ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 36 = TV Foot Lumens of 45 ( Range 40-50 )
DARK ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 25 = TV Foot Lumens of 35 ( Range 30-40 )

---------------------
HDR10 Settings
HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 85 (Default: 100) -- This setting will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. The 85 setting seems to be a “happy" medium, but there's also eye comfort levels to consider.
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 55
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )

WHITE BALANCE
High - R: 1, G: -1, B: -2
Low - R: -7 G: -4, B: 11

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

------------------
DOLBY VISION
Dolby Vision Picture Mode - Cinema (User)
OLED LIGHT: 55
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Super Resolution - Off
Edge Enhancer - On
Color Filter - Off
Gamma 2.2 - (Default - Greyed Out)

High R: -7, G: 0, B: 9
Low R: 3, G: -3, B: 3

Method: 20 Points
100 IRE R: 0, G: 1, B: -4
95 IRE R: -2, G: -4, B: -6
90 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -6
85 IRE R: -3, G: -6, B: -4
80 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -5
75 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8
70 IRE R: -7, G: -6, B: -8
65 IRE R: -9, G: -9, B: -9
60 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8
55 IRE: -15, G: -12, B: -16
50 IRE R: -15, G: -11, B: -16
45 IRE R: -14, G: -13, B: -16
40 IRE R: -6, G: -7, B: -8
35 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -8
30 IRE R: 10, G: 9, B: 8
25 IRE R: 17, G: 17, B: 16
20 IRE R: 22, G: 22, B: 23
15 IRE R: 21, G: 22, B: 22
10 IRE R: 19, G: 21, B: 21
5 IRE R: 11 G: 14, B: 12

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Low
MPEG Noise Reduction: Low

------------------
THE DOLBY VISION CALIBRATION FILE

1) Create a plain text file and name it as follows WITHOUT the "quotes":

"DolbyVision_UserDisplayConfiguration.txt"

2) Copy the following and paste into the newly created text file. Be certain to REMOVE the "quotes":

"# Dolby Vision User Display Configuration File
# Generated by 5.9.2.59 on 3/19/2019
# Display: Unspecified
# DM Version:
PictureMode = 2
Tmax = 759.590301184834
Tmin = 1E-11
Tgamma = 2.2
ColorPrimaries = 0.6776 0.3223 0.2604 0.6666 0.1422 0.0556 0.3127 0.3290
TLMS2RGBmat = 4.19055329601013 -3.3243228097014 0.133769513691273 -0.92778533729114 2.08407932269406 -0.156293985402918 0.0691538802229898 -0.155635576827132 1.08648169660414"

3) Save and copy the file to a blank thumb drive that has been formatted as "FAT32".

4) To install, start by playing Dolby Vision content on the TV, and ( IMPORTANT ) set the picture mode to “Cinema” and NOT "Cinema (Home)”.
Next, plug in the thumb drive into USB port on the side of the TV. (Make certain that there is nothing on the thumb drive but that file. No folders, etc.) You may have to go into the Photos & Video prompt, and then close ( X ) it out in order for the TV to recognize the DV calibration file. In fact, I finally yanked out the stick - plugged it back in - and then finally got the prompt from the TV. If you still have problems getting the TV to recognize the file, you might try power cycling the TV. Finally, several of our other members told me that they had good results after formatting the thumb drive as a FAT32 Master Boot Record.

Once the TV recognizes the file, you will be asked if you would like to install it. Answer "Yes" and less than a second later ( it's a very small < 1K ) the file is loaded.

The TV will then respond that the next time you load Dolby Vision content, it will load the new settings. And you are done.

Eject the thumb drive and enjoy.
lax01, BdoUK, BPlayer and 13 others like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700

Last edited by sonoftumble; 04-20-2019 at 11:29 AM.
post #35415 of 36728 Old 04-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 05.80.15 - ( CALIBRATION REV. Easter 2019 )

HAPPY EASTER!

The settings below are ALL NEW and vary from slight updates to more than slight.

At this point, I'm thinking that our 7 series OLEDS are probably approaching 3,000 to over 4,000 hours of viewing time. My C7 has 4,000+ hours on it, and is our everyday workhorse. Recently, I noticed that blue had fallen off, so I decided to fully recalibrate SDR - [technicolor Expert], Dolby Vision - [Cinema (User)], and slightly updated HDR10/HLG [technicolor Expert].
Here are the new settings in all their glory. They may help "resurrect" the picture quality of your 7 series. ( Sorry for the Easter themed play on words ).

Dolby Vision notes: This new "Easter '19" Dolby Vision calibration looks the best so far. There is better lower and mid-range luminance performance which further helps with eliminating the “darker” look of the “Cinema (User)” picture mode, while still providing all those spectral highlights. The colors look much more natural now as well.

