2017 LG C7-B7 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 1217 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 980524Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #36481 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 03:54 AM
Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Disney+ in 4K Dolby Vision - but no 5.1/Atmos

As mentioned, the D+ app is available with 4K Dolby Vision - however, it lacks 5.1 (or Atmos) audio - its just DD 2.0.

LG's app availability notification did mention it would be updated soon to support the magic remote - hopefully that update will also include 5.1/Atmos support as well.

(the Roku and XB1X apps already have 5.1 (and Atmos?) support...)
TitusTroy likes this.
LG8600User is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36482 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5155 Post(s)
Liked: 4625
I know it was confirmed to come to 2017 models a few days back but I'm still shocked that LG added Disney+ on these models...turned on my TV this morning and a pop up appeared stating that Disney+ was available...installed it and I'm good to go...I bought an Apple TV 4K last week so that's what I'll be using for all my streaming needs going forward but I still give LG and Disney credit for supporting as many older displays as possible
ynnek63 likes this.
TitusTroy is online now  
post #36483 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 AM
Member
 
Master Destructo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fired up Disney+ this morning with the LG app and decided Star Wars would be my inaugural watch. My jaw dropped when Dolby Vision popped up on the screen. Quickly checked my Onkyo to see if it was in Atmos as well, and was surprised to see that it was only DD 2.0. Can anyone using Apple TV confirm if the Star Wars films have Atmos (or something better than DD 2.0)?
Master Destructo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36484 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skytrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baden, Pa.
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 395
The app was on my 2017 model this morning. Got the one year deal from Verizon. Star Wars movies wouldn’t work. Watching Avengers in Dolby Vision now. No Dolby Digital Plus. Probably need to iron out some bugs yet.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Skytrooper is offline  
post #36485 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
Fired up Disney+ this morning with the LG app and decided Star Wars would be my inaugural watch. My jaw dropped when Dolby Vision popped up on the screen. Quickly checked my Onkyo to see if it was in Atmos as well, and was surprised to see that it was only DD 2.0. Can anyone using Apple TV confirm if the Star Wars films have Atmos (or something better than DD 2.0)?
Stereo audio is a limitation of the app on LG TVs.
Ph8te likes this.
dwaleke is offline  
post #36486 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skytrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baden, Pa.
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Well, it just froze. Got gig internet. Remote wasn’t able to turn off tv. Had to turn off Yamaha Receiver manually.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Skytrooper is offline  
post #36487 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Bacon_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
It's not as real Dynamic Tone Mapping but it's much better than HDR Standard severe highlights' clipping solution used to "fix" 2016 OLEDs' HDR Game mode, and it's still very comparable to 2019's HDR Game Mode results.

See here for additional reference about it.

Also consider that real DTM in HDR Game for 2017 models may never arrive due to hardware limitations (input lag will probably increase), so not necessarily because LG is "evil".

Dynamic Contrast high looks terrible and isn't a solution. Standard in PC mode also looks bad since it forces wide color gamut. Neither are good solutions.





We don't want dynamic contrast in game mode. We want a tone curve that follows the EOTF closer on the lower end before rolling off.
themcbrooms and Artman22 like this.
Bacon_67 is offline  
post #36488 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 AM
Member
 
Master Destructo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Stereo audio is a limitation of the app on LG TVs.
I noticed! I'm hoping someone with an Apple TV and Atmos set-up can let us know if the original Star Wars trilogy films have a new Atoms mix. I can only imagine my B7 will get an update eventually for better audio. I assume the newer LG OLEDs are also only getting stereo with the app?
Master Destructo is offline  
post #36489 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,882
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
I assume the newer LG OLEDs are also only getting stereo with the app?
From what I've read yes. They are all limited to stereo audio right now.
dwaleke is offline  
post #36490 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,949
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6861 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
In order to do a proper calibration expensive equipment is required and a good deal of expertise. For this reason most people pay a professional calibrator to do it for them.
Yep.....A good color meter is $15,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Is there anyway to calibrate HDR? Is there any programs or sites where I can calibrate an HDR picture?
Chad B : [email protected]
D-Nice : [email protected]
Gregg Loewen : [email protected]
Kris Deering [email protected]

If all else fails master list :

<<< Click Here >>>

<<< Click Here >>>
Artman22 and alexbarbel like this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #36491 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
P40L0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
Dynamic Contrast high looks terrible and isn't a solution.
That's plain untrue and, yes, it is one of the best possible solutions for HDR gaming on 2017 models as also stated by Rtings.

