AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

RamGuy 09-03-2019 07:53 AM

Wow, that sure looks promising! Let's see how my technician will cope with the fact that there is no room for him to lay the panel flat on the floor in our apartment.

aypues 09-03-2019 04:28 PM

Well after almost 2.5 yrs of ownership I discovered a new work around (haven’t been following the forum closely): I got an ethernet to usb 3 adapter to increase speed. Was getting around 80-90 mbps down as tested on the tv’s browser before...Now getting 150-160 down (what I actually pay for). Happy camper :)
From what I’ve been able to research on Reddit where I found this trick, the newer models don’t offer a usb 3.0 port! 8 and 9 series owners are out of luck!

Cipher 09-03-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aypues (Post 58509272)
Well after almost 2.5 yrs of ownership I discovered a new work around (haven’t been following the forum closely): I got an ethernet to usb 3 adapter to increase speed. Was getting around 80-90 mbps down as tested on the tv’s browser before...Now getting 150-160 down (what I actually pay for). Happy camper :)
From what I’ve been able to research on Reddit where I found this trick, the newer models don’t offer a usb 3.0 port! 8 and 9 series owners are out of luck!

Agreed, that option knocked off one of the biggest issues I had with this TV which was it's inability to handle high-bitrate 4K UHD remuxes from my Plex server. Now, there are no buffering issues and anything I throw at it plays perfectly.

Also, the move backwards to USB2 in subsequent years was pretty sad. I get that not many will ever use the increased bandwidth, but on a TV with a paltry 100MB Ethernet port, instead of Gigabit, the USB3 port is the best way to ensure that high bit rate video an be played properly. I can only assume the accountants at LG were trying to figure out how to save a few pennies, but this should never have occurred on these "flagship" TV's.

Outside of picture improvements, here is my main wish list for future models:

1) Full Lossless Audio Codec support from internal apps (eg DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos) so they can be passed over eARC
2) Image based Subtitle support (eg PGS)
3) Gigabit ports rather than 100MB ports
4) USB3 ports rather than USB2 ports

Xirtari 09-04-2019 05:15 AM

Beware, for some reason not all usb 3.0 are compatible. I have this one and it does work with my C7:
Cable Matters 202013 - Super Speed USB 3.0 RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NipNippo 09-04-2019 07:39 AM

Hi,

after using my 55C7 for about 1,5 years the big Compensation Cycle after 2000 hours uptime ran. After that the screen showed darker vertical lines (About 20cm width). you could see them with every colors. Very pronounced on orange and purple. I contacted the LG Service Hotline and sent them Pictures of the issue. They agreed for an oled panel replacement. About a few weeks later a service technican came and changed the panel. only the panel. he didtn reset any software setting, neither the uptime Counter in the service menu.
i noticed that the anti reflection coating was different. looked like a 2018 Panel. and after watching for a while i noticed that the brightness doesnt look right. hard to tell. maybe to bright washed out in the dark areas. maybe gamma, maybe colors not right.

And there was another Problem. the screen was bend. concave bend. very annoying. i contacted LG again and the agreed again to change the panel because of the bend screen.
After 2 weeks or so it got changed again. still a little bend, but much better. BUT same issues with colors and neer black being to brigght washed out, hard to described. I messed with all setting. didnt come to the right result. when i turn birghtness below 50 its to dark but on 50 its also not right. very frustrating. the second replacement panel also has a differnet anti reflection coating as the original panel from 2017 like the first replacement panel.

my theory is that the software from my 2017 logicboard doesnt match with the new replacement panel, which i think ist from a 2018 factory run (or maybe 2019). and that could be the reason that the picture feels not right. i miss the typical oled pop. my wife cant tell no difference between the original panel. but i think there is. i miss the typical oled feeling now. maybe because of the effect being to bright near black..

i called again the LG Service hotline and told them, that i want a whole new replacemnt unit. not only the panel. Because obviously it doesnt match the rest of the hardware. they told me i need to contact my dealer about that. i did. the dealer said they must submit a return (retoure) request to LG. After 8 weeks i havent heard anything form lg or my dealer. i asked the dealer and they checked again with lg. 1 week later i got response that i need to bring my tv to the dealer and a guy from lg will come to inspect the tv. the couldnt name me a time frame. i didnt accept that. because this means that a guy will pick up my tv from home. will possible bend the screen again. brings it to the dealer. then weeks will pass. and i will have no tv in that time. and it could be possible that the guy from lg will not find any issues. and then i will get back my tv without any improvements, possible bend from picking up wrong... i asked if they could send the inspector to me at home. the disagreed. now i am thinking about seeling and buying a new one. i see now other option.
I think i will lose a lot money. the C7 was very good before running the first compensation cycle. now im not happy with it.

do you have any experience with replacement panels?

could it be possible that my theory is right? that the 2017 electronics doesnt match with the new replacement panel (possible 2018 panel)?

