AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

Ph8te 08-18-2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58441632)
is there a better chance of it getting added to the 2018/2019 models?



I would say yes, but right now Disney seems to be focused on external devices. So if you want to be “first” then get yourself one of the announced supported devices. I’m sure more m support will be announced, but for me buying an ATV4K was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I rarely use the internal apps because support for internal apps becomes very spotty after a year or so.

TitusTroy 08-18-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58441788)
I would say yes, but right now Disney seems to be focused on external devices. So if you want to be “first” then get yourself one of the announced supported devices. I’m sure more m support will be announced, but for me buying an ATV4K was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I rarely use the internal apps because support for internal apps becomes very spotty after a year or so.

I've been very satisfied so far with the built-in apps (both in terms of stability and picture quality) but I will be forced to buy an Apple 4K TV 32 GB if LG doesn't add Disney+ to the C7...I do hear excellent things about ATV but I just haven't had any need for it yet as I mostly use Netflix, Amazon and Vudu as far as 4K apps...but it will be nice to get the ATV for access to more external apps such as DC Universe, Disney+, EPIX 4K app etc

Karbon Kyle 08-18-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58441744)
I am using my LG B7 as a PC monitor.

The problem I get is when the FPS goes under 60 it's almost unplayable. I have set Vsync ON to avoid tearing.

I have an RTX 2080ti but when I put the max settings in 4k in some games it drops to 50-55 fps.

I know that my OLED doesn't have any Gsync or Freesync feature but I was wondering if there are any settings or software I can use to help be in sync even if I'm under my refresh rate (60hz in 4k).

I have been told since OLED doesn't really have motion blur the problem is more apparent.

This problem never occurs on my Xbox One X so I guess there is something to do with a PC to fix this,

any help or advice would be appreciated.
thank you.


Scanline Sync in RTSS is your friend. Usually a value of -140 works pretty well with 4K resolution but it depends on the game and you will have to live with some occasional visible tearing if the GPU load varies a lot on-the-fly. The effect is similar to that of G-Sync/Freesync in terms of smoothness. I would not recommend the C9 as a gaming monitor without it, unless you stuck to strictly 1440p/120hz.

Tapidlittle 08-18-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karbon Kyle (Post 58442066)
Scanline Sync in RTSS is your friend. Usually a value of -140 works pretty well with 4K resolution but it depends on the game and you will have to live with some occasional visible tearing if the GPU load varies a lot on-the-fly. The effect is similar to that of G-Sync/Freesync in terms of smoothness. I would not recommend the C9 as a gaming monitor without it, unless you stuck to strictly 1440p/120hz.

I guess I need to turn off VSync in game?

Karbon Kyle 08-18-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58442172)
I guess I need to turn off VSync in game?


Yes, I recommend a quick google search regarding the topic to get a better understanding of how it functions. It's not perfect but it works and for me is pretty much essential in order to enjoy using a big-screen TV as a gaming monitor, especially at 60hz. It is a relatively new addition to RTSS.

Tapidlittle 08-18-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karbon Kyle (Post 58442198)
Yes, I recommend a quick google search regarding the topic to get a better understanding of how it functions. It's not perfect but it works and for me is pretty much essential in order to enjoy using a big-screen TV as a gaming monitor, especially at 60hz. It is a relatively new addition to RTSS.

I am running my games in 4k/60hz.
Thanks I will try that.

Edit:

Are you sure this will help if my FPS is below my refresh rate?

Karbon Kyle 08-18-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58442242)
I am running my games in 4k/60hz.
Thanks I will try that.


I also play games at 4k/60hz on my C9 and I also use a 2080Ti, I can't stand it without Scanline Sync enabled. I think you will like it. I don't know how the C7 differs from the C9 but I would imagine you'll see the benefit regardless.

Tapidlittle 08-18-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karbon Kyle (Post 58442260)
I also play games at 4k/60hz on my C9 and I also use a 2080Ti, I can't stand it without Scanline Sync enabled. I think you will like it. I don't know how the C7 differs from the C9 but I would imagine you'll see the benefit regardless.

great news.... and what happen when your fps is below your refresh rate?