Quote:
We don't want dynamic contrast in game mode. We want a tone curve that follows the EOTF closer on the lower end before rolling off.
DTM at low 21ms input lag is just not possible with 2017 weaker chipsets, therefore current alternative solutions are the best you will ever get for these TVs, and still much better than "HDR Standard-like" tone mapping (even if with Auto Gamut).
P40L0 is offline  
post #36492 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Bacon_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
That's plain untrue and, yes, it is one of the best possible solutions for HDR gaming on 2017 models as also stated by Rtings.


DTM at low 21ms input lag is just not possible with 2017 weaker chipsets, therefore current alternative solutions are the best you will ever get for these TVs, and still much better than "HDR Standard-like" tone mapping (even if with Auto Gamut).

Rtings isnt infallible. Dynamic contrast high screws with the colors and crushes dark areas. It doesn't look good and I'd rather play with the dimmer image.



Again, everyone understands dynamic tone mapping in game mode isn't possible with these sets. What is possible is they adjust the dim tone curve to follow the EOTF until at least like 200 nits before rolling off.
themcbrooms, Artman22 and suarsg like this.
Bacon_67 is offline  
post #36493 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
P40L0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
Rtings isnt infallible. Dynamic contrast high screws with the colors and crushes dark areas. It doesn't look good and I'd rather play with the dimmer image.
Darkest detail is preserved increasing HDR Brightness from 50 to 53 (that's the max before you loose pure blacks) and you can bring back Colors' saturation increasing HDR Color value from 55 to 65.
In the end, try switching back and forth between calibrated HDR Game and calibrated HDR Technicolor (with Active HDR) presets.
You will be surprised by how close they will be in most contents.
P40L0 is offline  
post #36494 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,564
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
I noticed! I'm hoping someone with an Apple TV and Atmos set-up can let us know if the original Star Wars trilogy films have a new Atoms mix. I can only imagine my B7 will get an update eventually for better audio. I assume the newer LG OLEDs are also only getting stereo with the app?


Atmos is available via the ATV4K with Star Wars. Haven’t listened to it, but did get the DV/DA pop up when I quickly tested Episode IV.
Master Destructo likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #36495 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by P40L0 View Post
Darkest detail is preserved increasing HDR Brightness from 50 to 53 (that's the max before you loose pure blacks)
Are you sure? On my and a friend's C7 everything above 51 starts to make black pixels highlighted. Not true blacks anymore.
suarsg is offline  
post #36496 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
P40L0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by suarsg View Post
Are you sure? On my and a friend's C7 everything above 51 starts to make black pixels highlighted. Not true blacks anymore.
Yes, pretty sure and personally tested.
When using High DC in HDR Game, you can offset the black crush raising Brightness until Brightness 53, where you will still have pure blacks as in both movies' black bars and black screen transition all pixels will just be powered off.
The "gray" Pixel grid begins visible starting from Brightness 54.

For all other modes with Dynamic Contrast disabled (or set to Low with Active HDR) leave Brightness at 50.
P40L0 is offline  
post #36497 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,638
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
I just read on Engadget that all the Star Wars movies are available in 4k and toy story 1-3 are in 4k HDR which is great!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the content is available in 4K Dolby Vision but the Disney+ App needs to support it - I hear the WebOS 3.5 does not support 4K HDR/DV with Dolby Atmos which is awesome! Will check tonight!

Josh

Last edited by lax01; 11-13-2019 at 01:00 PM.
lax01 is online now  
post #36498 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
PeeJHooK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Was watching The Mandalorian on Disney+ this morning on my set through the native app. I'm finding that the blacks are not elevated compared to the app on the ATV 4K. The native Disney+ app on my lg C7 is clearly brighter and the black letterbox is still pure black. Whereas, with my ATV4K, it is clearly dimmer. I froze it during the exact same scene at 4:28, and the clouds in the background are clearly brighter on the native app than it is on ATV4K.

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just late to the game?