The Calman “DV custom" workflow allows the calibrator to create a special file just for 2017 LG OLED’s, which is saved to a thumb drive and then loaded into the TV. Spectracal, Dolby, and LG worked very closely together to create this awesome workflow.

NOTE: Below, I have written a quick "how to" with instructions for making your own DV calibration file. This way you can install without needing to PM me for the file. Over the last several months, I have received literally 100's of requests for this file, and it has become a bit too much to manage and also juggle things with my day job. So, if you are somewhat computer savvy and know how to create a plain text file, you should not have any problems cooking your own DV calibration file. If you still need me to send the new file, feel free to PM me with your email address, and I will send it off. Just trying to lighten the load a bit.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION: I am really enjoying the new settings. The thing that strikes me the most is how SDR almost takes on the characteristics of HDR.
-----------------
SDR Settings

BASIC SETTINGS:

EXPERT CONTROLS
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

WHITE BALANCE

Method: 20 Points - (NOTE: I skipped the 5% increments with SDR as it was not necessary in order to achieve almost perfect white balance behavior ).

COLOR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

BRIGHT ROOM:
DIM ROOM:
DARK ROOM:

---------------------
HDR10 Settings

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 85 (Default: 100) -- This setting will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. The 85 setting seems to be a “happy" medium, but there's also eye comfort levels to consider.

EXPERT CONTROLS

WHITE BALANCE

PICTURE OPTIONS

------------------
DOLBY VISION
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Super Resolution - Off
Edge Enhancer - On
Color Filter - Off

55 R: -15, G: -12, B: -16

PICTURE OPTIONS

------------------

2) Copy the following and paste into the newly created text file. Be certain to REMOVE the "quotes":

# DM Version:
PictureMode = 2
Tmax = 759.590301184834
Tmin = 1E-11
Tgamma = 2.2
TLMS2RGBmat = 4.19055329601013 -3.3243228097014 0.133769513691273 -0.92778533729114 2.08407932269406 -0.156293985402918 0.0691538802229898 -0.155635576827132 1.08648169660414"

3) Save and copy the file to a blank thumb drive that has been formatted as "FAT32".

4) To install, start by playing Dolby Vision content on the TV, and ( IMPORTANT ) set the picture mode to “Cinema” and NOT "Cinema (Home)”.
Next, plug in the thumb drive into USB port on the side of the TV. (Make certain that there is nothing on the thumb drive but that file. No folders, etc.) You may have to go into the Photos & Video prompt, and then close ( X ) it out in order for the TV to recognize the DV calibration file. In fact, I finally yanked out the stick - plugged it back in - and then finally got the prompt from the TV. If you still have problems getting the TV to recognize the file, you might try power cycling the TV. Finally, several of our other members told me that they had good results after formatting the thumb drive as a FAT32 Master Boot Record.

Once the TV recognizes the file, you will be asked if you would like to install it. Answer "Yes" and less than a second later ( it's a very small < 1K ) the file is loaded.

The TV will then respond that the next time you load Dolby Vision content, it will load the new settings. And you are done.

Question: Do you recommend this new calibration for a 65C7 that has much fewer hours (I'm guessing 1200-1500 hours)? I am using your previous calibration and picture still looks outstanding to my eyes. Thank you!
post #35416 of 36728 Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOut View Post
Question: Do you recommend this new calibration for a 65C7 that has much fewer hours (I'm guessing 1200-1500 hours)? I am using your previous calibration and picture still looks outstanding to my eyes. Thank you!
Great question and the answer is: I'm not sure . . .

The previous calibration was performed on my much "younger" C7, and the picture still looked great at 4,000 hours even though the pre-calibration scan indicated that things had changed. There's really no way to calibrate our eyes, just like it's impossible to get the surround sound channel levels correct without a microphone or DB meter. On top of that, our 7 series OLED's are flat out so fantastic in picture quality, that unless something is really off, it's going to look great regardless.

Also, I'm not sure if it is age related - as it's quite possible that my meter's profiling was done with an older, less accurate reference colorimeter. This time around, I used a newer much more accurate colorimeter which helped with getting the 100% white point spot on - which has an impact on everything throughout the workflow.

Finally, the DV adjustments were fairly minor compared to the previous calibration from last Labor Day. Because of that it's pretty much impossible to pin it down.

The good news is that there are two options on the SDR side and it won't hurt your TV. For sure I would definitely do the Dolby Vision and HDR10 updates.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #35417 of 36728 Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:

HAPPY EASTER!