Karbon Kyle 08-18-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58442272)
great news.... and what happen when your fps is below your refresh rate?


I'm not positive but I think the scanline location will move so you might see tearing but still benefit from smoother frametimes. If it's just occasional dips from 60fps I think you should be fine but I haven't tried any games that run in the 40's/50's so I can't say for certain. 2080Ti should peg 60fps on all but a handful of games. It's easy to try out so go fool around with it a bit and see if you like it. I had to play around with it a bit to find the sweet spot in some games.

Tapidlittle 08-18-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karbon Kyle (Post 58442278)
I'm not positive but I think the scanline location will move so you might see tearing but still benefit from smoother frametimes. If it's just occasional dips from 60fps I think you should be fine but I haven't tried any games that run in the 40's/50's so I can't say for certain. 2080Ti should peg 60fps on all but a handful of games. It's easy to try out so go fool around with it a bit and see if you like it. I had to play around with it a bit to find the sweet spot in some games.

thanks I will try that for sure! Odyssey is pretty unstable I get 80 fps and down to 45-50 sometimes...

MrQuade 08-18-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58442272)
great news.... and what happen when your fps is below your refresh rate?

You will still get tearing with RTSS in that instance, but what it allows you to do is determine where on the screen that/those tearing appears, which may or may not be an acceptable compromise.

You could drop to 1080p output and turn up your antialiasing and in-game detail in order to maintain good framerates (and enable fastsync to ensure that your input latency is also maintained).

You might also want to consider running the PC at 2160p30 with VSYNC, or fastsync enabled. At least that way, you will have a consistent framerate that isn't jumping between 60 and 30 as you are seeing now with vsync enabled.

Tapidlittle 08-19-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrQuade (Post 58442332)
You will still get tearing with RTSS in that instance, but what it allows you to do is determine where on the screen that/those tearing appears, which may or may not be an acceptable compromise.

You could drop to 1080p output and turn up your antialiasing and in-game detail in order to maintain good framerates (and enable fastsync to ensure that your input latency is also maintained).

You might also want to consider running the PC at 2160p30 with VSYNC, or fastsync enabled. At least that way, you will have a consistent framerate that isn't jumping between 60 and 30 as you are seeing now with vsync enabled.

Playing at 2160p30 means I will play at 30 fps?

cmdrdredd 08-19-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neoshinta (Post 58439962)
That's what I do yesterday. The low and high level in black level and gamma is greyed out in hdr mode I think.

Enviado desde mi SM-J710MN mediante Tapatalk



Maybe it is, sorry I don’t have any other suggestions. I’ve not had any issues personally.

cmdrdredd 08-19-2019 08:16 AM

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58441744)
I am using my LG B7 as a PC monitor.



The problem I get is when the FPS goes under 60 it's almost unplayable. I have set Vsync ON to avoid tearing.



I have an RTX 2080ti but when I put the max settings in 4k in some games it drops to 50-55 fps.



I know that my OLED doesn't have any Gsync or Freesync feature but I was wondering if there are any settings or software I can use to help be in sync even if I'm under my refresh rate (60hz in 4k).



I have been told since OLED doesn't really have motion blur the problem is more apparent.



This problem never occurs on my Xbox One X so I guess there is something to do with a PC to fix this,



any help or advice would be appreciated.

thank you.



Have you considered trying 1080p @120 hz and using max AA?

cmdrdredd 08-19-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58443194)
Playing at 2160p30 means I will play at 30 fps?



Yeah 30fps

Tapidlittle 08-19-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 58443570)
Have you considered trying 1080p @120 hz and using max AA?

Not really I bought an 2080ti to play in 4k.

MrQuade 08-19-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58443194)
Playing at 2160p30 means I will play at 30 fps?

Yes, you'd be at 30fps, but you'd be locked at 30fps instead of oscillating between 60 and 30, so the overall smoothness may be an improvement.

In short, if you want to eliminate all tearing, then your PC needs to be able to render faster than your screen's refresh rate (or as you say, use freesync/gsync if available), there isn't any way around it.

Tapidlittle 08-19-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrQuade (Post 58443736)
Yes, you'd be at 30fps, but you'd be locked at 30fps instead of oscillating between 60 and 30, so the overall smoothness may be an improvement.