Im very frustrated now with LG.

Thanks for your comments in advance

Nip

Cleveland Plasma 09-04-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuel.c.casilla (Post 58493600)
I have had 100 OLED light for SDR & HDR on my C6, B7, C7, and E8. No burn in ever. Maybe just dumb luck? I play mostly movies and PS4 Pro. For hours at a time. I do make sure however, I flip Screen Off energy saving, in picture settings before an extended absence from the room.

Seems like it is more luck of the draw........

Datagg 09-04-2019 08:50 AM

Speaking of vertical banding... For those who buy/play the game Blair Witch, be forewarned this game is a torture test for our OLEDS. The raised black level is unreal, bringing out vertical banding that you normally not seen in content. Macroblocking too... The game is seriously unoptimized. This on the XB1X also.

Anyways, for those venturing into the game... There is a fix for those bars... The game has a brightness slider, slide that sucker to a point to where you CANT see the left symbol. This took a game that gave me nightmares, (not from the game, but from those bars) and got rid of them completely. Night and day. Sure some shadow detail was lost, but it actually improved the game itself ambiance wise, not to mention getting rid of those unsightly banding issues.

These game companies need to stop with the elevated blacks... and optimization issues. They are torture tests for our beautiful sets. Anyways, hope this helps those who choose to play this game.

MoInSTL 09-04-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

I read about it on a different site. Posting it here so there is another reference.
https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/3395-g...t-tv/#comments

noobtv 09-05-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamGuy (Post 58506156)
Our LG OLED65C7V has developed this awkward "smearing" in the middle of the screen. According to my wife it's been there for some time, she claims it's very noticeable on yellow backgrounds as the smear appears green. Luckily for me I'm colour blind so I have next to no chance seeing it on yellow background but it's extremely noticeable on red backgrounds.

https://ibb.co/p3HZtRG

Any ideas what might be causing this? I've verified it all all inputs, including the built-in apps on the TV.

EDIT:

I just used this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQuelXsUYA as reference using the built-in YouTube-app and was comparing our LG OLED65B6V in the bedroom with the LG OLED65C7V in the living room and the C7V is performing much worse overall even if we ignore the obvious smearing in the middle of the screen. I'm pretty certain that it was not this bad when we purchased it so it seems like the colours are suffering and has been degrading a lot on our C7V as compared to the one year older B6V.

I don't think the C7V has been running any longer or harder compared to the B6V. We had the B6V for one year before we got the C7V and moved the B6V into the bedroom was under the same conditions for one year before it was moved. The C7V has been in the living room for 1,5 years. Obviously the living room TV is being used more and is overall on higher brightness as compared to the bedroom TV but overall we should have more hours on the B6V as it's one year older.

I'm not entirely sure how the warranty is regarding panel degradation like this? Makes me really sceptical about how bad it might look when it gets even older..

That definitely looks like burn-in to me.

Do you connect a PC to your TV at all? Or maybe a DVD player menu?

Is there anything that would have that shape on it in the middle, probably in a reddish color?

Some video players bring up a play/pause icon in the middle?

Have a look at https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test especially the Uniformity Photos near the end, and choose "red". eg http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/t...-red-large.jpg

Try viewing a full red screen (maybe there are youtube videos of that) to see the extent of the burn in.

patoberli 09-07-2019 12:42 PM

I was finally able to load @sonoftumble Dolby Vision calibration file! :)
It only took around 6 months...
How I did it: as described put it on stick and put stick into TV. Then (while DV content was playing) opened the Home menu, selected the Inputs, selected the USB-stick, opened all (by the TV generated new) folders and then the prompt finally appeared to install it :)

kensingtonwick 09-07-2019 06:19 PM

Anybody ever had what appears to be or resembles a faint grid of squares on their tv after performing a pixel refresh? It’s been five days since I did the refresh and was expecting it to go away with use but I can still see it in certain content such as skies or solid lighter colours.