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121

Last edited by PeeJHooK; 11-12-2019 at 05:20 PM.
PeeJHooK is offline  
post #36499 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Bacon_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
I'm finding that the blacks are not elevated compared to the app on the ATV 4K. The native app on my lg C7 is clearly brighter and the black letterbox is still pure black. Whereas, with my ATV4K, it is clearly dimmer. I froze it during the exact same scene at 4:28, and the clouds in the background are clearly brighter on the native app than it is on ATV4K.

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just late to the game?

DV over HDMI has never been good on these TVs. It's better than it used to be, but clearly still broken in a lot of cases.
Bacon_67 is offline  
post #36500 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HD-Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bronx
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
DV over HDMI has never been good on these TVs.


This has been complete nonsense every single time you have posted it.
gomo657, Ph8te, william06 and 3 others like this.

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
HD-Master is online now  
post #36501 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Bacon_67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
This has been complete nonsense every single time you have posted it.

Please read through this 45 page thread and get back to me. TIA.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...sue-oleds.html
Bacon_67 is offline  
post #36502 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
P40L0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
This has been complete nonsense every single time you have posted it.
I agree.
DV through HDMI is stellar with X1X and Netflix app.
P40L0 is offline  
post #36503 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by themcbrooms View Post
The lack of firmware updates solely based on superficial reasons in order to sell the newest model is reason enough for me to stop buying LG products.

I get there are real hardware limitations for some items, but refusing to do things like changing how the 2017 models handle HDR nits, or fixing the SDR Game Mode to not be locked to Wide, etc, are a joke. They can easily do many of these things, but do not. I am not going to buy a 2k+ TV every year for software based features and updates, but they seem to think that’s what many will do.

LG is screwing themselves with these anti-consumer practices.

I understand it is easy to get upset about this. I am also a B7 owner. It would be great if they would port these enhancements to the older models. I also realize there is a cost to doing so, and most manufacturers do not provide new features to older TVs. I've accepted it. That's how they sell new TVs. Plus, hardware does change. The newer TVs have different chipsets. The software/firmware changes. If you know anything about software development, you know you have to thoroughly test. Seemingly minor changes can have unexpected consequences. Every generation of these TVs have issues and the engineers at LG have been historically good at listening to feedback from consumers and reviewers and fixing issues. Now, it isn't perfect. Go buy another TV from a different manufacturer if you want. That's certainly fine. Just be aware that the grass is not greener there. I only know of Vizio adding newer features to older TVs. Maybe there are others, but from my experience and knowledge on this subject, you get the benefits of features and fixes on the current model year, and this goes for most electronics. Smart phones and computers, sure, but not TVs.
Ph8te and Skytrooper like this.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #36504 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
and most manufacturers do not provide new features to older TVs. I've accepted it. That's how they sell new TVs. Plus, hardware does change. The newer TVs have different chipsets. The software/firmware changes. If you know anything about software development, you know you have to thoroughly test. Seemingly minor changes can have unexpected consequences. Every generation of these TVs have issues and the engineers at LG have been historically good at listening to feedback from consumers and reviewers and fixing issues.

Cool. So why is 1000nits content being tonemapped to 4000nits on all 2017 models? Every movie below 801cd/m² and above 1199cd/m² gets tonemapped correctly and to its appropriate value, but not if it's in-between. The majority of HDR movies are in fact mastered to 1000cd/m², so the majority of movies are actually being displayed wrong and as if they were 4000cd/m² on all 2017 models on the current firmware, resulting in unnecessary worse picture quality.
Such a major flaw and a bug that has been around for who knows how long but of course is not getting fixed because the 2018 and 2019 models do not have this broken firmware. So if you want it fixed - better go out and buy a new LG OLED TV!
themcbrooms and Artman22 like this.

Last edited by suarsg; 11-12-2019 at 05:15 PM.
suarsg is offline  
post #36505 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5155 Post(s)
Liked: 4625
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Stereo audio is a limitation of the app on LG TVs.
I don't know if it's a limitation or just Disney/LG purposely not giving 2017 models the full Disney+ features...they are in the market of selling TV's and services so they want people to buy the latest displays