In short, if you want to eliminate all tearing, then your PC needs to be able to render faster than your screen's refresh rate (or as you say, use freesync/gsync if available), there isn't any way around it.

thanks.

but how the X1X proceeds to avoid this issue?

todd95008 08-19-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by variableresults (Post 58345446)
Did this update last week. Wish I hadn't. All streaming video (haven't tried BD yet) has intermittent lag where the picture will freeze and will have to catch up to the audio. Also have issues with the remote losing its mind and becoming unresponsive.
Does anyone have a link to 05.80.15? That was the last issue-free firmware I've had on this TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd95008 (Post 58348400)
Have not seen any issues with the new firmware on a 55B7A (US) as everything is the same for me.
I have however always had the two issues you describe above almost since I bought the set.
The remote issue I gave up on long ago and tossed the wireless wheel remote and got a Std. IR LG remote on E-bay for $12.
I loose voice search but everything else works.

The video freezing issue I have always had but it gets better or goes away as the panel warms up (been on for >30 minutes).
Was always the worst on YouTube but I would see on over the air content too.

I replaced the main board last month and this did not change at all.
The issue is in the T-con board and you cannot swap that as it is part of the OLED panel.
I learned this the hard way as I also replaced the T-con board before realizing the above.

I don't think the firmware had anything to do with either of these issues.


Update: I think the last firmware may have made these issues worse after all. Also I was getting the "unknown device disconnected/connected" popups like crazy.

I decided to take off the back cover a third time and completely remove the Bluetooth/wireless card. I taped down and over the connector so it will not short out.
Been 3 days and all of the above issues are gone ! The set has not worked like this since it the first 2-3 months of the last 2 years.
As I said above, I don't care about the magic remote so no loss with removing the circuit board.
There must be some sort of comm error that interrupts the video processing and causes the freezing ?
Of course the unknown device pop ups are also gone.
I was getting ready to go for a 2019 C9 panel but no need :)


If you have these issues and like me and don't need the Bluetooth or wireless this is how to fix it.
I suppose if you do need those features, you can get a replacement board and cross your fingers.


Todd

Neoshinta 08-19-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 58443570)
Have you considered trying 1080p @120 hz and using max AA?

The best way to play fps on this oled I think.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 58443560)
Maybe it is, sorry I don’t have any other suggestions. I’ve not had any issues personally.

Thanks anyway Dredd, Sonoftumble already give me a hand yesterday with this [emoji108][emoji16]

Enviado desde mi SM-J710MN mediante Tapatalk

rsonnens 08-19-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58441788)
I would say yes, but right now Disney seems to be focused on external devices. So if you want to be “first” then get yourself one of the announced supported devices. I’m sure more m support will be announced, but for me buying an ATV4K was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I rarely use the internal apps because support for internal apps becomes very spotty after a year or so.



As announced today (where iOS devices were confirmed) LG is not listed—and neither are Amazon devices.

Cleveland Plasma 08-19-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richs100 (Post 58422250)
Hello all:
I have tried to search for an answer to my question, but nothing comes up. Since I've had my 65B7A, it has defaulted to LG's "starburst" screensaver which I like. Recently I switched from Comcast to Verizon Fios as my cable provider. With Fios, I do not have a screensaver at all and I can't find a setting for it in the menus. I still have the LG Starburst when I pause while using LG's smart channels (and the internal Netflix and Amazon apps) but not while using Fios.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58422454)
There is no screensaver for external devices. If you’re going to fall asleep (which is why your worried) then set the sleep timer. Don’t pause things for long periods of time, etc.

If it is cable it will continue to play, so I do not even see why the sleep feature would need to be used. The content will continue to change as if you where watching it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsonnens (Post 58446004)
As announced today (where iOS devices were confirmed) LG is not listed—and neither are Amazon devices.

well that stinks, I love the firestick ;)

rsonnens 08-19-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 58446058)



well that stinks, I love the firestick ;)


https://apple.news/ASp0bguS1TWCG4y6OEEd0Ow

It may run in the browser on the LG but who knows. I’m sure it would not be the best experience.

