AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

gomo657 08-25-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambler52 (Post 58470970)
I installed that app yesterday and never could get anything to play, must have done something wrong.



PQ is decent but no access to my dvr recordings which is what I would like. DD+ on most channels


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TitusTroy 08-26-2019 03:11 PM

HDTVTest: OLED Burn-In Test

We investigated the risk of OLED burn-in by displaying varying content 20 hours a day on a brand new LG E8 OLED TV for more than 6 months...


Cleveland Plasma 08-27-2019 07:16 AM

I agree, in normal situations burn in is super rare, does it happen, sure. You can get burn in on a LED how ever that is super dooper rare...lol. Seems to me this burn in happens years down the road, like year 2-3....

Andrew Stevenson 08-27-2019 03:57 PM

I just upgraded to a 5.1.4 Atmos set-up with an Xbox 1X used for games and blu-rays/UHD, then I use the LG B7 apps for Netflix etc to save powering up the Xbox and a Marantz SR6013 as my HT Receiver.

I connected: XBOX 1X > LG B7 Arc> SR6013 as the remote set-up and source switching was much easier. I appear to be getting Atmos from what my receiver is telling me when playing Netflix from my LG or games/UHD from the Xbox. However, doing some reading - it appears this isn't true Atmos as there's no eArc.

Is that correct - should I switch connections to: XBOX 1X > SR6013 <Arc> LG B7

Does the Netflix Xbox app output the same sound as the LG B7 app?

Still learning lots, thanks for the answer.

Ph8te 08-27-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stevenson (Post 58480548)
I just upgraded to a 5.1.4 Atmos set-up with an Xbox 1X used for games and blu-rays/UHD, then I use the LG B7 apps for Netflix etc to save powering up the Xbox and a Marantz SR6013 as my HT Receiver.



I connected: XBOX 1X > LG B7 Arc> SR6013 as the remote set-up and source switching was much easier. I appear to be getting Atmos from what my receiver is telling me when playing Netflix from my LG or games/UHD from the Xbox. However, doing some reading - it appears this isn't true Atmos as there's no eArc.



Is that correct - should I switch connections to: XBOX 1X > SR6013 <Arc> LG B7



Does the Netflix Xbox app output the same sound as the LG B7 app?



Still learning lots, thanks for the answer.



If you want lossless codec the yes. Streaming only offers the DD+ variant of Atmos (it’s still real), but lossy. You need eARC if you want to pass lossless codecs from your TV to audio device.

Deckard71 08-28-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58480980)
If you want lossless codec the yes. Streaming only offers the DD+ variant of Atmos (it’s still real), but lossy. You need eARC if you want to pass lossless codecs from your TV to audio device.



But the LG does not pass lossless audio. No eARC in the 7 series

Ph8te 08-28-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckard71 (Post 58485626)
But the LG does not pass lossless audio. No eARC in the 7 series



I’m aware of this, that’s why I suggested the user go directly to audio device, they would need eARC (which this TV does not offer) to achieve the same thing.

noobtv 08-28-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckard71 (Post 58485626)
But the LG does not pass lossless audio. No eARC in the 7 series

Ph8te means connect the xbox to the AVR so it gets the lossless audio directly. So you're not using ARC.

Andrew Stevenson 08-29-2019 08:27 AM

Thanks - I did some more reading and understood the response.

The 7 series offers only Arc, so sends back Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos metadata, if I go straight from Xbox to AVR, I can get Dolby TrueHD with Atmos. Both carry the Atmos metadata so it's less of a difference on the Atmos side, it's on the lossy vs lossless coding of DD+ vs TrueHD.

I tried a bit of testing between the 2 options with the Matrix to see if I could notice much of a difference between DD+ and TrueHD, I need to keep experimenting. First world problems, the current connection through the TV saves the use of 2 remotes, but the direct connection "should" be better on Blu-rays and UHDs with TrueHD.

patoberli 08-29-2019 10:38 AM

Honestly, I don't think you will notice any difference in audio quality unless you have a pro-grade audio listening room. This is my personal opinion.

Deckard71 08-29-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patoberli (Post 58488656)
Honestly, I don't think you will notice any difference in audio quality unless you have a pro-grade audio listening room. This is my personal opinion.



Well I have an Atmos demo disc, made of DD+ demos and another one made of DTHD demos, and the difference is noticeable. Also, the same movie with Atmos from Netflix vs BR disc is also noticeable. Nevertheless DD+ is good enough

Spidergames 08-29-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma (Post 58478114)
I agree, in normal situations burn in is super rare, does it happen, sure. You can get burn in on a LED how ever that is super dooper rare...lol. Seems to me this burn in happens years down the road, like year 2-3....

not so rare with the LED's, my JS9500 had a pink line burn in ....