-----------------
SDR Settings

BASIC SETTINGS:

EXPERT CONTROLS

WHITE BALANCE

COLOR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

BRIGHT ROOM:
DIM ROOM:
DARK ROOM:

---------------------
HDR10 Settings

BASIC SETTINGS:

EXPERT CONTROLS

WHITE BALANCE

PICTURE OPTIONS

------------------
DOLBY VISION
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Super Resolution - Off
Edge Enhancer - On
Color Filter - Off

55 IRE: -15, G: -12, B: -16

PICTURE OPTIONS

------------------

# DM Version:
PictureMode = 2
Tmax = 759.590301184834
Tmin = 1E-11
Tgamma = 2.2

Thanks sonoftumble, i have 4600 hrs on my C7, just basically copied your settings and it looked great as usual, by the way loading you DOLBY VISION CALIBRATION FILE onto my C7 was a success after 1st try, kudos to your excellent guide.

LG OLED65C7P
SAMSUNG 4K
ATV4K

Last edited by Vince2008; 04-20-2019 at 12:13 PM.
post #35418 of 36728 Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

The previous calibration was performed on my much "younger" C7, and the picture still looked great at 4,000 hours even though the pre-calibration scan indicated that things had changed. There's really no way to calibrate our eyes, just like it's impossible to get the surround sound channel levels correct without a microphone or DB meter. On top of that, our 7 series OLED's are flat out so fantastic in picture quality, that unless something is really off, it's going to look great regardless.

Also, I'm not sure if it is age related - as it's quite possible that my meter's profiling was done with an older, less accurate reference colorimeter. This time around, I used a newer much more accurate colorimeter which helped with getting the 100% white point spot on - which has an impact on everything throughout the workflow.

Finally, the DV adjustments were fairly minor compared to the previous calibration from last Labor Day. Because of that it's pretty much impossible to pin it down.

The good news is that there are two options on the SDR side and it won't hurt your TV. For sure I would definitely do the Dolby Vision and HDR10 updates.
Just loaded all the new settings, and WOW, I didn't think the picture could get any better but it did!! Thanks so much for the updates.
gamermwm and sonoftumble like this.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
post #35419 of 36728 Old 04-20-2019, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

<..snip...>
<...snip...>
That's OK. I'll just Passover that play on words and head straight to the settings... (Sorry, couldn't resist... )
gamermwm and sonoftumble like this.
post #35420 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Nearly there. DV calibration file loaded like a charm. Done with SDR and DV. Cannot seem to find any HDR/HDR10 content (have Netflix 4k and Amazon Prime, and Oppo UDP-203). Suggestions for HDR/HDR10 content to use for the calibration? Thanks again!
post #35421 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 3177
Quote:
Nearly there. DV calibration file loaded like a charm. Done with SDR and DV. Cannot seem to find any HDR/HDR10 content (have Netflix 4k and Amazon Prime, and Oppo UDP-203). Suggestions for HDR/HDR10 content to use for the calibration? Thanks again!
Bosch on Amazon Prime. Just make sure you pick the UHD version. You’ll see the HDR symbol pop up in the top right corner.
sonoftumble likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #35422 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How does one remove the DV profile? It really messed up my image, as did the calibration settings (that I already reset).
Highlihgts were extremely crushed, image desaturated... not terrible if one had no reference, but when flicking between Cinema Home and Cinema it was clear that Cinema Home was superior in every way and I could tell rightaway something has gone bad.

EDIT: Figured it out, so for future reference if anyone needs it - you reinsert the drive containing the userconfig and there will be a new "restore factory" option. I had serious trouble getting the popup, it seems that I was able to load the profile by inserting the drive while DV content was playing, but this didn't work afterwards. I had to start playing DV content _after_ the drive was inserted and then it took perhaps 5 seconds for the popup to appear.

In any case, all is well on my set now. Not sure why those settings made the picture look so bad here, maybe a very different batch of screens. Mine is a 11/2017 set bought in the Czech Republic, C7V, not sure how many hours since I managed to perform an IN-STOP by accident, probably 3000h+.

Last edited by zviratko; 04-21-2019 at 06:21 AM.
post #35423 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another HDR10 Prime title is the UHD version of "The Grand Tour".

post #35424 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
SonOfTumble:
Thank you; done.
The tiniest nits:
1) For HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert; Picture Options; Black Level: Low is in prescription, however, mine is greyed out and shows Auto.
2) DV OLED LIGHT is now 55, where it was 70 in the Rev. 3.5 - Sept. 2 2018 calibration, which I'm now used to and dialing it down to 55 is a big change that I'll have to get used to, so perhaps I'll dial it back to 65 for now and then step my way down to 55 with time...
Thanks for your community service!
post #35425 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I haven't looked at calibrations since September. A couple of points. When doing the white balance I want to confirm that it is the outer not the inner settings I am adjusting. I now have additional settings in white balance under the 20 points IRE. At the 100 IRE I have a target luminance of which is set to 130 and do not recall seeing that before. I can't recall but am wondering if this is a new setting from a firmware update to the TV since September. I also have adjusting luminance values for each IRE which I have left at 0.

