AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

Ph8te 08-21-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58452920)
I was just wondering about the Pixel Refresher in general...I thought only the 2018+ models had the built-in auto Pixel Refresher after 4 hours?...looking online it seems a lot of people say to never run it manually (unless you notice image retention) as it could shorten the life of the display...I also ran some color slides and thankfully no image retention even though I watch a lot of sports (sports tickers)

I wouldn’t go looking for issues ;) PR does run on the 7 series after 4 hours of concurrent use (you’ll sometimes hear a delayed “click” after you power the TV off). PR is not a guarantee to fix other issues, for me I wouldnt run it manually unless there was a serious issue.

TitusTroy 08-21-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58453074)
I wouldn’t go looking for issues ;) PR does run on the 7 series after 4 hours of concurrent use (you’ll sometimes hear a delayed “click” after you power the TV off). PR is not a guarantee to fix other issues, for me I wouldnt run it manually unless there was a serious issue.

you're right about looking for issues...I was just curious about the grey scale...I'm not going to manually run the Refresher as it seems like it's not needed...so the TV needs to be on for 4 hours straight?...so if I watch 3 hours, shut it off and come back later and watch another 2 hours it won't consider that 4 hours?...what happens if I shut it off and it starts to run the Refresher and I immediately turn the TV on again while it was running?

Ph8te 08-21-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58453126)
you're right about looking for issues...I was just curious about the grey scale...I'm not going to manually run the Refresher as it seems like it's not needed...so the TV needs to be on for 4 hours straight?...so if I watch 3 hours, shut it off and come back later and watch another 2 hours it won't consider that 4 hours?...what happens if I shut it off and it starts to run the Refresher and I immediately turn the TV on again while it was running?

I forget if it resets if it’s less, if you shut it off then back on the process is just interrupted and I believe (not 100%) it will run again on next power off. The processes were detailed in this thread a long time ago.

alexbarbel 08-22-2019 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58453126)

The 4 hour refresh will run after a total of four hours. It does not have to be four hours in one hit. A three and a two will do it.

TitusTroy 08-22-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexbarbel (Post 58456568)
The 4 hour refresh will run after a total of four hours. It does not have to be four hours in one hit. A three and a two will do it.

not that I would want to disable it but I'm just curious, so there's no way to disable the 4 hour Pixel Refresher from running (even through the Service Menu)?...same with the 2000 hour PR, no way to disable it?...so the Pixel Refresher setting in the TV settings is only to run a manual PR, it has nothing to do with the 4 or 2000 hour auto-refresh correct?

my current 'total Power On Time' is 1889...so I'm close to reaching the point when the 2000 hour run starts

chad43 08-22-2019 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58456632)
not that I would want to disable it but I'm just curious, so there's no way to disable the 4 hour Pixel Refresher from running (even through the Service Menu)?...same with the 2000 hour PR, no way to disable it?...so the Pixel Refresher setting in the TV settings is only to run a manual PR, it has nothing to do with the 4 or 2000 hour auto-refresh correct?

my current 'total Power On Time' is 1889...so I'm close to reaching the point when the 2000 hour run starts

You don't want to disable them, even if it's possible.

The 4 hour feature is a compensation cycle, not a pixel refresher (which runs after 2000 hours). Think of a compensation cycle as giving your kitchen a light cleaning whereas the pixel refresher is like giving your kitchen a deep cleaning.

The pixel refresher in the tv settings is the same process that runs after 2000 hours.

petmic10 08-22-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58456632)

You can't disable that feature. You can change how often the compensation cycle and pixel refresher runs by changing the hours in the service menu. The comp cycle is set to run every 4 hours and the pixel refresher is set to run at 2000 hours of cumulative viewing.

TitusTroy 08-22-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petmic10 (Post 58457862)
You can't disable that feature. You can change how often the compensation cycle and pixel refresher runs by changing the hours in the service menu. The comp cycle is set to run every 4 hours and the pixel refresher is set to run at 2000 hours of cumulative viewing.

after running at 2000 hours is it set to run again after another 2000 hours?

petmic10 08-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58457884)
after running at 2000 hours is it set to run again after another 2000 hours?