Ph8te 09-07-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensingtonwick (Post 58527914)
Anybody ever had what appears to be or resembles a faint grid of squares on their tv after performing a pixel refresh? It’s been five days since I did the refresh and was expecting it to go away with use but I can still see it in certain content such as skies or solid lighter colours.

If it’s a square in the middle, then it’s a known issue. Contact LG for panel repair/replacement. Rtings did a video/article on it as well.

sonoftumble 09-08-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher (Post 58509354)
Agreed, that option knocked off one of the biggest issues I had with this TV which was it's inability to handle high-bitrate 4K UHD remuxes from my Plex server. Now, there are no buffering issues and anything I throw at it plays perfectly.

Also, the move backwards to USB2 in subsequent years was pretty sad. I get that not many will ever use the increased bandwidth, but on a TV with a paltry 100MB Ethernet port, instead of Gigabit, the USB3 port is the best way to ensure that high bit rate video an be played properly. I can only assume the accountants at LG were trying to figure out how to save a few pennies, but this should never have occurred on these "flagship" TV's.

Outside of picture improvements, here is my main wish list for future models:

1) Full Lossless Audio Codec support from internal apps (eg DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos) so they can be passed over eARC
2) Image based Subtitle support (eg PGS)
3) Gigabit ports rather than 100MB ports
4) USB3 ports rather than USB2 ports

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xirtari (Post 58511068)
Beware, for some reason not all usb 3.0 are compatible. I have this one and it does work with my C7:
Cable Matters 202013 - Super Speed USB 3.0 RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet adapter

Everyone does realize that current streaming services such as Vudu, Netflix, Prime, iTunes, etc. only require an internet feed of between 16 to 25 mbps? That's all that's needed to push out a 17.8Gb 4K Dolby Vision movie with MAT Atmos audio. Also, these services limit the streams to what is necessary in order to deliver the content - and the content itself has been mastered with those specific limitations in mind. That's the only way to get varying content to millions of viewers at the same time.

Having 100+ MB of bandwidth is only useful as something to brag about, or it might come in handy if everyone in the house is simultaneously streaming content from their individual Smart TV's, streaming boxes, etc. A UHD Blu-ray pushes out at max 80-100 mbps, so having all that bandwidth is in some ways overkill, and will have zero impact on picture quality. I have Spectrum internet (cable modem) which provides a 200 mbps pipe, but the only time I see that bandwidth is when I go to "speedtest.net". Our 7 series TV's will never take advantage of that much bandwidth, nor do they need to.
It's a good thing that bandwidth isn't water. We would all have flooded our homes by now! :D

Neoshinta 09-08-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58527994)
If it’s a square in the middle, then it’s a known issue. Contact LG for panel repair/replacement. Rtings did a video/article on it as well.

You know how I can prove if I get that problem in my B7? With some color in particular maybe?

Enviado desde mi SM-J710MN mediante Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin 09-08-2019 09:45 AM

Hi, haven’t been here for a while, Is there still an updated calibration file for Dolby Vision and settings? Since the last update mine looks terrible, thanks in advance.

kensingtonwick 09-08-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Do you have a link to that video? Also, it’s not one solid faint square. It looks like a grid on the whole screen containing numerous squares. The lines on the grid are darker (but faint) lines and the squares that are created by the grid seem to be the parts of the screen that are okay. Not sure if that makes sense but I will take a photo.

kensingtonwick 09-08-2019 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kensingtonwick (Post 58529704)
Do you have a link to that video? Also, it’s not one solid faint square. It looks like a grid on the whole screen containing numerous squares. The lines on the grid are darker (but faint) lines and the squares that are created by the grid seem to be the parts of the screen that are okay. Not sure if that makes sense but I will take a photo.

Attachment 2612620

kensingtonwick 09-08-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the incessant messaging lol. Decided to upload a video to YouTube.

aypues 09-08-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonoftumble (Post 58529186)
Everyone does realize that current streaming services such as Vudu, Netflix, Prime, iTunes, etc. only require an internet feed of between 16 to 25 mbps? That's all that's needed to push out a 17.8Gb 4K Dolby Vision movie with MAT Atmos audio. Also, these services limit the streams to what is necessary in order to deliver the content - and the content itself has been mastered with those specific limitations in mind. That's the only way to get varying content to millions of viewers at the same time.

