2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980231Likes

post #35701 of 35899 Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
My B7A had audio dropouts and very choppy audio when watching an action movie in Dolby Vision or HDR. Standard movies were fine. All the explosions, gun fights, fast action, amped up soundtrack was causing the problem

I changed my ISP from AT&T 50mpbs to Charter 200+mbps. AT&T tech found some problems and corrected them, but was still a no go. I'm too far away from the VRAD to get anything faster. Watched them install fiber across the street! It's just me and it was solid for 16 months. Bought my own modem instead of free cable modem, Netgear CM600, so I could see what was happening on their side. Charter came out and corrected issues it had like an old TV analog trap filter to keep people from stealing cable back in the day. Was causing a few channels to not lock on and others very low power levels. Everything then tested clean at the pole, the demarcation point and inside. Problem gone. Tested with Jack Ryan later episodes on Prime and Rim of the World on Netflix. Both caused the dropouts before.

So relieved it wasn't my TV or receiver. Just wanted to stop by and thank everyone and to post my fix.
I have replaced about 3 of my friends and families combo router/modem with a $50 modem from Amazon and a decent router and they are stunned how much better the internet is. Not saying this is always the case but the stuff you get from the cable company (which you are paying $10-12 / month for) seems to be less than optimal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35702 of 35899 Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My B7 only has over 1500 hours on it. The magenta color tinting on the sides seems to be lessening. It is most noticeable in white backgrounds. I hope it continue to diminish. Besides the vertical banding in above-black scenes, there isn't much to complain about.
post #35703 of 35899 Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
@Cleveland Plasma

The LG C7 that I purchased from you developed a line in the exact center of the screen.
The problem is the right side is brighter than the left side.

I reported the case over 6 months ago then let it languish.
Last week, I called the local repair shop and he confirmed the problem exists but is a single-man operation so he cannot repair 65" or larger screens.

LG offered to provide an extended warranty to get it "refurbished" but I will need a proof of purchase.
I sent you an email. Hopefully, they will accept this for warranty repair.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2

Last edited by RichB; 06-11-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35704 of 35899 Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
I have replaced about 3 of my friends and families combo router/modem with a $50 modem from Amazon and a decent router and they are stunned how much better the internet is. Not saying this is always the case but the stuff you get from the cable company (which you are paying $10-12 / month for) seems to be less than optimal.

Here they give you a free 3.1 modem. There is some hacky, PITA way to see the stats but I elected to get my own modem which is 24X8 and I can log into it see the stats.

I have an Asus router that just turned a year old. Running Merlin firmware on it. I have 21 mostly wireless devices and a handful of wired devices off a dumb switch. CAT 6 and 5e cabling where needed/supported.
post #35705 of 35899 Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have just experienced what i think is burn in on my B7 TV. I have used my TV as a PC monitor for well over a year, and never had this issue before. My PC's taskbar, with some of the icons, seems to have been burnt into the TV. I have run the pixel refresher 3 times and that has done nothing. The only thing i can think that has changed that could have contributed to this issue is that the OS has become significantly slower recently, navigating the settings menu takes quite a lot longer than when i first got the TV. Is there any way to fix this burn in? Is it likely that i will be able to get a replacement from LG (in my country defect tech products can be returned up to 2 years after purchase)?
post #35706 of 35899 Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Really wish LG would fix the 50hz color bug for US customers too. Amazon seems to use 50hz a lot for UK shows (like Good Omens) which screws up the color.

Between this, the dim HDR game mode, and the continually broken HDMI Dolby Vision stuff, I don't think I'm ever buying an LG OLED again. Pretty sure 2017 owners are going to be left in the dust too now that the 9 series is out.
post #35707 of 35899 Old 06-13-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
Really wish LG would fix the 50hz color bug for US customers too. Amazon seems to use 50hz a lot for UK shows (like Good Omens) which screws up the color.

Between this, the dim HDR game mode, and the continually broken HDMI Dolby Vision stuff, I don't think I'm ever buying an LG OLED again. Pretty sure 2017 owners are going to be left in the dust too now that the 9 series is out.

...Dolby Vision has been problem-free for a substantial length of time now and game mode is completely unnecessary.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #35708 of 35899 Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
...Dolby Vision has been problem-free for a substantial length of time now and game mode is completely unnecessary.
Wrong on both. Check the Dolby vision raised blacks thread. It’s still broken (even on 8 series TVs as well).