MrQuade 08-19-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58443748)
thanks.

but how the X1X proceeds to avoid this issue?

Game consoles often deliberately limit their framerate to 30fps to avoid this sort of thing. Not all games render at a native 60fps, especially at 4K resolution. Often games will drop back to 1080p to hit the top framerates.
It's a little bit easier for console developers to target specific framerates since the hardware has a known performance level.

cmdrdredd 08-19-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58443730)
Not really I bought an 2080ti to play in 4k.



Yeah I k ow what you mean. I’ve never really experienced issues with 4K 60hz when I used it in my games. I don’t have a 2080 tho, just a 1080ti.

cmdrdredd 08-19-2019 07:47 PM

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapidlittle (Post 58443748)
thanks.



but how the X1X proceeds to avoid this issue?



The games are locked to 30fps usually or visual sacrifices are made to draw distance, shadow quality etc to achieve a locked 60fps. Forza for example can be made to look quite a bit better on windows than Xbox. Often the games that are 4K aren’t native 4K on console. They are rendered internally at a lower resolution (but still higher than 1080p) and then use a scaling algorithm to achieve 4K. Native 4K is rare for consoles and usually limited to games without a lot of dynamic rendering (static backgrounds etc).

tigerali 08-20-2019 01:48 PM

I've got a 65B7A and have been interested in replacing the pedestal with shorter legs (both for aesthetics and to bring the TV height down) - something along the lines of the Loutytuo TV Stand Table Top Mount Legs on Amazon (can't post images or links yet, but should be viewable on Amazon).

Does anyone have recommendations for replacement short legs (particularly as these aren't rated super great on Amazon)?

TitusTroy 08-20-2019 10:38 PM

I ran a YouTube 5%- 50% grey scale pattern on my 55" C7 and noticed slight vertical banding in the middle on the low percentage grey scale patterns...I don't notice it when viewing normal content...will running the Pixel Refresher help?...I never ran it before in my 2 years with this set...how does it work?...it says it runs when the TV is off...so I enable the Pixel Refresher through the TV settings and it shuts off the TV and runs it?...or do I manually need to shut off the TV?...how will I know the Pixel Refresher is finished if the TV is off?

does the Pixel Refresher automatically run after 4 hours?...and after 2000 hours?...or is that only with the 2018/2019 models?

Ph8te 08-21-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58451694)
I ran a YouTube 5%- 50% grey scale pattern on my 55" C7 and noticed slight vertical banding in the middle on the low percentage grey scale patterns...I don't notice it when viewing normal content...will running the Pixel Refresher help?...I never ran it before in my 2 years with this set...how does it work?...it says it runs when the TV is off...so I enable the Pixel Refresher through the TV settings and it shuts off the TV and runs it?...or do I manually need to shut off the TV?...how will I know the Pixel Refresher is finished if the TV is off?



does the Pixel Refresher automatically run after 4 hours?...and after 2000 hours?...or is that only with the 2018/2019 models?



If you don’t see it during normal content then does it really matter? I don’t get why people run these tests if they don’t see any anomalies during normal content. Unless you’re calibrating with equipment the only real reason to look at slides are to troubleshoot anomalies that are seen during normal content viewing. They are torture tests and will often show things you may not ever see.

There are 2 refreshers that run. One is a “quick” one that runs after every 4 concurrent viewing hours. Then there is the “major” one that runs after 2k hours.

TitusTroy 08-21-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58452878)
If you don’t see it during normal content then does it really matter? I don’t get why people run these tests if they don’t see any anomalies during normal content. Unless you’re calibrating with equipment the only real reason to look at slides are to troubleshoot anomalies that are seen during normal content viewing. They are torture tests and will often show things you may not ever see.

There are 2 refreshers that run. One is a “quick” one that runs after every 4 concurrent viewing hours. Then there is the “major” one that runs after 2k hours.

I was just wondering about the Pixel Refresher in general...I thought only the 2018+ models had the built-in auto Pixel Refresher after 4 hours?...looking online it seems a lot of people say to never run it manually (unless you notice image retention) as it could shorten the life of the display...I also ran some color slides and thankfully no image retention even though I watch a lot of sports (sports tickers)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.