Having 100+ MB of bandwidth is only useful as something to brag about, or it might come in handy if everyone in the house is simultaneously streaming content from their individual Smart TV's, streaming boxes, etc. A UHD Blu-ray pushes out at max 80-100 mbps, so having all that bandwidth is in some ways overkill, and will have zero impact on picture quality. I have Spectrum internet (cable modem) which provides a 200 mbps pipe, but the only time I see that bandwidth is when I go to "speedtest.net". Our 7 series TV's will never take advantage of that much bandwidth, nor do they need to.
It's a good thing that bandwidth isn't water. We would all have flooded our homes by now! :D

People keep saying that but in my experience, before the switch, I had experienced poor connection speeds occasionally while streaming YouTube in 4k and Amazon Prime Video in 4k HDR and it bothered me which is why I searched out a solution. Now it’s a thing of the past. Not going to argue the technicalities of it with anyone but that is the reality - for me anyway.

Ph8te 09-08-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neoshinta (Post 58529360)
You know how I can prove if I get that problem in my B7? With some color in particular maybe?

Enviado desde mi SM-J710MN mediante Tapatalk

No sorry I don’t

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensingtonwick (Post 58529748)
Attachment 2612620

Quote:

Originally Posted by kensingtonwick (Post 58529704)

Cipher 09-08-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry sonoftumble, but there are too many items here that are just plain wrong.

Very few people that are complaining about the USB2/100Mb Ethernet connectors are concerned about being able to stream 4K files from the internet. As I and others described, the issue today lies primarily with high bandwidth 4k UHD files (ie lossless remuxes straight from our discs). These files can exceed the 100 Mb in requirements when you combine the bandwidth required by both a UHD 4K video stream and a lossless audio track like Atmos.

Also, I sincerely hope no one is bragging about gigabit connectors given it's 2019 and pretty much every computer based product comes with this old connector. Many people have 10GB+ networks so gigabit isn't really a big deal. It's the home entertainment industry that is lagging, especially on the TV manufacturing side.

As for bandwidth limits, here are the bit rates for 4K UHD discs:

50 GB at 82 Mb
66 GB at 108 Mb
100 GB at 128 Mb

Combine this with Ethernet overhead which reduces the theoretical advertised maximum and it's pretty clear that 100 Mb Ethernet has nowhere near enough bandwidth for these files and is therefore not overkill.

In addition, I'm also anticipating increases in online streaming requirements and the increased popularity of 8k streams. Personally, I feel that a $2000-$3000 TV should at least come with an Ethernet port and related chipset capable of supporting all of today's file based options, especially given the relatively small price difference between those two parts.

To be honest, you are not the only one who feels this way when it comes to these TV's however this position reminds me of that apocryphal quote from Bill Gates "640K ought to be enough for anybody." The problem as I see it, is that we don't even have enough bandwidth to handle all requirements from today's technology and will likely run into issues in the near future with other sources as technology advances.

rsonnens 09-08-2019 06:01 PM

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher (Post 58531128)
I'm sorry sonoftumble, but there are too many items here that are just plain wrong.

Very few people that are complaining about the USB2/100Mb Ethernet connectors are concerned about being able to stream 4K files from the internet. As I and others described, the issue today lies primarily with high bandwidth 4k UHD files (ie lossless remuxes straight from our discs). These files can exceed the 100 Mb in requirements when you combine the bandwidth required by both a UHD 4K video stream and a lossless audio track like Atmos.

Also, I sincerely hope no one is bragging about gigabit connectors given it's 2019 and pretty much every computer based product comes with this old connector. Many people have 10GB+ networks so gigabit isn't really a big deal. It's the home entertainment industry that is lagging, especially on the TV manufacturing side.

As for bandwidth limits, here are the bit rates for 4K UHD discs:

50 GB at 82 Mb

66 GB at 108 Mb

100 GB at 128 Mb

Combine this with Ethernet overhead which reduces the theoretical advertised maximum and it's pretty clear that 100 Mb Ethernet has nowhere near enough bandwidth for these files and is therefore not overkill.

In addition, I'm also anticipating increases in online streaming requirements and the increased popularity of 8k streams. Personally, I feel that a $2000-$3000 TV should at least come with an Ethernet port and related chipset capable of supporting all of today's file based options, especially given the relatively small price difference between those two parts.

To be honest, you are not the only one who feels this way when it comes to these TV's however this position reminds me of that apocryphal quote from Bill Gates "640K ought to be enough for anybody." The problem as I see it, is that we don't even have enough bandwidth to handle all requirements from today's technology and will likely run into issues in the near future with other sources as technology advances.