You not being able to perceive the difference in input lag doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Game Mode exists for a reason.
post #35709 of 35899 Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6405 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
@Cleveland Plasma

The LG C7 that I purchased from you developed a line in the exact center of the screen.
The problem is the right side is brighter than the left side.
I emailed you back the same day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arilando View Post
I have just experienced what i think is burn in on my B7 TV. I have used my TV as a PC monitor for well over a year, and never had this issue before. My PC's taskbar, with some of the icons, seems to have been burnt into the TV. I have run the pixel refresher 3 times and that has done nothing. The only thing i can think that has changed that could have contributed to this issue is that the OS has become significantly slower recently, navigating the settings menu takes quite a lot longer than when i first got the TV. Is there any way to fix this burn in? Is it likely that i will be able to get a replacement from LG (in my country defect tech products can be returned up to 2 years after purchase)?
No way to repair, you have to replace
post #35710 of 35899 Old 06-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
This statement always blows my mind, how assertively people claim this.

Games are unplayable outside of Game mode for me. And I'm not alone.
Ricker62 and tocirahl like this.
post #35711 of 35899 Old 06-16-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will calibration help?

Hello everyone,

I have a C7 65" and I've noticed for a while the picture looks choppy/grainy/discolored in dark scenes. See attached photos from last night on my FTV. I did go to Rtaings and watched the 12 min video and changed my settings accordingly a few months ago. Watching Got this season was pretty bad whether from my cable box or the FTV HBOGo app. Same with Roku.

What should I do? I can't believe how pathetic these scenes look when I've heard OLED was supposed to be great for deeper blacks and it certainly looked great when I was shopping. I'm hoping this is fixable and you folks can point me in the right direction.

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_202417.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	841.9 KB
ID:	2580864   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_202423.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	998.2 KB
ID:	2580866   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_204830.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	2580868  
post #35712 of 35899 Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho'nuff View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a C7 65" and I've noticed for a while the picture looks choppy/grainy/discolored in dark scenes. See attached photos from last night on my FTV. I did go to Rtaings and watched the 12 min video and changed my settings accordingly a few months ago. Watching Got this season was pretty bad whether from my cable box or the FTV HBOGo app. Same with Roku.

What should I do? I can't believe how pathetic these scenes look when I've heard OLED was supposed to be great for deeper blacks and it certainly looked great when I was shopping. I'm hoping this is fixable and you folks can point me in the right direction.

Please help!
Most of what you are describing is called compression artifacts; i.e. banding and block noise. With 1080P sources such as HBOGo and others, the picture quality falls victim to H.264 compression - especially with dark scenes. The pictures you attached have a ton of banding caused by heavy compression.

Question: Have you watched any 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision content? I don't know if have any sources that are capable of producing those signals, but that is where the magic starts. I highly recommend an AppleTV 4K - easily the best streamer on the planet. Think of your C7 as a high performance automobile, and you keep feeding it regular unleaded.

Also, feel free to give my settings a try. ( Look in my signature at the bottom of this post ) There's a couple of hundred subscribers to this thread who are very happy with the results.
Sho'nuff, T-smith, skip61 and 3 others like this.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #35713 of 35899 Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Most of what you are describing is called compression artifacts; i.e. banding and block noise. With 1080P sources such as HBOGo and others, the picture quality falls victim to H.264 compression - especially with dark scenes. The pictures you attached have a ton of banding caused by heavy compression.
Thanks for your response! I had a Samsung HDTV before this OLED and it was never like this though and I was using the same sources (cable box, Roku, FireTV). The "banding" you're describing I've only seen on this TV. It make sense about compression but why now on this TV?

Quote:
Question: Have you watched any 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision content? I don't know if have any sources that are capable of producing those signals, but that is where the magic starts. I highly recommend an AppleTV 4K - easily the best streamer on the planet. Think of your C7 as a high performance automobile, and you keep feeding it regular unleaded.
The FTV I have is the 2017 4k version I believe so I have quality, right? I just did a test; so those screenshots are from Mr Robot as I was watching it on the FireTV Prime app last night. Anyway, I just put on the same exact scenes on the LG OLED built-in Amazon app and it is better. BUT, I still see banding. Is the ATV4K that much better for the signal then? This is really bothering me.