A couple of other points. the previous poster asked about black level being auto for, I believe, HDR. I find the same using the internal apps so I set the low value using an HDR disc input through my Oppo 203.

Finally. I had trouble loading the DV calibration file using Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime. I tried re-formatting and all of the other tricks suggested in the post. No luck. However, when I inserted the USB using a DV disc input through my Oppo 203 the settings pop-up came up immediately.
post #35426 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SonOfTumble:
Thank you; done.
The tiniest nits:
1) For HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert; Picture Options; Black Level: Low is in prescription, however, mine is greyed out and shows Auto.
2) DV OLED LIGHT is now 55, where it was 70 in the Rev. 3.5 - Sept. 2 2018 calibration, which I'm now used to and dialing it down to 55 is a big change that I'll have to get used to, so perhaps I'll dial it back to 65 for now and then step my way down to 55 with time...
Thanks for your community service!
1) I was not able to find any combo of settings that might cause the Black Level to show an "Auto" mode. My choices are either "Low" or "High", and the same goes for SDR content using the technicolor Expert picture mode. So I am at a loss as to why your TV is behaving differently. Perhaps a factory reset is in order. I realize that is a PIA, but it did clear up some anomalies with greyed out settings that I kept running into.

2) The factory setting for the OLED LIGHT is 55 [ DV - Cinema (User) ], but feel free to adjust to your liking. I used to keep it higher myself, as you noticed from the previous calibration rev, but am pleased with the overall picture with it currently set to 55. You might notice elevated black levels with it set higher, so keep an eye out.
euckersw likes this.

post #35427 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post
I haven't looked at calibrations since September. A couple of points. When doing the white balance I want to confirm that it is the outer not the inner settings I am adjusting. I now have additional settings in white balance under the 20 points IRE. At the 100 IRE I have a target luminance of which is set to 130 and do not recall seeing that before. I can't recall but am wondering if this is a new setting from a firmware update to the TV since September. I also have adjusting luminance values for each IRE which I have left at 0.

A couple of other points. the previous poster asked about black level being auto for, I believe, HDR. I find the same using the internal apps so I set the low value using an HDR disc input through my Oppo 203.

Finally. I had trouble loading the DV calibration file using Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime. I tried re-formatting and all of the other tricks suggested in the post. No luck. However, when I inserted the USB using a DV disc input through my Oppo 203 the settings pop-up came up immediately.
Thanks for that feedback and uncovering the mystery!! I use an AppleTV 4K for HDR10 and DV playback. It appears that the picture modes for internal apps are a bit different in some areas.

As far as all the settings options for the White Balance go, the default is indeed "Outer". The 100 IRE has a default target luminance of 130. Adjust only the IRE levels, and leave the other stuff alone.

post #35428 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore View Post

Spot on. With internal Prime App (The Grand Tour) I get Black Level Auto as you, when I play Bohemian Rhapsody 4K (HDR) from my UPD-203 then Black Level shows Low and is selectable. Thanks!
post #35429 of 36728 Old 04-21-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Thanks so much for this update! I have about 2800 hours on my B7. I thought it had a great picture after using your prior settings and DV file and didn't think it could get better but after trying these updated settings, I could see a noticeable difference in my SDR and OTA content. I could also see a big difference in DV. I used the internal Netflix app with The Haunting playing while I made the adjustments and could see a big difference. Not as dark as it was prior to this update. I might have to binge the whole series again with these new settings. I also used The Haunting as my source for the HDR settings playing through my Nvidia Sheild. I did notice an improvement in HDR too but not as dramatic as the DV.

Thanks again!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #35430 of 36728 Old 04-22-2019, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 130
LG 2017 OLEDs - All Profiles Re-Calibration (April 2019)

Quote:

PS4 PRO:

Xbox One X:

RTX 2080 Ti PC:

LG 2017 OLEDs - All Profiles Re-Calibration (April 2019)

• ALL PROFILES UPDATED TO V7 ULTIMATE
  • Firmware 5.80.xx or above is required
  • Completely new re-calibration of all SDR/HDR/DV picture modes with new tools and after 4.000+ hours usage (based on new sonoftumble settings)
  • New Dolby Vision Custom Calibration file to apply via USB patch (updated on April 2019)
  • HDR Game mode back to a new custom profile based on HIGH Dynamic Contrast to match the new improvements
  • Added new in-game HDR suggested settings

Please not that this re-calibration goes in-depth also for all White Balance + CMS values, so do not forget to also update those sections when possible (and do not forget to also update the entire DV profile using the new USB Patch!)

Then give those completely fresh settings a try and let me know what you think...

Last edited by P40L0; 04-22-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page