2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980476Likes

post #36361 of 36531 Old 10-04-2019, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric23 View Post
I have a LG OLED65B7A-U that I purchased in Nov. 2017. About 3 weeks ago I turn on my TV with the cable box source and there was no picture, but there was audio. I tried several power on and off cycles to no avail. I then unplugged the TV for around 15 mins. and again to no avail. I gave up and unplugged the TV overnight. The next day I plug in the TV and it worked. It worked for about a week before the problem recurred. I read somewhere to try to unplug the TV for 15 mins. and then hold down the power button on the TV for 60 sec. and then replug the TV and power on. This actually worked. Unfortunately the issue recurred today (10/03/19). After several attempts, the TV started working again.

Has this happened to anyone else here? Does anyone know the cause and long-term solution? Unfortunately this is my only TV so this is a major inconvenience. Thankfully it is still under my Chase credit card extended warranty benefit should I need repair.

I do recall that the day this issue first occurred, the digital clock on my stove was blinking indicating a power outage overnight. Could this be related to the issue?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Yesterday I had my electricity meter changed and the guy doing it said I should turn my TV, PC and set top box off as they are regarded as sensitive electrical appliances and if they were on at the time he cut the supply then they would go off but may not come back on when the supply was restored. He did say though that it was OK just to put them in standby and I didn't need to power them off at the wall.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36362 of 36531 Old 10-04-2019, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,
Guys I need your help.
I have my B7 connected to my AV receiver via HDMI and I play stuff on the tv and get sound on my surrounds VIA ARC.
The problem is that whenever I play something in the NETFLIX App, the sound starts cutting out. The signal to AV Reciever gets intermittent I guess.
There is no problem when I play media files from external storage connected to TV. Nor it happens on YouTube.
Help guys what might be the issue?
Regards
post #36363 of 36531 Old 10-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Hello

Is the YouTube app still not doing Dolby Vision?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Displays: LG 65C7V - Optoma HD20 - Panasonic 50PZ80 - Samsung 32C650 - LG M2380D
Speakers: Focal Aria 948- Focal Aria 906 - Focal CC900 - BK XLS200 MK2 - B&W CCM362
Electronics: Roksan K3 - Yamaha RX-A2070 - Oppo 203 - PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36364 of 36531 Old 10-04-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6570 Post(s)
Liked: 6330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Hello

It hasn’t and I doubt it ever will. YouTube doesn’t support DV on any platform.
Deckard71 likes this.
post #36365 of 36531 Old 10-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
Hello

No, just HDR10 and HLG - any other HDR support is unlikely for the foreseeable future.
Deckard71 likes this.
post #36366 of 36531 Old 10-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6767 Post(s)
Liked: 6773
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudexxi View Post
OK - so, 3 days ago, I went to turn on my 16 month old LG B7.. I heard the little tones it plays when it goes from standby to on.. Then nothing.. I tried turning it on/off.. Nothing.. I tried power cycling.. Nothing.. I can hear a little click when I hit the power button on and off.. I've got the little red LED IR light at the bottom - that's on.. But, the TV wont power up.. I tried replacing the power board.. No dice.. Same behavior.. I'm searching the internet and see that other people have had a similar issue.. But, haven't found a solution.. Any ideas? Is it one of the other boards, maybe? A bad cable? I'd really prefer to fix the TV.. The picture is great - and I still consider it a new TV.... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Did you happen to use a credit card that adds an extended warranty for free? for 1-2 years extra?
post #36367 of 36531 Old 10-05-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayman almaghamsi View Post
Hi gays

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_j05 View Post
Lmao!!
And you just coincidentally happened to mention your ass? Interesting.
steven_j05 likes this.
post #36368 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I reverted to using one cable out of the Oppo 203 (carrying both audio and video) to my Denon 4200 so that I can take full advantage of the HDMI2/ARC cable to the TV.

Real Cinema appears to work better with - mostly - less lip sync issues which suggests the TV is sending delay data back to the receiver.

However.... two questions/issues...

1. When switching from films to extra features I have noticed the audio goes out of sync again. Why is this happening? If it's still 24p it should be fine and, if not, real cinema should automatically disengage right?