Quote:
Also, feel free to give my settings a try. ( Look in my signature at the bottom of this post ) There's a couple of hundred subscribers to this thread who are very happy with the results.
I will look into this more, thanks! So I would need to look at different types of things and set those settings to each one? (ie watch a DV movie and do settings, watch an HDR10 movie and do it's settings, etc?) It will remember those settings on each type of movie/show I watch?

Sorry for the lengthy post I hope you don't mind answering

Last edited by Sho'nuff; 06-16-2019 at 09:43 PM.
post #35714 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Thanks for your response! I had a Samsung HDTV before this OLED and it was never like this though and I was using the same sources (cable box, Roku, FireTV). The "banding" you're describing I've only seen on this TV. It make sense about compression but why now on this TV?

The FTV I have is the 2017 4k version I believe so I have quality, right? I just did a test; so those screenshots are from Mr Robot as I was watching it on the FireTV Prime app last night. Anyway, I just put on the same exact scenes on the LG OLED built-in Amazon app and it is better. BUT, I still see banding. Is the ATV4K that much better for the signal then? This is really bothering me.

I will look into this more, thanks! So I would need to look at different types of things and set those settings to each one? (ie watch a DV movie and do settings, watch an HDR10 movie and do it's settings, etc?) It will remember those settings on each type of movie/show I watch?

The only way to verify is to use a UHD player. Too many variables with streaming. The only streaming box that is very very close to my Oppo 203 is the ATV 4K. But anytime you want to verify the picture of your new tv is always to use physical media such as a UHD player .
sonoftumble likes this.

LG Oled 65B7P
Anthem MRX 510 receiver , Furman elite
Paradigm Millenia 300 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 30 Center,Mordaunt-Short ADP
PSA XS15se sub, Oppo udp 203, PS4, Bell PVR Fibe tv, ATV 4K
post #35715 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 2451
Quote:

Your version of the FTV should not be producing the heavy banding/block noise that I see in the pictures you posted. Maybe there's a setting in the FTV or the LG, or both that needs to be set. Something such as deep color. It's almost like the signal is 8 bit color while the TV is expecting 10 bit color. Even the HBOGo stuff has way too much banding/block noise. Without seeing your setup, I can only guess as to the causes. It might be your internet provider.

When you input the settings for each dynamic range type and picture mode, there is a "Save for all Inputs" option.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #35716 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Your version of the FTV should not be producing the heavy banding/block noise that I see in the pictures you posted. Maybe there's a setting in the FTV or the LG, or both that needs to be set. Something such as deep color. It's almost like the signal is 8 bit color while the TV is expecting 10 bit color. Even the HBOGo stuff has way too much banding/block noise. Without seeing your setup, I can only guess as to the causes. It might be your internet provider.

When you input the settings for each dynamic range type and picture mode, there is a "Save for all Inputs" option.

It can look that bad if he has the brightness cranked up on dimly lit scenes. But yes, it’s a combination of garbage in and his setup/configuration.
post #35717 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Please help!

no. this is normal unfortunately for this tv. LCD's don't suffer nearly as badly with poor source material.

Sony OLEDs do much better with their Smooth Gradation function enabled, and are better in processing/upscaling in general.

It is unacceptable, and LG needs to do better with less than pristine source material, this may be marginally better on more recent LG OLEDs, C8 and C9.

On a separate note, something that did help my picture quality noticeably was to go into the main picture settings (not the sidebar) and make sure Just Scan is set to ON under Aspect Ratio Settings. Cable still looks worse than any LCD I've ever owned, but this makes it better.
post #35718 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How do you determine how many hours have the TV been used?
post #35719 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypues View Post
no. this is normal unfortunately for this tv. LCD's don't suffer nearly as badly with poor source material.

Sony OLEDs do much better with their Smooth Gradation function enabled, and are better in processing/upscaling in general.

It is unacceptable, and LG needs to do better with less than pristine source material, this may be marginally better on more recent LG OLEDs, C8 and C9.

You could say that the LG is much more faithful to the crappy source data it is being provided. Everyone else is dickering with the picture and that too has its own set of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35720 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
You could say that the LG is much more faithful to the crappy source data it is being provided. Everyone else is dickering with the picture and that too has its own set of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. LG OLEDs (2017 models anyway) have never been able to display a color gradient correctly. See Rtings test of this.