Yes

Cleveland Plasma 08-23-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerali (Post 58449758)
I've got a 65B7A and have been interested in replacing the pedestal with shorter legs (both for aesthetics and to bring the TV height down) - something along the lines of the Loutytuo TV Stand Table Top Mount Legs on Amazon (can't post images or links yet, but should be viewable on Amazon).

Most legs, stands use the wall mount bolt holes, I highly doubt you would have a failure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd95008 (Post 58445252)

I decided to take off the back cover a third time and completely remove the Bluetooth/wireless card. I taped down and over the connector so it will not short out.
Been 3 days and all of the above issues are gone ! The set has not worked like this since it the first 2-3 months of the last 2 years.
As I said above, I don't care about the magic remote so no loss with removing the circuit board.
There must be some sort of comm error that interrupts the video processing and causes the freezing ?
Of course the unknown device pop ups are also gone.
I was getting ready to go for a 2019 C9 panel but no need :)

Put that board back in if you ever need service, good find ;)

todd95008 08-23-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 58461850)
Put that board back in if you ever need service, good find ;)

Why would I need to put this wireless/BT board back in for service ?
Really, I would never need service anyway.
The only boards that could fail are:
The Main board (I already have one), the Power Supply (I can replace or repair myself) or the panel/Tcon board combo (out of warranty now so would cost too much = get a new set).

Still working perfect after 7 days !

met_fan 08-24-2019 05:49 AM

I know this has been mentioned for various shows at times in the past, but the auto dimming while watching the new season of Mindhunter is brutal on this set.

rsonnens 08-24-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by met_fan (Post 58465624)
I know this has been mentioned for various shows at times in the past, but the auto dimming while watching the new season of Mindhunter is brutal on this set.

I’ve not noticed any issues while viewing Mindhunter.

met_fan 08-24-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsonnens (Post 58466100)
I’ve not noticed any issues while viewing Mindhunter.

I noticed it most during many of the interview scenes that were set in dimly lit rooms. I didn't necessarily notice that it was too dark until something would happen to kick the brightness back to where it was supposed to be, which significantly improved the picture. I noticed the same thing occasionally on Haunting of Hill House and some other shows I no longer remember.

lax01 08-24-2019 09:11 AM

Did anyone else routinely check the hours as they got closer to 2000? I think I'm at like 75-78 till 2000 right now...

fpileggi 08-24-2019 01:21 PM

I'm less then 100 hrs until the 4000 mark! No burn-in at all and I do game. I have my screen saver mode kick in at a low threshold. Yes sometimes that seems excessive but not having any issues keeps me happy. I bought my C7 from VE and had it calibrated by them. I do see the split screen issue(ABL) but its so minor I don't even give it a thought as I don't see it in live viewing.

TitusTroy 08-24-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad43 (Post 58456820)
You don't want to disable them, even if it's possible.

The 4 hour feature is a compensation cycle, not a pixel refresher (which runs after 2000 hours). Think of a compensation cycle as giving your kitchen a light cleaning whereas the pixel refresher is like giving your kitchen a deep cleaning.

The pixel refresher in the tv settings is the same process that runs after 2000 hours.

when the compensation cycle or pixel refresher is running is the power light On, Off, blinking?...meaning since the TV is off, is there a way I can tell that it's running?

Ph8te 08-24-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58467194)
when the compensation cycle or pixel refresher is running is the power light On, Off, blinking?...meaning since the TV is off, is there a way I can tell that it's running?

The only way to really know is listen closely for a delayed “click”. Outside of that after the 2k cycle you’ll sometimes get a pop up stating that it has run. Not worth obsessing over (IMO) ;)

TitusTroy 08-24-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

I actually noticed this as well a few times during S2 of Mindhunter...was distracting

Quote:

Originally Posted by lax01 (Post 58466292)
Did anyone else routinely check the hours as they got closer to 2000? I think I'm at like 75-78 till 2000 right now...