How would you stream those files AND play them on the LG assuming you had faster Ethernet on the LG.

I thing sonoftumble is correct with regards to networking on the LG.

I myself have a full gigabit network in my house with gigabit internet (in both directions) and having a faster network on the LG would not help because no one streams higher rates and won’t for a long long time and not with the apps on your TV.

And you are future proofed because you can buy any streaming device that meets your needs and plug into the hdmi ports.

kensingtonwick 09-08-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph8te (Post 58530428)
No sorry I don’t

https://youtu.be/nX0AXzWm2cI

Thanks for the link. That is definitely very different from what I am experiencing although I think it might be going away. Seems a little more faint now. I guess only time will tell.

Cipher 09-08-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsonnens (Post 58531292)
How would you stream those files AND play them on the LG assuming you had faster Ethernet on the LG.

I thing sonoftumble is correct with regards to networking on the LG.

I myself have a full gigabit network in my house with gigabit internet (in both directions) and having a faster network on the LG would not help because no one streams higher rates and won’t for a long long time and not with the apps on your TV.

And you are future proofed because you can buy any streaming device that meets your needs and plug into the hdmi ports.

Those 4k UHD files are streamed using any of the following internal apps:

1) Plex app (native)
2) Xplay (3rd party plex app)
3) Emby
4) DLNA

Most people are using one or more of the above. For my family, I have a Plex server with over 1000 Blu-ray remuxes and over 100 UHD remuxes. On the video side, everything played perfectly except for around 10% of the UHD remuxes since their bitrate was too high.

I recently discovered that USB3 Ethernet gigabit adapters worked on my 2017 LG and since then I've been able to play anything I can throw at this set. Unfortunately, LG went back to USB2 for 2018/2019 and are still using 100Mb Ethernet ports so those high-bitrate files are still an issue on the newer OLED's. I also use an external player (Shield) when i want lossless audio.

rsonnens 09-08-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher (Post 58531734)
Those 4k UHD files are streamed using any of the following internal apps:

1) Plex app (native)
2) Xplay (3rd party plex app)
3) Emby
4) DLNA

Most people are using one or more of the above. For my family, I have a Plex server with over 1000 Blu-ray remuxes and over 100 UHD remuxes. On the video side, everything played perfectly except for around 10% of the UHD remuxes since their bitrate was too high.

I recently discovered that USB3 Ethernet gigabit adapters worked on my 2017 LG and since then I've been able to play anything I can throw at this set. Unfortunately, LG went back to USB2 for 2018/2019 and are still using 100Mb Ethernet ports so those high-bitrate files are still an issue on the newer OLED's. I also use an external player (Shield) when i want lossless audio.

These are all WebOS apps available from the LG AppStore that can decode and play directly on the TV? If so then I will agree that a faster connection might be of benefit.

I would say you could get faster using WiFi but WiFi is also crippled. It’s almost (maybe really are) like the electronics were shared with the older raspberry pi 3b+ which has identical issues, I attached a USB3 Ethernet adapter to boost the speeds on my pi but I get exactly what you saw on the LG. I just upgraded to a Pi 4, which does have a little better networking performance but I still get 1/2 the rated speed.

As far as those apps, are You really using the LG or another inexpensive device connected via hdmi such as Shield which is what most folks do (or an ATV4). You do know, the LG will NOT stream high quality audio over to a sound system with this setup which is why people use external devices and switch thru a good AVR.

Finally I’ve seen same crappy networking (actually worse) and the high end sony’s From the same model year.

Cipher 09-08-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsonnens (Post 58531806)
These are all WebOS apps available from the LG AppStore that can decode and play directly on the TV? If so then I will agree that a faster connection might be of benefit.

I would say you could get faster using WiFi but WiFi is also crippled. It’s almost (maybe really are) like the electronics were shared with the older raspberry pi 3b+ which has identical issues, I attached a USB3 Ethernet adapter to boost the speeds on my pi but I get exactly what you saw on the LG. I just upgraded to a Pi 4, which does have a little better networking performance but I still get 1/2 the rated speed.

As far as those apps, are You really using the LG or another inexpensive device connected via hdmi such as Shield which is what most folks do (or an ATV4). You do know, the LG will NOT stream high quality audio over to a sound system with this setup which is why people use external devices and switch thru a good AVR.

Finally I’ve seen same crappy networking (actually worse) and the high end sony’s From the same model year.