It's nice to think your tv shows all sources perfectly, as director intended, but it does not. Even 4k blu rays have poor gradients sometimes and near black noise that is absent on other displays. My lowly iPads can display them without problems.

I've either gotten used to it or overlooked it because OLED is superior in many other areas though - color, contrast, blacks, etc.
post #35721 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4520
Quote:
I disagree. LG OLEDs (2017 models anyway) have never been able to display a color gradient correctly. See Rtings test of this.

It's nice to think your tv shows all sources perfectly, as director intended, but it does not. Even 4k blu rays have poor gradients sometimes and near black noise that is absent on other displays. My lowly iPads can display them without problems.

I've either gotten used to it or overlooked it because OLED is superior in many other areas though - color, contrast, blacks, etc.

Right there is always a bit of banding in a 10bit slide.
rsonnens likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #35722 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 View Post
The only way to verify is to use a UHD player. Too many variables with streaming. The only streaming box that is very very close to my Oppo 203 is the ATV 4K. But anytime you want to verify the picture of your new tv is always to use physical media such as a UHD player .
Thanks! I had a blue ray player and disks looked great...from what I remember. It broke recently so now I'm researching (probably way too much) on which 4k player to get so then I can test again for dark scenes but I think they looked great on disc.
post #35723 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Cable box is same banding. Internet is supposed to be really good, I get 400mb but unfortunately it's not hard-wired. But the wi-fi signal in the house is pretty strong. I'll have to try to mess around but this isn't a calibration thing right? That was my initial questions; do I need to get the TV professionally calibrated.

ETA: And thanks for the directions on your settings as I guess that's the only calibration I'll need. I have a feeling the picture will still look like that on anything other than disc which is crazy as my Samsung was an older model HDTV with none of this.
post #35724 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:

On a separate note, something that did help my picture quality noticeably was to go into the main picture settings (not the sidebar) and make sure Just Scan is set to ON under Aspect Ratio Settings. Cable still looks worse than any LCD I've ever owned, but this makes it better.
Thanks, I just set it to ON I'll see how that goes. So are we saying just get used to crappy picture quality with dark scenes on an OLED TV? For the $ I put out that's a joke and LG should fix it. I did buy an extended warranty is this anything that could be tried you think?
post #35725 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I just set it to ON I'll see how that goes. So are we saying just get used to crappy picture quality with dark scenes on an OLED TV? For the $ I put out that's a joke and LG should fix it. I did buy an extended warranty is this anything that could be tried you think?
Yes, I think it does get slightly better over time and trial and error with the settings. You could try a panel refresh, but it will do them automatically as hours accumulate. I think first one is at 2000 hours. I have just left it alone to do it as scheduled.

Vertical banding is a defect that they should cover. I did that with mine (Discover, no longer offered sadly).
Does yours have that too? Many did.
post #35726 of 35899 Old 06-17-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think it does get slightly better over time and trial and error with the settings. You could try a panel refresh, but it will do them automatically as hours accumulate. I think first one is at 2000 hours. I have just left it alone to do it as scheduled.

Vertical banding is a defect that they should cover. I did that with mine (Discover, no longer offered sadly).
Does yours have that too? Many did.
Just what I showed in the screenshot, I don't think vertical banding as what you're probably describing. I may send pics to LG and see what they say since I bought 3 yr extended straight through them.
post #35727 of 35899 Old 06-18-2019, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by yllanos View Post
How do you determine how many hours have the TV been used?
Settings -> General -> About this TV
post #35728 of 35899 Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Just what I showed in the screenshot, I don't think vertical banding as what you're probably describing. I may send pics to LG and see what they say since I bought 3 yr extended straight through them.
As others have said, the pictures you posted are not related to the capabilities of the TV. Make sure you have HDMI Deep Colour enabled, then investigate your source quality and settings.
skip61 likes this.
post #35729 of 35899 Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Thanks!
post #35730 of 35899 Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post

I can't find there anything of the usage time.

DOLBY ATMOS 5.2.4 - Yamaha RX-A2080 - Klipsch RP-280F - RP-450C - RP-250S - RP-140SA - R-112SW - LG OLED 55B7 - HiMedia Q30 - Xbox One X SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page