Achillias 08-29-2019 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After 2 years of use my LG C7 got some severe burn-ins. Contacted my local LG customer support. Luckily they still have panels for free swapping. Next week the panel is going to get replaced for free. Going to keep the LG C7 hopefully for at least 3 more years before I buy something else (which is definitely not going to be another oled television).

Achillias 08-29-2019 03:20 PM

Also does oled light have effect on the burn-in process? Had this panel on 75 for 2 years. Going to lower it to 55 on the new panel. Will this have a positive effect?

skip61 08-29-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achillias (Post 58489884)
Also does oled light have effect on the burn-in process? Had this panel on 75 for 2 years. Going to lower it to 55 on the new panel. Will this have a positive effect?

Your Oled light is way too high! You should put it around 50. In Technicolor Expert i have my Oled light at 49. You should use Sonoftumble settings.

samuel.c.casilla 08-30-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achillias (Post 58489884)
Also does oled light have effect on the burn-in process? Had this panel on 75 for 2 years. Going to lower it to 55 on the new panel. Will this have a positive effect?

I have had 100 OLED light for SDR & HDR on my C6, B7, C7, and E8. No burn in ever. Maybe just dumb luck? I play mostly movies and PS4 Pro. For hours at a time. I do make sure however, I flip Screen Off energy saving, in picture settings before an extended absence from the room.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Ph8te 08-30-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuel.c.casilla (Post 58493600)
I have had 100 OLED light for SDR & HDR on my C6, B7, C7, and E8. No burn in ever. Maybe just dumb luck? I play mostly movies and PS4 Pro. For hours at a time. I do make sure however, I flip Screen Off energy saving, in picture settings before an extended absence from the room.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk



The poster who did, watched a lot of YouTube so unless it’s an apples to apples comparison we can’t really take anything from it. Watch the way you want to, as always be cognizant of static images and avoid long repeated periods of those images. If you’re varying content, most will be ok.

bizwig 08-30-2019 07:23 PM

Can the US C7 play 1080i/50 (aka PAL) content natively? I'm thinking of buying some region-free Australian Blu-rays but those are PAL not NTSC.

skip61 08-30-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizwig (Post 58494898)
Can the US C7 play 1080i/50 (aka PAL) content natively? I'm thinking of buying some region-free Australian Blu-rays but those are PAL not NTSC.

The tv doesn’t matter it’s the blu ray player that matters. Check to see if your blu ray player can.

Achillias 08-31-2019 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuel.c.casilla (Post 58493600)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Achillias (Post 58489884)
Also does oled light have effect on the burn-in process? Had this panel on 75 for 2 years. Going to lower it to 55 on the new panel. Will this have a positive effect?

I have had 100 OLED light for SDR & HDR on my C6, B7, C7, and E8. No burn in ever. Maybe just dumb luck? I play mostly movies and PS4 Pro. For hours at a time. I do make sure however, I flip Screen Off energy saving, in picture settings before an extended absence from the room.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

It has nothing to do with your dumb luck. Since you swap your OLED's almost every year your more likely not going to see burn-ins &#x1f609;. It mostly happen after 1-3 years of use.

samuel.c.casilla 08-31-2019 06:21 AM

Actually, I still have all. C7 in game room, E8 in my bedroom, B7 in family room, and C6 in basement. Waiting on 2020 for another one. Crazy thing, out of all, picture quality wise, the C6 is my favorite, followed by C7.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

alexbarbel 09-02-2019 12:53 AM

Hi,
A long time ago I remember seeing , on this thread, some pictures of a TV which seemed to have an issue where the front glass was not properly bonded to the back panel. I have searched for this but cannot locate the post. I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction ?

bobknavs 09-02-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexbarbel (Post 58502044)
Hi,
A long time ago I remember seeing , on this thread, some pictures of a TV which seemed to have an issue where the front glass was not properly bonded to the back panel. I have searched for this but cannot locate the post. I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction ?

That can't be literally true, as there is no glass in a B7 or C7.

alexbarbel 09-03-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobknavs (Post 58505578)
That can't be literally true, as there is no glass in a B7 or C7.

OK, maybe the front panel isn't glass but the pictures posted seemed to look like the back panel and the front panel had not been properly bonded and I seem to have a similar issue on my C8.

In the case of the 7 series that was posted it was quite extreme whereas in my case it is a short part of one edge and does not (yet) extend into the picture area. Unfortunately it is very difficult to get a meaningful picture to send to Lg and I wanted to refer them to the post on this forum as a reference but searching has proved fruitless.

RamGuy 09-03-2019 03:27 AM

Our LG OLED65C7V has developed this awkward "smearing" in the middle of the screen. According to my wife it's been there for some time, she claims it's very noticeable on yellow backgrounds as the smear appears green. Luckily for me I'm colour blind so I have next to no chance seeing it on yellow background but it's extremely noticeable on red backgrounds.

https://ibb.co/p3HZtRG

Any ideas what might be causing this? I've verified it all all inputs, including the built-in apps on the TV.