2. When navigating disc menus on Dolby Vision discs the TV periodically "loses signal" from the player and the screensaver comes on. This happens occasionally when sending video via the 2nd HDMI output on the Oppo directly to the TV but happens a lot more when routing via the receiver. Is there a way to keep thr TV focused on the signal?
post #36369 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
So I reverted to using one cable out of the Oppo 203 (carrying both audio and video) to my Denon 4200 so that I can take full advantage of the HDMI2/ARC cable to the TV.

Real Cinema appears to work better with - mostly - less lip sync issues which suggests the TV is sending delay data back to the receiver.

1. When switching from films to extra features I have noticed the audio goes out of sync again. Why is this happening? If it's still 24p it should be fine and, if not, real cinema should automatically disengage right?

2. When navigating disc menus on Dolby Vision discs the TV periodically "loses signal" from the player and the screensaver comes on. This happens occasionally when sending video via the 2nd HDMI output on the Oppo directly to the TV but happens a lot more when routing via the receiver. Is there a way to keep thr TV focused on the signal?
To see 24 fps, Real Cinema needs to be ON and True Motion OFF. Turning ON True Motion makes Real Cinema be grayed out (even if it displays ON, it's disabled). When True Motion is on, it does 3:2 pull down from 24p to 60Hz and to 120Hz using frame interpolation. But, there's no guarantee extras were shot using 24 Hz. Nonetheless, that's a lot of processing and you may be capable of noticing it especially when routing via arc.
There's no expected reason for the intermittent DV signal. If it were me, I'd use the Oppo and Denon threads and verify the entire setup in depth; meaning I'd focus on open minded trouble shooting of all components and sources. To start I'd plug the Oppo directly into the TV and use the TV's speakers and look for any changes, then try a movie on a USB stick, then route that movie through ARC to the receiver, etc.

Your experience is not typical or expected.
post #36370 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post

To see 24 fps, Real Cinema needs to be ON and True Motion OFF. Turning ON True Motion makes Real Cinema be grayed out (even if it displays ON, it's disabled). When True Motion is on, it does 3:2 pull down from 24p to 60Hz and to 120Hz using frame interpolation. But, there's no guarantee extras were shot using 24 Hz. Nonetheless, that's a lot of processing and you may be capable of noticing it especially when routing via arc.
There's no expected reason for the intermittent DV signal. If it were me, I'd use the Oppo and Denon threads and verify the entire setup in depth; meaning I'd focus on open minded trouble shooting of all components and sources. To start I'd plug the Oppo directly into the TV and use the TV's speakers and look for any changes, then try a movie on a USB stick, then route that movie through ARC to the receiver, etc.

True Motion is always off. I hate it. So it's not that.

The Dolby Vision issue isn't as uncommon as you think. It was widely reported (including with LG TVs) when The Last Jedi came out. It just seems to happen more when routed via the receiver that when direct to the TV.
post #36371 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
My C9 panel developed a black vertical line down the entire screen? Has anyone here have that problem with their OLED? Also how are LG replacement panels? At this point I lose my pro calibration that I paid for and want my money back for a 2020 model. I’d also take an upgrade to an E9 but the last thing I want is LG to Frankenstein my C9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #36372 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post

It's got to the point that I've now disabled all "cinema" modes - with all the nonsense processing that comes with it - and am just going to use Game mode going forwards. There's just too much variance between material that syncs perfectly and stuff that doesn't, even within the same disc! I've replicated the settings of Technicolor Expert as much as possible, within Game mode, and there are no apparent lip sync issues at all (so far).

The screen saver coming on (occasionally) while navigating Dolby Vision menus (most recently Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4K) is a separate issue... but one thing at a time!
post #36373 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 09:49 AM

2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
My C9 panel developed a black vertical line down the entire screen? Has anyone here have that problem with their OLED? Also how are LG replacement panels? At this point I lose my pro calibration that I paid for and want my money back for a 2020 model. I’d also take an upgrade to an E9 but the last thing I want is LG to Frankenstein my C9.

Probably better asked in the C9 owners thread if they replace the panel you’re basically getting a new TV with “old” frame.
post #36374 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Probably better asked in the C9 owners thread

I have, seems like I’m the only one with a lemon at the moment.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #36375 of 36531 Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I have, seems like I’m the only one with a lemon at the moment.