I have an Apple TV 4K and the audio is much better...even with just standard 5.1 it sounds worlds better then the 2.0 available with the LG built-in app
TitusTroy is online now  
post #36506 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5155 Post(s)
Liked: 4625
Quote:
Originally Posted by suarsg View Post
Cool. So why is 1000nits content being tonemapped to 4000nits on all 2017 models? Every movie below 801cd/m² and above 1199cd/m² gets tonemapped correctly and to its appropriate value, but not if it's in-between. The majority of HDR movies are in fact mastered to 1000cd/m², so the majority of movies are actually being displayed wrong and as if they were 4000cd/m² on all 2017 models on the current firmware, resulting in unnecessary worse picture quality.
Such a major flaw and a bug that has been around for who knows how long but of course is not getting fixed because the 2018 and 2019 models do not have this broken firmware. So if you want it fixed - better go out and buy a new LG OLED TV!
is this confirmed to be an issue?...how come no one is talking much about it?...if this is indeed true then it sounds like a pretty serious issue that LG should take a look at...LG seems pretty proactive in regards to fixing major issues even on older model displays...someone on this forum or with contacts at LG should look into this...or contact Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest, he's in the UK but usually has a good pipeline to LG and if the issue is real then he will publicize it
TitusTroy is online now  
post #36507 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Member
 
themcbrooms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I understand it is easy to get upset about this. I am also a B7 owner. It would be great if they would port these enhancements to the older models. I also realize there is a cost to doing so, and most manufacturers do not provide new features to older TVs. I've accepted it. That's how they sell new TVs. Plus, hardware does change. The newer TVs have different chipsets. The software/firmware changes. If you know anything about software development, you know you have to thoroughly test. Seemingly minor changes can have unexpected consequences. Every generation of these TVs have issues and the engineers at LG have been historically good at listening to feedback from consumers and reviewers and fixing issues. Now, it isn't perfect. Go buy another TV from a different manufacturer if you want. That's certainly fine. Just be aware that the grass is not greener there. I only know of Vizio adding newer features to older TVs. Maybe there are others, but from my experience and knowledge on this subject, you get the benefits of features and fixes on the current model year, and this goes for most electronics. Smart phones and computers, sure, but not TVs.
I understand everything you are saying, but I think you are giving them a bit of a pass.

My simple argument is that the manufactures have it within their power to change how business is done in regards to older device support. It is not debatable whether it is possible or not, as we all know there are things they can roll out to older sets.

For the price one pays, support for a few years after should be included, and expected, just like almost every other electronics company does it (outside of TV's). People are not asking for something that is out of the ordinary in regards to longer support cycles. As for developing and testing software, a good chunk of that is being done on these new sets already, and the older sets can support many of these new features, easily. LG does it with their phones, and they can do it with their TV's, they just choose not to. There is no way these 1-2 year old sets are too underpowered after a year or two to gain some of these software changes. Just like new phone models come out out every year, many of the software updates and improvements get passed on to older devices a few years back as well. I am just asking LG to do the same with their TV's.

Again, as I noted above, I understand some features cannot be supported due to real limitations in the hardware, but much of what many people are asking for are not crazy requests. It is not like I am asking them to magically make my HDMI ports 2.1, or to change my subpixel structure.

The reality is that LG just wants to sell new sets each year, and if the hardware has a small bump, the software changes have to be touted as the reason to upgrade...I get it, and I am all for capitalism, but practices like this come at a cost for the manufacture. People will stop buying. At least we still have choices when it comes to TV's.

Last edited by themcbrooms; 11-12-2019 at 06:41 PM.
themcbrooms is offline  
post #36508 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
ppasteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Other choices yes, but they all do pretty much the same things in this regard. At least from what I have seen.
ppasteur is offline  
post #36509 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rsonnens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppasteur View Post
Other choices yes, but they all do pretty much the same things in this regard. At least from what I have seen.


Unless you watch internal apps on your Tesla, they seem to constantly push updates. Hahahahhahahah!
rsonnens is online now  
post #36510 of 36727 Old 11-12-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,638
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 412
No idea what the official Disney+ launch version was but I already had an update on my TV this evening and I'm now at 1.1.4

Lets hope they can fix the 5.1/Atmos issues!

Josh
lax01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
#lgoled55c7p #hdr #oled #xboxonex #movies , 2017 , atmos , audio out , burn in , calibration , contrast , dolby 5.1 , dolby vision , Emotiva , Gaming , hdmi arc , hdr , lg b7 , lg b7p , lg c7 , lg e7 , lg oled , lg oled 65b7p , mainboard , mount , Netflix , oled , oled c7 , oled55c7p , Onkyo , optical digital output , problem , settings , sj9 , sk10y , surround , truehd , xbox one x



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off