I'm currently at 1889 hours...I'm surprised I don't have more hours on it...I bought the TV back in July 2017

chad43 08-24-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58467194)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58467278)
The only way to really know is listen closely for a delayed “click”. Outside of that after the 2k cycle you’ll sometimes get a pop up stating that it has run. Not worth obsessing over (IMO) ;)

Agreed it's not worth obsessing over, but I admit that a couple of times I waited to hear the delayed click to make sure it was running. We all get to obsess every now and then. :)

If you really want to obsess, I believe I've read that if you plug into the usb port something that illuminates (flash drive, backlight, etc.) it will remain illuminated while the comp cycle is running. I follow a couple of threads, and I'm operating from memory here, but I think I read that on either the 7 series thread or the 8 series thread. But there's really no need for that. Just trust that it works.

TitusTroy 08-24-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad43 (Post 58467754)
Agreed it's not worth obsessing over, but I admit that a couple of times I waited to hear the delayed click to make sure it was running. We all get to obsess every now and then. :)

If you really want to obsess, I believe I've read that if you plug into the usb port something that illuminates (flash drive, backlight, etc.) it will remain illuminated while the comp cycle is running. I follow a couple of threads, and I'm operating from memory here, but I think I read that on either the 7 series thread or the 8 series thread. But there's really no need for that. Just trust that it works.

for me I don't consider it 'obsessing'...I just like being informed on how things work/operate

chad43 08-24-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

I didn't notice it during episode 1, though I could've easily missed it. What is your OLED light set to? I feel like I recall reading that the dimming may be more aggressive at higher OLED light settings.

met_fan 08-24-2019 04:32 PM

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad43 (Post 58467772)
I didn't notice it during episode 1, though I could've easily missed it. What is your OLED light set to? I feel like I recall reading that the dimming may be more aggressive at higher OLED light settings.

50 (for Dolby Vision, which seems to be the only picture mode I notice it in)

TitusTroy 08-24-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad43 (Post 58467772)

I have my OLED Light at 37 and I noticed it a few times as well...here's a great video from Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest which shows the issue (not from Mindhunter but other content)...I time stamped the video at 13:54 so you can skip to that point if it doesn't do it automatically...

chad43 08-24-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by met_fan (Post 58467890)
50 (for Dolby Vision, which seems to be the only picture mode I notice it in)

We're pretty close. Mine is set to 48 since it gets a mixture of daytime and nighttime viewing and I'm too lazy to change it. I didn't watch it in DV, however, so either I didn't notice it or DV is the culprit.

TitusTroy 08-24-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad43 (Post 58468250)
We're pretty close. Mine is set to 48 since it gets a mixture of daytime and nighttime viewing and I'm too lazy to change it. I didn't watch it in DV, however, so either I didn't notice it or DV is the culprit.

I thought you owned an LG OLED?...how are you not watching it in Dolby Vision?

chad43 08-24-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58468418)
I thought you owned an LG OLED?...how are you not watching it in Dolby Vision?

I have two, actually. The 65C7 is in a mixed-use room. The 65C8 is in a more dedicated theater room with a hardwired internet connection. The C7 is in an area that has some wifi trouble so I use the Netflix app on my TiVo box. It's HDR, but not DV. Since Mindhunter is more story and character driven, rather than a visual feast, I don't mind watching it in basic HDR.

Probably more information than you were really looking for. :D

billt1111 08-25-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad43 (Post 58467754)

It’s easy to tell if the pixel refresher is functioning on my C7 since I have LED backlights plugged into the USB port on the back. When the TV is on the backlighting is on, obviously. One consequence of this, it turns out, is that while the pixel refresh process is occurring the USB port is activated and powered, hence my backlight is on. If I turn the C7 off and the backlight stays on then it means the TV has been on for more than 4 hours and it is running the refresh process. The backlight LEDs go out in about 3 or 4 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gomo657 08-25-2019 01:52 PM

For the xfinity customer the streaming app is available on Webos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gambler52 08-25-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomo657 (Post 58470900)
For the xfinity customer the streaming app is available on Webos

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I installed that app yesterday and never could get anything to play, must have done something wrong.