You’re basically getting a new tv with a new panel that’s inside your old frame. Plenty reports in this thread of owners who have had panel replacements. As with anything there is always a chance of something being worse there is also a chance of something being better.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #36376 of 36531 Old 10-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
LG OLED 65” C7 Calibration ( OLED65C7P ) FW: 05.80.15 - ( CALIBRATION REV. Easter 2019 )

HAPPY EASTER!

The settings below are ALL NEW and vary from slight updates to more than slight.

At this point, I'm thinking that our 7 series OLEDS are probably approaching 3,000 to over 4,000 hours of viewing time. My C7 has 4,000+ hours on it, and is our everyday workhorse. Recently, I noticed that blue had fallen off, so I decided to fully recalibrate SDR - [technicolor Expert], Dolby Vision - [Cinema (User)], and slightly updated HDR10/HLG [technicolor Expert].
Here are the new settings in all their glory. They may help "resurrect" the picture quality of your 7 series. ( Sorry for the Easter themed play on words ).

Dolby Vision notes: This new "Easter '19" Dolby Vision calibration looks the best so far. There is better lower and mid-range luminance performance which further helps with eliminating the “darker” look of the “Cinema (User)” picture mode, while still providing all those spectral highlights. The colors look much more natural now as well.

The Calman “DV custom" workflow allows the calibrator to create a special file just for 2017 LG OLED’s, which is saved to a thumb drive and then loaded into the TV. Spectracal, Dolby, and LG worked very closely together to create this awesome workflow.

NOTE: Below, I have written a quick "how to" with instructions for making your own DV calibration file. This way you can install without needing to PM me for the file. Over the last several months, I have received literally 100's of requests for this file, and it has become a bit too much to manage and also juggle things with my day job. So, if you are somewhat computer savvy and know how to create a plain text file, you should not have any problems cooking your own DV calibration file. If you still need me to send the new file, feel free to PM me with your email address, and I will send it off. Just trying to lighten the load a bit.

PERSONAL OBSERVATION: I am really enjoying the new settings. The thing that strikes me the most is how SDR almost takes on the characteristics of HDR.
-----------------
SDR Settings
SDR Picture Mode:  “technicolor Expert”
Energy Saving: Off

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT:  45 ( med bright viewing environment )
Contrast:  85
Brightness: 53
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint:  0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( If you have 100% lighting control in the room and can get it really dark, then try BT.1886 or 2.4 )

WHITE BALANCE
Color Temperature: Warm2

Method: 2 Points
Low - R: -5, G: -5, B: 0
High - R: -9 G: -3, B: 4

Method: 20 Points - (NOTE: I skipped the 5% increments with SDR as it was not necessary in order to achieve almost perfect white balance behavior ).
100 IRE, R: -5, G: 1, B: 0
90 IRE R: -7, G: -2, B: -4
80 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
70 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
60 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
50 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
40 IRE R: 0, G: 0, B: 0
30 IRE R:-4, G: -4, B: -3
20 IRE R: 0, G: -2, B: -4
10 IRE R: 3, G: 4, B: 0

COLOR MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
RED Sat -1, Tint 7,  Lum -9
GREEN Sat -2, Tint 10, Lum -2
BLUE Sat 1, Tint 4, Lum 0
CYAN Sat 3, Tint 7, Lum 1
MAGENTA Sat 0, Tint 1, Lum -1
YELLOW Sat -1, Tint -1, Lum -2

ISF OLED LIGHT SUGGESTED SETTINGS - SDR - LG OLED 7 SERIES PANELS
BRIGHT ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 49 = TV Foot Lumens of 55 ( Range 50-60 )
DIM ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 36 = TV Foot Lumens of 45 ( Range 40-50 )
DARK ROOM:
OLED LIGHT @ 25 = TV Foot Lumens of 35 ( Range 30-40 )

---------------------
HDR10 Settings
HDR-10 Picture Mode: technicolor Expert

BASIC SETTINGS:
OLED LIGHT: 85 (Default: 100) -- This setting will vary depending what nit levels the content was mastered as well as room brightness. There’s not really a way to know the mastered nit levels of any given title without a Lumagen which can read the metadata. So this is really a “how does it look to you” kind of thing. The 85 setting seems to be a “happy" medium, but there's also eye comfort levels to consider.
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 55
Tint: 0