Yes, these are all WebOS apps that people are using. In theory their WiFi module should have been good enough given it's rated capacity, but I experienced issues with highly rated Ubiquiti and Amplifi networking gear, and from other similar posts I've read I'm not the only one. Also, I prefer hardwired Ethernet when possible and given the results I've seen I no longer consider their wireless option as a feasible alternative.

Within my home, my family uses Roku/Firestick devices on the other 4k/2k TV's as that's good enough for them and they could care less about the 4K movies since I also offer 2k versions for them.

For myself, I've got an nVidia shield connected to my B7 Oled and I use either of the following options for viewing:

1) LG WebOs - Plex or Xplay app
2) nVidia Shield - Plex app

I love the convenience of the WebOS apps and definitely prefer to use them. However, if I'm not listening by headphone (have to do this at night with kids) and I know the film offers a great soundtrack then I'll switch over to the Shield.

The missing lossless audio support for internal apps is definitely a big issue for me and I'm hoping this is addressed over the next couple of release cycles. The ability to fire up a native WebOS app and stream a lossless 4k UHD remux to my set while also sending a lossless audio stream like Atmos/DTS:X over eARC to my receiver is what I'm waiting for with my next LG OLED. There are threads here at AVSForum and the LG forums also discussing this issue so hopefully LG are able to add this to their sets in 2020/2021.

rsonnens 09-08-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher (Post 58531892)
Yes, these are all WebOS apps that people are using. In theory their WiFi module should have been good enough given it's rated capacity, but I experienced issues with highly rated Ubiquiti and Amplifi networking gear, and from other similar posts I've read I'm not the only one. Also, I prefer hardwired Ethernet when possible and given the results I've seen I no longer consider their wireless option as a feasible alternative.

Within my home, my family uses Roku/Firestick devices on the other 4k/2k TV's as that's good enough for them and they could care less about the 4K movies since I also offer 2k versions for them.

For myself, I've got an nVidia shield connected to my B7 Oled and I use either of the following options for viewing:

1) LG WebOs - Plex or Xplay app

2) nVidia Shield - Plex app

I love the convenience of the WebOS apps and definitely prefer to use them. However, if I'm not listening by headphone (have to do this at night with kids) and I know the film offers a great soundtrack then I'll switch over to the Shield.

The missing lossless audio support for internal apps is definitely a big issue for me and I'm hoping this is addressed over the next couple of release cycles. The ability to fire up a native WebOS app and stream a lossless 4k UHD remux to my set while also sending a lossless audio stream like Atmos/DTS:X over eARC to my receiver is what I'm waiting for with my next LG OLED. There are threads here at AVSForum and the LG forums also discussing this issue so hopefully LG are able to add this to their sets in 2020/2021.

Got it.

I too also always go hardwired here ever possible for many reasons.

I hope with earc they will have better networking too.

My experience is that wireless is much much worse on my LG than wired. My wired gets 90 mbps (I may be confused because I have not tested in a long time) but wireless, and I have a supper strong signal, was significantly worse and flaky.

Xirtari 09-09-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

As @Cipher has already stated, Gigabit Ethernet is definitely useful for us users that locally stream 4K remuxed rips via native WebOs apps that can profit from 100+ Mbps (Plex, Xplay). Not only our LG TV ethernet port is limited to 100 Mbits, but also the network buffer/cache memory is so small that the only way to avoid stuttering is a high steady bandwidth throughput well above 100 Mbps.

But nevertheless, this scenario should only apply to a very small percentage of users.

Xirtari 09-09-2019 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher (Post 58531734)

It might be useful to point out that USB 2.0 can provide up to 480 Mbps transfer rates, so 2018/2019 models can easily benefit by USB 2.0 Ethernet adapters. What’s more, USB 3.0 is backward compatible and can directly be slotted into one of the available 2.0 ports. Just bare in mind that, for some reason, not all adapters are compatible.

patoberli 09-09-2019 07:09 AM

Just wondering, which country / legal streaming site allows you to get 4k uncompressed video?
As far as I know, most major countries deem movie ripping illegal, because of that, barely any 100 Mbps sources exist ;)
Yes I know, this contains some sarcasm. I wonder what the bitrate of a new 4k drone is, that video might break the 100 Mbps….

Regarding 10 Gbps networks, at least here in Europe barely any home has that. Companies some, but home users? Nope. You also can't buy in most retail stores any 10 Gbps equipment, or maybe 1 out of 15 offered switches. So in no case "many people".