EDIT:

I just used this as reference using the built-in YouTube-app and was comparing our LG OLED65B6V in the bedroom with the LG OLED65C7V in the living room and the C7V is performing much worse overall even if we ignore the obvious smearing in the middle of the screen. I'm pretty certain that it was not this bad when we purchased it so it seems like the colours are suffering and has been degrading a lot on our C7V as compared to the one year older B6V.

I don't think the C7V has been running any longer or harder compared to the B6V. We had the B6V for one year before we got the C7V and moved the B6V into the bedroom was under the same conditions for one year before it was moved. The C7V has been in the living room for 1,5 years. Obviously the living room TV is being used more and is overall on higher brightness as compared to the bedroom TV but overall we should have more hours on the B6V as it's one year older.

I'm not entirely sure how the warranty is regarding panel degradation like this? Makes me really sceptical about how bad it might look when it gets even older..

chunon 09-03-2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamGuy (Post 58506156)
Our LG OLED65C7V has developed this awkward "smearing" in the middle of the screen. According to my wife it's been there for some time, she claims it's very noticeable on yellow backgrounds as the smear appears green. Luckily for me I'm colour blind so I have next to no chance seeing it on yellow background but it's extremely noticeable on red backgrounds.



https://ibb.co/p3HZtRG



Any ideas what might be causing this? I've verified it all all inputs, including the built-in apps on the TV.





EDIT:



I just used this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQuelXsUYA as reference using the built-in YouTube-app and was comparing our LG OLED65B6V in the bedroom with the LG OLED65C7V in the living room and the C7V is performing much worse overall even if we ignore the obvious smearing in the middle of the screen. I'm pretty certain that it was not this bad when we purchased it so it seems like the colours are suffering and has been degrading a lot on our C7V as compared to the one year older B6V.



I don't think the C7V has been running any longer or harder compared to the B6V. We had the B6V for one year before we got the C7V and moved the B6V into the bedroom was under the same conditions for one year before it was moved. The C7V has been in the living room for 1,5 years. Obviously the living room TV is being used more and is overall on higher brightness as compared to the bedroom TV but overall we should have more hours on the B6V as it's one year older.



I'm not entirely sure how the warranty is regarding panel degradation like this? Makes me really sceptical about how bad it might look when it gets even older..



That looks like burn in to me , does that line up with a station logo you watch frequently ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamGuy 09-03-2019 04:12 AM

It's almost in the middle of the screen. I can't really understand what kind of logo or static object that would be showing in the middle of the display? I can't think of anything.

thduke 09-03-2019 06:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RamGuy (Post 58506156)
Our LG OLED65C7V has developed this awkward "smearing" in the middle of the screen. According to my wife it's been there for some time, she claims it's very noticeable on yellow backgrounds as the smear appears green. Luckily for me I'm colour blind so I have next to no chance seeing it on yellow background but it's extremely noticeable on red backgrounds.

https://ibb.co/p3HZtRG

Any ideas what might be causing this? I've verified it all all inputs, including the built-in apps on the TV.


EDIT:

I just used this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQuelXsUYA as reference using the built-in YouTube-app and was comparing our LG OLED65B6V in the bedroom with the LG OLED65C7V in the living room and the C7V is performing much worse overall even if we ignore the obvious smearing in the middle of the screen. I'm pretty certain that it was not this bad when we purchased it so it seems like the colours are suffering and has been degrading a lot on our C7V as compared to the one year older B6V.

I don't think the C7V has been running any longer or harder compared to the B6V. We had the B6V for one year before we got the C7V and moved the B6V into the bedroom was under the same conditions for one year before it was moved. The C7V has been in the living room for 1,5 years. Obviously the living room TV is being used more and is overall on higher brightness as compared to the bedroom TV but overall we should have more hours on the B6V as it's one year older.

I'm not entirely sure how the warranty is regarding panel degradation like this? Makes me really sceptical about how bad it might look when it gets even older..

They replaced mine under warranty
look at the face with the green smear it showed up more with a yellow backgroung

RamGuy 09-03-2019 06:57 AM

I will be getting a LG technician over to inspect my panel. How did they replace your panel? I suppose I will have to bring the TV somewhere, will be really hard to get this TV anywhere considering how thin it is. I'm afraid to destroy it during transfer.

Nation66 09-03-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamGuy (Post 58506670)
I will be getting a LG technician over to inspect my panel. How did they replace your panel? I suppose I will have to bring the TV somewhere, will be really hard to get this TV anywhere considering how thin it is. I'm afraid to destroy it during transfer.

If it's a simple replacement, here's a YouTube video that shows how it would be done. I've had two screen replacements and both times they looked the same as in the video:



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.