EXPERT CONTROLS
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2 ( default and greyed out )

WHITE BALANCE
Color Temperature: Warm2
High - R: 1, G: -1, B: -2
Low - R: -7 G: -4, B: 11

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

------------------
DOLBY VISION
Dolby Vision Picture Mode - Cinema (User)
OLED LIGHT: 55
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Super Resolution - Off
Edge Enhancer - On
Color Filter - Off
Gamma 2.2 - (Default - Greyed Out)

High R: -7, G: 0, B: 9
Low R: 3, G: -3, B: 3

Method: 20 Points
100 IRE R: 0, G: 1, B: -4
95 IRE R: -2, G: -4, B: -6
90 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -6
85 IRE R: -3, G: -6, B: -4
80 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -5
75 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8
70 IRE R: -7, G: -6, B: -8
65 IRE R: -9, G: -9, B: -9
60 IRE R: -7, G: -7, B: -8
55 IRE: -15, G: -12, B: -16
50 IRE R: -15, G: -11, B: -16
45 IRE R: -14, G: -13, B: -16
40 IRE R: -6, G: -7, B: -8
35 IRE R: -4, G: -5, B: -8
30 IRE R: 10, G: 9, B: 8
25 IRE R: 17, G: 17, B: 16
20 IRE R: 22, G: 22, B: 23
15 IRE R: 21, G: 22, B: 22
10 IRE R: 19, G: 21, B: 21
5 IRE R: 11 G: 14, B: 12

PICTURE OPTIONS
Noise Reduction : Low
MPEG Noise Reduction: Low
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On ( Default - greyed out )
Motion Eye Care: Off
TrueMotion: Off

------------------
THE DOLBY VISION CALIBRATION FILE

1) Create a plain text file and name it as follows WITHOUT the "quotes":

"DolbyVision_UserDisplayConfiguration.txt"

2) Copy the following and paste into the newly created text file. Be certain to REMOVE the "quotes":

"# Dolby Vision User Display Configuration File
# Generated by 5.9.2.59 on 3/19/2019
# Display: Unspecified
# DM Version:
PictureMode = 2
Tmax = 759.590301184834
Tmin = 1E-11
Tgamma = 2.2
ColorPrimaries = 0.6776 0.3223 0.2604 0.6666 0.1422 0.0556 0.3127 0.3290
TLMS2RGBmat = 4.19055329601013 -3.3243228097014 0.133769513691273 -0.92778533729114 2.08407932269406 -0.156293985402918 0.0691538802229898 -0.155635576827132 1.08648169660414"

3) Save and copy the file to a blank thumb drive that has been formatted as "FAT32".

4) To install, start by playing Dolby Vision content on the TV, and ( IMPORTANT ) set the picture mode to “Cinema” and NOT "Cinema (Home)”.
Next, plug in the thumb drive into USB port on the side of the TV. (Make certain that there is nothing on the thumb drive but that file. No folders, etc.) You may have to go into the Photos & Video prompt, and then close ( X ) it out in order for the TV to recognize the DV calibration file. In fact, I finally yanked out the stick - plugged it back in - and then finally got the prompt from the TV. If you still have problems getting the TV to recognize the file, you might try power cycling the TV. Finally, several of our other members told me that they had good results after formatting the thumb drive as a FAT32 Master Boot Record.

Once the TV recognizes the file, you will be asked if you would like to install it. Answer "Yes" and less than a second later ( it's a very small < 1K ) the file is loaded.

The TV will then respond that the next time you load Dolby Vision content, it will load the new settings. And you are done.

Eject the thumb drive and enjoy.

The settings for SDR technicolor expert mode can that be used watching cable/satellite TV?. What difference did you see between this mode and ISF expert bright/dark?.
post #36377 of 36531 Old 10-07-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky908 View Post
The settings for SDR technicolor expert mode can that be used watching cable/satellite TV?. What difference did you see between this mode and ISF expert bright/dark?.
Here's the technical explanation directly from Technicolor:

"In addition to adjusting the peak luminance, Technicolor has identified an alternative white point that accounts for the difference in color perception affecting all wide color gamut displays, including, but not limited to LG OLED's. Technicolor color scientists consider that this white point is a closer representation to D65 used for creating content, and is based on CIE 1931 2 degree target of 0.300, 0.327 rather than the traditionally used, but problematic 0.313, 0.329."

Basically this means that the white point in technicolor Expert has a slightly different temperature than ISF Expert and should match up better with what's coming out of the studios. When technicolor Expert was first added to the 2017 LG OLED's, I ran unadjusted out-of-the-box pre-calibration scans of both picture modes. Technicolor Expert was easily the most accurate.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #36378 of 36531 Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Here's the technical explanation directly from Technicolor:

"In addition to adjusting the peak luminance, Technicolor has identified an alternative white point that accounts for the difference in color perception affecting all wide color gamut displays, including, but not limited to LG OLED's. Technicolor color scientists consider that this white point is a closer representation to D65 used for creating content, and is based on CIE 1931 2 degree target of 0.300, 0.327 rather than the traditionally used, but problematic 0.313, 0.329."

Basically this means that the white point in technicolor Expert has a slightly different temperature than ISF Expert and should match up better with what's coming out of the studios. When technicolor Expert was first added to the 2017 LG OLED's, I ran unadjusted out-of-the-box pre-calibration scans of both picture modes. Technicolor Expert was easily the most accurate.

Interesting read. I tried your updated settings the picture looks good. I like the temperature of technicolor than ISF expert.
post #36379 of 36531 Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo. Last night had a green stuck pixel appeared..... visible as hell. Shut the TV off in disgust, as i have gone thru this before.... Turned it on today and its gone. I hope the TV was just trolling me.... and not a sign of this to appear for good down the line. This the 3rd or 4th panel now, this C7 has taken me to hell and back..... give me some damn peace dammit.

Ok, rage over. carry on.

LG C7 65"|Xbox One X|PS4 Pro|Nvidia Shield
post #36380 of 36531 Old 10-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hello comrades,

I have encountered the AVR blocks a PC from reading the TV's EDID issue. Is there any way around this? When connecting a PC to the B7 through an STRDN-1080, I have to create a custom resolution to get 1080p at 120Hz. Without the receiver, the PC is able to read the proper inputs the TV natively accepts.
post #36381 of 36531 Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronub View Post
Hello comrades,

I have encountered the AVR blocks a PC from reading the TV's EDID issue. Is there any way around this? When connecting a PC to the B7 through an STRDN-1080, I have to create a custom resolution to get 1080p at 120Hz. Without the receiver, the PC is able to read the proper inputs the TV natively accepts.
1080p120 is not listed as a supported video format in the STRDN-1080 manual, so it's not that surprising that the mode is not advertised to the PC.

You have created a custom resolution on the PC to work around the issue (lucky that works!), so not sure what other workaround you were looking to find?

Do any of the screen overlays like volume sliders or OSD work when you are operating at 1080p120? I suspect that it is the internal OSD overlay that would be the limiting factor here.

You could petition Sony to have the mode added as a supported feature, but not sure how far you'd get with that.
post #36382 of 36531 Old 10-09-2019, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Assuming you're gaming, wouldn't you get added latency by running it through the AVR?

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
post #36383 of 36531 Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronub View Post
Hello comrades,

Unless there is a way to load a custom EDID into your PC's video card, it's going to be a challenge. AVR's are problematic because in many instances - ( depending on brand ) - they will not pass an unmolested signal from the source to the display. I have encountered this even after "turning off" any video processing features on the AVR. It really depends on whether the HDMI circuits on the AVR are using DSC compression vs. CSC. CSC is a good thing because in most cases it will support Dolby Vision pass through.

In your case, I suspect that the AVR is probably not blocking the TV's EDID - it is instead creating a hybrid combo (AVR/TV) EDID which is unrecognizable by the source. The cure may cost more than a new AVR, but I've been using below for the past year. Basically I run one of the outputs direct to the display, and the other output to the AVR just for audio. No video or audio sync issues, and it passes all known HDR formats without any compression. It has extensive EDID management features and will read your display's EDID and apply it to any of your sources. It handles Dolby Vision at 60Hz.

https://www.avproedge.com/ac-mx42-auhd.html

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #36384 of 36531 Old 10-10-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Just crossed 6k hours, running strong

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #36385 of 36531 Old 10-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
I'm over 4200 and no problems, still loving the OLED.

I enjoy the picture quality every day.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
post #36386 of 36531 Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
I'm over 4200 and no problems, still loving the OLED.

I enjoy the picture quality every day.
Mine failed at 5,300 hours of total power on time. It was working perfectly up until then and then Bam!

It's a real shame that LG's warranty is only 1 year.

============================
Grouchy Golf
post #36387 of 36531 Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3173
^ It's just not LG that is only 1 year. Don't understand the shame comment - see Sony, Samsung, Vizio, etc.
Easy to buy an extended warranty from Mack, Square Trade, etc. if you want extended coverage. When I got my first plasma years ago (1992), bought a warranty from Mack due to how much it cost. Plus as noted above if you purchase using your favorite credit card it is very likely that a year (or more depending on the issuer) has been added to your warranty. I bought at Costco - so I'm good for 5 years. Sorry for your troubles, but if you replace it there are inexpensive ways to extend coverage.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #36388 of 36531 Old 10-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
AVR Editing EDID

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuade View Post
1080p120 is not listed as a supported video format in the STRDN-1080 manual, so it's not that surprising that the mode is not advertised to the PC.

You have created a custom resolution on the PC to work around the issue (lucky that works!), so not sure what other workaround you were looking to find?

Do any of the screen overlays like volume sliders or OSD work when you are operating at 1080p120? I suspect that it is the internal OSD overlay that would be the limiting factor here.

You could petition Sony to have the mode added as a supported feature, but not sure how far you'd get with that.
I wanted to understand what was causing the TV's video formats to be incorrectly read. I thought the AVR was able to pass the video information through undisturbed.

The overlays did not work right you are! Interesting how the AVR would handle this. Would it recognize the video format is unsupported and ignore the video stream altogether or still attempt to display the OSD and encounter an error due to the unsupported video format? These are my two guesses.

I would like to ideally be able to just pass the video signal directly through the receiver to the telly. Then it wouldn't matter what video formats the receiver supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Assuming you're gaming, wouldn't you get added latency by running it through the AVR?
If the AVR has added latency it's been nigh unnoticeable. I have all the processing turned off on the AVR except for the Phantom Surround Back feature which works surprisingly well if I might add. The only work other than this the AVR should be doing is converting the digital audio to analog and feeding the speakers. The experience has been wonderful.

Quote:
Unless there is a way to load a custom EDID into your PC's video card, it's going to be a challenge. AVR's are problematic because in many instances - ( depending on brand ) - they will not pass an unmolested signal from the source to the display. I have encountered this even after "turning off" any video processing features on the AVR. It really depends on whether the HDMI circuits on the AVR are using DSC compression vs. CSC. CSC is a good thing because in most cases it will support Dolby Vision pass through.

In your case, I suspect that the AVR is probably not blocking the TV's EDID - it is instead creating a hybrid combo (AVR/TV) EDID which is unrecognizable by the source. The cure may cost more than a new AVR, but I've been using below for the past year. Basically I run one of the outputs direct to the display, and the other output to the AVR just for audio. No video or audio sync issues, and it passes all known HDR formats without any compression. It has extensive EDID management features and will read your display's EDID and apply it to any of your sources. It handles Dolby Vision at 60Hz.

https://www.avproedge.com/ac-mx42-auhd.html
If the EDID is unrecognizable by the GPU why is the GPU still able to determine most of the supported video formats? Perhaps it's guessing or they are defaults? Thank you for your informative response. Your solution is indeed too expensive and beyond my scope but still interesting to learn! I will stick with the custom resolution route.

Thank you all for your replies!
post #36389 of 36531 Old 10-13-2019, 02:59 AM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

I'm over 10000 in a little over 2 years. Been an amazing TV so far.
Ricker62 and Rodney Nicotine like this.
post #36390 of 36531 Old 10-13-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Little over 8300 little over 2 years lgg7p 👍
Rodney Nicotine likes this.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page